HARVEST

The Edmonton Oilers placed Lauri Korpikoski on waivers today, the club will buy him out. Peter Chiarelli could have kept him, with an eye to sending him to the minors this fall—but one wonders if this is a case of the GM taking temptation from the coach. Statistics reveal Todd McLellan played him 14 minutes a night—including 11 at evens where his possession numbers were poor (43 percent Corsi for percentage 5×5) and his offense (1.02) pedestrian.

OILERS CURRENT 50-MAN LIST (41)

50 MAN JUNE 30

• The blue line now has three legit top 4D, you could add Mark Fayne or Brandon Davidson and I would not quarrel.
  • If the Oilers add Tyson Barrie via trade this weekend, a top 6D of Klefbom—Larsson, Sekera—Barrie and Davidson—Fayne would be dandy.
  • If the Oilers are going to borrow another forward to trade it for blue, expect at least two UFA forwards added tomorrow. Brett Connolly could be that extra added player (more below).

CURRENT PROJECTED ROSTER

OILERS JUNE 30 DEPTH CHART

• The top two lines (I assume Maroon—McDavid—Eberle and Pouliot—Nuge—Draisaitl) look good to go.
  • If Lucic is acquired, Todd McLellan could go Lucic—McDavid—Eberle, Pouliot—Nuge—Pakarinen and Maroon—Draisaitl—Yakupov.
  • I doubt the Oilers are done, so the point is moot.

TOMORROW’S FREE AGENT LIST (OILERS EDITION)

Things have changed. For me, the Larsson trade puts Edmonton in a completely different part of the shopping center—and Stamkos off the books impacts the forward group.

1. C Frans Nielsen, New York Islanders. He is a dream player, one of my favorites. 32.
  2. L Milan Lucic, Boston Bruins. He was not the top player on my list until the Hall deal.
  3. R Loui Eriksson, Boston Bruins. Effective scorer, two-way winger.
  4. C David Backes, St. Louis Blues. He is past 30, but close to a perfect fit.
  5. R Brett Connolly, Boston Bruins. Skill winger, I think the Oilers get him.
  6. RD Jason Demers, Dallas Stars. Wilford Brimley: The right thing to do.
  7. R P.A. Parenteau, Toronto Maple Leafs. Scoring W, plug-and-play.
  8. W Darren Helm, Detroit Red Wings. Fine two-way winger with speed.
  9. LD Brian Campbell, Florida Panthers. Just money, big help.
  10. G James Reimer, Toronto Maple Leafs. Probably too expensive, top G option.
  11. L David Perron, Anaheim Ducks. I think he is a helluva player.
  12. L Mikkel Boedker, Colorado Avalanche. Fast skill winger with two-way ability, 26.
  13. G Jhonas Enroth, Los Angeles Kings. A solid option.
  14. RC Riley Nash, Carolina Hurricanes. Underrated option in my opinion.
  15. G Chad Johnson, Buffalo Sabres. A very good fit as backup.
  16. RD Jakub Nakladal, Calgary Flames. Big defender, surprised he is UFA.
  17. LD Patrick Wiecioch, Ottawa Senators. I know they do not need LD, this is value.
  18. G Al Montoya, Florida Panthers. A reasonable bet.
  19. R Lee Stempniak, Boston Bruins. Scoring winger. Somewhat legendary.
  20. R Teddy Purcell, Florida Panthers. He does a lot of good things effectively.
  21. R Kris Versteeg, Los Angeles Kings. Small, skilled and gritty.
  22. L Thomas Vanek, Minnesota Wild. A short, value deal might be a wise idea.
  23. RD Zach Redmond, Colorado Avalanche. Darcy likes him as a depth D.
  24. L Joe Colborne, Calgary Flames. If other options unavailable, worth looking at.
  25. L Jason Chimera, Washington Capitals. Remains a fast train, has two-way acumen.
  26. G Anton Khudobin, Anaheim Ducks. Goalie option.
  27. L Quinton Howden, Florida Panthers. He has a nice resume.
  28. RD Michael Paliotta, Columbus Blue Jackets. Interesting depth option.
  29. LD David Schlemko, New Jersey Devils. I always thought he could play.
  30. RD Eric Gryba, Edmonton Oilers. It isn’t over until it is over.
  31. L Matt Martin, NY Islanders. Flames will outbid Oilers.
  32. G Joni Ortio, Calgary Flames. If only to piss off Flames fans.
  33. RC Cody Hodgson, Nashville Predators. Under the radar option.
  34. R Justin Fontaine, Minnesota Wild. Under the radar option.
  35. LD Adam Pardy, Edmonton Oilers. He has talent.
  36. R Adam Cracknell, Edmonton Oilers. Big, named Adam.

346 Responses to "HARVEST"

« Older Comments
  1. Chris says:

If we sign Lucic for 7 x 7 on Lucic Chiarellia is going to make me wish we’d kept Tambo around.

2. JDï™ says:

vinotintazo,

10 am

3. vinotintazo says:

JDï™:
    vinotintazo,

10 am

thx, setting alarm now LOL

4. judgedrude says:

Lowetide: I did write about it yesterday, imo he is in trouble if this team cannot move north in a big way in the coming season.

The first thing you need to turn North is a D-man who can retrieve the puck and make a play to get out of the zone. Huh, maybe PC is on the right track?!

5. Jaxon says:

vinotintazo:
    at what time can they start signing FA tomorrow? Edm time.

10AM EDM, Noon Toronto.

