LONG RIDE HOME

Can you feel it? Years and years of collecting lottery picks, of having GMs ask themselves questions and answer them in real time (‘do I think we can solve all of the problems this summer?’ ‘Yes, I think I can!’), of taking defensemen to arbitration to earn a buyout window and then not using it. Honestly, it is exhausting.

Today, now, Peter Chiarelli has chosen to go to war with advisors Craig MacTavish, Scott Howson and others from the previous administration. He has his brother in the OHL (a very important league this spring) but there are a lot of names in there who were part of the bad times.

SERAVALLI’S LIST

Frank Seravalli (our guest each Thursday on the Lowdown) put out a list of assets in play for the summer—with Edmonton receiving a starring role:

• No. 1 asset—Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  • No. 4 asset—Oilers No. 4 overall selection
  • No. 12 asset—Jordan Eberle
  • No. 18 asset—Nail Yakupov

All of these trade options have been discussed at length, but having Nuge at No. 1 is a further confirmation of what we have discussed throughout the winter and spring. As I wrote just the other day, Ryan Rishaug, Mark Spector and others didn’t pull this idea out of nowhere—Seravalli is the latest in a long line of connected media to mention him. As you know, I remain convinced the Nuge is more valuable to the Oilers as an Oiler, but that may not be the view of Peter Chiarelli. Who goes? I will guess RNH and Nail. Who comes in? I will guess a RHD and a draft pick.

One thing you can be sure of: If the Oilers trade Nuge they are also adding a veteran center. I will guess Tyler Bozak.

Along with Keven Bouchard not being signed, the Oilers continue to cull the herd. I will post the 50-man list tomorrow morning, but wanted to post what I believe to be the actual prospect list (fewer than 50 NHL games) at this time.

1. C Connor McDavid, Edmonton Oilers (45, 16-32-48).
  2. D Ziyat Paigin, Kazan Ak Bars and Sochi HC (45, 9-19-28).
  3. L Drake Cagguila, North Dakota (39, 25-26-51)
  4. C Jujhar Khaira, Edmonton Oilers (15, 0-2-2) and Bakersfield Condors (49, 10-17-27).
  5. W Anton Slepyshev, Edmonton Oilers (11, 0-1-1) and Bakersfield Condors (49, 13-8-21).
  6. G Laurent Brossoit, Edmonton Oilers (5, 3.61 .873) and Bakersfield Condors (31, 2.66 .920).
  7. D Griffin Reinhart, Edmonton Oilers (29, 0-1-1) and Bakersfield Condors (30, 2-8-10).
  8. RD Ethan Bear, Seattle Thunderbirds (69, 19-46-65).
  9. C Bogdan Yakimov, Bakersfield Condors (36, 5-10-15) and Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik (11, 3-1-4).
  10. D Caleb Jones, Portland Winterhawks (72, 10-45-55).
  11. LD Jordan Oesterle, Edmonton Oilers (17, 0-5-5) and Bakersfield Condors (44, 4-21-25).
  12. L Josh Winquist, Bakersfield Condors (35, 8-22-30).
  13. D Dillon Simpson, Bakersfield Condors (57, 4-16-20)
  14. C Kyle Platzer, Bakersfield Condors (48, 6-11-17).
  15. L Jere Salinen, Jokerit (50, 8-11-19)
  16. D William Lagesson, UMass-Amherst (27, 2-5-7).
  17. D Joey Laleggia, Bakersfield Condors (63, 8-19-27).
  18. G Nick Ellis, Providence (36, 1.80 .936)
  19. R Greg Chase, Bakersfield Condors (19, 1-6-7) and Norfolk Admirals (43, 18-19-37).
  20. RD John Marino, Tri-City Storm (56, 5-25-30).
  21. R Tyler Pitlick, Bakersfield Condors (37, 7-14-21)
  22. R Patrick Russell, St. Cloud State (41, 20-21-41)
  23. C Marco Roy, Bakersfield Condors (42, 8-12-20).
  24. D David Musil, Bakersfield Condors (67, 3-11-14)
  25. W Joey Benik, St. Cloud State (41, 23-25-48)
  26. L Mitch Moroz, Bakersfield Condors (40, 5-5-10)
  27. F Tyler Vesel, Nebraska-Omaha (35, 6-12-18)
  28. L Kale Kessy, Bakersfield Condors (56, 7-5-12)
  29. C Alexis Loiseau, Bakersfield Condors (12, 1-2-3) and Norfolk Admirals (54, 14-26-40)
  30. G Eetu Laurikainen, Bakersfield Condors (18, 3.42 .907)
  31. D Ben Betker, Bakersfield Condors (14, 0-2-2) and Norfolk Admirals (49, 3-14-17)
  32. G Zach Nagelvoort, Michigan (11, 2.99 .893)
  33. G Miroslav Svoboda, HC Sumperk (21, 3.05 .924)
  34. L Evan Campbell, U Mass-Lowell (28, 5-7-12)
  35. L Braden Christoffer, Bakersfield Condors (33, 1-4-5)
  36. L Aidan Muir, Western Michigan (35, 2-6-8)
  37. D Colton Waltz, Saskatoon Blades (65, 5-25-30)

Trading draft picks? Hell adding draft picks might be a better plan, although the Oilers need to have most of their cannons pointed at the NHL roster this summer.

