DRAFT POST NO. 6: REMEMBER WHAT PEACE THERE MAY BE IN SILENCE

The world continued turning as it should today, North America’s most northern major city enjoying a lovely afternoon. Blue skies, sunshine, colorful clothing and music and laughter. A good day for the roses. On the hockey front, all hell broke loose and mister, it figures to get a whole lot more interesting in the hours to come.

Taken together, this is not necessarily good news for the Oilers. Vatanen was a target, as was Tyson Barrie as was Justin Faulk and they are all apparently off the market. I never really believe this stuff—Travis Hamonic remains on my list of possibles—but the Vatanen contract is a pretty nice one and I do believe Anaheim will keep him.

I am okay with Vatanen being off the list, for one main reason. Although he is a sublime puck mover, it is my opinion the team needs that two-way solution more. When I list the Chiarelli needs, the two-way defender (the Hamonic) is always first on the list for that season.

I was talking to Cam Thompson (Rivers Q) on twitter awhile back, and he reminded me of the days when MacT would run four forwards—one on the point. MacT would try it, have a great deal of initial success, and some damned idiot would score a SH goal and MacT would go back to the button down solution. It can and will work, and Edmonton needs a shooter on the point—forwards can help there.

THE D LIST

1. LD Hampus Lindholm, Anaheim Ducks. Perfect fit, if available.
  2. PK Subban, Montreal Canadiens. If available, shoot the moon.
  3. Travis Hamonic, NY Islanders. Perfect fit, if available.
  4. Kevin Shattenkirk, St. Louis Blues. He solves the issue, would cost the moon and has one year left. Problematic solution.
  5. Jason Demers, Dallas Stars. Wilford Brimley: The right thing to do.
  6. Tyson Barrie, Colorado Avalanche. Nuge?
  7. LD Alex Goligoski, Dallas Stars. He would be an outstanding option.
  8. Radko Gudas, Philadelphia Flyers. Strong, effective defender.
  9. Justin Faulk, Carolina Hurricanes. Would be higher, question availability.
  10. Sami Vatanen, Anaheim Ducks. Solid offense, not completely proven.
  11. Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg Jets. Strange year for a talented young player.
  12. David Savard, Columbus Blue Jackets. Range of skills.
  13. LD Keith Yandle, NY Rangers. Offensive defenseman.
  14. Michael Stone, Arizona Coyotes. Major knee surgery.
  15. LD Brian Campbell, Florida Panthers. He is effective.
  16. Damon Severson, New Jersey Devils. A nice underlying option.
  17. Mark Pysyk, Buffalo Sabres. The numbers imply there is a player here.
  18. Ryan Pulock, New York Islanders. Big shot from the point has high value. Very young.
  19. Ryan Murphy, Carolina Hurricanes. Some chaos, but good speed and puck-moving ability.
  20. Brandon Montour, Anaheim Ducks. This could be a special player.
  21. Cody Franson, Buffalo Sabres. That hammer from the point would come in handy and he fits a real need.
  22. Jordan Schmaultz, St. Louis Blues. Puck-moving prospect.
  23. Anthony DeAngelo, Tampa Bay Lightning. Another player with a puck-moving element to his game.
  24. Colin Miller, Boston Bruins. With the other Miller signing, maybe he is available.
  25. LD David Schlemko, New Jersey Devils. Depth D, has some nice things.
  26. Eric Gryba, Edmonton Oilers. I think management likes him.
  27. Ville Pokka, Chicago Blackhawks. Young defender in the Chicago system.
  28. Ryan Sproul, Detroit Red Wings. Puck-moving defender in the AHL.
  29. Dennis Wideman, Calgary Flames. A year removed from a fantastic offensive season.
  30. RD Dan Boyle, New York Rangers. Retiring, but he is the player they are looking for—early, not late in his career.

SUH-WING AND A MISS!

We talked about this the other day, but in light of the Vatanen signing I wanted to mention it again. Right now, Peter Chiarelli has plenty of options—including simply signing Jason Demers and Dan Boyle as free agents. Not ideal of course, but keeping that forward group intact (McDavid, Hall, Nuge, Leon, Eberle, Pouliot) is a grand idea. Once he makes his big move, then all other options fly away. Better to be sure, and since one of his major bargaining chips plays out one week from now, probably wise to slow play the future.

I keep coming back to No. 4 overall. It is the key to the draft highway this summer. Whether or not Columbus chooses Jesse Puljujarvi or trades down, Edmonton remains the sweet spot. A team looking for Matt Tkachuk or Pierre-Luc Dubois—Winnipeg, Montreal, Buffalo, Philadelphia—have to make that call to Peter Chiarelli.

History tells us that No. 4 overall pick will have its ultimate value on the draft floor, after 4:30 our time Friday afternoon. Peter Chiarelli, veteran GM, would do well to keep his powder dry, make certain he extracts true value, and then pulls the trigger on the best deal. The best deal should involve a RHD who can help those brilliant forwards pummel the Vancouver Canucks senseless—and that is for sure.

