OILERS SIGN PITLICK

He is back, and before Iiro Pakarinen. This afternoon, the Edmonton Oilers announced the return of Tyler Pitlick.

• NHL boxcars: 27gp, 3-0-3
  • AHL boxcars: 196gp, 28-57-85 (per 82gp: 12-24-36) (NHLE: 6-11-17)

I think this should be framed as a slight surprise, especially with Edmonton not having signed Iiro Pakarinen yet. It has been mentioned that the Oilers might take the young Finn to arbitration—opening up another buyout window (ala the false start Schultz situation a year ago).

ERIC RODGERS NEIGHBORHOOD

rodgers forwards bakersfield

Pitlick spent half of the season injured, scored reasonably well when healthy and his team played at par during even-strength game state.

CURRENT 50-MAN LIST (39)

1. G Cam Talbot. He will play 50 games next year. Who plays the other 30?
  2. G Laurent Brossoit. Projects as NHL backup/AHL starter.
  3. G Nick Ellis: Newly signed college free agent.
  4. G Eetu Laurikainen, AHL backup, he is signed for next year.
  5. D Oscar Klefbom. Splendid young player. Watch out for falling anvils.
  6. D Andrej Sekera, top 4D, important part of the team.
  7. D Brandon Davidson, this generation’s Pisani. Major solution, low price.
  8. D Mark Fayne, Jim Matheson mentioned buy out. I don’t see it.
  9. D Darnell Nurse, bet third pair with Davidson for 2016-17.
  10. D Griffin Reinhart, he will push for NHL time again this year.
  11. D Andrew Ference, LTIR looks very likely.
  12. D Dillon Simpson, I think we may see him a little in Edmonton this year.
  13. D Joey Laleggia, scored pretty well as an AHL rookie.
  14. D Ben Betker, big man was solid at ECHL level.
  15. D Caleb Jones, WHL D. Newly signed, definite slide rule.
  16. C Connor McDavid, the hockey world remains jealous. Who can blame them?
  17. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, am encouraged he may stay.
  18. C Leon Draisaitl, emerging NHL talent.
  19. C Mark Letestu, checking NHL C.
  20. C Anton Lander, may catch on as utility forward in 2016-17.
  21. C Jujhar Khaira, he is likely to push some more.
  22. C Bogdan Yakimov, big body, plenty of skill, wonder about the speed.
  23. C Kyle Platzer, may be the next Kyle Brodziak.
  24. L Taylor Hall, shine on you crazy diamond.
  25. L Benoit Pouliot, underrated by many. Trade rumors.
  26. L Patrick Maroon, an outstanding value contract.
  27. L Lauri Korpikoski, is he on the way out? No buyout in sight.
  28. L Matt Hendricks, checking NHL W.
  29. L Drake Caggiula. High profile signing, likely to see some NHL time.
  30. L Jere Sallinen, Newly signed, looks like tweener offense.
  31. L Mitch Moroz, AHL winger/enforcer, improved year over year.
  32. L Braden Christoffer, rugged winger did not have a good season.
  33. R Jordan Eberle, scoring winger, found chem with McDavid.
  34. R Nail Yakupov, I think he will be traded any day.
  35. R Zack Kassian, will play bottom 6F, Chiarelli-style rugged.
  36. R Tyler Pitlick. Young veteran just signed. Bakersfield, possible recalls 16-17.
  37. R Anton Slepyshev, this will be an important year for him.
  38. R Patrick Russell, power forward potential. Interesting new signing.
  39. R Greg Chase, minor league winger.

