NEW VERBAL

Todd McLellan found a microphone today, and a mid-summer media avail from the coach is like finding an ocean in the desert. Giddyup.

• McLellan on Jesse Puljujarvi: “From what I’ve been told & seen, I think he’s going to have a real good opportunity.” Source
  • McLellan on Jesse Puljujarvi: “Jesse’s played against men & I think that gives him a head start.” Source

We have talked previously about how best to ease Puljujarvi into the Edmonton lineup. The team has several options, including NHL, AHL and back to Europe. I expect JP will receive every opportunity to make the big club (my RE has him playing a large percentage of the season). A very reasonable take by the coach, we should assume it will be business as usual (Puljujarvi will make the team) until otherwise informed.

• McLellan on Nail Yakupov: “I believe in giving people opportunities to recover. Yak is working extremely hard this summer. “I know Yak has been working extremely hard. He’s done some things that he hasn’t done in the past throughout the summer — training in different areas. When he comes back, if that’s the case, I want him to have success his teammates will want him to have success and it’s a matter of finding that as quick as possible and we could use him.”.” Source

As we have discussed, the ideal solution for Edmonton is to bring Yakupov in and find a way to make things work. Seriously. I think the coach should be able to have the team he prefers, and if we find out McLellan just couldn’t see himself deploying Yak, then I accept it. That said, it sounds like the coach would like another chance to make this work.

OPENING NIGHT 2015-16

opening night 2015-16
You know, it’s funny how quickly we forget about things. I look back on the poor start in 2015-16 and think about the goalies, but in fact Cam Talbot had a helluva opening night. Jordan Eberle’s injury surely had an impact and the team was unsettled everywhere but center, left wing and net. Balance and being ready for opening night: Pretty big things!

PROJECTING 2016-17 OPENING NIGHT

PROJECTED OPENING NIGHT 2016-17
The projected roster does not yet have its IR (as above, with Eberle) and of course Hall is in New Jersey. I like the 2016-17 defense more by quite a bit—although a puck mover is still an area of need. I love the center depth chart, it is crazy good. I also like the LW group, the top three wingers there are good. RW is a strange brew, I honestly think you could see Yak, JP or Zack Kassian on 2R—maybe even Drake Caggiula, although that is a distant bell for opening night.

LARSSON

• Todd McLellan on Adam Larsson: “We’ve got to take our time with him. I don’t want to be bold and tell the fans and even his teammates that he’s going to play in a situation or that situation. We’ve got to take some time with him and we’ve got to make him comfortable with what he does best, and that’s playing regular minutes and penalty killing and playing a good defensive game.” Source

McLellan has him marked and that is a good thing. He used the name Marc-Edouard Vlasic as a comparable, and in terms of deployment that is a nice description. This is not a dynamic offensive player, but he can help win hockey games. I am pleased the coach is slow playing the offense. Larsson is a fine NHL player, if you give him a chance you may grow to like him.

64 Responses to "NEW VERBAL"

Edmonton Oilers Verified account
    ‏@EdmontonOilers

The #Oilers have loaned forward Bogdan Yakimov to HC Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL).

2. gd says:

LT,

TSN Sportscentre just had a great feature on Dennis Martinez. I hope you get a chance to see it.

3. Doug McLachlan says:

Edmonton Oilers Verified account
    ‏@EdmontonOilers

Is this the end of the Yak2 dream? Really liked his potential and what it might have meant for future Russian Oilers.

4. hunter1909 says:

Thank fuck Chiarelli traded Hall.

With the Hall trade, only a fool would trade Yakupov for pennies to the dollar. Since Yaks has so piss poor trade value they can bring him into camp, see what he’s like without locker room cancer Hall LOL.

Seriously, if there’s ever been a chance to see a Russian talent bloom in Edmonton this has got to be the Alamo.

Imagine: Yakupov explodes as a top flight player, add Lucic and Larsson and who cares about what happens in New Jersey?

