BLISTER IN THE SUN

We are here. Milan Lucic would be the biggest free-agent addition of the cap era for the Oilers and that could happen in mere hours. Despite what has been claimed by some, this blog is absolutely unsure about the final destination of Milan Lucic on Day 1 of free agency. Let’s start the day by looking at the shopping list:

THE CHIARELLI LIST

1. Top-pairing RHD (Two-way skills—Adam Larsson)
  2. Find a replacement for Taylor Hall
  3. Second-pairing RHD (Offensive defenseman)
  4. Acquire RHC with some skill
  5. Backup goalie

Larsson is an Oiler, and Lucic replacing Hall seems inevitable—but if that does not happen Peter Chiarelli is in a spot of bother. After that, I am uncertain about the second RHD the team may add—they could use a hammer but maybe a one-year free agent rental is the way to go. RHC comes into play if the team trades Nuge, and I think they will add a goalie but that may not be today. Bruce Garrioch mentioned Kyle Okposo as an Oilers target in his free-agent article, that surprised me.

THE CHIARELLI EXTENDED PLAY LIST

1. Add a “Pisani” who can mentor, score 15, and play a two-way role up and down the lineup.
  2. Re-stock the shelves via the draft (Puljujarvi and the entire draft)
  3. Improve overall team speed (Puljujarvi)
  4. Offload Lauri Korpikoski (Bought out)
  5. Improve goaltending depth (added Nick Ellis, but not much in draft).
  6. Improve AHL quality (Caggiula, Russell, Ellis, but more is needed).
  7. Cull the LHD herd (have, in fact, added to the LHD group).

The Oilers are making progress in most areas here—even things like goaltending depth and AHL quality have been upgraded. All of this seems minute because of the Hall trade—nothing here comes close to Hall’s exit—but there is good work here (Puljujarvi, Caggiula, buying out LK).

THE ASSETS LIST

1. Cap space*
  2. Nail Yakupov
  3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  4. Taylor Hall
  5. Jordan Eberle
  6. Benoit Pouliot
  7. Mark Fayne
  8. Griffin Reinhart
  9. 2017 1st round selection

How many of the remaining items are heading out of town? Anyone’s guess. I remember wondering where to put Hall and Nuge on this list all spring—turns out No. 1 was a pretty good spot for Hall. Never thought Yakupov would outlast him—if only for a few hours.

The math is $42 million if we max the years described by Mr. Rishaug—and based on some rumors that may not cut it. I thought six years at $6 million would be the outer marker, but the extra year may have been key. I also expect this move—should it happen—to be the only major free-agent signing by Edmonton today. They have cap room, but not enough for two massive contracts on Day 1.

OILERS ORIENTATION CAMP ROSTER

• Goal: Zach Nagelvoort, Nick Ellis, Miroslav Svoboda, Dylan Wells, Tomas Kral. This is an area where the Oilers badly need someone to step up. I think Nick Ellis might be the best bet, with Wells being the wild card. Gap between performance and verbal is massive. What happened last year?
  • Left Defense: William Lagesson, Caleb Jones, Markus Niemelainen, Matthew Cairns, Shane Hanna, Mark Auk. The player of most interest here is probably Niemelainen, the new hire is big and mobile. Caleb Jones had an exceptional year, did the scouting reports misrepresent his offense? It seems likely after Draft+1.
  • Right Defense: Ethan Bear, John Marino, Filip Berglund, Vincent Desharnais, Jason Fram, Nick DeSimone. Bear is the feature player, and Marino should draw some interest too. Berglund is a big righty with skill, he should stand out in the crowd.
  • Center: Tyler Vesel, Aapeli Rasanen, Zach Aston-Reese, John Stevens, Tomas Soustal. The Rasanen pick was inspired, everything I read about him is positive. As you can see, this is not a strong area, but the team has three substantial centers already at the NHL level. If they trade one of them, very little bubbling under—pro or amateur.
  • Left Wing: Drake Caggiula, Joey Benik, Scott Allen, Tyler Benson, Jake Lucchini, Brandon Biro, Peter Zhong. Perhaps the most interesting group at the camp, Caggiula should be a star in this group. Benson will be worth watching to see where he is physically.
  • Right Wing: Jesse Puljujarvi, Aidan Muir, Patrick Russell, Jaedon Descheneau, Josh Melnick, Dominik Shine, Luke Esposito. Puljujarvi will be the talk of the town in Jasper—he may not say 10 words, but people seem drawn to him. Muir should push his way around in this arrangement, and Jaedon Descheneau is easily the most interesting invite.
  • Source

OILERS OPTIONS BY POSITION

Goal—Oilers need a backup who can play, while also giving Laurent Brossoit every chance to grab the job.

• G James Reimer, Toronto Maple Leafs. He will probably end up in Brooklyn.
  • G Jhonas Enroth, Los Angeles Kings. Suspect he will be paid well.
  • G Chad Johnson, Buffalo Sabres. A very good fit as backup.
  • G Al Montoya, Florida Panthers. This is probably the sweet spot for Edmonton
  • G Anton Khudobin, Anaheim Ducks. Goalie option.
  • G Joni Ortio, Calgary Flames. If only to piss off Flames fans.

Defense—The need remains but has shifted to a puck mover—meaning the Oilers may not grab anyone. My hunch is the club is likely out on Demers and could add an inexpensive option in day three or four.

