FREAK TURBULENCE

It is difficult to believe, but come this fall it will have been six summers since Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle emerged as twin towers of the future in Edmonton. The training camp roster was announced in mid-August—these days it is about one month later—and the sense we all got was that these young men were going to lead the team to the promised land.

Hall was assigned No. 84, I said the buzz around town was greater than anything we had seen since the olden days. Eberle was No. 78, and there was enough secondary talent to create real excitement:

• Taylor Hall, now at 381 games and averaging 28-43-71 per 82gp.
  • Jordan Eberle, now at 425 games and averaging 28-36-64 per 82gp.
  • Magnus Paajarvi, now at 276 games and averaging 10-14-24 per 82gp.
  • Jeff Petry, now at 365 games and averaging 6-16-22 per 82gp .
  • Chris VandeVelde, now at 197 games and averaging 5-9-14 per 82gp.
  • Martin Marincin, now at 150 games and averaging 1-9-10 per 82gp.
  • Brandon Davidson is now at 63 games and has 5-7-12 totals.

That is (by my count) two first-line players, a checking winger, a top 4D, two top 6D and a fourth-line center. How disappointed should Oilers fans be about the 2010 rookie camp roster? The bigger problem for Edmonton has been in development, reaping what was sown, and finding the 6s and 7s and 9s to place with the Jacks and Kings. If they had all of the defensemen above this day, the Oilers would be a better team.

Interesting seating arrangement, suspect the brass were madly impressed by the London Knights. How many Knights could be drafted in 2016? My list has six names:

• No. 5 L Matthew Tkachuk.
  • No. 8 LD Olli Juolevi.
  • No. 32 L Max Jones.
  • No. 35 G Tyler Parsons.
  • No. 46 LD Victor Mete.
  • No. 110 C Cliff Pu.

That is from one junior team. Two first rounders, three second rounders and a guy Peter Chiarelli believes could slide into the first round (based on last night’s conversation). I have 35 OHL prospects on my top 130 list (that is 27 percent). We went round and round on Tkachuk vs. Dubois last night, but the truth is you should be happy with either—and any of the three blue. This draft has a lot of nice players and damned if I know who the No. 4 man on the list is this season. I hope they take five guys out of the OHL this draft, that entire league is fire.

THE 2016 DRAFT

• Peter Chiarelli at Memorial Cup: “We’ve been paying particularly close attention higher up in the first round this year, I think it’s pretty deep. We’ve heard of dividing lines after three, after 12, I think it’s pretty deep. We got the 32nd pick I think we’re going to get a pretty good player at 32 also. I think there’s a line after [pick No.] 3, but after that I think it’s pretty deep still.” Source

I always find this stuff interesting. Why? It’s that blasted Gare Joyce, who has me hooked on how many top 10s each season contains. This year? 12!  After the big three, I will guess Dubois, Tkachuk, Sergachev, Keller, Juolevi, Brown, Chychrun, Fabbro, Jost. I will exclude Alex Nylander—I think he is inside the top 12 for all teams, but doubt Edmonton drafts him (or Keller). I will guess Edmonton’s list has the top three, then Dubois-Tkachuk-Juolevi, followed by (7-12) Brown, Chychrun, Brown, Jost, Sergachev, Fabbro. That is my guess.

Schremp has been a traveling man in recent seasons, got the NHL itch and headed across the pond in 2015-16. Not yet 30, he is probably done with the NHL dream, but can boast some good things (114 NHL games, per 82gp: 14-25-39). I hope he wows them in Tiger land this winter.

Many moons ago, I worked with a young woman named Heidi. She is one of the funniest people I have ever known (her screen saver was Jimmy Crack Corn dot dot dot). She loved The Tragically Hip and that meant great opportunity for me (I used to make her mad by calling them that generation’s Trooper) to needle her about the band and their lack of American success. I remember the day she told me about the book of poetry that Gord Downie had placed in his solo album (think it was the first one, could be wrong), that was great material. I am thinking about her today, and the many thousands of Downie fans who will be struck by the news and all of their air will be taken from their day. Cancer sucks, it just does.

The Tragically Hip are a unique band in Canadian history. They embraced all the things that make our country (running counter to most of what had come before, with a hat tip to Rick Neufeld), and wrote brilliant (and unapologetic, self conscious) words about this country wrapped around fabulous riffs and a driving beat. I remember people being upset that America never caught up to them, but for me that just added to their authenticity. They were never my generation, but delivered music that was unique, original and very good. You will be able to tell a lot about what Gord Downie means to his generation in the next 24 hours. It is a shitty day, folks.

No idea where he would fit, but this is a helluva player. That line was incredible for the Russians, wonder if they come in  a package deal?

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy show as we start a week that could see some activity (Euro free-agent signings, why hasn’t Ethan Bear signed). Scheduled to appear, 10 this morning on TSN1260:

• Scott Burnside, ESPN. A huge G6 for Pens-Lightning and the Sharks on the verge of their first Stanley appearance.
  • Kady Hobbins, Hockey’s Future. Kady has an article up at HF, handing out awards to various prospects. We will review and discuss.
  • Jonathan Willis, Cult of Hockey. Jon and I will throw around draft and trade ideas and discuss the No. 4 overall selection (if the Oilers use it).
  • Guy Flaming, Pipeline Show. The London Knights are on another level. Guy will describe the shock and awe.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

91 Responses to "FREAK TURBULENCE"

1. hunter1909 says:

MacT looks like he’s wondering why he’s sitting in the stands of a f*****g hockey game, when he could be GM’ing Connor McDavid at that new arena they’re building for Mr. Katz’s colossal egomania.