NHL combine is underway, lots of stories to come over the next few days. One area I will be looking at: draft re-entries and pure NHLE as it relates to ranking. Some items tomorrow morning on this, including the idea of drafting by straight up points, and identifying gaps in quality.

If you are going to hire someone from outside the organization, Nashville seems like a good place to shop. I wonder if they can smuggle a goalie or two as well?

88 Responses to "LONG RIDE HOME"

1. Younger Oil says:

I’ll just post my suggestion from the last thread:

This is probably going to sound really dumb, but the more I think about it, the more I think the 4th OV should be treated like the 37th OV was in 2013. Turn it into lots of players. Our prospect depth at wing and RD are just so weak, and some of the best even strength producers in the draft are slated to go in the 20-50 range.

I know this goes against what a lot of the scouts are saying, but hang with me. All the trades are speculative, but hopefully they can be considered “in the range” for the sake of argument.

Trade the #4 to Arizona for the #7 and #20 selections.

Trade the #7 and #62 (compensating for the Chia pick) to the Bruins for #14 and #29

Then draft:

Charlie McAvoy or Dante Fabbro at #14

Alex DeBrincat at #20

Adam Mascherin at #29

Taylor Raddysh at #32

So in summary, we are trading Tkachuk for one of the best RHD in the draft, and the 2nd and 3rd best primary even strength producers in the CHL, only behind Dubois, and then we are drafting Raddysh, who also produces better than Tkachuk by the same metric, and plays on a line with DeBrincat.

That pretty much solves any prospect issues we have, statistically gives us at least 2 future NHL players (though I’d bet on 3 or 4) who won’t be demanding $6M+ contracts when their ELC expires. They will fit with the cap, and McDavid’s core.

Then, use a mix of Nurse/Reinhart, Yakupov, Pouliot, 2017 picks, and possibly one of Eberle/Nuge/Hall to address the current RHD. Something like sign Demers, Pouliot and Reinhart for Vatanen, and Yakupov for Severson.

I know that is never going to happen, but it’s a way to impact the roster and prospect pool in major ways without giving up significant assets, and lessen the potential impact of an expansion draft.

2. Chachi says:

It appears that Coupal was a goalie before he made the switch to coaching. It seems like a lateralish move for him. Just happy the Oilers don’t have to give up something stupid like a 2nd round pick in order to hire him.

Sounds like he is a smart guy too:

3. fifthcartel says:

Why did Casey Cizikas get a 5 year contract?

4. Richard S.S. says:

With the Expansion Draft announcement due soon, will it be held before or after the Draft? The Oilers primary Trade Assets are picks #4 and #32, along with every player (not named Connor McDavid) that doesn’t have to be protected. When we know, things will move fast.

Richard S.S.:
    With the Expansion Draft announcement due soon, will it be held before or after the Draft?The Oilers primary Trade Assets are picks #4 and #32, along with every player (not named Connor McDavid) that doesn’t have to be protected. When we know, things will move fast.

Traditionally, the expansion draft is held right after the Stanley Cup and leads into the entry draft.

6. Rondo says:

If Oilers trade down, my guess it would have to be with Calgary. I think Oilers would take Sergachev at #6.

7. Richard S.S. says:

Re: Expansion.
    We have so many of these that we’ve established a tradition!?!?!?

Richard S.S.:
    Re: Expansion.
    We have so many of these that we’ve established a tradition!?!?!?

Oh yeah. Many expansions.

9. Klima's_Bucket says:

Lowetide: Oh yeah. Many expansions.

Yeah, like Carcassonne, or Settler of Catan.

10. Cameron says:

Rondo:

I’m not saying it won’t happen, but if Calgary moves up, my bet is that do it with Clb in a deal that sends the Jackets a C (Backlund) and the #6.

11. Water Fire says:

Younger Oil:
    I’ll just post my suggestion from the last thread:

Trade the #4 to Arizona for the #7 and #20 selections.

Then draft:

Charlie McAvoy or Dante Fabbro at #14

Alex DeBrincat at #20

Adam Mascherin at #29

Taylor Raddysh at #32

Nicely thought out.

The thing that causes issue with trading down is that the odds of finding impact playersdrops rapidlyoff the top and starts to even out in the middle of the second round say.

So for this year it means # 4 has a strong chance of being a great NHL player, and after the odds of getting simply ‘an NHL player’ start dropping off rapidly to 25% in the first round and then down from there.

