THE SOFT PARADE

Drake Caggiula has a terrific resume. His cap hit ($1.35 million, with $425,000 in performance bonuses) for the next two years would make him an exceptional value contract should he make the team. His NHL equivalency (22-22-44) makes him a bona fide NHL prospect from the opening whistle of training camp. If the Edmonton Oilers are to contend for the playoffs at any time in the next two seasons, value contracts will play a part. Patrick Maroon ($1.5 million), Brandon Davidson ($1.425 million) and Connor McDavid will be value deals, Edmonton needs more.

Offense is the hardest thing to do, and this young man has it. Some may think there is no chance for Caggiula to make the NHL this fall, but last year’s crew who competed in the Billy Moores game had a pro and NHL story to tell. Here is a sample from a year ago:

• D Darnell Nurse. A man among boys, he swatted away opponents like flies. I would guess 95% of the falling came as a result of Nurse simply overwhelming players. Had some good battles, too. So mobile.
  • C Connor McDavid. He’s amazing. His extra skating gear is intoxicating and delightful. We’ve trained our brains to expect a certain set of possibilities during a specific on-ice moment, and McDavid surprises us by defying our collective expectations about how things will go by getting past the cone and having enough space to drive to the net. It’s like magic. Reminder: Shinny game against other kids, basically a neighborhood pickup game. It means nothing. The skating is fantastic, though.
  • C Leon Draisaitl. His passing is so good, it’s shocking. Leon’s creativity is going to make some right handed shooter a pile of money. He made a dire mistake against McDavid but was flying most of the night and was obviously one of the best players on the ice.
  • L Braden Christoffer. Had the puck on his stick a lot and did good things with it.
  • Source

berglund capture 1

FILIP BERGLUND

• The Black Book No. 91. Despite the large frame and not the fastest stride, Berglund actually has good finesse with the puck. He controls the puck very well and uses his size to protect it. He has good vision and can regularly execute accurate passes. When defending Berglund’s size helps and his defensive instincts are decent, but he is not a very physical player when considering his frame. His skating will also need to get better, he doesn’t have the prettiest stride in the world and he could stand to further improve his footwork along with his acceleration as he can be slow getting to pucks.
  • Future Considerations No. 187. Berglund really stands out because of his immense size. A real weapon from the point on the power play, his shot is pro ready and opponents are wise not to try and block it. He’s not a rocket on the skates by any means, but has good mobility for a kid his size. With his strength and reach, he protects the puck very well and can gain the offensive zone. Berglund needs to increase his foot speed, continue improving his play in the defensive zone, and use his size and reach better going forward.
  • The Bloggers Tribune: Berglund is an offensive minded right-handed defender. He is big but lacks the long smooth stride you often see from players with his frame. Berglund is great with the puck on his stick and while he’s not the fastest skater, he has no problem controlling the breakout. He has great vision and has shown the ability to be a key member of his team’s transition from defense to offense. He was passed over in last year’s draft but he’s improved significantly since then and could be the best second-year eligible players in the draft. Source

CHIARELLI’S MAIN LIST

1. Top-pairing RHD (Two-way skills—Adam Larsson)
  2. Find a replacement for Taylor Hall (Milan Lucic)
  3. Second-pairing RHD (Offensive defenseman)
  4. Acquire RHC with some skill
  5. Backup goalie (Jonas Gustavsson)

We are seeing the same thing this summer as last, some solutions appear adequate to good, others are unlikely to solve the problem. Is Jonas Gustavsson this year’s Lauri Korpikoski? I think there is a very real chance Laurent Brossoit wins the backup job sometime during the 2015-16 season.

• Peter Chiarelli: “We have to improve our defence, which we did. And we have to get bigger and heavier, with skill, which we did. I felt we’ve improved the team significantly. The proof will be in the pudding.” Source

One of the things Edmonton’s management is no doubt counting on is better health for next season. In a way, it is a trump card for next year, allowing (in my opinion) a summer of change before the roster is locked and loaded for the next two years (and the end of the McDavid entry-level deal). I received a significant amount of push back on the Lowdown yesterday when I said this Oilers team may have been as good or better by keeping Hall and simply signing Jason Demers—but I think that is absolutely the case. Suspect we have all had enough of what has become a toxic debate, but that doesn’t mean we cannot have a lively debate about the possibilities with Hall/Demers.

THE CHIARELLI EXTENDED PLAY LIST

1. Add a “Pisani” who can mentor, score 15, and play a two-way role up and down the lineup.
  2. Re-stock the shelves via the draft (Puljujarvi and the entire draft)
  3. Improve overall team speed (Puljujarvi)
  4. Offload Lauri Korpikoski (Bought out)
  5. Improve goaltending depth (added Nick Ellis, Gustavsson).
  6. Improve AHL quality (Caggiula, Russell, Ellis, Gustavsson, Fraser).
  7. Cull the LHD herd (have, in fact, added to the LHD group).

The Pisani should probably be on the top list, especially if PC chooses to keep his centers three. Most of the secondary list has been crossed off and in some cases very well. The goaltending remains a concern, up and down.

THE ASSETS LIST

1. Taylor Hall
  2. Cap space*
  3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  4. Benoit Pouliot
  5. Jordan Eberle
  6. 2017 1st round selection
  7. Nail Yakupov
  8. Mark Fayne
  9. Griffin Reinhart

The hope at this point (for me) is that the futures portion of this list (2017 picks, LHD, et cetera) would be the big part of assets gone or going. If Peter Chiarelli can find a Tyson Barrie—and there are some options still out there—without giving up RNH or higher, then I think we can reasonably discuss a team that is heading toward balance. That would be a significant accomplishment, despite the incredible cost.

CURRENT 50-MAN (46)

Capture

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. I believe you will want to tune in:

• Darcy McLeod, Because Oilers. A week ago, we talked with Darcy—fresh from news of the deal. A week later, we will drill down on Larsson—his talents, how much value should be placed on them, and how valuable those talents would be to the Edmonton Oilers.
  • Don Landry, CFL.ca and Yahoo Sports. Week 3 of the CFL is straight ahead, and some big cames—one at Commonwealth—are ready to go. We will preview.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. Frank had Taylor Hall on his trade list, and also had RNH, Jordan Eberle and Nail Yakupov. We will discuss the rest of the summer and what may have changed since the Hall trade.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter.

109 Responses to "THE SOFT PARADE"

1. Centre of attention says:

It would be interesting to see how Demers would of faired vs top comp with Klefbom vs how Larsson will do.

One *probably* unpopular opinion I have: The powerplay will get much better without Hall on it. That is not a knock on Hall (ok maybe kind of) but his absence will let McDavid/Nuge have more touches and that is a good thing. Hopkins is a wizard on the man advantage and at times Taylor looked him off or took his favorite spot on the half boards, trying to force plays.

The power play improving may end up balancing out the offence lost at even strength from Taylor, but its an admittedly hopeful idea at best.

2. Clay says:

How good would this roster look simply by having Petry in that 2nd RD spot?

Thanks, Craig!

3. Jethro Tull says:

Centre of attention: We’ll never know because the deed is done but I have a feeling this Larsson kid might be able to saddle the load a bit better, and for a longer period than Demers.

And cheaper. And Demers is likely as good as he’s ever going to get. Whilst I acknowledge Demers is a good solid 2nd pairing NHL d man, he hasn’t been playing at saw off against the beasts of the East. I’m sad we traded Hall, but happy not to be paying 1st pairing money for 5+ years to another 2nd pairing d man.