2. Hall Awaits says:

Hell of a year for musicians. Hats off to GD!

3. spoiler says:

2016… The year the musician was called.

We’re not halfway around the calendar yet and already the loss has been epic.

4. spoiler says:

In hockey news…

Has Nurse been traded yet?

Its coming, folks.

5. UKOil says:

As a Flyers fan, I’ve been used to the outlandish trades and free agent signings but this year has been a nice development. Gudas and Ghost were never expected to be a big part of this year, neither was their 3rd line or Neuvirth.

In Oil country we must remember it is a team game, if Subban or Karlsson is available that would be great but we need several useful players before we get to the promised land. As LT says: balance.

6. Rondo says:

Redline Report thinks 1- 20 is great, 21-45 is good and then a big drop off.

Hockey Prospects thinks 1-22 is excellent then a drop off.

And the temperature on this date 10 years from now will be 40 C.

7. smellyglove says:

Ugh, MacT in an influential position.

[Looks out to the horizon of this eternal desert we have been wandering for years… so thirsty… so very tired.]

8. Aitch says:

The Hip took over a large part of the soundtrack of my life while I was finishing high school and pretty well dominated the post-secondary years alongside the emergence of grunge. Can’t believe this morning that I’m only going to get to see them one more time. It’s like a family member announced the diagnosis. It hurts.

If you hadn’t already started the RE series with Blue Rodeo, I think we’d be demanding you use The Hip. Plus, they do have some beauty songs about or referencing hockey… Fifty Mission Cap, The Lonely End of the Rink, Fireworks…

9. hunter1909 says:

spoiler:
    In hockey news…

Has Nurse been traded yet?

Its coming, folks.

Look at the bright side. Oiler fans will get to see both Nurse and Yakupov start afresh on potentially well run teams.

10. dustrock says:

Jesus Christ it’s been a tough year for musicians, and as my brother said, where’s the fresh young talent to replace those who have been lost?

The arc isn’t exactly right, but I’d say The Hip are probably Canada’s version of R.E.M., maybe with a little Springsteen and Petty thrown in. Not for sound at all, but for their historical and political songs, their ability to criticize without sounding petty, and for their longevity.

Up to Here is absolutely loaded with catchy songs, they probably could have had 7 singles off that album. Check out “When the Weight Comes Down” for a deep cut.

Fully Completely is, to me, their apex point – still a bunch of hella catchy songs, but the lyrics are better, and their sound was more varied.

Plus they have the absolute honour of having one of the all-time best sports songs in history, let alone hockey: Fifty Mission Cap.

If you have the chance to see them on what will literally be their farewell tour for Gord, please do so. Let’s celebrate what this band has meant to Canada.

And, for all of us at Lowetide, from Fireworks: “You said you didn’t give a fuck about hockey
    And I never saw someone say that before
    You held my hand and we walked home the long way
    You were loosening my grip on Bobby Orr”

11. rickithebear says:

My wife is flying out of CGY to halifax cause here father had a massive stroke early Monday morning.
    Then I get a call to the doctors cause my 12 year old has abnormal blood work.

Listening to Canadiana Troubadours has been my anchor through tough times.
    Tom, Gordon, and Gord.

My mother collapsed of Brain Cancer and was given 6 weeks to live.
    She survived for 18 months with me spending the first month taking breaks from the hospital AT chapter reading all the religious texts and listening to Gord.
    2 more months of training my mom to be a a functional person again.

When i had to leave my mom on here death bed cause bereavement had to be reset 10 days and go back to work for 1. I continued to listen to Gord.

When I got home to spruce grove i listened to the message from my dad to come back to Salmon Arm cause she was gone. While Courage played in my head.

I always had strange moments of stopping at lights; walking local trails, were i would have small moments of mourning. but I never truly cried.

I drove the Paper distribution route with my 12 year old son this morning. A 180 KM trip that will burn out Vehicles but is covering the 375 K education for our 3 kids.

Delia is one of our stops and as we turned into the town access. I heard the news on Sportsbet 960.
    Gord with………

I sat in my truck
    worried about my wife……..
    Worried about my son ………
    Cried like a baby and truly mourned my mom.
    A cathartic moment.

Just a little awkward for my son!

Who is the latest troubadour to turn too.

Corb?

12. Diesel says:

The first real concert I remember going to was the Hip. Just my Dad and a 10 year old me (28 now). We walked around the concourse and I clutched his huge hand while I looked up at a strange sea of adults in leather.

As we stood at our seats listening to them he let me have a sip of beer and I remember feeling like I was given temporary access to the world of grown ups. It was awesome.

13. Marc says:

My first concert was the Hip’s ‘Another Roadside Attraction’ tour in Edmonton in ’93. A few weeks later I headed off to Hong Kong to study and I’ve mostly lived abroad since then.

More than anyone else, the Hip have been who I’ve turned to when I’m homesick. Their music embodies Canada and takes me home. Individual songs by other artists – Helpless by Neil Young, or Western Skies by Blue Rodeo for example – can do the same for me, but with the Hip that Canadian-ness is everywhere and in almost everything they wrote. They’ve been a comfort blanket for me when I’ve been far from home and for that I’ll always have a special place for them in my heart.