In things posters have brought here, teams that trade down often lose out on players that are very good (assuming they would have drafted the same player) and teams that traded up often made out like bandits.

There is still a situational aspect. If you could trade a 28 for two better second rounders you probably are better off.

I like the idea of grouping low round picks for higher. 7 and 5 for 3, 6 and 4 for 3 etc. In terms of stocking the system you are far more likely to find AHL players at least.

2 second round for a. first probably nets a higher quality player. Remember average players are not hard to get and aren’t consistently the difference makers. The draft is best used to find that type of player who is really pricey in free agency or not even available at all.

12. Richard S.S. says:

With Nurse and Reinhart ineligible to be selected, the Oilers only need to protect Sekera, Klefbom and Davidson. So their format should be 7-3-1 and not 8-1. Closer to the draft, that might’ve changed.

13. Ryan says:

Cameron: That might make sense for the Oilers, but given that all of; Tkachuk, Dubois, and Nylander fit Cgy’s needs, and that one of them (or Keller, or Chychrun, or Juolevi…) why would Cgy want to pay move up to #4?

How about Dougie Hamilton and the 6th for the 4rth and korpse? 🙂

Richard S.S.:
    With Nurse and Reinhart ineligible to be selected, the Oilers only need to protect Sekera, Klefbom and Davidson.So their format should be 7-3-1 and not 8-1.Closer to the draft, that might’ve changed.

Why is Reinhart ineligible?

15. Centre of attention says:

Ryan: How about Dougie Hamilton and the 6th for the 4rth and korpse?

Thats a massive over pay for the Oilers IMO, Flames need to throw in TJ Brodie. The kid’s a scrub anyways.

16. Cameron says:

Ryan: How about Dougie Hamilton and the 6th for the 4rth and korpse?

How about; the #6, three 2nd rnd picks this year, the Cgy 1st next year, and Giordano for McDavid? 5 picks (2 1sts, and 3 2nds), and a Norris caliber Dman for your sophmore seems fair, especially given he’s injury prone. .

17. Younger Oil says:

Water Fire,

Agreed, I often take “a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush” view, but for this draft in particular some of the best even strength producers are slated to go in the late first round/early second round.

The more I think about it, the more I think multiple “middle six” players are more valuable to the team than one top line player. I mean, we already have Hall, Ebs and Nuge making $6M a year, Draisaitl will probably ask for that, and McDavid will get even more. Could we really afford Tkachuk or Dubois making that much too within a few years?

Just looking at guys like Rust and Sheary in Pittsburgh right now coming up from the farm and making an impact with a relatively inexpensive contract makes me realize that there isn’t really anyone in Edmonton’s prospect pool who is capable of doing that.

A part of it for me is definitely biased, thinking that DeBrincat, Mascherin, and Raddysh are much, MUCH lower ranked than they should be, but just thinking that in three years we could have:

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    Mascherin-McDavid-DeBrincat
    Cagguila-Draisaitl-Raddysh

As our top 9 is much more appealing than drafting Tkachuk or Dubois and putting all of our eggs in one expensive basket for the top 6. I know that none of the people I’ve been discussing have played an NHL game, but historically from their production and abilities they will have a great chance of having a good career.

Quality players coming in on ELC’s are going to be so incredibly important to the Oilers as soon as McDavid’s ELC runs out, which means it is so important to draft some good bets right now so they can develop in time.

That’s just my two cents at least.

18. LadiesloveSmid says:

Cameron: That might make sense for the Oilers, but given that all of; Tkachuk, Dubois, and Nylander fit Cgy’s needs, and that one of them (or Keller, or Chychrun, or Juolevi…) will be fine at #6. So, why would Cgy want to pay just to move up to #4?

19. Centre of attention says:

If we are trading Nuge to Colorado I expect more than Tyson Barrie, is that fair?

Things get kind of touchy at that point.

In my opinion the Oilers would have to answer these questions first:
    1: Are the Avalanche trading Duchene this summer? If the answer is no, maybe you don’t have to offer Nuge

2: Can you get Duchene in the same deal with Barrie? I think the answer is yes.

3: If the answer to #2 is yes, what would that require you add in addition to Nuge in that deal?

3: Would Klefbom be enough? I think the answer is yes.

4: Is Klefbom too much? I am torn on this one. I want to say yes but doubt very much most of the actual NHL agrees with me. And Peter is dealing with the league, not internet comments.

LT, what is your opinion on a Avalanche – Oiler trade? What would your answers be to those 4 questions if you were Oilers GM?

I would actually like everyone’s opinion on this one.

20. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

For the record LT, I also suggested you should have had Nuge #1 on your list the other day. Just saying…

21. Younger Oil says:

Centre of attention:

Things get kind of touchy at that point.

In my opinion the Oilers would have to answer these questions first:

2: Can you get Duchene in the same deal with Barrie? I think the answer is yes.

