A BIG RED BEACON, A FLAG, AND A MAN ON A RAIL

By this time next week, Edmonton’s skill lines for 2016-17 may be populated by two actual giants. For some reason that God only knows (well, God and Jarmo), Edmonton received the mannish boy Jesse Puljujarvi at the draft—and may grab another giant exactly seven days later. Free agency doesn’t hit until Friday, but a good guess has Edmonton in the mix for Milan Lucic—with an incumbent LW heading out of town, possibly for defensive help.

I know many Oilers fans are not high on this idea and for me there is every chance the Oilers slide out of the Lucic conversation early. It sounds like free-agent prices at the top end are going to be nutty—and Chiarelli must keep his options open for that big contract 97 will be signing next year. Still, when it comes it comes to Lucic rumors, seems the entire town’s eyes have a mist from the smoke of a distant fire.

puljujarvi capture 2

IS PULJUJARVI NHL-READY?

Jesse Puljujarvi is a physically mature teenager and he romped against competition near his own age in 2015-16. The young man played in the Sm-Liiga but the TOI and feature offensive roles went to others. His boxcars and NHLE do not suggest a tremendous offensive season should be expected, but the equivalency does not take into account that we are dealing with a gifted youngster. We have (or I have found) very little info on his Sm-Liiga season—although he did go 16, 4-4-8 at the start of the season with 14:38 a night. That works out to 2.05 points-per-60 if my addiator is working.

The Oilers do have the option of sending him to Bakersfield for part or all of the year—and that would also help the bonus issue—so there are options. Could he score 20 goals next season? Will he play 30 games in Bakersfield?

LAURI KORPIKOSKI

This could be a helluva life line for Lauri Korpikoski. The veteran winger is a possession demon (the bad kind) but Edmonton might be tempted to keep him around for the year. Coach McLellan certainly used him in lots of situations. Iiro Pakarinen may also benefit, but I have never felt his job was in any jeopardy.

benson capture1

NHL DRAFT ODDITIES, VOLUME ONE

One of the fun things I do every year (for me, at least) is go back and see what players passed through the draft from my list. As I have a very specific list, it usually goes off the rails in the 40s, and this year followed form:

• No. 37—G Veini Vehvilainen, JYP (Fin 2).
  • No. 38—R Maxime Fortier, Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL).
  • No. 40—L Vladimir Kuznetsov, Acadie-Bathurst Titan (QMJHL)
  • No. 45—L Kyle Maksimovich, Erie Otters (OHL)

A year ago, the the top five players who were in my top 100 and not drafted:

• No. 48C Nathan Noel, Saint John Sea Dogs (QMJHL) No. 113 to Chicago.
  • No. 67L Vladimir Tkachev, Quebec Remparts (QMJHL) Undrafted.
  • No. 74— G Michael McNiven, Owen Sound Attack (OHL) Undrafted.
  • No. 75— C Tyler Soy, Victoria Royals (WHL) No. 205 to Anaheim.
  • No. 84— C Dante Salituro, Ottawa 67’s (OHL). Undrafted.

Two names from last year went this time around, and we may see that happen again in 2016. Edmonton drafted Finns by the dozen on the weekend, shame they could not find a spot for that goaler.

BOB MCKENZIE AND THE OILERS LIST

• No. 84 overall Matthew Cairns—Not ranked
  • No. 91 Filip Berglund—Not ranked
  • No. 123 Dylan Wells—Button rank No. 88
  • No. 149 Graham McPhee—Not ranked
  • No. 153 Aapeli Rasanen—Button rank No. 52
  • No. 183 Vincent Desharnais—Not ranked

Interesting rankings from both men and (as was the case last season) Button and the Oilers seem to have agreed on a lot during this draft. In fact, Button has Dylan Wells—the subject of much conversation among Oilers fans—inside his top 100. He liked Stampede Rasanen, too.

musil williams 1

Photo by Mark Williams

RFA AND QUALIFYING OFFERS

Most of the Oilers RFAs for this summer have been signed, but there are a few decisions to be made:

• Oscar Klefbom, signed a long-term deal in September 2015.
  • Brandon Davidson, signed an extension in February.
  • Laurent Brossoit, signed an extension in February.
  • Zack Kassian, signed an extension in May.
  • Tyler Pitlick, signed an extension in June.
  • Jordan Oesterle, signed an extension in June.
  • Iiro Pakarinen, decision to be made today.
  • Adam Clendening, decision to be made today.
  • David Musil, decision to be made today.
  • Luke Gazdic, decision to be made today.
  • Kale Kessy, decision to be made today.