Gord and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

14. russ99 says:

A bad management team is a gift that keeps on giving.

I swear, if Lowe and MacTavish are at the draft again, I’m going to pop a blood vessel.

15. hunter1909 says:

russ99:
    A bad management team is a gift that keeps on giving.

Both are jockeying for good seating position near Katz on opening night. It’s a severe lack of character thing.

“Daryl? Daryl? Did you ever hear about that time when Semenko…”

16. frjohnk says:

rickithebear:
    Then I get a call to the doctors cause my 12 year old has abnormal blood work.

Listening to Canadiana Troubadours has been my anchor through tough times.
    Tom, Gordon, and Gord.

My mother collapsed of Brain Cancer and was given 6 weeks to live.
    2 more months of training my mom to be a a functional person again.

Gord with………

I sat in my truck
    worried about my wife……..
    Worried about my son ………
    Cried like a baby and truly mourned my mom.
    A cathartic moment.

Just a little awkward for my son!

Who is the latest troubadour to turn too.

Corb?

Hang in there man

Lost my mom when she was 41 to brain cancer. Was given 6 months, but wanted to see my sister graduate high school, she needed to survive 20 months, made 18.

She loved the Hip.

I’m a metal head, but have always had time for the hip.

Sad news today. But will always smile when I think of the Hip. And they aint done yet.

17. Pajamah says:

rickithebear,

Sorry to hear all that Ricki.

My best to your family. Hope for a positive resolution for both your son and father in law.

18. stephen sheps says:

It’s a strange feeling to process this news about Gord, yet another musical icon will be leaving us at some point soon. While I don’t listen to the Tragically Hip as much as I did as a kid, this band’s music and Gord Downie’s lyrics left a lasting impression on me, especially since I lived in his hometown for 5 years and have travelled to many of the little places in Ontario his words so elegantly describe.

From firsthand experience, I know the cancer centre in Kingston is world class. I will forever be grateful for the care I received in that hospital, waking up alive on my 31st birthday after my oncologists cut it all out of me. I’m certain that Gord along with his doctors fought as hard as they could.

In any event, when artists make the conscious decision to share their last days with their fans, it’s such an astonishing act of generosity that it quite frankly boggles the mind. I hope to see them again on this final tour when I get back to Toronto this summer.

19. dustrock says:

rickithebear,

all the best, ricki. our thoughts are with you.

20. John Chambers says:

russ99:
    A bad management team is a gift that keeps on giving.

Don’t underestimate the value of knowledge cultivated out of failure.

21. Marc says:

One more thing about the Hip. Unlike many other nationalities, Canadians abroad tend not to colonise a particular neighbourhood and surround themselves with other people from home. There are parts of London where you know you’ll find lots of Australians, or French, or Polish people, but nowhere you can point to as a particularly Canadian neighbourhood, even though there are thousands of us here.

I’ve been to a few Hip concerts here – they come every couple of years and usually play a fairly small venue. Every time it’s been the same, as soon as you come out of the tube station nearest the venue you see a stream of people wearing hockey jerseys – Leafs, Habs, Oilers, Canucks, Hockey Canada etc – all heading in the same direction.

The Canadian-ness of the Hip and their music seems to make people who are happily and unobtrusively submerged into the fabric of the city wear their Canadian-ness on the chests, so they turn to the closest thing we have to a national uniform.

It doesn’t happen with any other Canadian band here. Only the Hip.

22. stephen sheps says:

rickithebear,

all my thoughts and prayers to you and yours, Mr. Bear.

23. Ducey says:

russ99:
    A bad management team is a gift that keeps on giving.

MacT will be there.

Lowe has not been there for 2 years.

They should keep doing whatever they did last year. Despite trading so many picks, it looks like a good draft.

Even relatively unheralded John Marino seems to be progressing. He just won a USHL championship and was 13th in league scoring for Dmen (30 pts in 56 games). He is now up to 6’2″ and 190 lbs and just turned 19. And he is a RH D!

24. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Ducey,

Yeah, Marino is the worst of the late round D prospects right now, and I’m pretty happy with the pick. While I know it’s unlikely, there is an outside chance that all 4, or 3 out of 4, make the NHL at some point. Long time from now, lot’s of progressing still to do, but there’s a chance.

As for the goalie, who knows. Check back in three years and see what’s up.

25. rickithebear says:

I read my postings from monday.
    Just a little bitchy in my angst delivery!

Happy with the message.

Kassian 25yr 1.5M Top 10 shooting % fwd Since 12-13 lockout. PC
    Lander 25yr Tambo
    Pakarinen 24 yr MacT
    ——————————– the group below is still in Pre core 18-20 or Core 21-23
    Since 05-06 lockout: production age 18-22
    RNH 23yr 6M #19G; #16 EVG; #11 points Tambo
    PPG there with Benn; Seguin; Kucherov; Couture; Mackinnon; Krejci while going PvP.
    Yakupov 22yr 2.5M Tambo
    Draisatl 20yr 3.4m – #19 20yr .70 PPG FWD there with McKinnon, RNH, O’reilly, Getzlaf. MacT
    Mcdcvid 19yr 3.775M #18G; #16EVG; #11 P; #4 GPG; #2 APG; #3 PPG

You kind of have to have Elite veterans that require pushing out.
    Hall and Eberle are top 30 you do not get ride of.