WAITING

1. R Iiro Pakarinen, he should get signed in the next while. RFA
  2. D Jordan Oesterle, I think he has passed most of the picks. RFA.
  3. D Adam Clendening. Foot speed will cost him. RFA.
  4. D David Musil, his skills are duplicated multiple times. RFA.
  5. L Luke Gazdic. He is in tough at this points. RFA
  6. R Adam Cracknell, he brings some toughness and reliability. UFA.
  7. R Rob Klinkhammer. Off to Russia. UFA.
  8. D Adam Pardy. He played well, doubt there is room. UFA.
  9. D Eric Gryba, UFA. A chance he signs. UFA.
  10. D Nikita Nikitin, UFA. Ufa alright.
  11. D Brad Hunt. Skills are duplicated elsewhere. UFA.
  12. L Josh Winquist. Best offensive prospect in the AHL currently—but does not have an NHL deal.
  13. R Josh Currie At 23, he forced his way into the lineup and played very well. Can also play center.
  14. C Marco Roy. Began slowly, but fought his way up the depth chart and emerged as a solid option.
  15. G Niklas Lundstrom. Signed with Bjorkloven for next year.
  16. L Kale Kessy. Rugged winger, skills duplicated on roster. RFA.
  17. R Andrew Miller. He may have traded himself. No chance he returns imo. UFA.
  18. L Ryan Hamilton. May receive another deal from the Oilers.
  19. G Keven Bouchard. 2014 pick needs to be signed.
  20. L Daniil Zharkov. Own his rights.

38 Responses to "OILERS SIGN PITLICK"

1. ashley says:

I would not be surprised to see a trade in the next 24 hours, suspect it would be Nail Yakupov.

I doubt this will happen. Only because it makes the second least sense of all the potential roster moves. Why give up something semi valuable for what will likely be almost nothing of value?

For the record, the thing that makes the least sense is trading RNH. I don’t get it.

I missed the Chia thread yesterday. I don’t think we can say that trading for GR negatively affected last season’s results. Compared to those picks plugging away on junior teams or in the minors and not having GR, he actually helped, but perhaps is not going to be exactly what Chia thought he was going to be. So I understand the negative sentiment.

I also don’t agree with thread comments giving Chia a failing grade because of going into the season unbalanced. The premise of this criticism is that it was possible to make all the moves to balance the team, but the GM decided not to. We know from the MacT era, that he was badly trying to balance the team (a center was his target), but could not find anyone available. He told us as much in his pressers. This is also likely the case from Tambi’s era. It’s especially hard to make good trades when you have so few assets and have so much you need. Everyone knows how badly they needed defense and were probably seeing if they could get Hall or RNH for a second pairing Dman.

Just because we enter a season unbalanced doesn’t mean that the GM intended to do so. How many times have we heard GM’s come out of trade deadlines or draft sessions and say “the only way to get these kind of players is to draft and develop them”. That’s likely because they tried to trade for a top pairing D, a first or second line RHC, a gritty winger who can score, a power forward etc, and were told by every GM they called that the player was not available. They speak from experience.

I suspect Chia is trying very hard to balance the roster as we speak. How much of a price are you willing to pay? If he goes into the season with the current D crop it won’t be because he wasn’t trying to upgrade it while at the same time trying not to get completely taken advantage of.

2. npanciroli says:

You have to think the second he gets something he is comfortable with for Yakupov he pulls the trigger.

I also think that he has the framework for some possible deals ready to go but is waiting until draft to see how big an offer he can get for the 4th overall.

I bet Demers is on their radar as well, especially if McLellan likes him.

3. wheatnoil says:

Interesting, Pitlick’s $725K is a bit less than his Qualifying Offer would be. Last year he made $761K, so a 5% increase would put his QO at just shy of $800K. However, the CBA states that the minor league component of his salary doesn’t need to be any higher than his last contract, which was at $85K last year. This contract has it at $95K.

We saw this last year with Davidson. He signed for less than his qualifying offer. In exchange his minor league salary was bumped up by $20K. Same with Andrew Miller who signed for a bit lower than his QO at the major league level, but saw a huge bump up in his minor league salary (to $175K).

I think this is a new thing with Chiarelli, because I don’t remember it happening with MacT. Having these guys that are unlikely to make the NHL (and Davidson was in that boat last year) and get them to sign at below their QO to say a few hundred $K on the salary cap but give them a little more at the minor league level to make it worth their while (where they’ll likely be playing the majority of the year anyways).