Another Bakersfield addition, like this player and good for him. He did not get an NHL deal, but rather a chance to impress the 30 NHL teams on a pretty big stage. Here are the men who have signed into the organization this spring (NHL or AHL) and will probably spend the fall and winter in California:

• L Drake Cagguila, North Dakota (NCAA) (39, 25-26-51)
  • R Patrick Russell, St. Cloud State (NCAA) (41, 20-21-41)
  • L Jere Salinen, Jokerit (Sm-Liiga) (50, 8-11-19)
  • G Nick Ellis, Providence (NCAA) (36, 1.80 .936)
  • L Ryan Hamilton, Bakersfield (AHL) (60, 20-13-33) (AHL)
  • F Josh Currie, Bakersfield (AHL) (53, 10-14-24) (AHL)
  • W Joey Benik, St. Cloud State (NCAA) (41, 23-25-48) (AHL)
  • D Colton Waltz, Saskatoon Blades (WHL) (65, 5-25-30) (AHL)

WAITING

1. R Iiro Pakarinen, he should get signed in the next while. RFA
  2. D Jordan Oesterle, I think he has passed most of the picks. RFA.
  3. D Adam Clendening. Foot speed will cost him. RFA.
  4. D David Musil, his skills are duplicated multiple times. RFA.
  5. L Luke Gazdic. He is in tough at this points. RFA
  6. R Tyler Pitlick. Young AHL veteran now. RFA
  7. R Adam Cracknell, he brings some toughness and reliability. UFA.
  8. R Rob Klinkhammer. Off to Russia. UFA.
  9. D Adam Pardy. He played well, doubt there is room. UFA.
  10. D Eric Gryba, UFA. A chance he signs. UFA.
  11. D Nikita Nikitin, UFA. Ufa alright.
  12. D Brad Hunt. Skills are duplicated elsewhere. UFA.
  13. L Josh Winquist. Best offensive prospect in the AHL currently—but does not have an NHL deal.
  14. R Josh Currie At 23, he forced his way into the lineup and played very well. Can also play center.
  15. C Marco Roy. Began slowly, but fought his way up the depth chart and emerged as a solid option.
  16. G Niklas Lundstrom. Signed with Bjorkloven for next year.
  17. L Kale Kessy. Rugged winger, skills duplicated on roster. RFA.
  18. R Andrew Miller. He may have traded himself. No chance he returns imo. UFA.
  19. L Ryan Hamilton. May receive another deal from the Oilers.
  20. G Keven Bouchard. 2014 pick needs to be signed.
  21. L Daniil Zharkov. Own his rights.

145 Responses to "DRAFT POST NO. 6: REMEMBER WHAT PEACE THERE MAY BE IN SILENCE"

1. Seismic Source says:

Does this make Lindholm more available? I’m so confused.

2. lynn says:

Josh Currie earned another AHL contract. He was very good for the Condors at the end of last season.

One has to wonder if Josh Winquist is on the Oilers’ radar for next season. I check Elite Prospects every day expecting to see Winquist has signed with an elite team in Sweden or Switzerland.

3. RexLibris says:

The best deal should involve a RHD who can help those brilliant forwards pummel the Vancouver Canucks senseless…

Presumably you mean the players, because when it comes to management I think that ship has sailed.

4. RexLibris says:

I’m happy Esks beat the Riders, but I’ve got this nagging feeling that coach Whatshisname over there is going to gather the game tape and make us pay for it a few times this season.

5. lynn says:

RexLibris:

The Eskimos won’t miss a beat without Chris Jones. The Eskimos still have many good players and an excellent young coach in Jason Maas. Jones had to move on to look after himself, so be it.

6. Магия 10 says:

RexLibris:

A nice change to have the bastard scouting our player’s tendencies on the other team’s dime.

7. rocket says:

Lowetide: Montreal is looking for a big center. It could happen that they trade with Oilers to get #4 to get their big center. Hall goes to Montreal, #4 to Montreal, perhaps Yak and / or Nurse or Klefbon and Edmonton gets Subban and Eller (an center). It could also happen that Edmonton trades Eberle to NYI to get Hamonic. It could happen that Edmonton gets UFA Lucic to replace Hall and UFA Okposo to replace Eberle. Pure speculation…

rocket:
    Lowetide: Montreal is looking for a big center.It could happen that they trade with Oilers to get #4 to get their big center.Hall goes to Montreal, #4 to Montreal, perhaps Yak and / or Nurse or Klefbon and Edmonton gets Subban and Eller (an center). It could also happen that Edmonton trades Eberle to NYI to get Hamonic. It could happen that Edmonton gets UFA Lucic to replace Hall and UFA Okposo to replace Eberle.Pure speculation…

9. TsuDhoNimh says:

So if Anaheim wants a left wing surely there aren’t many better trade partners than the Oilers. Gotta think there could be a deal built around Pouliot or even the 4th assuming Tkachuk is still available no? Although they’ll probably want Hall as a centerpiece I’m guessing.

10. Dont Fuhr the Reaper says:

rocket:

I would want Montreal’s pick (9) as well. If the trade was Hall, 4th, Yak for the Subban (and possible Eller). Just my 2 cents, the rest is an overpayment.

11. lynn says:

Lowetide: I never promised you anything more. At no time have I ever claimed inside information.

If you were an insider on Oiler news, your radio show would be on CHED.

12. theDjdj says:

Wonder where the Ducks are with Lindholm. You’d think resigning Lindholm is their number 1 priority. Maybe getting their ducks in a row (heh) before pulling the trigger on their big offseason contract?

Something tells me the Ducks have permission to spend to the cap this year. Take advantage of their window for success while they have it.

They’re after a LW too. Have to expect that talks are being had here with the Oilers. Is Pou + 4th overall enough to get Lindholm?

13. RexLibris says:

*slams fist on the table* “YOU PROMISED US BALANCE, DAMMIT!”

14. LadiesloveSmid says:

I was worried that they wouldn’t find a top end RD, but LT said on his show that Subban was in the bag last week. Said he had an in with a guy on the inside

15. Soup Fascist says:

I beg your pardon. I think you promised us a rose garden.

16. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

If one of your prognostications comes true, I am reporting you to the Securities and Exchange Commission to investigate you for insider trading.

lynn: Lowetide,

If you were an insider on Oiler news,your radio show would be on CHED.