Every team is better with Hall. It’s more a question of if you’re worse off having no competent D.

4. Jethro Tull says:

“Taylor was someone I enjoyed coaching and I wish him well, but our moves were made to try and improve our team going forward,” Woodcroft said.

The uncoachable Taylor Hall.

5. Richard S.S. says:

The Griffin Reinhart acquisition rates higher now. If he’s NHL ready, the Oilers still do not reach the Postseason. More importantly, they don’t get Puljujarvi and probably still trade Hall.

6. westcoastjos says:

Centre of attention:

While you’re not wrong – I think a lot of that could have been alleviated by playing the PP units differently instead of a stacked unit. I’ve played on teams where there is a stacked unit though and it can definitely be tough to get something good going when everyone wants to be the leader on the line. There is a reason the “too many cooks in the kitchen” quote exists and I think the Oilers PP were victims of that mentality. The team overall might have more balance now, but even adjusting the lines differently could have also brought balance to the team.

7. Centre of attention says:

westcoastjos,

Agree with the points you raised.

8. Centre of attention says:

Jethro Tull:

The uncoachable Taylor Hall.

9. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I felt that Pouliot-RNH-Eberle in the back half of the 2013-2014 season (when Hall was hurt) was our best line that season. I remember remarking how RNH looked more assertive on that line away from Hall, like not having the easy way out of letting Hall lug it up the ice made him turn it up a notch.

I’d like to see them all healthy and matched up again. That would help ease some of the pain from the Hall trade. None of those guys brought that punch with them consistently last season, especially RNH.

10. Ca$h-McMoney! says:
  11. Centre of attention says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Centre of attention,

Sarcasm?

*woosh sound* yeah that probably went right over my head LOL.

12. Centre of attention says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    I felt that Pouliot-RNH-Eberle in the back half of the 2013-2014 season (when Hall was hurt) was our best line that season.I remember remarking how RNH looked more assertive on that line away from Hall, like not having the easy way out of letting Hall lug it up the ice made him turn it up a notch.

I’d like to see them all healthy and matched up again.That would help ease some of the pain from the Hall trade.None of those guys brought that punch with them consistently last season, especially RNH.

The powerplay was also rocking the casba up until Taylor came back. Nuge and now McDavid are far better choices on the man advantage.

Again, Taylor pulled more than his weight at even strength. NOT trying to insult Taylor here.

13. kinger_OIL says:

– You know what there is a lot we will never know. Wasting time speculating on how this team would look with so-and-so, instead of so-and-so, and if we had kept this guy, traded for that guy?

– When I was a kid on the Boys in the Bus, they talked about how they were going to win 10 cups. Some like to speculate about how many Cups Gretz and co. would have won together,.

– Unquantifiable opinions on these matters, don’t do anything to further the discussion of the team we have now, what left to do to improve, and where we think this team is

14. hags9k says:

Centre of attention:

I think Larsson is a better fit age wise for this group. I also agree about the power play. Taylor was no screaming hell with the man advantage, where his main contribution was zone entries, which can now be left to 97 and 93.

While we will miss Hall’s 5 vs 5 play, where he really did tilt the ice, we may be underestimating Larsson’s ability to defend and put us back on the attack more often. If Chia is right about him and he plays big minutes, (big ifs) the whole team should get a possession boost at evens.

The pudding comes out of the oven in October.

15. Richard S.S. says:

Small sample size is never a problem for Fans because that’s what every trade or signing is, a small sample size, part of the bigger picture. Sometimes all you have to work with is small sample size because there is no bigger picture. To ignore the bigger picture for the small sample size?

16. Soup Fascist says:

Other than the mentoring portion, is it inconceivable that Caligula …. er …… Caggiula IS Pisani? No NHL track record to speak of yet, but his tool belt does seem pretty full. Despite being smaller than Pisani, he reportedly adds a little sandpaper to go along with his talent.

Once the kid gets some hair on his ass – despite being a rookie he is 22 years old – I think there could be a player there and not too far down the road.

To summarize: Good Canadian boy of Italian heritage, goes to NCAA, shows knack for scoring big goals for their college team, mix of skill and grit.

Caggiula is Pisani. Pisani is Caguilla.

Not one of the usual suspects.

17. dustrock says:

LT you’ve got cap space as one of your top assets but that article from general fanager on the Oilers’ cap situation is making me rethink this.

We’ve got Ference for another year.

We’ve got potentially: McDavid, Draisaitl, Reinhart, Nurse, and Jarvi performance bonuses, which count against the cap.

I suppose nothing is stopping Chiarelli from adding someone at this point, but once the bonuses are achieved, you’re going to see Reinhart certainly, and possibly Nurse and Drai and Jarvi hitting Bakersfield until he can dump some other players for cap relief.

Unless I’ve got it wrong, have to admit I find the cap confusing at the best of times.

18. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I just went over to Capfriendly.com to play around on armchair GM, and thought I’d mix it up a little and go with NJ.

I feel bad for Taylor.

Don’t get me wrong, they’ve been better than EDM, no question.

But that forward core… my word.

Zajac is 35 and in my opinion is ready to fall off a cliff
    Cammeleri is good but plays 40 games a year and had the highest on ice shooting percentage (12.36) of anyone in the league who played north of 30 games.
    Henrique had the 5th highest on ice shooting percentage (11.61) in the league.
    Palmieri is good, but I’m not sure he’s going to repeat last years performance.

On top of that, the first round picks of recent years (Zacha and Brown) strike me as safe picks with limited offensive upside. I’ve been wrong before, but neither player strikes me as a sure fire top 6 forward.

Between Hall, Greene (for now) and Schneider they will win some hockey games, but they seem like they are light years away from being a really good team.

19. Andy Dufresne says:

Valid point Clay.

But i tend to look at these deals in terms of contracts in and contracts out and cap space.

For me it was Petry out and Sekera in in a cap space swap. I prefer Sekera over Petry straight up. But add in the 3rd and 5th we got from Montreal. I prefer Sekera and Bear (and part of Talbot) to Petry evey day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Clay:
    How good would this roster look simply by having Petry in that 2nd RD spot?

Thanks, Craig!

20. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

hags9k,

Oven pudding?

21. dustrock says:

Centre of attention:

I have no doubt one of the key requirements for Chiarelli was getting someone they could use as top D for 10 years. He had to play the long game as well as trying to improve the team for next season.

This is why it cost Hall. Teams weren’t going to move Faulk.

And we’ll never get a straight answer on the Subban deal, but maybe he looks at McDavid, Drai, Nurse and Jarvi, as well as Reinhart potentially earning raises and decides he might not be able to afford Subban for more than 3 years.

Is it worth trading Hall for 3 years of Subban, compared to 5 years of Larsson? Do those 2 years make a difference?

22. Centre of attention says:

hags9k: I think Larsson is a better fit age wise for this group.I also agree about the power play.Taylor was no screaming hell with the man advantage, where his main contribution was zone entries, which can now be left to 97 and 93.

While we will miss Hall’s 5 vs 5 play, where he really did tilt the ice, we may be underestimating Larsson’s ability to defend and put us back on the attack more often.If Chia is right about him and he plays big minutes, (big ifs) the whole team should get a possession boost at evens.

The pudding comes out of the oven in October.

Agree big time. Larsson is highly underrated in his ability to get the puck going in a good direction. If you have twitter I have tweeted out a couple clips of him being very effective at the transition.

