BENNY AND JOON

How many games will Drake Caggiula play in the NHL this season? 0? 10? 40? I think the outer marker is 40, but believe he will play at least a game or two in the NHL. If you think about how advanced he is as a prospect—and his age—it makes sense that Edmonton would fast track him. His draft year? 2012.

Drake Caggiula will probably start the season as a feature player with the Bakersfield Condors. Here is an early projection for Bakersfield’s roster in 2016-17:

1. G Laurent Brossoit. He is halfway between the AHL and NHL at this point.
  2. G Nick Ellis: May start at Norfolk.
  3. G Eetu Laurikainen: A big season ahead for the Finn. Needs to show well.
  4. D Griffin Reinhart: Another player who could see 0-40 games in the NHL 16-17.
  5. D Dillon Simpson: I think he might get a game or two with Edmonton.
  6. D Joey Laleggia: He will probably play a more prominent role.
  7. D Ben Betker: May spend most of the season in the AHL.
  8. C Jujhar Khaira: He could spend the entire season in Edmonton or Bakersfield.
  9. C Bogdan Yakimov: Complete wild card. If he is in NA, he must post crooked numbers.
  10. C Kyle Platzer: A big season for him in California. He needs to play. A lot.
  11. L Drake Caggiula: He should score well in the AHL, and get NHL time.
  12. L Jere Sallinen: Could be a candidate for recall depending on performance.
  13. L Mitch Moroz: More playing time and better health required.
  14. L Braden Christoffer: Year one, he looked overwhelmed.
  15. R Anton Slepyshev: More competition this year, but he has a chance.
  16. R Patrick Russell: Excellent resume, should be AHL-ready right away.
  17. R Greg Chase: Like Platzer, he needs playing time in Bakersfield.

musil ferguson 1415

It is also fascinating to look at the FA list and contemplate who will be signed (among Condors) and who might end up walking.

1. D Jordan Oesterle: He would be one of the first recall options.
  2. D Adam Clendening: A righty, he would also receive early recall consideration.
  3. D David Musil: Oilers have duplicated his skills thrice and more. Bubble.
  4. D Brad Hunt: Unlikely signing in my opinion. Oesterle/Laleggia will replace him.
  5. L Luke Gazdic: Completely up in the air in my opinion.
  6. L Josh Winquist: I hope they sign him, he has earned the chance.
  7. L Kale Kessy. I think the Oilers will pass on the opportunity.
  8. C Josh Currie: He is a good player and is young enough to have a career.
  9. C Marco Roy: His numbers were good in year one, he has a chance in my opinion.
  10. R Tyler Pitlick: He would be a strong option for early recall.

ANAHEIM CALLING

The more I look at this month, the closer I get to Disneyland. The match between Edmonton and Anaheim is excellent in terms of trade before Milan Lucic arrives on July 1 (as I have been saying forever, if the big man reaches free agency, PC will go hard to the hoop to get him signed).

ana dThe Ducks are apparently contemplating moving someone out (internal cap and RFA status means pressure) and for Edmonton the most attractive blue are Hampus Lindholm and Sami Vatanen. We have discussed Lindholm as an option in days gone down here on this blog, and Vatanen would be a good option as a puck mover. We know the two teams have talked in the recent past:

• Jason Gregor in late March: Right around the trade deadline a source told me Yakupov and his camp had asked for a trade, but I could never get a solid confirmation so I didn’t write it. My source mentioned at the time the Ducks were close (not guaranteed but close) on a deal with Yakupov and Benoit Pouliot prior to the trade deadline, but the injury to Pouliot put an end to those discussions. Source

Edmonton and Anaheim did in fact do business (Patrick Maroon) but we may see these two teams make another deal this month. Lindholm? Vatanen? I have always felt the right guy to deal is Cam Fowler, but if Bob Murray is interested in trading Lindholm or Vatanen, Edmonton needs to close in on a deal.

bear capture camp oil

At this point, I think we can safely say there is some kind of fracture and the Oilers are once again in danger of losing another fine prospect. There were hints of a signing around the time Caleb Jones inked his deal, and some of us thought the deal would be signed in the days after Seattle’s season ends. We are now well into June, no word, and reasonable people can begin to suggest Bear will enter his final junior season as a possible draft re-entry.

In recent years, Edmonton has drafted—and not signed—Tobias Rieder and Erik Gustafsson. Is Bear the next one? For the Oilers, it would be ridiculous and counterproductive to lose a perfectly good prospect—but, once again, we are here.

I am not privy to negotiations, but I am not a fool, either. If Ethan Bear has decided to make a bet on himself, I congratulate him on it and we can talk about where he ranks for the 2017 NHL draft in a few months. I will say that the Edmonton Oilers badly need value contracts for the Connor McDavid era, and from the outside this looks wrongheaded. Hopefully we see an Ethan Bear entry-level deal very soon.

Note: Oilers have until June 1, 2017 to sign Bear. No imminent danger, but the rumor about being close, followed by crickets, suggests a disconnect.

CHIARELLI’S NEEDS LIST

1. Top-pairing D to partner with Klefbom (Jason Demers, Justin Faulk)
  2. Second-pairing RHD to partner with Sekera (Tyson Barrie/Sami Vatanen)
  3. Acquire RHC with some skill (Small group available. Andrew Shaw? Tommy Wingels? Tyler Bozak?)
  4. Backup goalie (Jhonas Enroth, James Reimer)
  5. Offload unwanted contract (Lauri Korpikoski)

CHIARELLI’S AVAILABLE LIST

1. Benoit Pouliot
  2. Mark Fayne
  3. Nail Yakupov
  4. No. 4 overall selection
  5. Young LHD (Darnell Nurse, Griffin Reinhart, Brandon Davidson)
  6. Cap space
  7. 2017 1st round selection
  8. Jordan Eberle
  9. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  10. Leon Draisaitl
  11. Taylor Hall

Benoit Pouliot and Nail Yakupov for Sami Vatanen and some salary retained? Taylor Hall for Hampus Lindholm? Interesting days ahead.

rieder6

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy, fun show at 10, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Jonathan Willis, Cult of Hockey. June is busting out all over! We will discuss Oilers options and some of the rumors/proposals.
  • Guy Flaming, Pipeline Show. Connor Bleackley goes back in the draft, Jake Bean is Red Line’s top defenseman, who is the best draft-eligible goalie in the draft.
  • Steve Kournianos, The Draft Analyst. Steve’s list from No. 4 through No. 9 is an interesting one, and Oilers fans should know about it.
  • Don Landy, CFL.ca. We will continue the CFL tour, with a look at some of the top teams, including EE.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

140 Responses to "BENNY AND JOON"

1. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

If the Ducks are trading Lindholm/Vatanen for cap reasons how could they afford Hall’s contract?

I’m also partly convinced this would result in the Oilers being perpetually beaten by the Ducks (and soundly) for the next half decade so I’m not sure this is a good trade for Chia at all. Perry-Getzlaf, Kesler-Hall, that’s an awful lot of beef on two lines right there.

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:

3. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Also I think intelligent people will be seeing the very nice run that J. Schultz is having with the Pens and may consider Yak as a similar type of reclamation project. No idea how much this would bump up the value of the young man but I could see a deep forward team like the Ducks thinking very long and hard about redeploying the man and finding a very useful relatively inexpensive asset. They still employ Andrew Cogliano, who left the Oilers under similar circumstances, which has worked out well for them over the years.

Would Yak+Poo with $750,000-$1 million retained on Poo be enough to pry Lindholm loose?

4. Primetime says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

I think it may be matter of distribution of money. Willing to pay for top end forward talent, but can’t afford to pay all of Lindholm/Vatanen/Fowler market value on the back end. I don’t think they let Lindholm go regardless of price…

They need scoring yet we keep thinking Pouliot/Yakupov. Surprised they are not discussing Eberle? Eberle with either of Getzlaf/Kesler would be huge, with Perry on the other line…balanced scoring.

Would Eberle/Fayne (salary retained) for Vatanen/Silfverberg interest anyone? Fayne would give them temporary/cheap cover to break in their young D men to replace Sami

SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo!:

6. wheatnoil says:

Maybe Bear isn’t signed because he’s being dangled as the prospect in a 3 for 1? No sense in inking him and trading him in a matter of weeks. Kind of bad form.