1. RD Jason Demers, Dallas Stars. I remain convinced he was an excellent option.
  2. LD Brian Campbell, Florida Panthers. Looks like Chicago.
  3. RD James Wisniewski, Carolina Hurricanes. If healthy, depending on price, interesting name.
  4. RD Jakub Nakladal, Calgary Flames. Intriguing player.
  5. LD Patrick Wiecioch, Ottawa Senators. Worth a shot, talented player.
  6. RD Zach Redmond, Colorado Avalanche. Might be a PP option.
  7. LD Zach Trotman, Boston Bruins. Big defender, can pass the puck.
  8. LD Dennis Seidenberg, Boston Bruins. Eroding, knees are giving him trouble.
  9. RD Michael Paliotta, Columbus Blue Jackets. Interesting depth option.
  10. LD David Schlemko, New Jersey Devils. I always thought he could play.
  11. RD Eric Gryba, Edmonton Oilers. Edmonton needs right D.
  12. LD Adam Pardy, Edmonton Oilers. He has talent.

Center—A lot of what happens here depends on trade plans. I have no issue with the current center depth chart, since it contains two former No. 1 overall picks and a No. 4 overall. That said, trading Nuge opens up another giant hole—and there are precious few reasonable fixes available.

1. C Frans Nielsen, New York Islanders. Fantastic player.
  2. C David Backes, St. Louis Blues. He is past 30, but close to a perfect fit.
  3. RC Riley Nash, Carolina Hurricanes. Underrated option in my opinion.
  4. RC Cody Hodgson, Nashville Predators. Under the radar option.

Left Wing—A brilliant position until the trade this week, Edmonton now has a clear need at the position. Replacing Hall with Lucic misses the point of Hall, but this is what we talked about a lot over the last 12 month. The Bruinization of the Edmonton Oilers nears completion today—if Lucic signs.

1. L Milan Lucic, Boston Bruins. It seems inevitable.
  2. L David Perron, Anaheim Ducks. I think he is a helluva player.
  3. L Mikkel Boedker, Colorado Avalanche. Fast skill winger with two-way ability, 26.
  4. L Thomas Vanek, Minnesota Wild. A short, value deal might be a wise idea.
  5. L Joe Colborne, Calgary Flames. If other options unavailable, worth looking at.
  6. L Jason Chimera, Washington Capitals. Remains a fast train, has two-way acumen.
  7. L Quinton Howden, Florida Panthers. He has a nice resume.
  8. L Matt Martin, NY Islanders. Flames will outbid Oilers.

Right Wing—I was surprised to read Kyle Okposo’s name linked to the Oilers in the Garrioch piece (linked above). For me, the play here is trading Nail Yakupov at some point and grabbing Brett Connolly—not my play, but rather Chiarelli’s logical move.

1. R Kyle Okposo, NY Islanders. Surprised to see him listed, he is talented but one-dimensional—similar to Jordan Eberle.
  2. R Loui Eriksson, Boston Bruins. Effective scorer, two-way winger.
  3. R Brett Connolly, Boston Bruins. Skill winger, I think the Oilers get him.
  4. R Troy Brouwer, St. Louis Blues. Not on my original list, Okposo inclusion has me wondering.
  5. R P.A. Parenteau, Toronto Maple Leafs. Scoring W, plug-and-play.
  6. R Lee Stempniak, Boston Bruins. Scoring winger. Somewhat legendary.
  7. R Teddy Purcell, Florida Panthers. He does a lot of good things effectively.
  8. R Kris Versteeg, Los Angeles Kings. Small, skilled and gritty.
  9. R Justin Fontaine, Minnesota Wild. Under the radar option.
  10. R Adam Cracknell, Edmonton Oilers. Big, named Adam.

THE LAST SPIKE

I think this could be the final day for Nail—of course I have been saying that for some time. The Hall deal tells me that the watershed can begin any time and there is no use keeping players around for appearances. That said, even at this late date and secure in the knowledge he is a flawed player, I would not trade him. His value is low, the play here is to keep him for another day. We know he can play with Pouliot and McDavid, so let’s start there.

171 Responses to "BLISTER IN THE SUN"

1. skidplate says:

Good morning all. Happy Free Agent Frenzy. Does anyone know how to watch FAF online? No cable package.

2. Jethro Tull says:

Brandon Biro

Wondered if they had him ‘penciled’ in.

LT, you may find that Hall’s replacement is more points from the defense + Lucic.

3. Jethro Tull says:

Canny Hapada Day!

4. jonrmcleod says:

Probably part of the reason why Lucic is going to leave the Kings is so he doesn’t have to wear those bright yellow uniforms anymore.

5. admiralmark says:

jonrmcleod:

6. Mr DeBakey says:

LD Zach Strotman, Boston Bruins. Big defender, can pass the puck.

I think you overessed yourself.

To me the play is the other Zach, Redmond to be Davidson’s RHD partner.

7. Protagonist says:

Anyone have a stream for free agency?

8. LadiesloveSmid says:

I would think Ortio or Hutton might make some sense, actually. Same situation as last season where you have Talbot and then two goalies battle for starter in BAK/backup in EDM. I guess Brossoit is on a 1-way right now, right? Could be on waivers

9. Rosco says:

Happy Canada Day all!