3: Would Klefbom be enough? I think the answer is yes.

I would actually like everyone’s opinion on this one.

I think there could be a trade there, but personally wouldn’t give up Nuge AND Klefbom in any one trade, there is a good chance that the Avs could end up with the two best players in the deal.

22. Water Fire says:

Younger Oil:
    Water Fire,

Hall-Nuge-Eberle
    Mascherin-McDavid-DeBrincat
    Cagguila-Draisaitl-Raddysh

That’s just my two cents at least

I agree that more better players are more valuable than one any player. This is the problem with Subban’s contract – is he better alone than 2 good D? What if he gets hurt?

The problem is that the elite players are hard to get. Hoping the players you mentioned are the diamonds in

Kiltymcbagpipes:

Haha. He is currently No. 9, because that is the correct call 🙂

24. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Simple trade in my opinion. Nuge+ whoever for Jenner and Savard. Columbus runs Foligno-Hopkins-Puljujarvi, Saad-Dubinsky-Atkinson with Jones-Murray and Johnson-Werenski. We get a solid RHD in Savard and another all round C-Lw in Jenner who can play all situations. Add picks or prospects to even out.

Maybe Jarmo can be talked into taking his fellow Finn Korpse too to help ease Puljujarvi’s transition to America!

Centre of attention:

Things get kind of touchy at that point.

In my opinion the Oilers would have to answer these questions first:

2: Can you get Duchene in the same deal with Barrie? I think the answer is yes.

3: Would Klefbom be enough? I think the answer is yes.

I would actually like everyone’s opinion on this one.

I think Colorado is prime opportunity because they are hockey people who think they are brilliant and don’t know what they don’t know. Is Peter Chiarelli smart enough to fleece them?

26. JimmyV1965 says:

Centre of attention:

Things get kind of touchy at that point.

In my opinion the Oilers would have to answer these questions first:

2: Can you get Duchene in the same deal with Barrie? I think the answer is yes.

3: Would Klefbom be enough? I think the answer is yes.

I would actually like everyone’s opinion on this one.

Sorry, but I don’t think the Avs touch this deal. Duchene is better than RNH today and Barrie is better than Klef today. Maybe if we throw in the 4th they might do it.

27. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Lowetide: Haha. He is currently No. 9, because that is the correct call

Boy you are stubborn. Lol. We will make sure we send someone over to your house periodically to check on you when he is dealt…..

28. Gret99zky says:

Attn: Kinger Oil

1) Puljujarvi
    2) Subban
    3) Yandle
    4) Cam Ward
    5) Eberle & RNH
    6) Korpse
    7) Okposo
    8) Nope, still around.
    9) 4 trades
    10) Klefbom & Davidson

29. anonymous says:

I no longer believe that Chiarelli is the lone man in charge. I don’t believe Mact and Lowe have less power. I think Katz pulled those guys away from the media and brought in Chiarelli to be the face and part of the “team”.

Last summer reeked of Mact and Lowe moves and watching Mact at the draft next to Connor also made my eyebrow raise. All those moves failed and Mact and Howson are still there.

30. JimmyV1965 says:

I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but I think the board is going loonie tonight. I get the idea of trading down to get more picks, but you don’t trade a 4th pick that is virtually a lock to be a top 6 forward for more numerous lower picks. I can see the logic of trading the 32nd pick for multiple lower round picks, but not the 4th. I’m really hoping this is our last kick at the can for a high end pick for many years. We either use it or trade it as part of a package for a surefire dman.

31. Oilspill says:

In order of priority in play.
    FAYNE
    YAKOPOV
    EBERLE
    HALL
    RNH Stays
    Team is going to players with slightly lower skill and a lot more toughness.

32. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Is there a GM in the NHL who values Lauri Korpikoski more (or at all) than Columbus GM Jarmo Kekalainen? After all, he is part of the management who surprisingly selected Korpse to Team Finland.

If we can’t swing a Nuge+Korpse package for Jenner&Savard+ maybe we can just trade him for a bag of pucks. We could always use more pucks.

33. Rondo says:

Regarding Sergachev

I’m sure Rocky Thompson head coach of Windsor has a relationship with the Oilers.

34. Water Fire says:

Water Fire: I agree that more better players are more valuable than oneany player. This is the problem with Subban’s contract– is he better alone than 2 good D? What if he gets hurt?

the rough has proven to be a far less successful strategy than drafting the top ranked players.

If anyone could predict the players after the top 5 consistently that person would be the highest paid player in hockey including the players.

Forgive the break, I’m under Klingon attack. Have them on the run now, anyone want souvenirs?

35. kinger_OIL says:

Gret99zky,

– Got it: I will repost the pool tmrw in next thread for last imte: well over 50 so far!

36. Richard S.S. says:

Griffin Reinhart should be ineligible to be drafted in the Expansion Draft because he only played 8 games in 2014-2015 so he should be a one year rookie, like Nurse and McDavid. Brandon Davidson must be protected because he played 12 games in 2014-2015 so he’s official played two years. If I’m wrong please explain.

