BOB GREEN: LIMELIGHT

Bob Green and his Oilers scouts track the hockey world from August to May each season, attempting to outsmart the competition. An organization that has misspent on youth in some important draft spots badly needs to score early and often in 2015, 2016 and beyond. It is a long, long road. (Limelight)

BOB GREEN DRAFT LIST

2015

• Round 1, No. 1 overall: C Connor McDavid.
  • Round 4, No. 117 overall: D Caleb Jones.
  • Round 5, No. 124 overall: D Ethan Bear.
  • Round 6, No. 154 overall: D John Marino.
  • Round 7, No. 208 overall: G Miroslav Svoboda.
  • Round 7, No. 209 overall: Ziyat Paigin.

2016

• No. 4 overall—R Jesse Puljujarvi.
  • No. 32 overall—L Tyler Benson.
  • No. 63 overall—LD Markus Niemelainen.
  • No. 84 overall—LD Matthew Cairns.
  • No. 91 overall—RD Filip Berglund.
  • No. 123 overall—G Dylan Wells.
  • No. 149 overall—L Graham McPhee.
  • No. 153 overall—RC Aapeli Rasanen.
  • No. 183 overall—RD Vincent DeSharnais.
  1. Why didn’t you use Lucky Ones? Loverboy? They didn’t make the cut this time. You are right of course, Bob Green and staff have been extremely fortunate at the top of the draft.
  2. His drafting looks good so far. Yes. It is important to remember that most of the names above will not become productive NHL players, but good arrows in the early days.
  3. Can we identify players more likely to succeed? Draft number means a lot, and the odds do inform. For instance, it is basically impossible for all of Caleb Jones, Ethan Bear and Ziyat Paigin to become productive NHL regulars. It is far more likely that only one of three will play in the NHL to 100 or more games—and all of them could fail. That is what draft history suggests.
  4. Who would you bet on? Jones. He was the highest pick, and hasn’t done anything to lose his spot in line. Many miles to go.
  5. And yet you have Bear rated higher. I rated Bear at No. 6, Jones at No. 7, and Paigin No. 3. As mentioned, many miles to go. All three have good arrows though—a good sign. I suspect someone falls off in year two.
  6. Is this the Chorney, Petry, Wild story? Yes, as a matter of fact. In that case, the second ranked player—Petry—ended up being the NHL player. He was chosen No. 45, Chorney No. 36 and Wild No. 140.
  7. Any sign of analytics in this draft? I think you can find analytics in anything if you look long enough—even if it isn’t in use from the other side. In terms of moneyball bets, I liked Ethan Bear, Filip Berglund and Aapeli Rasanen on their draft days. I do not know if analytics played a part in any of the selections in 2015 and 2016.
  8. Anything else? Well, there seems to be a little more offense in the defensemen—none are strictly speaking defensive defensemen. That is a change—Ethan Bear had 38 WHL points in his draft year, Musil 25. It isn’t a firm rule—Markus Niemelainen had 27 points in his draft year—but there appears to be an acknowledgement that guys like Musil and Mitch Moroz didn’t bring enough offense to be taken so early. Need to make better bets.
  9. They wasted two of their third-round picks? No, I disagree. Niemelainen is a big man with good speed, who played in the best junior league in the world. He may not spike offensively, but I was pleased to see an OHL pick. Matthew Cairns has a nice resume, including some two-way ability and a good shot. I know he played in tier two, but the players chosen immediately afterward (Josh Mahura, Casey Fitzgerald, Garrett Pilon) did not represent extreme value. I really like their third pick in the round, Filip Berglund.
  10. Is Green involved in any other areas? Green and staff are probably involved in scouting college players, and that may include Drake Caggiula. I wrote about Bob Green’s whiteboard in February, the club did procure a name or two from that list. Bakersfield also signed Jordan Descheneau today, Green and staff probably had a big book of facts on him.
  11. I still blame him for Reinhart. You have to get over this stuff, it will do you no good. The general manager makes the trades, the amateur scouting director compiles the amateur list and advises when asked his opinion.
  12. Would Green have given a glowing review on Reinhart? God yes. GR as an Oil Kings defender was a wonderful player, an impact defenseman. Chances are Green would have been very complimentary in regard to Reinhart.
  13. I rest my case. Reinhart was drafted in 2012, we will see how this coming season works out. I do believe Peter Chiarelli paid too much, while also remaining amused by those who are seeking to bury a 22-year old defender.
  14. What areas does Edmonton need help in at the amateur level? Goaltending, although they have some new recruits now and you never know. I think RH defense could still use a boost, and of course forwards drive results so it never hurts to grab another two or three.
  15. How long should a team wait to evaluate a scouting director? Great question. I always say five years for players, so would probably suggest waiting seven or so for scouting directors. That way they can get a good look at two or three draft seasons.
  16. What lost Stu MacGregor his job? Probably the picks 31-91 in 2010 and 2011. If you add them all up, Tyler Pitlick (No. 31), David Musil (No. 31) Martin Marincin (No. 46), Curtis Hamilton (No. 48), Ryan Martindale (No. 61), Samu Perhonen (No. 63), Travis Ewanyk (No. 74) and Jeremie Blain (No. 91), there simply isn’t enough from that group.
  17. So Bob Green needs to do better? I have always thought that scouting directors can survive forever if the NHL team is winning. Must have learned it from Barry Fraser.
  18. Why this song? The limelight angle works—and the observer role too, but I picked it for the song’s feel. It is a hopeful song, the music itself makes you feel good. Rush was never my band but I like bunches of their songs, this was near the top.