Lucic btw is a fantastic player – the type who can literally pick a game up at any point and flat out dominate.

5. GCW_69 says:

Edmonton Oilers Verified account
    ‏@EdmontonOilers

That MacT trade is leaking value like crazy.

6. GCW_69 says:

Edmonton Oilers Verified account
    ‏@EdmontonOilers

That probably puts Lander or Drake at centre on the farm. Severe lack of Cs down there, as far as I can tell.

7. StevieG_8 says:

In the D pairing, I like a combination of offensive-defensive type

Klefbom-Larsson
    Sekera-Fayne

One good puckmover on each pair (Sekera and Klefbom), defensive D’s to give partner confidence offensively.

Also I love some depth. Assuming Davidson will slot in on 3rd pair, it’s nice how he’s capable to go into the top-4 when needed. This also allows young D’s to grow properly with less competition.

Nurse-Davidson

8. hunter1909 says:

GCW_69: That MacT trade is leaking value like crazy.

Has there been anyone who got more credit just for wearing glasses?

MacT is like Peter Sellers in “Being There”, ffs.

9. Water Fire says:

Man, if I was in a desert I’d want to find a lake, so I could drink!

McLellan is grooming Yak (and getting him counseling after Eakins said he and Yak were joined at the hip which probably sounded pretty off to the poor lad) to take Eberle’s place because he wore that fLames jersey.

It is going to be a different team to watch for the first time in a long time. Lucic and Larsson make a very different vibe and if everyone is ready to go it’ll be something. I imagine Luc won’t be very amenable to weak efforts, a real throwback to the days of yore when Oilers had to face Messier in the room (he was allowed to take games off but that was different).

10. HT Joe says:

Lowetide, you’re verbiage is great, and your first line literally stopped me in my tracks… “a mid-summer media avail from the coach is like finding an ocean in the desert. Giddy.”

My take away is the ocean looks good, cause it’s wet, but since it’s salt water, you’ll still die of thirst. Doom, but in a prettier package. 😀

I’ll get back to finishing the article.

*EDIT* I see the post preceding mine is the same thing but better written.

The Eberle verbal is becoming silly. Seriously. I understand people having differing views on players, but moving forward these shots are going to get deleted. Grow up, please and thanks.

12. RexLibris says:

HT Joe:

My take away is the ocean looks good, cause it’s wet, but since it’s salt water, you’ll still die of thirst.Doom, but in a prettier package.😀

I’ll get back to finishing the article.

Haha. Ocean looks good, but not when you are thirsty! Mid-season management media avails feel that way to me. Tambellini was the worst. My God he struggled to say nothing, but managed it every time.

14. Water Fire says:

Sorry, I was poking fun at the angst in the last post.

15. DBO says:

I am very on board with yak in the top 9. I may be blue skying it but I think that forward group is balanced and playoff caliber. I actually think we are underestimating Jesse’s impact. He was ahead of Laine for most of the year, dominated world juniors, and was on fire in the playoffs until an injury. And with his speed and two way ability he can drive a line. Personally I would love to see this lineup

Lucic-McDavid-Yak
    Maroon-Nuge-Eberle
    Pouliot-Drai-Puljarvi?
    Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian

Pouliot in the Pisani role(as LT so eloquently put it earlier post) and the two kids getting sheltered. The Nuge line gets the toughs, and Yak is a trigger man on that top line. With Lucic, Yak will hit everything that moves and give a lot of space to McDavid.

It will be a lot of fun in the O zone this year. As Lucic put it, a lot more crazy in the lineup!

On D, I hope the Wiz or someone similar is added to bring PP experience and depth, allowing them to potentially start Nurse in the AHL and get him top pairing and PP TIME.

16. digger50 says:

Laine looked great at Worlds and PJarvi would have been just fine as well if healthy. Very likely he plays opening night. A previous poster made a great comment though, and that is even if he does fine, we would probably be better off with Hudler for a year or two. It would settle down the right side.