4. Pescador says:

ashley,

Good post.
    I agree with almost everything except for Yak.
    It’s time for a change of scenery for both sides, it just is.
    I am hopeful Chiarelli can find value in a trade, I will use Maroon as an example of a GM who can identify NHL talent and not overpay to get it.

5. kinger_OIL says:

– To me Pitlick is hopefully the following:

Chia to MacT: “so what do you think about Pitlick?”

MacT: “Pitlick is the next Cam Neely”

Chia: “OK, I will sign him up for 1 more year. Thanks for all your contributions and reports this year. Take the next two weeks off, go on a vacation”

6. Woogie63 says:

My wish for Mr. Pitlick is +80 games with NO injures.

7. Genjutsu says:

kinger_OIL:
    – To me Pitlick is hopefully the following:

Chia to MacT: “so what do you think about Pitlick?”

MacT: “Pitlick is the next Cam Neely”

Chia: “OK, I will sign him up for 1 more year.Thanks for all your contributions and reports this year.Take the next two weeks off, go on a vacation”

Why would you say this? Amateur procurement had been a strength since MacT returned.

8. Магия 10 says:

spoiler: Eventually Pitlick will have been injured enough times that the number of pins in his body will match Wolverine’s adamantine skeleton and he will be unstoppable.

The song for Pitlick’s RE could be Johnny Cash – One Piece at a time.

9. BONVIE says:

kinger_OIL,

kinger_OIL:
    – To me Pitlick is hopefully the following:

Chia to MacT: “so what do you think about Pitlick?”

MacT: “Pitlick is the next Cam Neely”

Pitlick is a good skater and plays the boards the way they should be played, he provides very little offense but playing him over Yakapov on the 3rd or 4th line would provide a substantial net gain in GF/GA. What the Oilers lacked last year even more than solid veteran defense, is forwards that could skate that would work hard every shift. In watching the Playoffs I seen this as the number one difference to the Oilers in the regular season is how few forwards we have outside Hall, McDavid, and Draisatel (on the top lines)that skate hard every shift, and use their speed to backcheck as well as forecheck. Our third and fourth lines were the saddest group I can recall as an Oilers fan. Look at players like Yakapov, Korpikoski, and Letetsu your not going to win much with 3rd and 4th lines that soft defensively for other hardworking bottom 6 forwards to kick the crap out of. We need a bunch of Pitlick type player and play the ones that work their butt off every shift, and send the Yakapovs and Letetsus back to the factory.

10. LMHF#1 says:

What for? Nothing personal against the guy but that’s a waste of 2% of the contract limit.

11. Ducey says:

BONVIE:
    kinger_OIL,

Pitlick is a good skater and plays the boards the way they should be played,

Maybe he should stop playing the boards and start playing the opposition. He likely would be hurt less.

Pitlick was trying to win a job against Klinkhammer and Pakarinen. He got hurt, Pakarinen won it and we are here. I like the player, am fine with the signing. I think he could go another year without an NHL game though. He will need some luck and that depth chart has some new options (Caggiula, Russell, Kassian) on the team.

13. Магия 10 says:

If he didn’t have bad luck, he’d have no luck at all.

14. Ducey says:

LMHF#1:

Depth.

Did you notice players for the Oilers get hurt every once and a while?

He is young enough to still improve and provides a RH forward with some NHL experience. All they have on the farm for RH shoots are Chase, Russell, and Platzer. None of those guys is ready.

15. LMHF#1 says:

Ducey: Depth.

Did you notice players for the Oilers get hurt every once and a while?

16. OilClog says:

As long as he can stay healthy he has a shot, take watching Pitlick over Korp any day of the week.

Chia is going to get creative.

Nuge, Eberle, Korp, Nikitin, Pou = 23?

Lucic 6, Stamkos 9, Pitlick .8, IroPak 1.5, Demers 5 = 23?