26. LadiesloveSmid says:

I gotta see London bad here. I want Jones and Pu(50% for the name), just based on last night.

Tkachuk looks like a player, haven’t seen that dynamism yet though. PLD is my forward pick all day, if not get me Keller. Chychrun/Keller if they trade down

I said “Hi” to Gord Downie in CBGB’s on July 1, 2000. I had just seen The Hip, Jeff Healey, and Great Big Sea in Central Park that day, and Chris Brown and Kate Fenner (ex of Bourbon Tabernacle Choir) who were touring with The Hip that year, were playing that night at CBGB’s along with Sarah Harmer, who had just released her breakout album You Were Here.

I was/am a bigger Rheostatics fan than of The Hip.

28. HugThePost says:

at least in the photo, it looks like Chia is doing the talking and MacT, thankfully, has his mouth shut.

29. Caramel Batman says:

HugThePost:

Good Lord, the hate for MacT makes people stupid.

30. Seismic Source says:

Guys,

Google image “lowetide”. I did it by accident the other day. It is fucking perfect.

31. OilClog says:

10 years ago I lost my Mother to lung cancer and two weeks later lost my grandmother to Alzheimer’s, was the only family I had. Being a young man and suddenly not have the pillars you build for around you, well there’s several words that could be used.

I packed everything that would fit and my dog into my beat up tempo, plugged in my Hip, drove west. I haven’t been able to bring myself to listen to the hip since then, this site on the Al Gore is the only ties I have left with the home town.

It’s been 6 years now since I’ve stopped hopping the islands here and started to build a life again, maybe I’m ready to give a go listening to Gord again.

Thinking of you and family, rickithebear.

33. Seismic Source says:

ricki,

Words can’t convey. Stay strong.

34. Truth says:

F*ck cancer.

35. dustrock says:

LadiesloveSmid:

Can’t argue with any of this.

36. rickithebear says:

TOP 3 SWE D in each draft since 08 draft and any lower successes.
    2008:

#15 Carlsson #3 EuroD
    #16 Cederholm #4 Euro D
    #32 Danielson #6 Euro D
    #33 Berglund #7 Euro D

37. Seismic Source says:

rickithebear,

So what’s the trend? If a Swede is a D, does that maybe hold value?

38. prairieschooner says:

Mac T not a great judge of coaches.
    or
    Dmen

39. Wolfie says:

The Gord Downie news is heart wrenching. My first concert was also Another Roadside Attraction in ’93 in Winnipeg.

The Hip is the soundtrack of my youth.

LT if you haven’t used The Hip for your RE series yet, my request is for them to be the feature band for the upcoming season.

A tip of my Fifty Mission Cap to Mr Downie.

40. Bruce McCurdy says:

Best wishes to you & family, Ricki.

Ducey: MacT will be there.

Lowe has not been there for 2 years.

Even relatively unheralded John Marino seems to be progressing. He just won a USHL championship and was 13th in league scoring for Dmen (30 pts in 56 games). He is now up to 6’2″ and 190 lbs and just turned 19.And he is a RH D!

Lowe was at the table last year.

42. dustrock says:

Lowe is still part of the organization. Funny to me people think he wouldn’t be at the table.

43. 99266in87 says:

Oh my God Rickithebear. THAT was poignant. Connecting sorrow and letting go to something powerful. I went through some of what you did as well, but, your words above are absolutely strong. Take care

44. G Money says:

rickithebear,

That’s rough, Ricki. Hope all goes well for your family.

45. G Money says:

I’m convinced that Gord Downie is likely one of the Hockey Gords, and if so, probably the only benevolent one.

46. hunter1909 says:

Caramel Batman: Good Lord, the hate for MacT makes people stupid.

In fairness, you can’t blame the fans for this one.

47. G Money says:

This snippet from an NHL JSON data feed amuses me greatly (yes, it’s 100% real, though obviously I’ve left out the context):

“players” : [ {
    “id” : 8474189,
    “fullName” : “Lars Eller”,
    “link” : “/api/v1/people/8474189”
    },
    “playerType” : “Loser”

48. LadiesloveSmid says:

On another note Ricki, your boy Kevan Miller just signed a 4 year deal in BOS.

49. Магия 10 says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    On another note Ricki, your boy Kevan Miller just signed a 4 year deal in BOS.

First thought was 4 years is a lot for a retired player, however popular in that market.

Kid must get the full Ganger treatment there with those misplaced vowels.

50. Ducey says:

Woodguy: Lowe was at the table last year.

Man, he sure screwed up that McDavid pick.

51. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    On another note Ricki, your boy Kevan Miller just signed a 4 year deal in BOS.

I thought he liked Colin Miller…. not sure though.

52. vinotintazo says:

G Money: “playerType” : “Loser”

lmao

53. hunter1909 says:

Ducey: I see upon a check of the interwebs that he in fact was there for day 1 – although he didn’t make the stage. Perhaps I recall he was not there for day 2.

Man, he sure screwed up that McDavid pick.

Lowe is a con man, who’s lucked out by having a groupie buy the company he works for.

Lowe used to be fairly cool, but that was before 2006. Ever since then he’s degenerated like an old bitter fool.

In light of this, an entire decade out of the playoffs, should fans have to put up with his incompetence not with scorn, but with a shit eating grin?