59 Responses to "BOB GREEN: LIMELIGHT"

1. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

That 2015 draft has ridiculous value.

Kiltymcbagpipes:
    That 2015 draft has ridiculous value.

So did 2003.

3. Westchester Oil says:

Thanks for another good post, LT.

I know we’re all supposed to be over the GR trade by now, but it would be nice to see what Green could have done with those two high picks plus the stupid 3rd rounder we had to give up to the Sharks for McClellan.

4. HT Joe says:

Lowetide: So did 2003.

Sheesh LT… and your post said it would do us good to let go of things. 🙂

HT Joe: Sheesh LT… and your post said it would do us good to let go of things.🙂

You should let go of your stuff, while I hang on to my stuff. 🙂

6. LadiesloveSmid says:

I always think LT needs to spend less time in the sun when he talks to himself.

Really hope Paigin has a similar season, better would seem to put him as one of the premier Dmen in the KHL. May be optimistic. Serious boom/bust

7. LadiesloveSmid says:

Lowetide: So did 2003.

and you tell us to move on with our lives from the Hall trade!

you really are the dad of this site, do as I say not as I do

8. stephen sheps says:

Hey LT, I figured this would be quicker than an email – some the comments over at ON on your Yakimov article have taken a fairly (and unfortunately predictably) nasty tone. Lots of racism and general awfulness. I hate to be the P.C. police, and admittedly some of the stuff in those comments actually validates some of the research I’m doing, but it’s pretty bad. Could you perhaps check in with the ON mods to look into it?

cheers

9. JDï™ says:

Lowetide: while I hang on to my stuff.

As long as you have a place for it…

10. HT Joe says:

Lowetide: You should let go of your stuff, while I hang on to my stuff. 🙂

Fine, fine… how about I let go of half of my stuff? Now… where to begin…
    – Taylor Hall trade
    – 10 years out of playoffs
    – Reinhart trade
    – Petry Trade
    – Eakins
    – All the coaches playing Jultz too much
    – Katz’s negotiations for the arena (including the Seattle visit threat)
    – McTavish trashing Penner to the media (even though Penner was their leading scorer at the time)
    – Tambellini.. all of it
    – Pronger Trade

I take it back Lowetide… I’m going to try to let go of a little more than half… this really isn’t healthy. 🙂

11. Centre of attention says:

It’ll be great when Bob keeps giving Peter & company useful prospects, only to have them pissed away by a nightmare development system. What use is good drafting when all the useful prospects will be buried or sign elsewhere? Le sigh. Bob Green can only pick kids, what the Oilers do with them is most likely out of his hands once they are out of junior.

The college signings are promising at least, Oesterle and Cagguila can help make up for an awful 2014 draft.

To sum up: Do I like the last two years of drafting? F*ck yeah. But am I optimistic in how I think the Oilers will develop the picks? F*ck no.

Sorry for the depressing post, had to get that out of my system.

PS: I wonder if Bogdan would have had a better development curve as well as a better opinion of the Oilers if they hadn’t buried him beneath Ford/Miller/RandomCareerAHLer. If he had got those minutes, would things be different? This fan thinks so.

12. Genjutsu says:

Marincin has made the grade. If Pitlick and Musil can step in and play 100 games between them can we say that the decision to let Stu go was unfair?

If, in addition, Lander returns to the form and scoring rate is it wildly unfair?

I’m not confident that they will but it’s not entirely out of the question either.

Injuries and bad luck likely sewered more scouts than actual incompetence. Stu may have just been unlucky.