Stammer on a one or two year big money deal to play with his new best bud Conny

Lucy on a 6×6

Dems on a 5×5

Plug the bottom lines with energetic big bodies like from the minors like Lando, Pits, Jugs, Yadda Mcyaddas, drake, young money, ovo.

none of this will happen obviously but it’s far more pleasing to think about then trading Hall.

Hall stood up for Hemmer, unbreakable fan bond from that point forward.

17. wheatnoil says:

Current right-handed winger pro-depth chart:
    Eberle (trade rumours)
    Kassian

Pakarinen (unsigned RFA)
    Slepyshev
    Pitlick
    Russell
    Platzer
    Chase (also a C)

That’s an awful steep drop-off after #1. Frankly, Pitlick has a legitimate shot at getting some 4th line NHL time (an outside shot, but it’s there). If Slepyshev falters, Pitlick is basically the first right-handed winger call-up.

I’d say this is Last Chance Texico for him, but he’s actually still an RFA after this year too. I think Pitlick got a contract here for the same reason Clendening has an outside shot at one… the right-handed depth chart is beyond weak.

18. kinger_OIL says:

Genjutsu,

– because even if you want to give MacT credit for amateur procurement, I want nothing to do with his insight on NHL players….

– I just wish Chia was calling the shots, but we’ve seen clues that he isn’t truely independent yet…

19. Ducey says:

LMHF#1: There are only 50 contract spots and there are better players available. They know what Pitlick is and it isn’t enough.

Maybe you can list some C/RW who are UFA’s, with upside, and are young and RH’ed that will be better than Pitlick. They will have to be guys that will sign a two way on the cheap and get thru waivers.

I think you will find any difference isn’t worth complaining about.

Of the list LT posted about there are only about 4 or 5 UFA/ RFA guys they might sign (Pak, Oesterle, Clendenning? Musil? Gryba?). And they are going to punt Yak.

That means they can add another 7-8 players without subtracting anyone.

That’s plenty of room.

20. Seismic Source says:

Why isn’t there much talk of Montreal and our 4th? They seem like one of the teams that would value it the most.

What would they give for Dubois?
    What if Yakupov was included?
    They get the big French center and reunite Yakupov with Galchenyuk. What’s that worth?

Gallagher + ?

21. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Some of us were hoping to add a kid with NHL bloodlines. Chia is clearly pandering to the fans! Oh no! 😉

Seismic Source:

What would they give for Dubois?
    What if Yakupov was included?

Gallagher + ?

They don’t have a defensemen to trade to the Oilers other than Subban. That is why. With Montreal, it is a monster mind blowing trade for Subban or nothing**.

**nothing — there could be a little Yakupov trade.

23. stevezie says:

Seismic Source,

Seems like a starting point anyway

EDIT: they don’t have a defenceman, but upgrading yak for Gallagher stengthens the right side significantly- maybe even frees up moving Eberle? Makes some sense if the guy they want might fall to nine anyway.

I haven’t thought this out. Criticize away

24. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Man, I hate cutting losing positions at the lows.
    His value is so low right now that trading Yak makes no sense to me.
    He plays for Edmonton this year and rehabs his value. Or he holds out for a trade and at least every team has a chance at an auction. All you need is one team to get an injury in camp and you might get an “okay” trade for him.

Right now is the absolute crappiest, lowest time to cut bait on Yak.

That’s my opinion. Player may need a change in scenery but if I am GM I am trying to maximize value on a depreciated asset. That’s my priority.

25. Seismic Source says:

godot10,

I don’t think the 4th needs to address defence. I’m saying trading the 4th fills the hole created from trading a top 6 to fix the defence.

I doubt any team values that pick more than Montreal. That’s worth something. Perhaps I am playing a bit on stereotypes admittedly.

26. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Seismic Source:
    godot10,

I don’t think the 4th needs to address defence. I’msaying trading the 4th fills the hole created from trading a top 6 to fix the defence.

Montreal fills the biggest rink in the NHL every night. It may just be me but I see less of a marketing Francophones need there than in the past. Koivu was a Finn and a revered captain. Gionta was an American captain. MaxPac also American and immensely popular I don’t think they “need” Dubois much more than other teams that need a big C/LW with skill. i.e. they need one and may want him but no moreso than…say Columbus or Nashville or Minny.