54. hunter1909 says:

Lowe reminds me of Hilary Clinton these days. Both need to appear before carefully selected interviewers etc.

Personally – I’d give Lowe his own 24/7 reality tv show.

55. Doug McLachlan says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

Colin Miller, now with Boston but previously in the LA system was the Kings’ top prospect in Manchester before coming to the Bruins in the Lucic trade. He’s an RFA this year, 23 years old and a RHD.

Suspect that Boston knows what they have but if not, would be very interesting player to pick up.

Players who are not yet breaking out but who will sign, as I suspect Collin Miller will, for $950K.

Why don’t teams, not just the Oilers, try and up the game just a touch and make bids on those players for the bottom compensation rung – the one where no picks are required to be given if matched. This past year the top of that category is $1.2M or so.

Yes the other team might well match but those extra $300K can really force your hand on other players.

56. hunter1909 says:

Doug McLachlan: We talk a lot about RFA Offer Sheets but one think I don’t see much of (read any) are the low end RFA offer sheets.

That got me thinking. Suppose the Oilers let a team offer one of their top players a 4x 1st round pick contract, then let the player walk and in one fell swoop gain 2 1st round picks for the next 4 years?

Add another offer sheet and Oilers are picking 3x first rounders for 4 years, lol.

Colin Miller is the player I have discussed. My Bruins signed another slow defensive defender.

58. LadiesloveSmid says:

Kevan Miller is the one ricki loved, had a good year by HDSCA and assist rates.

Colin Miller is interesting. Scored just over 1 ES P/60

59. dustrock says:

Ah, losing Boychuk and Hamilton, Chara losing a step, Seidenberg falls off a cliff, they re-sign McQuaid, and now Kevan Miller.

Never change, Boston.

60. dustrock says:

Blue Bullet Brad ‏@BlueBullet1981 · 6m6 minutes ago

With all else being equal when drafting forwards:

Top 4: Go European
    5-33: USA USA
    34-90: CHL

61. Магия 10 says:

LadiesloveSmid: Kevan Miller is the one ricki loved, had a good year by HDSCA and assist rates.
    Colin Miller is interesting. Scored just over 1 ES P/60

Kevin Millar does baseball broadcasts now.

62. stephen sheps says:

on the subject of your Bruins, you should have a look at this Bob McKenzie piece about Gord Downie, particularly about his connection to and endearing love of the Bruins. Harry Sinden is his godfather. Great stories I’m sure you’ll appreciate.

One choice quote:
    “The Bruins have become so much more to me than some boyhood fascination,” Downie said. “That’s why I talk to my brother in Boston every day for more than 30 years, and I imagine we always will. Back in the day, we supported every move Harry made. It wasn’t just bias; we honestly believed in what he was doing…He had this sort of blue-collar budget, trying to compete with white-collar teams. He made competitive teams in his own image, that shared his work ethic, and he managed to walk that tightrope with ownership. Everyone has their stories about him, their thoughts on him, but every move he made, even trading Espo [Phil Esposito] was, in our minds, spot on. We really admire Harry in every way. He was a mentor. He taught us more than he will ever know. And I will always be grateful to him.”

63. rickithebear says:

PC: chasing
    Reinhardt
    Gryba
    Korpikoxki
    Letestu.

Boston’s Gm grabs 2 of the top 10 Primary even point forwards in the Draft last year.
    Senyshyn
    Gabrielle

That means at even with no PP bump and only EVG goals and primary assists so less chance of having numbers driven like Tkachuk.

Then I hear PC has interest in Said player driven by Marner and Dvorak.

Then boston’s Gm signs the most complete UFA D for 4 years at 10M

Our GM is Utter shit and Boston kept the BetterGM.

I have no Doubt Pasternak was not PC’s.

What a shitty day!

F………………….

64. McSorley33 says:

Mac T beside PC…..other teams just chuckle.

Still a few Mac T GM defenders in here….so sad.

65. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

rickithebear,

So, wait, you were promoting Kevan Miller? Not Colin Miller?

Because the Kevan Miller signing seems to be near universally panned online.

66. Fog of Warts says:

frjohnk: Hang in there man
    Lost my mom when she was 41 to brain cancer.Was given 6 months, but wanted to see my sister graduate high school, she needed to survive 20 months, made 18.

Lost my mother at age 50 from pancreatic, undiagnosed until the final stage. The weekend of her exploratory (the exact sequence is a bit foggy now) I sat beside her in church keeping her upright during my brother’s wedding. Briefest exploratory ever. The surgeon took his first look went “oh, no!” and sewed her right back up.

Ever seen a brown pint jar of morphine? It’s not something you tell anyone you’ve got in the house. Before this, miraculously, she briefly pulled together enough to go on a short cruise with my father. I was out east at the time. When she took her next dip, I flew home at the “next available flight” price—right in the middle of a huge project where I was the central player—and then it was “maybe another 24 hours” for 30 straight days.

While I was trying to do the right thing, my big project went off the rails (things were already tense), the company shortly thereafter ceased to exist in its original form, and four years of my professional life went by the board with not a lot to show for it. I was pretty much tapped out financially in start-up mode, and really didn’t have the resources in hand to absorb multiple “next available flight” hits to my pocket book. I think my Dad thought too many of my business partners were ethically eccentric, so he didn’t put a high value on me returning to the professional fray, but he did place a high value on my attending the funeral.

