WHEATFIELD SOUL

When we talk about the Oilers filling all those holes (two RHD, a RHC, a backup G) it is looking increasingly likely the team will be forced into accomplishing a few of those things next year. Perhaps the best plan of attack? Solving one, not two of the main defensive issues. The key is to have fewer holes next summer, and from what I can tell acquiring two long-term defensive options will be close to impossible before September.

CHIARELLI’S NEEDS LIST

1. Top-pairing D to partner with Klefbom (Jason Demers, Justin Faulk)
  2. Second-pairing RHD to partner with Sekera (Tyson Barrie, Sami Vatanen)
  3. Acquire RHC with some skill (Small group available)
  4. Backup goalie (Jhonas Enroth, James Reimer)

The solutions this summer could be Jason Demers, Cody Franson, Andrew Shaw and Chad Johnson—with only Demers and Shaw representing long-term investments. That would mean going through the expansion draft next year, then addressing the issues—hopefully fewer than this summer—that remain for this team.

DEMERS AND FAULK

Yesterday on the Lowdown, Paul Almeida suggested signing Demers and acquiring another D—with the idea that Demers would be exposed in the expansion draft next season. I am not a fan it, but it is a very interesting idea worth discussing.

mcdavid capture cbj

CONNOR MCDAVID, STUDENT OF THE GAME

• McDavid on faceoffs: “Everyone cheats. If you’re not doing that, I think you’re just going to get beat clean. It’s obviously something that I haven’t figured out yet. Definitely looking to work on that.” Source

I love reading this stuff from young players.  Connor McDavid is going to be a great offensive player in this league—hell, he already is! That quote tells you he wants to be a complete player, the best player. Music!

Oilers could begin discussions with Milan Lucic on day two of the draft. I think it is a good bet the team will have procured Matt Tkachuk on June 24, and if things look promising for Milan Lucic, who among the LWs is heading out of town? Pouliot for Vatanen? Or something else? Nuge for Tyson Barrie seems to be the most likely scenario based on reading the tea leaves.

Craig Button’s list is always a blast, he is a lot like Red Line in that it is a completely independent look. I think people don’t get Button because they think he is trying to duplicate the Bob McKenzie list. No sir. This is a scout with miles of experience projecting players based on what his eyes tell him. Crazy value there, friend. Here is a quick look at some of the interesting similarities and differences between the Button list and my own (which is here):

• Button has Jake Bean No. 12, I have Bean No. 17
  • Button has Taylor Raddysh at No. 40, I have him No. 24
  • Button has Adam Mascherin No. 57, I have him No. 22
  • Button has Julien Gauthier No. 43, I have him No. 28
  • Button has Max Jones No. 42, I have him No. 29

demers capture

I BELIEVE

I get emails and dms and texts and such a lot these days, mostly about which asset is heading out. I always reply ‘too soon to know’ or ‘it depends’ because—in my opinion—Peter Chiarelli will have made a list and then found the ask on each player. He may now be slotting this list and then deciding the middle area—the sweet spot—where the return is substantial and the ask is acceptable. Let’s make a quick list, with an aggressive ask (these are not trade proposals):

1. RD P.K. Subban, Montreal Canadiens. Taylor Hall.
  2. LD Hampus Lindholm, Anaheim Ducks. Taylor Hall.
  3. Travis Hamonic, NY Islanders. Oscar Klefbom.
  4. Jason Demers, Dallas Stars. $5.5 million times five.
  5. Tyson Barrie, Colorado Avalanche. Nuge.
  6. Radko Gudas, Philadelphia Flyers. No. 4 overall (Edm also gets Sanheim).
  7. Justin Faulk, Carolina Hurricanes. Nuge.
  8. Sami Vatanen, Anaheim Ducks. Benoit Pouliot/Nail Yakupov (Edm gets a pick).
  9. Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg Jets. No. 4 overall.

Now, I am making up the asset return (and you may feel some are wildly unfair), but the idea is that somewhere in there Peter Chiarelli has a deal he likes more than the others. Which one would you choose? I remain on the Demers train, the least attractive deal is Trouba for No. 4 overall.

Folks, the forward group that includes McDavid, Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Leon and Pouliot should be kept intact—as much as possible. There are other ways to address the defense and the idea of acquiring a Tyson Barrie for RNH robs Peter to pay Paul. If they do it, and I do think it is somewhere between possible and probable, it is not using an area of strength to address need. Not at all.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A busy, fun show today on TSN1260 beginning at 10 back in the studio. Scheduled to appear:

• Darcy McLeod, Because Oilers. Hampus Lindholm, three scoring lines, what about ‘going rental’ on a couple of these positional needs?
  • Rex Libris, The Oilers Rig and Flames Nation. Oilers blue, the draft, plus some Flames questions.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. Is this the last night of the season?

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

121 Responses to "WHEATFIELD SOUL"

1. Rondo says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer
    Two right shot D I don’t see in the mix for the Oilers: Faulk-believe he is now no longer in play.
    Shattenkirk-likely to end up in east

Rondo:
    Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer
    Shattenkirk-likely to end up in east

Agree on both. I do not have Shattenkirk on my list, and Faulk has moved down steadily (No. 7).

3. Ducey says:

Rondo:
    Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer
    Shattenkirk-likely to end up in east

Good. Hopefully that means they don’t destroy the forward core as many on the interwebs would have them do.

In other news, the MLB draft starts tonight. Interested to see the direction of the new regime in TOR.

I love any draft, except the kind that comes under my door in February, or the one that sends you to Vietnam.

4. flyfish1168 says:

I believe the cost is to great to do everything this summer. I do believe Nurse can step up this coming year and we may be surprised how good this team is without any injuries. JMHO

5. dustrock says:

people like to look at Chychrun at 17 as being the big laugh on Button’s list, and he always has a couple of major outliers.

But you’ve pegged a bunch of his strange picks. Howden seems way too high, Mascherin way too low, etc.

We are now saying it doesn’t seem possible to acquire the 2 RHD we need in 1 year. Well, Chiarelli isn’t a patient man, and he knows a thing or two about winning.

We talked about Chiarelli losing trades to help the team overall, and I think that’s what we’re going to see.

I think people are going to be scared, furious, excited. I think the team will be much better this year.

Will these trades hurt the long-term success of this team to shore up weaknesses during the McDavid ELC? Yes, yes they will.

dustrock:

I think people are going to be scared, furious, excited.I think the team will be much better this year.

Will these trades hurt the long-term success of this team to shore up weaknesses during the McDavid ELC?Yes, yes they will.

this.

7. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Time once again for my bi-weekly statement that both Enroth and Reimer are extremely unlikely to take a contract backing up a guy who just signed a long term deal in Edmonton.

Both want a shot at a starting job and will have options. Enroth has clearly stated such in the media, expressing his displeasure being stuck in a backup role regardless of his level of play behind Quick.

Better opportunities abound.

We will go after the second level of backup. Chad Johnson, despite posting solid numbers, seems to be in that grouping for whatever reason. Al Montoya is another.

I will be flat out floored if Reimer or Enroth come here.

8. Ryder says:

I really like Lindholm and even more than Subban because he should be cheaper to acquire, cost about 3 mil less, and is still developing. I would probably trade Hall for him but it’d kill me. I also think that the whole point Lindholm may be available is to clear cap room. So what about this hypothetical scenario:

Trade 1: RNH to CLB for the 3rd + ~3 mil semi-useful player to make the net cap cost to CLB be roughly what a max rookie contract is. I think CLB likes this more than trading down and getting Brown or Dubois because Nuge will make an immediate impact vs about three years for one of the kids. I think CLB wants to get into the playoffs asap to start making some money.

Trade 2: 3rd to Anaheim for Lindholm.