27. stevezie says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Yep. If he goes to Russia and has a good season? There’s more to be gained holding him than to be lost holdIng him too long.

28. Ducey says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Man, I hate cutting losing positions at the lows.
    His value is so low right now that trading Yak makes no sense to me.

Right now is the absolute crappiest, lowest time to cut bait on Yak.

Isn’t his value lower if he pouts/ sits out/ mouths off during camp? Or if he has yet another crappy year?

It can get worse. These are the Oilers we are talking about.

29. Seismic Source says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

I think the ship has sailed. He could just as easily be in the KHL on his next contract. I’m a fan too. It sucks.

Montreal has a connection with him in regards to Galchenyuk. If any team even cared about asking about him, I’d suspect they would be one of them. Hopefully that’s worth something. The kid did ask to be traded.

30. john says:

Àla false start*, no need for the the.. haha sorry

31. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Ducey,

I addressed that above. I don’t think so.

Right now no one is injured on all the teams.

Right now cap space is worth a lot and he is a 2.5m hit.

Right now draft picks are overvalued and players are not.

Right now Yak has already publicly made his trade request known.

Right now the Russian coach has recently said he was addition by subtraction.

Right Now….says Sammy Hagar.

If he a) reports and plays and plays well his value rebounds.
    if he b) holds out and goes to Russia and he plays well his value rebounds.
    if he c) holds out and sits out, every team knows he is up for auction (they already know he has aaked out). Chia has him under contract so he can sit him all year.

During camp or the season a top 6 wing will get hurt and a team will want to fill in that gap with a stop-gap. Yak fits a need in that case.

So, personally, no I do not think his value can go much lower than now. At worst about the same. At best a lot better. Sunk cost now, don’t cut for peanuts now.

32. stevezie says:

Seismic Source,

I love the kid, but see the title of this morning’s article.

“Nail? I’ll trade you. I promise that if you can get your value up, I’ll trade you. Can’t do it right now. Makes more sense to loan you to Russia that to trade you. Give my forty good games and you’ve got a deal. Or go to Russia.”

That’s assuming the dressing room would take him. Or maybe we can get Severson for him and Fayne right now, I dunno.

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Montreal fills the biggest rink in the NHL every night. It may just be me but I see less of a marketing Francophones need there than in the past. Koivu was a Finn and a revered captain. Gionta was an American captain. MaxPac also American and immensely popularI don’t think they “need” Dubois much more than other teams that need a big C/LW with skill. i.e. they need one and may want him but no moreso than…say Columbus or Nashville or Minny.

Yeah, but it scratches an itch like an OCD person turning off the lights *perfectly*

34. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

stevezie,

The dressing room will take him. They took Kassian they will take Yak. The Isles took Hamonic all year.

35. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woodguy: Yeah, but it scratches and itch like an OCD person turning off the lights *perfectly*

Sure. Not saying Montreal doesn’t want PLD. But I question whether they NEED him more than other teams that could use a good C prospect. Who is to say they will offer more than, say, Minny. Montreal’s pipeline doesn’t match up well with the Oilers’ needs.

36. Seismic Source says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Minny is a good example of another franchise that values players from their home state actually.

37. Oilspill says:

I think Fayne may be bought out. He only really played after team injuries. Can’t see him playing top 6. Coaches have proved they don’t have confidence.

38. AsiaOil says:

They had all 2015-2016 to do this NYCOIL but chose the “showcase” Purcell and haul in a massive late 3rd round pick. Brilliant. Doubt they will get smarter over the summer but pumping Eb’s tires was probably the priority last year.

….and good for Pitlick – hope he’s a 2016 Davidson.

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:
    Man, I hate cutting losing positions at the lows.
    His value is so low right now that trading Yak makes no sense to me.

Right now is the absolute crappiest, lowest time to cut bait on Yak.