OILERS SIGN BEAR

The Edmonton Oilers signed Ethan Bear to his entry-level contract today, as the team (well, the kids) head out to Jasper Arena for the Orientation Camp. Bear earned the contract with a splendid draft +1 season, a year in which his offense spiked courtesy the power play.

The Oilers took him No. 124 overall. Craig Button had him No. 77. “There is a lot of ability in his game to impact in a positive way. He gets where he needs to be, he never gets himself in trouble. He’s a body-on-body one-on-one competitor. If you want to play against him in the defensive zone, you’ll have to earn everything you get. He can get the puck out of the zone well, he knows what his options are, doesn’t get himself into trouble. Smart player.”

This blog first mentioned Ethan Bear in February 2015, a few months before he was drafted by the Oilers. Craig MacTavish was on a scouting trip and we got tipped off about it. I was so familiar with him at the time, called him Nathan Bear.

• He’s 5.11, 204 and he kind of sounds like an Oilers pick (their smaller blue are usually offensive types like Hunt and Laleggia) and the skating and transition game are interesting. Fifth round pick? Seems like a reasonable bet.
By draft day I had him No. 38 overall, and he was a flat out bargain when the Oilers took him at No. 124 overall—in the fifth round. A long way to go, this is a good day for him and we wish him the best.

50 Responses to "OILERS SIGN BEAR"

1. vinotintazo says:

Right side looking better now.

2. Mr DeBakey says:

vinotintazo:
    Right side looking better now.

In 2020, for sure.
    Maybe even before!

3. RPG says:

I might be wrong, but Bear isn’t the first player to sign his ELC during prospect camp. Very happy to see him sign. The force looks strong with this one.

4. Gordie Wayne says:

Could be playing in third pair next year when you look at depth on right side… only half joking here. 🙂

All joking aside, this is an excellent signing, can’t wait to see how he develops, I am sure he will make a fine NHL player one day.

5. Gino says:

Excellent ! More added youth, depth and right shot D.

6. Andy Dufresne says:

Caleb Jones $800K AVV
    $705K Cap Hit
    $655K NHL salary

Ethan Bear $925K AVV
    $925K Cap Hit
    $925K NHL Salary

Jones a 4th rounder
    Bear a 5th rounder
    Bear did pretty good.
    Jones more bonus oriented contract.
    (according to CapFriendly)

Andy Dufresne:
    Caleb Jones$800K AVV $705K Cap Hit$655K NHL salary

Ethan Bear$925KAVV$925KCap Hit$925KNHL Salary

Jones a 4th rounder
    Bear a 5th rounder
    Bear did pretty good.
    Jones more bonus oriented contract.
    (according to CapFriendly)

Reflection of the offense delivered this past season. Jones may end up being the better play. Early days.

8. wheatnoil says:

****** SPAM ******

I wrote this during the peak of pre-draft rumours but I’ll post it again here in the Ethan Bear thread. It’s about Bear and comparing his scoring numbers last year to Caleb Jones.

****** END SPAM *******

9. Andy Dufresne says:

on an unrelated note

Milan Lucic 8, 8, 7, 6, 4, 5, 4

23mil in first 3 year and only 13mill in last 3 years.

No big deal….just wonder why 4, 5 ,4 and not 5, 4 , 4 ?

10. Andy Dufresne says:

Gotcha…..I still want Bears agent representing me 🙂

11. raventalon40 says:

Andy Dufresne:
    on an unrelated note

Milan Lucic 8, 8, 7, 6, 4, 5, 4

23mil in first 3 year and only 13mill in last 3 years.

No big deal….just wonder why 4, 5 ,4and not5, 4 , 4 ?