Peter Chiarelli was not here on the day David Musil was drafted, but he did claim Adam Clendening on waivers. No idea what that means, but we will find out today. The Oilers are at 40 contracts with one slider (Caleb Jones), so adding all five RFAs would put the team at 44 contracts—a very manageable total. Pakarinen is a lock to stay, the others are in limbo this morning.

POSSIBLE RFA ADDITIONS

Teams have to decide all across the NHL today, about who to qualify and who to walk—or trade. Among the players who might have interest to the Oilers:

• RD Colin Miller, Boston. He has been on my acquisition D list all along, doubt the Bruins make him available.
  • C Zemgus Girgensons, Buffalo. Interest option, surprised he is available. A unique skill set who matches a Chiarelli team.
  • RD Ryan Murphy, Carolina. Perhaps the most intriguing name on this list.
  • RHC Mark McNeill, Chicago. Long discussed as an option, Chicago does not appear to view him as a solution. Could the Oilers grab him today?
  • RD Tyson Barrie, Colorado. A very nice fit if he shakes loose, the cheapness of ownership may mean a get out of Denver afternoon for Barrie.
  • RD Seth Jones, Columbus. They passed on JP, traded Rychel for a paltry sum, but losing Jones is impossible. Still, he is vulnerable to an offer sheet, one wonders if Kekalainen is in a trading mood.
  • RD Matt Dumba, Minnesota. An interesting name, but as was the case a year ago with Griffin Reinhart, important to acquire a plug and play top 4D.
  • R Ryan Strome, NY Islanders. He is not what the team thought he would be, but first rounders and the Islanders do not have a strong track record together. Could he blossom in a new city?
  • RD Cody Ceci, Ottawa. He has had an uneven career, but this is a talented NHL player. Does the new Ottawa management believe he is a big part of the future?
  • LC Peter Holland, Toronto. Checking center might be a reasonable option for an area of need.
  • RD Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg. Giant price tag, he could solve some problems.

balance222

BALANCE

Hall, Nuge and Ebs have been the face of the Oilers for a long time, and I sincerely hope all three men are back in action this fall. Peter Chiarelli will have a good idea about Milan Lucic and Jason Demers by now, and I think we have a reasonable idea about how this might turn out.

• Lucic—McDavid—Eberle
  • Pouliot—Nuge—PA Parenteau
  • Maroon—Draisaitl—Jesse Puljujarvi
  • Hendricks—Letestu—Kassian
  • Klefbom—P.K. Subban*
  • Sekera—Fayne
  • Nurse—Davidson
  • Talbot, Brossoit

I know. I know you do not like it. It is noxious, acidic, unacceptable. You know what? I hate it, too. You know what else? That is closer to the balance photo than what the Oilers have deployed since 2006 summer. Seriously. Brace yourself, I think this could turn out in a way that is going to hurt like hell.

*I am using Subban as an example, not suggesting he is the target. I honestly do not know the target, but if the fall back is Jason Demers we have to be talking about a Subban, Shattenkirk, Hamonic calibre option.

300 Responses to "A BIG RED BEACON, A FLAG, AND A MAN ON A RAIL"

« Older Comments
  1. Ducey says:

Pouzar:
    Chiasson To Flames

But you said at 12:30 he was not qualified!

I am starting to believe you are not an insider.

2. Pouzar says:

Ducey: But you said at 12:30 he was not qualified!

He wasn’t.

3. Woogie63 says:

If you had to do the right thing for player development, what would you do with;

Puljajarvi – AHL until Christmas and then re-look
    Nurse – AHL until Christmas and then re-look
    Reinhart – 5-6 NHL Defenseman
    Khaira – 4th line winger or 13th forward
    Slepyshev – 13/14 forward
    Benson – get him traded to Seattle

4. Ducey says:

Pouzar: He wasn’t.