37. Water Fire says:

anonymous:

Last summer reeked of Mact and Lowe moves and watching Mactat the draft next to Connor also made my eyebrow raise. All those moves failed and Mact and Howson are still there.

These things may very well be true. I can guarantee you that eventually it will catch up with the Katz if it is true.

Edmonton doesn’t have the population to sustain bad and even hostile to fans behavior from the Oilers as Montreal and Toronto.

If there isn’t a fresh approach the team will pay, especially because Connor. There can be no excuse making now and the sudden changes last summer reflect a recognition of that.

38. Mr DeBakey says:

Its time to get serious

Taylor Hall to Brooklyn for Travis Hamonic, the 19th, Parker Wotherspoon & Michael Dal Colle

Jorden Eberle to Newark for Damon Severson, the 11th, John Quenneville

Andrej Sekera ** Travis Hamonic
    Oscar Klefbom ** Damon Severson
    Brandon Davidson ** Mark Fayne
    Eric Gryba

Cam Talbot ** Cam Ward

39. Quinlan says:

Really don’t think PC trades Nuge. If he does it will be yuge!

40. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Mr DeBakey,

I take it you don’t believe Yakupov will net much in a trade? Personally, if his perceived value is that low, I’d put him on Drai or McDavid’s wing and at least try to pump his value.

41. Jordan says:

1) Who will the first player drafted by the Oil this year? (because I’m tricky/sneaky!)
    Tkachuk

2) Name one D that the Oil will acquire, not currently on roster
    Faulk

3) Name another D that the Oil will acquire, (no one is fine as anwer)
    Severson

4) Who will be the backup goalie next year
    Enroth

5) Will one of the Steve Austins (Ebs/Hall/RNH) be traded (bonus point to pick right one(s))
    Hall (for Faulk)

6) Which NHL roster players will be bought-out or sent to AHL before start of next season
    None

7) Who is going to be the forward acquired with the biggest salary in the off-season (no one fine)
    No one

8) Will MacT and/or Howson be “reassigned”?

9) How many separate trades will the Oil complete (bonus if you name one)
    – Hall for Faulk + Draft pick
    – Yak+ for Severson
    – Korpse for future considerations

10) Of Griff/Nurse/Davidson/Osterle/Klef: which ones will be on starting roster for first game
    Davidson Klefbom

Richard S.S.:

Griffin Reinhart should be ineligible to be drafted in the Expansion Draft because he only played 8 games in 2014-2015 so he should be a one year rookie, like Nurse and McDavid.Brandon Davidson must be protected because he played 12 games in 2014-2015 so he’s official played two years.If I’m wrong please explain.

Reinhart was drafted in 2012, turned pro in 2014. The coming season will be his third pro year.

43. Mr DeBakey says:

HeatTreaterJoe:
    Mr DeBakey,

I take it you don’t believe Yakupov will net much in a trade?Personally, if his perceived value is that low, I’d put him on Drai or McDavid’s wing and at least try to pump his value.

I didn’t know what the hell to do with him.
    I tend to agree with you, but fear the split is irrevocable, or irreversible, or some other ir word.
    But if they kept him, it’d mean signing one less UFA winger. So, no prob.

44. LadiesloveSmid says:

are we thinking the top 3 D will be gonne by #10? would love a Barrie deal around 4, 10, Barrie, and whatever else from EDM’s side and to come away with maybe Sergachev or Chychrun. Maybe wishful thinking.

45. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Mr DeBakey,

If the Oilers trade Hall in a 1 for 3, “You’re going the wrong way.”

Edit- I didn’t even see the Eberle one. You have 2 contracts going out, 7 coming in. There is a 50 man limit.

46. LadiesloveSmid says:

So bye bye Miss American pie, drove my chevy Juolevi but the levee was dry

47. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    So bye bye Miss American pie, drove my chevy Juolevi but the levee was dry

groan

48. Mr DeBakey says:

LadiesloveSmid: Maybe wishful thinking.

Definitely maybe

fifthcartel:
    Why did Casey Cizikas get a 5 year contract?

That’s an interesting signing and it may have implications for the Oilers.

Cizkas was 2nd behind only Tavares in 5v5 scoring this year playing with players who are not noted for scoring in Martin and Clutteruck.

It looks like Snow has him tabbed to take Nielsen’s spot.

I’m not convinced he can do it, but that’s besides the point.

So if Nielsen is available, this changes the RNH equation.

Nielsen is about as effective as RNH against the same comp, but he’s cheaper.

I’m a big RNH fan and think that relying on DrySaddle to play those minutes is a mistake today.

However, I’ve always thought the right time to move RNH was at the end of McDavid’s contact as DrySaddle *should* be able to handle 2C by then.