Probably some trade deadline cap work around for salary remaining for the first year he might be tradeable

12. wheatnoil says:

Andy Dufresne:
    Caleb Jones$800K AVV $705K Cap Hit$655K NHL salary

Ethan Bear$925KAVV$925KCap Hit$925KNHL Salary

Jones a 4th rounder
    Bear a 5th rounder
    Bear did pretty good.
    Jones more bonus oriented contract.
    (according to CapFriendly)

I could be wrong, but I believe Capfriendly doesn’t have confirmed numbers yet, so set the salary to max.

13. Admiral Ackbar says:

Finally! Kid looks good, amazing boxcars.

Are we finally going to convert on a draft choice outside of the 1st round???

14. square_wheels says:

Connor Bleackley signed his entry level with St Lous as well.

The Blues have a very nice player for a draft re-entry.

15. Visually better says:

Don’t know if you have heard or not LT,

Your boy and my good friend of mine Josh Winquist has signed with the Islanders farm team Bridgeport. Pretty exciting stuff, he’s very excited to say the least. Great deal of exposure on that club, and has some opportunity there Aswell no question.

Visually better:
    Don’t know if you have heard or not LT,

Ah, I had not. Well, I know he did everything he could to get a deal here and hopefully an NHL deal awaits him in the coming years. Sail on! 🙂

17. Ducey says:

Admiral Ackbar:
    Finally! Kid looks good, amazing boxcars.

Are we finally going to convert on a draft choice outside of the 1st round???

Davidson?

18. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Andy Dufresne:
    on an unrelated note
    Milan Lucic 8, 8, 7, 6, 4, 5, 4
    23mil in first 3 year and only 13mill in last 3 years.

No big deal….just wonder why 4, 5 ,4and not5, 4 , 4 ?

Hmm.
    2016/17 – $8
    2017/18 – $8
    2018/19 – $7
    2019/20 – $6
    2020/21 – $4 <– projected lockout year?
    2021/22 – $5
    2022/23 – $4

Do we think they jigged it this way so that if there's a full season lockout, Lucic looses only $4million instead of $5million?

19. AsiaOil says:

My last word on Taylor Hall. I really believe that the last 30 games of the season sealed Hall’s fate on the Oilers. A splendidly talented winger but the last 30 games of 2015-16 starting with the disastrous road east coast road trip in MTL and NYI saw him go 8-7-15 with 4 of those points in the last 2 games of the season. It wasn’t near good enough and I think it settled Chia and TMacs mind on the mental toughness and ability of this player to lead. He’s much more Kessel than Messier. I like Larsson a lot – would I have liked a RHD with a bit more offense – sure of course. But that’s a top 5 RHD and how many available for just Hall? That would be none.

The other thing is that blaming Chia for filling the gaping holes on defense with a Hall trade while barely mentioning Lowe and MacT is more than a bit disingenuous. Most of the people calling for Chia’s head or saying he could be fired next year are the same people who were whooping it up when MacT was made GM, shouting big brain, bold moves and making stupid Letterman gifs. Chia didn’t draft a bunch of smaller offensive guys and then fail to surround them with vets or size. Chia didn’t sign Ference, Nikitin, Shultz and Fayne. Chia didn’t think RHD were irrelevant. Chia didn’t fail with almost every UFA signing. Chia didn’t trash and then dump Dubnyk only to waste resources on 3rd rate goalies like Scrivins. Chia didn’t hire Eakins. Chia didn’t destroy the reputation of this proud franchise. Lowe and his BFF MacT did all of it. This team is miles better than it was 12 months ago but if MacT ever returns as GM it will be the last day I have anything to do with this team. Time for people to put on the big boy pants and realize tough decisions needed to be made to move forward. This is CMDs team and Hall will not be the last of that cluster to be moved.