I hope Kassian will suprise, I think he will, but consistency and unpredictability will haunt his play. Another good reason for a proven vet on the right wing.

17. SwedishPoster says:

I had a longer write up on Adam Larsson at the time of the trade but it discybered on me. But I’ll reiterate one of the main points and that’s the things that are elite in his game imo and that’s defensive coverage and passing. The defensive part seems pretty well established around these parts but I don’t think it’s fully understood how good his passing game truly is. It’s a gorgeous combination of vision and quality of the actual pass.
    His first stretch pass to McDavid will be a thing of beauty.
    I’ll get back before the season starts with a longer write up on Larsson with more on his strengths and weaknesses as I see them but atm I’m on my phone with wobbly wifi in Kosovo so it’ll have to wait as I risk losing the whole comment aga.

18. HT Joe says:

Boy that’s not selling high on Larsson… it’s like opposite-MacT.

I will not boo Larsson. I wish the best for Larsson. But if Larsson needs to “take some time” (i.e., he flops out of the gate) like some other recent defensive acquisitions, I just don’t see Chia making it to Opening Night 2017. I hope everyone here who’s high on the young RD is right.

Water Fire: Sorry, I was poking fun at the angst in the last post.

Haha. I ALWAYS get the wrong guy, I swear 🙂

20. OilClog says:

If the coach is trying to spread the goals around and by the looks of Poolparty’s possible translation through the numbers a soft landing on he 3rd seems reasonable.

Imo makes most sense to not play Eberle with McDavid, slotting him beside Nuge makes a whole lot more sense. The Pou//Nuge/Ebs unit should face the heavy lifting at home with favourable line changes for the coach.

Mcdavid with Yak in those 11 games together did what Yak hasn’t been able to do with either Nuge or the Dr. Lucic/McDavid/Yak should get heavy O starts with a sheltering as best can on the road, which is why the coach needs a killer PNE line. McDavid should be able to propel Yak to a Kunitz level of sidekick.

Dr.’s #’s are no screaming Hell when he wasn’t running wild with the room cancer, his shooting % was a top 5 batting average for awhile, there should be a lot of optimism, yet near as much sheer fear. Maybe it’s just a oiler fan thing with the last 10years, but I see the chances of matching last season being near impossible. Even while feasting upon the lessers, he’ll be rolling with a rookie, and probably a winger he has next to no time playing with. Chemistry can be a real back check

21. Water Fire says:

No worries my sense of humor is dry and I forget sometimes ( or always) that it doesn’t sound in everyone else’s noggin like it does in mine, which is really unfortunate for youse guys 🙂

22. AsiaOil says:

Going to be a really interesting year at RW. Will be fascinating to watch. Lots of questions to be answered. Can Yak regain his offense and continue to develop his overall game? Can Eberle push his ES scoring closer to where it was in 2011-2012 and play a better defensive game? Can Puljujarvi show signs of elite play? Will Kassian show up in camp in great shape and regain some of his offense? Will Pitlick be healthy and show some ability as a bottom 6 forward? Actually pretty positive on all of these counts given the change in team leadership that happened this summer which showed without a doubt that everyone aside from CMD is tradable.

23. LadiesloveSmid says:

I believe in Harvey Dent and Jesse Puljujarvi

I think he QBs the point on the PP in 6 months time, scores 20 goals in 60 games

24. Water Fire says:

AsiaOil: Actually pretty positive on all of these counts given the change in team leadership that happened this summer which showed without a doubt that everyone aside from CMD is tradable.

I think everybody got the message loud and clear – EBERLE 🙂 gets a shooting coach, Yak trains in a way he didn’t before (McLellan), I’m sure Nuge comes with another 5 lbs (but he was doing that on his own drive in summer).