But if Chia can replace RNH with Nielsen at a reasonable ticket, then I’d be ok cashing in RNH for a Dman right now.

Nielsen is 32 now so you can’t go too long on the contract, but he’s a very good C.

50. Mr DeBakey says:

NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker": If the Oilers trade Hall in a 1 for 3, “You’re going the wrong way.”

In the First Place, the Hall deal is one for four.

In the Second Place, none of the 2016 draftees would play pro next year [If I were the King of Hockey]. Wotherspoon can still play junior too. Plus, the Oilers could throw a Platzer-like prospect into each trade. Plus, the Oilers don’t have to re-sign Gryba. I could go on and on.

And remember – Don’t draft like puke, Draft Pierre-Luc!

51. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Mr DeBakey: In the First Place, the Hall deal is one for four.

In the Second Place, none of the 2016 draftees would play pro next year [If I were the King of Hockey].Wotherspoon can still play junior too. Plus, the Oilers could throw a Platzer-like prospect into each trade.Plus, the Oilers don’t have to re-sign Gryba.I could go on and on.

And remember –Don’t draft like puke, Draft Pierre-Luc!

Oh good, a Trump reference. 🙂

52. Cameron says:

LadiesloveSmid: man if the jackets traded down for a fringe 2C/good 3C, the city would burn. Sign Nielsen in FA and lose nothing

Also, Backlund > Nielsen by a fair margin.

53. Acumen says:

ATTN KingerOil

1) Puljujarvi (after a trade with CBJ)
    2) Faulk
    3) Severson
    4) Khudobin
    5) Nuge (for Faulk)
    6) Nope, just Ference on IR
    7) No one
    8) I sincerely hope so. I’ll say yes, Howson probably gets moved along
    9) 4, with one being Nuge for Faulk
    10) Klefbom, Davidson, with Reinhart in the coffee box.

54. who says:

Centre of attention:

Things get kind of touchy at that point.

In my opinion the Oilers would have to answer these questions first:

2: Can you get Duchene in the same deal with Barrie? I think the answer is yes.

3: Would Klefbom be enough? I think the answer is yes.

I would actually like everyone’s opinion on this one.

And yes Colorado would jump at this trade. No way the Oilers offer it.

55. Soup Fascist says:

anonymous:

And Chiarelli agreed to this arrangement because …..?????

56. Johnny skid says:

Cameron: Also, Backlund > Nielsen by a fair margin.

you keep spelling Monahan wrong.

57. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

I’ve seen Severson’s name come up 7 times on this page. I’m not sure why all of the sudden.

58. Mr DeBakey says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Oh good, a Trump reference.

Just to follow up
    What I’m doing here is writing off the “Hall Cluster”
    All Hail the New King!

I can’t visualize the trade that sends one $6mm Man out and improves the team.
    Also, I can’t visualize a team trading the Oilers a Top-4 RHD in exchange for a pick 4 to 6 spots better.
    So, reading all these suggestions that either of the above will happen got me looking at the problem from a slightly different angle.
    I don’t necessarily like or prefer my “Serious” suggestion, but I can visualize it.

Remember what I said about drafting Pierre- Luc!

59. John Chambers says:

Cameron: Agreed, but I would think Cgy might package some of the three 2nd rnd picks in the deal as ‘sweetner’.

Also, Backlund > Nielsen by a fair margin.

So the guy who you judge to be “better” has just come off a career year where he eclipsed the 40-pt plateau for the first time while the inferior player has scored 40 or more points / 82 six consecutive seasons, including two 50+ point campaigns.

You’re normally a pretty good baserunner Cameron but I think we’re picking you off on this one.

60. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Have we any clarification on whether expansion fees count towards HRR?

If they do you get a $1B windfall for adding two teams.

I presume the owners will find a way to not give any to the players if at all possible.

That said, in theory, 2 teams means 2/30 or roughly a 6.7 percent increase in revenue, meaning ceteris paribus the cap will go up in 2017-2018 by 6.7 percent. Bails out the capped out teams again. Oilers can spend on guys like Demers or Sobotka or Eriksson and still have room for Drai and McDavid when their new cap hits kick in.

61. Soup Fascist says:

Cameron:

Also, Backlund > Nielsen by a fair margin.

What gives? I thought McCurdy was the only one allowed to discuss topics from planets other than Good ‘ol Earth.

62. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Mr DeBakey,

I agree the suggestions of 4+ Reinhart for 10+ Barrie and 4+Nuge for 9+ Subban are not going to happen because they are both terrible trades for Colorado and Montreal.

63. Gerta Rauss says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Have we any clarification on whether expansion fees count towards HRR?

I’m fairly certain they do not.

64. doritogrande says:

Casey Cizikis is worth north of 3M per year? for five years?

For every time Snow looks suave by fleecing Peter Chiarelli, there’s the equal and opposite foot-in-mouth.