I’m not sure how the bonus structure can work or how much variance there can be in the “per year” part of a contract… But I think it’s obvious Lucic is signing for 7 years and based on Bob McKenzie’s verbal about the possible lockout in 2020, the first four years of his contact are going to be huge!

Say 8_8_7_7_3_3_3? 5.6 AAV

10. Rondo says:

As the league gets quicker and the league wanting more goals Oilers are going to hate the Lucic contract after 3 yrs.

11. Jethro Tull says:

admiralmark: He looks like an angry Banana. Of course after today he’s gonna look like an angry Orange.

Disgruntled Tangerine.

12. PaperDesigner says:

I hope the rumoured Barrie/Nugent-Hopkins trade happens today. Not because I necessarily like the deal, but I have the same attitude now towards the team as a band-aid–this is going to suck, so let’s just get it over with quickly.

13. jonrmcleod says:

Blackhawks get a great deal:

SportsCentre
    @SportsCentre
    UPDATE: As per @Real_ESPNLeBrun, D Brian Campbell to sign 1-year deal with @NHLBlackhawks worth about $2M

14. Suntory Hanzo says:

skidplate,

Stream2watch

Use a popup killer. Choose Canada then TSN. Tennis on now. Careful with tricky x to close things.

15. Water Fire says:

Happy Canada Day all

Pissed off Persimmon

16. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

To continue my point from last thread people really need to relax if Lucic signs here even for 7×7.

Chiarelli is doing what he has to do to build a Championship team. Sitting around WAITING for something to happen isn’t going to cut it. How else do you think we are going to lure guys like Lucic if we dont overpay them? Lowball them and watch them go to a rival instead? Adding a bunch of decent players on value contracts isn’t going to cut it either.

Chia is building a team TO WIN now and in the future. ISNT THAT THE GOAL? Who cares if Lucic signs for 7 years? Chiarelli is banking on winning a Cup and if it happens within 5 years wouldn’t that be worth the 2 extra years? The goal is to build a CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM and Lucic has proven he can produce and win in the Playoffs. Hall has not. So why cry over a potential problem in the year 2022 now? Lucic with McDavid and co. the next 5 years makes us that much closer to a contending team. Period.

NOT adding Lucic now because we are worried about something in 2022 is ridiculous. We might have a Cup by then so who cares it’ll be worth it. No risk no reward.

17. Tarkus says:

Put Lucic in the new Oiler threads and he’d become…

….wait for it….

….The Ochre Ogre

18. Water Fire says:

PaperDesigner:

This.

I commented before the Hall deal that I would be done with the org if it was Hall for Hamonic straight up, and watch games for Connor. LT talked me down but I can’t get over it. Not trading him, but the deal.

Something is rotten there, I believe now that they intended to move him all along, and Shero’s verbal is cover fire for Chiarelli who is saying nothing. Gives both GM’s cover with their fan base. McLellan is not outside these decisions given the closeness. Sideburns.

19. Frank the dog says:

Is it safe to assume that it was either Demers or Larsson?

It is even possible that Chia may have tried to avoid the Hall trade by signing Demers, only pulled the trigger on Hall when Demers didn’t bite?

20. JimmyV1965 says:

Hey LT. Do you know what the rules are for front loading a contract; what % of the money can be paid out in the first three years kinda thing? If we sign Lucic for seven years this will become very important.

21. Tarkus says:

Anyone else suspect these moves, unbeknownst to Chiarelli, are being set up for the next GM of this squad? Who could very well be MacT AGAIN?

I just get the feeling Chia was brought in to do the dirty work before he gets canned. Then, if and when the team turns north again, the BOTB can reclaim their former glory…

22. skidplate says:

Suntory Hanzo:
    skidplate,

Stream2watch

Thank you! And Happy Canada Day!!!! of course.

23. khildahl says:

I’ll go with Ill-Tempered Sherbet.

24. Water Fire says:

Tarkus:
    Anyone else suspect these moves, unbeknownst to Chiarelli, are being set up for the next GM of this squad?Who could very well be MacT AGAIN?

Please don’t ruin Canada Day

25. Snowman says:

Yeah I’m having a tough time with the Hall trade. He’s not even my favorite Oiler… If they trade Nuge too (which they will) I might have to take a break from this team for a while.. I didn’t realize how invested in these young guys I actually am.

Happy Milan Lucic day everyone. Hopefully it doesn’t suck.

26. Water Fire says:

JimmyV1965:

Can’t be bigger than 25% variation in a year IIRC

27. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Tarkus:
    ….The Ochre Ogre

You win…

Now I’m imagining Lucic with a Shrek voice. Would this make one of his linemates “Donkey”?

28. jm363561 says:

Just a week ago we were looking at any four of Hall (sob), Lucic, Maroon, Pouliot, Tkachuk, whizzing down the left wing (at various speeds) – it would be quite a collapse to end up with just Maroon and Pou. If Lucic does’nt sign (rumoured LAK are making a last minute pitch) is Plan B to pray Caggiula is really good?

I was struggling with $6m x 6 for Lucic but 7 x 7 – yikes, talk about bold moves.

29. jonrmcleod says:

Has LT been trying to send us a message by always using the yellow jersey Lucic pick?

Proceed with caution?

30. theDjdj says:

Guys, can we admit to ourselves that the Hall trade was nothing but business?

RHD are a premium. We desperately needed one (actually two).