6. Pouzar says:

Lucic signs in Dallas. Book it.

7. ashley says:

Balls-deep is a gross term. And it takes longer to type than all-in.

I sure hope RNH is still an Oiler to start this season.

8. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

Is this a ploy ?

9. wheatnoil says:

*****SPAM*******

I wrote a non-stats piece last night at around 2am because I couldn’t sleep. It went up this evening and reflects my thoughts (more specifically, my emotions) about the Taylor Hall Trade and it what means about the last six years.

*****END SPAM******

10. Jaxon says:

My wagers. All wishful thinking and highly unlikely, but I gotta hope.

Lucic 5M x 7yrs. Full NTC in 1st 2 years. 16 Teams after that.
    Demers 4.5 x 6yrs. Mod NTC 16 Teams.
    Johnson 2.0M x 3yrs. Mod NTC 16 Teams.
    Boedker 4.0M x 5yrs.

11. Pouzar says:

square_wheels:
    Pouzar,

Is this a ploy ?

Too many people saying it’s EDM.
    It stinks to high heaven.

12. Sugar Reijo says:

Lucic 5 yrs x $7 mill, NTC

13. Hall of Shame says:

719: TSN’s Bob McKenzie said earlier today on Vancouver radio that Lucic might be willing to give the Oilers a “hometown discount”

Home town discount for Edmonton is anything south of 53.5 latitide. 😉

So I’ll guess an ugly 43.5 mil. Kings at some point were supposed to have offered half that over 4 years.

14. vinotintazo says:

just watched this. I have to admit I shed a tear.

15. square_wheels says:

Pouzar,

I like your style.

16. Oilspill says:

The Americans want nothing to do with Russia. They’ve depleted weapons and money in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not sure where you are coming up with this ridiculous theory. Its Russia doing the flexing and the Americans sticking their head in the sand.

godot10: That is what you will get with Hillary.She will be continuing Obama’s legitimization of the Surveillance State.The chaos in Libya, North Africa, Syria, Iraq, and Ukraine was all orchestrated from the Obama/Clinton State Department.

ISiS is an American/Saudi/Turkish creation gone rogue.The plan was to use it get rid of Assad (so a natural gas pipeline could be build from Qatar and Saudi Arabia, through Syria and Turkey to Europe) and then set ISIS loose in the Muslim areas of Russia and China.

Obama has continued the militarization of local American police forces.

The Americans are pretty intent on war with Russia.

17. Dominoiler says:

Wow, great burn on the first post, Rex..

Read this on the earlier thread, “some of the verbal around here that borders on character assassination of Hall and also has all kinds of gloating people coming out of the woodwork talking about how Hall never helped this team win is too much.”

And I agree, can’t be doing this, it’s awful and without basis.. the team has been doomed by poor management for too long, no one Taylor Hall could push THAT river alone!.. some say top 3 best LW, not too shabby for the lead horse on a shit wagon going through some dreadful autumns and winters.. i hope he has success there, not always stuck on a team out of the playoffs.. get good players, keep good players..

18. digger50 says:

stush18:
    Holy fuck people. I’m about as big of fan as there is of hockey, and I’m over this hall trade.

How can you not be excited? Mcdavid, pool party, drai, Larsson, Klef, Davidson, Reinhart, nurse. This team is finally funding its balance, and is being built from the rear out.

Ten years out of playoffs, and this is the straw that broke the camels back?

Seriously go to ON or HF boards if all you wanna do is complain about this deal. Otherwise let’s move on and begin looking at solutions for this team, and having an actual hockey talk.

Like my gf always tells me, ” don’t get so worked up over a game”

Wow.

19. Oilspill says:

It’s a business and players are meat. Loyalty has NO PLACE if you want to win. Everybody bitches about not making playoffs and they want to stay the course? ?

wheatnoil:
    *****SPAM*******

*****END SPAM******

20. Pouzar says:

Oilspill:
    The Americans want nothing to do with Russia.They’ve depleted weapons and money in Iraq and Afghanistan. Not sure where you are coming up with this ridiculous theory. Its Russia doing the flexing and the Americans sticking their head in the sand.

GD nailed this.

21. JimmyV1965 says:

Spoils:
    could we have gotten Larsson for Eberle plus our first and second picks next year? I mean that feels like an overpay but I am very sorry people – Hall for Larsson is an absolutely gut wrenchingly stupid overpay.

McD driving line 1
    Hall driving line 2
    cobble together a strong line 3

that is stanley cup level offence. where do teams focus? how do teams handle that? we wouldn’t need our top picks next year. we could sacrifice ebs. Also Jesse P is a RW so doesn’t that make Ebs a better fit.

I’d way way way way way rather blow a year than toss away hall for the Larsson return.

HUGE overpay. we let the Unicorn out of the garage.

This

22. Water Fire says:

Occurred to me that Hall must also be pissed at the Austin home town discount. Took a team favouring contract and the team screwed him in the end. He also put up with Nuge and Eberle getting paid the same despite not earning it.

Even if management changes, the team is the team and it’s commitments endure as it does. So ya, slighted.

As LT put it, you better be right Pete. Thinking about it I get the villain mustache now, bet it goes tout de suit once the dealings done.

23. JimmyV1965 says:

Ice Sage: LOL Stanley Cup level offence?This is what was out there last year and, sorry, not even close.
    Penguins showed: strong up the middle, add wingers, balance D.I’ll miss Hall but the centres need to drive the lines and the Oilers have some good ones.It will be interesting to see if RNH and Drai take another step forward out of Halls shadow.