Actually, not true. Jason Gregor and Ryan Rishaug work at TSN, both men break stories. The Oilers have shows and individuals they prefer to deal with, I am not one of them. Which is fine, being the outsider has its benefits. 🙂

18. John Chambers says:

Hey only four more years until Rick DiPietro’s contract expires.

Wait I’m wrong. 5 more years.

19. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

being the outsider has its benefits.

Stay gold, Ponyboy.

20. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

John Chambers:
    Hey only four more years until Rick DiPietro’s contract expires.

Wait I’m wrong. 5 more years.

Not only that one, but they had TWO: This time last summer.

“The Islanders acquired Alexei Yashin at the 2001 Draft. Fourteen years later, they have stopped paying him.

The Blackhawks’s victory in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup final puts an official end to the 2014-15 NHL season, which was the final year of Yashin’s buyout. The Islanders made the decision in 2007 to cut loose their captain, and had been paying him between $2.2 and $4.7 million annually ever since.”

—————
    There must be something in the air with these Long Island teams:
    I give you Bobby Bonilla…the most ridiculous contract…ever.

Christian Roatis ‏@CRoatis 54m54 minutes ago

According to @SunGarrioch, the #Flames are looking to move into the 3rd or 4th overall spot at the @2016NHLDraft.

Dougie Hamilton anyone?

22. JDï™ says:

Soup Fascist: I beg your pardon. I think you promised us a rose garden.

Along with the sunshine

There’s got to be a little rain sometimes…

23. Pescador says:

Christian Roatis ‏@CRoatis 54m54 minutes ago

Sure. Rienhart & the 4th for Hamilton & the 6th

Dougie Hamilton anyone?

24. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Pescador:

Oh Mr. Fisherman, if the Flames come calling I am asking for more than that.

25. BONVIE says:

Lowetide: Eberle

No thanks, give me TJ Brodie or Giordiano. Hamilton hasn’t left the shelter yet, he is basically Reinhart or Nurse who has been given better opportunities to succeed with a veteran partner.

26. BONVIE says:

Pescador:

Yeah that’s a possibility.

27. Wonder Llama says:

And jet packs. We were promised jet packs.

28. Doug McLachlan says:

The Flames would probably be looking for the Finn. Columbus might be interested as I take it that they are interested in a center like Brown.

29. Gret99zky says:

Lowetide : Right now, Peter Chiarelli has plenty of options—including simply signing Jason Demers and Dan Boyle as free agents.

LT, you make it sound so…so…simple. I hope the other teams in need of a UFA Dman just step aside and let it happen.

30. lynn says:

Lowetide: Actually, not true. Jason Gregor and Ryan Rishaug work at TSN, both men break stories. The Oilers have shows and individuals they prefer to deal with, I am not one of them. Which is fine, being the outsider has its benefits.

I guess your writing and comments hit to the bone.

31. OilClog says:

Hall and #4 + to get Subban?

Just revisited my Rona’s parking lot smokie stand smokie.

It burns.

Pou, #4 for Lindholm. Just to not trade Hall, throw in Reinhart! Lolol

32. OilClog says:

If the Flames want #4

#6, Brodie for #4, And Korp. Fuck em

lynn: I guess your writing and comments hit to the bone.

Nah, I don’t think that’s it. The Oilers are moving a tremendous amount of their content to their own website. There are times, draft, free agency, when they bring management online to talk to both stations but those moments are more rare now, and as I said, on shows that have been around longer. I doubt the Oilers spend much time on the blogs.

34. Pescador says:

@pescador54.
    Edm Oilers in search of a top 4 RHD this off season.
    Surplus of LW, yet still considering drafting Tkuchuk. #becauseoilers.

It’s been a slow news-day.

35. square_wheels says:

OilClog,

Sober me – who the fuck eats those smokies from a Rona parking lot ?

Post mountain bike ride me – damn I wish there was a smokie stand in the West Bragg parking lot

Drunk me – I’m not leaving this place without a $10 smokie with cheese, chilli, bacon bits, all fixings

No napkins required in any of the above scenarios.

36. square_wheels says:

When your audio companion podcast/intermission live stream breaks the Internet they’ll come crawling to you !

Gmoney ranting, Woodguy snarly about someone, stories from the Hinterland……

We wait.

37. Gret99zky says:

Yeah, but I’ll bet the Oiler brass lurks this place to get insight on things. They’d be crazy not to.

38. Colieo87 says:

This is why i stay out of the dreamy rumor train. See whar happens come draft and July 1st.

39. Pescador says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Oh Mr. Fisherman, if the Flames come calling I am asking for more than that.

Do share

40. Pescador says:

square_wheels:
    OilClog,
    Save the other 1 for the morning,
    I thought your T shirt had sleeves when you passed out.

Sober me – who the fuck eats those smokies from a Rona parking lot ?

No napkins required in any of the above scenarios.

Is that why you only have 1 sock?

41. square_wheels says:

Pescador,

Wait, let me look.

No socks – what happened ?

Hmmmm no wonder the dog is always chewing on them, he loves the chilli cheese bacon deliciousness I bet.

42. LadiesloveSmid says:

Hard Target: Kevin Klein?

seriously solid ESP/60 numbers for 4 of the last 5 seasons

43. Gret99zky says:

square_wheels:

I’m waiting for the day I see this post:

Cheter Piarelli:

Hi LT, long time lurker, first time poster. What the hell is it rickybear is saying? And who should I trade for? Asking for a friend.

44. Gret99zky says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Hard Target: Kevin Klein?

seriously solid ESP/60 numbers for 4 of the last 5 seasons

Loved him in a Fish Called Wanda.

