HURT

These evenings lately feature a former Oiler on most every channel. Kyle Brodziak—sent away because he lacked grit—doing yeoman’s work for the St. Louis Blues. Oilers sent him away eight summers ago and he is still playing in the NHL. I remember Brodziak well as a player, he improved his skating enormously and was the talk of training camp 2007—he effectively passed all of the other prospects in a summer—and arrived as an NHLer. When you send away a perfectly useful roster player for 10 cents on the dollar, you suffer, and that’s for sure.

First of all, Oleg Znarok should shut his festering gob, the tit. Last time I checked, these men represent their country on a volunteer basis. Extremely poor behavior by Mr. Znarok and that kind of thing reflects poorly on the entire coaching community. This is not a club player, this is a three week volunteer. For this to be the story in a tournament that basically represents our goodbye to Pavel Datsyuk is a pure shame. Testimony I guess that true class and true asshattery know no borders and can live side by side.

YAKUPOV81

WWSPD?

You didn’t ask, but I will tell you exactly what Sam Pollock would do with this player. Yakupov did have some success with various centers (50.5 Corsi for percentage 5×5 with Leon Draisaitl (259:30), 51.9 with Connor McDavid in 205 minutes). The line of Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov was almost 52 percent in possession according to Corsica.hockey.

Sam Pollock would put Yakupov on a strong line until Christmas, hoping for 10 goals and a good stretch of games. A veteran center might be the ticket, but 97 had success and he is a teenager.

• Ralph Krueger during the lockout: “To have been able to watch Nail has been nothing but a pleasure. He’s a shooting machine!  To have double digit goals in that Russian league already is nothing short of outstanding. He’s second in the league in shots on goal — in the whole league — it’s really phenomenal. He exudes so much confidence. And those Russian teams play so defensive. They play such a structured defensive game. And to top it all off, Nail is not on such a good team.” Source

Nail Yakupov shots-per-game by league and season:

• 2012-13 KHL: 3.4
  • 2012-13 NHL: 1.7
  • 2013-14 NHL: 1.9
  • 2014-15 NHL: 2.4
  • 2015-16 NHL: 2.1

Nail’s 3.7 shot attempts per game this past season (he was 4.16 per game in 2014-15) is good, not great. Taylor Hall posted 5.78 shot attempts per game this past season, Alex Ovechkin 8.74. The Oilers need a sniper, Nail has that skill in his toolbox. A team acquiring him will probably get a veteran C with him and work on Nail’s aim.

Most people are down on Nail today, and there is little doubt we are dealing with a flawed player. That said, my bet is that a smart GM will bet on him. Is that GM Peter Chiarelli?

I am seeing a lot of comments (twitter, some in the LT section) saying Edmonton should hire Scott Luce. I wonder if this is too soon—Bob Green has had one draft, folks—but Luce is a bona fide scouting director and Peter Chiarelli will no doubt continue to put his stamp on things. For me, I think the Oilers scouts did a good job with the 2015 selections PC did not trade. Interesting development, I would probably stay the course with the amateur side.

I had him on last year’s draft list and Schweri is still eligible for the 2016 draft. Small and skilled, he certainly has enough talent to be considered for this year’s draft.

Jon wrote an interesting item on the Leafs and Mark Fayne-for-Tyler Bozak idea we talked about here last week. One thing we should always keep in mind: Our own biases about players like Mark Fayne (or Nail Yakupov) may not be shared by some or all of the 29 general managers. I believe Mark Fayne has real value, many who comment here and elsewhere do not. How many GMs feel Mark Fayne can help them? My guess is many.

100 Responses to "HURT"

1. Klima's_Bucket says:

According to the Panthers website,” Luce has been responsible for the Panthers drafting notable players, including Aleksander Barkov, Aaron Ekblad, Erik Gudbranson, Jonathan Huberdeau and Dmitry Kulikov.”
    One of these things is not like the other…

2. Jethro Tull says:

“First of all, Oleg Znarok should shut his festering gob, the tit.”

I reread this in Vinny Jones’ voice!

Yesterday, I posted that the Russian coach needed to stay classy and maybe address why his team played it’s best game AFTER elimination. It generated some mild, respectful push back, highlighting that the Russians did well.

From the above TSN article:

Panarin said Russia had played with more freedom after a weight of expectation was lifted following its semifinal defeat to Finland on Saturday.

“I think we just relaxed today,” said Panarin, a Calder Trophy finalist. “Until now … the pressure was serious.”

I don’t think that’s a pleasant locker room to be in.

3. Soup Fascist says:

If Fayne is held in even modest regard, why was he not snatched off waivers last year? While his salary is a bit high – it is not unbelievable.

Given his previous success with Andy Greene, one would think Jersey may bite, though spending to the cap is not an option for them.

Would Jersey flip Severson for Fayne if a bit of salary were retained?

Luce has had some nice additions outside round 1, including some the Panthers did not sign (Pakarinen, Donskoi).

Soup Fascist:
    If Fayne is held in even modest regard, why was he not snatched off waivers last year?While his salary is a bit high – it is not unbelievable.

Would Jersey flip Severson for Fayne if a bit of salary were retained?

6. Jethro Tull says:

Hurt – Which version?

Jonny or Trent?

Both have their good points – Trent Reznor wrote it from the bottom of a 50′ well of self-loathing, but Jonny, he lived it.

Jethro Tull:
    Hurt – Which version?

Jonny or Trent?

I love both, but push to shove, Cash. That is my bias, though. Johnny Cash IS music to me.

8. kdunbar says:

I have seen a few leaf fans suggesting a mid round pick for Bozak, wonder if he could be got for the Pittsburgh 3rd rounder. It would free up money and their crowded C position.

I like the idea of adding Bozak and then putting him as a 3C or swap into RW at times while having Leon also swapping as a C or RW. Provides a tremendous amount of roster flexibility through the season.

Bozak is only under contract for two more years and is a bonified NHL centre.

9. Woogie63 says:

Yak gets us pennies on the dollar and we don’t have a player ready to play 2RW.
    Spend a year with Yak and a legit center if he is still crap it has only cost you pennies.

10. russ99 says:

If we can get Luce, by all means do so, Chia.

Big fan of both Trent and Johnny and each version stands on its own. Gotta be partial to Trent, since seeing him play it live on the “Spiral” tour along with the video of the coyote decaying was something to behold…

11. Woogie63 says:

This year’s Young Gun Tournament in Penticton is going to feature some terrific talent!