Since when do centres need to drive offence? Tarasenko, Gaudreau, Nash. The list goes on. Elite players drive offence.

OF17: Thankfully for us, Lucic shows little to no signs of hitting the wall. The last 5 seaons, he’s been 2.04, 1.69, 2.03, 2.08, and 2.56 in ESP/60. There are two outliers. One is his 14/15 scoring rate, which was still 3rd among Boston forwards with >750 minutes played, andhe rebounded in 15/16. The other outlier is that crazy year in 11/12 where 6!!! Boston forwards scored above 2.07 ESP/60, again with >750 minutes played. Lucic was 2nd on the team in ESP/60 that year. I think it’s reasonable to say both of those are aberrations, but Lucic’s has consistently been among the best 5v5 performers on his team for 5 years running.

So we’re looking at a guy who’s approximately a 2.00 ESP/60 forward who’s consistently been among the top performers on his team who just turned 28. Lucic is known for his pugilistic tendencies, but that kind of scoring doesn’t just go away in one’s early 30s. He’s been a better scorer than Eberle for every year but one of the last five, for reference.

Not hard at all to imagine that guy being an effective offensive forward well into his early 30s. A 6/7 year deal carries risk, but it appears to be reasonable risk.

Anything past 32 scares me but I’m inclined to agree with you

25. square_wheels says:

Leafs looking at Russel ?

Didn’t they sign a great shot blocker from the Avs a few years back ? That worked out well if I recall.

26. Mr DeBakey says:

Oilspill:
    It’s a business and players are meat. Loyalty has NO PLACEif you want to win. Everybody bitches about not making playoffs and they want to stay the course? ?

Why don’t you fuck off?
    I mean that in the nicest possible way.
    Now would be nice.
    Right now better.

27. "Steve Smith" says:

Oilspill:

“We must do something – this is something, and therefore we must do it!”

28. Water Fire says:

Who thinks Eberle 2017 first and D pospect gets Larsson, and who agrees the Oilers are better off with that deal despite the overpay of lesser assets each than Hall?

29. LadiesloveSmid says:

square_wheels,

sincerely hope EDM isn’t among those 4 teams

sign Wiz

30. Kris11 says:

digger50: Wow.

Comment edited, no fault of Kris11.

31. LadiesloveSmid says:

Water Fire:

32. Pouzar says:

LadiesloveSmid: that package doesn’t get you Hall, NJ needed an elite driver back. Larsson was untouchable, needed to be blown away

This.

It was Hall, McDavid (yeah I know) or nothing. Shero said as much.

33. Evilas says:

Mock me if you will, but I am an optimist and based on all the whispers about a Lucic “hometown discount” I’ve been dreaming and crunching numbers and praying that perhaps it will be a 7 year deal (7 yrs at $30,000,000) with an AAV just north of $4,285,000. I have faith in Chiarelli, as I have said since last year, BUT I will be crushed as will all of you if it is above $5.5 million AAV and 5 or more years.

In my mind if they structure it similar to O’Reilly’s with big bonuses up front, where he is essentially getting big bucks in the first 3 years, etc.

This means nothing, other than me putting words on paper, but if it would look like this to Lucic, with his salary being 1,000,000/yr and the remainder his signing bonus:
    7,000,000 7,000,000 6,000,000 4,000,000 3,000,000 2,000,000 1,000,000.

I can stomach this arrangement. We wait….

34. square_wheels says:

LadiesloveSmid,

Bet he signs a cheap contract in a place close to home – Detroit comes to mind.

HeatTreaterJoe: For the record, who would be better… Hamonic or Larsson?

In reply to Tyler
    Woodguy ‏@Woodguy55 15h15 hours ago
    @akaRCN @BDGallof I prefer Larsson to Hamonic
    3 retweets 9 likes
    Reply Retweet 3
    Like 9 View Tweet activity

Wrote that at 6:30 this morning.

Hamonic plays the best and his RelCA/60 is negative and his RelCF/60 is positive for a net RelCor being positive

Larsson plays the best and his RelCA/60 is hugely positive and his RelCF/60 is negative for a net RelCor slightly negative.

However Larsson’s ability to minimize scoring chances against the best is a much more rare skill and I value it highly.

36. JDï™ says:

I ain’t seen the rails in 30 minutes.

37. "Steve Smith" says:

Kris11,

This sort of thing is why I’ve always been proud to be you.

“Steve Smith”: “We must do something – this is something, and therefore we must do it!”

I can’t believe it took over 24 hours for someone to write that.

39. square_wheels says:

LadiesloveSmid,

You’ve got to think they’re not. The Leftorium is over-flowing, he’s a slightly younger Ference.

No more surprises Chia, I’m out of Wild Turkey.

40. 719 says:

I add Edmonton to my location

41. Hall of Shame says:

My katz is a dawg

42. JDï™ says:

Hall of Shame,

Yes, Prime Minister!

43. Lawgirl says:

wheatnoil,

That is a great read, thanks for putting into words exactly what a lot of us are feeling.

Cheers

44. JimmyV1965 says:

OF17:
    The visceral aspect of yesterday has calmed for me, and I’m quite excited about Klefbom-Larsson as a pairing. We finally have a D pair that should be able to play 22-25 minutes per night against top opposition with elite defense and a good transition game. Both of those guys should be good for 25-30 points per year, most of them at evens (considering the uptick in forward quality and increased PP time Larsson will see), and they carry a combined cap hit of just over $8.3 million for FIVE YEARS.