Then how could he be traded? He would be a UFA, wouldn’t he?

5. Gret99zky says:

kinger_OIL,

What date was the poll posted? I want to go back and check my answers. Thanks

6. AsiaOil says:

I think I may have to light incense and make offerings to thank Columbus for a month 🙂

Todd Macallan:
    Off topic, but great video: http://yle.fi/urheilu/3-8530260

Puju vs. Laine in an accuracy contest, fun watch.

7. Oilspill says:

Demers and Hamonic. Chances are about 10% that we get one. We might end up with Gryba signed and Fayne the #7.

8. LMHF#1 says:

Woogie63:

Benson – get him traded to Seattle

Why would you not get him for the Oil Kings?

Pouzar:
    I have a weird feeling about Peter Angelo in St Louis. Just a feeling.

Never heard of Angelo.

Does he know Pietrangelo?

: )

10. LOObird says:

This theoretical Hall trade is pissing me off.

Can we win a Hall trade? Yes.
    Will we win a Hall trade? No.

We need to stop saying we win the trade if it’s Hall going out and Lucic, Hamonic, Strome, Dal Colle, and a 2017 1st for two reasons.

A. Hall is not being traded for Lucic. Lucic can come play for the Oilers regardless of whether or not Hall is traded. He does not count as part of the return.

B. We will not be receiving Hamonic, Strome, Dal Colle, and a 2017 1st in a potential trade. I would be shocked if the Islanders gave up that much and even if they did I still don’t consider that a win. That’s one good player and 3 maybe somedays.

If this trade happens its probably Hamonic, Strome, and Dal Colle/ 2017 draft pick that’s not a first.

Stop trying to convince yourself this is a good idea.

11. Evilas says:

Jaxon,

I asked Swedish Oil about him a few weeks ago. He has skating issues.

I don’t think he can be signed until after age 20. Think of Tkachev and how even though he played in NA, but was undrafted, he had played in Europe.

See excerpt below:

8.9 Eligibility for Play in the League. No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he:
    … had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:
    … had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL try-out form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season).
    … The words “the prior season”… above mean “a full season prior to the last Entry Draft.

He could be signed to an AHL contract though….

12. Diesel says:

Woodguy: Never heard of Angelo.

Does he know Pietrangelo?

: )

We need both!

13. Pouzar says:

Ducey: Then how could he be traded? He would be a UFA, wouldn’t he?

I am no expert on these things but he was traded before being qualified and just signed a deal with CAL for 800k which is under the $1.2 mil QO *shrug*

14. kinger_OIL says:

Gret99zky:
    kinger_OIL,

What date was the poll posted?I want to go back and check my answers.Thanks

– awesome! I cut and pasted them all though, so no going back to update! Woodguy after pool-partee was called was preening about how he called it: he didn’t!

– Amazing that only 2 of us called it: the top-3 were so consensus, plus Columbus GM a Finn…

15. McSorley33 says:

Woodguy,

I do.

How do you think it worked out for the Edmonton Oilers?

16. Pouzar says:

So MTL will enter chase for Stamkos eh?
    hmmmmm….

17. Gret99zky says:

kinger_OIL,

Okay. The date?

18. Pouzar says:

Pat Wiercioch unlikely to be Qualified by OTT.

19. Ducey says:

LMHF#1: Why would you not get him for the Oil Kings?

20. kinger_OIL says:

Gret99zky:
    kinger_OIL,

Okay.The date?

– Not sure: I posted it for at least a few days in a row, maybe a month back?

– I wish there was a function where one could do a “search” and see all their posts

21. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Pouzar:
    So MTL will enter chase for Stamkos eh?
    hmmmmm….

That has been out there a while. Probably part of the Subban thinking, although to me they should keep Subban. Stamkos-Subban-Price.

22. LMHF#1 says:

Ducey: I think the idea would be to get him on a stronger team. The Oil Kings are on the rebuild.