With no intent to offend our fine host I don’t like that it took trading Hall and drafting JP for Eberle to make a concerted effort to improve (summer coaching). Maybe he has but we have never heard about it and he has stayed under weight for an NHL player his whole career so far.

Remember Nuge and Hall gained a lot of muscle in their first two years and most eilte players do try to develop a ‘world’s best league’ physique.

Eberle needs to be faster and stronger and has holes in his game. But I imagine ‘the trade’ was part of the goal of management to light a fire under the team, especially the talent.

Eberle should also show up looking more muscular as McDavid, Hall, Nuge, Klefbom and Yak have done before. So basically the best and all the better players other than Yak. It’s what you do.

It’s a man’s league and being weakish won’t fly for most, if you aren’t Pat Kane. Don’t forget these Oiler wunderkind have not ever played a long season. If Crosby and McDavid think strength is important everybody else should – it’s a no brainer at that point.

25. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Re: Yakupov – Here’s my take:

Don’t give him away for a bag of pucks. Build up his confidence let him roll with Lucic and McDavid to start the season. That’s a perfect setup hopefully he can hang with them Lucic holds him accountable.

If he falters after given every opportunity – it’s not going to work with anyone else (although the thought of him with Drai is intriguing) so you

A: Trade him for something decent if possible
    B: Keep him and tell McPhee to take him in the expansion draft

You could argue he has more value as your expansion pick than getting pennies on the dollar in a trade. We could keep Pouliot, Maroon and Davidson potentially if we could work out a deal with McPhee to select Yak and we know he loves his Russians. During his 15 years as GM he drafted Orlov, Semin, Ovechkin, Varlamov and Kuznetsov amongst a bunch of others while also trading for guys like Fedorov, Berezin, Riazantsev, Yushkevich, Khristich and Tezikov. Surely, he would be tempted to take a 23 yr old, former 1st overall pick if we were willing to give him up.

We will and should be if it doesn’t work out with McDavid. If he does have a good year and I hope he does but have my doubts – even better for us.

Giving him up now for next to nothing makes no sense.

26. Jethro Tull says:

I wonder what the narratives would be if Hemsky was just reaching his prime and still playing for us.

Don’t worry, i figured it out. I asked Siri, and she said just replace the name Hemsky with Eberle.

Why does there HAVE to be a goat, guys?

27. Gordies Elbow says:

GCW_69: That MacT trade is leaking value like crazy.

Could be worse. I went to check on the #37 that year that started the 5 for 1, Valentine Zykov. He was traded with a conditional 5th round pick on the 28th of February for Kris Versteeg.

28. AsiaOil says:

Water Fire,

29. AsiaOil says:

Jethro Tull: Why does there HAVE to be a goat, guys?

30. Gordies Elbow says:

Kiltymcbagpipes:
    Re: Yakupov – Here’s my take:

I agree that it’s a perfect setup, but it’s likely better with the new system that they’re trying to implement.

I knew the “place and chase” system as the “2-1-2 overload.” It’s one of the simplest systems to coach, and you see it as early as novice hockey.

On a defensive zone recovery, the defender recovers the puck (need puck recovery defenders, shout out to Ricki,) and they move the puck to the winger on the defensive half wall. The centre provides low support, and the winger generally hits the centre with a short pass near the defensive zone dot. The centre attacks with speed to their defensive zone blue line. Both wingers enter the neutral zone, keeping the defenders honest. The centre gains the neutral zone attacking with speed in the centre ice.

The centre then has a couple of choices. If he sees a defender cheating to him, he plays the puck to the uncovered winger, who attacks creating a 2 on 1. If both defenders cover the wings from entry, the centre plays the puck to one of the corners. For Edmonton, this will usually be the left corner (right defensive corner.) With Lucic, Pouliot, Maroon, Hendricks, they’ll try to pressure the right defender.

The wingers responsibility is to cover the defenders passing lane out of the zone and close fast. The centre takes the cross seam pass. The other winger takes the high slot, keeping the other defender pinned in front of the goaltender. This is the Eberle/Yakupov/Kassian/Slepyshev/Puljujarvi spot.

