IS THE GAME AFOOT?

You could barely turn your transistor radio down the dial today without hearing about the coming trade boom. Of course, we do not gather our info via the transistor anymore, it comes via the car radio, internet radio, twitter and other. A few quick hits, I reserve the right to go into more detail tomorrow.

This is excellent news, and in fact that ransom may be paid in 2018—not next season. As I wrote at ON on May 21, Renaud Lavoie reported on an NHLPA grievance that pushed (and won) the right to move those payment picks back to 2018. That effectively means Edmonton can choose in this year’s second round, offer sheet the hell out of the NHL, and still not have to pay until 2018. It sounds like a Brick commercial, but is really good news for Peter Chiarelli should he decide to get very bold. My thanks to PunjabiOil for pointing out the Lavoie story.

BOB MCKENZIE

• TSN690 Montreal: The Edmonton Oilers feel the need to make some significant change. I think the Colorado Avalanche are very interested in going out and finding a defenseman. Anaheim is a team with a huge number of question marks in terms of personnel decisions that need to be made. Are they going to trade a goaltender. Is it going to be Andersen. Is it going to be Gibson. Are they going to be able to sign both Lindholm and Vatanen on the blueline, or are they going to trade one of those guys. Source

I think that is fair, Oilers are clearly not going to slide through summer without change. I know many are worried about the expansion draft, but remember some of the players we believe are going to be protected are going to be dealt. If the Oilers trade down from No. 4, they are unlikely to go too deep, because the quality drops off after about No. 12—and the expansion draft changes everything.

If there is an expansion draft, I think someone from the $6 million group is going. The last chance Texaco now is the value of Matt Tkachuk—mentioned in Elliotte Friedman’s 30 Thoughts—which may increase enough to get something done. I will explore this notion further tomorrow.

ARBITRATION OPPORTUNITIES

I think we could see the Nuge, Mark Fayne and Nail Yakupov dealt in the next month or so, and one area we haven’t spent a lot of time (in terms of possible value) is the arbitration list. Cap Friendly has a dandy guide here, and I will back track on this in the coming days.

No surprise here, Bouchard (as has been the case with a few draft picks since 2010) did not perform well enough to earn a pro contract. We wish him well.

75 Responses to "IS THE GAME AFOOT?"

1. Barcs says:

If Puljujarvi is still there at #4, would you still look to trade down? (Note: I’m 90% sure neither of the Finns will be there at 4, simply curious).

I only ask because I am legitimately unsure which would be a better move for the Oilers.

Puljujarvi is a near perfect fit on RW, but that takes away one of our biggest chips to improve the D, imho.

Barcs:

3. Westchester Oil says:

Given Friedman’s comments about Tkachuk, I’m hoping that the Oilers will either:
    2) Grab Jesse P if the Blue Jackets take Tkachuk, or
    3) Draft PLD

4. Mr DeBakey says:

Did he perform well enough to be drafted in the first place?
    I understand he was a last round pick, but really.

5. Mr DeBakey says:

Westchester Oil: 1) Trade down a few spots and take one of Chychrun, Julolevi or Sergachev (and if you know which one of those three will end up being the best player, you’re a lot smarter than me)

I’m not sure why the Oilers would do this.
    I don’t really see what’s in it for the Oilers.

6. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Barcs:

Then in a dream world you take Puljujarvi, trade Yak + for Severson, trade Eberle+(or Eberle salary retained) for RHD, sign Eriksson to replace Eberle, trade 32nd+ for Sobotka, try to sign Demers., buy out Korpikoski.

Hall-Nuge-Eriksson
    Pouliot-McDavid-Draisaitl
    Maroon-Sobotka-Puljujarvi
    Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian
    Lander/extra

Klefbom-Demers
    Sekera-Vatanen/Barrie/etc. (Eberle with salary retained trade–overpay? maybe)
    Davidson-Severson
    Reinhart/Nurse

Protected list next summer:
    Draisaitl, Nuge, Hall, Sekera, Klefbom, Severson, Barrie/Vatanen, Davidson

Exempt: McDavid, Pulju, Nurse

I am assuming the Oilers overpay Demers enough that he relents on a NMC (ie. he doesn’t get one because we pay an extra year or $1m or some combination of money or term). Similarly, you expose Eriksson. You may even hope one of Eriksson and Demers gets claimed at this point, because you need to shed salary to re-sign McDavid and Draisaitl.