@benoliver_1 is my twitter BTW

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    hags9k,

Oven pudding?

The best kind.

23. Doug McLachlan says:

Strongly suspect that there is more to come, but if not the Oilers are much closer to balance than they have been for a long time.

Still looking to see what Chia does in the Barrie / Wiz slot. May yet see unexpected solutions there.

Would like them to try and run three lines but that will require Lucic away from McDavid at least 5×5.

Maroon – Nuge – Eberle
    Pouliot – McDavid – Yakupov
    Lucic – Draisaitl – Kassian
    Hendricks – Letestu – JP

24. Ducey says:

I wonder if the Oilers should be checking in on Dylan McIlrath with the Rangers.

A RHD, 6′ 5″ 220 lbs. 24. Tough as nails.

I expect the Oilers looked at drafting him in 2010 and had to settle* for Klefbom as he was gone by the time they picked.

A lot of posters at the time predicted doom should anyone pick him, citing the old Coke Machine mantra.

He played 34 NHL games last year and was second in CF% on the Rangers. I recall he looked pretty good against the Oilers this last year. He has scored 6 goals twice in the AHL so he can probably shoot it, but he is not a big point producer.

NYR have $12 M in cap space and need to sign McIirath, TJ Miller, Chris Kreider and Kevin Hayes. They likely can’t fit everyone in.

25. Andy Dufresne says:

That line did look REALLY good. RNH was a driver.

IMO what seems clearer today than when Hall was here is that there is a greater probability that ( in the short term) we will see the scoring power consolidated on two lines.

What interests me the most is that I don’t think Yak will be back. So who will our #2 RW be? And, I have seen roster configurations with Maroon at RW. Has Maroon ever played RW in the NHL?

Ca$h-McMoney!:

26. Water Fire says:

The pudding comes out of the oven in October.

If Larsson as a very young D develops along his potential that got him drafted so high, and Hall stays where he is as a play driver with a little less than elite finishing skills, the Oilers win in the end.

The only issue is that when the deal was done the values were out of whack. It is a gamble, but I hear that fortune favours the bold. Chia probably has a framed poster in his office.

27. Jofa Kings (BP) says:

LT, great stuff as always. I usually forget some of the depth D-men’s shooting hand. Do you think it would help when displaying the depth charts to add their shooting hand in brackets only if you have slotted the guy into their off-hand side? So Brandon Davidson (L) when he’s listed on the right side. I know I could just become a better fan and remember these things instead, but why can’t you do the work for me? ha! Much appreciate all the work you do here and elsewhere.

28. Soup Fascist says:

Doug McLachlan: .

Maroon – Nuge – Eberle
    Pouliot – McDavid – Yakupov
    Lucic – Draisaitl – Kassian
    Hendricks– Letestu – JP

Why? Switching Pouliot and Lucic in your scenario would improve the lines IMO. Lucic was not acquired as #3 LW option. He was signed to “make some room” for McD. There is plenty of beef on your 3rd line above with Drai and Kassian.

The problem with that line is Kassian has not yet shown he is a consistent top 9 player (nor has Yak for that matter). Find a way to bring Versteeg in cheap and your top 9 looks better.

29. Richard S.S. says:

Filip Berglund has the size and the skill, the rest should be teachable.

30. Soup Fascist says:

Ducey:

A RHD, 6′ 5″ 220 lbs. 24. Tough as nails.

NYR have $12 M in cap space and need to sign McIirath, TJ Miller, Chris Kreider and Kevin Hayes.They likely can’t fit everyone in.

Not a good puck mover. Better off bringing Gryba back, IMO.

31. hags9k says:

Water Fire,

I agree, we can win the trade, but Chia HAS to be right about Larsson and his timing the market on him.

32. Andy Dufresne says:

The Devils have always operated on a “low event” premise/system. However they have always tried to have a primary designated scorer, the under-rated Sykora, Parise, Kovalchuk, etc. I think Taylor Hall is that guy.

Ca$h-McMoney!:

I feel bad for Taylor.

Don’t get me wrong, they’ve been better than EDM, no question.

But that forward core…my word.

Zajac is 35 and in my opinion is ready to fall off a cliff
    Henrique had the 5th highest on ice shooting percentage (11.61) in the league.
    Palmieri is good, but I’m not sure he’s going to repeat last years performance.

On top of that, the first round picks of recent years (Zacha and Brown) strike me as safe picks with limited offensive upside.I’ve been wrong before, but neither player strikes me as a sure fire top 6 forward.

33. DRFNsuperstar says:

The spot for a right handed Pinsani is so obvious.

Lucic-Mcdavid-Eberle
    Pouliot-Nuge-Wingels
    Maroon-Drai-Yak
    Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
    Sekera-Fayne
    Davidson-Wisnewski

Talbot

That is a team that if healthy should compete for a playoff spot.

34. Andy Dufresne says:

A while back, I was pointing to Wideman as a RHD PP specialist as an option. But for me that was predicated on a contract in contract out basis. For me it would have been a win-win for Calgary to take Lauri Korpikoski and retain approximately $2 million of Widemans Salary. The Flames would free up $1 million in cap space and the Oilers would get Wideman for $3.5million for one year. With Korpse bought out I guess we could still take the contract at $2.5 million thereby saving the Flames $2.5 million in cap space. But at that price there are probably better options available.

Soup Fascist: Not a good puck mover. Better off bringing Gryba back, IMO.

35. Jaxon says:

It will be hard to add Barrie this summer and sign him without some significant salary going the other way. Depending on how the roster is constructed, the Oilers could be very close to or over cap already. If they start with Puljujarvi, Cagguila, Nurse and Reinhart (I know, big if), they are already over cap by 300k to 400k with all of their bonuses. If Barrie wants 5-6M, then 5-6M will have to go the other way. And the 5-6M players (Nuge, Ebs) would be overpays. Even Pouliot and Yakupov wouldn’t be enough as you’d have to add a Barrie plus probably a 1M player to the roster to bring it back up to 23.

36. maudite says:

Count me in the yak/Reinhart plus whatever next year picks required for decent rhd train.

Sign someone like versteeg or hudler. Wait it out and sign wiz or erhoff type on one year deals.

Lucic McDavid eberle
    Pou rnh versteeg/hudler
    Maroon drai Kassian
    Hendricks letestu Pak

Klef Larsson
    Sek Fayne
    Davidson wiz

37. Jaxon says:

It will be interesting to see how Nikita Zaitsev does in Toronto this year as a comparable for Ziyat Paigin.

38. Richard S.S. says:

The Oilers are rapidly becoming a Cap-Conscious Team. Chiarelli moved Hall before everyone was aware of it and his value dropped. Right now for every $1.00 that comes in, at least $1.20 must go out. Although Cap Space is no longer an asset, the Oilers cannot appear to be a Cap-tight Team.

39. DRFNsuperstar says:

maudite:

Sign someone like versteeg or hudler.Wait it out and sign wiz or erhoff type on one year deals.

Lucic McDavid eberle
    Pou rnh versteeg/hudler
    Maroon drai Kassian
    Hendricks letestu Pak

Klef Larsson
    Sek Fayne
    Davidson wiz

40. Andy Dufresne says:

If it’s a cap space issue, just move Yak for a 3rd round pick. If it’s cap space in cap space out issue for Colorado (AND Colorado almost certainly wants a defenseman back in the deal) then it’s something like Pouliot and Davidson + ( where the plus could be as high/extreme as 2017 1st) I wouldn’t do that deal. Could be Pouliot + 2017 1st for Fowler. Then Fowler + for Barrie.
    If these costs seem extreme, the market has been set high for RHD this year. (sidenote: if the deal for Barrie includes Davidson, Oilers can then protect Sekera, Larsson, Barrie, Klefbom)

It will be interesting to see just how much value the Oilers put on Barrie…will they be willing to overpay?