65. Soup Fascist says:

Gerta Rauss: I’m fairly certain they do not.

They were specifically excluded from “Hockey Related Revenue” in the CBA. That slush fund belongs exclusively to the owners.

66. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Soup Fascist,

Gerta Rauss,

Thanks. Figured as much. Still, the cap will go up by ~6.5 percent.

67. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woodguy: That’s an interesting signing and it may have implications for the Oilers.

It looks like Snow has him tabbed to take Nielsen’s spot.

I’m not convinced he can do it, but that’s besides the point.

So if Nielsen is available, this changes the RNH equation.

Nielsen is about as effective as RNH against the same comp, but he’s cheaper.

Do you have any spidey senses on this one? From what I hear he will stay with the Isles for 3 years ~14m. He loves it there and they love him. I suspect Strome or Nelson may shake loose along with Okposo and maybe Martin now.

68. LadiesloveSmid says:

Also, Backlund > Nielsen by a fair margin.

man he must be the best defensive player in the league if Nielsen outscores him every season (sometimes vastly) and he’s still ahead by a fair margin! or you’re off your mark, as per usual!

it’s alright I live in Calgary, where late 2nd round picks become worth top 5 picks seconds after Treliving makes them

69. JimmyV1965 says:

who: OK, I got scolded the other day for suggesting trading 24 year old Brandon Davidson who is signed for 2 years at 1.4 mil with 1 extra year of club control. Yet people keep suggesting we trade 22 year old Oscar Klefbom who is signed for 7 more years at 4 mil. This is the best contract that the Oilers have. They would be fools to trade Klef.
    And yes Colorado would jump at this trade. No way the Oilers offer it.

I think the concern with Klef is injury. Look at his bio at hockey db. He’s never played a full season, even his three years in Sweden. That has to be a huge red flag for any team.

70. Soup Fascist says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Soup Fascist,

Gerta Rauss,

Thanks. Figured as much. Still, the cap will go up by ~6.5 percent.

I could be out to lunch, but I would think the extra revenues by adding a team would increase the HRR but there are now 23 additional guys at the table. At the end of the day unless an expansion franchise greatly outperforms the average in terms of revenue, increases to the cap will be negligible.

71. erik says:

I would think that the main benefit that players get from expansion would be 23 more NHL jobs per new team meaning more competition for their services and a better chance at a longer career.

72. Jordan says:

erik:

So – adding 2 expansion teams means there are 6 more 1st line players in the NHL and 12 more top 6 forwards, and 8 more top four D-men.

So, does this mean the RNH is a 2C instead of a 3C, and Fayne is a top 4D man instead of a top 6?

Whooooop Whoooop Woop Woop Woop Woop

73. SwedishPoster says:

JimmyV1965: I think the concern with Klef is injury.Look at his bio at hockey db. He’s never played a full season, even his three years in Sweden. That has to be a huge red flag for any team.

That’s not correct. He’s played full seasons in Sweden where he jumped back and forth between juniors and the men’s team. The only longer hiatus he’s had in Sweden was when he injured his shoulder. He missed some time as a safety measure due to a suspected head injury that was later deemed to not have been a concussion.
    I still don’t see a pattern in his injuries. The issue for me is him missing valuable developement time during some crucial years which might either stall his progress or delay it a few years.
    Word is that he’s in the physical shape of his life but he hasn’t been able to skateduring the spring, obviously quite important for a hockey player, do think has been skating for some weeks now though but that info isn’t from a very good source so take it for what it’s worth.

74. russ99 says:

anonymous:

I really don’t think Chiarelli would have taken the gig if that were true.

But the optics just don’t look right, and the architects of the second half and most mismanaged era of the rebuild are still there and their voices are being heard, which is scary.

I also suspect some meddling, i.e. Katz going to bat for MacT/Howson’s ideas may be going on behind the scenes.

Who was really behind running Schultz at crazy minutes all year?
    Why wasn’t Nikitin bought out?
    Why did our quality veteran coach who despite his dump tendencies and being vastly more flexible in San Jose look like the second coming of Dallas Eakins in unbending “we’re going to play this way” mode?

Something smells fishy.

I hope Chiarelli has more free rein in making the moves we need to turn the corner this summer, and he takes the old boy “scouting” with a grain of salt, since he’s the GM and president of hockey ops and he’s ultimately responsible if this doesn’t turn around.

If Katz is still playing his old boy games, it will come home to roost, and with the new arena he could be leaving a ton of cash on the table if it all goes south because he needs his 80s Oiler crew around.