BUT THIS IS PIE IN THE SKY STUFF. Not realistic.

7. Professor Q says:

By the way, I’m not sure if you want to go into detail or have this as a discussion topic, but does anyone know precisely why Katz sued the construction companies? What’s the purpose of doing so, for such a meaningless amount in the long run?

8. Raider Jesse says:

Expansion is signed, sealed, and just waiting to be delivered by all accounts.

I don’t see how they can trade the 4th pick without a hell of an offer. Tkachuk/Dubois/Puljujarvi (Dare to dream) being a 3rd exempt building block beside Nurse and McDavid just makes sense and is an advantage the team should use to its best ability.

The question now is how to improve the roster next year while keeping it top heavy enough for the protect 8 plan if we cannot work out a trade with Las Vegas to select a less player from us (Cough Reinhart)

We can all agree and hope they team is likely to add 2 defenders. With MINIMUM of one being a core longer term impact player. If we add one core player they can slide into the 8th protected player slot outlined below. Ideally it’s two, but that leads to the risk of Davidson being exposed. I fully believe we should go for the biggest impact player we can for the #1 RD slot. That means it’s got to be Barrie, Faulk, Subban, or Jones type.

Now how do we get a player like that without giving up the 4th, and without tearing the roster apart?

Paging Speeds Paging Speeds.

Offer Sheet Seth Jones.

Hall, Nuge, Drai, Eberle
    Klefbom Davidson Sekera Jones
    Talbot
    ———————————————-
    McDavid, 4th overall pick , Nurse
    ———————————————

That is one hell of a protected list.

You can swap any player for another player, if Chia wants more of a Lucic type instead of an Eberle type then he has work to do but I maintain the best thing is to make sure we have 4 effective top 4 defenseman, protect them, and use the McDavid/Nurse/Tkachuk exemption to essentially protect our entire top 6 and top 4 plus Nurse.

Many know I am not as bullish on Nurse as others, but his exemption gives him added value. I wouldn’t honestly move him unless it’s part of making sure that #1 RD is extremely good or if his movement allows a 4th defender to be protected that is significantly worth more than both Davidson and Nurse combined because a cheap young guy like Davidson is exactly who an expansion team should be looking at.

I keep coming back to thinking the thing to do is get a significant stop gap player as the 2nd RD who isn’t attractive to an expansion team. I think Darcy is onto something with James Wisniewski. He’s an expiring guy whom is a buy low type acquisition.

9. Raider Jesse says:

Lowetide: I would take Puljujarvi because he is a big winger with speed and RH. The only concern I have about him is scoring but would take the chance.

I wouldn’t trade down if JP was there. No way. 😉

Mr DeBakey:

Did he perform well enough to be drafted in the first place?
    I understand he was a last round pick, but really.

He played well in that 20 minutes at the Memorial Cup!!

Raider Jesse: I wouldn’t trade down if JP was there.No way. 😉

I agree. He is close to a perfect pick for this group.

12. Raider Jesse says:

Couldn’t fit better. Does so many things the team needs. A form of PP playing making from the left side, incredible work at both zone exits and entries. Imagine an Oilers forward who helps the team exit with control. It’s one of his biggest impact areas. He’s defensively sound, and while not having the shot of Laine, he’s still a + offensive player. Skates for miles. You could mark him and McDavid down in Sharpie on the line up card for a decade.

13. Cameron says:

Lowetide: I agree. He is close to a perfect pick for this group.

Interestingly, he is also the preferred target of the Flames, as Calgary lacks RW skill in a big way. Lots of speculation around FlamesNation that Calgary would pkg a C (Backlund), and stuff with #6 to move up to #3.