I’ve never understood not leveraging a junior team you own to develop your prospects.

Seems like the first thing to do with it.

23. Richard S.S. says:

Woogie63,

Seattle has a Team?

24. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Pouzar:
    Pat Wiercioch unlikely to be Qualified by OTT.

Let’s add to the bottom pair leftorium depth…said no one ever.

25. Pouzar says:

Man has Pat Wiercioch ever been weighed down by Ceci. Great numbers without him.
    Can’t stay healthy though.

26. vinotintazo says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Let’s add to the bottom pair leftorium depth…said no one ever.

No more LHD pleaaase.

27. Магия 10 says:

Richard S.S.:
    Woogie63,

Seattle has a Team?

Ethan Bear, Some guy I never heard of called Barzal.

kinger_OIL: – awesome!I cut and pasted them all though, so no going back to update!Woodguy after pool-partee was called was preening about how he called it: he didn’t!

This is true.

I called CBJ seriously considering Dubois, but I didn’t have him in your poll.

What date was your poll?

I linked to my musing about CBJ in the thread the next day.

I think it was after your poll.

29. speeds says:

If Nurse and/or Reinhart is/are moved for a RH D, you look at him then?

30. Pouzar says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Uncle!

I would be shocked if Jets weren’t all over this.

31. kinger_OIL says:

Woodguy: This is true.

I called CBJ seriously considering Dubois, but I didn’t have him in your poll.

What date was your poll?

I linked to my musing about CBJ in the thread the next day.

I think it was after your poll.

– That’s good hedging: “no I didn’t call it there, but did elsewhere”

Just busting your chops: you picked Juolevi by the way (he was picked by a few)

McSorley33:
    Woodguy,

I do.

How do you think it worked out for the Edmonton Oilers?

What exactly do you think I am saying?

You said: “Only in an Oiler blog would Fayne go from the press box and the minors right back to a top 4 D role.”

I pointed you that you missed the step where he played on the top pairing for ~35 games after he got back from the minors: “You know he played top pair with Sekera for the last 35 games or so right?”

Now you say you did know.

I don’t get it.

Also,

Maybe you missed my 59083463466236123451234534 posts about the Oilers needing to upgrade their RHD, or maybe you missed the last 12 posts on my blog (http://becauseoilers.blogspot.ca/) dedicated to…..

wait for it…….

FINDING BETTER RIGHT HAND GODDAM DMEN FOR THIS GODDAM TEAM!!!!!!

33. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

speeds: If Nurse and/or Reinhart is/are moved for a RH D, you look at him then?

But from what we are told thinga have gone from the Oilers saying no to Nurse for Hamonic to the Oilers offering Hall for Hamonic, all because he rescinded his request! (I believe neither rumour fully by the way. Has to be more to it).

kinger_OIL: – That’s good hedging: “no I didn’t call it there, but did elsewhere”

Just busting your chops: you picked Juolevi by the way (he was picked by a few)

Hehe.

That’s the hubbub now, that they were going to take Juolevi before JP dropped.

35. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Just busting your chops: you picked Juolevi by the way (he was picked by a few)

Perfect hedging (I did it too. June 23- Jarmo takes CLB, fucks up the Subban trade, JP falls to Oil). Also not in the poll where I was way off on everything because I thought the Oil would trade out of 4th.

36. RexLibris says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: If Nurse would still get me Hamonic, at this stage there are so many lefty options out there I would probably just do it at this point.

But from what we are told thinga have gone from the Oilers saying no to Nurse for Hamonic to the Oilers offering Hall for Hamonic, all because he rescinded his request! (I believe neither rumour fullyby the way. Has to be more to it).

37. Shizuka says:

Can anyone clarify what Stauffer said on his show this afternoon? I think that’s where alot of the anxiety is stemming from correct?

38. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

RexLibris: If I thought Nurse alone or as the centerpiece of a deal would get us Hamonic I’d be sending Chiarelli candygrams every hour on the hour.

ahem…

like I said, I don’t fully believe either story but Friedman said it.

39. RandomPoster says:

Woodguy: Also,

Lies, damn lies, and statistics!