45. Pouzar says:

Colieo87:

What rumors?

46. stevezie says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

When you pass up the opportunity to screw an enemy because you’re not screwing them enough you’re really just screwing yourself.

Right?

47. square_wheels says:

LadiesloveSmid,

Regular partner ? If his partner was McDonagh I’d guess he’s being seriously zoomed.

If it’s one of Girardi or Staal you have me interested.

Unfortunately he’d probably come inside the Rick Nash grab bag.

48. MrEd says:

If I’m Eberle, Pitlick, Pakarinen, or Kassian I’m spending my off-season learning to win draws.
    Hire Oates to drop pucks for hours on end.

49. square_wheels says:

Gret99zky,

Hahahahhahahhahahhaa

I had the mental image of them sitting around in Katz’s den about to have poker night and MacT just sent the personal assistant to the nearest Rona to grab 8 full load smokies.

Rickibearing is what I love about this place.

The Fine owner of this blog has been warming to my dream of the audio version of this place during some games…….I’m even willing to pay!

50. LadiesloveSmid says:

Gret99zky: Loved him in a Fish Called Wanda.

loved his delivery of Walkin’ After Midnight

51. Pescador says:

MrEd:
    Hire Oates to drop pucks for hours on end.

Mr Oates will be busy at my place this summer,
    deck needs work & that roof isn’t going to re-shingle it’s self.

52. LadiesloveSmid says:

square_wheels:
    LadiesloveSmid,

If it’s one of Girardi or Staal you have me interested.

Unfortunately he’d probably come inside the Rick Nash grab bag.

Staal is his most regular. McDonagh is tied to the hip with Girardi, the poor soul. Klein’s got 2 more years at 2.9M, if the price is right not the worst player to lose to expansion

53. Ryan says:

theDjdj:

My guess is that Hall is the price of admission.

54. Ryan says:

Where is Gmoney? Did he get banned again? 🙂

55. Магия 10 says:

Wonder Llama:
    And jet packs. We were promised jet packs.

Carbon neutral self driving jet packs

56. Ryan says:

SwedishPoster: A kid who had a good but not great junior career. Raw talent, always very smooth but skinny, kind of a late bloomer who played for Rögle which isn’t one of the big prospect factories in Sweden so he flew under the radar for a long time but took big steps during his draft year and ended up a first rounder. I don’t think a lot of people saw it coming a year earlier.
    Has kept his upward trajectory since then. Very smart player, great skater in all directions, solid offensive ability which I think he can tap into a bit more but not high end skills offensively. As, almost, always with the best swedish D not that physical. Quietly brilliant imo, though I feel some of the hype around him is potential and not yet fully warranted. He’s a player whose smooth brainy style is very pleasing and might give him a bit more credit than he deserves. Having said that a great player who is likely to grow even further. Certainly top pairing right now with a very high ceiling.

Great stuff, thanks.

To me, I recall bad things happening to the Oilers when he’s on the ice. Iirc, he really has a great first pass.

War on ice is RIP. I haven’t figured out Corsica yet.

More to come…

57. McSorley33 says:

Signing a 40 year old Dan Boyle is an option?

Ryan:
    Where is Gmoney?Did he get banned again? :)

Nope. No bans that I know of currently.

59. Магия 10 says:

You had them at hello.

They are still looking for the intern that pitched Vish on doing that Oilers Lowe tide show . 🙂

Keep on trucking. Enough shows based on access and its dictates.

60. rope-a-dope says:

Not sure if mentioned yet but what about Lucic to the Ducks? It would cost “only money” and Murray is now on record suggesting they’re after a LW. The Ducks love that type of player as much as anyone.. I’m sure they’d also love to piss in the Kings coffee.

61. jfry says:

Ryan:
    Where is Gmoney?Did he get banned again?

tons of great flights out of calgary in the last couple of weeks. hopefully he’s in europe thinking about the euro2016 or in asia just relaxing!

yycdeals.com seriously, phillipenes and malaysia for 500 bucks! that’s good enough reason to not be commenting. besides he did some seriously heavy lifting during the regular season.

hopefully he’s shaved off his playoff beard and enjoying a whiskey sour!

62. square_wheels says:

LadiesloveSmid,

As much as I would like McDonagh I’m going to be shocked if he ever leaves NYC.

If he does, suspect it’s not a Canadian team. If Minnesota didn’t have Suter signed for 9 more years I’d suggest he’d likely go home to Minny.

63. LadiesloveSmid says:

Lowetide: Nope. No bans that I know of currently.

not one?

what an honour it would be to be first, hmmm..

64. Ryan says:

Lowetide: Nope. No bans that I know of currently.

I know. I’m trying to coax him out of his apparent self-imposed exile. 🙂

65. Ryan says:

Poll.

What’s the absolute max price you’d pay for Hampus Lindholm if you’re Chiarelli?

66. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

stevezie:
    NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Right?

Pescador: Do share

It’s the Flames looking to move up, not the Oilers looking to move down. Division rival that took Hamilton out from under our noses. I am not doing them any favours. The price should be dear for the Flames to move up.

I make the price steep enough that they swallow hard and either bite or try to negotiate with Columbus. I hear on Calgary radio they love both JP and Tkachuk.

Hamilton > Reinhart
    4th > 6th (but where there is seemingly a clear #4 prospect)

That’s very close to a fair trade. I would ask for at least one more good pick or good prospect. We are talking about Hamilton, who was obtained last year for a package that wasn’t that much better than the one used to get Reinhart. Yes, GR struggled, but Hamilton wasn’t exactly smelling of roses most of the year, either, and has a much higher cap hit. It’s not a perfect solution worth making this type of trade for without an additional kicker coming our way.