Up to a point, I agreed. But 30 days—one painful day after another—out of a do-or-die startup company death march as the senior architect? He told me I would regret missing my mother’s funeral for the rest of my life.

Sorry, Dad, I know you raised me with the best intent to have me become spiritually sentimental like you and mom, but it just never took. As I saw it, if you haven’t made your peace with your beloved before the pint jar of morphine arrives on the scene, you’re not fully grasping the situation. I don’t even think that arrangement is possible any more, and I doubt the pharmacist would have tolerated that arrangement even then for any but his most trusted customers (it’s quite possible the pharmacist attended the church where my father would spell the regular pastor during his summer holidays—having been a minister in a rural community for many years, my father always had an NSA-grade zip-it capacity; even from a young age I could sense “shields up” mode from fifty paces, but I never intuited the slightest leak).

Perhaps the mind distorts. I might have been only eight ounces. Not so big we couldn’t conceal it in the back of the pantry behind a large can of pineapple.

———

I was never as close to my mom as I would have liked to be, because she was the hard-liner in the family on the church thing, and this apple (me) didn’t fall far from the tree: step by step, starting at age nine, my stubbornness in the other direction escalated.

What I’ve only fully realized over the last few years is that even without taking all those things from my childhood on board in the same way that my parents did, they are still my stories, too. Once upon a time, I knew who and what Jesus was with the eternal certainly of an eight-year-old.

My favourite Jesus story was “turn the other cheek”. Always. My least favourite stories were the wrathful God stories. Even from a young age, my internal commentary was “good grief, super deity, grow up”.

In the minds of many people, so far as I can figure, wrath equates to love (but try not to get arrested), and love equates to adequate explanation. What people are worried about is that the universe is a cold place. God’s actual character doesn’t matter so much—we can overlook his vengeful immaturity—so long as he brings love into the equation in the origin story, mission accomplished.

What’s interesting to me now is that Jesus’ “turn the other cheek” parable receives almost no play on Fox News and is, in fact, at least as closely aligned with the Greek tradition of Stoicism as it is with Christianity (certainly far better aligned with Stoicism than Christianity as many of its most vocal adherents choose to construe it). Fox News does not offend the adult atheist I’ve since become; Fox News offends my inner eight-year-old, the one who knew who Jesus was, and desperately wanted to please my mother.

My lemon tree and I listened to the following episode yesterday:

Mary Hynes on Tapestry: How to be a Stoic in Five Easy Lessons

I tracked that down after hearing Galileo Moments in the truck on CBC radio.

Giberson is a hard-core Christian with an evangelical upbringing and a PhD in physics, which he went into with the express intent of using his physics credentials as a platform to tell the world that science was full of shit. Only it didn’t work out that way. Contrary to his upbringing, he learned that scientists are, by and large, an astoundingly ethical group.

Now he’s fighting the good fight from within his own group to prevent the harshest forms of evangelism from sliding into full blown cult-hood.

It’s the only form of opposition in this world that’s worth a hill of beans. In my ideal world, the fatwa against Rushdie would have been shouted down by devout—and brave—Muslims from within, instead of leaving the job to abrasive outsiders such as Christopher Hitchens, as if no-one could have guessed that Plan B—opposition from without—wouldn’t go well.

Internal opposition, as valuable as it is, is a precarious form of opposition, easily ruined by people on the outside pointing to the insider and yelling “look, even your own have seen the light”.

Nice work there, assholes, extinguishing the only people who could have moved the issue back to the center again. But people don’t want co-existence. They mainly want to chortle in triumph.

Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #13: Polarization is good for business.

———

Kind of makes me want to rework that scene from Austin Powers.

Guard: One pair of polarized glasses.

Austin: There they are!

Guard: One Polaroid camera.

Guard: Seventeen packs of Polaroid film.

Austin: You know, polarization is not my bag, baby.

Guard: One litre vial of dehydrated cat urine, with twenty Polaroid pictures of cats drinking out of giant cat bowls, all signed by Austin Powers.

Austin: Seriously, polarization is not my bag, baby.

Guard: One book titled A Cat Lover’s Guide to Birefringent Monosodium Urate and Its Everyday Uses by Austin Powers.

Austin: Okay, okay, so I’m a bit of an ass.

———-

Sad about my Mom. Perhaps we might have found more common ground in the years we lost. It’s hard though, once belief systems become so non-negotiable.

McSorley33:
    Mac T beside PC…..other teams just chuckle.

Still a fewMac T GM defenders in here….so sad.

68. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: Meh. People are entitled to their opinions. MacT was not a good GM, that is a fact. People should be, and are welcome to here, express their opinions about things he did well or chances he took that made sense.

In 2006, playoff coach MacT did great vs the Sharks.

hunter1909: In 2006, playoff coach MacT did great vs the Sharks.

He was an excellent coach, but never with the PP. He was also very tough on first-round picks, perhaps the two are connected.

70. Water Fire says:

rickithebear:
    Then I get a call to the doctors cause my 12 year old has abnormal blood work.

Listening to Canadiana Troubadours has been my anchor through tough times.
    Tom, Gordon, and Gord.

My mother collapsed of Brain Cancer and was given 6 weeks to live.
    2 more months of training my mom to be a a functional person again.

Gord with………

I sat in my truck
    worried about my wife……..
    Worried about my son ………
    Cried like a baby and truly mourned my mom.
    A cathartic moment.

Just a little awkward for my son!