40. OF17 says:

Iceland has done it! Eliminates England 2-1 to move to the quarterfinals. Incredible result, one of the biggest upsets in recent memory.

41. Richard S.S. says:

Shizuka,

If you have a App Store on your phone, get the Podcast App and from that App download Oilers Now with Bob Stauffer, the download his podcasts; or, download the 630 Ched App and listen to the show noon-two Edmonton time.

42. RandomPoster says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: Perfect hedging (I did it too.

43. Pajamah says:

OF17:

Here’s the thing. It is an upset, in that, the better team lost.

However…..

Us Oiler fans surely have been beaten down for the last 10 seasons. It’s nothing compared to an English soccer fan. Imagine Canada finishing 9th in the World Cup this season, and every single Gord damned tournament your entire life.

44. Water Fire says:

So Chiarelli wants to trade his Porsche 959 for three vintage Camaros, and then wants to race them.

0-60 in 3.6 is all you need to know.

45. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Obviously you don’t know what hedging your bets means. It means I was wrong. Second time in a week you have come after me. Go find another hobby.

46. Woogie63 says:

LMHF#1: Why would you not get him for the Oil Kings?

Would play with Bear and Barzal which would not hurt …

If Chia has these two options:

1) Nurse for Hamonic

2) Hall for a RHD better than Hamonic

…and he picks option 2 I can’t say I agree with that at all.

48. Oilspill says:

Wow ever WATCH Wiercioch and Ceci? Again numbers are inverse of what really is true. Wiercioch weighs down everyone on that team. Good vision weak skater and weaker yet defensively. Ceci is stronger and faster yet might not have the vision.

Pouzar:
    Can’t stay healthy though.

49. JDï™ says:

Pajamah: If like me, you’ve followed English soccer for the last 30 years, it certainly isn’t unexpected.

And it’s a Euro championship, so England probably didn’t want to be there.

50. speeds says:

Sounds like Paliotta (young RH D) and Connolly (RW, Chia already traded for him once) haven’t received their QO’s, wonder if the Oilers look at either, or both, or them?

If I’m either player, EDM seems like a pretty decent destination assuming they are offering you a remotely comparable contract???

As per Gregor’s twitter:

Oilers do not qualify Gazdic, Clendenning, Kessy and Lundstrom

Its now official.

The Tamblow duo pissed away NHLer Reider for nothing other than paying Kessy to hit things in the minors for a couple years.

52. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    If Chia has these two options:

1) Nurse for Hamonic

2) Hall for a RHD better than Hamonic

…and he picks option 2 I can’t say I agree with that at all.

We have to start disagreeing on things or this is going to get weird.

53. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

RandomPoster,

Also that quote is yours, not mine.
    You may have attempted to paraphrase my belief that CLB would trade down from 3 if they wanted a C, which is what Kekalainen tried to do before Chia backed off.

So I was wrong. Happy to be wrong. Do you have anything to actually contribute?

54. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Woodguy:
    If Chia has these two options:

1) Nurse for Hamonic

2) Hall for a RHD better than Hamonic

…and he picks option 2 I can’t say I agree with that at all.

Friedman quote about Nurse was from late November. Things probably changed on both sides.

55. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    As per Gregor’s twitter:

Oilers do not qualify Gazdic, Clendenning, Kessy and Lundstrom

Its now official.

Do you think we could throw that rumoured $100K signing bonus Chayka’s way and he’d send us back Rieder? Maybe adjust for inflation?

56. Chachi says:

Water Fire:

0-60 in 3.6 is all you need to know.

Are we talking vintage as in a 1969 Camaro SS or the piece of crap ’86 Berlinetta with leaky t-tops I had?

57. Ben says:

So if we assume entry level deals, how many contracts out of 50 are we at?

58. Drew says:

Shizuka:

something about planting a lot of trees and him not having talent, ability, skill, etc lol!
    i like his show by the way.

59. Магия 10 says:

Woodguy:
    As per Gregor’s twitter:

Oilers do not qualify Gazdic, Clendenning, Kessy and Lundstrom

Its now official.