12. Soup Fascist says:

Lowetide: Teams who may have been interested could have passed because of the cap hit, or possibly preferred to trade a struggling player of their own.

To be clear, i think they should keep Fayne until there are three better right side options (I Realize this has been your position for a while) . I just don’t believe there is much in trade value now. If the choice is take back a worse contract or live with an overpriced D-man in your third pairing – well, better the devil you know.

13. blainer says:

My take on Yak is that I really wonder what he is like as a team mate. It just seems odd the way this story played out.

I do wonder if the coach was getting push back from the players and put the blame on his shoulders. Just a total guess on my part as I really think there is a disconnect on the oil with his team mates.

As I have said in the past .. Yak’s team mates chose not to pas the puck to him many times when he had wide open lanes to the net.

A lot of us on here have often played with players we didn’t want to pass the puck to for many reasons..they are a hog or lose it all the time ..or .. just shoot the puck wide. this does happen at the pro level .. not often but from time to time. IMO

I do believe Yak can have success on another team with a fresh start and a two way passing centre who will pass the puck to him with confidence.

On Fayne LT.. Also like this player and would be very happy to keep him. IMO he does have value and a Bozak for Fayne swap is fine as long as they replace him with a D that Ricki likes..

14. zatch says:

General observation I’ve seen in Eastern European GM’s and coaches: there are a lot of politics and point making and petty grudges at play far too often. The Czechs are bad about this, and have thrown out some garbage rosters in the name of slighting enemies and, bizarrely, attempting to compare the very weak home leagues to the NHL. Slovaks are also guilty of this.

Znarok almost certainly has a grudge against Yakupov and would be considered a completely unprofessional hack in most of the rest of the world. His team performed completely under expectations and that says a lot.

15. Soup Fascist says:

Woogie63:
    Yak gets us pennies on the dollar and we don’t have a player ready to play 2RW.

Unless of course one still sees Drai playing RW, then your 2RW looks pretty good as Jordan Eberle.

Now if Eberle gets whacked in favour of a RHS defenceman then I agree with the pump and dump with Yak.

My concern is that Yak is already mentally putting out on the 18th hole of his Oiler career. Scared to imagine what a disengaged Yak looks like.

16. Max Powers says:

The oilers have shown a tendency in the last 10 years to give up on some people too early and never give up on others. I’m not sure which camp Bob green would fall into five years from now but those morons have to start acting responsibly. That’s all I know.

17. Ducey says:

So if I have this right, many people here would trade Nuge for Barrie (to make the playoffs) but keep Yak and hope he develops.

I don’t think you can have it both ways.

Fact is that trading Yak would be addition by subtraction for the Oilers. He puts up a decent CF% with good linemates, but who doesnt? The Oilers need more guys who can carry a line themselves. Yak does not and apparently will not play defense and doesnt score enough. 4 yr has made that plain.

Anyway, Yak has traded himself. He has chaffed at his usage go his coach and his recent remarks make it clear he has demanded a trade. And he has done this publically. Ignoring that Mozza ball ignores reality.

Chia has no choice.

Maybe they can trade him for Ryan Murray and his gold medal. Sobs.

18. Jethro Tull says:

zatch:

Obviously, the Oilers would be suspicious if Yak was sent to Siberia, so the Russians did the next worst thing: Made up shit on twitter about him.

19. Clay says:

This won’t be a popular comment, but I feel Yak is what he is, and don’t know that the Oilers should spend any more time “developing” him.

I use quotations of course, because we can all agree he’s been handled like shit to this point.

But it doesn’t matter going forward. The team and player have developed a history and attitude with each other, and what are the odds that changes now?

I find it sad on many levels. A very fine human and potentially good hockey player has had his career mishandled, maybe permanently derailed, and the Oilers have squandered a first-overall draft pick.

Yak isn’t blameless in this either. Yes, he hasn’t been gifted linemates and minutes like some of his teammates, but he’s also stood out in a bad way with what has been given him (more often than not).

I’ve stayed on the sidelines when it comes to Yak, mostly because I really want him to turn out and I can’t ignore the way he’s been handled. But if I take off my Oilers goggles and look critically, I’ll never be able to describe him as a player that made the most of his opportunity.

20. Klima's_Bucket says:

Bozak has a list of 12 teams he would agree to be traded to.
    Would Edmonton be on his list since he would be destined to play 3rd line?
    Or would he prefer somewhere else where he gets top six ice and PP time?

Also, the 2010 & 2011 draft makes up a big chunk of Florida’s team.

Gudbranson, Howden, Bjugstad, Petrovic from 2010.
    Huberdeau, Trocheck, Shaw from 2011.

They also picked up some depth guys in Grimaldi, Brickley, & Rau those years.

They traded Hyman to Toronto for McKegg when he would not sign in Florida.

They were unable to sign Donskoi & Pakarinen due to 50man contract limits.

Those two draft years gave a solid foundation to their rebuild as they move forward.

From those two drafts the Oilers picked up:

Hall, Davidson, Marincin (which became Gryba who is on the verge of no asset if he walks)
    Nuge, Klefbom, Rieder (which became Kessy who is on the verge of no asset if Oilers don’t qualify him)
    Pitlick, Musil, Simpson are long shots. I wish them well.

Current Panthers roster players from those two drafts – 8
    Current Oilers roster players from those two drafts – 4

Go Oilers.

21. hunter1909 says:

1 – Yaks gets dissed outside the Oilers organization. He therefore grabs a brain, turning up next training camp raring to assume his place as a first overall pick.

22. Bruce McCurdy says:

Oleg Znarok should shut his festering gob, the tit.

His kind really makes me puke!

hunter1909:

Wild misrepresentation of my opinion, which is stated here

24. sliderule says:

I say no to Luce.

During his tenure panthers have three players drafted out of second round or later who have played 300 games +.

The oilers also have three so no improvement there.

If you want improvement look to San Jose ,Back Hawks or Islanders with 10 , 9 and 8 players over same period.

25. Bruce McCurdy says:

russ99: Green had a nice draft last year, but if he was part of the old boy cabal that pushed through the Reinhart trade, he’s a part of the problem, and not the solution.