The centre then attacks from one side of the puck moving defender, and the winger attacks from the other. If they’re good at it, they’ll regain possession more than they lose it, and they’ll be able to start the cycle. The overpressure leads to turnovers, and defenders swallowing the puck. With the Oiler’s left wingers, I think that many defenders will chuck the puck rather than take the hit.

To play this system, you need a group of big (not necessarily fast) puck retrieving defenders, and a mix of both big (physical pressure) and skilled (shooting) wingers, and above all else, fast and skilled centres. This is why you see it in youth hockey – the best players are usually the centres, and it’s easy to teach to the weaker players.

It’s a better system for players like Yakupov. Still can have the bees, allows the other players (McDavid) to provide cover.

31. Pouzar says:

Jethro Tull:

Don’t worry, i figured it out.I asked Siri, and she said just replace the name Hemsky with Eberle.

Why does there HAVE to be a goat, guys?

I really hope Eberle can “bounce back” this year!

32. theres oil in virginia says:

Didn’t the old-boys club call out Marincin for lack of effort? How is the above any different?

Eberle is listed at 5-11 and 181 lb. Pat Kane is listed at 5-11 and 181 lb.

33. Gordies Elbow says:

AsiaOil: The Hall trade and the Lucic incoming verbal was the equivalent of slap across the face to the remaining old core. Basically saying “wake the frack up, you’re not as good as you think you are”. We will see if the message was received – and to the surprise of some – I hope it was and all of our players have career years.

I think that the Hall trade, and the Lucic signing were due to the change in systems play that Chiarelli/McLellan want.

Hall, with his speed, is suited to a 5 man pressure system (e.g. swarm.) He’s a great puck carrier, and attacks with speed. That’s a workable system for many teams, provided you have the right players playing the system. Edmonton didn’t – too many rookies, and it relies on decision making that was beyond Edmonton’s players. How many games did we see players out of position, leading to grade “A” scoring chances (or goals) against?

Edmonton’s becoming a physical forechecking, cycle team. I would not have expected that the night before the lottery balls came down.

34. haters says:

Would someone be so kind to link interview from Tmac ? I’m not finding it anywhere

35. Ducey says:

haters:

Oilers website has some blurbs

36. Jethro Tull says:

I’ve always found the sandpaper and grit analogies strange.

The less grit sandpaper has, the rougher it is. The more grit, well, it becomes more…….polished.

Perhaps finishing products for industrial and hobby purposes don’t make for good comparisons to what we think we’re seeing from certain players.

#firstofftheice

37. Jethro Tull says:

haters:

Hope this works for you. He’s looking well.

38. flyfish1168 says:

Saw an interview with Jimmy Devellano can’t remember when. He was talking about the best trade he never made. He was about to trade Steve Yzerman.

If the Oilers and Yak can work together I believe this can be something we can look back with time and say the the best trade that didn’t happen. Here is hoping

39. Cahoon says:

That potential opening night roster this year looks wayyyy better than last year’s.

Victor Findlay @Finder_24

Hearing Kootenay’s Jaedon Descheneau has a one year deal with the Bakersfield Condors. Official announcement coming shortly.

41. rickithebear says:

Puck mover?
    1. the puck moves fastest with a pass.
    2.you sure do not want Dman directly driving the puck.
    3. it allows opp to set-up to defend the zone entry and then the HSCA area.
    4. the more directly involved a damn is in the offence the less likely we see a goal
    3.5 times as unlikely.

top 180 evg scorers.
    forwards outscore 3040 to 212
    14.3 times more goals.
    I want man that can pass to set-up.