Anaheim gets a young cost controlled winger who will provide an immediate impact while saving them cap space

So overall it’s basically Nuge for Lindholm which is a lot more palatable to me than Hall.

9. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Comparing Demers and Faulk is very interesting.

Demers played for the best offensive team in the league with a relatively weak defense. Billed as a more defensive defender.

Faulk played for the best defensive team in the league with a relatively weak offence. Billed as a more offensive defender.

I know we adjust for these things, but I’m not sure we are there yet with respect to nailing team/position effects on individual performance.

The stats suggest Demers is the better offensive player at evens. I’m not convinced that’s true, but I’ll accept the argument. That said I think he’s likely under-rated in that category, in fact I think both of these guys are.

We often forgive our forwards numbers on the basis of the weakness of the guys driving the puck in their direction. If we accept that to be true we should do the same for Justin Faulk. He is not passing the puck to a strong group.

10. JimmyV1965 says:

flyfish1168:

The funny thing is. The odds of Nurse developing are greatly diminished if we don’t fix the defence. In fact, the entire team suffers because of our defence. If we don’t trade RNH then maybe we trade Drai. We absolutely need to add least one top pairing dman. One thing I do know, it will be a lot easier replacing RNH or Drai than Hall.

11. Bruce McCurdy says:

I’m with LT on Craig Button. If regression to the mean is your go-to there are seemingly dozens of lists who shuffle (in a very limited way) the same handful of names around the same handful of spots. Button is a maverick who doesn’t mind sticking his neck out on a guy, ranking him way above or way below the conventional wisdom. It’s not like his entire list is like that, but a few guys here and there. It strikes me as being his independent take and that has value.

I also like his passion and enjoy him as a commentator, even as I occasionally find myself in violent disagreement with his take on a given issue.

12. JimmyV1965 says:

Ryder:

Trade 2: 3rd to Anaheim for Lindholm.

Me likey. The Jackets will be an interesting team for sure. Their cap situation and NMC are a tire fire.

13. flyfish1168 says:

JimmyV1965: The funny thing is. The odds of Nurse developing are greatly diminished if we don’t fix the defence.In fact, the entire team suffers because of our defence.If we don’t trade RNH then maybe we trade Drai.We absolutely need to add least one top pairing dman.One thing I do know, it will be a lot easier replacing RNH or Drai than Hall.

Interesting point you bring up. But I like to think positive that he will be told at the exit interview what to work on during the summer. Darnell is smart enough to follow through. Lots can develop after a long summer of training and watching videos.

14. Boondock says:

Do you think we’ll see some UFA contracts signed this summer built to dissuade the expansion team from picking that player in the expansion draft? The scenario might be that Demers asks for a NMC to exempt him from the expansion draft but a team counters with setting up his contract to make it less desirable for the expansion team ie. $10M bonus payable August 2017.

15. admiralmark says:

RD P.K. Subban, Montreal Canadiens. Taylor Hall. -Pull the Trigger
    LD Hampus Lindholm, Anaheim Ducks. Taylor Hall. – Pull the Trigger
    Travis Hamonic, NY Islanders. Oscar Klefbom. Pull the Trigger
    Jason Demers, Dallas Stars. $5.5 million times five. Pull the Trigger
    Tyson Barrie, Colorado Avalanche. Nuge. DO NOT DO THIS PLEASE!
    Radko Gudas, Philadelphia Flyers. No. 4 overall (Edm also gets Sanheim). NO THANK YOU
    Justin Faulk, Carolina Hurricanes. Nuge. PULL THE TRIGGER.. I would even add.
    Sami Vatanen, Anaheim Ducks. Benoit Pouliot/Nail Yakupov (Edm gets a pick). Pull the Trigger
    Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg Jets. No. 4 overall. Absolutely Do not like this idea.

16. Kepler62 says:

I don’t think he’s moving Nuge, Hall, or Eberle without finding replacements – if we can figure out that it leaves a gaping hole then I think Chiarelli with all his hockey knowledge knows it too.

If that means Lucic replaces Taylor Hall once he is traded for Faulk+, so be it – they’ll still have a top line LW and they’ll have there stud RHD.

Or if that means he gets David Backes if he moves Nuge for Barrie, so be it. Some of the core might be moved, but they won’t be missed if they are replaced.

Chiarelli is absolutely not moving Nuge for Barrie/Faulk and heading into the season with McD, Drai, Letestu, Lander as his centre depth. He’s smarter than that, give him some credit.

17. Loyal2theoil says:

To whom it may concern,

I’m probably the youngest one here, but today I’m graduating high school. I’ve also received news that I was accepted in to Digital Communications and Media at a local college, hoping to branch off to some to Sports Journalism or just broadcasting within a sports environment.

I started reading this blog about 4 years back, (so start of 2012 season) just lurking, but started commenting about a year ago.

Guess what I’m trying to say is thanks to Lowetide for just pumping out all these articles everyday and ultimately getting me interested in this career path.

To the posters, just seeing varying opinions has increased my knowledge and understanding of the game in all aspects. I’ve learned a lot over the years.

I’m also going to hit the PayPal donate button today as a sign of appreciation!

Thanks for reading my ramble :p

18. russ99 says:

Not a fan of stopping short from fixing huge imbalances in the roster this summer, both in the defensive corps and the lack of good 2-way forwards, plus a veteran backup goalie is a must to keep Talbot from burning out and to let Broissoit progress in Bakersfield.

At some point we need to make some tough trades to move the team forward. I don’t understand why we’d hold so fast to conserving large swaths of the 18 skaters from a bottom-5 NHL club.

All 10 years of the rebuild, there was a move we could have made in August to shore up a glaring weakness, and we didn’t. Time to stop that practice.

Besides, if the Islanders can fix their defense in one summer, why can’t we?

19. digger50 says:

Certainly a lot of Blogs lately on particular Defensive trade targets. But if Chia refuses to Trade key players such as Hall and Nuge, things get a whole lot easier.

Look at assets we do have and see what you can get.

Vatanen is achievable
    Demers is achievable
    Severson is achievable

They easily make the team better. Other trades by the time you subtract the value of Hall or Nuge you likely come up with a smaller net gain for the overall team.

Davidson, nurse, Rienhart – one may regress but two will get better. A Sergachev will arrive. Osterle may become a Vatanen.

It will be a better year just filling in spots with what is achievable. Obvious improvements. I think a better team than if the Oil start swapping out major parts and are back to “let’s see what we have”

20. KSC10032 says:

Question for LT, Woodguy, et, al:

Would you trade the #4 overall for Seth Jones, straight up?

Would CLB even consider this?

21. Ducey says:

russ99:

Besides, if the Islanders can fix their defense in one summer, why can’t we?

How many core players did they give up to do that?

22. Richard S.S. says:

Lowetide says, “Folks, the forward group that includes McDavid, Hall, Nuge, Eberle, Leon and Pouliot should be kept intact—as much as possible.”

I strongly disagree with some of this.

Peter Chiarelli solved two holes with long term answers/solutions last year. All he basically had to use was Draft Picks, Cash and Cap Space. Did he do enough? He thought he did.

This year Peter Chiarelli must solve at least two holes with long term answers/solutions. This year he has Draft Picks, Cash, Cap Space and quality tradable assets. Will he do enough? He must, the Oilers must be in the playoffs before McDavid’s ELC expires. I think he has at least 6 holes to fill. He’ll never have as good a Draft Pick offering as he has this year. Until he moves out $6.0 M – $12.0M, he’ll never have as much Cap Space as he has now. He has assets with good trade value now, they might not improve. If you don’t do as much as soon as possible, it might not happen. Right now Connor McDavid wants to be here. May that never change.

23. Vaclav says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:

Both want a shot at a starting job and will have options.Enroth has clearly stated such in the media, expressing his displeasure being stuck in a backup role regardless of his level of play behind Quick.