Edmonton OilersVerified account
    ‏@EdmontonOilers
    The #Oilers have issued a qualifying offer to defenceman David Musil. Full details: http://oilers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=47034

60. Soup Fascist says:

The Copper and Blue post about packaging Savard and a bad contract (Hartnell) is interesting.

Savard would be a good get on a decent contract. If you could find a way to shed Hartnell (assuming he waives his current NMC) before having to re-up McDavid it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world. The cost would likely not be prohibitive (Pouliot??) and you have added, IMO a better D man than Demers for less money.

Columbus saves $5M in net salary. Gets rid of an albatross.

I know Hartnell is playing the back nine in his career, but is he a huge drop off from Pouliot?

61. Pajamah says:

Soup Fascist:

Columbus saves $5M in net salary. Gets rid of an albatross.

I believe the article suggested moving Fayne.

You don’t need to give up anything. It’s basically the Teravainen/Bickell deal.

Give up Savard to get rid of Hartnell. Fayne is probably an overpay, but the Oilers would need to send contract back to fit both players in.

62. Soup Fascist says:

Pajamah: I believe the article suggested moving Fayne.

You don’t need to give up anything. It’s basically the Teravainen/Bickell deal.

I suggested Pouliot because I don’t think we need to spend $4 million on a 3rd or 4th line LW which could be the case if Pou and Hartnell are both here. Unless of course you can move Pou in a package for another useful piece.

I am reluctant to get rid of Fayne until we find 3 better RHS defencemen.

63. Ducey says:

Ben:
    So if we assume entry level deals, how many contracts out of 50 are we at?

They are currently at 42 contracts, with one likely to slide. So 41.

64. Thor762 says:

OF17:

It was an amazing effort from the Icelanders. English commentators were saying it’s the more horrific result for England since losing to the USA 1-0 in the 1951 Brazil world cup.

Now France will try to stand in Iceland’s path. Áfram Ísland!

65. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Avs to buy out Brad Stuart. He played 71 games for them. Will be paid 9.6m dollars for that. Also he was a 35+ so they get no cap relief, only real dollar relief.

66. Revolved says:

LT, to expand on whether Puljujarvi is NHL ready I Extracted the juicy bits from the link I posted on him (http://canucksarmy.com/2016/4/14/a-tale-of-two-finns-patrik-laine-vs-jesse-puljujarvi):

Stat from SmLiiga 2015-16 seasons: Puljujarvi – Laine
    ESP/60: 2.64 – 3.03
    ESShots/60: 6.93 – 10.12
    Corsi%: 57.5 – 53.3
    ESTOI: 13 – 14

This doesn’t answer the question, but does show him to have held his own against men. I’d like him in the AHL to start.

67. RexLibris says:

Brandon Pirri cut loose by ANA.

Wonder if Chiarelli looks at him as an option?

68. kinger_OIL says:

Revolved,

– Except maybe the 9-game start, there is no way that it makes sense for a 18 year old, coming off an injury, who has never played in North America, to be pencilled in to start next year on this team

– We need to stop giving at-bats in the bigs for development purposes.

– My only caveat for this is if he plays a 3rd line sheltered role with two awesome vets, and is not expected to contribute: But if that’s the case, he’s better off developing in the AHL for at least a good chunk of the season

– I’ve said it before, and the hockey community has said it as well: it would be so Edmonton Oilers to start the kid in the NHL…

69. AsiaOil says:

Soup Fascist,

Sure I’d do that deal – but for me – Eberle is still the obvious move.

Seems to be a disconnect in these parts. Eberle is viewed as a valuable and indispensable part of the team – but – Eberle cannot generate any kind of decent return in a trade for a dman so we need to trade Hall/RNH?. That’s crazy. So which is it? Ebs is valuable and indispensable – or is he dispensable and not that valuable? He’s still trade-able even at the $6 million price but you are only going to get a guy like Severson in return from an offensively challenged team with cap space because Ebs is in no way a bargain at his price point. That is a sensible trade for both teams at this point even though some EDM fans would be incensed.