7. Marc says:

If Bear is asking for a max bonus contract would you give it to him, knowing the impact it would have on the Oilers’ cap in the post-McDavid ELC years?

8. Primetime says:

wheatnoil,

I had the same thought! For some reason I have it in my head, that Hamonic is still in play and Bear is part of a package return for him….Yakupov/Bear/+?

9. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

If that’s the trade I say pass, I like Lindholm but unless Hall has asked out (and I don’t believe he has) then you’ll be trying to replace him the minute he leaves.

I’ve been following WGs, G’s and WheatNOil’s work this spring (absolutely top drawer gentlemen) on defensemen and I can’t shake just how dreamy Oscar looks (nevermind his trend line). Chia does seem to be aware of Klef’s range and his skill set and since we haven’t seen MacT passing out resumes anywhere I think we can assume that he has talked the Swede up to Chia extensively.

Damn that stupid skate injury really did bugger things up. We’d have a much better idea on whether hunting for a 1D was a fools pursuit of Klefbom could have played 70 games. Damn you ridiculous locker room infections damn you!

On the expansion draft. If we have it on reasonable grounds to believe the NMCs won’t need protection and won’t count against the salary requirement does this mean Chia can toss an NMC Demers way and not have to worry about it? I think that could be a huge huge selling feature (we know it influenced Sekera’s choice). Would 5 X $5.5 with an NMC until July1 2019 sound like a reasonable offer? Am
    I way off base?

10. wheatnoil says:

Primetime:
    wheatnoil,

I had the same thought!For some reason I have it in my head, that Hamonic is still in play and Bear is part of a package return for him….Yakupov/Bear/+?

I suspect that wouldn’t be enough for Hamonic (if he is still in play). However, if a 3 for 1 is the play, Bear is one of the logical sweeteners with value. (Though, I’d prefer moving in that case Caleb Jones given the handedness problems on the Oilers, but he may not have quite as much value given Bear’s playoffs.)

11. Ducey says:

Maybe Bear isn’t signed because they are haggling over bonus money and THEY HAVE A YEAR to work it out.

He took a big step forward this year. If he can duplicate it next year, then give him what he wants for Christmas.

I have often wondered why the bonus matters much for guys like this. If he spends 3 years on the farm he won’t be earning bonus money anyway, will he?

He has to take a 3 yr ELC, right, or can he hold out for a 2 yr?

EDIT: A little searching shows that if he is 21 or under he has to sign a 3 yr.

12. Hall Awaits says:

Is there anything to suggest that Bear won’t sign from anyone in the know, LT? Bob mentioned it should get done soon. Would be a shame to not get the young man signed.

And if we’re talking Lindholm and Hall as main cogs in a trade, I’d love to flip Yakupov for Pirri in that deal as well.

If Chiarelli adds Lindholm, Lucic, Pirri, Demers and Enroth and only loses Hall, Yak and some picks, is anyone mad?

13. frjohnk says:

wheatnoil:
    Maybe Bear isn’t signed because he’s being dangled as the prospect in a 3 for 1. No sense in inking him and trading him in a matter of weeks. Kind of bad form.

Bears agent might be saying if Bear has another great development season and would re enter the draft, he could get picked in the second round.

In that case, he would get signed to second round money.

I don’t know if that’s true. Heck, he could sign a contract today, but a bit surprising he hasn’t inked a contract yet.

14. jonrmcleod says:

SPAM ALERT

If anyone’s interested…

Last night eight wannabe GMs participated in the first ever Oilers Rig Twitter Mock Draft:

Alex Thomas (@Alex_Thomas14)
    Joey Degner (@joeydegner)
    WheatNOil (@WheatNOil)
    Jason Adams (@AdamsOnOilers)
    Jon McLeod (@jonrmcleod)
    Supernova (@SuperNovs1)
    Rexlibris (@CodexRex)
    Kris Hansen (@OilerKris)

Here’s a recap of the mock draft:

15. npanciroli says:

Hall Awaits:

Hall, Yak + some picks -> Lindholm, Lucic, Pirri, Demers I am all over. I still think the handedness is an issue since Lindholm is a LHD.

That gives you:

Lindholm Sekera
    Klefbom Demers
    Davidson

16. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Time for my bi-weekly goalie post.

I don’t see Enroth or Reimer choosing to come to a team that just signed a guy for 4 years. There are teams in the market that will give them a better shot at a real starting job.

Enroth made it quite clear that he was frustrated playing behind Quick and feels he has earned his shot. I’m positive Reimer feels the same way.

Al Montoya is in the range of possible solutions.

17. Amadeus says:

Does anyone know the difference between Provorov and Sergachev?
    Would it be worth it to trade down to #7 plus Connor Murphy, then trade #7 for Provorov?
    He’s one year ahead of Sergachev, so may fit our timeline better.

18. bendelson says:

While I admit to not watching the Stanley Cup finals in their totality, I will say that Jultz had me yelling at my TV last night late in the 3rd – running around in his own zone, accomplishing next to nothing. It brought back such horrible memories… Bah! My wife overheard me and called it: “Schultz not playing well?”.

Do I like the Pens? Meh.

For me this series is about two things: being right (or is it about WG being wrong?) and of course, that west coast seafood.

Go Pens! The sweet taste of victory!

19. stephen sheps says:

LT, I know your list of offseason targets is a mixture of ideal types as well as ideal players, but I am curious why Chad Johnson doesn’t show up in the mix for the backup goalie?

I like Enroth plenty and think he would also be a great fit, but (and of course this is pure speculation) based on what happened to him in Toronto, I think Reimer still sees himself as a #1 or at least a 1A rather than a 25-30 game backup, and would not at all be surprised to see the Flames go after him as a platoon starter/1A type.

If this topic has been covered in previous threads, please kindly disregard my inquiry. Between working on my conference paper and all the noise about Reinhart over the last week or so, I haven’t spent as much time reading the threads….

I don’t know how you come up with so much to write about and produce so much content in a single day. I love writing about hockey, yet trying to frame this hockey project I’m working on for an academic audience is much more difficult than my previous non-hockey related research. Sure the audience is a bit different here, but there are loads of smart people who contribute here and you manage to churn out 2-4 posts a day like it’s nothing.

20. DRFNsuperstar says:

LT, being a Boston fan can you think of a time Chia let a good prospect like Bear go unsigned? I’d say Bear wants bonus money and Chia is still rattled about having to deal with the Mcdavid, Drai, Slepy, Reinhart, Nurse bonus gong show this year …I can’t believe how many ELCs with bonuses got into games this year.

Has there been a report on what Vatanen or Lindholm are asking for? I don’t understand why Vatanen can get so much in a trade. No draft pedigree, small, plays third pairing minutes with a good partner against easy comp. these are all things that should limit his trade value in the NHL, especially on a budget team.

Pouliot straight up should be enough, maybe a pick thrown in. But I’d rather see Yak go to New Jersey for Severson instead. Or Eberle to Colorado for Barrie. After any of those things happen Chia needs to grab Ryan Strome, buy low like the Maroon deal and get Mcdavid a right handed childhood friend to play on his wing. I just can’t see Chia going into next season with a roster remotely close to what embarrassed him last year.

21. DRFNsuperstar says:

Amadeus:
    Does anyone know the difference between Provorov and Sergachev?
    He’s one year ahead of Sergachev, so may fit our timeline better.

Well they have different DNA and last names to start.

Also, why would philly do that? He is their favourite prospect and their timeline is way ahead of the Oilers.

22. bcoil says:

You must get over this Fetish with us acquiring Lucic we cant afford to spend $6M a year for depreciating asset when we have so many contracts of the young ones coming up in a few years.As to Bear who is his agent? Not Welsh I hope.

23. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

The Oilers have Pouliot, Hall, Maroon, Hendricks, Korpikoski at LW with talk of signing LW Lucic. Put me down for a cup of coffee for Caggiula if he’s lucky.

24. DRFNsuperstar says:

Marc:

25. kinger_OIL says:

– Great post LT. Don’t get too excited about Drake Caggiula, at least not to the extent of pencilling him in for 40 games coming out of college.

– I don’t distinguish between the “promise” of Drake vs Andrew Miller a few years ago: both come from elite hockey programs, weren’t drafted, under 5’10, older, less than 185 pounds, strong “intangibles” and “leadership”. Miller is a R, had a better scoring pedigree.