KLefbom #29 .70 EVA/60
    there with Matta; Boychuk; Muzzin; Petrovic

Larsson #39 .67 EVA/60
    there with Green; Faulk; Keith; Ekblad; Krug; Sutter

42. Mr DeBakey says:

Ice lose Descheneau for duration of season

by Taylor Rocca – Cranbrook Daily Townsman
    posted Nov 16, 2015 at 3:51 PM
    The Kootenay Ice are officially without the services of right wing Jaedon Descheneau for the duration of the 2015-16 WHL season.

Monday afternoon Ice head coach Luke Pierce confirmed that Descheneau, 20, will undergo season-ending shoulder surgery at the end of November to repair damage sustained in an incidental collision back on Oct. 6 in Prince Albert.

Descheneau, a native of Edmonton, only skated in two games with the Ice this season, registering one assist, before being knocked out of action with the shoulder injury.

A fifth-round pick (124th overall) of the St. Louis Blues at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, Descheneau has yet to sign an NHL entry-level contract.

In 265 career WHL games, all with the Kootenay Ice, the 5-foot-9, 192-pound speedster tallied 111 goals and 272 points.

His best season came in 2013-14. Skating alongside all-time franchise scoring leader Sam Reinhart, Descheneau put up 44 goals and 98 points in 70 games.

43. Frank the dog says:

If Yak becomes the player we thought they drafted, the obvious question will come up asking whether Hall was Yak’s wet blanket.

44. rickithebear says:

Yak is jesus bloody awful when it comes to Goal dif.
    His goal dif requires the other 3 lines to Score .40 EVGF/60 more.

Beck who is 2 years older has been given less chance (gm) than yak.
    Yet is superior in a tough comp shutdown role.
    outclasses yak in GD and Off production when playing in an offensive role.

the job of the gm is not to try and make the scouts look good.
    he is suppose to put the best players possible to outscore the opposition and win games.

Beck has proven far superior with less opportunity.

Yak better prove himself “quickly”

45. rickithebear says:

AsiaOil: Better question is why do we have to accept players achieving far less than they could with full commitment?

KLowe said it in his 590 interview.

chased all the pretty forwards.
    but you have to build froth back out and down the center.

Our collection of top end forwards could not outscore our poor PK aand Ev GA.

46. Oilspill says:

RexLibris: I hope this is true. I am not entirely certain the a vocal majority of the fan base will be so patient in their appraisal.

The vocal majorities opinion may not correlate highly to understanding strategies and intricacies of the game.

47. LadiesloveSmid says:

Victor Findlay @Finder_24

maybe they can let him walk to Bridegport when he’s a near P/G player

this kind of signing doesn’t do anything for me anymore

48. rickithebear says:

lucic 6’3′ 228 – Mcdavid 6’1″ 195 – Eberle 5’10” 180

pouliot 6’3″ 200 – draisatl 6’1″ 208 – Puljujarvi 6’3″ 208

Maroon 6’3″ 229 – RNH 6’0″1 80 – Kassian 6’3″ 212

Hendricks 6’0″ 210 – Lestestu 5’11” 195 – Pakarinen 6’1″ 205

Khaira 6’3″ 215 – Beck 6’2″ 208

Davidson 6’2″ 210 – larsson 6’3″210

Klefbom 6’3″ 215 – Fayne 6’3″ 212

Sekera 6’0″ 200 – Nurse 6’4″ 213

49. BONVIE says:

rickithebear:
    Yak is jesus bloody awful when it comes to Goal dif.
    His goal dif requires the other 3 lines to Score .40 EVGF/60 more.

Beck who is 2 years older has been given less chance (gm) than yak.
    Yet is superior in a tough comp shutdown role.
    outclasses yak in GD and Off production when playing in an offensive role.

the job of the gm is not to try and make the scouts look good.

Beck has proven far superior with less opportunity.

Yak better prove himself “quickly”

LadiesloveSmid: maybe they can let him walk to Bridegport when he’s a near P/G player

this kind of signing doesn’t do anything for me anymore

I think Arcobello is probably the outer marker for this type of player.