Jaxon:

Centre of attention:

Jason Demers has NEVER played top pairing. He is 28. That suggests that the Oilers would have been asking to him to play too high in the roster. Has that worked previously for the Oilers?

Larsson is 23, has the tools and draft pedigree, and has been used with decent results in a first pairing role already in New Jersey.

Demers would have been better than nothing. But if one is building around McDavid, Larsson is a far better option than Demers, and less expensive.

Demers is something between a #3 and a #4, with no upside potential. Larsson is already a #3, trending strongly to a #2.

42. knighttown says:

Continuing from the last thread…

I agree with this and with the original poster. We all dabble in judging draft results and most people, if polled, would suggest that the Oilers shouldn’t bother having a list and just pick whomever is consensus “next”. There have even been articles written comparing certain teams draft results versus having simply selected the consensus next best player.
    But to OF17’s point, is that truly what we want from our team? No scouting staff and just follow a 3rd party list?
    The issue to me isn’t with the process, it’s with the results. In fact, I think the Oilers probably have one of the safest draft records of the past decade but still have deplorable results.
    The flaw with Cullen’s metric is that it quantifies success as something that really isn’t. Is Anton Lander a good pick simply because a horrible team gave him a few hundred games that he didn’t deserve? Is Theo Peckham a good pick for the exact same reason? I get it. Lander is a better pick than Cam Abney but it can’t be a checkbox labelled “good and bad”. Stortini, Troy Bodie, Colin McDonald and JF Jacques all played 150+ games in the NHL but they didn’t move the needle one bit. That needs to be taken into account.
    Here’s the real fact. The Oilers have drafted 3 honest-to-goodness decent NHL hockey players that help the team win games since 2002. That’s 14 years.
    1. Kyle Brodziak in 2003 Rd 7
    2. Tobias Rieder in 2011 Rd 4
    3. Brandon Davidson in 2010 Rd 6
    We might add Martin Marincin, Erik Gustaffson and Anton Lander but I’m not ready to say they are any more that waiver wire fodder at this point.
    Most MSM narratives are garbage and border on counter-productive but this one rings true. One of the Top 3 reasons the Oilers have been so bad for so long is there remarkable lack of success in rounds 2 and 3. Other teams are getting good players and the Oilers simply are not.
    Sometimes they pick exactly who the list says they should (Lander, Pitlick) and sometimes they get frisky and reach a bit (Moroz, Abney). The bottom line is that it never works regardless.
    Some comparisons for our best 3; Brodziak, Davidson and Rieder.
    Sharks; Pavelski (7), Carle (2), Torey Mitchell (4), Greiss (3), Vlasic (2), Jamie McGinn (2), Bonino (6), Justin Braun (7), Demers (7), Wingels (6).Tierney (2)
    Holy shit!
    Lightning; Killorn (3), Gudas (3), Palat (7), Kucherov (2), Nesterov (4). They really struggled till 2007 and have been rolling since.
    Ducks; Drew Miller (6), Shane O’Brien (8), Beleskey (4), Schultz (2), Vatanen (4), Smith-Pelley (2), Gibson (2), William Karlsson (4), Josh Manson (6), Fred Andersson (3)

Soup Fascist:
    Other than the mentoring portion,is it inconceivable that Caligula …. er …… Caggiula IS Pisani?No NHL track record to speak of yet, but his tool belt does seem pretty full. Despite being smaller than Pisani, he reportedly adds a little sandpaper to go along with his talent.

Caggiula is Pisani. Pisani is Caguilla.

Not one of the usual suspects.

After college, it took Pisani a couple of years in the AHL to become Pisani.

44. Ducey says:

Jaxon:

Just because a player has a bonus structure does not mean he will earn it. A player who plays less than 42 games is very unlikely to hit any of the Schedule A bonuses. The Schedule B bonuses are largely tied to how the player does league wide, and are very tough to get (nominated for an award, top ten in points, etc.)

45. russ99 says:

I really hope there are some further additions before we break camp.

Every year during the rebuild it’s like clockwork, we’ve left some gaping hole.

This year it’s RHD and cheap veteran 2-way C.

Not fixing this leaves us short when the inevitable injuries hit, and we’ll be relying on kids struggling against competition above what their capable of yet again.

46. Ducey says:

godot10: After college, it took Pisani a couple of years in the AHL to become Pisani.

I could be wrong, but I think he was always Pisani. He still is.

47. Richard S.S. says:

Sometime between now and July 1st, Leon gets paid. The Ference contract will expire then to cover it. The question remains, do you sign him now or pay more by waiting until later. I’d sign him for eight years at whatever he’ll sign for.

48. Water Fire says:

These post UFA doldrums be no fun.

Chia is waiting out other GM’s methinks. It is very possible he has another surprise target for his puck mover, Barrie is so obvious and it is reminding me of the Hamonic talk.

Any ideas? Savard has been mentioned but seems to have missed a fair number of games and has had one better season offensively.

49. rickithebear says:

Clay:
    How good would this roster look simply by having Petry in that 2nd RD spot?

Thanks, Craig!

Petry
    3.16 PPP/60
    4.73 GF/60

Sekera
    3.86 PPP/60
    6.42 GF/60

well the same cap hit as Sekera
    and not able to outperform him facing 2nd comp while sekera faces 1st comp.

50. rickithebear says:

These discussions have been a real eye opener for me.

I love Petry by most numbers.
    one of the few repeat.
    Blocks; Hits; PKD; Strong skating Dmen that looks great out their.

But comments from NYI cup winning sutter.
    1. “You hit to get the puck.” or break -up the cycle.
    but you abandon that small area almost completely guarded by dmen that gives up the 8.5% to 20% successshots.
    If you do not get the puck it causes serious Def issues.

2. Blocks reduce the SA/60 but are often engaged at the top of HSCA or just inside the LCSA.
    If you do not block the puck it causes serious defensive positional issues.
    That engagement needs to be by the 3 forwards down low and pressing the d high.
    while the D in the HSCA engage the forwards to give Goalies clear path.

Skating up the puck; Failing to Block the puck; Not getting pocession from a hit is GA suicide!

Petry looked real good at doing the things we thought helped you win.
    But actually do not.

Defend the HSCA; Provide Clear Path for goalie.

The defence of ones zone has to be like A PK with an extra forward.
    with Quickcounter pass to mobile forwards to drive puck up.

Do not ; I mean DOOOOO NOOOOOT have the D skate that puck up. Forcing a lesser Defensive trained forward cover his Defensive responsibility.

It is just a series of Probabilty decisions that math and results tell what is your the best chance for top GF and GA.

1. Who drives the net successfully
    Dman EVG/60 .17
    DMAN EVA1/60 .25
    Dman EVA2/60 .31
    FWD EVA2/60 .41
    Fwd EVA1/60 .52
    Fwd EVG/60 .65

2. What shot balances best Success probability versus the lowest Counter attack chances.
    HSCA below arms and blocker shot.
    A full study of miss versus success
    and
    Misses to resulting HSCA shots from counter attack.