31. Water Fire says:

At this point I’d rather have Barrie than Demers in a non Hall style trade. If Nuge is going meaning they need to get a centre somehow I’d rather have a larger deal that includes Landeskog (given rumours he is out there) and Barrie and avoids Lucic, Sakic can trade Duchene for Trouba.

32. Hall of Shame says:

theDjdj:
    Guys, can we admit to ourselves that the Hall trade was nothing but business? RHD are a premium. We desperately needed one (actually two). Chiarelli payed the market price. That market price came at a high cost to the team. Supply/Demand. No “locker room” rubbish. No hidden conspiracy. Just a tough trade for a dire need.

33. One-Timer says:

Protagonist:
    Anyone have a stream for free agency?

I just keep refreshing this site, waiting for people to retweet stuff. And that’s actually true.

34. khildahl says:

Ugh. Pierre McGuire? Really, TSN?

35. Pouzar says:

Hearing Ladd to Islanders is done.

36. Pouzar says:

Rumors of Radulov to MTL

37. Professor Q says:

Pouzar,

I thought he resigned in Russia?

38. Pouzar says:

jonrmcleod:
    Pouzar,

Per McKenzie?

Nope. More obscure source that I don’t like to quote but he’s been dead on on some stuff before.

39. Ben says:

Wonder if Weircioch to Avs makes Barrie move more likely.

40. khildahl says:

Pouzar,

If they’re true, I’ve got to wonder what Bergevin is smoking.

Summing it up brilliantly:
    Patrick O’SullivanVerified account
    ‏@realPOSULLIVAN
    Maybe Montreal is kicking tires on bringing in Avery. Finish the trifecta of great decisions to make your locker room a better place.

41. theDjdj says:

Hall of Shame: No. Shero did not have offers for AL even close to Hall. The rise in the Licic price is very bad business for the on ice product and would be entirely self inflicted

I’m making mention of the whole “Chiarelli wanted Hall out, he was a bad locker room presence” nonsense.

I don’t presume to know more than Chiarelli. He’s not an idiot. He knew when the FA window was. Being an armchair GM is part of the fun of sport. But let’s not act like we know what’s actually going on. Our fantasies are driven by third to fourth hand info sometimes.

42. Pouzar says:

Professor Q:
    Pouzar,

I thought he resigned in Russia?

No, he’s a tough one to get a read on. The latest was that no one over there could meet his price except for one team he wasn’t long for.

43. Pouzar says:

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 23s24 seconds ago
    Obviously anything’s subject to change, I suppose, but I’m being told Okposo to the #sabres is all but a lock

44. Pouzar says:

Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 22m22 minutes ago
    Could see Colborne to Edm… Chiarelli drafted him in first round in 2008.

45. khildahl says:

“The contract we gave Clarkson wasn’t bad, he just thought he was better than he is.”

46. The Trade Guy says:

Tarkus:

I just get the feeling Chia was brought in to do the dirty work before he gets canned.Then, if and when the team turns north again, the BOTB can reclaim their former glory…

The thought crossed my mind. I have so little respect for the hockey leadership of the team that it wouldn’t surprise me in the least that they hid in the shadows and found someone to do the painful moves required to overcome their horrible mistakes only to swoop back in and try and claim the glory.

47. Klima's_Bucket says:

jonrmcleod,

Campbell couldn’t get a NMC from Florida, so he chose a 1 year deal back in Chicago.

48. UnjustEnrichment says:

Disagree with you 100% on Yakupov. For this team to turn north, players who are definitely not part of the future (e.g. ones who cannot play a team game or learn to be better) must be sent away, even at reduced value. In the fall, we want a team that can win more often and play as a team, not a team that is coasting until certain player values increase for the purpose of a later trade. The surgery must and should continue, despite all of the whining. Let’s clean this mess up, Mr. Chirelli.

49. Pouzar says:

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 14s15 seconds ago
    Some other stuff: Patrick Wiercioch probably going to COL. An interesting AHL free agent, Matt Lorito, looking at DET.

50. Snowman says:

khildahl,

I was laughing the whole way through that. That was hilarious excuse making at its finest.

51. Klima's_Bucket says:

Pouzar,

Per Eklund???

52. Pouzar says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Pouzar,

Per Eklund???

Gord No.

53. Water Fire says:

theDjdj:

The spin from Chirelli and Shero is the ‘doing business – hard decision’ line, the thing is it doesn’t pass the smell test for many here, the value doesn’t line up, and good GM’s don’t trade their currently best player for any unestablished player (excpept someone like McDavid) who is clearly not in the same class at the time.

The other thing to rememeber is Chiarelli saying he turned down other deals after much ‘pavement pounding’ because he had to be patient and find the ‘right’ deal. What was the rush all of the sudden to make what wasn’t a good deal?

I cannot think of any previous deal like the Hall deal, including Chiralli trading Seguin. It is a clear loss now which is what matters.

I’m not suggesting and haven’t said Hall was a locker room problem, but he is a strong character, and they are changing the team. They are opening the floor so to speak, handing the team over to Connor, and making room for somebody like Lucic to come in to a group without a strong leader.

The point of this is to reestablish the identity of the team but more imortantly to have Connor as the centre of it. I don’t think it would be necessary to do this as it would naturally happen because Connor is so much better than everyone else, like Gretzky before.

This is the only line of thinking that lines up with how the deal went down and the feel of rashness around it, If the deal didn’t happen at this time, it would be very hard to do in the summer with certainty, and next season they want to ‘start as they mean to go’.