Better opportunities abound.

We will go after the second level of backup.Chad Johnson, despite posting solid numbers, seems to be in that grouping for whatever reason.Al Montoya is another.

I will be flat out floored if Reimer or Enroth come here.

A quick look at all 30 teams reveals very few who are in need of a starting goaltender. Calgary and Carolina come to mind but aside from them most teams have their #1 in place. Calgary is more likely to chase Andersen from the Ducks or Bishop from the Bolts via a trade (more proven options) than rolling the dice on Enroth or Reimer. From Anaheim and Tampa’s perspective, with the expansion draft looming, they might want to maximize their return on a goaltender through a trade.

While Talbot is signed for 3 more seasons Chiarelli could likely convince Enroth or Reimer that they could still be the starter if Talbot falters. More likely in Edmonton than with many other teams. So I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility to see one of those 2 signing in Edmonton once they’ve sized up the market (or if the market evaporates on them come late July).

24. dustrock says:

Loyal2theoil,

Congratulations!

Re Demers – I was reading the response when he was traded for Dillon and holy carp, Demers stats took a jump on Dallas. And he was playing with Vlasic before

25. Магия 10 says:

admiralmark:
    RD P.K. Subban, Montreal Canadiens. Taylor Hall. -Pull the Trigger
    LD Hampus Lindholm, Anaheim Ducks. Taylor Hall. – Pull the Trigger
    Travis Hamonic, NY Islanders. Oscar Klefbom. Pull the Trigger
    Jason Demers, Dallas Stars. $5.5 million times five. Pull the Trigger
    Tyson Barrie, Colorado Avalanche. Nuge. DO NOT DO THIS PLEASE!
    Justin Faulk, Carolina Hurricanes. Nuge. PULL THE TRIGGER.. I would even add.
    Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg Jets. No. 4 overall. Absolutely Do not like this idea.

Pull the Trigger
    Pull the Trigger
    Pull the Trigger
    Pull the Trigger
    Pull the Trigger
    Pull the Trigger

Thanks for playing Oilers roulette. Most players stop at 5. 😉

26. Магия 10 says:

Ducey: How many core players did they give up to do that?

That.

27. leadfarmer says:

I’m confused. We spent all this time talking about the handedness of defensemen and how much you lose by making a lefty play on the right, and now we are talking about trading Hall for a Left handed defenseman, Lindholm.

28. Bag of Pucks says:

“Don’t mention the name Fernando Pisani around Penguins forward Matt Cullen, or any of the other members of the 2006 Carolina Hurricanes. “Pisani” is practically a swear word to them.”

29. Melman says:

Banking on Demers as the primary solution is very risky business. He’ll have interest from a number of teams and if a trade for another D has not happened before July 1 and he doesn’t sign with Edm., then what? Bank on a Leddy shaking loose because of cap constraints?

They can’t go into next season with only marginal improvements to the D. Part A of the solution must involve someone other than Demers prior to Canada Day.

30. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Rondo:
    Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer
    Shattenkirk-likely to end up in east

31. Магия 10 says:

leadfarmer:
    I’m confused.We spent all this time talking about the handedness of defensemen and how much you lose by making a lefty play on the right, and now we are talking about trading Hall for a Left handed defenseman, Lindholm.

Confusion. It’s the zeitgeist this week.

32. jm363561 says:

To the best of my knowledge no one even discussed, let alone predicted, the Maroon, Kassian, Nilsson, Letestu, Gryba, Reinhart, or Korpikoski deals (maybe Kassian a couple of days out). There are going to be surprises is my one prediction.

(I have always had the feeling Snow and Chia have a done deal for Hamonic. Interesting to see it is being talked about again.)

33. speeds says:

leadfarmer:

What’s confusing about it?

Yes ideally EDM will also improve their RH D, but if an opportunity to improve the LD with a potential 10 year cornerstone D pops up, why not look at it? And then maybe move something else to address the RD. There’s no reason the Oilers can’t do more than one thing over the summer.

34. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Bruce McCurdy:

Last yaer he had Hanifin #12 or something, I believe. I am not as familiar with Chychrun as I was with Hanifin so I am not going to comment on the #17 ranking in too much depth, but sometimes the “incumbent” #1D gets over-analyzed to death over the course of a whole year and they drop.

I think that was true of Adam Larsson (was in the mix for #1 overall and fell to #4), it was true of Hanifin, Seth Jones (similar to Larsson), and even Ekblad had many of his flaws analyzed (people said he was too physically developed and so didn’t have much room to get bigger/stronger–now is that a nitpick or what! Let’s grab the guy who is out of shape because he has room to get fit–never mind the guy already with the work ethic and genes to get into elite shape) and there were murmurs he’d drop or Florida would trade down before they made the pick.

So it’s probably a combination of these things, plus Button’s independent thinking that has Chychrun in 17th.

35. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

speeds: What’s confusing about it?

Yes ideally EDM will also improve their RH D, but if an opportunity to improve the LD with a potential 10 year cornerstone D pops up, why not look at it?And then maybe move something else to address the RD.There’s no reason the Oilers can’t do more than one thing over the summer.

This. If Lindholm is really available–I still think Anaheim moves Vatanen and/or Fowler before Lindholm leaves so I don’t think he is at all, then the Oilers should be kicking the tires for sure. These players do not become available every day.

I still question the LIndholm thing. Seravalli listed him lower down because he thought he wasn’t likely (Vatanen is higher up the list and is an inferior player). Haggerty is a Boston guy–how does he have the source on an Anaheim player’s availability? Remember he has had Boston trade for Eberle for peanuts on many an occasion as well. He isn’t the most reliable source, in my opinion.

36. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

KSC10032:
    Question for LT, Woodguy, et, al:

Would you trade the #4 overall for Seth Jones, straight up?

Would CLB even consider this?

I absolutely would. I suggested this already and the consensus around here was that CBJ would not do it. They just paid a dear price to get him.

In fact, I said make it Reinhart +#4 for Jones +#34 and the consensus around here was that CBJ STILL wouldn’t do it.

To me that makes their trade:
    Johansen for Reinhart and Dubois (good deal for CBJ)
    And they still get Puljujarvi

For the Oilers that makes their trade:
    16th (2015) and 4th (2016) (two first round picks) for Seth Jones. The second rounders offset each other.

I like it for both teams, but the optics of trading for Jones then giving him up so soon are admittedly poor.

37. John Chambers says:

Ryder:

Trade 2: 3rd to Anaheim for Lindholm.

This is very interesting.

I could see something along the lines of Nuge to Clb for the 3rd and Hartnell w/ $1M retained. Columbus would much prefer a 23 yo Centre than a 19 yo RW.

Edm then trades the 3rd or 4th pick to Anh along with Pouliot and Reinhart for Lindholm. Anaheim gets a LW to play on their top 2 lines along with their preference of Tkachuk or Puljuravi.

Edm loses Nuge and Reinhart, downgrades from Pouliot to Hartnell, but secures Lindholm. The other shoe is then Klef to NYI for Hamonic.

38. Caramel Batman says:

dustrock:

You can’t improve the team by losing trades. If you lost the trade it means you gave up more talent than you received. If you gave up more talent than you received then your team is worse than it was before.

This is axiomatic. It is magical thinking to suggest otherwise. There is no secret recipe to hockey where you need this particular piece such that it is worth to overpay for it. Everything is linear.

If Chiarelli thinks otherwise he is a poor thinker.

Now the team may be better next year despite losing trades. However, if this is the case it will be in spite of the trades (a la Nordiques) not because of them.