75. who says:

Seems to me that a lot of trade proposals here are based on what would be best for the Oilers without really taken into consideration the needs of the other teams. The two deals mentioned a lot here lately are some form of Nuge for Barrie or Nuge for Faulk. Neither one of these deals make sense from the perspective of the other team.
    Why would Colorado, with one of the worst defenses in the league, trade one of their legit blueliners for another skill forward. That is their team strength, why sacrifice a dman to add to it.
    And why would Carolina trade their best dman with a 4 mil contract for a centerman that they don’t need earning 6 mil. They already have Stall, Rask and Lindholm at center and next year they will have a player with the exact same skill set as Nuge in Aho. Doesn’t make sense
    Everyone seems to agree that the Oilers most pressing need is on defense, particularly right shooters, so it only makes sense to search out teams that have a surplus.
    Anaheim, Winnipeg, Buffalo are certainly teams that have an excess of righty dmen or in Anaheims case just a general excess of dmen
    Anaheims biggest hole is on left wing so Pouillot for Vatanen makes a lot of sense for both teams although I am not sure Vatanen would be a big difference maker for Edmonton. If they want to go whale hunting some form of Hall for Lindholm would certainly improve the Oilers defense or would give them the flexibility to trade a lefty dmen which is a position of relative strength.
    Winnipeg and Buffalo are deep in righties and short on quality leftys on the blueline so these teams would appear to be good trading partners as well.
    I would rank Edmontons best trade assets, other than MacDavid, as Hall, Drai, Klef, 4OV, Nurse, Nuge and Eberle in that order. I think the two players who have the best chance of increasing their trade value in the next year are Nuge and Nurse and the two players who have the best chance of losing trade value are Hall and Drai. I sure hope the Oilers don’t sell low on some of these guys.
    And this brings me to Yak. Most posters are assuming he is traded this winter but what would be the point? Can his value get any lower? It would seem prudent to me to keep him another year, hope he rebounds, and then cash in when he does. Seems like a pretty safe bet. What do they really have to lose?

76. Yeti says:

Jordan: So, does this mean the RNH is a 2C instead of a 3C

Lets wait for him to finally hit 50 points in a season before we start having those conversations.

who,

Barrie is mentioned as being on the block by the MSM, most notably Elliott Freidman.

Faulk is the same, but I think Stauffer was the one who mentioned his name.

We’re just riffing off of it.

Also,

Lindholm hasn’t played at C at all in his career so far.

I owned him (just traded him) in a keeper pool and have followed his career closely.

Also,

Faulk ‘s real dollars over the next 4 years are 5.5, 5.5, 6, 6, so in actual dollars he’s really close to RNH and actually dollars matter more than cap dollars to CAR.

78. spoiler says:

Has Nurse been traded yet?

It’s comin’, baby.

79. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Mr DeBakey: I didn’t know what the hell to do with him.
    But if they kept him, it’d mean signing one less UFA winger. So, no prob.

(sorry for the late response) I think you’re right too. It’s sad that we’re at a point where the best case scenario may be a pump-and-dump (and the worst case is going to be a low 2nd round pick). How brutal will it be if Yak ends up netting a 2nd round pick, too low to compensate the Bruins for Chia?

80. anonymous says:

Water Fire,

I think it was done to placate the fans.

spoiler:
    Has Nurse been traded yet?

It’s comin’, baby.

I really don’t think it is.

82. anonymous says:

Soup Fascist: And Chiarelli agreed to this arrangement because …..?????

Why not? Done to placate the fans. Connor Mcdavid? Why wouldn’t he agree to it? Oh, sorry??????

83. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woodguy,

On that Faulk thing every source over in Carolina says untouchable and future captain while Gregor somehow has one of their scouts saying “for the right price.” I do wonder.

Also all signs point to Nielsen re-signing with the Isles as far as I know.
    3-4 years 12-14m. He loves it there and they love him.

84. BONE207 says:

Hey LT…don’t you sleep? Aren’t you on holiday? Do you really have a wife? I’m questioning cause I don’t think you could get away with sleeping on a keyboard and eating cheezies all day.

85. Ice Sage says:

who:
    Seems to me that a lot of trade proposals here are based on what would be best for the Oilers without really taken into consideration the needs of the other teams. The two deals mentioned a lot here lately are some form of Nuge for Barrie or Nuge forFaulk. Neither one of these deals make sense from the perspective of the other team.
    I would rank Edmontons best trade assets, other than MacDavid, as Hall, Drai, Klef, 4OV, Nurse, Nuge and Eberle in that order.I think the two players who have the best chance of increasing their trade value in the next year are Nuge and Nurse and the two players who have the best chance of losing trade value are Hall and Drai. I sure hope the Oilers don’t sell low on some of these guys.

This is nicely put, IMO.

I, too, expect some trades and free agent signings that will underwhelm us initially.
    The thing we never know for sure is which players are ‘bad in the room’ and are on the trading block for qualitative reasons. Colorado strikes me as an org that would deal from this perspective.

BONE207:

Haha. The aging process allows for less sleep. 🙂

87. threeputtdouble says:

Not intended to criticise any player:

LT, if the Oilers had used their 2 draft picks sensibly rather than trading them for Reinhart, where would those two prospects land on your list?