Typical Oiler behavior, sadly.

54. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Pouzar:
    Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC14s15 seconds ago

55. VanIsleOil says:

….The Ochre Ogre

Jethro Tull: Disgruntled Tangerine.

khildahl:
    I’ll go with Ill-Tempered Sherbet.

…The Lava Leviathon. Sign him now!!

56. Pouzar says:

Kiltymcbagpipes: Defenseman Wiercoch to Colorado and Centre Colborne to Edmonton would give more fuel to the Barrie for Hopkins fire.

Yup.

57. Pouzar says:

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 59s59 seconds ago

58. Oilspill says:

Your only speculating.it’s what happens forward not the past. Guy could turn into a perennial all star outside of Jersey.

Water Fire: Tough trades aren’t ones where you give up value, they are like the Weber trade where you get value back but have a hard time deciding to trade the player.

Typical Oiler behavior, sadly.

59. "Steve Smith" says:

So I’m at the office, because I’m flying to PEI tonight for a week-long conference and need to get some work done before I go.

How much work does anybody think I’m going to get done today, realistically?

60. khildahl says:

“Steve Smith”,

Will you briefly write a very brief brief?

61. Ryan says:

Wow. I always like Helm, but this is crazy.

62. Mr DeBakey says:

UnjustEnrichment: Disagree with you 100% on Yakupov. For this team to turn north, players who are definitely not part of the future (e.g. ones who cannot play a team game or learn to be better) must be sent away, even at reduced value.

This shouldn`t be a problem.
    No other NHL club gives away actual NHL calibre players for free like the Oilers.

And there is always someone wiling to come on here and explain to us why it was such a good idea again.

63. "Steve Smith" says:

khildahl,

Unfortunately, I don’t do brief. While brevity may be the soul of wit, excessive verbiage is the soul of Steve Smith’s submissions. It’s why I’m so popular among judges.

64. Professor Q says:

khildahl:
    “Steve Smith”,

Will you briefly write a very brief brief?

In his briefs.

65. jonrmcleod says:

Pouzar,

Your guy Gross-o?

66. "Steve Smith" says:

Professor Q,

Nah – always the danger that a colleague stops by. Plus, I’m a boxer-briefs man.

67. franksterra says:

“Steve Smith”,

How does “You’ll be writing notes on a beer-dampened Air Canada napkin tonight” sound?

68. Klima's_Bucket says:

Pouzar,

Thank Gord.

69. jake70 says:

“Steve Smith”:

How much work does anybody think I’m going to get done today, realistically?

Great weather out east today, rain tomorrow but sunny all week, good luck getting any work done in PEI, beautiful there in summer…..say hi to Dion if you run into him.

70. "Steve Smith" says:

franksterra,

“Prescient”? Is that the word I’m looking for? I think that’s right.

71. vinotintazo says:

I dont mind colborne.

72. skidplate says:

“Steve Smith”:

How much work does anybody think I’m going to get done today, realistically?

Depends if work means what you think it means

73. Water Fire says:

Oilspill:

Yes you are right, but the issue is that what happens in the future does not excuse what happened now. The point of what a GM should do is increase the overall value of the group of players and make the team better, and keep doing it.

Elite players should bring a premium at the time of their trade. There should be more assets including the dice roll on the ‘promising’ Larsson. The other thing to remember is Larsson does not have established offesnse and while RHD may cost a premium, that seriously reduces his value.

This is exactly why he and Hamonic are on value contracts and guys like Barrie and Shattenkirk get paid highly despite being lesser players overall.

Would you trade your expensive house for lesser one in an area you think will become more valuable than the one you live in now straight across?

No, you would sell the one you have and buy the other and bank the difference. And if you are right you’ll also get the increase on your new house. That’s how you increasse your net worth.

74. Pouzar says:

jonrmcleod:
    Pouzar,

Your guy Gross-o?

shhhhhhhh

75. rickithebear says:

ONCE again:
    Lucic is 6’4″ 233lb
    last 3 years fwd rank
    #74 62G
    #59 158P
    #25 55 EVG from 1.75 Shots/gm
    #22 130 EVP
    242/246 gm played
    that means we required a1.30+ evp/60 drop from #13-14 fwd needed to replace him for 1.6 % of the games. (1gm/season)

Hall 6M
    #51 67G
    #27 183P
    #32 53 EVG
    #9 147 EVP
    210/246 gm played
    that means we required a 1.40+ evp/60 drop from #13-14 fwd need to replace him for 14.6% 0f the games. (12gm/season)

1 gm of -1.30 EVP/60 player
    12gm -1.40 EVP/60 player
    That is a huge impact on games won!

76. Mr DeBakey says:

Pouzar: Oilers did have some discussions with Gryba camp about a new deal but the trade for Larsson likely put that to rest.

Yeah
    Don`t want more than 2 RHD cluttering up your top 23.

77. "Steve Smith" says:

rickithebear,

Tell me ONCE again, Ricki, what do you think of Hall’s injury history?

78. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

rickithebear:
    ONCE again:
    Lucic is 6’4″ 233lb
    last 3 years fwd rank
    #74 62G
    #59 158P
    #25 55 EVG from 1.75 Shots/gm
    #22 130 EVP
    242/246 gm played
    that means we required a1.30+ evp/60 drop from#13-14 fwdneeded to replace him for 1.6 % of the games. (1gm/season)

Hall 6M
    #51 67G
    #27 183P
    #32 53 EVG
    #9 147EVP
    210/246 gm played

1 gm of -1.30 EVP/60 player
    12gm -1.40 EVP/60 player
    That is a huge impact on games won!