– Drake’s a depth pick-up that might work hard to get a cup of coffee in the NHL: that’s his RE

– I agree with you LT: they will try and give him a chance, but between Sheppy, Jar Jar, Yak, there’s not a lot of spots available for his type IMO.

26. Hall Awaits says:

npanciroli,

I would move Klefbom or Nurse for another righty if you can land Lindholm. That’s why Hamonic would’ve been an absolute perfect fit.

Lindholm / Hamonic
    Sekera / Demers
    Nurse / Davidson

27. dustrock says:

DRFNsuperstar:

I think this is it exactly. Bear’s D+1 was far, far better than expected, and maybe he’s looking at a re-entry, or at least holding out for more money.

And on Lindholm, he’s one of the few guys I’d trade Hall for (reluctantly). Having he and Klefbom as our top 2 LHD would be great – then do you trade Sekera or Klefbom for other help?

28. Ducey says:

kinger_OIL:
    – Great post LT.Don’t get too excited about Drake Caggiula, at least not to the extent of pencilling himin for 40 games coming out of college.

– I don’t distinguish between the “promise” of Drake vs Andrew Miller a few years ago: both come from elite hockey programs, weren’t drafted, under 5’10, older,less than 185 pounds, strong “intangibles” and “leadership”.Miller is a R, had a better scoring pedigree.

Miller had PIM’s of 12, 18, 8, and 15 each of his 4 college seasons. The Drake was 31,52, 30 and 60.

The verbal is that the Drake can play the pest and likes to play physical when the opportunity presents itself. He may be able to play lower down the lineup. Miller is top 6 or bust.

29. Professor Q says:

Do you suggest they are seeing bull on Bear?

30. Tire Fire says:

bcoil: You must get over this Fetish with us acquiring Lucic we cant afford to spend $6M a year…

Yeah LT. I’m tired of you screaming from the mountaintops about how Chiarelli doesn’t want Lucic, while you know better.

31. Professor Q says:

dustrock: I think this is it exactly.Bear’s D+1 was far, far better than expected, and maybe he’s looking at a re-entry, or at least holding out for more money.

And on Lindholm, he’s one of the few guys I’d trade Hall for (reluctantly).Having he and Klefbom as our top 2 LHD would be great – then do you trade Sekera or Klefbom for other help?

If Sekera waives his clauses…maybe. if Klefbom can stay healthy, that is.

32. Marc says:

DRFNsuperstar: It shouldn’t affect Oiler’s cap at all…all the bonus guys will be on their second contracts. If they have enough ELCs or 35+ players for Bear’s bonus to impact the cap we have way bigger problems than the cap.

Tkachuk (or Dubois) and Bear would both likely start their ELC in 17/18, when McDavid is on the last year of his, so that would be three again, with an additional big money contract (Drai) on the books.

The next two years there would be only two, but with McDavid’s big, big money on the books, cap space will probably be tight.

33. Jon K says:

LT,

Lucic seems to be a guy that the Oilogosphere is split on. His underlying stats aren’t trending terribly like they were the season after he signed his $6 million contact.

What would your opinion be, overall, if the Oilers signed him for 6 years at $7 million? Perhaps with Benoit Pouliot then being moved out in a separate transaction.

Seems pricey, though his production is pretty consistently in “1st line” LW territory, as he’s consistently ranked between 13th and 29th overall in LW scoring the last 5 years.

It’s his birthday today as well, apparently.

34. Caramel Batman says:

Ducey: I think the difference between Miller and Caggiula is that the Drake is less hummingbird and more hornet.

First, and most importantly, there is no such thing as a top six forward. There is no position as such. There is no job description which corresponds to the game of hockey. If a team makes decisions with this misbegotten idea in mind they are run by incompetents.

Second, Pittsburg has put together a dominant team by a combination of star players and meaningful contributions from Conor Sheary and Bryan Rust, who are both small wingers who did not score as well as Miller and Arcobello in either college or the AHL.

Guys like Arcobello and MIller are good enough to play in the NHL (Arcobello especially). That they do not have jobs speaks to the vacuum of intelligence of the people that run NHL teams.

Which goes to another point. Expansion is not going to dilute the talent level of the NHL at all. First, the NHL isn’t very good at identifying NHL level talent. Second, talent is learned, the opportunity to play in the NHL is where players learn to play at an NHL level. In this regard, slow expansion increases the pool of the NHL level players by increasing the number of opportunities to learn to play in the NHL.

35. PeOiler says:

Don’t mind me, I’ll be over in the corner waving, shaking and shimmy-ing these *official* Josh Currie pom-poms.

/Waves
    /Shimmies
    /Shakes

Gooooooo Currie!

36. Ducey says:

Caramel Batman: First, and most importantly, there is no such thing as a top six forward.There is no position as such.There is no job description which corresponds to the game of hockey.If a team makes decisions with this misbegotten idea in mind they are run by incompetents.

Guys like Arcobello and MIller are good enough to play in the NHL (Arcobello especially).That they do not have jobs speaks to the vacuum of intelligence of the people that run NHL teams.

Which goes to another point.Expansion is not going to dilute the talent level of the NHL at all.First, the NHL isn’t very good at identifying NHL level talent.Second, talent is learned, the opportunity to play in the NHL is where players learn to play at an NHL level.In this regard, slow expansion increases the pool of the NHL level players by increasing the number of opportunities to learn to play in the NHL.

37. Chachi says:

kinger_OIL:

Drake Caggiula standing up Sean Kuraly who is listed at 6’2″ and 200 pounds.

Andrew Miller and Drake Caggiula are very different hockey players. Caggiula is still a long shot, but he is applying for a different job than Miller was.

Also, what Ducey said.

38. stush18 says:

I kind of agree. Players like Miller, arcobello or omark can definitely play in the NHL. You actually can’t succeed without them.

It’s why is be fine with trading hall for lindholm. Run the money on defense, keep the centres, and find cheap wingers like caggiulia who step in.

Chicago has been finding cheap players for years.

39. till_horcoff_is_coach says:

Lucic should make pouliot expendable, so trading him for vats makes sense with that in mind.

40. JimmyV1965 says:

SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo!:

If I was a GM I would be all over Yak. He will be traded for pennies on the dollar. If I’m Chia I’m not trading Yak unless I get a reclamation project of similar value, someone like Strome or nichushkin. Otherwise Yak can come back and try to work it out. I would honestly let him go the KHL if my choice was a second rounder.

41. JimmyV1965 says:

Lowetide: I think Lindholm will cost you Hall. The more I look at Lindholm, the more I think he will cost you Hall.

100% correct, but I’m not trading Hall unless it’s a package for Subban, even then I’m reluctant. Someone on your show said it best, if we trade Hall we lose the ability to create two lines anchored by top 10 dynamic players.

42. JimmyV1965 says:

wheatnoil:

I think we’re reading too much into this. Bear is making a bet on himself. If he has another season like he did this year he will demand a 1st round ELC deal and the Oilers will be happy to comply.

43. Aitch says:

Personally, I’m hoping that Chia drives up Lucic’s price for another team, rather than signing him to the Oilers. Surely some GMs treat free agency like an episode of Storage Wars.

44. wheatnoil says:

Honestly, I’m not sure we need to ring the alarm bells about Bear at this point.

Caleb Jones got $705K + $145K in max bonus money (from Cap Friendly). I’m betting they offered Bear the same once his season was done given how close they were selected at the draft. Given Bear’s playoff run, he may be pushing for a slightly higher base (I’d guess that over bonus money, since he’s unlikely to realize bonus money but would get the base if he plays any NHL games). It doesn’t make sense for Chiarelli to panic and sign him at whatever cost. There may be an ongoing negotiation and it probably doesn’t take precedence over everything else Chiarelli is doing at the moment, so the negotiation is ongoing in the background.

It’s not like Bear is going to get the rookie max or probably any schedule B bonuses from anyone, even if he re-enters the draft. His path to the NHL (and therefore actually getting NHL money during his ELC) has probably the least hurdles with the Oilers, so it’s not like he’s getting blocked. Just because Tambellini traded Rieder over (rumoured) $100K, doesn’t mean Chiarelli will.