I sure as heck do not want a Dman attacking the HSCA as a
    first option directly driving
    2nd option receiving a pass while covered by Dmen.
    But half receptive
    3rd option Back side attack of HSCA while defensively covered by a fwd.

The last 4 year I have been looking at what I call the new analytics.

What is the best GF and GA decision for every hockey action?

now that I have brought the collective to seeing the war is largely won in HSCA 8.5% to 20% success shots????
    ;

51. Soup Fascist says:

DRFNsuperstar: I didn’t realize Versteeg is still available that’s a way better option than Wingels.

52. jm363561 says:

I believe (possibly incorrectly) that the Oilers still have around $5m of cap space. On LT’s last roster table it shows total salary and bonus at $71m, $2m below the cap of $73m. But:

– Bonuses included for McD (2.75), Drai (2.5), JP (2.5) and Nurse (0.75) total $8.5m, approximately.
    – To the $73m cap the CBA rules allow an additional 7.5% to be added for potential bonuses, say, $5.5m, recognising that not all bonuses will be paid. Pre season planning cap is therefore 78.5m.
    – If the Oilers added an extra $6m player today they would initially be okay as they would be at 71m + 6m = 77m, clearly below the 78.5m.

At the end of the season, If all bonuses are achieved and have to be paid then the Oilers would be in trouble – they would pay salary and bonuses of 77m and be over the 73m cap by 4m. This excess would be clawed back in next year’s cap.

However, looking at the players bonus details it would be reasonable to assume only McD and Nurse would meet all their targets (3.5m). Drai and JP bonuses would likely total around 1.75m. Total bonuses actually paid would therefore be around 5.25m and not the maximum payable of $8.5m, a saving of 3.25m. So instead of being 4m over cap they would just 0.75m.

This clearly explains why we still have 5m or so cap available. Hahaha.

I assume Ference’s 3.25m hit can be absorbed with a few strategic roster moves to claim LTIR relief.

53. Jaxon says:

Andy Dufresne:

I think we’re agreeing with each other in principle. That’s why this doesn’t seem to work. If Colorado is dumping him because he wants too much money, which I think is the issue, then they can’t take the same salary back and we can’t fit Barrie under cap unless we send the same salary back. Nuge is too much talent for EDM to pay and too much salary for COL to take back. Keep your center depth. You’re saying they’ll take Pouliot and Davidson plus high draft pick, but we shouldn’t do that (we agree). Plus we’d have to dump Yakupov’s salary for nothing but a 3rd rounder. So it would be Pouliot, Davidson, possibly 1st Round 2017 plus Yakupov out and Barrie (who is a flawed offensive D) and a 3rd round in. Yikes. I don’t think that is improving the Oilers. I’m a bit worried about the desire for an offensive D at any cost. Plus, the Oilers already have a really good offensive D in Klefbom (as long as he can stay healthy). Sort D with over 400 minutes last season by primary pts/60 and you’ll find Klefbom is 4th overall behind Karlsson, Burns and Byfuglien. 30 games is a decent sample size and the team was racked with injuries during his 30 games. He played 17 of those without McDavid, 13 without Eberle, 10 without Draisaitl, 9 without Davidson, 8 without Yakupov and 6 without Pouliot. Scoring at the 4th highest rate in the NHL while missing those players is no small feat. If you really want another offensive D, stay the course this season with a hopefully healthier roster and possibly sign Burns to a big contract next summer.

54. rickithebear says:

My idea for measure of players:
    dates back to my eduction from the thinkers on LT’s site in 05-06

My favourite discource was with Ron and ……….. damn my memery.

That there is a Differential value for Each forwards/dman’s
    situation .
    upr; mid lwr 1st; 2nd; 3rd; 4th; comp and team 144 groups (3×4) X (3X4)

ZS 6 groups by % of Deviation
    (3X4) X (3X4) X 6 = 864 groups.

Rationalizing them back to
    1st; 2nd; 3rd; 4th comp and Team in ZS
    4 X 4 X 6 = 96 groups
    with approx. 740 players data each season.

then you get an average for each of the96 groups over a period of time.
    establisjhing an expected Goal dif.
    EX. 1st comp 2nd team 45-40
    ZS – XX GD/60

then you can look at the 9 groups
    Uppr; MID; Lwr team X upr; mid; lower COMP
    around the main average to get a more specific expected range for a situation

Uppr 1st comp lower 2nd comp 45-40% ZS AVG situational range
    -YY GD/60 to -ZZ GD/60
    So say Larssons

1st comp 1st team (PvP) 30% ZS
    had an expected goal diff range Range of -17 to -21
    ;
    ;
    and
    he was +15 so his performance over expected range is
    +32 to +36
    you might think that was well really really really Good!

Or say Shawn horcoff getting attacked by Media and community.
    causen o one had thought to establish an expected performance.
    for his situation.

09-10:
    1st comp upr 4th teammates in 45% ZS
    Say his expectd GD range was -24 to -36
    A -30 average
    He was -29
    a just brutally awful -29
    +1 relative to situation expected range median.

When I discuss a player I usually look at them with a different standard.
    A known EVP/60; Gf/60 and GA/60 that gives a true Goal differential to measure to their performance.

Since Desjardins 07-08 data.
    though really since summer 06.

55. Jethro Tull says:

Centre of attention: I don’t know how you listened to that interview and got the idea Taylor was uncoachable.

Centre of attention: *woosh sound* yeah that probably went right over my head LOL.

Yep.

There was a hypothesis put forward on yesterday’s a.m. thread that Hall was uncoachable and it was supported by ‘sources close to management’.

56. Wonder Llama says:

Andy Dufresne:
    If it’s a cap space issue, just move Yak for a 3rd round pick.

Has it really come to this already? Yak’s value is so low he’s little more than a salary dump?

57. dustrock says:

jm363561:

This clearly explains why we still have 5m or so cap available. Hahaha.

Thanks for doing the math. That helps.

58. Centre of attention says:

godot10: Jason Demers has NEVER played top pairing.He is 28.That suggests that the Oilers would havebeen asking to him to play too high in the roster.Has that worked previously for the Oilers?

Demersis something between a #3 and a #4, with no upside potential.Larsson is already a #3, trending strongly to a #2.

Agreed on all counts.

What are your thoughts about Halls effect on the powerplay? If the powerplay improves in his absence, does that balance out the loss of his even strength production?

Interesting question, LT brought it up on the radio today after me and others DM’d / emailed him

59. RexLibris says:

SPAMSPAMSPAM

The second in the series that looks at the officiating in Oilers games (this one against LAK, in case anyone is looking for a reason to get angry).

ENDSPAMENDSPAMENDSPAM

60. v4ance says:

Centre of attention:

My personal opinion is that Hall was misused on the PP.

He was placed primarily on the goal line where he was a secondary passer to the players on the half wall. His main attack at the net was the jam shot or the cross crease pass. In that spot as a stationary attacker, they negated his strongest asset which is his skating. Hall would have been more effectively utilized on a PP that relied on a cycle more or one where Hall was in the middle of the box weaving in and out of traffic and causing chaos.

The one beneficial aspect of Hall in the low post was that he was good at retrieving rebounds in the corner to reset the attack. But on the balance, that kind of role and task could have been handled by Pouliot, Maroon, or Kassian with added benefit that they could float between screening the goalie or tipping pucks and playing the low post.

61. maudite says:

He is my preferred option. Veteran winger that bounces around a lot. Signing lower priced contracts now and easily traded at deadline if so required.