If RNH is expendable, I could see Edm flipping him for #3.

14. PunjabiOil says:

Had a chuckle at the above line.

Still think PLD is the better prospect and likely helps the team more with his versatility to play both C and W. The international community also lauds him for his defensive game and using his size well.

Seems like Tkachuk cemented himself as the #4 overall.

It is a decision Chiarelli (and the scouts) will be judged for and rightfully so.

It’s vital they get it right.

15. Johnny Larue says:

Professor Q:

Katz didn’t sue the construction company. The construction consortium PCL the city sued the architect for drawing errors because it was a fixed price contract. That is the quote was based solely on the drawings which were found to be in error or incomplete. The contract was insured and everyone knew there would be in a project this size.They know are doing this to collect the insurance

16. Centre of attention says:

Alright get your rotten tomatoes ready, its time for a long winded series of trade proposals and signings!

1. Oilers trade #4 overall to Buffalo for #8 + #38 + #88

2. Oilers trade Pouliot, Yak, #32 and #38, for Vatanen and Anderson

3. Flip Anderson to the Leafs for Bozak(25% retained) #56 and Connor Carrick (22 year old promising RHD puck moving prospect, straight to Bakersfield with him)

Oilers get:
    #8, #56, #88
    Bozak
    Connor Carrick
    Vatanen

Oilers give up:
    #4, #32
    Pouliot,
    Yakupov

Reasonable? I think so. I (obviously) expect them to make a play for Demers as well. Demers just makes too much sense. Perhaps they sign a depth winger with some scoring as well.

Opening night:

Hall-Nuge-Draisaitl
    Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
    Cagguila-Bozak-Kassian
    Hendricks-Letestu-Pakarinen

Klefbom-Demers
    Sekera-Fayne
    Davidson-Vatanen

17. Johnny Larue says:

Stupid iPhone the gist is just a way to collect the insurance and was not unexpected

Centre: That is a lot to think about, but I like the roster!

19. LadiesloveSmid says:

Jake Marchment was a player of interest in a potential Schultz/Purcell trade at the deadline, no?

wonder if he gets a contract/pick from EDM

LadiesloveSmid:

wonder if he gets a contract/pick from EDM

I will have a complete update tomorrow, but Marchment is a free agent

21. Professor Q says:

LadiesloveSmid:

wonder if he gets a contract/pick from EDM

So, would the contract be Marchment’s paper?

22. Centre of attention says:

In my proposal, I would rather not have Cagguila in the 3L spot, maybe they sign Matthias but I doubt it. So I will leave Drake there for now.

23. Raider Jesse says:

Professor Q,

based on his junior career. AHL contract with Bakersfield

24. Professor Q says:

Raider Jesse,

Yes. One must learn to use Marchment paper properly if entering the Bakersfield.

25. LadiesloveSmid says:

did score 25 goals this season, same age as Nurse though

26. Centre of attention says:

Centre: That is a lot to think about, but I like the roster!

I think Pou, Yak and two EARLY second round picks (on draft day!!) should be enough to free up Vatanen and Anderson. Likewise I think you can get Buffalo to cough up their other third rounder as well as their second in order to move up.

After that series of trades the Oilers have four 3rd round picks. They could easily trade up or down at that point, or grab some of these fascinating Euro prospects. All sorts of options with all those picks.

27. stephen sheps says:

Centre of attention:

Why not Sleppy or JJ?

Professor Q:

29. Professor Q says:

godot10: http://edmontonjournal.com/business/commercial-real-estate/edmonton-arena-corp-and-city-of-edmonton-sue-rogers-place-architects-for-4-7-million

So what do they do now? Go back and try to fix the mistakes as efficiently as they can before September comes?

Nevermind, lol…

30. JimmyV1965 says:

I’m on board with the idea of grabbing Wisniewski as a stop gap. He’s actually a good dman if he can stay healthy and has a bit of nasty in his game as well. If it turns out badly, it’s not a big deal. Don’t think he fits in for the Canes either.