This narrative is getting a little tired. Chiarelli asked Green for his opinion, and got it. But the trade is on Chiarelli. Crediting the new guy with good trades while blaming the “old boy cabal” for bad ones is a trifle too convenient for my liking. Moreover we do not yet know how it will turn out, despite all those strident voices that wanted Reinhart tried, convicted and executed within 5 minutes of the deal being made.

For a guy whose boss gave up five draft picks in the first three rounds, Bob Green did pretty well for himself in the back half of his (ahem) First draft.

26. Yeti says:

hunter1909: 2 – Lowetide’s column today bewailing Kyle Brodziak, how he wasn’t given a chance; meanwhile Lowetide himself is one of Yakipov’s consistent “get out of town asap” proponents.

Hitting the sauce early today, Hunter?

27. Wolfie says:

Yak has been grossly mishandled. Ralph is the only one who supported him. Eakins was a disaster, the erosion of Yak’s confidence and his perceived value lay squarely at his feet and by extension at MacT’s….

TMac is handling Yak based on reputation and because it was ruined under Eakins, Yak doesn’t get the benefit of a doubt.

28. Water Fire says:

I saw Yak getting opportunities and not running with them.

Most players have to earn things.

For me I think there is extra risk in drafting guys who march to the beat of a drummer from very far off lands.

If he stays over here he will probably find a career but won’t cover his draft position.

I agree he needs a pump and dump. Let him score with Co nor and a good left winger and the narrative will change very quickly. It’s amazing how fast it happens these days.

There is a lot of value to polish up there.

29. admiralmark says:

I dont see Chiareli et al pushing Green aside at this early a juncture. So would Luce consider a role as head of Pro Scouts I wonder? If Green can make the jump from Major Junior to Head Amateur NHL effectively, then why cant Luce go from Head Amateur to Head Pro? Isnt the running theory on Green that he is simply a great assessor of talent and therby his skills translate?

30. fifthcartel says:

Yeah, I agree here. Its a lot easier to take on a cap hit in the off season than in the midst of a season.

I would hold on to Fayne and go Davidson-Fayne but I don’t see that happening.

31. OilClog says:

Fayne for Bozak… All giddy up day!

Yak will always be one of my favourite players, yet his time with the Oilers is over.

At this point the return for Yak does not matter, Chia is trying to change the identity of the Oilers, trying to pump up the trade value for a player that just wants to forget… There’s no time for such folly, move on and get to work.

Addition by Subtraction.

Last spam for this piece:

*** SPAM ***

New Because Oilers:

Oiler Right Shot Dman search #4 – Sami Vatanen

*** END SPAM ***

33. Soup Fascist says:

List of places Bob Green has not been successful:

*crickets

The guy has built successful teams in Medicine Hat and Edmonton – granted not NHL teams – but shows an ability to spot talent. His college / overage free agent signings have looked very good. Folks, let’s not blow the guy out of town after ONE (what would appear to be very efficient) draft, for the next shiny thing.

Good organizations – and I hope we will one day meet that description, again – do not do that.

34. OilClog says:

There’s a trade Bruin.

Something about a pick owed, something about a defender with perhaps a rev or two left in the old Engine.

Not a long term solution, yet an immediate impact.

Don’t be shocked

35. Ryan says:

No one has mentioned one major issue with Yakupov’s development being the KHL factor. During the first three years of his pro career, he didn’t play a single game in the AHL or the OHL. He won the green jacket two years in a row without a demotion. If he was a good boy from Saskatchewan, how likely would it be that based on his abilities that he would have played all of those games in the NHl?

Ducey,

I don’t think you can have it both ways.

I’ve read this a few time and still can’t think why those two things have to be mutually exclusive.

Care to explain?

For the record I like Barrie, but wouldn’t trade RNH for him, nor would COL need/want RNH (unless they trade Duchene)

37. LadiesloveSmid says:

OilClog,

I hope that’s Chara and not Seidenberg

38. admiralmark says:

Clay,

You know what? Your commentary hits the Yak situation right on the nose… I 100% agree with all you said and how you said it. Which is difficult considering all thats wrapped up in this player. Well stated.

The team should of invested themselves heavily this off season… Imploring him to spend a month with Oates. Telling him he would be given a fresh start in the lineup. etc etc. Bring him in and as LT stated given him the Sam Pollock treatment. Perhaps the skies open and Yak looks like a 1st overall? Perhaps he has a modicum of improvement enough to raise his trade value out of the gutter? Or he remains the same? Nothing to lose… but potentially much to gain. Isnt this what smart teams do? Are we still looking at a team thats lacking in this basic NHL 101 knowledge of asset management? Really just get the feeling that they decided sometime during last season he was a write off. And I think Yak himself picked up on it. I dont blame the kid for wanting out.

Soup Fascist:
    List of places Bob Green has not been successful:

*crickets

In terms of who they picked and where they picked, the Oiler draft last year was a home run as well.

40. LadiesloveSmid says:

Ryan:
    No one has mentioned one major issue with Yakupiv’s development being the KHL factor.During the first three years of his pro career, he didn’t play a single game in the AHL or the OHL.He won the green jacket two years in a row without a demotion.If he was a good boy from Saskatchewan, how likely would it be that based on his abilities that he would have played all of those games in the NHl?

how many players in the league had a worse PDO during that period?

I’d give him a centre that can play before demoting him. Derek Roy even! Just not Letestu, Gordon, Lander, or Arcobello

41. Ducey says:

Wolfie:
    Yak has been grossly mishandled.Ralph is the only one who supported him.Eakins was a disaster, the erosion of Yak’s confidence and his perceived value lay squarely at his feet and by extension at MacT’s….

Yak played with the Oilers best C – Nuge. Can’t play with him.

He played ok with Horc but the fans demanded Horc be traded.

He could only play with Roy until this year. Good teams don’t have Roy as one of their top 3 Cs.

Can’t play with Leon and Hall.

So we are left with McDavid. Eberle is better fit. Anyone can play with McDavid.

I can’t agree with the “Oilers mishandled Yak” meme. He can only play with certain players. Is that Oilers fault? He chaffed at playing D ( something almost every other player on the planet has to do these days). Oilers fault? His agent got involved early and Yak just publically demanded a trade. Oilers fault?

At best he has been a poor fit. There is no doubt he is a bust. It makes me weep to think about where the Oilers would be had he been like all the other #1s taken in the years around him.