20. slide rules says:

I am so pleased with Lucic, Larsson additions…Ethan Bear signs in bear country (jasper)…long suffering oiler fan (born and raised…Big E)…now in Halifax….first post here LT, but I have been following your blogs and insightful input everyday and also really enjoy your musical references…how about “I won’t back down” for then new look?…..thanks for all you do keeping us from away posted

21. LadiesloveSmid says:

HeatTreaterJoe: Hmm.
    2016/17 – $8
    2017/18 – $8
    2018/19 – $7
    2019/20 – $6
    2020/21 – $4 <– projected lockout year?
    2021/22 – $5
    2022/23 – $4

Do we think they jigged it this way so that if there’s a full season lockout, Lucic looses only $4million instead of $5million?

more amnesty buy-outs?

22. Bling says:

AsiaOil:
    My last word on Taylor Hall. I really believe that the last 30 games of the season sealed Hall’s fate on the Oilers. A splendidly talented winger but the last 30 games of 2015-16 starting with the disastrous road east coast road trip in MTL and NYI saw him go 8-7-15 with 4 of those points in the last 2 games of the season. It wasn’t near good enough and I think it settled Chia and TMacs mind on the mental toughness and ability of this player to lead. He’s much more Kessel than Messier. I like Larsson a lot – would I have liked a RHD with a bit more offense – sure of course. But that’s a top 10 RHD and how many available for just Hall? That would be none.

The other thing is that blaming Chia for filling the gaping holes on defense with a Hall trade while barely mentioning Lowe and MacT is more than a bit disingenuous. Most of the people calling for Chia’s head or saying he could be fired next year are the same people who were whooping it up when MacT was made GM, shouting big brain, bold moves and making stupid Letterman gifs. Chia didn’t draft a bunch of smaller offensive guys and then fail to surround them with vets or size. Chia didn’t sign Ference, Nikitin, Shultz and Fayne. Chia didn’t think RHD were irrelevant. Chia didn’t fail with almost every UFA signing. Chia didn’t trash and then dump Dubnyk only to waste resources on 3rd rate goalies like Scrivins. Chia didn’t hire Eakins. Chia didn’tdestroy the reputation of this proud franchise. Lowe and his BFF MacT did all of it. This team is miles better than it was 12 months ago but if MacT ever returns as GM it will be the last day I have anything to do with this team. Time for people to put on the big boy pants and realize tough decisions needed to be made to move forward. This is CMDs team and Hall will not be the last of that cluster to be moved.

I don’t mind the Hall trade as much as some do. I still think it’s a bad trade, but I do think there is significant upside and value in Larsson. I do think he is a significant player right now, adjusting for his situation in New Jersey.

Chia’s record speaks for itself. If we exclude the Hall trade, which I think we should revisit in a year, we still have to explain the Marincin, Reinhart, and Korpse moves, and the inability to land PK. We still have to explain his stubbornness on Darnell Nurse. I find it curious that he was willing to part with Taylor Hall, but not a package centered around Nurse for Hamonic (as was previously rumored).

I think Chia favours certain attributes in players that may not be related to winning hockey games. We do know of things that definitely win hockey games (possession, controlled zone entries, scoring chance data, etc.), which he sometimes ignores.

I cannot help but think a more progressive GM could have addressed our balance issues in a more creative manner than trading away our second best forward.

I think this is why people are frustrated.

23. Water Fire says:

AsiaOil: The other thing is that blaming Chia for filling the gaping holes on defense with a Hall trade while barely mentioning Lowe and MacT is more than a bit disingenuous.

Chiarelli is supposed to be different than them and make things better. Their mistakes are not cover for any he makes.

He has started by losing a lot of value on two trades for defensemen. That is how the old regime operated, the only difference being he got one decent NHL player. It is a legitimate cause for concern.

Their is no other hole on the team that requires an asset loss by any logic, so he has the opportunity to do better and back up the story he’s spun that those deals were hard business decisions.

Any further liquidation sales speak to him being wrong minded.

I agree with LT, he’s now on thin ice after that deal, and his thinking better pan out right, and soon.

24. Hockey Buddha says:

Love the Nathan Bear signing.