JimmyV1965:
    I’m on board withthe idea of grabbing Wisniewski as a stop gap. He’s actually a good dman if he can stay healthy and has a bit of nasty in his game as well.If it turns out badly, it’s not a big deal.Don’t think he fits in for the Canes either.

He played one game last year, in an injury prone career. The Oilers are already betting on Klefbom and Davidson coming back from injury.

If he is coming in as the 3rd new right shot D with Carolina retaining half his salary….

But I’m content with Fayne as the 3rd right shot D. He is good expansion bait, especially if Reinhart spends most of the year in the AHL. And he offers some cover in the expansion draft for a guy like Maroon

32. John Chambers says:

Centre of attention,

I feel like you’re undervaluing Andersen.

I see the Flames or Hurricanes making an aggressive pitch for him.

33. John Chambers says:

godot10,

WG posted something I agreed with which was that Chiarelli will ultimately opt to protect 4D (Klef, Sek, Davy, & new RD), and 4F (Hall, Ebs, Drai, & Nuge), and the list of players exposed would include Pouliot, Yakupov, Maroon, and Reinhart.

Fayne seems to be about the 5th or 6th guy LV would take. Why do you suggest Fayne would provide cover to Pouliot? Is it because you feel the Oil will protect 3D and 7F and Fayne’s salary gets them to the floor?

34. square_wheels says:

Pollak might have coughed that but Dillon made the horrible decision to try skating the puck out when he should have hammered it…….while the forwards were already out of the zone.

Pittsburg forechecking murder for that pair.

35. leadfarmer says:

square_wheels:

Pittsburg forechecking murder for that pair.

Speed is the name of the game now. Its no longer size like it was when LA was winning the cup. The Sharks were too fast for the Blues, and made guys like Pietrangelo look slow. The Pens are making the Shark’s third pair and Martin look like they are in a lower league.

John Chambers:
    godot10,

I’ve traded Pouliot for Vatanen! -).

Pouliot will only have one year left on his contract at the expansion draft. He is good bait also, as at the end of his contract, he will be in his early 30’s and the Oilers are unlikely to re-sign him. I don’t fret losing Pouliot in the expansion draft.

I’m protecting eight skaters and a goalie. 4 D and 4 forwards, and if one of the Austin’s is traded, maybe 5D and 3 forwards.

square_wheels:

Pittsburg forechecking murder for that pair.

A goal from the unicorn line playing against the 3rd pairing D.

38. square_wheels says:

godot10,

leadfarmer: Speed is the name of the game now.Its no longer size like it was when LA was winning the cup.The Sharks were too fast for the Blues, and made guys like Pietrangelo look slow.The Pens are making the Shark’s third pair and Martin look like they are in a lower league.

Lead has it correct, skating is so critical in this league. That mistake by Polak reminds me that Gmoney is dimming the power in NW Calgary while the Taylor Hadron Collider determines when tire fires occur. If I had to guess, that mistake happened deep into his shift length. Elite D don’t make mistakes late in their shifts, shitty D routinely do…..so find the mean and look for players who are on the right side of the curve and I think you’ll find some interesting things.

Speed is the NAME of the game now, but everyone** wants to draft Tkachuk to play with McDavid.

Pittsburgh decided to play differently…i.e. fast…than everyone else, and use speed to hide a weak defense. Pittsburgh’s defense is vulnerable if you could ever get to them, but they are fast and can handle and move the puck before you can get to them.

And they play place and chase out of their own end, when they don’t have an outlet pass. This might be the key innovation or twist.

The other coaches haven’t had long enough to really study how to shut it down with “slower” guys.

It helps when one has Crosby and Malkin.

Sullivan is a coach who is coaching the team he has. Use systems to play to his players strengths and to hide their weaknesses, even if it is “deviant”.

40. square_wheels says:

godot10,

Which is why if faced with Oesterle vs Gryba for a 7D take the kid every time.

Draft players that have wheels, regardless of size and position.

41. Pescador says:

Hi all, I’m new to expansion. I understand the Expandor™ Is allowed to pick 1 player per team. But are they obligated? Is there a limit?
    Thanks
    Also I have JJ on the opening night roster 4th line.