Move on.

79. "Steve Smith" says:

Kiltymcbagpipes: Move on.

You must be new here.

80. Younger Oil says:

9:45 AM and TSN is already off the rails.

81. JimmyV1965 says:

Frank the dog:
    Then there’s this:

Funny. That was one of my first concerns when I heard the news of Hall being traded. I’m sure McDavid will get over this, but you only get so many gimmes.

82. khildahl says:

Younger Oil,

Yeah, that was a three-beers-in panel discussion.

83. Pouzar says:

Pouzar:
    Rumors of Radulov to MTL

Travis Yost
    ‏@travisyost
    Alexander Radulov has signed with Montreal.

84. "Steve Smith" says:

Pouzar,

We’re still fourteen minutes away from that actually being able to happen, correct?

85. UnjustEnrichment says:

Mr DeBakey,

The status quo is unacceptable. Change is inevitable and necessary. Rather than wallowing in self-doubt and indecision, one must take charge and do the necessary pruning and cultivating, so that something new will begin to grow. Stagnation and inaction bread further stagnation and inaction, and more last-place finishes.

86. khildahl says:

“Steve Smith”,

Yes, but I don’t know that Radulov particularly cares about rules around contracts.

87. Younger Oil says:

JimmyV1965: Funny. That was one of my first concerns when I heard the news of Hall being traded.I’m sure McDavid will get over this, but you only get so many gimmes.

To be fair, he’s not going to say “I’m happy he’s gone. Dude never did the dishes.” in an interview. I wouldn’t look too much into it.

88. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Mr DeBakey: Yeah
    Don`t want more than 2 RHD cluttering up your top 23.

Klef-Larsson
    Sekera-Barrie
    Nurse-Davy
    Gryba

Anyone in top 4 gets hurt LH or RH and Davidson moves up while Gryba fills in for him on 3rd pairing with Oesterle and Reinhart top pairing in AHL

89. Pouzar says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Pouzar,

Radulov could be playing in Sweden before the day is out.

90. "Steve Smith" says:

khildahl:
    “Steve Smith”,

This is the kind of quick wit that’s going to prevent me from getting anything done at the office today.

91. rickithebear says:

you want the best at a skill in the game for as cheap as Possible.

Larsson 5yr @ 4.167M PC flipped the cover.
    top 10 COMP

Davidson: 2 yr @ 1.425M TAMBO
    bot 2nd comp
    top 30 HSCA D
    top 15 PKGA D
    #1 PPG/60 D

Talbot 4.166M MACT
    top 5 SAVE% last 3 years in the .915 to .8000 shots.
    1. price (28) 2yr @ 6.5M
    2. holtby (26) 4yr @ 6.1M
    3. Schnieder (30) 6yr @ 6M
    4. Lundquist (24) 5yr @ 8.5M
    5. Talbot (28) 3yr @ 4.166M

92. LMHF#1 says:

There are some really strong secondary players out there today. Hope Chiarelli doesn’t get too fixated on the 1 or 2 guys at the top.

Remember the BS excuses of past years along the lines of “I was on the phone at the time” or “I was chasing Hossa”?

Gawd…

93. rickithebear says:

Kiltymcbagpipes: I’d be good with Gryba as #7 assuming we had a guy like Barrie and Fayne is moved out.

Klef-Larsson
    Sekera-Barrie
    Nurse-Davy
    Gryba

I would be happier if we did not get Barrie and cancel out the GA diff that required trading taylor hall.

94. square_wheels says:

Thank you Button for pissing on the Russel fire – he’s a 4/5 that if played higher has big problems.

95. theDjdj says:

Typical Oiler behavior, sadly.

I don’t think anybody in Nashville thought twice about trading Weber. Montreal won nothing out of that trade except they got rid of a player.

“The spin from Chirelli and Shero is the ‘doing business – hard decision’ line, the thing is it doesn’t pass the smell test for many here, the value doesn’t line up”- whose value line though? We value Hall highly. His contributions are measurable. But we know sweet fa about the trade market. We’ve no idea whether the other 29 GM’s value Hall as highly as we do.

To be honest, this was always going to happen. If you don’t develop D in house you pay the world to acquire it later. The outgoing player’s value to the team is never going to match 1:1 to the incoming player if that player has higher market price based on supply/demand.

In a way it’s like world currency*. My whole dollar might buy me a loaf here, but go to another country and I could find it buying only 50c worth. My dollar is still worth the same at home but the market deems it less valuable abroad.

*caveat: I know nothing about economics this analogy is probably completely factually inaccurate

96. rickithebear says:

Kiltymcbagpipes: Move on.

Thanks for that expert IDEA!

97. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

“Steve Smith”: You must be new here.

I visit here from time to time when I’m not in LT’s penalty box for my drunken rants 🙂

98. "Steve Smith" says:

Kiltymcbagpipes: Move on.

“Steve Smith”: You must be new here.

rickithebear: SO your Position is #13-14 forward can impact the game like a top 25 even player.

Thanks for that expert IDEA!

99. thehop says:

If RNH gets shipped, I’d love to see Staal here on a 2 year deal with value. Can slide up and down the lineup and we need veteran leadership…..