Savard out of cbj or Ellis out of Nashville would be my two main targets in a 3 for 1 type trade. It might be 3 for 1 plus lower end bad contract but I’d seriously be looking at it.

1. Yak (top 6 winger could payoff huge)
    2. Reinhart (lhd higher end prospect who probably be fine on 3rd pairing with strong enough d)
    3. Whatever draft pick next year balances or another lhd prospect (pick any on depth chart below reinhart)

62. Centre of attention says:

v4ance: My personal opinion is that Hall was misused on the PP.

He was placed primarily on the goal line where he was a secondary passer to the players on the half wall. His main attack at the net was the jam shot or the cross crease pass.In that spot as a stationary attacker, they negated his strongest asset which is his skating.Hall would have been more effectively utilized on a PP that relied on a cycle more or one where Hall was in the middle of the box weaving in and out of traffic and causing chaos.

The one beneficial aspect of Hall in the low post was that he was good at retrieving rebounds in the corner to reset the attack.But on the balance, that kind of role and task could have been handled by Pouliot, Maroon, or Kassian with added benefit that they could float between screening the goalie or tipping pucks and playing the low post.

That spot on the goal line by the right goal post is McDavids spot now. His cross crease pass is going to make a right-shot sniper VERY rich.

63. maudite says:

It’s too bad wiz buyout already happened. As something like yak, reinhart and xxx for Savard & wiz might have legs.

Klef larsson
    Sek Savard
    Davidson wiz

Fayne as 7th d

Lucic mcd eberle
    Pou rnh versteeg
    Maroon drai Kassim
    Hendricks letestu pak/lander

I say that makes it to playoffs and might suprised if heakthy

64. Woogie63 says:

RikitheBear, could you run a few RHD through your analysis, could you run,

Meyers, Trouba, Wisniewski, Wideman, Barrie and maybe Fowler (LHD)

65. spoiler says:

LT said…

•This list punishes lack of speed.

The Black Book No. 91. Despite the large frame and not the fastest stride,

and then:

Future Considerations No. 187. Berglund needs to increase his foot speed,

capped with:

means this:

9. (NR) RD Filip Berglund, Skelleftea AIK (43, 19-22-41) (SuperElite). This is a very nice player. Berglund passed through last year’s draft and then spiked with the totals you see here. A mobile defender with size, puck passing ability and a fine shot. Scouting reports describe him as an effective, responsible defender. A lot to like about this player. Another blue with a range of skills.

10. (5) LD Griffin Reinhart, Edmonton Oilers

makes.no.sense.

Reinhart was actually 4th on the prior Summer list, and then with the graduation of Nurse, Drai, and Iiro, and the fall of Yakimov, still managed to drop 6 spots. Slepyshev ‘s tumble down the list was equally bizarre.

Either a huge error was made on the prior list’s ranking, or your list really rewards kids who haven’t proven anything over older prospects. That is, unknown potential, supplied by internet narrative like Future Considerations, gets a bigger boost than actual known ability.

makes.no.sense.

In one to two years I expect Berglund will be about 18 on this list. Somewhere between where Slepyshev and Simpson are this year.

Centre of attention: Agreed on all counts.

Hall is great on the power play if it is well coached as it was under Krueger and Nelson. If idiots are coaching the power play, like Eakins, or whatever McLellan and Woodcroft were trying to do last year, well then Hall cannot compensate for idiot coaches.

Hall was best as the puck support and puck distributer down low on the power play, with Horcoff or Lander as the net front presence and secondary puck support forward.

McLellan and Woodcroft had a power play with no net front presence, which meant the power play had no structure, and Hall ended up running around too much.

spOILer: It makes sense to me, as there are several factors (including offense) included. I will say that this is several times we have discussed this, and i understand your frustration. I am not going to change it, but do hope that Reinhart proves me wrong.

68. Ryan says:

knighttown:
    Continuing from the last thread…

1. Kyle Brodziak in 2003 Rd 7
    2. Tobias Rieder in 2011 Rd 4
    3. Brandon Davidson in 2010 Rd 6
    Some comparisons for our best 3; Brodziak, Davidson and Rieder.
    Holy shit!

I agree with you. This is an old debate. On the one side, the draft math geeks want a simple, objective, quantifiable line in the sand to grade draft success.

On the other side, we can see that the Oilers are horrible at finding impact players outside of the first round. I can remember arguing at length with Woodguy about what constitutes an impact player. You know it when you see it, but so far no one has proposed a suitable definition that I know of.

Tj Brodie, Johnny Hockey, Josh Manson, Joe Pavelski, Andrej Palat, Sami Vatanen, Anton Lander, Jason Demers, Teddy Peckman.

Some of these things are not like the others.

69. Centre of attention says:

godot10: Hall is great on the power play if it is well coached as it was under Krueger and Nelson.If idiots are coaching the power play, like Eakins, or whatever McLellan and Woodcroft were trying to do last year,well then Hall cannot compensate for idiot coaches.

Hall wasn’t good on Nelsons powerplay.

McLellan had Lander/Pouliot/Maroon as net front presence, even Nuge got in there at times.

Pouliot was almost always right in there though. I don’t know which powerplay you were watching.

Hall is a decent puck distributer down low on the powerplay but Nuge and to a larger extent McDavid are much, much better. There will be a noticeable difference.

70. Centre of attention says:

godot10,

Here is a perfect example of Todds power play. See Pouliot there? Definitely a net front presence.

71. DRFNsuperstar says:

Soup Fascist: Surprised he is only 30. Seems like he has been around forever. Likely some hard miles. But a veteran that could likely be added on the cheap on a short term deal.

72. stush18 says:

Centre of attention: I think Hall’s main problem was he tried to force plays on the man advantage. It seemed like the longer he was in the offensive zone, the more frustrated he got if they couldn’t get it going. He would then try and force plays due to that frustration. Taylor also had a problem of just holding onto the puck too much.

Yup they put hall there because he doesn’t have the finesse to run from the wal, and couldn’t be the one timer option.

I’ve said lots I think the powerplay would be better suited without hall.
    Run mcdavid on the goal line
    Nuge one he half wall
    Drai high slot
    Ebs far side
    Klef on point

73. DRFNsuperstar says:

AHL with some interesting new rules. Suspension after 10 fights is a junior hockey style rule that should have been in the CHL years ago, next step is game misconduct after every fight.

74. Hall of Shame says:

hope that Reinhart proves me wrong.

Like Brandon Davidson:

Summer 2015: No. 24
    Winter 2015: No. 8

75. stush18 says:

Me and spoiler are coming for you LT.

In all seriousness, I kind of agree with spoiler. It’s frustrating because your word carries weight, and the things you value (foot speed, range of skills, good arrows) knock players when they are matters of opinion rather than fact.

Imo a good way of classifying your list would be players you expect to contribute the most offense, should they ever make the NHL. I don’t think this list recognizes longest careers, or most successful players, although really you are likely just as accurate as anyone, as it’s a crapshoot.

76. Hall of Shame says:

stush18: Me and spoiler are coming for you LT.

Look at it as a hope index. Berglund is a New Hope. More dreamy this one is.

Should say it again. It’s a PERSONAL list.

77. Centre of attention says:

stush18: Me and spoiler are coming for you LT.

78. Soup Fascist says:

DRFNsuperstar: I don’t know about cheap. I’d say he has done pretty well for himself contract wise the last two. Probably need to give him 3 years AAV of about 3.5.