There will no pump and dump. Yak isnt interested in being pumped. That, like most of the responsibility for the mess, is on him.

42. geowal says:

Your paragraph about shot attempts does not match the preceding table. It sure looks like he had 2.1 per game, where does 3.7 come from, is that situational?

Edit: reread 3 more times….shots vs shot ATTEMPTS, gotcha, never mind.

Soup Fascist:
    List of places Bob Green has not been successful:

*crickets

geowal:

Shot attempts.

45. Water Fire says:

Fayne may have value to other teams depending on who does the analytics and if they are listened to because his numbers are good against top comp.

I think he passed through waivers because as said teams like to trade contracts and it was earlier in the season.

That being said the Oilers need a player like that or two.

The flip side is that Staples finds him weak in chance differential so it depends how teams assess.

OilClog:
    There’s a trade Bruin.

Not a long term solution, yet an immediate impact.

Don’t be shocked

Seidenberg or Chara. Interesting.

47. PeOiler says:

Ever peruse upon an album called ‘the Legend of Jesse James’ Lowetide? 1981 or 82 I think. Superstar lineup included Levon Helm, Johnny Cash, Charlie Daniels, Emmylou Harris…and the list goes on.
    I think it would be your kind of party.

48. Ryan says:

The other issue with Yakupov is that there is a very real and unfortunately likely possibility that he’s a draft bust.

In the old days, everyone used to project Oilers players on the Sedin production curve. Every player who could string together a 30 point season was going to magically be a ppg player in their draft plus six year.

Yakupov has thoroughly mediocre record as a professional hockey player.

Other than draft position, is there any math that suggests he has a pulse?

49. Bruce McCurdy says:

OilClog:
    There’s a trade Bruin.

Not a long term solution, yet an immediate impact.

Don’t be shocked

Not in this universe, but maybe in one of them.

50. flyfish1168 says:

Bruce McCurdy: Breaking: Boston agrees to reacquire Andrew Ference in lieu of the draft pick “owed” for the Oilers hiring of their fired GM Peter Chiarelli.

Not in this universe, but maybe in one of them.

Dam you got me excited and jumping joy until that last line

51. Ryan says:

LadiesloveSmid: how many players in the league had a worse PDO during that period?

That wasn’t my point.

Yakupov struggled for long stretches and he kept getting NHL games.

Draisaitl came out flat and was (eventually at least) sent back to junior in his first season. He also got a taste of at least some AHL action in his second year.

With Yakupov, there was the implicit threat by virtue of his passport, that if you sent him down, he could just bolt to the KHL possibly never to return. That in recent history is the problem as we all know with drafting Russian players especially with top draft picks in that the KHL threat affects how you can develop them.

Now before anyone tires to call me xenophobic or anti-Russian, I am a quarter Russian. 🙂

Woogie63:
    Yak gets us pennies on the dollar and we don’t have a player ready to play 2RW.

The Oilers’ coach isn’t interested. He wants to play his systems, and have his players play his systems. The coach wants low maintenance players.

The Oilers have the wrong coach for Yak. The sooner the team and him part ways, the better.

McLellan is a systems coach. Systems’ coaches hate outliers. Yakupov needs a coach who is willing to adjust his systems to best fit the players he has. That is not McLellan.

PeOiler:

Ever peruse upon an album called ‘the Legend of Jesse James’ Lowetide?1981 or 82 I think.Superstar lineup included Levon Helm, Johnny Cash, Charlie Daniels, Emmylou Harris…and the list goes on.
    I think it would be your kind of party.

No, just found it so will have a listen! Thanks!

54. Jethro Tull says:

I think a few people here should re-read LT’s article at least a couple of more times.

Yakupov is a very polarising subject, but we should not forget that he is a young man from a foreign country with different moral and religious values. In no way should his lack of success at hockey influence our opinion of him as a human being. By all accounts, that we see and hear first hand from family and friends in Edmonton, he is a caring, family oriented pleasant young man.

There are a lot of generalisations and broad sweeping comments on here this morning regard Nail, and to me, some of them are way off base. I’ll try to address some, no names to protect the innocent.

In his first season, shortened though it was, there was very good math evidence that he was tracking nicely.

Since when do the fans demand management trade a player, and the management does it, particularly when that management was know for being stubborn?

So EVERYONE used to predict Oilers players against the Sedins did they? Wow.

Guys and Gals, Yak can still be a bust, whilst still being a damn good hockey player, whilst still being a damn good human being. A few throw away comments made by a man that will be lucky to have a job at the end of the week after failing to win a cup on home soil with Datsyuk, Ovechkin and Panarin to name a few should not define Nail Yakupov.

55. Soup Fascist says:

Lowetide: Yes. The problem with identifying and procuring talent is that it takes some time to see results. Perhaps Green won’t get that chance in Edmonton.

56. Ducey says:

godot10: The Oilers’ coach isn’t interested. He wants to play his systems, and have his players play his systems.The coach wants low maintenance players.

The Oilers have the wrong coach for Yak.The sooner the team and him part ways, the better.

McLellan is a systems coach.Systems’ coaches hate outliers.Yakupov needs a coach who is willing to adjust his systems to best fit the players he has.That is not McLellan.

Yeah. What the Oilers need is less structure. That has worked well.

There are very few players that don’t have to play within the system. Ovenchicken, Kessel, maybe Malkin. Any others?

The ONLY way you get away with it is being a dominant offensive player. Even then, you have to at least fake it. A coach has to be able to justify some goals against by noting the player will cash a lot of chances when he gets them. Kessel and Ovi are money in front of the net.

Yak isnt a dominant offensive player. He has not shown an ability to be a sniper ( he can’t hit his spots or the net most of the time). He does not beat defenders one on one.

In fact the best part of his game seems to be on the cycle. You know, a system.

I’d say his best chance is to go elsewhere and have his Cogliano moment. When he realises that he needs to commit to the system instead of blaming the coach.

57. mustang says:

Nail Yakupov, I can’t believe this dead horse is still being beat. The best thing for Nail would have been spending time in the AHL finding his professional game for a year. Only problem with this is, like stated above is the the threat of the “KHL”

Nail, I believe received bad advice, from his agent and his father with regards to what he needs to do to be successful. Funny how his best friend(Galchenyuk) dropped their mutual agent and his performance picked up nicely.

Part of the blame is on the Oilers, but the majority of the blame is on Yak and his advisory team.