This isn’t Brodie we are talking about; there’s a chance that both Hamilton and Reinhart wind up as 2nd pairing D for their careers. And for that we’d be letting Calgary get a much-needed, high-end winger.

They’d have to give me another good piece at least for me to accept this trade.

All my opinion, of course, but the Oilers hold the better cards if Calgary comes calling. If they think they can get a better deal with CBJ, let them try.

67. LadiesloveSmid says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

does Nurse need to be protected? thought him and McD were exempt

68. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Ryan:
    Poll.

#4, Pouliot ($1M retained), Reinhart

for

Lindholm, #24

69. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

does Nurse need to be protected? thought him and McD were exempt

Ah, I think I had a brain fart. Sorry.

70. Barcs says:

Ryan:
    Poll.

Something less than Taylor Hall.

Would try to work a deal around the 4th, Pouliot, GR or Yak.

If they asked for Draisaitl I would think long and hard about it.

71. square_wheels says:

jfry,

I’d grab that flight to Manilla but then halfway into 14hrs of flying I’d rather eat $500 in $5’s and $10’s.

72. square_wheels says:

Anyone else looking forward to the Rory Macdonald vs Wonderboy Thompson free UFC fight tonight ???

73. speeds says:

Christian Roatis ‏@CRoatis 54m54 minutes ago

Dougie Hamilton anyone?

EDM moves from 3 to 4, drafts Puljujarvi.

CGY moves up to 4 via trade with CLB, drafts whoever they prefer.

CLB picks up some picks, drafts whichever player they want at 6.

Everyone happy?

74. Ryan says:

Barcs: Something less than Taylor Hall.

Would try to work a deal around the 4th, Pouliot, GR or Yak.

If they asked for Draisaitl I would think long and hard about it.

Ideally, you’d keep all of Hall, McDavid, and Draisatl.

What I’d give up depends on whether you can trade for Faulk, or sign Demers etc.

If you can’t trade for Barrie, Hamonic, Faulk, or sign Demers, then the price you’re willing to pay for Lindholm goes up accordingly.

75. Diesel says:

I just spent three weeks touring Europe for my honeymoon and the only worry I had at any point was seeing a notification on my phone regarding a Hall trade.

Don’t blow this, Pete!

76. Магия 10 says:

Ryan: I know.I’m trying to coax him out of his apparent self-imposed exile.

Likely waiting for something to happen. This is the height of speculation season. High noise to signal for an analytics guy.

77. leeinvan says:

Didn’t see Larsson of New Jersey on the list. He would be a big up grade and the cost wouldn’t be Hall.

78. Barcs says:

Ryan,

Oh I agree, I’m not in a rush to trade any of the forwards at all.

I just really covet Lindholm and think it’s a great chance to grab a #1 D before he becomes “established” around the league.

I also think you could still cobble 3 scoring lines around Hall, McD and Nuge (similar to Pitt) if you had to.

79. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

leeinvan:

It would be pretty close to, if not Hall. The Larsson ship sailed 2 years ago, sadly. A few of us really wanted him then.

80. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Barcs:
    Ryan,

Oh I agree, I’m not in a rush to trade any of the forwards at all.

I just really cover Lindholm and think it’s a great chance to grab a #1 D before he becomes “established” around the league..

leeinvan:

I can’t find a reason for NJD to trade Larsson.

82. Ryan says:

Barcs:
    Ryan,

Oh I agree, I’m not in a rush to trade any of the forwards at all.

If the market for right shot dmen dries up completely (Hamonic, Demers, Faulk, Barrie, Vatanen..)

Then Bob Murray says how about Lindholm straight across for Hall, do you hang up the phone?

83. Barcs says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: I really do think most of the League is too smart NOT to be onto the fact that Lindholm is already a #1D and will get better. He is far ahead of where Larsson was, for example, when some of us were trying to trade for him to be future partner with Klef.

That’s fair. If Bob Murray feels the same way, then all of this is moot (or moo, if you prefer). Those aren’t the guys you trade.

I feel as though in reality the chances that Lindholm moves are between slim and none. It’ll be Fowler or Despres, unfortunately. Maybe Stoner if they can sweeten it enough.

84. Messier11edm says:

Am I crazy to think the best move is for the oilers to trade down and get an NHL player and draft a future #1D?

I don’t see any top pairing D coming free (yes, there are a number of 2nd and 3rd pairing Ds that may be available) and we could easily be dealing with the same issues 2-3 years from now. Am I wrong to think this?

85. Messier11edm says:

I have this funny feeling that the Vatinen signing combined with Murray’s comments, are pointing to an Oilers/Ducks trade that involves Lindholm and possibly Hall. I don’t know Lindholm well, would this be considered a good move for the oilers? Is he, or does he project to be a #1D?

86. Barcs says:

Ryan: Well, my point is that ideally you grab Lindholm while keeping McDavid and Hall…

Yourself?

87. Ryan says:

Messier11edm:
    I have this funny feeling that the Vatinen signing combined with Murray’s comments, are pointing to an Oilers/Ducks trade that involves Lindholm and possibly Hall.I don’t know Lindholm well, would this be considered a good move for the oilers? Is he, or does he project to be a #1D?

Yes, my reading of the tea leaves concurs.

88. Ryan says:

Barcs: I honestly don’t know. It would be close, but I think I would turn it down and then pursue a LHD like Campbell or Yandle via free agency. Even with the handedness info we have now.

Yourself?

It’s a tough one, but if I’m Chiarelli and my alternative is to field anything remotely like last year’s blue line, I probably take the deal.

I’d rather target a Faulk based on handedness and other factors….