Smallish 0.5 ppg guy last couple of years. Not sure what possession numbers look like, but teams don’t appear to be beating the door down for him. I think less that $2.0 mil. Am I out to lunch?

79. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Anybody else follow the hockeygraphs.com guy on twitter (DTM About Heart)?

That guy thinks Risto is absolutely brutal. Like not, “Hey gives, you are overating this player a bit” but rather in the mold of “this guy is absolute total garbage”.

I think he’s good, I watched him score a hat trick while on my fantasy team so for sure I’m biased. But I’ve been wrong before.

What’s the basis of his argument and why is he the only guy on that wagon?

stush18: Me and spoiler are coming for you LT.

Haha. I love the passion these lists create, and certainly there are arguments to be made pro and con. Reinhart seems to be a lightning rod, and I certainly believe he can be a solid NHL player. The worry is offense, and that (combined with his speed) have him at No. 10 overall.

81. Revolved says:

The ever elusive Pisani would go a long way towards giving us a shot at three scoring lines. However, I think that the way in which the real Pisani arrived makes your desire to acquire the new Pisani impossible.

Tyler Beck was just signed, is 25 and has some Pisaniesque AHL seasons behind him. Couldn’t he qualify as satisfying that item on your list?

Finding a solid solution on the cheap, in an unexpected place, is what made the real Pisani so valuable. Anyone think Pitlick has just been biding his time?

82. Grand Larssony says:

Long time lurker first time poster

RexLibris,

Read your article and found it interesting. My buddy played for the Innisfail Eagles/ Brian Sutter last year and made an interesting comment to me. Brian said that the reason the LA Kings win is because they ‘cheat’. They constantly obstruct and do things that would normally be called as penalties but because of the volume of infractions the refs won’t call them all and it leads to an over all advantage despite the power plays they give up. Based on Brian’s comment I would assume that LA has been aware of the role reffs play in winning the game and have been coaching a style that takes advantage of this for a while now.

83. stush18 says:

Centre of attention: How about you make your own list so you can contrast / compare rather than hammering LT for what is just his opinion? Did he ever say he was “the law” when it came to prospect rankings?

Hall of Shame: Look at it as a hope index. Berglund is a New Hope. More dreamy this one is.

Should say it again. It’s a PERSONAL list.

I have made up my own list, and discussed reasoning behind our rankings. If you know me from the years I’ve been posting here, I rarely make an issue personal, or hammer on someone. Lowetide is a place of math and reasoning, which is why I have trouble coming to terms with Reinhart being ranked behind nurse and prospects who havent played pro hockey before.

I’m sure LT knows I appreciate his work and there are no hard feelings.

84. Hall of Shame says:

stush18: We just happen to disagree on Reinhart, and I’m trying to convince him otherwise.

Good luck with that when he slips a new 4th round project with concerns about skating ahead of GR.
    It’s up to GR to convince LT.

85. HotCup74 says:

Lowetide: “…when I said this Oilers team may have been as good or better by keeping Hall and simply signing Jason Demers…”

Are we sure that we could have in fact signed Jason Demers to a reasonable contract? I know he took the tour of the new Rexall but…

86. spoiler says:

lol, thank you for the gracious response; re-reading my post I’m not sure I deserved it. Also thought I had a line about us going around this mulberry bush many times before, but I must have taken it out.

My frustration is I don’t know how Reinhart could prove you right or wrong.

You’ve stated that this list has nothing to do with how close a prospect is to the NHL, so if he makes the NHL that has no impact on whether you were right or wrong.

If he’s 10 today does that mean you were wrong the past two lists?

What would he need to do to prove you wrong on this list? None of us know.

This is where the problem lies for me–not so much a specific player’s ranking (sorry Stush)–but that your list is indecipherable and seems to be somewhat capricious and arbitrary. It lacks meaning…. it doesn’t tell me anything. It often appears upside down to reality because other than the top 10 picks its graduates come from deeper down, often falling, players.

87. Hall of Shame says:

spoiler: It often appears upside down to reality because other than the top 10 picks its graduates come from deeper down, often falling, players

Don’t use it understand well rounded players that are about to graduate. Davidson was No. 24 Summer of 2015. Which would make him the kind of player that you could slip through waivers. 😉 So it’s just not designed to catch close to ready players who haven’t shown offense yet.

88. spoiler says:

Hall of Shame: It’s looking for certain things and they are in fact things that you probably want to see a lot of when you are about to spend a draft pick.

If its using scouting narrative over what eyes and math tell us as players age then it is not really “looking”. Hence all but the top picks start high and fall down the list as they mature.

Edit: The Piagin outliers aside.

89. spoiler says:

I’m also not sure how we can equate Reinhart, who has speed concerns at the NHL level, but not so much he can’t manage, with a player who is identified with having speed concerns as an overager (draft-wise) playing in Swedish Junior.

90. SwedishPoster says:

spoiler,

For what it’s worth I think those comments on his skating are horse manure. In his first few SHL games he was one of the best skaters on the ice. He’s an awkward looking skater. Not a bad one. I swear, most scouting services are judging hockey skating the way you’d judge figure skating. And while the elite skaters often are very elegant skaters and figure skating coaches are excellent at teaching some of the finer aspects of skating you don’t have to look smooth to skate well as a hockey player. And at the other end some of the best looking skaters aren’t really that quick or fast. Jmho.

91. spoiler says:

SwedishPoster:
    spoiler,

92. SwedishPoster says:

spoiler: Sure, but any concerns about stride or speed at the Swedish Junior level are surely greater than the same issues at the level of the best league on the planet?

But they weren’t really concerns in his first few SHL games which could be argued as the third best pro league in the world. A league with an emphasis on skating I might add.

93. Hall of Shame says:

spoiler: If its using scouting narrative over what eyes and math tell us as players age then it is not really “looking”.Hence all but the top picks start high and fall down the list as they mature.

Edit: The Piagin outliers aside.

Not fair. It actually puts a lot of weight on offensive numbers. It’s just not going to catch many guys that you can trade away for Taylor Hall 😉

spoiler

True, but he posted reasonable offense in junior and may begin to do the same in the AHL. I expect he will not have graduated from the list (50 NHL games), and could both impress offensively and improve those scouting reports we read from Bakersfield.

95. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Re: Draisaitl’s RW

I have the PERFECT guy (IMO) to put with Drai. This guy is a RH shot, pure goal scorer and is cheap. He’s also coming off surgery might start season on IR but on a team overloaded with forwards he could be had cheap. I dont know his advanced stats other than his CF% was 57.6?

Here is his complete scouting report. Read all the years and tell me what you think. I love this kid.

96. Aron_S says:

Wow, I see that contract Van just handed to Markstrom and I think how poorly managed that team is right now.

Reminds me of the Oilers from 2007-2015. And that’s a sad place to be.

97. kinger_OIL says:

– LT does a good job of explaining his list, and what attributes he values. There is also in that list a pinch or two of: “who hasn’t disappointed me yet”, hence the high ranking of the newbies. They have tools that are shared by players who have had the given LT the opportunity to disappoint….

98. Frank the dog says:

HotCup74:

I do know Chia looked pissed when asked about Demers. Notwithstanding Stauffer’s comment that Demers went off the board, I don’t see why Chia would be pissed if he had simply chosen Larsson when Lucic accepted. So one logical explanation is that Chia did not plan to lose Hall, who would? but that once Lucic accepted and Demers demurred, Chia had to go the Larsson route. Wouldn’t you be pissed if you bought him all the way here only to have him decline? Especially if the result was that you were forced to give up you #1LW?