39. prairieschooner says:

Has anyone evaluated the players Button has on his top 20 versus say Bob Mc ?
    I am not talking about this year but say for the past 10 drafts
    Are there any teams that are more likely to take a Button selection that is outside the consensus ?
    Stats guys this is your cat nip for today

40. who says:

jm363561:

I really like the Hamonic and Strome for Eberle and Davidson trade proposal, if Hamonic is actually still in play.
    Islanders get a scoring winger to play with Tavares and a cost controlled dman to replace Hamonic.
    Oilers get there top pairing righty dman on a good contract and a young righty center/winger. He won’t replace Eberle but can fill a hole on the right wing. Seems like a good bet.
    I know people don’t want to trade Davy with that contract but we are getting a good contract back and I think this might seal the deal for the Islanders. Plus left d is a position of strength. These are good, but not great players, that the Oilers would be sending away. Would also leave us some cap space I believe.
    My list of Oilers with the best trade value from most to least would be:
    1) MacDavid
    2)Klef, Hall, Nuge, Drai, Nurse, 4OV
    3)Eberle, Davidson, 32OV
    4)Poo, Maroon, Griff
    Did not include goalies or minor leaguers and did not include Sek because the NMC makes him untradeable. The rest of the players on the Oiles have little to no trade value or negative trade value in some cases. I think if we can get a bona fide top 4 righty dman without touching the top two tiers you make the deal.

41. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 4h4 hours ago

Dreger: Western Conference GM asked about Subban, “was flat-out told that he wasn’t going to be available.” #Habs

I love the idea of Eberle for Hamonic or as I suggested a couple times Eberle & Fayne for Hamonic & Strome. I am not on board with moving Davidson in that deal. Just do Eberle for Hamonic straight up if you have to.

42. russ99 says:

Caramel Batman: You can’t improve the team by losing trades.If you lost the trade it means you gave up more talent than you received.If you gave up more talent than you received then your team is worse than it was before.

This is axiomatic.It is magical thinking to suggest otherwise.There is no secret recipe to hockey where you need this particular piece such that it is worth to overpay for it.Everything is linear.

If Chiarelli thinks otherwise he is a poor thinker.

Now the team may be better next year despite losing trades.However, if this is the case it will be in spite of the trades (a la Nordiques) not because of them.

Losing trades is one thing, and winning trades with initial bad optics is another.

I think we’ll see some of #2, that really hurt and don’t look especially great when they happen but turn out to be good trades.

43. dustrock says:

If Chiarelli thinks otherwise he is a poor thinker.

I understand what you’re saying. We are going to have to overpay one way or the other by UFA or trades to address positions of weakness. So while in terms of a talent trade-off, we might lose an individual trade, the overall team quality will be improved.

Generally this isn’t a great position to be in, but this is the state of the Oilers defence from 2007-2016.

44. Pouzar says:

digger50:

Look at assets we do have and see what you can get.

Vatanen is achievable
    Demers is achievable
    Severson is achievable

Hire this man.

45. highgloveside says:

RD P.K. Subban, Montreal Canadiens. Taylor Hall. – I would do that

LD Hampus Lindholm, Anaheim Ducks. Taylor Hall. – Would have to be a package, put in Yak and get Rackell.

Travis Hamonic, NY Islanders. Oscar Klefbom. – I would do that all day long, I love Oscar but this balances out our core.

Jason Demers, Dallas Stars. $5.5 million times five. – too much $ but that is probably what it would take. Would rather add RHD that can QB the PP first adn ad Demers second. Demers won’t add to PP and the Oilers need that to get full benefit of their offense. a PP QB they could be top 5 in the league.

Tyson Barrie, Colorado Avalanche. Nuge. – This makes no sense, COL is flush with centers. If they plan on trading Duchene then possible. To me this has more of a Klefbom feel and I wouldn’t do that. Eberle i would do.

Radko Gudas, Philadelphia Flyers. No. 4 overall (Edm also gets Sanheim). – I love Gudas, wanted Oilers to get him at 2015 deadline. #4 is an awful lot to pay for him, Sanheim is great offensively but another LHD. I would think about Nurse, Gudas has just as much grit, if not more grit but on the right side.

Justin Faulk, Carolina Hurricanes. Nuge. – All day long!

Sami Vatanen, Anaheim Ducks. Benoit Pouliot/Nail Yakupov (Edm gets a pick).

Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg Jets. No. 4 overall. – I would do that, not sure WPG would but if Puljujarvi‎ dropped to 4th they would be all over it I bet.

46. PunjabiOil says:

Normally don’t get insider info, but have a source who is in the know (i.e. works for Oilers).

Said Tkachuk is the Oilers get at #4 OV. He’s ahead of Puljujarvi on some team’s list, and Columbus is 50/50 between JP and MT.

We wait.

47. OF17 says:

This offseason scares me. Trading Hall could blow up in our faces in a hurry. Same with trading Nuge or Eberle. Unless you get a Lindholm first, trading Klefbom strikes me as desperate. Worst part of it all is we are desperate. This whole rebuild depends on being in the playoff race in the last 2 weeks of the season, and we need big moves to do it, but how the hell are we going to win a Hall or Nuge trade?

Call me a chicken, and maybe I am, but I’d be much happier with a Demers/Severson/Shaw offseason than a Lindholm/Hamonic/etc one if it means guys like Hall and Klefbom are heading out of town. We’re trying to build a present here, so sacrifice some future in Nurse/4th if you want to go big but don’t trade two of your biggest present-day contributors. The whole idea has me worried.

Not exactly a revolutionary perspective, but I’m not enjoying how casually high-risk moves are being thrown around by posters and sources alike. The scary part is that after a rebuild intended to amass talent guaranteed to compete, high risk moves might be our only option.

48. JimmyV1965 says:

flyfish1168: Interesting point you bring up. But I like to think positive that he will be told at the exit interview what to work on during the summer. Darnellis smart enough to follow through.Lots can develop after a long summer of training and watching videos.

No offence, but isn’t this what we always do? Throw young guys into the fire with no veteran support and hope they figure it out. Just don’t think it’s a recipe for success. And by support, I mean good vets who bring something to the table. Not marginal guys who are second pairing st best.

49. theres oil in virginia says:

Good Job Rex!

50. JimmyV1965 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: I honestly, with respect to Gregor’s scout friend source, never believed Faulk was ever in play. It just never made sense.

The only way Faulk is in play is if the Csnes opt for a total rebuild. In my opinion they should because their forward depth is so putrid. If that was the case, it makes sense to make a move for our 4th and maybe even next year’s first rounder. The pieces they would move would be Faulk and Staal, which would ensure they get a lottery pick next year as well. But just because that’s what they should do doesn’t make it so.

51. My 2Percent says:

RE: LOYAL2THEOIL post at 9:42am

LT. This is my vote to have LOYAL2THEOIL on your radio show. Fits with so many of your stories, a little human interest while we go on about exchanging who we would like to fill the shirt of our chosen group.

This is, I believe, my 3rd post, been reading here daily since before Samwise was drafted. My other two posts were reviews of seeing Teemu Hartikainen seemingly melting into the ice in Abbotsford. I miss seeing the bubbling under group come through town and getting the chance to show my young daughter the end product of what daddy spends time on the computer reading about. H.O.P.E.’s time has passed, here’s hoping that the new group is just what the M.D. ordered.

52. Water Fire says:

I don’t see Chiarelli as short sighted. I see him thinking long term overall, but there are things to do always in the short term.

He isn’t going to weaken his team to suit a goal of maximizing an ELC for player that should have a 15 year run of dominance. Where is the sense in that?

The worry is he values the wrong things and loses talent as a result. It’s clear to me that quickness with tenacity has far more importance than size or a lack or quickness.

53. Pink Socks says:

If Lindholm really is being discussed, then I truly believe Bob Murray has no idea what he has. Even without resigning McGinn or Andersen, their internal cap requires Vatanen or Lindholm moved out without bringing in a big chunk of salary. I believe this makes a Hall or Eberle trade not viable. LT is it realistic if a Lindholm move includes something like Nurse/Yak/4th and then balancing picks from either side?