We know nothing and so assume the worst. Let’s give it some time. Until the ink is dry, we don’t know for sure, but I also don’t think we have reason to worry… yet.

45. DRFNsuperstar says:

Marc: We had problems with bonuses this year, even though the Oilers weren’t a cap team, because there were three guys with max bonuses.

You orginally said Mcdavid’s post ELC era. It wouldn’t be the same as this year because this year they used almost of the bonus overage so their actual cap was affected. The only year t may be a problem would be 17/18 with Nurse, Bear, Tkachuk, Mcdavid. But I really doubt Bear is going to Reinhart level bonuses

46. rickithebear says:

Lowetide: If the Ducks trade Lindholm, they replace him with Shea Theodore, a much less expensive option. Hall would replace (say) David Perron, and of course Lindholm will be getting $5M or so—meaning the difference will be about 1M.

LT?
    Replace Lindholm?
    Net protection D last 2 combined seasons.
    1. Bortuzzo bottom 3rd 8.13
    2. S. Weber mid 1st comp 8.33
    3. Kampfer upr 3rd comp 8.34
    4. M. Greene bot 3rd comp 8.34
    5. Stoner Bot 3rd comp 8.61
    6. Josi upr 1st comp 8.64
    7. Ekholm bot 1st comp 8.67
    8. Manson upr 1st comp 8.75
    9. Lindholm mid 1st comp 8.78; 0.87 EVp/60
    10. Ekblad bottom 2nd comp 8.86

Vatanen mid 3rd comp 9.43; 0.96 EVp/60
    Theodore bottom 3rd comp 10.47; 0.86 EVp/60

Lindholm is not who he can replace!

47. Caramel Batman says:

Ducey: Its funny how everything comes down to how smart you are, and how stupid everyone else is.

Well, it is the NHL. The pool here isn’t very deep.

48. jonrmcleod says:

wheatnoil,

I asked Jason Gregor about it and he says Bear will get signed.

49. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

stush18,

Except Chicago hasn’t traded Patrick Kane to get a defender to play with those wingers

50. Kepler62 says:

Vatanen is a 3rd pairing Dman at this point – Pouliot + Yak would be an overpay. Retaining salary as well would be highway robbery by Anaheim.

51. Water Fire says:

It will be, but not unmanageable because there won’t be any unproductive ( D Brown) or excessive contracts (Subban, Toews etc) unless they really blow it. McDavid deserves to be paid. To me only he, Crosby and Ovechkin are in that class.

The others don’t cover that much cap IMO and their teams suffer. We’ll see if the Hawks overcome what Kane and Toews make, with Keith and Seabrook in decline at over 12M, and Crawford at 6.

All teams have to go down to about 8 well paid skaters (if nobody is on a huge contract) and a goalie (coincidence that this is one choice for the protected list?)

It would make sense given how static trades are now that Chia starts whatever plan he has to make sure he can maximize value. The Oilers have 8-9 forwards on the roster who could become expensive in the next couple of years as McD hits his second contract.

I’m not saying they all will, but they potentially could. If for example Kassian starts producing consistently he’ll need a raise with term. If Maroon keeps getting McD he’ll keep scoring and won’t be signed for 1.5M.

Some players will have to go because of the cap. I wouldn’t be surprised if it starts soon.

52. kinger_OIL says:

Chachi,

– I think we have him circled between the comments: depth, long-shot, complementary piece

– If he’s in starting line-up next year for game 1, that’s a reflection on the roster, not him….

53. Caramel Batman says:

Kepler62:

If Vatanen is a third pairing D then the term has no meaning.

Gryba is a third pairing D.

Schutlz is a third pairing D.

Vatanen has nothing in common with those players.

54. npanciroli says:

Got a bit bored and went crazy with a possible roster based on some rumours and ideal scenarios. I know this many signings and trades are unrealistic but whatever.

Reinhart + 4th for Barrie (6 mil) + 10th
    Yakupov or Pouliot + pick for Vatanen (5 mil) (Yakupov for Petrovic if only Pouliot)
    Lucic at 6×6

Davidson Nurse/Petrovic

Talbot
    Johnson

Thoughts?

55. russ99 says:

That’s a bit extreme.

How many sorties do you give a player like Arcobello or Miller before you realize his limitations at the NHL level.

I don’t discount the value of that type of player, but you have to grade the Oiler versions on a curve considering how tainted our scouting/player development/NHL utilization systems have been over the last decade.

Pittsburgh, Detroit and Chicago excel at developing these types of players and putting them to best use on an NHL roster. Conversely the Oilers under Tambellini/MacTavish were akin to some fans, grouping players into All-Star and Bum bins, with no adjustment of expectations based on reality.

Also, expansion will dilute talent, but not enough to make a noticable difference, other than a few specific positions/player types. The most obvious player pool that will be diluted will be goaltending, especially if they expand by two teams.

56. kinger_OIL says:

npanciroli,

– I like it, but still think at least on of the Steve Austins is gone…

– Also, if a trade that involves a young D is between Nurse or Griff, I say based on who is now in charge, Nurse gets dealt (and he garners more)

* your roster is “play-offishy”….

57. Marc says:

Talbot
    Johnson

Thoughts?

Eberle Maroon Bozak Kassian Davidson Petrovic etc

or

Vatanen Kassian Davidson Petrovic etc

Not sure that’s great asset management.

58. npanciroli says:

Marc: It’s great for next season, but if expansion goes ahead as expected you will either be exposing:

Eberle Maroon Bozak Kassian Davidson Petrovic etc

or

Vatanen Kassian Davidson Petrovic etc

Not sure that’s great asset management.

Yeah, getting 2 really good RHD this offseason is probably unrealistic and overkill with expansion in mind. Barrie alone with Klefbom and Sekera Fayne (since it works) might be the way to go.

59. Chachi says:

kinger_OIL,

kinger_OIL:
    Chachi,

I agree to a certain extent, just think that the events that would need to occur before Andrew Miller gets into an NHL lineup (a whole bunch of offense-first players go down with injuries) and the events that need to occur before Drake Caggiula gets into an NHL lineup (key penalty killers get hobbled, “energy guys” not bringing it every night so insert the rookie to get an energy boost) are different.

60. stush18 says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    stush18,

Cuz they already had Keith in place. And this year they had no depth on defense and struggled out of the playoffs. They needed another anchor, because seabrook isn’t what he’s advertised as

Like how are we proposing to pay hall, nuge, eberle, drai, mcdavid, Dubois or tkatchuk plus yak and pouliot? We have all of our money tied up in elite forwards. I’m willing to move one to grab an elite dman.

At this point my list of untradeables are mcdavid. If any of the original three or any of the mcdavid cluster can get us a dman like lindholm, execute order 66 as they say.

61. RandomPoster says:

Ducey: Drake is less hummingbird and more hornet.

First of all, and most important, there is no such thing as a hornet player. There is no position as such.
    Secondly…well I only had the one very strong point.

62. Jethro Tull says:

Caramel Batman: First, and most importantly, there is no such thing as a top six forward. There is no position as such.

That’s why McDavid slotted in nicely on the 4th line last year.

As soon as some team puts their best 3 players on one line and then their next three best players on the next line, you have a top six. Playing them, you must pit your best players against them. Now you have a top six.

You must not seek some pseudo philosophical meaning in something so simple.

63. rickithebear says:

we are discussing trading all this Forward Talent:
    when we look at top 45 forward production you want 23G and 60P
    Look back at the last 3 years:
    players with 23g+ and 60P+ more than once in those 3 years.

DAL

Eberle 2yr @ 6M
    Pouliot 2yr @ 4M
    Yakupov RFA; 2yr to UFA
    Letestu 1yr @ 1.8M
    Maroon 1yr @ 1.5M
    Kassian RFA; 1yr to UFA

We are not long for many of the forwards at this point.
    #4 Pick this draft 2//3 yr ELC + 4yr to UFA

Defence control will be.
    Nurse 1yr ELC + 4yr to UFA
    ———————————– Exempt
    Klefbom 6yr @ 4.167M
    Sekera 4yr @ 5.5M
    Fayne 1yr @ 3.625M
    Davidson 1yr @ 1.425M; + 1yr to UFA

According to Daly Ference does not need to be protected?????

Goalie:
    Talbot 2yr @ 4.167M

we can chase 1 upper HSCA D for the top 4.