But if my choice is last year’s blue line essentially or Hall for Lindholm…

89. square_wheels says:

Ryan,

It could be argued all,day if the emerging elite 1D is worth an elite 1LW.

For me it boils down to one differentiator.

One is rarely, if ever available once established while the other could be replaceable in free Agency with many years left of elite play.

Hall in our conference though ? God this is going to hurt.

90. Pescador says:

NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker":
    It’s the Flames looking to move up, not the Oilers looking to move down.Division rival that took Hamilton out from under our noses. I am not doing them any favours. The price should be dear for the Flames to move up.

Hamilton > Reinhart
    4th > 6th (but where there is seemingly a clear #4 prospect)

That’s very close to a fair trade. I would ask for at least one more good pick or good prospect. We are talking about Hamilton, who was obtained last year for a package that wasn’t that much better than the one used to get Reinhart. Yes, GR struggled, but Hamilton wasn’t exactly smelling of roses most of the year, either, and has a much higher cap hit.It’s not a perfect solution worth making this type of trade for without an additional kicker coming our way.

They’d have to give me another good piece at least for me to accept this trade.

Sounds good, I feel satisfied

91. gd says:

Is not the obvious trade for Anaheim; Fowler to Buffalo for Kane? I just can’t imagine either team wants to trade Hall or Lindholm within division.

92. Wonder Llama says:

Ryan,

Hall straight across, no adds either way. Wouldn’t want to give him up, but I don’t see ANA doing it for less. If it hurts both sides, the deal is probably Brimley.

93. Messier11edm says:

Would you agree with the following?

#1 Elite Goalie > #1 Elite Dman > #1 Elite Centre > #1 Elite Winger

square_wheels:
    Ryan,

It could be argued all,day if the emerging elite 1D is worth an elite 1LW.

For me it boils down to one differentiator.

Hall in our conference though ? God this is going to hurt.

94. square_wheels says:

Messier11edm,

The elite W I’m not 100% certain. I’d rather 2 elite C’s.

95. Ryan says:

Messier11edm:
    Would you agree with the following?

#1 Elite Goalie > #1 Elite Dman > #1 Elite Centre > #1 Elite Winger

Mostly for sure.

Hasek owned everyone back in the day.

Without Price, the Habs went from elite start to complete shit.

Crosby without Letang wouldn’t have a second cup.

Messier11edm:

Messier11edm:

I don’t see any top pairing D coming free (yes, there are a numberof 2nd and 3rd pairing Ds that may be available) and we could easily be dealing with the same issues 2-3 years from now. Am I wrong to think this?

I think the trade down might be for a pick, and that pick MIGHT help. It has been rumored that the Oilers were offered No. 7 and No. 20 for No. 4. If they picked Sergachev at No. 7 and then dealt No. 20 and something for Hamonic, I would consider that successful.

98. Ryan says:

Lowetide: I would consider it a justifiable move, which is different than saying I will love it.

99. slopitch says:

Hall for Lindholm, Rackell
    Nuge, Sekera, Yak for Subban
    Ebs for Hamonic
    Sign stamkos

Tkachuk – McD – Rackell
    Maroon – Stamkos – Drai

Lindholm – Subban
    Klef – Hamonic
    Nurse – Davidson

Work on the bottom 2 lines but giddy up! 🙂

I read the Anaheim gm comments as interested in hall too. If chai can get Lindholm without moving Hall he’s a magician.

100. theDjdj says:

NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker":

Hamilton > Reinhart
    4th > 6th (but where there is seemingly a clear #4 prospect)

Could you imagine if Chia managed to get Flames to retain salary on Hamilton in a Reinhart trade? It won’t happen, but could you imagine?! It would mean the Oilers effectively get the trade they wanted last year but were childishly denied, have the Flames do all the hard work in negotiating, and then pay to have him play against them a year later. The salt. These fantasies only ever build me up for disappointment.

101. theDjdj says:

slopitch:
    Hall for Lindholm, Rackell
    Nuge, Sekera, Yak for Subban
    Ebs for Hamonic
    Sign stamkos

Tkachuk – McD – Rackell
    Maroon – Stamkos – Drai

Lindholm – Subban
    Klef – Hamonic
    Nurse – Davidson

Work on the bottom 2 lines but giddy up!

That defense would ruin worlds

102. stevezie says:

Ryan: Vancouver’s the only team to come close to winning the cup without a number one d that I can recall… And they didn’t win it.

Other than the obvious and regrettable post-lockout example?

103. Wonder Llama says:

Ryan,

The Oilers are not a plane losing altitude, they’re a ship listing to port.

If Lindholm were a right shot would you do it?

104. square_wheels says:

Ryan,

I think the most important factor in successful teams is having an minute munching do anything 1D.

I’m just not sold that any team that’s had long term success in this league ranks a W at the top of their must keep list.

But one of the leagues best LW for a young D, bold move but might need to happen.

105. Gret99zky says:

square_wheels:

Me.

Hopefully Rory will pull off the win and get back into a championship fight. Very entertaining fighter.

Ryan: Trading Hall to fix the blue line rates right around grabbing for the oxygen mask when the plane you’re on is losing altitude.

Meh. Lindholm is a really good bet. If they dealt Hall for him, I suspect the world would end, but you could see what they were doing.

107. Pouzar says:

square_wheels:

MMA at it’s best.

108. square_wheels says:

Gret99zky,

Pouzar: MMA at it’s best.

The card has been fantastic so far, but the Rory/Wonderboy has me excited beyond any card in the past 50.

109. Ryan says:

Wonder Llama:
    Ryan,

The Oilers are not a plane losing altitude, they’re a ship listing to port.