Ryder:

Trade 2: 3rd to Anaheim for Lindholm.

Anaheim isn’t surrendering Lindholm for draft picks, IMHO. It is unlikely they are surrendering him at all. They (and LIndholm) are waiting for the market value to reveal itself. They will match any offer sheet.

In the small chance that he is traded, they will want real player(s) for him.

Vatanen is the guy they want to trade, and they want to trade him before July 1, because they don’t want draft picks for him either.

55. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I for one could see Anaheim moving Lindholm. It’s all a question of return.

Anaheim has a pile of young quality D. Admittedly, Lindholm is the best but between him, Fowler, Vatanen, and Manson that’s a quality long term spot to be in.

Their elite forwards, not so much. Getzlaf and Perry are still good but winding down, and I think even they realize that Kessler deal was a mistake.

Adding Hall means giving them a legit piece up front for the next decade that can drive their offense the way Perry and Getz have for years. Their other young pieces up front are good, but they aren’t elite. And it’s not likely that they’ll be drafting in the top 3 anytime soon.

Lindholm is the only piece that nets them a Hall, maybe that has value to them.

56. John Chambers says:

godot10,

Anaheim might think they could plug Tkachuk alongside Getzlaf and Perry in short order with a salary that helps them through the Kesler contract.

I agree that it’s a stretch put a package of the pick + Pouliot and perhaps Reinhart or Davidson would fill a lot of holes on a budget.

57. mps91 says:

LT,

You have been talking about finding the next Pisani for years. With the way Tkachuk has shot up the boards lately, I think we should at least discuss the chance that the Oil can draft Puljujärvi. We know from Stauffer that Columbus has Tkachuk coming in for a visit, and that both Buffalo and Calgary are keen to trade up for a shot at Keith’s son.

Having a big, Hossa/Pisani cross in Puljujärvi rounding out the top 6 for the next few years would be a dream.

58. Quinlan says:

I really don’t think ANA values Lindholm like everyone here does. And if they do, I don’t think managers throughout the league value him like we do. Which is why I don’t think Hall is the play here.

Lindholm is a 30 pt/season, left shot d-man, who’s young, not very physical and gets to play with Getzlaf and Perry. The forward depth on the Ducks is insane, and has been for years. According to a lot of traditional standards, he’s not that impressive.

That’s why I don’t think the ask is Hall. I think the ask could be Nurse + Pouliot, or Davidson + Pouliot + 2nd rounder. Maybe even Klefbom, whose contract would be a great fit for them.

Lindholm’s been good but he hasn’t put up #1 D-man boxcars on a dominant offensive team. That impacts his perception and value around the league, IMO.

59. mps91 says:

RE Puljujärvi:

A truly dominant two-way force that consistently demonstrates elite hockey sense, proactive defensive awareness, and a full array of offensive tools. Comparable to Jamie Benn of the Dallas Stars, Puljujärvi owns a dangerously accurate shot, as well as exceptional playmaking ability that pairs up quite nicely with his superb vision and enthusiasm. Has the ability to absolutely dominate by using his size and speed to keep possession of the puck until he determines it to be the right time for the rubber to hit the back of the net. Everything that he does, he does well, to the fullest of his ability; there are no empty holes in this electrifying and hard-nosed forward’s game. – See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=152117#sthash.N2xvQJkA.dpuf

Lordy.

60. Jay Arrr says:

dustrock:

Lowetide: this.

I agree, but I also think this team should be willing to make some (reasonable) sacrifices in the long term in order to prioritize winning during he McDavid ELC. PC has to be thinking Stanley in the next two or three seasons. Playoffs this year, contend in 2017-18. If that is not on the agenda, then I have serious worries.

61. Shizuka says:

I am curious why Eberle seems to be exempt from all this trade talk, and why Stauffer floated the ‘less than 15% chance he gets moved’ bomb recently. I mean… of the top 6 guys, to me at least it would make the most logical sense to start with moving him first and foremost. While he scores the most, it’s reasonable to think that his production could be covered off by a combination of Hall, an uptick in production from Nuge and McDavid, and incoming players? It stuns me to think they would move Hall or Nuge before him. Why are they *still* so eager to throw their youngest 2 C to the wolves of the West? Unless they manage to bring in a Hanzal to handle those duties, it is insanity to not shelter them for at least one more year. I don’t know how the rest of you feel but I’ve not been enamoured with Chiarelli’s work thus far — it’s been a very uneven, spotty track record to this point.

I’m just hoping he doesn’t do something to cripple this team even further, ala a Seguin style trade.

62. Ryder says:

godot10: Anaheim isn’t surrendering Lindholm for draft picks, IMHO.It is unlikely they are surrendering him at all. They (and LIndholm) are waiting for the market value to reveal itself.They will match any offer sheet.

In the small chance that he is traded, they will want real player(s) for him.

I agree that I wouldn’t move him either, but in the scenario where Anaheim is listening to offers (where there’s smoke there’s usually fire) this is a trade that would be right up their alley.

Their needs are cap relief and wingers. A top three pick on his entry level contract usually represents pretty darn good value. Also, Puljujärvi isn’t “draft picks”, he is a player that is supposed to be playing in the top 6 next year and probably first line in a couple years.

63. wheatnoil says:

Shizuka:

You’re basing this on the idea that the Oilers would prefer to move Hall or Nugent-Hopkins. That’s certainly possible, but we don’t know that. I see three scenarios.

1) Most of what Bob is hearing is rumours about Hall and RNH and he’s hearing less about Eberle, hence he makes the statement it’s more likely Hall or RNH get moved and he’s not hearing as much about Eberle. In which case, Stauffer may very well be wrong. Remember, Stauffer said that he thought it was unlikely the Oilers acquire any significant free agents the day before they signed Sekera.

2) Maybe the Oilers look at “C” and see Drai and McDavid into the future. They look at LW and see Pouliot and a good chance at Lucic. Then they look at RW and see that Yak requested out and if you remove Eberle, you have almost nothing. By that logic, even if you don’t want to trade Hall or RNH, you at least have relative depth in those positions that you don’t have with Eberle at RW. (Note, I do not personally agree with this.)

3) If the Oilers have to give up one of Hall, RNH or Eberle, they would prefer to trade Eberle, but in negotiations, other teams are not willing to offer enough for Eberle to substantially upgrade the D. So the Oilers may not want to trade Hall or Nuge, but Eberle may not be enough.

(Personally I think the answer is number 1. There’s probably just more in the rumour mill surrounding Hall and Nuge and so that’s what Stauffer reports. Doesn’t mean that the Oilers are looking to push these guys out the door.)

64. Jay Arrr says:

If Chiarelli thinks otherwise he is a poor thinker.

I don’t think this is as black and white as “you can’t improve the team by losing trades.” What I get from Dustrock here is that Chiarelli is likely to give up some longer term assets to improve the team in the here and now, and will likely need to overpay a bit with said longer term assets. And I’m on board. Big time. Edmonton has about $6 million in cap savings on Connor McDavid right now. This short window is the best chance the Oilers have to turn the ship around, IMO. Within reason, of course.

65. Evilas says:

So, if the only moves accomplished this offseason are these:

1. Ference LTIR’d
    2. Korpse traded for a 6th round pick
    3. Lander traded for a 7th round pick
    4. Sign Demers for 5 x $5.5 million
    5. Sign 2 of Lovejoy, Redman, Trotman, Holzer, Nakladal or McBain for 3rd RHD + insurance
    6. Sign 1 of Pardy, Irwin, Bartkowski, Strait or Schlemko as the 4th LHD (unless Simpson shows like Davidson last year)
    7. Sign 1 of Chad Johnson for 2 x $1.5 million
    8. Sign 1 of Riley Nash, Viktor Tikhonov, Kyle Brodziak, Trevor Lewis, Jiri Tlusty, Ryan White, Mike Santorelli or Johnathan Marchessault to a value contract as a 3/4 C

Does this move the team forward?