25. Pescador says:

HeatTreaterJoe: Hmm.
    2016/17 – $8
    2017/18 – $8
    2018/19 – $7
    2019/20 – $6
    2020/21 – $4 <– projected lockout year?
    2021/22 – $5
    2022/23 – $4

So let’s say there is a lockout **spits** that year. He gets 2 million before the shit hits the fan.

26. Water Fire says:

Hockey Buddha:
    Love the Nathan Bear signing.

Yes good news

27. lynn says:

Hockey Buddha,

Hockey Buddha:
    Love the Nathan Bear signing.

Ethan, I believe.

28. Water Fire says:

I’ll drop it now ( or try :)) but I think I feel the need to refute any leeway people are giving on the Hall deal because the Oilers are out of Mulligans.

We fans have been giving them mulligans for years. No more. Excuses are far past being acceptable. It’s time to see something good, and competent people making competent decisions based on how the game and league are now, not 5 years ago or 25 years ago.

29. Frank the dog says:

Bling: Not fair to judge him on that last 30 games, IMO. Lots of guys, even elite guys, have cold streaks like that. What were people saying about Crosby earlier this year?

I think this is why people are frustrated.

There were obviously players Chia wanted to keep and players he wanted/wants to unload. This blog seems to think that Chia should have gutted the roster of Drai, Nurse/Klef, and Poolparty for the privilege of taking on a $100m? (10×10) cap hit. I’m sure MacT would have done that which is why he’s not GM. PK doesn’t have magical powers. I don’t even know if Pronger would have commanded such a hign price. I think Chia showed his astuteness by declining that trade. Good on him for that.
    Put this way, by trading out Hall, the whole became more than the sum of the parts. For all his skill and talents, with hall, the team was less than the sum of its parts. This is not an indictment on Hall. It’s an indictment on the management and coaching that preceded Chia. I think he is the first one with the necessary support from Management to make the necessary changes. Lowe, Tambo and MacT didn’t have Nicholson to oversee them and also didn’t have the necessary skills or experience to know when to pull the trigger and when to walk away. Witness Schneider and Clarkson.
    As I said, the new whole is better than the sum of the old parts.

30. Water Fire says:

AsiaOil: My last word on Taylor Hall. I really believe that the last 30 games of the season sealed Hall’s fate on the Oilers. A splendidly talented winger but the last 30 games of 2015-16 starting with the disastrous road east coast road trip in MTL and NYI saw him go 8-7-15 with 4 of those points in the last 2 games of the season. It wasn’t near good enough and I think it settled Chia and TMacs mind on the mental toughness and ability of this player to lead.

This thought supports what I have said about the deal as well, that the only piece that adds any sense to the deal is that it also was a ‘character issue’ dump of the player as Subban was. Hall’s comments hint at issues – ‘slighted’ and ‘indictment of me as a player’.

Bling: I find it curious that he was willing to part with Taylor Hall, but not a package centered around Nurse for Hamonic (as was previously rumored).
    I think this is why people are frustrated.

Well put

31. Frank the dog says:

Water Fire: Chiarelli is supposed to be differentthan them and make things better. Their mistakes are not cover for any he makes.
    Edit: Having read the posts that came through while I was drafting this between BBQ and work, I think We’re mostly in agreement that there were unspecified issues with both PK and Hall that may have contributed to them getting shopped in spite of the furor that mgmt. knew that wold cause.

Any further liquidation sales speak to him being wrong minded.

Hall appears to have been shopped. PK was shopped. CMD was never shopped. One is a keeper, the other two, management, with information known only to them, felt both needed to be moved in spite of the predictable roar from the fan base. In this instance, I don’t want to know but it’s fucking clear Chia and Montreal a) Did what they did in the interests of the team; and b) Know things about their players that we don’t and may never find out.
    New Jersey, on the other hand, was not shopping Larsson, and said they only relented when it turned out they could get Taylor Hall in return. The situation for Taylor is different there. He’ll be the star of the show. He’ll be supported by a stronger defense. Hopefully he will leave behind the mistakes of the past, whatever they may be.
    It’s true that Chia will have to make this work to keep his job but what’s new about that? He’d be equally canned if he kept Taylor and ended up with a lottery pick next season.