If we are only Protecting:
    Drai
    Hall
    RNH
    Ebs

I would prefer our #4 pick be PLD C/W for long term purposes!
    Cause we have 3 top 4 D with control
    Klefbom
    Sekera
    Davidson
    the HSCA D you brought in
    XXX????
    as your 4 D protected
    and
    Nurse with a pedigree of top minute HSCA protection in junior.

64. dustrock says:

One of the best things about being an Edmonton fan is that it’s impossible to read too much into anything.

65. rickithebear says:

So Sekera with a sub 8.00 HSCA/60 facing 2nd comp in EC/WC
    is forced to play 1stcomp this year and ends up with
    a bottom 40 HSCA .

Klefbom Barrie
    Sekera Vatanen
    Davidson Nurse/Petrovic

So you want to play Barrie a 3rd comp D with bottom 40 HSCA/60 with our 1st comp anchor so he can drag Klefbom into the depths of HSCA hell.

Subject Vatanen a top 20 HSCA D facing 3rd comp to a comp level he has not proven able to handle. In the big physical WC.

Then lose one of Klefbom; Davidson; Vatanen; Barrie depending on who you expose in the Expansion draft.

I would rather get 1 or 2 Veteran UFA D to higher 1 yr contracts.
    who have some history of preventing Goals.
    Who can be exposed to Expansion Draft.

66. stush18 says:

I think we are approaching lindholm the wrong way.

The reason Anaheim trades him is because of money. They have Shea Theodore who can replace him offensively (to an extent). Vatanen runs the powerplay. Fowler is signed to a good contract.

They won’t want hall when the whole point of being unable to sign him is because of money.

Meanwhile Anaheim has an aging getzlaf and and Kessler down the middle with nothing but rakell coming down the pipeline.

I think anaheims ask would be more like drai + yak for lindholm + pick. They acquire some lefties with potential and cheap control, and grab a centre who can grow in the easy parade behind getzlaf and kesler.

Would you move drai for lindholm? I would, but the oilers have been trying to acquire big hockey players in forever, so I dunno if chia will.

67. stevezie says:

stush18,

Considering we have two other more established centers and could use a rhC anyway we would be crazy not to. Insane.

But i don’t think that gets it done.

68. stevezie says:

Jethro Tull,

I think he means a player is either good enough to make a positive contribution or he isn’t. Whether that contribution is in the form of gritty play or pretty play is immaterial.

69. Ducey says:

Maybe I am missing something on Lindholm.

Why would ANA want to trade him? He is not eligible for arbitration this year, so ANA pretty much gets to dictate what his contract will be. That means he will be cheap. They likely do what they did with Vatanen – a 2 yr bridge at $1.2 a year.

Why wouldn’t they just keep him, try and make a run again, and worry about trading him next year (or two years from now)? They got him 6th overall. And he is only 22. I would expect they would try and keep him around as long as possible.

Vatanan on the other hand is eligible for arbitration and coming out of a bridge contract, so the reason for trade is a lot more understandable.

Anaheim and Lindholm are just waiting for the first RFA to sign or be offersheeted, for the market to be set. Anaheim will match any offer sheet for LIndholm. Lindholm should fetch an offer sheet of 5 x $5 million something…maybe even six.

They don’t want to match an offer sheet for Vatanen, and since they probably want real players instead of picks, they have to trade him before July 1.

71. stush18 says:

stevezie:
    stush18,

But i don’t think that gets it done.

You don’t think so?

Imo the only reason the would move lindholm would be money. They have no centreman coming up in the pipeline. He’s an established centre. Other than mcdavid and maybe Klef, those are the only prices i see getting the trade done, other than mcdavid, and assuming this isn’t a six players blockbuster.

72. stush18 says:

stevezie:
    stush18,

But i don’t think that gets it done.

My original trade was drai and yak for lindholm and a pick not sure where the RH c comes into play.

73. stevezie says:

stush18: Cuz they already had Keith in place. And this year they had no depth on defense and struggled out of the playoffs.

The Pens have even less depth on defense. The Preds have the best top 4 in hockey.

I think Chicago lost because of tired players and hockey being a game of bounces. The more i watch the less i see a “recipe” for success. Just throw positive contributors at the roster. Tinkering can help (perron for hagelin helped both teams and players- I’m not saying mix doesn’t matter at all), but when in doubt just get better anywhere. Do not sacrifice goodness for “mix”.

Caramel Batman: Well, it is the NHL.The pool here isn’t very deep.

like many here i was once a pretty serious fantasy league with about twenty other fellas. The key to success, it seemed to me, wasn’t outmaneovering the smart kids, it was exploiting the slow ones.

You’d think in the NHL you’d have thirty smart GMs, but there’s a lot of evidence this isn’t the case.

npanciroli,

For once getting two rhD is totally realistic. There are at least eight(!) available and the Oil are one of the only teams with cap space. Not buying guys out last year is looking like the smart move.

74. Магия 10 says:

Pens have 3 scoring lines again and about to win Stanley again. Pure coincidence.

Kessel could win the Conn Smythe playing with Average D. Oilers fans wanna trade Hall. Pure comedy.

75. stevezie says:

stush18,

I’m saying that it makes a certain amount of sense to move Drai as it would be nice if our top 3 Cs involved at least one rh. If they would take your deal it is a no-brainer for us.

Perhaps i am underestimating Drai’s trade value.

76. LMHF#1 says:

Spector gets a vote for the Conn Smythe apparently?

That’s just terrible. Not that I’d expect anything more from the NHL.

77. stevezie says:

Ducey,

I agree, i don’t see them trading him.

But maybe they do! The world is a kooky place!

78. Quinlan says:

Jethro Tull: That’s why McDavid slotted in nicely on the 4th line last year.

As soon as some team puts their best 3 players on one line and then their next three best players on the next line, you have a top six.Playing them, you must pit your best players against them.Now you have a top six.

You must not seek some pseudo philosophical meaning in something so simple.

That’s how I’ve always understood Caramel’s position.

Dwight King or Carl Hagelin – who do you choose? Carl Hagelin every time, because he’s better at hockey. Both are ‘3rd liners.’

Hummingbirds or hornets isn’t the question – good hockey player or not is. That has to guide your procurement and deployment decision making processes.

79. Skeeziks says:

I find it somewhat concerning that the majority of posters seem to take it for granted that the Oilers will sign Demers and that he will be part of the D corps solution.

Realistically the Oilers have a very slim chance of being able to sign Demerrs as a UFA. He is one, if not the, best UFA D men available this summer. Numerous other teams will have him in their sights and he will most likely sign with someone else. Chiarelli will then have to get very creative to solve our problems on the blue line.

He will probably have to trade assets to obtain a player of note and that will probably mean giving up someone that is a positive contributor to the Oilers. This summer presents significant challenges and risks for him and the Oilers. It is not a slam dunk by any means and it will be nerve wracking to say the least.

My hope is that we can escape this summer with our strength at centre in tact and that we are able to improve the blue line with minimal disruption to our key player core. That, coupled with reasonable health throughout the year, should see the Oilers finally start to move north.

I simply hope that any trades that are made focus on a player’s skating ability rather than solely on their stature. That is why D men like Segachev and Chychrun are potentially so valuable.

80. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Skeeziks,

I agree 100%.

I’m tired of watching this team fail. I can’t take it anymore. If they don’t fix the D this year I’m going to be very upset.

We need a top pairing D on this team to play 1RD before July 1. Free agency needs to be about adding a second guy.

A trade hurts but it’s a sure thing.
    Free agency is a lottery ticket.

Give me one of each please and thank you.

81. Frank the dog says:

I still say a Hall trade has to be predicated by Hall quietly asking out. Based on mascara, eye shadow, and body language.
    Seriosly though, I cannot see Chiarelli trading someone of such high value as Hall voluntarily. Even for Lindholm.

82. stevezie says:

Skeeziks: This summer presents significant challenges and risks for him and the Oilers.

Yes. Definitely. It’s a real crisitunity.