IMO, it does, it certainly doesn’t move it backward, if healthy I think this team could be on the verge of the playoffs.

My concern with the current roster going into the season is that all 3 top C’s are playing in the World Cup, the top Dman is made of glass and the #2 Dman is also playing in the World Cup. Also back up G and Korpikoski is still on the roster….

66. Water Fire says:

Trading draft picks (outside of the elite seeming picks) and second tier players is not damaging for a good return. Draft picks have yet to pan out to full potential and second tier players aren’t rare.

First tier established players are where you lose.

67. stush18 says:

Pink Socks:
    If Lindholm really is being discussed, then I truly believe Bob Murray has no idea what he has. Even without resigning McGinn or Andersen, their internal cap requires Vatanen or Lindholm moved out without bringing in a big chunk of salary.I believe this makes a Hall or Eberle trade not viable. LT is it realistic if a Lindholm move includes something like Nurse/Yak/4th and then balancing picks from either side?

My proposal was drai plus yak for lindholm.

The whole reason they move lindholm is because he costs too much, and Theodore is ready to step in full time.

They were looking at yak at the deadline. And they have getzlaf and kesler getting old quickly up the middle. They likely wouldn’t want nurse if they have Theodore in front of him.

They both provide cheap scoring that is cost controlled, while we move out two asserts that need to be protected in expansion for just one.

68. ashley says:

I know you have framed the ask as aggressive, and while I wouldn’t like it, I could live with a lot of those trade proposals. Except for RNH for Barrie or Faulk. Man those would be godawful trades. Disgusting.

I would consider Drai for one of those men, but COL or CAR would have to add a little to make it work.

I would not trade RNH. He is in a class of his own. A rare commodity. That would be worse than letting less rare, but uncommon commodity Petry go.

KSC10032:
    Question for LT, Woodguy, et, al:

Would you trade the #4 overall for Seth Jones, straight up?

Would CLB even consider this?

a) in a heartbeat
    b): I highly doubt it

70. ashley says:

I find the trade proposals interesting, and I’m sure Chia has thought of every one of them, but one thing to keep in mind is that the dance partner has to be willing (30-40% chance?) and the dance partners have to find common ground (30% chance?) for an overall probability of the dreamed-up deal coming to fruition at about 10%.

So when someone proposes a two step trade involving two other teams flipping this and that and the other thing in every direction, the probability falls to about 1%. It makes for interesting reading, but has a very low probability of occurring.

I wonder if a guy like Chia reads some of this stuff and chuckles to himself thinking “Yeah, yeah, that would be great. But in my world, flipping this for that and then that for this is not so easy.”

71. DRFNsuperstar says:

So if the forward group is “playoff worthy” what if they just add Demers:

Klefbom-Demers
    Sekera-Fayne
    Davidson-Gryba
    Reinhart-Nurse

If they are in the hunt for a playoff spot come deadline day, trade for Burns with the 2017 1st.

My only question is, do you pay more for Vatanen this summer or Burns at the deadline?

72. sumaclab says:

Stamkos.7×9.

73. russ99 says:

DRFNsuperstar:
    So if the forward group is “playoff worthy” what if they just add Demers:

Klefbom-Demers
    Sekera-Fayne
    Davidson-Gryba
    Reinhart-Nurse

Any defense with Fayne and Gryba and forwards that don’t pick up and rotate, are slow to get back and fast to get forward are going to add a lot more shots at our goalies.

We run that and we’re a lottery team again.

74. kinger_OIL says:

Loyal2theoil,

– Hey L2O: that’s awesome.

– I know nothing about journalism or media from a training point, but you mentioned that you had been on this for 4 years. Same for me. To me LT’s gift is is ability to get an audience coming everyday by having well-written stuff, that isn’t strictly all about the Oil. We feel “invested” with LT: he shares about himself, and observes on life, and has assembled a great group of participants.

– Congrats again, and good luck!

leadfarmer:

Because Lindholm is looking like Hedman and Karlsson in terms of how much his team’s shot share spikes when he’s on the ice.

He’s a #1 Dman.

He’s 22 and coming of his ELC.

If you can get that, you do, and balance below him.

76. kinger_OIL says:

DRFNsuperstar:
    So if the forward group is “playoff worthy” what if they just add Demers:

Klefbom-Demers
    Sekera-Fayne
    Davidson-Gryba
    Reinhart-Nurse

– I’ve advocated something along that line as well: get one piece now, another at the deadline.

– But I’d also get another short-term LD now as well, so you just have more bona-fides (but I don’t want to reopen that can of worms). So 2 years of a Yandle or something + the one long-term RD

77. sumaclab says:

If your Chia Stamkos is the white whale. You ‘ve got enough cap space cleared. You trade BP and a pick to Ducks for Vatanen. Bring in Tkachuck to replace BP.
    Hall.LD and Ebs. CM,Tkachuck and Stamkos. Shaw with Maroon and JJK. ML with Hendy and Kassian.
    Trade Nuge for Barrie or Faulk/ Klefbom.Sekera wth Vatanen. Nurse and Fayne.Osterle

Talbot and Enroth.

Yak to Montreal for 45th pick.

78. admiralmark says:

ashley:
    I know you have framed the ask as aggressive, and while I wouldn’t like it, I could live with a lot of those trade proposals.Except for RNH for Barrie or Faulk.Man those would be godawful trades.Disgusting.

I would not trade RNH.He is in a class of his own.A rare commodity.That would be worse than letting less rare, but uncommon commodity Petry go.

I believe Faulk is in a class of his own as well. And fits a gaping need on the Oilers.

79. jbfuzz says:

Am I the only person that thinks Columbus might do something unexpected like draft PLB at #3 (need at C) and send the remainder of the top 10 into a state of disarray? It’s not like Jarmo Kekalainen is putting up a good batting average in his time as CLB GM. Not that PLB would be a bad pick, but I think that they aren’t big on conventional wisdom down there.

80. Marc says:

jbfuzz:

Nope. http://oilersnation.com/2016/6/7/what-if-puljujarvi-is-available-at-no-4

81. jbfuzz says:

Marc,

Naturally, I’m days behind the conversation. Thanks for the link!

82. Walter Sobchak says:

Not sure if this has been said or not.

Here’s the issue I have with the teams on your list LT. ( I like them all except Hall)

Col – Is a budget team, if they won’t give Barrie 5.5 why would they trade for 6? This also is counter to what McKenzie has said he’s heard which is Fayne & Yakupov for Barrie. ( I tend to think a different D-man there) to make matters worse you’d be losing years in contract.

ANH – Also a budget team in which another 6 million player is added only this time the Ducks would not only be potentially going over budget but again losing years with Hall for Lindholm

I’m willing to take the abuse but the logical play might be trading Draisaitl because of age, potential, dollars and years of service.

I also think the number 4 for Shattenkirk is very doable in a flip, say Shattenkirk for Hamonic or Shattenkirk for Faulk. ( thus would be dependant of a sign and trade)

83. wheatnoil says:

Marc: Nope. http://oilersnation.com/2016/6/7/what-if-puljujarvi-is-available-at-no-4

(For the record, I take Puljujarvi!)

84. wheatnoil says:

Walter Sobchak:

When did McKenzie say that? I missed it.

85. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Stauffer had Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch on his show this week.
    1) CLB is taking Puljujarvi or he would be very surprised.
    2) Kekalainen met JP and learned a lot about him as he doesn’t speak much English. The talk around them taking PLD is nonsense and only happens if they are trading down for a juicy offer.
    3) Seth Jones will not be getting a bridge deal.

86. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Walter Sobchak,

Budget isn’t the issue with Colorado and Barrie. it’s that they don’t think Barrie is worth what he is asking. They prefer more traditional D. Remember the Stuart deal? Roy is an old school guy. They prefer Trouba over Barrie.

87. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

wheatnoil: This is why if the #4 is still even remotely on the table for a trade, we won’t hear about any major Oilers trade (involving Hall, Nuge or Ebs) until the draft. If they’re open to trading the 4th to address the D, the offers may change if Columbus does something unconventional and now a team is looking to trade up and get Puljujarvi.

(For the record, I take Puljujarvi!)

88. wheatnoil says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Aaron Portzline says that is not happening. Puljujarvi will be taken at 3. Either by CBJ or by another team.

89. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

wheatnoil: Which makes the most sense. McKenzie commented today that Columbus was interested in Logan Brown and Keller. That would indicate an interest in trading down to around the 6 to 8 level… which would greatly impact the Oilers’ negotiating power and may be why the verbal about trading down has died down a bit, with more discussion about taking, specifically, Tkachuk.

Agreed. I think that Kekalainen has been taking calls on 3. Portzline said as much. Still thinks they will stand pat and take JP at 3 but if an offer knocks their socks off they will make a trade. But it doesn’t sound like they would surprise and take someone else at 3. Portzline seemed confident of that.

90. wheatnoil says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Agreed. I think that Kekalainen has been taking calls in 3. Portzline said as much. Still thinks they will stand pat and take JP at 3 but if an offer knocks their socks off they will make a trade. But it doesn’t sound like they would surprise and take someone else at 3. Portzline seemed confident of that.

The McKenzie thing I mentioned is quoted here…

McKenzie states that Columbus isn’t necessarily sold on Puljujarvi, but more in the “trade down to Keller or Brown” sense not in the “stand and take Dubois” sense. (Of course, all of this may be Columbus drumming up business to gauge the market, but usually with McKenzie there’s some substance.)

Edit: From that same article, Mckenzie says… “Although Edmonton, clearly Peter Chiarelli wants to make some changes to his hockey team. And it’s not in a vacuum, saying, ‘Hey, we want to trade 4th pick,’ it’s more along the lines of… we’ve heard a zillion trade rumors, most of them inflated or whatever, coming out of Edmonton involving everybody from Taylor Hall to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to Jordan Eberle and on and on and on it goes.

But if the 4th pick needs to be put into play in an effort to get a front-line defenseman, well, by all means I think the Edmonton Oilers will look at that. But it would really be contingent on that deal specifically says.”

Seems like it’s exactly as LT describes. We’re hearing all kinds of rumours because Chiarelli is assessing the market six ways to Sunday and he’ll take what he thinks is the best one (or combination of them).

91. Bag of Pucks says:

For all the consternation about the trades Chiarelli has to make, I think the number one thing he has to get right is the player he picks at #4.

Get that pick right and you’ve added an elite Top 3 F or Top 2 D on an ELC for the price of fan suffering alone.

Below is the #4-#6 picks since 2005. I threw this together cos I wanted to see how much potential there is to whiff on this pick or miss slightly and have the better player fall to #5 or #6. The good news is it rarely happens and has become rarer in recent years. The Brett Connolly, Luke Schenn, Thomas Hickey and Nikita Filatov picks are happening with less regularity. Ironic to see the talk focused on acquiring Lindholm atm too given Reinhart was taken two picks earlier. Ah the plight of the slow developing, stay at home defenceman.

That said, I’ve also included excellent players that fell out of that 4-6 cluster and it really speaks to the impact it can have on the club if Chia truly gets this right (i.e. Tarasenko vs. Niederreiter, Scheifele vs Strome, Kopitar vs Brule etc.). Interesting to note how often size concerns (Domi, Giroux, Tarasenko) lead to those players dropping. May be to something to keep in mind as we fixate/drool over big players like Dubois or Tkachuk. Are we missing a player with truly elite skill cos of a power forward fetish?

For all the talk of trades, if Chiarelli can figure out a way to hit a home run with this pick, the offseason looks a lot brighter.

2015

H. Lindholm

Forsberg (11)

2011
    Larsson
    Strome
    Zibanejad

Scheifele (7), Couturier (8), Hamilton (9)

2010

Giroux (22)

2005
    Pouliot
    Price
    Brule

Kopitar (11)

I think the offseason will play to form. I think Eberle and a sweetener goes at the draft for Hamonic. The Top #4 pick will be seen as the Eberle replacement cos Top 5 F picks get fast-tracked to the dance. Chia will sign a right shot UFA D and they’ll bring in another two way vet with grit and size for the 3L. I think the only way a Hall or Nuge goes is if a player like Subban or Stamkos becomes a possiblity and they’ve got to free up the big money. Of the core, Eberle would appear to be the least Chia like player going forward.

92. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

wheatnoil,

Fair, but I do encourage you to listen to the Portzline segment. it’s about 5 minutes. I trust him to know more about CBJ matters than even McKenzie. Not that in this case one story refutes the other. It does not.

93. digger50 says:

OF17:

Hey Chicken! Come sit over here and sit with me because I’m already roosting. I think we still need more players, more NHL talent filling big basic holes…before we start swapping players to get incrementally better.

But I do recognize I am operating as a fan as opposed to a GM . I only want to trade what I don’t want.

94. speeds says:

What’s it cost the Oilers to move up to 3OV? That would allow Columbus to move down again from 4 potentially. Puljujarvi fits pretty well in terms of needs, EDM has some additional picks and other various assets maybe they are ok with moving to get Puljujarvi?

95. jbfuzz says:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Brett Connolly as a low cost acquisition for RW out of Boston? Feel there is some untapped potential there and the salary is low. I’ve had thoughts of Reinhart for Connolly with the caveat of BOS forgiving the 2nd RD pick the Oilers owe them. Stauffer suggested the trade value of Reinhart is not strong (stated on OilersNow yesterday) so I’m curious to see other perspectives on this.

96. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I’ve heard a lot of people say something to the effect of

“if this team was healthy we’d be in the playoffs”

I think you people are insane.

We came in 29th.

We had a lot of injuries, but I’m thinking you must think “healthy” means 0 injuries. Which, if possible, might put us close.

The reality is we should probably budget for 1 top 6f, 1 bottom 6f, and 1 top4d on IR all year. That’s probably reasonable.

And then we pray to the gods Talbot stays healthy.

In that situation we’re still miles away from being a playoff team. Miles.

29th.

AGAIN.

97. Rondo says:

Rocky Thompson head coach of Windsor can be very persuasive . Sergachev sounds like a potential #1 D in the NHL.

Would be a great guest on your show LT.

98. 99266in87 says:

If Ducks need cap space and wingers…..Hall for Lindholm and (spits) Kesler. Straight up

99. speeds says:

99266in87:

Kesler is just about to start a 6 year, 6.875M contract. I would be stunned if the Oilers even look at a deal like that with Kesler involved.

100. Walter Sobchak says:

wheatnoil: When did McKenzie say that? I missed it.

He said it on Team 1260 I’m not sure which day but most likely can hear it there.

101. Professor Q says:

OF17:

It does seem strange, doesn’t it? How quickly even highly intelligent posters forget…alas, it is the curse of humanity to repeat mistakes.

102. admiralmark says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    I’ve heard a lot of people say something to the effect of

“if this team was healthy we’d be in the playoffs”

I think you people are insane.

We came in 29th.

We had a lot of injuries, but I’m thinking you must think “healthy” means 0 injuries.Which, if possible, might put us close.