100. Mr DeBakey says:

rickithebear: avidson: 2 yr @ 1.425M TAMBO
    bot 2nd comp
    top 30 HSCA D
    top 15 PKGA D
    #1 PPG/60 D

I especially like how Tambo waited in the weeds til pick 162.
    That guy, inscrutable.

101. Woogie63 says:

Pouzar:
    Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor22m22 minutes ago
    Could see Colborne to Edm… Chiarelli drafted him in first round in 2008.

This

102. Professor Q says:

Pouzar: Travis Yost
    ‏@travisyost
    Alexander Radulov has signed with Montreal.

Damn it.

If Yak somehow is reunited with Galchenyuk, Montreal could be the Russian Canadian team…

103. Chachi says:

I think Marc Bergevin is trying to reassemble the 2007/2008 Nashville Predators in Montreal. We will know for sure if he brings Radek Bonk back next.

104. square_wheels says:

Woogie63,

That’s not a player I have too much issue with if he’s in our bottom 6.

105. thehop says:

Woogie63,

Any mention of price and term?

I like him too, I’d rather have Staal but that’s just me

106. Pouzar says:

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 13s14 seconds ago
    Principe: Just had text contact w/ someone involved in negotiations involving #Oilers and Lucic. Signing should happen fairly quickly.

107. Ryan says:

Thanks for that expert IDEA!

Who’re your top 15 1st comp right shot defensemen?

108. Professor Q says:

thehop:

Which Staal?

109. JimmyV1965 says:

Typical Oiler behavior, sadly.

Well said. The issue isn’t trading Hall. The issue is the return.

110. rickithebear says:

Clolburne – XXX – Hudler PVP comp
    3.57 GF/60 2.62 GA/60 +.95 GD
    Coulburne .95 EVG/60 2.62 EVP/60
    Hudler .95 EVG/60 3.18 EVP/60

111. LMHF#1 says:

Professor Q: Which Staal?

Eric

112. "Steve Smith" says:

Professor Q: Which Staal?

Abraham. Real firecracker, that guy.

113. franksterra says:

I thought Trump was the oddest looking man in recent national politics, but seeing so much of Johnson and Gove lately – what muppety mugs…

114. rickithebear says:

JimmyV1965: Well said.The issue isn’t trading Hall.The issue is the return.

Mcdcvid the student of the game probably understands what getting the best GA D who faced the toughest even situation possible is worth!

115. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Thanks for that expert IDEA!

No my position is a player who delivers game altering hits, aggressive forecheck and makes the players around him more comfortable on the ice is AT LEAST as valuable as a one man show who “pushes the river.” This is McDavid’s team whether you like it or not.

We tried it your way for 5 years. You had your chance now it’s Chia’s way and he has won a Stanley Cup. Have you?

116. Younger Oil says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 21s22 seconds ago

Milan Lucic has signed with the Edmonton Oilers, source confirms

117. Frank the dog says:

YES! Lucic is ours. Welcome Milan!

118. thehop says:

Done deal…

Eric Staal is the guy I’m going on about

119. "Steve Smith" says:

Kiltymcbagpipes,

It’s a tribute to Ricki’s epic communication skills that the two of you don’t realize that you’re on the same side of this debate.

120. Professor Q says:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 21s22 seconds ago

Milan Lucic has signed with the Edmonton Oilers, source confirms

121. Professor Q says:

Damn it, I thought I’d continue the wave…

122. Factotum says:

I wonder how many trees a bear can count without ever noticing that he lives in a forest.

“But there are just so MANY trees….”

123. "Steve Smith" says:

Factotum,

Depends – can a bear chuck wood? Does the Pope shit in the woods?

124. Pouzar says:

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 2m2 minutes ago
    Principe: Perron two years w/ #stlblues. $7.75 million total.

125. thehop says:

This tsn feed is hilarious. Gord Miller is yapping while the guy who know what’s going on are jamming on their phones… Not paying attention to a word he is saying..

126. rickithebear says:

Ryan: Who’re your top 15 1st comp right shot defensemen?

well with the Offensive affect by puck pocession.
    DEVG/60 .17
    DEVA1/60 .26
    DEVA2/60 ..31
    FwdEVA2/60 .37
    FWD EVA1/60 .52
    FWDEVG/60 .65

I want a dman who can make a transition pass (to fwd) decision quicker than any other d in the game.
    and
    a d that keeps the GA down at Even and PK no maytter how hard the situation.

Get uck to best GF producers as fast as possible.
    Prevent the GA at even and PK as best as possible.

127. "Steve Smith" says:

For me, the magic numbers in the Lucic contract are both 6 – I want that as a the ceiling on both term and money. Not that I’ll love 6X6, mind you, but I might not retch.

128. "Steve Smith" says:

rickithebear,

That’s only twelve.

129. Pouzar says:

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 2m2 minutes ago
    7 years 42m. Lucic to @EdmontonOilers

130. theDjdj says:

7 years at 6million for Lucic. We’re locked in now. This is the cost of being competitive ASAP.

131. "Steve Smith" says:

Yeah, there’s the retching.

132. "Steve Smith" says:

Nielsen to Detroit.

133. khildahl says:

It’s the mark of an Oilers fan that my response to the contract is “At least it isn’t $7 million.”

134. "Steve Smith" says:

khildahl:

Optimist: mine was “At least it’s not $8.5 million”.