This narrative about not given a chance is bogus, if Nail would have taken the bull by the horns and did what the coaching staff was trying to teach him and stopped listening to outside influences then things could have been different. Nail has always done what Nail wanted to do on the ice, facts are, it doesn’t work in professional hockey.

No one player is bigger or greater than the team.

58. JimmyV1965 says:

Seems to me that PC should be talking to the new Panthers’ GM about trades rather than trying to pick up their ex director of scouting. Feels like there’s a wind of change blowing through Florida, and not for the good. The odds of pulling off a lopsided deal with a new GM is more likely early on I think. Even the braintrust in Colorada is probably more cautious when making deals now, after some bigtime flops.

59. Water Fire says:

All NHL players are required to play
    the team system, barring the very few that might be dangerous enough to build around.

Especially in the playoffs where single mistakes are so often back breakers.

Yak does not get with the program and isn’t dangerous. His situation reminds me of Drouin who once humbled became a key part of the attack . But it seems he first had to submit to his reality.

I don’t think players get ‘ruined’ so often these days when things are much more regulated than before. Some players can’t do it, some won’t do it , sometimes the team doesn’t value a good player but they seem to flourish elsewhere. Yak hasn’t played very well as of yet compared to Petry or Brodziak say.

Soup Fascist: You could be right. He wasn’t “Chia’s Guy” so the leash gets pretty short with that caveat applied. I hope that is not the way things play out. Green is a good hockey man.

I agree, hope he stays.

61. Ryan says:

Jethro Tull:

Yakupov is a very polarising subject, but we should not forget that he is a young man from a foreign country with different moral and religious values.In no way should his lack of success at hockey influence our opinion of him as a human being.By all accounts, that we see and hear first hand from family and friends in Edmonton, he is a caring, family oriented pleasant young man.

There are a lot of generalisations and broad sweeping comments on here this morning regard Nail, and to me, some of them are way off base.I’ll try to address some, no names to protect the innocent.

So EVERYONE used to predict Oilers players against the Sedins did they?Wow.

Guys and Gals, Yak can still be a bust, whilst still being a damn good hockey player, whilst still being a damn good human being.A few throw away comments made by a man that will be lucky to have a job at the end of the week after failing to win a cup on home soil with Datsyuk, Ovechkin and Panarin to name a few should not define Nail Yakupov.

Jonathan Willis wrote a nice article about Yakupov.

Yakupov got eaten alive in terms of possession stats in his first season. He score six goals on 13 shots in his final three games that buffed the boxcars.

62. flyfish1168 says:

Jethro Tull:

So EVERYONE used to predict Oilers players against the Sedins did they?Wow.

I totally agree with you. It makes me angry people can’t separate the hockey player from the person away from the game.

When Yak arrived to Edmonton post lockout. We saw a confident teenager. His 1st year was very good for any 18 year old rookie. Yak now, appears broken, lacks confidence and fighting to get his career back on track. Its sad to see a player with the tools but not able to put it all together.

People forget an 18 year old coming into a men’s professional league will need guidance. Everyone can see he needed help, the right role model and mentor. Management and his agent never really help provide this for Yak on a consistent base. Its pretty difficult to find consistency and guidance when you have had 4 different coaches and systems in your 4 years of professional hockey. Its difficult to master 1 or 2 systems let alone a different one each of your 4 years. I remember a comment from Yak that he would rather play with Derek Roy for consistency and that Derek gave him on ice direction. I felt at that time it showed some maturity and Yak willing to take guidance from a veteran player. Being kept on a tight leash by and idiot coach for a 1.5 years also,no favors done in his development here.

Yak probably needs a change in scenery and agent.

People should keep it in prospective that the NHL is a difficult league let alone an 18 years old coming coming in and trying to master it. JMHO

63. rickithebear says:

Yakupov
    12-13 48gm
    -4 -.083 GD/GM

13-14 63gm
    -33 -.524 GD/gm

14-15 81gm
    -35 .432

15-16 60gm
    -16 .165

Addition by subtraction.

You bet!

But questioning the pick?

might want to look at the forwards taken around him.

top 6 FWDS
    1. Yakupov 252gm 50gm 61A 111pts
    3. Galchenyuk 275gm 72G 88A 160P
    10. forsberg 182gm 60g 133P
    11. Grigorenko 142gm 12G 29A 41p
    12. Faksa 45gm 5g 12A 17P
    13. Girgensons 202gm 30g 40A 70p
    Scouts did not want him and Hertl had one of the 3 best age NHLe for forwardshb

64. Jethro Tull says:

Ryan: Please feel free to address my comments directly in the future. I would find that preferable to your sanctimonious rant.

Chill out and have some FotC. It’s a holiday. Pop a top and relax in the sun.

I would find that preferable to you getting personal.

65. russ99 says:

You’re going to hear about the old boys as long as MacTavish and Howson are supplying Chiarelli information to make moves.

What other professional organization keeps the previous regime around after hiring new management?

I’ll give Green a curve based on his previous success and a good draft last year, but that Oil King bias and supposed “inside information” shouldn’t be how we run the hockey department anymore.

66. Genjutsu says:

Ryan:

In the old days, everyone used to project Oilers players on the Sedin production curve.Every player who could string together a 30 point season was going to magically be a ppg player in their draft plus six year.

Yakupov has thoroughly mediocre record as a professional hockey player.

Other than draft position, is there any math that suggests he has a pulse?

“Yakupov has thoroughly mediocre record as a professional hockey player.”

Leading the NHL in rookie scoring is pretty far from mediocre.

You’re ability to not let facts get in the way of your narrative is as impressive as ever.

Well done sir.

Well done.

67. hags9k says:

I’m all for keeping the centers 3, and am wondering what Nuge might look like on the wing with 29 or 97.

Here’s a crazy idea. Keep all 3 of them AND add the vet RH 3C. Depth please.

68. Hockey Buddha says:

hags9k:

Here’s a crazy idea.Keep all 3 of them AND add the vet RH 3C.Depth please.

Agreed. Absolutely no need to trade a centre.

Similarly, hiring Scott Luce doesn’t mean that we have to get rid of Green. Continue to build organizational depth by hiring smart people.

69. Wolfie says:

Ducey,

Eberle had some stretches of ineffectiveness with McDavid. Yet he still was given the opportunity to work through it without being buried in the lineup.