If Lindholm were a right shot would you do it?

I already said that I would make the trade for a left shot Lindholm. 🙂

110. Pouzar says:

square_wheels:
    Gret99zky,

I got Wonderboy. If he wins this, can Lawler even hit this guy?
    Very impressive athlete.

111. Katz the Elder says:

More like ejecting the engine on the left wing of the plane in the hopes of regaining altitude.

Ceterum autem censeo @hallsyIV non vende

112. square_wheels says:

Even if we saw off the players statistically, having an elite D under control for likely 5+ years is worth it.

But the D handedness debate that would ensue might make Gmoney’s Taylor Haul hadron collider explode.

Since I live reasonably close to him, I don’t want the fallout to ruin my lawn.

113. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

Wonderboy is terrifying on his feet. Angles and kicks that few have answers for.

Still can’t believe Kimbo is gone.

114. Wonder Llama says:

Ryan,

Oops. (actual) Sorry.

So you assume our pilot Cpt. Chia levels us out.

Of course, acquiring Lindholm still doesn’t solve the 1RD issue and might necessitate trading Klef. Hate to see that dreamboat sail. Then you need Lucic (and I don’t like him – it’s petty but I just don’t) and the whole thing seems more trouble than it’s worth.

Can we please just magically sign Demers, Riemer, and hell, Teddy Purcell and be done with it?

115. jfry says:

hey lt,

i’d love if you did a blog (maybe just a response in the comments) about how your path from HF to now has gone. I’ve never been on HF so don’t know what your involvement was there, but have been reading this blog since the cup run. your commitment and hard work has forged a really interesting change in your career. it would sure be interesting to hear a little bit about that. we’ve all learned a lot about your family and home and dog when you decide to write more personal pieces, and they really help to bring us into your life.

i’d love to hear about how much time you devoted to this project 5 years ago, vs now and how it’s all come together for you. it’s a pretty interesting story and one i’m sure all the regulars here would love to hear about.

just my .02. have a great father’s day and i’m looking forward to hearing a story about your dad/son/family tomorrow.

cheers and thanks for this place, which for years has become the first and last url i go to everyday.

116. Pouzar says:

square_wheels:
    Pouzar,

Still can’t believe Kimbo is gone.

This Bosse fight is insane.

117. Barcs says:

jfry,

Hear, hear.

118. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

I missed the background on him but he’s a former hockey player ?

I listen to Joe Rogan live on all of these Fight Night’s, which is the basis for me pestering LT about his live show for Oilers games.

Joe bullshits with his buddies while watching the fight – usually joined by The Fighter and the Kid (Bryan Callen and Brendan Schaub), Eddie Bravo and random other guests.

119. Caramel Batman says:

I don’t want them to trade Hall, but at least if it is for Lindholm you can take the player they are getting to the bank. My fear is the dreaded 3 for 1.

But it’s all moot. I bet it’s Fowler that is traded out of Anaheim and the LW Murray is hinting at is Lucic.

As to the #4 + Reinhart for the #6 for Hamilton, that’s an incredibly lopsided trade for the Oilers. The kind of trade teams need to make to become good.

120. Pouzar says:

square_wheels:
    Pouzar,

I missed the background on him but he’s a former hockey player ?

Yeah he played is some semi-pro league in Quebec as an enforcer type.

Yeah I used to listen to Rogan all the time. Those live fight podcasts are awesome.

121. square_wheels says:

WHAT A FIGHT !!!

122. v4ance says:

Pierre LeBrun:

“July 1 used to be a crazy time where teams overpaid all of the time for UFAs to fill their holes. Last summer was not the case. That was real wallet-tightening because of the flat cap and a lot of players who were on the market were stunned that things didn’t work out like they normally do. I think we’re in for more of that this summer. I think that teams are going to be careful on how they spend.

I know Demers is the top RHD UFA target but I wonder if he will be accepting a final offer of only $5.25 million over 6 years.

Looking at the CHI-CAR salary dump deal as a weathervane, I wonder if we could get David Savard for just Musil/Oesterle and a 3rd rounder seeing how badly Columbus has managed their cap.

123. OilClog says:

square_wheels:
    OilClog,

Sober me – who the fuck eats those smokies from a Rona parking lot ?

No napkins required in any of the above scenarios.

made the mistake of Rona before lunch.

Bbq waves of flavour.

I had two if all truths are told.

No napkins, no guilt, my joints are sad.

This UFC card has been outstanding!

Can’t go against Rory, wonderboy is awesome but long live the Red King!

124. square_wheels says:

Pouzar

I’m firmly entrenched in the Rogan cult.

Now that he’s taken to hunting his podcast guests are even better.

125. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Honestly if Chia pulls off Rakell and Lindholm for Hall I am building a statue of Chia in the desert.

Hall = Lindholm.

I would be floored if Rakell came with. That would be one hell of a trade. And I love Hall.

126. OilClog says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”:

Hall = Lindholm.

I’d suggest a statue if he can Lindholm without Hall.

Imagine a team with McDavid, Lindholm, and Hall.

Dare to dream

127. stevezie says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

If he follows that up by swapping picks with Calgary in exchange for turning Reinhardt into Hamilton I’ll help you build it. I’m baffled you don’t think that’s enough of a win. A career best.

Hamilton’s “disappointing” season still saw him score 43 points.

128. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

stevezie:
    NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Hamilton’s “disappointing” season still saw him score 43 points.

Hey, it’s Calgary. fuck those guys.

Edit- that trade would not be on the table anyway.

129. stevezie says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

I think that trade does.
    Or it’s at least a win for us. At this point I’m more interested in helping Edmonton than hurting Calgary. Rather than getting them with a trade they wouldn’t accept, we’ll just get a good team and fuck them in person.