51. Gordies Elbow says:

rickithebear,

Ricki, you and I are heading to the same place, just using a different map to get there.

Yakupov’s not good in the “swarm” system – he puts himself in poor positions, as he’s wired to cheat for offense. Dallas Eakins recognized this, and tried to change his game, having him play the wrong side (left, due to sticks on boards) shallower (due to Yakupov’s speed and decision making) and less in the high slot.

Look at the games he played with McDavid. He played the high slot, cheated to open ice, and McDavid covered, and delivered pucks. Ironically, it was Yakupov’s linemates cashing on the work, more than Yakupov. That said, it worked as McDavid carried the puck, and Yakupov provided enough of a threat that defenders had to make a choice.

This is the sweet spot, for them. Yak’s a complimentary guy (and maybe not the best in that role playing with McDavid) but he’s capable of drawing defenders. I think that they realize that with the younger team, they need a simpler system, and have gone to one that they know works with some of the player-types they have.

52. LadiesloveSmid says:

Lowetide: I think Arcobello is probably the outer marker for this type of player.

Maybe it’s Arcobello, maybe it’s Mitch Holmberg, maybe it’s Tyler Johnson. Just wish they wouldn’t walk on Winquists in favour of Hamiltons and Pitlicks

53. ashley says:

flyfish1168:
    Saw an interview with Jimmy Devellano can’t remember when.He was talking about the best trade he never made. He was about to trade Steve Yzerman.

Except that Chia was never going to trade Yak. Only LT and all of his blog fans were trading Yak. So it’s more like “potentially the best trade that wasn’t made by LT and fans”. And I agree that a Yak trade would have been difficult to justify. That’s why we hired a smart guy as our general manager.

54. ashley says:

BONVIE: I couldn’t agree more, it scares me to see how many people that post here think Yak can play on a top line.

Well there is the first quarter of the season last year before his injury where he played really well. How many other chances has he been given? Has Yak ever had any other sustained experience with linemantes who are above third line? It’s time to get off this young man’s back. Some of the stuff being discussed here isn’t close to justifiable.

I would submit that we still don’t know what we have in Yak. He has barely had a chance to show us. What I’ve seen from him playing with top linemates, I’ve liked.

55. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

ashley: Except that Chia was never going to trade Yak.Only LT and all of his blog fans were trading Yak.So it’s more like “potentially the best trade that wasn’t made by LT and fans”.And I agree that a Yak trade would have been beyond silly.That’s why we hired a smart guy as our general manager.

It’s late so I’ll put this nicely. If Chia could have gotten anything close to value he was a goner. Everyone and their brother around the NHL knew it, the fans knew it, my dog knew it. I love Chia but to say he “was never going to trade Yak” is just plain wrong. All indications from a million writers is he was and is still available BUT NOBODY WANTS TO GIVE UP ANYTHING SIGNIFICANT TO GET HIM.

Keeping a guy who literally hurts your team is silly. Trading him away for NOTHING is silly. But trading him for something significant is not silly, it helps the team. Chiarelli is not a smart man because he kept him he is smart for not trading him for pennies on the dollar – that’s the difference. That doesn’t mean he isn’t trying just cuz it hasn’t happened yet.

56. semi legendary rot lobster says:

laaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryy

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

not u larry

u were my hero

another gr8 one who is victim of 2016

57. BONVIE says:

ashley: Well there is the first quarter of the season last year before his injury where he played really well.How many other chances has he been given?Has Yak ever had any other sustained experience with linemantes who are above third line?It’s time to get off this young man’s back.Some of the stuff being discussed here isn’t close to justifiable.

I would submit that we still don’t know what we have in Yak.He has barely had a chance to show us.What I’ve seen from him playing with top linemates, I’ve liked.

That stretch he played with McDavid your referring to was third line and some second line match ups you do realize this right?

To play with McDavid this year his wingers have to be able to play against top pair and first line opposition. Home ice won’t be enough to get McDavids line against weaker opponents next year. He will see the best every night, home and away.