42. square_wheels says:

leadfarmer,

And Peitrangelo is not fast, he’s been falling off his elite D thrown for a couple years and it’s because of his wheels.

43. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

godot10:

I’m protecting eight skaters and a goalie.4 D and 4 forwards, and if one of the Austin’s is traded, maybe 5D and 3 forwards.

Agree with this. As I wrote above, if Puljujarvi drops you grab him and use Eberle as a piece to get a top 4D. You then sign a guy like Eriksson to replace Eberle. You leave Eriksson exposed

Something like: 1) Hall, 2) Drai, 3) Nuge protected among Fs
    4) Davidson, 5) Klefbom, 6)Sekera, 7) Severson (hypothetical Yak+ trade), 8) Barrie/Vatanen/Hamonic (hypothetical Eberle + trade) among D.
    Exempt: McDavid, Nurse, Puljujarvi
    Exposed: Eriksson, Pouliot, Maroon, Kassian, Demers, Reinhart, Sobotka, Lander, Letestu, Hendricks.

44. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

You think a guy like Erikson wouldn’t want a NTC/NMC ? Curious how teams will approach UFA’s and how much term and cost will be needed to avoid those clauses ? 10% uplift …..20% …..more ??

45. hugo says:

Not sure if someone has posted this here but there might be a possibility that the oilers wont have to protect Sekera in the expansion draft.

Pierre LeBrunVerified account
    ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
    Difference between no-trade and no-movement clauses, clearly, in expansion draft. Daly says players with just NTC can be exposed

Pierre LeBrunVerified account
    ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
    And while Daly wouldn’t say, presuming therefore that players with full no-moves can’t be exposed. Looks like they’ll be immune to exp draft

46. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

square_wheels:
    NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

He will want one. That’s what I have been saying about Demers, too. What I suggest is overpaying them. With Demers you offer $5M x 5 with NMC (won’t get it done) or go $6m x 6 with no NMC. It’s effectively a NMC because Las Vegas is very unlikely to pick up that contract.

Pescador:
    Thanks
    Also I have JJ on the opening night roster 4th line.

48. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Lowetide: Yes. They would have to choose from each team. ALTHOUGH teams could lose one player each to two expansion team, each of the new teams getting 15 players.

McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl, Nuge, Eberle, Klefbom, Nurse, Sekera- that’s 8.
    The rest all exposed.

Unfair to the teams that are finishing a rebuild and trying to emerge while teams like Toronto get to keep all their recent picks that are exempt.

49. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Instead we get a #4 D for 6M ? Jesus, I’m not certain we need to be that desperate ?

Damn. We do. Fix the D.

50. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Oh that’s exactly what Bettman would love. Sounds like you let the cat out of the bag.

Unfair ? Like Lombardi cap fuckery unfair or just Lucic tripping our goalie and then they score immediately after and it’s neither a penalty or a no goal unfair ?

Once Bill Daley made his announcement last summer nothing is fair. However we’ve got McDavid and the league can go pound sand.

51. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

square_wheels:
    NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Damn. We do. Fix the D.

52. Professor Q says:

Lol. Hertl shaking his booty at the Penguins bench.

53. LadiesloveSmid says:

square_wheels,

why is Demers a #4D? seems like a right handed, younger Sekera no? would like to know how the two compare statistically. I’d love Demers at anything under 6 honestly, the right side is so putrid

54. square_wheels says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

It’s just Demers at 6m, gross. I’d much rather add Vatannen at 3 RHD for 4.X. I think Chia needs to aim higher but in all honesty I would sooner pay Demers 6 for 5 than Seabrook 7 for eternity.

But Demers making Hall/Nuge money raises the bar so bloody high for middle 2, what does that mean for McDavid ? 12M ??