That’s actually insane. Think about that for a little bit. Is Klefbom-Larsson going to be almost $5 million worse than Klefbom-Subban? Are Subban’s pro-rated 17 extra ESP over the course of a season worth that money? And that’s assuming Larsson’s ES production remains constant while Subban’s remains at the highest point of his career (higher than his Norris year). PK’s PPP/60 was also approximately equal to Sekera’s last year. Is that worth $5 million?

From a cap perspective, I’m starting to think Larsson is worth more than Subban, and Larsson has more room to grow. The trick of course will be putting that cap space to good use. That’s easier said than done in a world in which RHD don’t come cheap, but Larsson gives Chiarelli real potential to improve the defense more than a Subban acquisition would have.

Very well said. Think Larsson will be great add. We still overpaid though and it absolutely destroys my confidence in PC.

Rebuild #1 (more of a retool than a full rebuild) centred on Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson, Gilbert, Hemsky, Penner failed spectacularly, due to management and coaching.

Rebuild #2 centred on Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Eberle failed spectacularly due to management and coaching, particularly in failing to find competent veteran support, and the worst coach in NHL history.

We are onto Rebuild #3, centred on McDavid, Draisaitl, hopefully Nugent-Hopkins, Larsson, Klefbom, Nurse, and maybe Davidson and Reinhart.

The banishment of Hall is extremely painful to the fans who invested into Rebuild #2. Hall doesn’t get to the promised land with the Oilers. It is so unfair. Chiarelli isn’t part of that. He’s gotta do what he’s gotta do. Life is unfair. But Lowe and MacT should be banished so those of us who invested in the Hall rebuild get a sense of justice, that the guilty are held accountable.

46. JDï™ says:

Darren Dreger Verified account
    ‏@DarrenDreger

Lots of work being done tonight…the eve of free agent frenzy. Kris Russell has trimmed his list down to 4 teams heading into tomorrow.

Kris Russell has a list. I can see Benning being all over this.

47. 719 says:

vinotintazo,

Thanks for posting

48. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Woodguy,

Thanks for the synopsis of Hamonic vs. Larsson. Much appreciated!!

Chris:

July 1 used to be a time when the Edmonton Oilers would sit on their hands and watch everybody else get stronger.

They either didn’t have the money to spend or nobody wanted to come here if they did.

Those days appear to be over. In a banner day for general manager Steve Tambellini, the Oilers led the charge on free agent frenzy day, landing Ben Eager, Darcy Hordichuk, Andy Sutton, Eric Belanger and Cam Barker.

Tambellini, long criticized for being slow to pull the trigger, filled gaping holes in the toughness department, addressed faceoff issues, bolstered the blueline and basically changed the identity of the hockey club in what might go down as the six most productive hours of his tenure.

Source: http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/01/oilers-get-tough

Banner day!

Good eye Tych!

HeatTreaterJoe:
    Woodguy,

Thanks for the synopsis of Hamonic vs. Larsson.Much appreciated!!

Imma gonna write something longer someday soon

51. Ripoux says:

Darren Dreger Verified account
    ‏@DarrenDreger

I believe the Maple Leafs remain as one of the 4 teams in contention for Kris Russell.

I swear Dreger has been on a Russell vigil for the last week.

52. vinotintazo says:

719:
    vinotintazo,

Thanks for posting

Np!

Ripoux:
    Darren Dreger Verified account
    ‏@DarrenDreger

I swear Dreger has been on a Russell vigil for the last week.

The large corps of fancystats Leaf fans will melt down.

54. "Steve Smith" says:

Woodguy,

Even when we first got him, Sutton was already being misreported as a free agent signing…

I liked Sutton the one year he played for us, five short years ago. Doubt he could survive in the league today.

Edit: I guess the article didn’t say that we signed him as a free agent; it said that we got him on free agent frenzy day, which was accurate. Fine. But both Andy Sutton and Jim Vandermeer were repeatedly cited as free agent signings by the Oilers, when neither was.

55. khildahl says:

Woodguy,

God, that article just keeps getting worse after the part you quoted.

I forgot how much of the last 10 years I’ve made a point of forgetting.

56. "Steve Smith" says:

khildahl:
    Woodguy,

God, that article just keeps getting worse after the part you quoted.

No kidding – it reads like something Mike Winters would have written.

57. khildahl says:

“Steve Smith”,

Has any quote ever encapsulated Steve Tambellini better than this?

“It was just like, wow,” he said. “If you’d have asked me this morning if this was going to happen in the one day I’d be very surprised. We got a heck of a lot accomplished in one day. I thought that this process was maybe going to take us the first couple of weeks.”

58. "Steve Smith" says:

khildahl:
    “Steve Smith”,

Has any quote ever encapsulated Steve Tambellini better than this?

Only the ones actually written by Mike Winters.

59. "Steve Smith" says:

This is actually the one I was looking for.

60. Rondo says:

With the NHL getting faster players like Lucic will have less impact as years go by.

61. Mr DeBakey says:

I thought I should give two thumbs up to the Oilers current GM, Pete “Slowhand” Chiarelli, for ditching Korpikoski.
    Not a moment too soon.
    Jokerit just got a little stronger.

62. Mr DeBakey says:

Rondo:

You can’t teach size you know.

63. trevorj says:

Guys, they traded Taylor Hall!?!? Lucic for 7 x 7!? This is mass madness. I think Chia is royally
    Going to F this up. What can I do? Sit back and watch it explode or implode I guess? This thing is
    Going nuclear, not sure what direction it’s traveling in…

64. OilClog says:

Hall being moved, should make heads roll, some sort of accountability needs to be held.