135. Pouzar says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 28s29 seconds ago
    David Backes is going to BOS on a one year deal.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 26s27 seconds ago
    Scratch that one year deal for Backes to BOS. Backes to BOS. Terms TBA.

136. "Steve Smith" says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Nielsen to Detroit.

For SIX YEARS at $5.25 million. Note that buddy is 32 years old – Lordy.

137. Chachi says:

Pouzar:
    Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie28s29 seconds ago
    David Backes is going to BOS on a one year deal.

Weird; 1 year?

138. Chris says:

The last three years of that contract have boat anchor written all over it. Terrible deal by Chia which will hurt the Oilers long term. Based on the last couple days we ought to have left MacT in charge.

139. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Steve Ewen
    @SteveEwen:

“Asked why he signed with the Edmonton Oilers, Milan Lucic texted simply “97.” Yes, that’s Connor McDavid’s jersey number.”

I just got goosebumps and a semi.

140. khildahl says:

“Steve Smith”: For SIX YEARS at $5.25 million.Note that buddy is 32 years old – Lordy.

Followed right up by Vancouver signing Eriksson at 6×6.

141. jonrmcleod says:

The Oilers Rig @TheOilersRig
    If you compare the Lucic deal to the ones lesser players Ladd, Nielsen, and Erickson got, you might say the Oilers got a deal. -jm

142. Pouzar says:

Steve Ewen ‏@SteveEwen 5m5 minutes ago
    Milan Lucic said multiple distractions of playing in his home town were part of what kept him from signing with the Canucks. #NHLFreeagency

143. TeeVee says:

7 years for Ladd in NYI. Wow…

144. "Steve Smith" says:

Kiltymcbagpipes,

That’s not actually a nine – it’s an upside-down six. He was describing his contract.

145. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Chris:

So if we win a Cup within 4 years would it not be worth it?

146. LMHF#1 says:

Chachi: Weird; 1 year?

Said on TV he tweeted that in error. Terms to come.

147. Pouzar says:

Steve Ewen ‏@SteveEwen 8m8 minutes ago

148. "Steve Smith" says:

jonrmcleod:
    The Oilers Rig @TheOilersRig

I don’t actually disagree with this – it’s certainly silly season, and Lucic deal is already not the worst one signed today.

149. Halfwise says:

So Hall plus Demers was one possibility, but it’s Lucic plus Larsson instead, for less money. I’m ok with that.

At least there’s a plan and it’s being followed.

150. LadiesloveSmid says:

Lucic says decision came down to playing with McDavid.

151. Pouzar says:

5yrs for Backes

152. "Steve Smith" says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Lucic says decision came down to playing with McDavid.

If that’s the case, I’m not sure why we needed to give him seven years.

153. theDjdj says:

Marian Hossa is 37. He’s not elite but he’s not absolute shit either. And he’s 2 years older now than Lucic will be when this deal term is finished.

He’s a very good track record for health. Let’s chill on the prognosis of 3-4 years. We’re not doctors.

154. "Steve Smith" says:

Okposo to Buffalo on a contract identical to Lucic’s.

155. "Steve Smith" says:

So are we to understand that there’s no NTC/NMC on Lucic’s contract? If so, I admit that it’s a better contract than I feared it was going to be.

156. Frank the dog says:

Chris:

MacT would not have landed Lucic. Not at any price.
    MacT would have accepted the Montreal deal. NJ would have fleeced Hall+ for Larsson.
    Mact T does not have the respect of the other GM’s

Lucic didn’t just come for McD and term, he also came for Chia.
    I was a MacT supporter until the end, but MacT was not up to the job. Chia is.

157. khildahl says:

Lucic can’t stop talking about McDavid.

158. One-Timer says:

One-Timer: I just keep refreshing this site, waiting for people to retweet stuff.And that’s actually true.

There, see? All the breaking news, no talking heads.

159. "Steve Smith" says:

Brouwer to the Falmes, 4 years X $4.5 million. I don’t know the player well, but at a glance that doesn’t look bad – am I wrong?

Eric Staal to Minnesota, 3 years X $3.5 million. Abraham’s still available.

160. theDjdj says:

Okposo got the same 7 year x 6m deal and Ladd went to NYI for 7 year x 5.5m. With this in mind we did very well here.

When everyone overpays nobody overpays.

161. khildahl says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Abraham’s still available.

Presumably waiting quietly in a garden?

162. Frank the dog says:

khildahl:
    Lucic can’t stop talking about McDavid.

Nor Chia. In fact Chia was the deciding factor between us and Montreal.

163. Mr DeBakey says:

“Steve Smith”:
    Brouwer to the Falmes, 4 years X $4.5 million.I don’t know the player well, but at a glance that doesn’t look bad – am I wrong?

Eric Staal to Minnesota, 3 years X $3.5 million.Abraham’s still available.

Hey “Steve“, there a new thread!

164. "Steve Smith" says:

Mr DeBakey,

Your mom’s a new thread.

165. Ryan says:

khildahl:
    Lucic can’t stop talking about McDavid.

I thought I heard him say something like he’s the best player he’s ever seen.

166. Pouzar says:

Ahhhhhhh……..that’s too bad.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 42s43 seconds ago
    Source also confirms that Habs were runner-up for Lucic,

167. Pouzar says:

Backes at 6 mil per year at age 32.