One can play games with the contract of a UFA, like stuffing a huge signing bonus due July 1, 2017, two weeks after the expansion draft, to deter an expansion team choosing them.

i.e. Demers

57. BlueNoteNorth says:

hugo:

Pierre LeBrunVerified account
    ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Pierre LeBrunVerified account
    ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Another take would be NMC players cannot be exposed and must therefore be included on the protected list. Cannot see vets getting any free passes.

58. square_wheels says:

LadiesloveSmid,

Woodguys brilliant study on Demers – http://becauseoilers.blogspot.ca

He’s a 2nd pair RHD with little doubt. Maybe 6 will feel fine when he plays with Sekera, Dreamy or even Davidson. Oduya sucked the life out of him.

BUT I do have a soft spot for Ricki’s HSCA box protection players, as long as they’re 5/6 and can skate.

59. russ99 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: We pray that if they are doing 2 expansion teams they don’t do one per year because the Oilers would be totally fucked if they had expansion drafts in back-to-back years and had to protect McDavid, Nurse, etc. as well.

McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl, Nuge, Eberle, Klefbom, Nurse, Sekera- that’s 8.
    The rest all exposed.

Meh, we’d lose one player per expansion club and could replace a picked player with cap room freed up. Not to mention all those sneaky pre-draft trades.

Expansion draft is not a huge worry with a competent management. Being able to get balance this summer is a bigger worry.

Heck of a game by the Pens tonight, glad they capped it off, would really suck to lose after long stretches of dominance,

Good game by Justin tonight too.

60. bendelson says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: One of Vatanen/Barrie
    One Demers
    One Severson

I like it but let’s tweak that a little to add another option:

One of Vatanen/Barrie
    One Demers
    One of Severson/Pysyk

If you score on the other two, I’d consider Fayne a reasonable consolation prize should Demers choose to get overpaid elsewhere.

61. Магия 10 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Well, I think that’s what we are facing, don’t you? ESPECIALLY this summer, coveted UFAs are going to ask for NMCs. And Chia doesn’t seem against giving them out, but he is going to have to think long and hard about this one.

Can’t they just go NMC for the part of a contract?

They’re be a lot of that if NMC are protected AND outside the count.

The NHL also could grandfather existing NMC but count new NMC.

I’d also suggest that expiring contracts not be exempt from expansion as players aren’t being forced to move.

But you can be sure that whoever dreamt up the chia tMac comp rules will get to botch this one

Of course if they grandfather NMC lou will trade for Stamkos negotiation rights in the morning sign the NMC in the afternoon and the cutoff date will somehow be for the day after.

62. HeatTreaterJoe says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: McDavid strikes me as something of a team player who wants to win so while he will get paid, he will leave a little room. 9.7m x 8 years would be my guess.

I am hoping for your optimistic assessment to play out, but I’m not so sure. Bobby Orr represents both Taylor Hall and McDavid. Taylor Hall’s season-ending interviews seem to show a young man who has become increasingly blunt and unhappy from perennial losing.

If the Oilers continue to lose, and Taylor Hall becomes more dissatisfied with losing forever (Schultz winning a cup won’t help this), I’d place a bet on Orr squeezing Katz hard: worst case scenario obviously is to demand for McDavid to receive maximum pay and sign for only the minimum number of years to free agency (meaning McDavid would be a UFA in 2022 – I think?).

If the Oilers balk at signing such a deal, McDavid could just sit it out for a few months. What is a bottom 3 team in the league going to do? Sit out the franchise player of the whole league? Orr effectively has a ton of power in this situation, and last season’s 29th place finish would have done nothing to improve the relationship between the Oilers and Orr, Hall and McDavid.

NOTE: To be clear, I would be happy for Schultz if we wins a cup. Good for him. I just believe that this will not impact Taylor Hall positively.

EDIT: To re-iterate some comments above, the Oilers should be really, really desperate to fix the blueline right now!!

63. Professor Q says:

HeatTreaterJoe,

I highly doubt McDavid would sit or do that. It’s going to be 8 years.

And yes, I would expect Chia to sit him if he pulled a Drouin.

64. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Sorry NYOIL… I should have simply said “If the Oilers don’t start winning, McDavid won’t have a reason to demand anything short of the absolute maximum amount”

65. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Professor Q:
    I highly doubt McDavid would sit or do that. It’sgoing to bev8 years.
    And yes, I would expect Chia to sit him if he pulled a Drouin.

I really hope you’re right.

66. prairieschooner says:

If PC can not fix all the problems this year do you think he might consider some short term fixes to get through this year (is it Brian Campbell who might be available) and perhaps if there are some better free agents for the D next year

67. HeatTreaterJoe says:

prairieschooner:
    If PC can not fix all the problems this year do you think he might consider some short term fixes to get through this year (is it Brian Campbell who might be available) and perhaps if there are some better free agentsfor the D next year

I hope so… if Chia signed some UFA LD (better than or equal to our existing LD right now), he could potentially make trades for RD (losing the trades, but still ending up with better RD than we currently possess) and still improve our D corps. If Chia can’t knock it out of the park, there needs to be at minimum incremental improvements at several locations.

68. kinger_OIL says:

– Lots of posters responded to the pool. So I will send out a few more time to tabulate.

– Its intersting to see where there is consensus, and divergence.

– Remember, these questions are “What will the Oil do”: At least 25 resposes so far

First prize is a donation to Lowetide.2nd prize: a set of steak knifes, third place: you are banned from LT (I kid!).If I get enough responses, I will tabulate:

2) Name one D that the Oil will acquire, not currently on roster
    3) Name another D that the Oil will acquire, (no one is fine as anwer)
    4) Who will be the backup goalie next year
    5) Will one of the Steve Austins (Ebs/Hall/RNH) be traded (bonus point to pick right one(s))
    6) Which NHL roster players will be bought-out or sent to AHL before start of next season
    7) Who is going to be the forward acquired with the biggest salary in the off-season (no one fine)
    8) Will MacT and/or Howson be “reassigned”?
    9) How many separate trades will the Oil complete (bonus if you name one)
    10) Of Griff/Nurse/Davidson/Osterle/Klef: which ones will be on starting roster for first game

69. Hockey Buddha says:

Random thought…
    With Tkachuk’s stock rising considerably and with all the talk of the Oilers trading down, I wonder if it might not make some sense to look at moving up a spot to acquire Columbus’s pick at 3? What it would take to acquire RWer Jesse Puljujarvi? This looks like a dominant 1-2-3 punch to me:

Pouliot (Caggiula)-Nuge-Eberle
    Maroon-McDavid-Puljujarvi
    Hall-Draisaitl-Yakupov

70. frjohnk says:

kinger_OIL: 1) Who will the first player drafted by the Oil this year? (because I’m tricky/sneaky!)
    2) Name one D that the Oil will acquire, not currently on roster
    3) Name another D that the Oil will acquire, (no one is fine as anwer)
    4) Who will be the backup goalie next year
    8) Will MacT and/or Howson be “reassigned”?
    9) How many separate trades will the Oil complete (bonus if you name one)

1)Tkachuk
    2)Demers
    3)Barrie
    4)Johnson
    5)Yes, Nuge
    6)Korpel Punishment
    7)Helm
    8)no
    9)4
    10)Nurse, Davidson, Klefbom

71. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Rondo:
    By The Numbers: Evaluating OHL Prospects With Advanced Stats

The guy that sticks out to me on this list (relative to expectations, already knew Tkachuk was a top end guy) is Adam Mascherin.

That said the sample size is 3 games… which isn’t close to enough.

72. kinger_OIL says:

frjohnk,

got yours already from last thread!: Korpal punishment: very nice!

73. pts2pndr says:

I think we are all overthinking the whole trade /draft scenario Jacubs razor (sp) .Virtanen for Pouliot plus, Yakupov plus for Severson. Draft Dubois/ Tkachuck sign best available UFA goalie .All the rest is basically see what is offered! Oilers will be in on Demers etc. It will be a case of what’ is available. There is no player that has been mentioned on this board worth going backward 2 years to go forward. It is after all a TEAM game. This next few weeks shud be very interesting!!