Maybe not the GM.

But anyone involved in bringing Nikitin here should be immediately shown the door.

Likewise with 90% of the advisors in the Rhino deal last season, that is the deal that’s truly cost us Hall.

If Griff was an actual top 4 defender like we were sold as a fan base one season ago, Taylor Hall wouldn’t be a Devil today.

Taylor Hall on any given night could of made McDavid second line status.

A Nuge with his groove back, may.

No one else will.

Beside Lucic, who is the RW they’re bringing in?

Was Yaks trade request rescinded due to the Hall trade? Tea leaves?

65. Rondo says:

Mr DeBakey,

Tell that to SJ

66. SumOil says:

wheatnoil,

There is something more too. We know Oilers are on the cusp of turning it around. With a couple of good signings we may push for a playoff spot if everyone stays reasonably healthy.

For years people have been talking about how this team cannot win with Hall and for years we have defended against it. Now we wont have anything to say to them even though they will be proven right despite being wrong

67. JDï™ says:

trevorj: What can I do?

Ask not, what you can do for a team, but what it can do for you!

68. John Chambers says:

wheatnoil:
    *****SPAM*******

*****END SPAM******

This is an excellent article – a friend texted me the link a few hours ago.

The best thing I’ve read regarding the trade and captures the essence of my disappointment. I started getting in to blogging, mostly on ON, back in 2010, riding the energy of what shall meant to the franchise.

69. OilClog says:

If Ebs goes in the Barrie trade, does Fayne follow suit and a ugly RW short term contract comes in.. Iginla?

“Steve Smith”:
    This is actually the one I was looking for.

This is a good one too: https://twitter.com/knockoutpanda/status/748735777345941507

71. Kris11 says:

Mr DeBakey: You can’t teach size you know.

‘I get these ads in my email that disagree.

72. khildahl says:

Woodguy,

He really nailed the Kingsway aesthetic in the second panel on that one.

73. Stelio Kontos says:

People seem to suggest Tambo couldn’t make a decision. I think he didn’t even try. He was the kind of guy who goes into work and comments on Lowetide all day.

74. tcho says:

First – loved Hall. One of the best wingers in the game, drove play (very rare), and in his prime. But I hope these moves by Chia work out, and I think they might.

Chia’s not dumb or inexperienced. People keep saying that he should have traded Eberle for so-and-so, or Drai for such-and-such, or two 1st rounders for… Apparently there were no takers.

I try to look at it this way. Let’s say Lucic replaces 75% of what Hall brings. That’s bad giving up 25%, but Larsson has a good chance to replace our current 1RHD – Joe Nobody, or 0% – with… let’s hope an 80%? 90%? (Numbers and reports look good). Is this not making the team better?

75. khildahl says:

Stelio Kontos:

Bah. He’d still be settling on a username.

76. Jethro Tull says:

trevorj:
    Going nuclear, not sure what direction it’s traveling in…

Best haiku ever.

77. flygoalie says:

Oilers sign Lucic 6 x 7 years & Demers 5 x 5 years.

78. John Chambers says:

Several words like “grit, sandpaper, clutch, grinder, tough customer, mercurial, and my all time least favorite enigmatic” seem to have exited the vocabularies of the print media.

To some extent you can credit the emergence of evidence-based analysis, but largely one can blame Dave Nonis for the shitty Clarkson contract.

79. Jethro Tull says:

flygoalie:
    Oilers sign Lucic 6 x 7 years & Demers 5 x 5 years.

Got a source there, stud?

80. Jethro Tull says:

John Chambers: but largely one can blame Dave Nonis for the shitty Clarkson contract.

Not if MacT was prepared to outbid him.

81. HeatTreaterJoe says:

trevorj:
    This thing is going nuclear, not sure what direction it’s traveling in…

Usually outwards…

Oh, and my prediction is Lucic signs @ $7.2 million for 7 years, but heavily front loaded and with early bonuses for cheaper years down the road.

I’m betting Demers ends up in New Jersey or Toronto.

82. vishcosity says:

Hall had two years left on his deal. I believe.

He probably was not going to resign.

Next year would he fetch Larsson? Probably not.

The dead line after? No way.

These aren’t hockey cards where once you buy you keep for life.

I thought it was a great trade.

83. Gerta Rauss says:

Lucic 6 x $6.25M with NMC or NTC clause of some sort

I don’t think they sign Demers

I believe now that they have Larsson, Chia will be looking for a little more offense from that 2nd D(assuming he’s even looking for another D)

*edit-and I hope they front load the contract with manageable dollars in the back half of the deal

84. Hall of Shame says:

vishcosity:
    taylir Hall had two years left on his deal. I believe.

He probably was not going to resign.

Next year would he fetch Larsson? Probably not.

The dead line after? No way.

I thought it was a great trade.

These aren’t hockey cards where once you buy you keep for life.

I thought it was a great trade.

Your only need to add 100% to get the correct number years left on Half’s contract. Be careful what you wish for because after 4 years you’ll understand why kings world not offer more than 4 to Lucic.

85. stevezie says:

vishcosity,

You underestimate the drop from Hall to Larsson. And the years left on Hall’s deal.

Also, Hall seemed livid he was dealt. Livid. He may have resigned.

And yes, i think his value would have been as high next season. Or later in the summer. If the best deal you’re offered is universally hailed as a short term loss, wait.