32. stevezie says:

Frank the dog: He’d be equally canned if he kept Taylor and ended up with a lottery pick next season.

Doing nothing was not the only alternative to making a bad trade!!!

Hockey Buddha:
    Love the Nathan Bear signing.

Haha. I thought that was his name for some time.

34. rickithebear says:

Lowetide: Haha. I thought that was his name for some time.

Get off my lawn!
    Get a hair cut!
    Were are my pants?

35. HeatTreaterJoe says:

Pescador: Thought Lebrun said yesterday, Looch’s contract was nearly 50% upfront bonus each year on July 1.

Thanks a lot.

Let’s hope for no lockout, because it’s going to burn off the last year off of Larsson’s contract.

36. Frank the dog says:

stevezie: Doing nothing was not the only alternative to making a bad trade!!!

I’m not seeing him having a better alternative. If you are thinking the PK “trade” then we’ll jus thave to hold different opinions. I think that would be worse than nothing and a lot worse than the trade he made, and would have the result of us hitting the lottery once again.
    I don’t think Lowe had to gut the team to get Pronger, did he?
    So the trade preferred in this blog, IMHO would actually be the one that ended up getting him fired near seasons end.

37. Centre of attention says:

Some thoughts on Lucic coming here to play with McDavid. I think the time they spend together may end up being mostly on the powerplay, rather than being actual line mates.

Here’s my reasoning:

Lucic’s give-and-go style would fit better with Nuge and Eberle. Nuge and Eberle can somewhat establish a cycle too, with Lucic there to help establish possession in the corners I think they could be an effective trio.

McDavid should get skaters like Pouliot and Yak. I would like to see Draisaitl get a shot on McDavids wing as well. Drai’s backhand sauce pass could work wonders when combined with 97’s big brain. 97/29 have shown chemistry on the power play already as well IMO.

38. John Chambers says:

wheatnoil:
    ****** SPAM ******

****** END SPAM *******

In terms of weighting, I’d say a goal is worth 1 pt, a primary assist .8 pts, and a 2nd assist .6 pts. Altogether 2nd assists shouldn’t be entirely discounted especially for D men as the play from the defensive zone to the goal ultimately starts with a nice play off their stick.

39. John Chambers says:

wheatnoil,

Your work has been outstanding by the way. Were you previously posting under another handle?

40. Ducey says:

Nilsson traded to BUF for a 5th rounder.

41. John Chambers says:

stevezie: Doing nothing was not the only alternative to making a bad trade!!!

Replied to you at the end of the previous thread re: the Hall trade in case you care to continue to dialog on the Hall trade.

42. striatic says:

Bear has a hell of a shot, but part of his PP Wizardry has been his ability to create puck movement with Barzal on the half wall, along with Barzal’s ability to challenge the net from that position giving Bear a lot of extra room to operate.

I’m sure his PP point totals would not be nearly so gaudy without Barzal to work with, but not every Junior D-man has the shot to capitalize on the space Barzal creates, or get the puck to Barzal so cleanly and quickly.

43. wheatnoil says:

John Chambers: Here’s the thing – 2nd assists should be highly valued for D. They can imply a break out pass to a fwd who passes to another fwd for a goal.

You make a good point, which was echoed by Jaxon and I comment on it in the comments section of that post. I don’t think we need to worry greatly, but it’s something to watch. Even though what you point out makes sense in theory, second assists are no more “repeatable” for D than they are for forwards (at least at the NHL level), so a huge amount of secondary assists compared to few primary assists is still a minor red flag. Just something to follow for next year and to temper our expectations a little bit. Bear still has a ton going for him and is a wonderful draft pick.