However, the causes for guarded optimism are:
    1. Almost every team in the league is in cap trouble, some (CBS for example) are in extreme cap trouble. We aren’t- we actually have space. We are in a unique position to absorb salary.
    2. While some of these guys won’t end up moving, here’s a quick list of rhD who are at least to some degree available: Shattenkirk, Vatanen, Barrie, S.Jones, Demers, Trouba, Hamonic, Wyshnieski, Someone on Carolina (Hanafin seems as likely as Faulk to this outsider), and Wiseman.
    Some of those guys suck, some are barely available, but the point is it’s a longer list that the one of teams going hard after a rhD (they need to be able to afford him, remember.) We really should be able to get two.

Throw Subban and Seabrooke on there if you want to get nuts. That’s in addition to the various unestablished guys who might just need an opportunity.

This summer could definitely screw everything up, but it seems just as likely we move forward. Finally, the thing we need is widely available.

83. Snowman says:

I’m not sure there’s really anyone I wouldn’t trade Lindholm for (Mcdavid excepted). There might need to minor add-ins here or there but honestly a legit # 1 who is young and under control. Damn rights.

You don’t find those everyday. You just don’t.

84. Ducey says:

Quinlan: Not to fight Mr. Batman’s battles for him, but I think the emphasis is more towards player procurement and deployment. You shouldn’t go out and fill your bottom 6 with worse players who play a certain physical style, and in so doing, pass on better players who are more skilled at hockey.

That’s how I’ve always understood Caramel’s position.

Hummingbirds put up nice boxcars based on PP time in the minors. Then when they are promoted they don’t get PP time. They have to bring something else to the table. I guy like Miller is not a good checker, isn’t physical on the forecheck, doesn’t go to the net, work the boards, etc. so he can’t stick in the NHL.

We understand this about Justin Schultz but for some reason when it comes to forwards some people just look at boxcars.

The Drake is a ways off but has a chance to bring some physical play to add to the forcecheck, and allow him to fulfill his defensive responsibilities. The Tik, Ken Linseman, Todd Marchant, even the magical Pisani all had this edge.

85. Caramel Batman says:

Ducey: The question was whether Drake is the same as Miller, not whether the Oilers should fill the bottom 6 with goons. Candy Superhero turned it into a rant about how stupid GM’s are.

The Drake is a ways off but has a chance to bring some physical play to add to the forcecheck, and allow him to fulfill his defensive responsibilities.The Tik, Ken Linseman, Todd Marchant, even the magical Pisani all had this edge.

Miller has 15 games of NHL experience. We don’t know what he does and doesn’t do. More importantly, all those things you just mentioned can be learned. On the other hand, we do know that he has talent in the most important areas of hockey, skating, stickhandling, making and taking a pass, reading the game, because it is impossible to put up points without doing those things.

And Sheary and Rust aren’t exactly “defensive” players, and they certainly aren’t big, and yet they are somehow making contributions, and these contributions don’t depend on their offense. Indeed, the whole dichotomy is absurd, the idea that there is a category of player that if they aren’t scoring aren’t doing anything. That’s ridiculous, taking a pass cleanly instead of fumbling is contributing to the team, it is preventing the other team from scoring.

86. stush18 says:

stevezie,

Oh I see. Yes I would like a RH c as well. I think perhaps you are undervaluing him a bit.

Mcdavid, hall, then drai in my opinion on who’s value is highest for the oilers in a trade.

If you trade hall you are asking for something back, likely salary.

Drai needs a small add in my opinion.

87. kinger_OIL says:

Ducey,

– I know The Tik, Ken Linseman, Todd Marchant, Pisani. I served with them. They were friends of mine. Ducey you are wrong: Drake is no Tik, Linsemen, todd Marhant or Pisani.

With apologies to Lloyd Bensten:

88. kinger_OIL says:

stevezie,

– Steve says: “Almost every team in the league is in cap trouble”

– I have never believed in the so-called “cap”. Has there ever been a penalty attached to any team that goes over it? I don’t believe for one second that the NHL monitors it (well they monitor it like MLB used to monitor steroid use).

– The only “cap” that matters is internal budget “cap”. The cheating and creative accounting that goes on, and the 0 violation of the cap is the system.

– Find teams that don’t want to spend: that’s the only “cap”

* the only other “cap” is collusion by owners not to over-spend

89. stevezie says:

kinger_OIL,

Remember when Calgary dressed a shorthanded roster?

90. stush18 says:

stevezie,

I think Pitt actually has more depth on defense. Chicago is actually quite bad. They really need to make a move for a dman.

I wouldn’t make a trade just for the right mix. But it comes back to addressing an area of need with an area of strength, especially when lucic is asking for only 6×6 and is willing to sign here.

91. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Davidson Nurse/Petrovic

Talbot
    Johnson

Thoughts?

Barrie < #4
    Reinhart <<< #10

I don't see Colorado biting on giving up #10.

Barrie + #40 for #4 should be incentive enough for Colorado. Yes, it's going to sting.

Personally, I would prefer:

Trade #4, #32, Reinhart, and Lander for #7, #20, Hanzal.
    Rationale: Arizona needs D and can draft Scottsdale-born Tkachuk. Oilers trade back to #7 and can draft Sergachev or Juolevi or Chychrun to replace Reinhart. For their trouble they pick up an injury-prone but excellent-when-healthy shutdown C with size and another pick in the first round.

Trade Pouliot + for Vatanen.

Sign Demers

Sign Lucic to replace Pouliot.

Run Draisaitl as full-time RW this year for his boardwork and saucer passes on the backhand.

Buy out or move Korpikoski for a late pick.

Lineup:
    Hall-Nuge-Drai
    Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
    Maroon-Hanzal-Yakupov
    Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian
    Pakarinen

Klefbom-Demers
    Sekera-Vatanen
    Davidson-Fayne
    Nurse

(with Sergachev in the fold + whomever you draft at #20)

Talbot
    Backup

The team has balance and you accomplish it without touching the core. You also have time to rehabilitate Yak's value this year, and who knows, winning some actual games might turn the tide here and make players want to stay.

92. Caramel Batman says:

kinger_OIL:
    stevezie,

– Steve says: “Almost every team in the league is in cap trouble”

– I have never believed in the so-called “cap”.Has there ever been a penalty attached to any team that goes over it?I don’t believe for one second that the NHL monitors it (well they monitor it like MLB used to monitor steroid use).

– The only “cap” that matters is internal budget “cap”.The cheating and creative accounting that goes on, and the 0 violation of the cap is the system.

– Find teams that don’t want to spend: that’s the only “cap”

* the only other “cap” is collusion by owners not to over-spend

This is one of the strangest posts I’ve read in a long time.

It’s like someone saying they don’t believe in the moon landing. .

93. npanciroli says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: I am clearly in the minority here, but I keep saying that this proposed #4 and Barrie for Reinhart and #10 isn’t going to get it done.

Barrie < #4
    Reinhart <<< #10

I don’t see Colorado biting on giving up #10.

Barrie + #40 for #4 should be incentive enough for Colorado. Yes, it’s going to sting.

Personally, I would prefer:

Trade #4, #32, Reinhart, and Landerfor #7, #20, Hanzal.

Trade Pouliot + for Vatanen.

Sign Demers

Sign Lucic to replace Pouliot.

Buy out or move Korpikoski for a late pick.

Lineup:
    Hall-Nuge-Drai
    Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
    Maroon-Hanzal-Yakupov
    Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian
    Pakarinen

Klefbom-Demers
    Sekera-Vatanen
    Davidson-Fayne
    Nurse

(with Sergachev in the fold + whomever you draft at #20)

Talbot
    Backup

The team has balance and you accomplish it without touching the core. You also have time to rehabilitate Yak’s value this year, and who knows, winning some actual games might turn the tide here and make players want to stay.

94. kinger_OIL says:

Caramel Batman,

– I’m just saying that you either believe that there are no cap violations because everyone is following the rules, and no fines have been imposed, or like the Olympics untill they they started testing, all Olympians were clean.

– My bias is that cheating, and non-observation and/or enforcement of the rules, prevail. Not a league full of wholesome altruistic teams that comply with the rules, for the good of the whole.

95. stevezie says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

I agree with you. The popular offer is a nice starting point because, hey, you never know, but the 4th for Barrie and the 40th is a more likely resting place.

I like your Hanzal trade too. I love Hanzal. The resistance to him seems crazy to me.

96. Ari says:

LT,

I’m a huge fan of Lindholm, but I was wondering what the source is that he may be on the move (and maybe to Edmonton?). I know you’ve been mentioning it over the past couple of days, but what is the source of this speculation?

97. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

npanciroli: A little less offence from the D on your team but I like the winger and center depth much more.

Yes, I just think Barrie is going to cost too much. His reputation as an offensive D is quite high at the moment. I like going after the less heralded Vatanen option. Think he costs much less and the Oilers did good business with Anaheim already with Maroon.

My approach is a hybrid between Ricki’s “defenders need to defend” with “we need more offense from the D.” I feel like with the forward group we COULD assemble if we don’t break up the core, all the D needs to be able to do is head-man the puck to the forwards and we are laughing.

Klef? Good passer
    Sekera? Good passer
    Demers? Fine passer
    Vatanen? Good passer
    Davidson? Fine passer
    Fayne? Not going to find 3 RHD better, as LT says.

I think this works, and the cost is reasonable.

Meanwhile by sending Hanzal against the toughs: Getzlaf/Perry, Toews, Seguin/Benn, Kopitar, etc., (and he has proved that when healthy he can absolutely handle that role) you free up McDavid AND Nuge to run amok against 2nd and 3rd tier comp. The team above I think could improve their GF by 30 goals next year.

98. Ducey says:

Caramel Batman: Miller has 15 games of NHL experience.We don’t know what he does and doesn’t do.More importantly, all those things you just mentioned can be learned.On the other hand, we do know that he has talent in the most important areas of hockey, skating, stickhandling, making and taking a pass, reading the game, because it is impossible to put up points without doing those things.

And Sheary and Rust aren’t exactly “defensive” players, and they certainly aren’t big, and yet they are somehow making contributions, and these contributions don’t depend on their offense.Indeed, the whole dichotomy is absurd, the idea that there is a category of player that if they aren’t scoring aren’t doing anything.That’s ridiculous, taking a pass cleanly instead of fumbling is contributing to the team, it is preventing the other team from scoring.

Your man Rust doesn’t fit your profile. He put 11 points in 41 games this year. He has 33 points in 63 AHL games. He had two ok years in college. And he is bigger than Miller – 5’11” 192 lbs. (Miller is 5’10” 181 lbs). You would not have looked at him twice because he doesn’t have fancy boxcars.

Sheary looks like Miller in terms of AHL production. He also has not done much in the regular season (10 pts in 41 games) We will see if he is even in the NHL in 2 years. He better keep playing with Crosby regularly.

99. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Ari:
    LT,

If I am not mistaken, there is no rumor or source. Vatanen has been linked. Lindholm is a function of Anaheim needing to sign him to a new contract and same goes for Vatanen.

Anaheim does everything they can to sign Lindholm because he is a 22-yr old #1D. They move Vatanen or Fowler to meet their internal cap requirements before they move Lindholm.

But since he isn’t signed, he can be discussed just like Seth Jones. Very unlikely targets, and in Lindholm’s case, no source to the speculation as far as I know. We are all just bored and mulling every possibility out there.

100. Ari says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Ok thanks NYC, I figured that. I agree, if I were ANA, Lindholm is the one I’d keep.

IMHO, any cap calculation that doesn’t assume McDavid earns all his bonuses is completely unrealistic.

Example…the one provided by npanciroli above. Not realistic.

It is also fairly dangerous to assume that Draisaitl won’t earn his bonuses. And it also is one contract short. The Oilers are NOT going to play with a 22 man roster.

So npanciroli need to cut about $4 million out of his roster (to assume McDavid’s and part of Draisaitl’s bonus have to be paid), and add $1 million for one more player.

Which means Lucic has to be dumped for a more affordable player.

I doubt that roster projects into the near term future in a way the fits under the cap. The roster cannot just be planned to fit under the cap this year.

102. frjohnk says:

Caramel Batman: This is one of the strangest posts I’ve read in a long time.

It’s like someone saying they don’t believe in the moon landing..

No way!

WE LANDED ON THE MOON!!!

Ari:
    LT,

Frank Seravalli had him on his top 20 list last week. Beyond that, we are speculating.

104. Professor Q says:

Karlsson apparently IS talking about practice – I’d be fine with him starting to actually practice (in Edmonton…). 😛

105. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

I like where you end up, but my problem with trading for Vatanen and signing Demers is that Vatanen without Demers isn’t close to enough.

So what if we can’t sign Demers? I don’t see a lot of other players that are available as free agents that I’m over the moon about.

So, in your scenario, what are your plan B and C if Demers isn’t available or costs too much?

106. JimmyV1965 says:

stevezie:
    NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

I like Hanzel as well but the last thing the Oil need is an injury prone player.

107. Quinlan says:

Ducey,

You assumed I meant boxcars when I wrote better players. Now, of course boxcars are pretty nice. Without scoring, you tend to lose.

But I do understand that part of the game is the prevention of the other team’s scoring (most effective when your players are the ones with the puck).

The players who are best at both of these things together (scoring+prevention) should be the ones you give a contract and playing time to.

And I don’t care how they do it.

108. pboy says:

Really good spot by Woodguy on Oiler’s Now with Stauffer. What ever happened to Dennis doing the Lowdown? I can’t remember the last time I heard him on there.

109. Snowman says:

RE: Lindholm and Vatanen

Bob Mac mentioned that Anaheim was going to have to make a decision on one of the two of Vatanen and Lindholm. He mentioned them equally if I recall correctly. Lindholm hasn’t been linked to Edmonton specifically but he has been mentioned as possibly available by a couple “insiders” on a few different occasions.

I would be quite surprised if he’s moved but I wouldn’t be absolutely blindsided by it. His name is out there enough I think the Ducks are at least considering options with him.

110. Tapdog says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:Meanwhile by sending Hanzal against the toughs: Getzlaf/Perry, Toews, Seguin/Benn, Kopitar, etc., (and he has proved that when healthy he can absolutely handle that role)you free up McDavid AND Nuge to run amok against 2nd and 3rd tier comp. The team above I think could improve their GF by 30 goals next year.

NYCOIL, what would you estimate Hanzal’s next contract request to be?

Hey , I like Hanzal a little less than you lol but I just do not see long term value in acquiring him.
    He has not played a full season since 09/10, excluding his 39 in 48 lockout season.
    That gives an average of 58.2 gms/season.

To be honest I do not want to even pay his 3.1 he makes now and you and I know he will be wanting a raise. So do we pay a 58 game player 4 million-ish a season to play 19 or so minutes a game to take on the toughs?
    So who’s ice time do we reduce while other teams force us the play their game.

Again, sorry but I am on the no side to acquire this guy.

bendelson:
    While I admit to not watching the Stanley Cup finals in their totality, I will say that Jultz had me yelling at my TV last night late in the 3rd – running around in his own zone, accomplishing next to nothing.It brought back such horrible memories…Bah!My wife overheard me and called it:“Schultz not playing well?”.

Do I like the Pens?Meh.

For me this series is about two things:being right (or is it about WG being wrong?) and of course, that west coast seafood.

Go Pens!The sweet taste of victory!

Fuck you Bendelson.

112. Visually better says:

Fuck you Mark Spector.

113. Visually better says:

that guy needs to give his head a shake, and then shake it more. Followed by a little more head shaking.

114. blainer says:

LOL… Well said..

Caramel Batman: If Vatanen is a third pairing D then the term has no meaning.

Gryba is a third pairing D.

Schutlz is a third pairing D.

Vatanen has nothing in common with those players.

Except he’s played 3rd pair with Stoner for the last 2 years and had meh results.

116. Rondo says:

Hockey Prospects has its final top 30 draft

117. fifthcartel says:

Joe Haggerty (pretty reliable) thinks that the Avalanche have considered moving Duchene for Trouba.

“Hockey sources indicated to CSN that Colorado is dangling Matt Duchene with the hopes of ultimately landing Trouba, and that either Taylor Hall or Ryan Nugent Hopkins will be dealt by Edmonton GM Peter Chiarelli to get their own coveted young D-man.”

I feel like there would have to be a significant add to Trouba in order to get Duchene, but this for sure makes me think that RNH for Barrie is all but waiting to happen.

118. blainer says:

That’s how I’ve always understood Caramel’s position.

Now IMO this is the correct way to debate a posters opinion. By somewhat disagreeing but also showing respect to your fellow poster with decent opinion of your own.

Well done sir !!

119. Snowman says:

fifthcartel:

Duchene is an Even strength beast.