If Yak starts on the top line I will pretty much write the season off, unless the other lines really outscore their match ups by a .4GPG as Ricky suggested.

58. hunter1909 says:

OilClog: McDavid doesn’t need a top line RW to produce top line results, he’s the type of guy that creates the Kevin Stevens of the world.

Smart commentary.

Gordies Elbow: Edmonton didn’t

Before MacT/Eakins they were developing quickly into an excellent puck possession attacking team.

Hall-Eberle alone used to be worth the price of admission.

Killer dynamic power play – the opposition looked scared – think about that.

All flushed down the bog. Oilers no more dream of being the Montreal Canadiens of Beliveau – it’s Toronto Maple Leafs Punch Imlach hockey that’s coming. Lowetide will be writing about finding Dave Keon/Norm Ullman – while opining over the loss of all star players like Taylor Hall(Bernie Parent) in the quasi-eternal quest for Katz’s vanity+socio-egomania.

It’s enough to make a fan puke.

59. Ducey says:

Mr DeBakey:
    Ice lose Descheneau for duration of season

byTaylor Rocca – Cranbrook Daily Townsman
    posted Nov 16, 2015 at 3:51 PM

Injured shoulder from incidental contact? Born Oiler.

I like this signing. Unlike most of the other AHL deals, this guy was drafted, and has some size. He is 5’9″ but 192lbs is plenty. If he can skate, giddyup. And he shoots right. Chia is clearly trying to get more righties.

60. Fog of Warts says:

Water Fire:

No, what you’re neglecting is the difference between real life and Almost Better Than Life (since there are still some things in life that Lowetide can’t deliver with his deft pen).

In real life, we begin with the person, then hear the words in that frame. In BLT blitz mode, we see only the words, and maybe then attend to the person (pseudonym) behind the words, or maybe we’re already brain-fried by the first trigger syllable and already dusting off spit-polished nuclear response #13.

Here’s the test.

Take a sentence out of context and show it around to some regulars, asking “who wrote this, do you think?” If none of the regulars can instantly map it back to the author from style alone, your sarcasm is a snowflake wannabee trapped in hell [**].

Around here, Rickibear would lap the field on the 100 meter sprint. I think my own prose might hold up well in the 10 kpc bracket (kiloparsec).

Seriously, my Rickibear detector starts going off when the top half of one line of text becomes visible at the bottom edge of my screen—a full five inches out of my attentive foveal vision cone (perhaps my foveal cone flicks around behind my back, I really couldn’t say how that works, but whatever visual infidelities are involved must be 10 ms or less).

In summary:

No who, no sarcasm no-how. [*]

———

[*] Uncharacteristically pithy paw-print brought to you by the imp of the perverse.

———

Just five words at the outset to suggest whether the speaker is more like Robin Hood or more like Friar Tuck[*] goes a long ways in establishing a viable sarcastic frame.

———

[*] No, you can’t be more like King Richard, because those five words are already too many.

“He was known as Richard the Lionheart because of his reputation as a great military leader and warrior. He was also known in Occitan as Oc e No (Yes and No), because of his reputation for terseness.”

Just imagine the prehensile eyebrows required to deliver sarcasm on his fickle feline verbal budget—some might describe this contest as a 2 m dash, while others might describe this as a standing long jump for one foot—thus was the imperial metric debate first enjoined).

———

[**] Wait just a minute there, buddy—you’re no snowflake, are you! Life is not pretty for a wannabee snowflake trapped in hell.

Is ‘my Rickibear detector’ a thing? Because it should be a thing.

62. semi legendary rot lobster says:

any1 seen movie the lobster

i assume it is good

63. Nail Yakupov Returning? Condors Add F and Captain McDavid? • The Oilers Rig says:

[…] (via Lowetide) went on to discuss how Yakupov is trying new things this off-season in an effort to have more […]