Of course, this whole discussion is fantasy.

130. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

stevezie,

Yeah well there are two teams that I will not have any rationality in fantasy trading with. Calgary is one.

I think it’s moot. I don’t see Hamilton on the table.

I think Treliving sees how scarce RHD are.

I could see Backlund + 6th overall + next year’s 1st for 3rd + Hartnell or something like that. Calgary takes Puljujarvi.

Columbus gets Brown and a stop-gap in Backlund until Brown is ready and gets another first next year.

Steep price for Calgary.

131. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

Cowboy Cerrone looked phenomenal !

132. jm363561 says:

slopitch:
    Hall for Lindholm, Rackell
    Nuge, Sekera, Yak for Subban
    Ebs for Hamonic
    Sign stamkos

Tkachuk – McD – Rackell
    Maroon – Stamkos – Drai

Lindholm – Subban
    Klef – Hamonic
    Nurse – Davidson

Work on the bottom 2 lines but giddy up!

And if things get a bit quiet relocate the club to Cleveland.

Man, I wish something would actually happen. I feel like I’m in a parallel universe.

133. prairieschooner says:

Chia has a lot of things to solve.
    His first objective is to get some major pieces of the puzzle without giving up any of his major pieces
    Perhaps drafting a #1 Dman while buying a year with some stop gap upgrades a la Brian Boyle
    Can he buy his way out of trouble? maybe,but there may not be any dance partners.
    Any significant trade is going to be very risky and has to be a clear win for the Oilers

134. Chris says:

This has to be the least exciting title eliminator fight I’ve seen. Thompson is apparently the even more boring welterweight version of Machida, dancing around and point fighting.

135. Gret99zky says:

Wow. So jacked about the MacDonald fight only to see one of the most disappointing and action-less displays ever.

136. dustrock says:

In what world would we have to add to Hall to get Subban? Should ask for Montreal to hold $1.5m of his deal if we trade Hall.

People can talk about the world ending if we trade Hall, but the code blue reality is that Edmonton was 29th again and last in D points by about a jillion for the 10th year in a row.

Sure but Sekera, Klefbom and Davidson will mind the gap.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

137. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

prairieschooner,

Think you mean Dan Boyle unless you plan to have a Brent Burns style conversion, only 4C to bottom pairing D. 😉

138. commonfan14 says:

At this time last year, could you have traded Jultz for Ghostisbere and a pick, and Fayne for Parayko and a pick?

I mean – it’s possible, right?

I wonder what we’ll look back on a year from now as the big missed opportunities.

139. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

commonfan14:

I mean – it’s possible, right?

Ghost was a pretty famous prospect already then. I am going to say no to that. Parayko…ehhh.. St Louis had Shattenkirk and Pietro right side. Not much need for Fayne at his cap hit.

But let’s play along. Who, this year, is your target for this sort of fleecing?

140. YKOil says:

I remain convinced that the path to success for the Oilers is to remain patient. It appears RHD have become the new ‘must have’ for all GM’s everywhere. The obvious gets remain Demers (UFA) and Savard (CBJ cap-hell).

Outside of that I see a couple of paths forward using Yakupov as the trade piece (pick one):

To Montreal:

Juulsen and Minnesota 2016 2nd (#45) FOR Yakupov and Pittsburgh 2016 3rd (#91)

To Buffalo:

Pysyk and Minnesota 2016 3rd (#76) FOR Yakupov

Savard-Fayne-Pysyk is light-years ahead of last years RHD group if that is the line-up out of training camp.

I also think they should sign Clendening; guy will come in at less than a $1 million a yr for 2 or 3 and at that price the depth is more that worth it – especially since you can bury him in the minors to alleviate (the vast majority) of the cap hurt if you need to.

Here is the big question – what do you add to Nurse to get Ristolainen?

141. AsiaOil says:

I wanted him during his draft year. Had some pretty spirited debates with Bruce who was/is a big RNH fan. I said Larsson would be a #1 D while RNH looked to be shy of offense for a #1 C. Bruce won that argument pretty handily for a few years but I’m closing fast these days. Larsson is now likely worth as much or more than RNH.

Lowetide: I can’t find a reason for NJD to trade Larsson.

142. theDjdj says:

AsiaOil:

Market worth is not equal to contribution to the team.

143. v4ance says:

AsiaOil:

The problem with this 20/20 hindsight is there is no way to quantify how we would have developed Larsson. We might have dropped the ball just as badly as we did for Yak or we could have expedited his growth or vise versa for Nuge in NJ.

I was a Larsson booster before the draft as well but he’s had a pretty shaky first 3 years. If he’d been in Edmonton, he could have been Petry’ed too….

144. russ99 says:

prairieschooner:
    Chiahas a lot of things to solve.
    Any significanttrade is going to be very risky and has to be a clear win for the Oilers

That’s just not realistic.

As options get less and less, the prices get higher and higher, and free agency doesn’t work in a vacuum, other teams will be offering as much or more than we will. And let’s face it, McDavid only levels the playing field, as Edmonton is still not a preferred destination for players other than those with roots here.

Chia needs to bite the bullet and do something major at or before the draft, then he can fill in pieces at FA, whom he can start talking to the day after the draft.

If we get to July 1st with nothing done and the 4th round pick kept, that really limits what we can do, and chances are we’re still a lottery team next year.

This team badly needs some bold actions to get better.

145. prairieschooner says:

You are making my point
    I agree it is not easy for Chia
    Rather than going whale hunting for a solution he has to explore improving the team with solid lesser solutions that will not be a step backwards first
    Get good players keep good players