Hall for Barrie is laughable. Nuge for Barrie would be bad.

120. Ducey says:

Rondo:
    Hockey Prospects has its finaltop 30 draft

Fabro at 11, McAvoy at 13 and Chychryn at 14. That’s a little different.

121. Quinlan says:

blainer,

Was trying to diffuse a little tension – not sure it worked 😉

I gotta say though, I’m glad tradition is being observed. Its a monthly must for someone to get angry at Caramel for philosophizing hockey.

122. Quinlan says:

Snowman: If the Avs trade Duchene for Trouba they are outside their minds. That would be a FLEEEEECING.

Duchene is an Even strength beast.

Hall for Barrie is laughable. Nuge for Barrie would be bad.

Quoted for truth.

123. Ducey says:

Visually better:
    Fuck you Mark Spector.

You lose a bet to him?

124. stevezie says:

JimmyV1965: I like Hanzel as well but the lastthing the Oil need is an injury prone player.

I maintain 60 games of Hanzal would dramatically change this team. He usually gets dinged up, but he’s not going to miss the season. As long as he’s not signed to term he’s well worth it.

125. fifthcartel says:

blainer,

I agree, there must be more coming from the Jets in this situation.

I feel like they’d want to replace Duchene with RNH in this situation. I like Barrie a lot, but still think that’s an overpay a bit.

126. Rondo says:

Ducey,

Hockey Prospects is one of the best at ranking players.

Surprises for me Chychrun Nylander Dubois, McLeod and Juolevi.

127. Snowman says:

God if the Avs trade Duchene they are hopeless.

7th best even strength producer since 12/13.

If I was Chia I’d be dangling #4 for Duchene and then dangle Drai for the best D someone would give me.

Imagine McDavid, Duchene, Nuge down the middle for the next 5 years.

128. blainer says:

Barrie < #4
    Reinhart <<< #10

I don’t see Colorado biting on giving up #10.

Personally, I would prefer:

Trade #4, #32, Reinhart, and Landerfor #7, #20, Hanzal.

Trade Pouliot + for Vatanen.

Sign Demers

Sign Lucic to replace Pouliot.

Buy out or move Korpikoski for a late pick.

Lineup:
    Hall-Nuge-Drai
    Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
    Maroon-Hanzal-Yakupov
    Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian
    Pakarinen

Klefbom-Demers
    Sekera-Vatanen
    Davidson-Fayne
    Nurse

(with Sergachev in the fold + whomever you draft at #20)

Talbot
    Backup

I like and said something similar myself. I was thinking trade #4 and #62 for #7 and #20 . Draft Sergachev and trade the 20 and a prospect for Shattenkirk.

If Shatts doesn’t sign trade him at the deadline to recoup the pic from this draft.

Your lineup is decent but very doubtful Yak will be back. Stauffer has said as much where he has requested a trade. I do believe the Yak ship has sailed.. but one never knows for sure ..he could pull a Drouin..

129. wheatnoil says:

Ducey: Fabro at 11, McAvoy at 13 and Chychryn at 14. That’s a little different.

The defence continue to be all over the place in the draft rankings. However, I haven’t seen anyone else drop Chychryn to 5th among D.

130. Jethro Tull says:

Little bit of a thread jack here peeps!

I often read the term ‘tire fire’ here a lot. Of course that should be ‘tyre fire’.

Now, I thought Giant Squid Overlord’s picture of Scar Jo in Oilers body paint was amaze-balls, but if next season doesn’t go well, how about getting Banksy to scrawl on the new building?

What would he even do?

131. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

So what if we can’t sign Demers?I don’t see a lot of other players that are available as free agents that I’m over the moon about.

You are right. Let me come back to you on those alternate plans.

132. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

blainer: I like and said something similar myself. I was thinking trade #4 and#62 for #7 and #20 . Draft Sergachev and trade the 20 and a prospect for Shattenkirk.

Yak is one of the smaller parts of this equation. If he is gone, then he is gone and you move Kassian up a line. It’s not a deal breaker.

133. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Tapdog: NYCOIL, what would you estimate Hanzal’snext contract request to be?

That gives an average of 58.2 gms/season.

So who’s ice time do we reduce while other teams force us the play their game.

Again, sorry but I am on the no side to acquire this guy.

60 games of a very good player is 60 games. Pouliot is often injured as well, remember. I was planning on giving him around Pouliot money + inflation. ~$4.5M a year. Oilers get the option to trade him at the deadline as well if he isn’t panning out or wants more money, but I think perhaps he would settle for long-term security and a bright future if the team turns north. So, 4 or 5 years at $4.5M per to be 3C on an up and coming team in a thriving hockey market and new arena.

134. Rondo says:

blainer,

It all depends on what Oilers think the gap is between Tkachuk/Dubois and Sergachev . If Oilers got the 20th pick you never know who will fall there and could be an excellent trade chip for a D-man.

135. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

fifthcartel:

I don’t agree that Haggerty is all that reliable, but the other night during the HNIC broadcast Friedman said the Avs were after Trouba. He fits Roy’s defensive thinking much better than Barrie. Winnipeg has no need for Barrie. Landeskog and Mackinnon are not on the move. The only logical piece left therefore was Duchene, where there has been some smoke out of Denver that they may consider moving him.

SOME people told me Winnipeg has no need for Duchene and did I get the rumour from Eklund 😉 ha!

McKenzie: “I believe Barrie will be moved.”
    Friedman: “Avs are after Trouba. Barrie will be traded, probably in a different deal.”

Me the other night, good gord, I hope that doesn’t mean Nuge for Barrie is the next step. I would hate that.

136. Water Fire says:

We know that a very large part of hockey is luck. To me the best teams play with firstly a lot of discipline , then tempo and speed.

Pittsburgh is looking so good despite a pretty suspect back end because the Sharks play into the Pen’s strenghs. If Chicago had come through healthyPitts would have had a lot more trouble with them than slow playing San Jose and their star D who can’t seem to pass or defend anymore.

Letang is 26 in scoring. Still, he and Lovejoy are shutting down the attack and moving the puck in a hurry. To Batmans point, Letang moves it expertly, Lovejoy makes mistakes and that is why one is first pair and one used in a lesser role.

Still Lovejoy can skate, keeps his position and can pass. Fayne and Gryba can’t do the three things and it hurts the Oilers.

This final shows what matters. Playing tight and being consistent when you have skill wins. Burns and his points mean nothing in the face of a determined defense. Top fancy players get shut down in the playoffs because they are keyed on and teams can make adjustments that don’t happen in regular play.

It’s why guys that aren’t good players become playoff heros. The young guys mentioned are doing well because they can shoot. They get their chances playing up the lineup . The Oilers have long suffered from a lack of quality shooters.

Thornton is a clear example of why players need to be a threat themselves to score – to create space. Simply putting a check on Pavelski has shut him and Thornton down – Big Joe doesn’t attack the net and isn’t a dangerous shooter and Little Joe can’t skate well to get open and forecheck as hard as they need and is getting knocked off the puck

Snowman:
    God if the Avs trade Duchene they are hopeless.

7th best even strength producer since 12/13.

Imagine McDavid, Duchene, Nuge down the middle for the next 5 years.

The Avalanche aren’t trading Duchene for #4. They are trading him for an all-tools right shot D coming off of his entry level contract, already a legit top 4D and with significant upside potential, and probably a legit NHL depth centre (of which the Jets have many).

The Av’s control Duchene for only three more years. They will probably be able to sign Trouba to a contract and get control for five to seven years. With Johnson and Trouba, they would have the right side of their defense locked down for the forseeable future.

Colorado has MacKinnon and Soderberg, which is a decent top two.

138. theDjdj says:

Skeeziks:

Who’s to say we won’t? We won the last few free agency signing races (Sekera, Drake). McDavid changed everything. We have experience front of house, coaching, a brand new shmick stadium and a team that just needs a few tweaks to be competitive.

We’re not the same team we were before the lottery last year.

Water Fire:

If Tampa were healthy and had not lost Bishop and Stamkos and Stralman not just coming off of an injury….

But Bishop has been injured at critical times three years in a row now…

140. theDjdj says:

I think it’s nuts that given what we knew we needed going into the offseason we’re talking about trading for a LHD and signing a big LHD UFA contract. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.