Klef Sekera
    Davidson Severson
    Nurse Fayne Gryba

Davidson-Severson is dangerous due to depth issues but could in fact be a legit 2nd pair by the trade deadline. We would need some luck in terms of health though. I would be temped to trade Reinhart for a decent vet RW like Smith to partially replace Eberle and give JP time to develop. Keep Yak for 2RW. Get the top pair RHD next summer after the expansion draft. I’m wary of Demers unless the price is less than $5 million without NMC.

70. Younger Oil says:

RexLibris:
    Brandon Pirri cut loose by ANA.

Wonder if Chiarelli looks at him as an option?

I think you’d be dumb not to kick tires if he’s cheap.

Could probably put up 40 points if he stays healthy.

71. AsiaOil says:

So we ended up keeping Pitlick, Oesterle. Musil, Pak and cut the rest loose. All sensible decisions.

72. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

AsiaOil,

So we’re adding Severson to the D in that scenario. Just Severson.

Respectfully, we came in 29th last year. Again. With a new goalie and our forwards.

Injuries, sure. But 29th.

Severson doesn’t fix the D. No way no how.

Don’t care if we over pay a bit, I’m not watching these guys struggle through another lost season. Enough is enough.

73. Магия 10 says:

AsiaOil:

Of course it’s the RD prospect Bear that is hardest (slowest) to sign.

74. Zelepukin says:

Healy getting fired is the best news so far this off-season.

75. Richard S.S. says:

Jesse Puljujarvi was, by all scouts, a ready-to-play Draft Pick. It’s very highly possible his RH shot will be needed. Try to refrain from arguing about his disposition unless we know what Chiarelli does and might be planning.

76. Ducey says:

Younger Oil: I think you’d be dumb not to kick tires if he’s cheap.

Could probably put up 40 points if he stays healthy.

He has now gone thru 3 organizations and could have been qualified for about a $1 M. Buyer beware.

77. RandomPoster says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”: RandomPoster: Yes. Right after you told everyone that Jesse was not going to fall to us so “STOP Discussing the possibility!!!”

My apologies. I’m not trying to offend.
    The “Yes” part of my comment was me agreeing that you were hedging.
    I just found it funny that you would “hedge” after saying Puljujarvi would not fall to the Oilers so there is no point it.
    Edit.
    No point in discussing it.

78. square_wheels says:

Chachi,

Same question from me because burnout’s in a 69 SS trump the Porsche all day, everyday.

79. OF17 says:

Pajamah: Here’s the thing. It is an upset, in that, the better team lost.

However…..

80. thurmtim says:

AsiaOil:

Er hsd H.O.P.E. Now we have Pitlick, Oesterle, Musil and Pskarinen…. P.O.M.P….. And circumstance?

81. thurmtim says:

Forgive my selectively dyslexic typing! Small phone, big fingers and autocorrect are a bad combination.

82. JDï™ says:

Zelepukin:
    Healy getting fired is the best news so far this off-season.

Wait – Damien Cox and Healy won’t be back?

That’s jig-worthy.

83. Pajamah says:

OF17: English football is nowhere near the quality that Canadian hockey is. England is more like Slovakian hockey in my view. One of the top grouping of nations but just barely. I know England wants to be more, but I just don’t see it.

They have Slovakian like finishes, but they shouldn’t. They should absolutely be top 3 in Europe. They should compete with Brazil, Argentina, Portugal, and Germany.
    I understand the irony in saying that they’re better than their finishes, but I believe it completely.

84. Chachi says:

square_wheels:
    Chachi,

Right?

85. Showerhead says:

Pajamah: I’m willing to concede that England isn’t the best, but they should be able to compete. The best professional league is in England.

Edit: it turns out that by “half” I mean 68.0%!!

I think your point is made – that England’s results aren’t a fair match for the quality you see in them – but your example isn’t fair to Canada’s hockey status.

86. Shau-co says:

We can’t afford to attempt to patch the defense again by only adding Savard, Severson or Demers. We have significant forward depth and a real opportunity to trade for need and bring in that No. 1 or No. 2 Dman.