Yak has never been afforded the same luxury. And they haven’t had the C depth until now to be able to play Yak with some offensive quality when he was shuffled down.

Hall, Nuge and Eberle have gotten free range which is part of what still ails the Oilers. No support. And because they had established some offensive ability before Yak arrived they always got the push. Yak came into a scenario and had a pretty good rookie campaign. Then the Oilers proceeded to piss it away by not giving him adequate support.

Yak is not %100 blameless but the Oilers have shown an inability to properly build or develop players going on a decade now…

70. pocession charge says:

Ryan:

Jonathan Willis wrote a nice article about Yakupov.

Since you brought it up, Yakupov’s pocession numbers are better than many of the other forwards on the team. How do you explain that?

And please stop referencing his plus/minus from his first two seasons. It’s a shitty stat and should not be used to support your argument. Plus/minus varies wildly for an individual player from season to season and is not a good indicator of defensive ability. I’m not saying he is strong defensively but he’s made huge improvements in the past couple of seasons and is better than other players in his own zone (looking at you Eberle).

You are narrowly focused on your anti-Yakupov narrative but that’s not surprising coming from someone who has been trying to trade him since 2012.

71. Wolfie says:

Last year Yak should have gotten a push. Instead they shove Draisaitl into a situation he wasn’t ready for and by Christmas he was back in Junior. They almost ruined Drai doing that. This year they did the same thing with Nurse.

This year Purcell got the push ahead of Yak. A player who was clearly not going to be with the organization past this year vs a 1st overall pick who put up better numbers than Stamkos in Jr and that you have under control for another 3 or 4 years….

The decisions the Oilers brass have made have been baffling.

72. Kepler62 says:

Great read over at the Copper and Blue that takes a statistical look at the Sekera-Fayne pairing. They actually did extremely well possession wise and in providing good offence and defence against top opposition – article compares to 80 other pairings in the NHL and they are slightly above middle-of-the-pack.

Gotta say, Mark Fayne as the #2 RH side guy really isn’t a terrible idea – especially if the addition is a more offensive player like Tyson Barrie or Justin Faulk.

Klefbom – Barrie/Faulk

Sekera – Fayne

Davidson – Gryba

I think signing Gryba is a must. He was extremely consistent in a 3rd pairing role last year and should be brought back to be a solid pairing with Davidson.

#7 Dman should be David Musil or Jordan Oesterle or someone like Clendening or Pardy. Nurse and Reinhart should both be in the AHL to start the year.

73. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    Oleg Znarok should shut his festering gob, the tit.

His kind really makes me puke!

Coach is toeing the Putin line in a high profile tournament they hosted. Especially in light of the recent doping scandal that really isnt getting enough play globally considering its scale, they are targeting Nail to shame and make an example of.

When he was leading them to World Junior glory they would put up with his ethnicity and Islam, but never herald him in the same way they would one of their own. Nail played junior hockey in Canada–strike one, and he played for his small hometown team during the lockout rather than a proper Russian club- strike two. He is struggling to find his form now? No patience for the Muslim Tatar. Strike 3 you are out.

You want to blame anyone for running their yap, blame Putin.

Now, Nail has to take ownership for his play–I am not absolving him here. But you have to look at these dark times in Putin Russia and provide some context to this story. There is much more to it than just hockey.

74. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

hags9k:

Here’s a crazy idea.Keep all 3 of them AND add the vet RH 3C.Depth please.

Kepler62:
    Great read over at the Copper and Blue that takes a statistical look at the Sekera-Fayne pairing.They actually did extremely well possession wise and in providing good offence and defence against top opposition – article compares to 80 other pairings in the NHL and they are slightly above middle-of-the-pack.

Klefbom – Barrie/Faulk

Sekera – Fayne

Davidson – Gryba

#7 Dman should be David Musil or Jordan Oesterle or someone like Clendening or Pardy.Nurse and Reinhart should both be in the AHL to start the year.

Would Mark Fayne even dress for any of the 4 teams remaining in the NHL playoffs?

Not St. Louis. Not Tampa. Pittsburgh’s D is build for speed, so not them. San Jose probably prefers Polak’s physicality. So probably 0 for 4…at best 1 for 4, and that one is on the 3rd pairing.

Fayne is a 3rd pairing D. People should stop pimping him as anything higher. The Oilers need two guys better than him on the right side.

If he is playing 2nd pairing, the Oilers are going to be picking in the top 8 against next year.

There is a need to get better. Fayne has problems playing McLellan’s system is the other issue.

If the Oilers are running 3 balanced pairs, 2A, 2B, and 2C…then Sekera/Fayne is okay, but one is still getting a better D than Fayne for 2C.

but in more typical setup where 1 > 2 > 3 in the pairings, than one needs somebody better for Sekera on the 2nd pair

76. bendelson says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: This. I was even saying that last summer when we got McDavid. I was almost universally shot down for saying we should still bring in a veteran RH centre. Centres can slide over to wing much easier than the reverse. 5 NHL centres on a roster is a good thing. Look at San Jose with Marleau, Couture, Pavelski, Thornton, Hertl. Slide some over to wing.

Agreed. If they run RNH, McD, Drai, Letustu, they are one injury away from having Letestu getting his head kicked in on the 3rd line once again. We know what that looks like… not good enough.

77. Gordies Elbow says:

Wolfie:

This year Purcell got the push ahead of Yak.A player who was clearly not going to be with the organization past this year vs a 1st overall pick who put up better numbers than Stamkos in Jr and that you have under control for another 3 or 4 years….

The decisions the Oilers brass have made have been baffling.

Isn’t the asset that you’re planning on moving usually the one that a team would push?

78. Frank the dog says:

blainer:

From what I read, Yak was simply unpredictable. They could never anticipate where he was headed.
    I’d call it our of sync. Simply one of those guys that is so different he needs too long for his line mates to figure him out, let alone him figure them out. CMD had the smarts to, others didn’t. Chia’s right to play the waiting game as you said. He may have played here in Junior but his brain works differently from the rest of the team. That can give the opposition fits if he has a C like CMD – or Galchenyuk – or it can give his own team the fits, which I think happened with Hall & Nuge.

79. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Spot on. Btw did you catch Jon Oliver’s segment last night on Radovan Karadzic and his obsession with Putin T-shirts and the whereabouts of his missing Bengal tiger kitten ?