Straight up? Larsson and a first maybe, but straight up? Insane.

86. vishcosity says:

how does anyone see what they’re typing on an iPhone? This seems impossible.

Hall had four years left? If so, then fine. It was probably an overpay. But I don’t know how much, RD>LW every time.

87. trevorj says:

Your right Joe. I guess this thing already went nuclear in the 80’s. It went supernova and then exploded
    On its self forming a black hole. That’s what we are witnessing now, the gravitational pull of Edmonton
    is too strong, absorbing all first round talent only to lose it all into vast nothingness. Everyone thinks we are returning to the glory days but we are going down…

88. Hall of Shame says:

vishcosity: Doesn’t change the fact that these picks are depreciating assets. Much like a car, it’s worth the most on the lot.

Doesn’t change the fact that Hall’s contract ends right when you’ll want Lucic’s to vanish.

Hall trade needs to stand on its own. A lucic deal will stand or fall on its own terms tomorrow. Bad or good.

89. Ice Sage says:

JimmyV1965: Since when do centres need to drive offence? Tarasenko, Gaudreau, Nash. The list goes on.Elite players drive offence.

Crosby Malkin Bonino
    Add a Kunitz here, a Kessel there, heck even a Sheary
    That’s the model I prefer to Calgary, St Lou, Dallas.
    (This model even allows for a part-time Jultz!!!)
    Godspeed chia

90. Water Fire says:

Pouzar: This.

It was Hall, McDavid (yeah I know) or nothing. Shero said as much.

91. stevezie says:

vishcosity,

Hall is only one year older than Larsson. He just seems older because he’s been dominant for so much longer.

You are ironically arguing for the badness of the trade. Hall had four years left in a great contract! He is basically the same age as Larsson!

An elite rhD is worth more than an elite lw. That’s not what was exchanged here.

92. Stelio Kontos says:

Hall of Shame: Doesn’t changethe fact that Hall’s contract ends right when you’ll want Lucic’s to vanish.

93. rickithebear says:

there are aprox. 75 players with 20G 50P each year.
    last 3 years lucic is #25 EVG and #57 Points.
    #25 fwd is paid 6.875M
    #60 fwd is paid 5.6M

94. karst says:

stevezie,

Victor Hedmen didn’t hit his stride till his was 23.

By that logic Victor Hedmen shouldn’t be counted as an elite d because he had a difficult first few years in the league.

D hit their stride much later than forwards sometimes. Doesn’t discount their quality when they do.

95. stevezie says:

Stelio Kontos,

Not exactly.

Trading Taylor Hall for less than value is a loss. We traded a king for a ten, maybe a jack.

If we sign a queen, that doesn’t change the loss. Especially since we could have signed the queen anyway.

Had we traded Hall for Larsson and picks, or included Korpse, or whatever, there would be an argument. But one for one trades must be viewed as one for one deals.

Especially since the Devils are miles from the floor. Mises opportunity with your biggest bullet. This will probably cost him his job.

96. stevezie says:

karst,

Hedmanwas looking better than Larsson, and anyway if you’re trading certaintyfor potential you better make the other guy pay a premium.

Obviously.

97. stevezie says:

Stelio Kontos: They go together. Same as if we had Okposo in the bag and dealt eberle. It’s a reasonable way to move forward. I think it was the right idea, but the wrong deal.

To be clear, signing Lucic does mean you can maybe trade Hall, but it doesnt mean you can lose the deal.

We lost, and it wasn’t close.

98. rickithebear says:

Water Fire: So he said after the fact. Nobody says Larsson is elite which makes me have trouble buying the scenario. Nobody says Larsson is better than Hamonic who would not get Hall. Something seems off to me. Could just be a rash decision on Edmonton’s part.

SO yeah game is won by GF and GA

so we gave up #33 EVG scorer and # 27 Point producer.
    A top 30 GF forward
    who is paid 6M.
    0.5M less than the 30th highest paid forward.

for a top 10 HSCA D and SA/60 D who is #1 EVGA and top 10 PKGA,
    Based on comp and Zone start the best GA D in the game
    who is paid 4.167M
    3.7M less than the avg of the top 5 paid men.

Quit being a GF cock hound.
    +ve Goal differential.

you need a 1.53 EVp/60 fwd to outscore his 1.52 EVGA/60

That is Mcginn; Getzlaf; Andregehtto; S. Prince
    an average of 3.125M

99. spoiler says:

stevezie: Mises opportunity with your biggest bullet. This will probably cost him his job.

Austrian slip?

100. stevezie says:

spoiler,

Ha! I’m keeping it

101. Factotum says:

There are a lot of trees where bears live. So, so many trees.

102. "Steve Smith" says:

Factotum:
    There are a lot of trees where bears live.So, so many trees.

And yet, I somehow don’t see a forest.

103. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Gerta Rauss: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/chiarelli-understands-uproar-hall-moves-make/

OMG, Chia said in the interview that if we hadn’t drafted JP, the Oilers may still have Taylor Hall. Is he trying to crush JP with expectations, or is he trying to deflect anger from Larsson?
    *EDIT* He back-pedalled a bit after the fact.

Chia, BTW, claimed he didn’t know how many years out of the playoffs the Oilers have been, since he’s only been in Edmonton for a year.

Is this a “dumb” act? I’m not feeling more confidence in him after listening to this interview.