So Hall’s actually a bum. He was a coach killer, and did all kinds of really bad things. This only became apparent after he left. Oh’ and we also discovered he has eye shadow. And sideburns.

99. fifthcartel says:

Brayden Sullivan
    ‏@SullyDraftGeek
    Wouldn’t be surprise if the #Oilers and Brandon Biro close on an ELC out of camp… Headed to Penn State, had a great camp from what I heard

Didn’t get drafted, wonder if this guy is legit?

Biro – http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=154069

I’d be ok with that.

100. oilswell says:

knighttown: Other teams are getting good players and the Oilers simply are not.
    Some comparisons for our best 3; Brodziak, Davidson and Rieder.

There absolutely is a question about whether the Oilers are using the right strategy for picking. But it’s pretty hard to separate luck from good drafting. Consider the following.

1. Take the third round picks from draft years 2005-2009 inclusive (5 years).

2. Count the number of skaters > 100 games (Cullen rule) plus goalies that should be considered NHLers. I count 37, which is an average of 37 / 5 = 7.4 players per 3rd round in any year. Most years there are 6 players so that checks.

3. Count how many useful 3rd rounders each team picked in years 2005-2009.

4. Generate a histogram of how many teams got how many players in those 5 years.

Here’s what I got:
    7 teams had no picks turn out,
    10 teams had 1 pick turn out,
    12 teams had 2 picks turn out,
    1 team had 3 picks turn out.

However, I also simulated what that histogram would look like if the team picks were entirely random, i.e., each pick simply had a 7.4/30 chance of turning out. That histogram looks like this:

7 had 0 (losers)
    12 had 1
    7 had 2
    2 had 3 (incredible drafters)

That’s pretty close, and it’s only 3rd round and 5 years, plus many of the simulated years look exactly like the real results.

How do you know that team that had success (e.g., San Jose) had success because of good drafting, versus having success because they were simply lucky?

101. Ducey says:

fifthcartel:
    Brayden Sullivan
    ‏@SullyDraftGeek

Didn’t get drafted, wonder if this guy is legit?

Biro– http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=154069

I’d be ok with that.

He is relatively thin but is just 18. He was tied for 5th in goals last year (32 in 40) in the AJHL as a 17/18 yr old. All the guys ahead of him were a couple of years older. He was 2nd in playoff points with 20 in 14 games. He was also almost a ppg as a 16 yr old.

I can’t see a downside to signing him if he can skate. They have lots of room on the 50 man (42 spots) and his contract would slide, I think.

102. Ducey says:

oilswell

I am sure luck had nothing to do with Johnny Gaudreau being picked in the 4th round. They knew he was going to be good. That’s why they picked Baertschi, Marcus Ganlund and Wotherspoon ahead of him.

103. Ducey says:

Aron_S:

Reminds me of the Oilers from 2007-2015. And that’s a sad place to be.

Is that a bad signing? Miller is done after this year and that’s not too bad of a price for an average #1 starter.

104. HenryDrix says:

I have been reading your posts on a daily basis for a few years now and am a gigantic fan of your writing. It goes without saying that I also value your opinion on all things Oilers. Your knack for breaking things down in a logical format while also providing great historical references, real life matters (like on Mothers Day, Easter etc.) and the ability to remain as objective as a fan can realistically be, have me waiting for your next post all the time. People connect with you as a result, I certainly do. Add to that the fact we have some things in common ( I currently live in Maple Ridge BC but grew up on the prairies) and well, you are my fav blogger, no doubt!

This business on the Hall trade has been very divisive for the fan base, and that is fine,we are all entitled to an opinion. If we are going to hold to a 5-year period to evaluate or judge a draft, can we not draw some line in the sand regarding trades?

Losing Hall stinks but improving the defense was a top priority. My own opinion is that we should wait until Christmas to evaluate the off season moves Petey has made, all of them. To call the Hall trade a loss is fine, but if the end result is the Oilers make the playoffs this year, then I will call it a good trade. I have splurged for exactly one signed Jersey in my lifetime, and it is a Taylor Hall signed Team Canads Jersey which I bought for my son. Hall was my favourite Oiler, and it pains me that he is gone, but I can see the rationale, I have to hope that our experienced GM has made the right call on how to improve this beloved team. I route for the name on the front, regardless of the name on the back. I hope to see Oiler playoff hockey I Spring 2017 and if not, my faith in Petey will be washed away.. I’ll be citing that line from “The Incredible Mr. Fox” – “Bad song Petey”.

Keep up the great work, and have faith! I agree this seems to be the best Oiler team since Spring 2006. We will see,

105. zilong says:

HotCup74:

The take home on a 4.5M contract in FLA would be roughly the same as a 5.1M in EDM.

Free cap space for FLA, TB, DAL, NSH. For fun compare one of these teams to TOR or OTT in the calculator linked below.

106. HotCup74 says:

Frank the dog,

You make a lot of sense. Unless PC just wasn’t willing to pay over 4mill per for Demers–but that’s real tough to believe. But, it is the oilers, so anything is possible.

107. HotCup74 says:

zilong,

Right, forgot about the dollar and almost no tax in Florida.

And, thanks for the link to that tax calculator.

HenryDrix:

I have been reading your posts on a daily basis for a few years now and am a gigantic fan of your writing.It goes without saying that I also value your opinion on all things Oilers.Your knack for breaking things down in a logical format while also providing great historical references, real life matters (like on Mothers Day, Easter etc.) and the ability to remain as objective as a fan can realistically be, have me waiting for your next post all the time.People connect with you as a result, I certainly do.Add to that the fact we have some things in common ( I currently live in Maple Ridge BC but grew up on the prairies)and well, you are my fav blogger, no doubt!

This business on the Hall trade has been very divisive for the fan base, and that is fine,we are all entitled to an opinion.If we are going to hold to a 5-year period to evaluate or judge a draft, can we not draw some line in the sand regarding trades?

Losing Hall stinks but improving the defense was a top priority.My own opinion is that we should wait until Christmas to evaluate the off season moves Petey has made, all of them.To call the Hall trade a loss is fine, but if the end result is the Oilers make the playoffs this year, then I will call it a good trade.I have splurged for exactly one signed Jersey in my lifetime, and it is a Taylor Hall signed Team Canads Jersey which I bought for my son.Hall was my favourite Oiler, and it pains me that he is gone, but I can see the rationale, I have to hope that our experienced GM has made the right call on how to improve this beloved team.I route for the name on the front, regardless of the name on the back. I hope to see Oiler playoff hockey I Spring 2017 and if not, my faith in Petey will be washed away..I’ll be citing that line from “The Incredible Mr. Fox” – “Bad song Petey”.

Keep up the great work, and have faith!I agree this seems to be the best Oiler team since Spring 2006. We will see,

Great post! I think the Hall trade is a crossroads for sure. The Oilers had to do something about the defense and it sounds like the options were Nuge for Dumba or Hall for a more defensive defender. I think it is a fascinating trade, and can see what Chiarelli is attempting to do (build a defense right in front of a generational player).

109. Jaxon says:

This guy looks legit too. High scoring, 6′ tall, 18 year old defender:
    Brinson Pasichnuk

Off to Arizona State next season.

Ducey: He would have to go to the WHL somewhere if he signed, I think. Can’t go to college.