Who is the latest troubadour to turn too.

Corb?

Prayers are with you Ricki

71. Water Fire says:

spoiler: Water

Que?

72. Undisclosed_Personal_Reasons says:

Fog of Warts,

Great insight. Thank you (once again).

73. Wolfpack says:

In my opinion Up to Here is the greatest Canadian album of all time. I moved to BC from Edmonton in 1993 and for seven years I made the drive back and forth between places like Kamloops and Nelson and Trail and Edmonton – and I probably played that CD 1,000 times on those lonely drives.

And Road Apples was a close second. When I look back, I listened to a ton of Canadian music at that time – the Hip, Sass Jordan (Racine), Barney Bentall… I am not sure I could name one Canadian band now… Hedley?

74. itsa tikkanun says:

Marc,

So true. The only times I’ve been able to celebrate being Canadian amongst other Canadians in London have been 3 x Hip Concerts, to a lesser extent a few Our Lady Peace concerts and, of course, watching the last two Olympic Gold Medals at the Maple Leaf on Maiden Lane.

The Hip were the soundtrack to Junior High, High School and University for me. I must have seen them live 20 or 25 times (what a live band) and for the last 20 years in London they are one few things that link me back to home. Funnily I was 38 years old yesterday (fortunately I HAVE kissed a few girls).

Such sad news and wow is there going to be a lot of love shown at those summer concerts. I hope from this point on Gord can have a lot of fun and happiness amongst everything else. And grace, too…

75. frjohnk says:

Fog of Warts: Lost my mother at age 50 from pancreatic, undiagnosed until the final stage.The weekend of her exploratory (the exact sequence is a bit foggy now) I sat beside her in church keeping her upright during my brother’s wedding.Briefest exploratory ever.The surgeon took his first look went “oh, no!” and sewed her right back up.

Ever seen a brown pint jar of morphine?It’s not something you tell anyone you’ve got in the house.Before this, miraculously, she briefly pulled together enough to go on a short cruise with my father.I was out east at the time.When she took her next dip, I flew home at the “next available flight” price—right in the middle of a huge project where I was the central player—and then it was “maybe another 24 hours” for 30 straight days.

While I was trying to do the right thing, my big project went off the rails (things were already tense), the company shortly thereafter ceased to exist in its original form, and four years of my professional life went by the board with not a lot to show for it.I was pretty much tapped out financially in start-up mode, and really didn’t have the resources in hand to absorb multiple “next available flight” hits to my pocket book.I think my Dad thought too many of my business partners were ethically eccentric, so he didn’t put a high value on me returning to the professional fray, but he did place a high value on my attending the funeral.

Up to a point, I agreed.But 30 days—one painful day after another—out of a do-or-die startup company death march as the senior architect?He told me I would regret missing my mother’s funeral for the rest of my life.

Sorry, Dad, I know you raised me with the best intent to have me become spiritually sentimental like you and mom, but it just never took.As I saw it, if you haven’t made your peace with your beloved before the pint jar of morphine arrives on the scene, you’re not fully grasping the situation.I don’t even think that arrangement is possible any more, and I doubt the pharmacist would have tolerated that arrangement even then for any but his most trusted customers (it’s quite possible the pharmacist attended the church where my father would spell the regular pastor during his summer holidays—having been a minister in a rural community for many years, my father always had an NSA-grade zip-it capacity; even from a young age I could sense “shields up” mode from fifty paces, but I never intuited the slightest leak).

Perhaps the mind distorts.I might have been only eight ounces.Not so big we couldn’t conceal it in the back of the pantry behind a large can of pineapple.

———

My favourite Jesus story was “turn the other cheek”.Always.My least favourite stories were the wrathful God stories.Even from a young age, my internal commentary was “good grief, super deity, grow up”.

In the minds of many people, so far as I can figure, wrath equates to love (but try not to get arrested), and love equates to adequate explanation.What people are worried about is that the universe is a cold place.God’s actual character doesn’t matter so much—we can overlook his vengeful immaturity—so long as he brings love into the equation in the origin story, mission accomplished.

What’s interesting to me now is that Jesus’ “turn the other cheek” parable receives almost no play on Fox News and is, in fact, at least as closely aligned with the Greek tradition of Stoicism as it is with Christianity (certainly far better aligned with Stoicism than Christianity as many of its most vocal adherents choose to construe it).Fox News does not offend the adult atheist I’ve since become; Fox News offends my inner eight-year-old, the one who knew who Jesus was, and desperately wanted to please my mother.

My lemon tree and I listened to the following episode yesterday:

Mary Hynes on Tapestry: How to be a Stoic in Five Easy Lessons

I tracked that down after hearing Galileo Moments in the truck on CBC radio.

Giberson is a hard-core Christian with an evangelical upbringing and a PhD in physics, which he went into with the express intent of using his physics credentials as a platform to tell the world that science was full of shit.Only it didn’t work out that way.Contrary to his upbringing, he learned that scientists are, by and large, an astoundingly ethical group.

It’s the only form of opposition in this world that’s worth a hill of beans.In my ideal world, the fatwa against Rushdie would have been shouted down by devout—and brave—Muslims from within, instead of leaving the job to abrasive outsiders such as Christopher Hitchens, as if no-one could have guessed that Plan B—opposition from without—wouldn’t go well.

Nice work there, assholes, extinguishing the only people who could have moved the issue back to the center again.But people don’t want co-existence.They mainly want to chortle in triumph.

Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #13: Polarization is good for business.

———

Kind of makes me want to rework that scene from Austin Powers.

Guard: One pair of polarized glasses.

Austin: There they are!

Guard: One Polaroid camera.

Guard: Seventeen packs of Polaroid film.

Austin: You know, polarization is not my bag, baby.

Austin: Seriously, polarization is not my bag, baby.

Austin: Okay, okay, so I’m a bit of an ass.

———-

Sad about my Mom.Perhaps we might have found more common ground in the years we lost.It’s hard though, once belief systems become so non-negotiable.

Love your posts.

This was the saddest one.

76. fifthcartel says:

Oh my. That Kevan Millar contract is so strange. Why pay him 2.5m when you already have McQuaid with 3 years left at 2.75m and Seidenberg’s 2 years at 4m?

Maybe Chiarelli was the sane one?

77. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Fog of Warts,

I am very sorry to read this. At the same time, I was wondering if you’ve even considered putting out an anthology of your musings here from LT and elsewhere if you do express yourself on other platforms. I would buy a copy, as I am sure others would. You wouldn’t have to do anything beyond go back and search for your already posted pieces. That’s a good start right there.

78. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

rickithebear,

Ricki, thinking of you and your family. Hang in there and when things get tough, look up at Ursa Major in the sky tonight. I hope you find comfort there.

79. hunter1909 says:

NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker": I was wondering if you’ve even considered putting out an anthology of your musings here from LT and elsewhere if you do express yourself on other platforms. I would buy a copy, as I am sure others would. You wouldn’t have to do anything beyond go back and search for your already posted pieces. That’s a good start right there.

I’ve been begging “Steve Smith” to write something similar for years.

Both of these Lowetide commentators fly high in the mentally proficient stratosphere.

80. PatrickNorm says:

Just got back from World’s in St.Petersburg. It’s clear Canada , Finland and the States were heads above this group.
    Russia could have and should have done better. They chose not to dress Radulov out of spite. The Russian team is run by the owner of SKA. Of course Shipachyov did well. He took over the captaincy when Kovalchuk bailed on the team in this year’s KHL playoffs.
    Radulov is a beast and was Russia’s best player last year in the world’s. They’re mad at Rads because he’s coming to the NHL. Pretty hard to scout a guy sitting in the stands.
    I saw Matthews and Laine in the flesh. Matthews is NHL ready, Laine will be. Matthews had not much help, Laine was showcased with NHL players.
    The true MVP of the World’s was Connor McDavid. Forget the stats, his skating ,puck protection,fitness, section making was top notch. I’m worried about Taylor Hall. He’s very one dimensional. He should be traded to a better team.
    Edmonton needs a couple of elite defenceman. And a true number one goalie. Other than that, I feel bad for McDavid. Great player on a crappy team.

81. commonfan14 says:

Wolfpack: In my opinion Up to Here is the greatest Canadian album of all time.

Hard to make an objective argument against “Jagged Little Pill.”

82. Ducey says:

fifthcartel:

Someone was saying yesterday that the Oilers and BOS were working on a deal for a vet Dman from BOS.

If that’s right (and that’s a big “if”) It could be Chara (although he has a full NMC) or Seidenberg (a LH and a NTC). Maybe its McQuaid and BOS wanted to get Miller lined up first? McQuaid is a big tough RH. The type that Chia seems to like.

Just pure speculation, but I don’t know why they just wouldn’t sign Gryba. Not sure there is much difference between McQuaid and Gryba.

A month or so ago, Neely and Sweeney through their media flackies did a hit piece on Chiarelli for signing bottom of the roster players to too much money and too much term.

And yet they give Miller, 4 years. The dollar amount is fine. The term is NUTS.

Chiarelli will be nuts if he gives Gryba anything more than two years.

84. Oilspill says:

UKOil:
    Subscribe to our RSS FeedFollow us on Twitter

HomeContact

Karlsson will be near 12 mil in his next contract. Best fit is Tampa where taxes are WAY lower and they are competitive. He will be US bound.

Best Canadian —> IMHO

Album: Music from the Big Pink
    (although I won’t turn my nose at Harvest…it’s close).

Song: Four Strong Winds.

86. Gret99zky says:

Ducey: MacT will be there.

Lowe has not been there for 2 years.

And yet here is a picture of Kevin Lowe at the 2015 NHL Draft in Florida.

Same as it ever was.

Edit: reported sighting posted above.

If MacT and Lowe are going to be part of the future Katz had better hang a (what will be) 10+ straight years out of the playoffs banner in the new barn with their names on it. So they get the credit they deserve.

87. Tarkus says:

My first concert ever was the Hip in S’toon on the night of my 18th birthday. It was the Fully Completely tour, with Sons of Freedom as the opening act at what was Centennial Auditorium (now TCU Place).

Circumstances willing, I will see them one more time. Maybe more, if a miracle of miracles happens.

Anywho, my favorite Hip song comes from the early part of the milennium. While not a hockey song per se, It’s a song Gord Downie penned as a tribute to Dan Snyder after his death. And it kicks serious gluteus. I give you “Heaven is a Better Place Today”:

88. Professor Q says:

I’ll be eating my chicken club sandwich slow tonight in honour of Gord, that’s for sure.

89. Professor Q says:

Yikes…nasty triple hit on Marner.