*Second EDIT* Below, Steve Smith seems to have a better interpretation of what Chia is saying…

104. "Steve Smith" says:

HeatTreaterJoe: OMG, Chia said in the interview that if we hadn’t drafted JP, the Oilers may still have Taylor Hall.Is he trying to crush JP with expectations, or is he trying to deflect anger from Larsson?

105. HeatTreaterJoe says:

“Steve Smith”: I don’t think he meant that JP made Hall expendable; I think he was saying that, but for Columbus passing on JP, the central asset in a trade for a right-handed defenceman would have been the fourth overall pick, not Taylor Hall.

That’s probably a better interpretation… I’m still cranky, and definitely tired. I better log out for the night.
    Cheers!!

106. Bag of Pucks says:

This team sold Gretzky and that was eventually revealed as the actions of a greedy owner.

This team traded Smyth and that was eventually revealed as the actions of incompetent and petty management.

This team traded Hall and apparently this will eventually be revealed as the fault of the player: locker room cancer, uncoachable, wrong position at the wrong time, etc.

Owner. Management. Player. lol. The ‘team’ is the thread that unites them.

“it’s just business.” This is the mantra that has come to define the Edmonton Oilers as an organization. Coffey. Gretzky. Messier. Weight. Smyth. Hall. Connor? No one plays their entire career for this team. Every one is expendable for the right price, or in the right circumstances.

This team finally had a chance to do it right, with class, and it failed miserably. Again.

I have no idea why any player would be loyal to this team given its history. The pomp and circumstance ceremonies hide the true rot at the core of this organization. “It’s just business.”

This team didn’t deserve McJesus, but they have him. Today that seems eerily appropriate. This is a franchise sorely in need of redemption.

107. "Steve Smith" says:

Bag of Pucks: There is no Derek Jeter or Kobe Bryant or Walter Payton or Jean Beliveau moment with this team. That day never comes. Loyalty to this team buys a ticket out of town when the greatest players least expect it….every…single….time.

You forget that Hockey Hall of Famer Adam Oates retired an Oiler. No loyalty, my foot.

108. jonrmcleod says:

Predictions for today…

Trade:

RNH or Eberle for Barrie.

Signings:

Lucic, 6 years, $6 million per year

B. Connolly, 2 years, $1.25 million per year

If RNH is traded, a C will be signed.

109. treevojo says:

Prediction. Lucic contract.

7 years. 41 mil

7.5–7.5–7.5–5.5–5.5–3.75–3.75

All in signing bonus except 1 mil per year

Full no move/no trade for first 5 years. No move with partial no trade last two years

As they say

Book it!

110. skidplate says:

Kris11: Not funny.

Agree. Has no place here.

111. Hall of Shame says:

That hint includes a number of possibilities. Package for Subban with our with out Hall, another D deal. Or just wanting JP enough to wait for other D deals.

Would not be surprised if PC manages to make Benning look like a genius today if Benning can lend Eriksson on reasonable terms

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 18m18 minutes ago
    If the Oilers land Lucic today I’d expect it to be a 6 or 7 year deal at around 6m per year

.@mayorNHL:
    Time is ticking, but wouldn’t be surprised if Kings GM Dean Lombardi goes back to Lucic camp one final time… maybe offer 6yr, $30M deal.
    7:12pm – 30 Jun 16

PC FTW.

112. LadiesloveSmid says:

if they trade Barrie for RNH, what was the point of trading Hall? Could have thrown a heap of money at Demers instead, ran him and Barrie down the right side and have been a stronger team. Larsson costing Hall tells me Barrie will cost RNH+Nurse

113. stephen sheps says:

Woodguy,

“Steve Smith”,

I had entirely forgotten about Winters’ adventures of Tambi comics. Thank you both for reminding me.

114. admiralmark says:

spoiler: Austrian slip?

stevezie:
    spoiler,

Ha! I’m keeping it

Well alright then. Lets throw another shrimp on the Barbie!

115. RedArmy says:

The more I think about it, the more these lines appeal to me:

Lucic mcdavid yakupov
    Maroon Leon eberle
    Pouliot Nuge JP
    Hendricks letestu kassian

116. admiralmark says:

Lucic to Edm 7+7+6+6+6+5+5= $6 Mill AAV.
    RNH+Reinhart For Barrie
    Staal (FA) for 2 yrs at $2 Mill on a show me contract.

117. Professor Q says:

karst:
    stevezie,

Victor Hedmen didn’t hit his stride till his was 23.

Brent Burns didn’t hit his stride until he was almost 30, either…

118. Professor Q says:

Hall of Shame,

Rishaug seems to be all over the place with what he “expects” Lucic to get in both term and money.

119. flygoalie says:

Jethro Tull,

Check out Sportsnet this morning, partner.

120. flygoalie says:

RedArmy,

I agree, sign Demers then shut er down & let er buck. Plug and play Condors as required.

121. Sugar Reijo says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m1 minute ago
    LA Kings took one last shot at Milan Lucic yesterday, which is why Matt Greene was placed on buyout waivers. But didn’t come close on Lucic

Happy Canada Day all.

Should be an interesting one.

122. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

trevorj:
    Going nuclear, not sure what direction it’s traveling in…

Please! Sitting around WAITING for something to happen isn’t going to cut it. How else do you think we are going to lure guys like Lucic if we dont overpay them? Lowball them and watch them go to a rival instead?