You can’t make Russia up, it’s arguably the most corrupt and racist country in the world. Nail may never live or play there again, something tells me that after this contract ends he could be playing in Western Europe.

I really feel for the kid, but he’s in desperate need of a better fit.

80. Water Fire says:

Wolfie,

Yak has never played nearly as closely to what is asked as the others did/do. Not that they are perfect but there is progress of sorts. Watch him,Yak doesn’t follow the plan and either can’t get it or won’t listen.

The fact he’s really foreign and odd ( which is an observation not a slight) doesn’t help his cause.

81. Hockey Buddha says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

I dunno. I’m not sure what to think. I like Yak, and I’m no Putin fan, great hockey player that Putin is and all, but maybe the problem isn’t that Yak is Tatar or Vladimir Putin. Yak obviously irritated the Russian coach, and it’s not the first time he’s irritated a coach. Was Eakins KGB? Maybe. How about the McLellan coaching group? Yak may just need to keep his yap closed with his coaches and play hockey. Did he put himself before the team, trying to play injured? That’s what the coach seems to have indicated.

Perhaps, culturally, Russians simply speak their minds more, and we’re simply blowing it out of proportion. The addition by subtraction comment might not even be a real shot at Yak’s ability as much as it is a shot at him playing injured. That’s probably a frustrating thing for a coach, a player not being upfront about injury.

Honestly, I’m tired of the distractions and underperforming associted with Yakupov. I like Yakupov, but he’s got to stay quiet and just perform well with the Oil next season and earn credibility. I simply don’t think he’s tradeable any longer this summer, and that’s not really on Chiarelli.

82. flyfish1168 says:

Here is an old but very good story.

Good citizen and individual, will be missed in this city if traded.

Stories like this makes it difficult not to cheer for him.

83. Richard S.S. says:

Most people, including NHL people, expect/need very low 1st Round Picks to be plug-and-play. Everyone drafted is different and will develop at their own rate, despite what the Drafting Team wants. How desperate that Team is will determine the treatment of the player; how effective/competent the Staff of that Team is will determine the final result. Some players develop despite everything that thrown at them, some even thrive. Most others require higher maintenance to develop/to thrive.

Edmonton has not be competent at developing players; they have to develop despite what the Oilers do. Edmonton has not competent at judging the development of players and too much talent gets continually traded away. Edmonton is incompetent at developing higher maintenance players, and don’t think they are. Yak is just the latest of many – that’s sad.

84. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Hockey Buddha,

Again, like I said, not absolving Yak of blame for his play and his interests. But the public smear campaign should be seen with some context. That’s all I am saying.

ie. if you argue his Canadian coaches except Krueger and Nelson couldn’t figure him out #becauseEnigmaticRussian well Russian coaches aren’t necessarily going to like him either. Khabibulin played for Belarus when he was young, but Russia bent the rules to get him on their team when he was the best “Russian” option. Yak isn’t playing too well and they don’t like his kind to begin with. The public comments putting him down aren’t surprising.

As for trade value, I agree. it’s nothing. The right play is to rebuild his value, not cut losses here.

85. maxwell_mischief says:

Yak has had the most ridiculous entrance to the NHL
    Essentially 5 coaches, 3 GMs in 4 years- one being a shortened NHL season
    That’s nuts!
    I don’t know if Yak gets moved, I think Chiarelli identifies that he has a player and a contract, and in his year end presser talked about how he will need to get value back.
    I look at the examples of Drouin and Hamonic, and I am hopeful.
    Mclellan has stated before too that it isn’t Yak’s attitude, that he works hard and tries hard.
    (I honestly think that’s his problem is that he is working and trying instead of just doing- which he has shown to be capable of)
    If the Oilers are quick to trade Eberle, and Pouliot… depending on the return… Yak has a very fine spot in the lineup and the Oilers would have to do quite a bit more work to add 3 NHL quality RW for next year.

I guess what I’m saying is
    I don’t think dealing Yak is the number one thing on the list- seeing as he probably won’t bring back a valuable enough asset to improve a point of weakness- so unless people are calling and asking, the guy who has vaguely requested a trade and is locked up for one more year on a reasonable contract isn’t the first move.
    So depending on how things shake out
    Eberle trade?
    Nuge trade?
    Pouliot trade?
    Bozak in?
    Brouwer in?
    Okposo?
    Lucic?
    Hall trade?
    what will happen with the 4th overall?

Yak may end up being more valuable as an asset to the Oilers, than being dumped for so low a cost.
    I do anticipate Yak being traded and me being not that upset because it’s probably for the best about it… but I don’t think it is such a given, and I eagerly anticipate the action that’ll go down this summer.
    And also making the very quick trip from Toronto to Buffalo to be at the draft.

86. rickithebear says:

Tyson barrie.
    So everyone thinks barries great offence is a playoff difference maker.

A dman who is asked to defend upper 3 rd line production competition with upper 1st line production teamates and is a career minus player.

Think about that. Elite first line cannot outscore oppositions third lines with him playing d thru his career.

That is fucking embarrasingly awful!

87. rickithebear says:

We lack even goals.
    So people want to trade our only 2 top 30 even goal scorers.

That is bat shit moronic crackhead crazy!
    Stupid on a historic level.

I know how to fix our team.

Trade our goal scoring difference makers for real shitty def d.

That is fucking embarrasing!

88. Ryan says:

Genjutsu: “Yakupov has thoroughly mediocre record as a professional hockey player.”

Leading the NHL in rookie scoring is pretty far from mediocre.

Well done sir.

Well done.

Look. I’m not DSF, so stop quoting Woodguy at me. 🙂

89. AsiaOil says:

Wow put down the NY Times & WaPo NYC – you are simply parroting a Washington-centric line verbatim.

First off – there is no “Putin’s Russia” any more than there is a “Trudeau’s Canada” or “Obama’s America”. This line is a dead give away that a person is not thinking for themselves and is simply parroting the propaganda that passes for Russian news in the US these days.

Do you know why they are upset about the Eurovision? The Russian song was the highest vote getter amongst Euro public voters but was placed third by the contest “experts”. The Ukrainian song was also blatantly political (which is against the Eurovision rules) but they allowed it anyway and the whole thing was another in a long series of propaganda tools created by EU/US elites to try build as many walls as possible between Europe and Russia. Thankfully most Europeans are not nearly as ignorant as their “leaders” appear to think they are – and the crowning joke is that they will have to hold next years Eurovision in Kiev. Wow let me book my hotel now.