It’s actually great timing in a way that they’ve been able to talk to Lucic already and have a good sense whether he’s signing here before other teams know. Now they can dangle a high-end LW for a top Dman.

if Chia decides to trade Hall for a better Dman than the secondary options, I can respect and get behind that decision.

Revolved:

Stat from SmLiiga 2015-16 seasons: Puljujarvi – Laine
    ESP/60: 2.64 – 3.03
    ESShots/60: 6.93 – 10.12
    Corsi%: 57.5 – 53.3
    ESTOI: 13 – 14

Fantastic. Thank you SO much!

88. Pajamah says:

Showerhead: How many relevant hockey leagues are there – one? Canada supplies half of its players. Even if you concede England as a top 3 team in Europe (which I don’t), comparing England’s placement to Canada’s is simply not an adequate representation of Canadian hockey.

And I didn’t say English soccer is comparable to Canadian hockey. I said it would be as if Canada finished 9th for 30 years straight.

89. Doug McLachlan says:

Looks like the Bruins sent out Qualifying Offers on Krug an Miller. Not surprising but, you know, hope and all.

A bit of a surprise that they didn’t qualify either Brett Connolly or Landon Ferraro.

90. Showerhead says:

Pajamah: Nor do I. I’m saying they should be. They have the talent and developmental leagues to be top 3. They spend the money on the sport like a top 3 country should.

Edit to add link to my 1/3 number: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3224835/Premier-League-Nations-England-lead-way-s-international-league-21-Dutchmen-Kenyan-midfielder-winger-Gambia.html

91. thehop says:

As a total aside from the current commentary….. I’m sure most folks will appreciate that Glenn Healy got cut from the Hockey Night in Canada broadcast…. Thank phuck for that….more Friedman please

92. thehop says:

JDï™,

Beat me to it…. Prick

93. Pajamah says:

Showerhead: Do they though? (Have the talent and the leagues, I mean?) Only 1/3 of Premier League players are English. I don’t doubt the budget or the passion but it may be that there are so many other footballing nations in Europe and the rest of the world that England has landed reasonably close to where it should.

England and its fans have a right to be upset about these outcomes. They constantly get to the big stage and completely fuck it up. It is a frustrating certainty.

I come to expect it, and it crushes my soul a little bit every time it happens.

Like the Oilers. They should be better.

94. JDï™ says:

square_wheels:
    Chachi,

Because spinning your wheels and wasting resources, while getting nowhere, is just so Oilers.

95. Pouzar says:

mmmmmmmmkay

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun Jun 24
    Once the Flames get their goalie, I like that team so much. Playoff-bound for sure next year in my opinion

96. Pajamah says:

Pouzar:
    mmmmmmmmkay

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrunJun 24

A “for sure” seems like a large chance he ends the season with his foot in his mouth.

That said, they were killed by goaltending last season, and somehow PDO’d their way to the second round the year prior. They’re likely somewhere in the middle (that is how you hedge a bet)

I don’t hate their chances, just their team, city, fans, name, colors, and anything loosely associated with southern AB.

97. CalVag says:

Pajamah:

Ha. Hahaha. Hahahahaha.

98. Jaxon says:

Evilas:
    Jaxon,

I asked Swedish Oil about him a few weeks ago.He has skating issues.

I don’t think he can be signed until after age 20.Think of Tkachev and how even though he played in NA, but was undrafted, he had played in Europe.

See excerpt below:

… had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:

He could be signed to an AHL contract though….

Ahhh, yes, you’ve jogged my memory. Thanks. It was a North American player eligibility thing. Bummer, because even with skating issues I’d take a flyer on a kid like that if it was a cash transaction and a spot on the 50-man.

99. Showerhead says:

Pajamah: Yeah, I suppose there isn’t the spending disparity that we see in hockey. More teams/countries spending the money that you don’t see nationally in hockey. Canadian hockey will be top 3 as long as like you said, 60-70% of the talent comes from this country.

I come to expect it, and it crushes my soul a little bit every time it happens.

Like the Oilers. They should be better.

In hindsight I have to say that it really speaks well of you that you were patient with my nitpicking within hours of such a loss. In your shoes I might have been a bit less so – thank you for that.

« Older Comments