Chia is building a team TO WIN now and in the future. ISNT THAT THE GOAL? Who cares if Lucic signs for 7 years? Chiarelli is banking on winning a Cup and if it happens within 5 years wouldn’t that be worth the 2 extra years? The goal is to build a CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM and Lucic has proven he can produce and win in the Playoffs. Hall has not. So why cry over a potential problem in the year 2022 now? Lucic with McDavid and co. the next 5 years makes us that much closer to a contending team. Period.

123. Shau-co says:

I am in the minority I know. However, I am excited to see this team reach balance finally.

Massive and painful cost, but if the team becomes more competitive I’m all for it.

124. square_wheels says:

Wow that Ekblad contract is 7 x 60M ?

125. russ99 says:

flygoalie:
    RedArmy,

No way, after 2 years of MacTavish and 1 year of Chiarelli/MacTavish stopping short and leaving us with a giant hole in camp, we need to follow through.

With the moves we’re making and the new arena, it’s time to go all in.

126. Jethro Tull says:

flygoalie,

TY!

127. flygoalie says:

russ99,

What don’t you like with the lines?

128. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Don’t see how we sign Demers when we need a PP guy RHD. Besides, didn’t we already sign Demers last year? (Sekera)

Edit: Rishaug literally just tweeted exact same thing

129. Hall of Shame says:

Professor Q:
    Hall of Shame,

If be had known how far north he’d be following the lucic rumors he would have packed a parka. This is not what we mean by turn north.

130. JOFA says:

Somebody wake LT up for Christ’s sake.

131. square_wheels says:

TSN showing a highlight of Russel as a Leafs free agent signing……of course the video was him getting walked and having to chase a Pred’s player al, the way around his net.

Ference 2.0

132. JOFA says:

Draft day post was at 5:30!

133. flygoalie says:

Kiltymcbagpipes,

Well said and with Lucic nobody runs McD into the boards and skates away.

134. Oilspill says:

Well if he got walked he would have cut to the net? You always give the outside..Defense 101.

square_wheels:

Ference 2.0

135. rickithebear says:

Walter Fire:
    I do not give a shit about what people SAY about Larsson.

That is sport speak.

That is opinion.
    Opinion ; def: Point of view not based on facts or Knowledge.

Quality views like “lacks inner confidence “from Adam get the f……… off our NJD team oates.”

THE facts he gives up 1 less shot in the low chance area were shots go in at a 0.5 to 8.5% rate.
    His reduced SA/60 count is in the HSCA were shots go in at 8.5 to 20% rate.

Now if you can give a view of technic that suggests that non sustainability to have the most difficult Comp and ZS combination of any D in the league. Yet still be the #1 GA d in the game.

Point it out Please.

Otherwise your OPINION is what I like to refer to as “talking out your ASS”

Which TSN and Sportsbet experts are real good at!

136. Water Fire says:

stevezie: If we sign a queen, that doesn’t change the loss.

Lucic is a queen? Link please.

137. Ryan says:

rickithebear:
    Walter Fire:
    I do not give a shit about what people SAY about Larsson.

That is sport speak.

That is opinion.
    Opinion ; def: Point of view not based on facts or Knowledge.

His reduced SA/60 count is in the HSCA were shots go in at 8.5 to 20% rate.

Now if you can give a view of technic that suggests that non sustainabilityto have the most difficult Comp and ZScombination of any D in the league. Yet still be the #1 GA d in the game.

Point it out Please.

Otherwise your OPINION is what I like to refer to as “talking out your ASS”

Which TSN and Sportsbet experts are real good at!

Sounds like you’re a huge fan of Larson?

138. Ryan says:

Sounds like Darcy identified Larsson as a player of interest before the trade.

But better than Doughty and Faulk?

139. rickithebear says:

ONCE again:
    Lucic is 6’4″ 233lb
    last 3 years fwd rank
    #74 62G
    #59 158P
    #25 55 EVG from 1.75 Shots/gm
    #22 130 EVP
    242/246 gm played
    that means we required a1.30+ evp/60 drop from #13-14 fwd needed to replace him for 1.6 % of the games. (1gm/season)

Hall 6M
    #51 67G
    #27 183P
    #32 53 EVG
    #9 147 EVP
    210/246 gm played
    that means we required a 1.40+ evp/60 drop from #13-14 fwd need to replace him for 14.6% 0f the games. (12gm/season)
    That is a huge impact on games won!

140. rickithebear says:

Ryan: The other day Woodguy said something to this effect in the comment section here about preventing shots against and hDScA being an elite skill.

Sounds like you’re a huge fan of Larson?

But better than Doughty and Faulk?

I am a huge fan of young Players who play like the best in the game for a couple years.
    who may be that player for the next 6-10 years.

Larsson like Doughty with zero useless PP count relative to actual PPGF results.
    So you do not have to pay for non productive GD.

you want the best at a skill in the game for as cheap as Possible.

Larsson 4.167M PC flipped the cover.
    top 10 COMP

Davidson: 1.425M TAMBO
    bot 2nd comp
    top 30 HSCA D
    top 15 PKGA D
    #1 PPG/60 D

Talbot 4.166M MACT
    top 5 SAVE% last 3 years in the .915 to .8000 shots.

141. flygoalie says:

Just thinkin’ with the inherent issues of RHD past couple of years, why do we keep setting the power play up on the right?

142. flygoalie says:

Kiltymcbagpipes,

Exactly makes the second pairing of Sekera / Demers a little bit dynamic. As far as pp goes, I think Davidson is a diamond in the rough given the opportunity. While he doesn’t have the hammer you’d like, he can walk the line & get pucks through. Was prolific at it in junior.

« Older Comments