Russian is not going through any “period of persecution” of ethnic minorities – that’s just plain false. Russia is the #2 immigrant population in the world after the US. The population of Crimea also voted 97.5% in favor of rejoining Russia in what everyone admits was a fair and open expression of citizen desires. A majority of Crimean Tatars also voted in favor of rejoining Russia. You should also know that a extremist minority of Crimean Tatars has joined forces with some of the worst Ukrainan extremist groups who are openly facist and regularly parade through the streets of Kiev and elsewhere bearing Nazi symbols and torches. This clearly does not “play well” in Russia given the existence of a Tatar Legion in Hitler’s Nazi army. Truth be told though – far more Crimean Tatar men served in the Red Army and took part in the partisan movement in Crimea during the war – and this is not forgotten.

There is a long and complex history that you are overlooking in trying to paint some simplistic picture of an all-powerful Putin – and this is the hallmark of US propaganda which is trying to drive wedges between people. Read a bit beside the dreck contained in US newspapers and a far different picture appears.

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: I am going to call a spade a spade here. Yak is a Tatar. Putin’s Russia is going through a period of persecution of non-ethnic Russians. Did you see them upset over the Eurovision winner from Ukraine, herself a Tatar?

You want to blame anyone for running their yap, blame Putin.

90. AsiaOil says:

As for Yak – I can’t wait until they trade this guy as the soap opera long since lost it’s story line. There is no “racism” involved. Yak got dumped when Ovechkin et al joined the team and they are not going to stiff KHL guys over 2nd tier players like Yak who choose to go abroad instead of playing at home. Pretty simple and it’s always been this way. Not sure why coach had to say he’s injured – probably trying to save face in stead of saying he’s cut and Yak probably should have just kept his mouth shut. But a bunch of Russian coaches are still in some sort of Soviet authoritarian time warp – and this guy sounds like a prime example of one from the Victor Tikhonov school of leadership. Tarasov probably spins in his grave regularly over the antics of his successors.

91. BONE207 says:

rickithebear:
    We lack even goals.
    So people want to trade our only 2 top 30 even goal scorers.

That is bat shit moronic crackhead crazy!
    Stupid on a historic level.

I know how to fix our team.

Trade our goal scoring difference makers for real shitty def d.

That is fucking embarrasing!

WTF…you are like the crazy uncle who shows up drunk on Wednesday mornings

92. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

AsiaOil,

Nope. Just nope on pretty much every front. I studied the history in college as my major. You are out to lunch on everything you are accusing me of. Never read the Washington Post in my life. New York Times has a cool travel section.

Not interested in debating with your world view. We both know we are different on that front.

93. Kepler62 says:

godot10:

I’d learn the difference between then and than before discussing Mark Fayne on the Oilers D. I doubt you even read the analytics article I mentioned that showed Sekera – Fayne as a pair are an above league average second pair – you just just jumped straight to your own vast knowledge of what other NHL teams would do, bravo.

94. Caramel Batman says:

AsiaOil,

You’ve said a lot of deranged and deluded things around here, but to defend Russia, one of the most corrupt cultures on earth, run by a murdering government that isn’t simply corrupt but is criminal, is a step too far.

I don’t know where you get your news but you need to put down the Chomsky and enter the world of human beings. The United States is not always wrong. Russia, on the other hand, actually is.

95. AsiaOil says:

Caramel Batman,

Your response is typical of a brain-washed self-serving Canadian – rude, ignorant and full of deluded morality. I am an American citizen and I know my adopted country’s history (good and bad) very well thank you very much. Do you know the tens of millions that have died in the last 50 years as a result of American exceptionalism and military action? Here’s a list – and none of these countries were of the least bit threatening to American security – none.

China 1945-46
    Iran 1998
    Sudan 1998
    Afghanistan 1998
    Yugoslavia – Serbia 1999
    Afghanistan 2001
    Libya 2011

Russian evils are fucking featherweight compared to that list of mayhem. They certainly have their sins to answer for in the Soviet days – but it pales in comparison to the damage committed by the US and NATO allies like Canada in the past 50 years. This is your history brother – real men own it instead of trying to paint other people with their own sins.

96. hunter1909 says:

Caramel Batman:
    AsiaOil,

I don’t know where you get your news but you need to put down the Chomsky and enter the world of human beings.The United States is not always wrong.Russia, on the other hand, actually is.

Russia? I grew up in the Cold War. I got fed all the propaganda, and believed it so much that it took me 5 years after Gorbachev to believe the Russians were’t still communists.

Today, I’m a huge fan of Russia.

97. Chris says:

Referendums conducted after armed soldiers have already seized control of a disputed territory are not “fair” or “impartial”. Asiaoil you should know better than to peddle such Pravda twaddle.

98. hunter1909 says:

Chris:

With respect, this part of the world is 1,000x more complicated politically than the Western MSM lets us believe.

Re having armed soldiers, soldiers are usually better off armed than not.

If you happen to have ancestry in this part of the world, and particularly if it’s not Russian you have my sympathy, however the history of your neck of the woods seems to have been one endless series of occupations, bloodbaths, what have you.

In 2016 I’m a fan of Russia. Previously, during the Cold War, I wouldn’t have cared if the whole place was swallowed up by the ocean – I’d been brainwashed.

The most telling thing about Donald Trump’s presidential candidacy is his willingness to see Putin as a man instead of some ideological monster. This fact, all by itself proves there is hope for the glorified microcosms on this spinning planet.

99. Caramel Batman says:

AsiaOil,

You have no idea who you are talking to or what you are talking about.

The past of the United States (of which I am quite aware) is irrelevant to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, it’s persecution of its own citizens, it’s vicious corruption, any of it.

Your comments are cut and paste talking points from their ministry of propaganda. I don’t know why you are acting as a shill, whether it is from ignorance, or from some other agenda. But it is embarrassing. I don’t mind political talk, but it should be intelligent and informed, not mindless repetition.

100. Caramel Batman says:

AsiaOil,

You also might want to differentiate between conflicts if you are going to assault people with impressive sounding lists like that in the future.

Note: not all wars are the same, they don’t have the reasons, and they can’t have the same moral evaluation. That you do so tells me something about your capacity for moral reasoning.