And thanks! I haven’t posted under any handle but this one, mostly here in LT’s comments section. Jon McLeod asked me to come aboard The Oilers Rig a few months ago, so this is fairly new territory for me.

44. Water Fire says:

Frank the dog: He trades one player, admittedly an elite one, from a position of strength for another player who fills a glaring need and you call it a liquidation sale. Yet you criticize him for walking away from just that – Drai, Nurse/Klef, Poolparty for a hugely expensive player on a 10 year contract. Now that would be a liquidation sale.

Frank , you are a dog. This I people business.

🙂

Not everyone agrees about how bad a deal this was, and don’t care about the loss of equity for the team. We will have to not agree.

…………………………..

I mostly read here or look at TSN for updates. Sometimes I look at ON or C n B if I’m bored and have time. Not that the writing isn’t good, of course our gracious host is at ON and Gregor is strong lately.

I read Alan Hull at CnB today and his Hall piece was good. The poignant thing for me was a Rishaug twitter retort that the GM who said he had a better deal if they had called must have had his head in the sand as Hall had been on the market for months.

Chiarelli grows a stache at trade time and says cryptic nothing about the worst deal of his career.

After reading the article and thinking it seems so obvious to me he was told to trade Hall.

Hall’s reaction, Chiarelli’s demeanor, the twitter barbs at Ference, water bottle, pouty face on bench , calls for culture change, talk of soft play and character, it all adds up and paints a picture to me.

If there was a need to move and a corner they were painted into it was self imposed and arbitrary.

45. Ryan says:

See Gilbert, Tom prior to signing a big contract after registering 45 points largely fueled by second assists…

Hell, while you’re at it, check out Hall. Taylor’s second assist laden 80 pt season.

Second assists aren’t the new black.

46. OilersFuture says:

LadiesloveSmid: more amnesty buy-outs?

I think that’s a realistic possibility and was thinking about it. Lucic’s deal might only be a 4 or 5 year deal. In the next 4 years he should still be a first line winger, not Hall level but still a first line player. When there’s a new CBA in place the previous two lockouts there were ‘get out of jail’ free buy-outs. So the precedence has been set.

Let’s say the Oiler’s can buy out the last two years without any cap hit. You have bought Lucic for 38 Milliion for 5 years. It’s a deal that works for the Oilers and Lucic. His cap hit is 6 million but over the course of the contract he’s made over 7.5 million per year.

47. stevezie says:

John Chambers,

Thatwas a quality response and basically the best apology I’ve heard yet.

Still would have rather traded the universally admired assets we have (Drai, JP, or Nurse), or even just signed Demers and Redmond.

48. John Chambers says:

Ryan,

For forwards no, but for defense they represent zone-exit passing ability.

Like I say, goals are like $100 bills, primary assists worth $75, and second assists $50’s. C-notes are the most valuable but it doesn’t mean we should be throwing away our fifties.

49. John Chambers says:

stevezie,

It’s not hard for me to see why some would value Hall over Drai, but by my assumption is that by 2018 we might value the big Centre at the beginning of his 2nd contract ahead of the winger at the tail end of his.

I wasn’t a huge fan of Lucic until the presser when it really became apparent to me how valuable a mature professional will be in teams of elevating the rest of the team professionally as well as psychologically. We’ve observed many years of exasperation under the previous format and I think Lucic’s arrival ends that.

For what it’s worth I would’ve been most in favour of keeping Hall and trying a Poo + for Vatanen and signing Demers. I think we have to assume that Chiarelli also preferred to keep Hallsy but the trade he made was the only satisfactory return on the Austins.

I prefer Larsson to Barrie or Vatanen or Trouba because his defensive abilities are likely superior. If Barrie isn’t able to make Colorado a playoff team I can’t see that occurring in Edmonton.

50. delooper says:

stevezie: Doing nothing was not the only alternative to making a bad trade!!!

What was the other alternative that was on the table? Sorry, but I must have missed it. Was it made public?