The reality is we should probably budget for 1 top 6f, 1 bottom 6f, and 1 top4d on IR all year.That’s probably reasonable.

And then we pray to the gods Talbot stays healthy.

In that situation we’re still miles away from being a playoff team.Miles.

29th.

AGAIN.

While I agree with your basic statement. Same team no injuries still = not making the playoffs. It can’t go understated the quality of players removed from this team during much of the season. When you consider 2 of the top 3 Centers were out for 1/2 the season coupled with 2 out of the top 4 D being out for most the season. On a team that was already lacking depth, these were major death blows to their ability to move up the standings. I would argue that 1/2 the injuries would of improved them 15-20 pts. The early season goalie cratering didnt help either.

The takeaway and I agree with your point on expected injuries. Is that they need to improve the depth.. especially on D(Duh!) But also bottom 6. So acquiring 2 RHD(eg.Demers/Vatanen) , a 3C , and a quality Backup Goalie coupled with a league average injuries should be enough to have them in the playoff conversation.

103. wheatnoil says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    wheatnoil,

Just did… it’s a good piece and you’re right, Portzline is usually the go-to for Columbus. We’ll see what happens, I guess. (Though he also does talk about the potential for trading down. Guess it depends on the offer.)

104. 99266in87 says:

speeds: Kesler is just about to start a 6 year, 6.875M contract.I would be stunned if the Oilers even look at a deal like that with Kesler involved.

OUCH. Point taken. So, they retain some of that. Maybe?

105. AsiaOil says:

There is no way to assess what the #4 will be worth until Columbus makes their pick (or trades it and the team getting it makes the pick). A lot is going to happen quickly between picks 3 & 4. I like Dubois a lot and would be totally happy with him – same with JP. Both guys could play at 4RW next year. Tkachuk is a LW LHS with average speed and size – and Sergachev is going to take 2-3 years before he can help – pass on both at #4. I don’t deal #4 unless it brings back a younger top pair RHD who is under contrail for a while.

Trading Hall is insane unless a #1 RHD is coming back -and that list has about zero guys on it that are actually available – even Lindholm doesn’t make sense as he’s a LHD. Hamonic still makes a ton of sense and we can get him for less than a true 1D and pair him with Klef for a decent top pair. – not killer – but decent. I would then get a younger 3rd pair guy like Severson who has the potential to be top 4 in a year or two – and keep Fayne for depth. Severson and Davidson could be a really nice 2nd pair in 12-18 months. Hamonic and Severson seem “do-able” in the offseason. If Eberle is traded people will be disappointed by the return (I think he might go for Severson plus a pick) but smaller one dimensional wingers with $6 million contracts are not exactly gold. Look at what Kessel was traded for by TOR and he’s both bigger and his one dimension (scoring) is substantially better.

I don’t trade Hall….period. I keep RNH until Drai and CMD are a year or two older. I trade Eberle, Yak, one of the young LHD (GR, Nurse, Davey) and the 2nd round pick as required. Buckle up – 2 weeks to go – and there will be a lot to talk about.

106. Walter Sobchak says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Walter Sobchak,

107. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Walter Sobchak: Good point but, Yes, I believe it does come down to dollars, Col is still on a budget, there still giving up term in Barrie, what more could Barrie be asking for? I’m thinking 5.5 x 7. Another thing that strikes me wrong with this deal is why would Roy give up Barrie for Trouba if not for dollars? It certainly isn’t for offence.

I think Trouba’s asking price/final contract will be at least in Barrie territory–at least that’s what we are hearing. I think it comes down to Roy preferring Trouba’s style over Barrie’s, with the contracts probably looking fairly similar.

108. Магия 10 says:

AsiaOil:

+1.

The value of our core forwards goes up when this team has success.
    The cost of core d goes down when this team is trading from a position of strength.

If we can’t work a home run until we move forward willing to hit singles and doubles and also add short term contracts that can be left unprotected.

If the Islanders are motivated to move Hamonic and pick up what Eberle can do maybe there is a trade there. If they discount what Eberle can do for them probably not.

Time for a prediction. Hall and Nuge aren’t going anywhere. As with the Talbot acquisition Chia does a good job of talking to everyone and making the current in play buy/sell market values very clear to his trading partners. If any of the Austins go it will because the trading partner will pay for Eberle’s point production.

109. Bruce McCurdy says:

russ99: Besides, if the Islanders can fix their defense in one summer, why can’t we?

Nitpicking here, but the Islanders fixed their defence in the autumn. October, in fact.

It really was quite extraordinary. Expecting one’s own team to match the extraordinary sets one up for disappointment.

110. Walter Sobchak says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

I can get onboard with that, what still bothers me is why ether the Oilers or Col make a deal involving RNH…….I just can’t get there. Cost and term for RNH are prohibitive as well as Barrie with Arb rights is a killer as well.

I hope I’m right….

111. wheatnoil says:

Walter Sobchak:

112. Walter Sobchak says:

wheatnoil: I listened to the audio from that section from 1260. I think the link that you provided wasn’t clear. They sort of implied that Yak + Fayne was something McKenzie said, but I don’t think he actually ever said that. He said that the Avs may be looking for a cheaper option or a different option. The writer of that article then speculated that Yak + Fayne would be a cheaper option. Unless I missed it (was doing a couple other things while I was listening) I don’t think McKenzie ever floated those names. That would be an amazing steal of a deal by the Oilers!

I could have misinterpreted that as well, I think what it does show is, that as fans after doing all the analyzing, the prices being asked might be lower than we expect.
    My own view is that nothing happens (trades) like we talk about but I get the sense that the Oilers might be pressing this year, my hope is that common sense and restraint from doing something rash.

113. Water Fire says:

Магия 10: +1.

The value of our core forwards goes up when this team has success.

114. Bruce McCurdy says:

Water Fire: I hope Eberle would go first, but why not just resign Okposo? He isn’t getting even 6M with the cap as it is.

115. Магия 10 says:

The islander blog I linked in expects Edmonton to eat some of Eberle’s salary with Hamonic going back.

116. Oilspill says:

russ99: That’s the problem. The forward group isn’t playoff worthy. At least not in the defensive zone.

We run that and we’re a lottery team again.

You are dead on about the forwards. Whose the best at getting back? HendriKS. The six million dollar men need to get lower with any of the D.

117. Oilspill says:

DRFNsuperstar:
    So if the forward group is “playoff worthy” what if they just add Demers:

Klefbom-Demers
    Sekera-Fayne
    Davidson-Gryba
    Reinhart-Nurse

It’s great to optimistic about top D but what we have to trade is quite tarnished.
    Hall B+. Quite one dimensional and pretty soft . Might go to a physical team who needs pure scoring.
    Eberle B-..Same as Hall but softer yet.
    RNH A-..think he stays. Has some decent defense in his game. Chia likes defense.

118. AsiaOil says:

Oilspill: None of these guys do much in the greasy zones. That hurts their value. Tough and GAINING POSSESSION is very underrated.

That is what I really like about Dubois – he crashes the net relentlessly and go to the greasy zones without hesitation. Pretty much unlike any of our top forwards aside from Hall at times.

119. AsiaOil says:

Bruce McCurdy: Because, and I quote, “Eberle is not only more prolific in terms of goal scoring, but has a higher percentage of goals to points than Okposo. The upgrade is already clear in that regard.”

They are actually quite close in ESP/60 over the past 2 years: Okposo was 1.76 & 2.09 while Eberle was 1.98 and 1.85. Eberle has also been on a consistent down trend for 5 years in terms of ESP/60 after his career year 5 years ago and bring less than Okposo in other areas. There is a case to be made that moving Eberle now is prudent if this trend continues. But I’d rather get a guy like Smith from NAS who has similar ESP/60 to Eberle, is cheaper, and simply crushes it in terms of possession instead of Okposo.