Genjutsu:

14. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

I don’t know if anyone else has noticed but I have been much calmer since we traded Hall. I’ve only been “under review” like once or twice since. Mind you the season is over but man that guy’s 200 ft game drove me nuts. I am sooo looking forward to Lucic opening a can of whoopass every night and that death stare from the bench.

15. dustrock says:

My good friend Geoff can’t stand Rush but even he likes this song.

Classic.

Taylor Chorney 123 2 11 13

is on his way to 200 games. Will get close to it this season. Is on a team where he can probably get to 300-400 games.

godot10:
    Taylor Chorney 12321113

is on his way to 200 games.Will get close to it this season.Is on a team where he can probably get to 300-400 games.

Chorney did not become an NHL player in anything resembling a reasonable amount of time. Very dubious connection to be made to the Oilers.

18. Klima's_Bucket says:

I like how The Littlest Hobo makes a cameo at the beginning of the Rush video.

19. Romulus Apotheosis says:

It seems worth noting that they didn’t move any of the picks.

For an off-season with such a big change, it’s kind of odd to me that they ran the table on the picks.

Usually, there’s at least a late round swap btw managers just so they can feel alive at the end, that or give their AGMs something to do.

20. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: So did 2003.

DAMN YOU SID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. ashley says:

Is this the Chorney, Petry, Wild story?

I thought it was Peckham, Petry, Plante. Either way, only one out of the three made it, and that is about what we should expect.

22. ashley says:

Speaking of expectations, I am surprised the Kopitar comp for Drai in the last thread is back again from last summer. We are likely to be disappointed if we are expecting Drai to be Kopitar.

If I had to guess, I would say that Drai is going to have a career like his fellow countryman, Jochen Hecht. Hecht would be flying high, dazzlingfor stretches, showing insane talent, then disappear for 30-40 games. Hmmmm that already sounds just like Drai.

This would have been a great year to trade Drai to balance the roster because his value is going to settle a little from where it stands right now. Excellent write-up on Drai BTW. I completely agree with the RE.

I do disagree with those in the comment section who are placing him ahead of RNH on the depth chart. He’s not close now, and I don’t think Drai will ever reach the level of RNH as a centreman.

23. VanIsleOil says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    I like how The Littlest Hobo makes a cameo at the beginning of the Rush video.

24. Genjutsu says:

Lowetide: MacGregor needed Tambellini to survive and he did not. He might have survived if MacT had been able to set sail. Bob Green will flourish if the NHL team starts winning.

That’s just it, isn’t it? Winning forgives many gaffs and when a team struggles their needs to be a lamb.

It’s unfortunate for these scouts that they often don’t get enough time to be judged fairly on merit before the axe falls.

I always wondered how much the headman could see under that hood anyways.

25. anjinsan says:

LT,
    Bob Green’s input on Reinhart convinced Chiarelli to blow 16 (Kyle Connor) and 33 (Brandon Carlo) on Reinhart, both high first round grades in areas of need. Those two happen to be who I would have picked in the 2015 crazy deep draft, but 16 could have been Barzal, Svetchnikov, Jeremy Roy, Samsonov, others…and 33 could have been Blackwood, Meloche, Andersson, Kylington, others.
    Now of course Chiarelli went with it, so it’s not completely on Green, but you’re writing about Green. If either had done actual homework it would have quickly revealed that the Reinhart was SLOW, and had been passed badly by his draft year D cohort and had been passed by multiple players in the Islander depth chart.

On the whole, HT Joe but it well above.

Consider this — had Chiarelli picked Barzal and Carlo, he would have had two big ass chips to trade for Hamonic last season, as the Islander COVETED Barzal. We would still have Hall.
    (Of course we’d probably not have Puljujarvi, who I think will be better than Hall.

By the way Adam Fox graded out just like Bean and he’s not smaller than Barrie….there was your RHD powerplay magician.

anjinsan:
    LT,
    Bob Green’s input on Reinhart convinced Chiarelli to blow 16 (Kyle Connor) and 33 (Brandon Carlo) on Reinhart, both high first round grades in areas of need.Those two happen to be who I would have picked in the 2015 crazy deep draft, but 16 could have been Barzal, Svetchnikov, Jeremy Roy, Samsonov, others…and 33 could have been Blackwood, Meloche, Andersson, Kylington, others.
    Now of course Chiarelli went with it, so it’s not completely on Green, but you’re writing about Green.If either had done actual homework it would have quickly revealed that the Reinhart was SLOW, and had been passed badly by his draft year D cohort and had been passed by multiple players in the Islander depth chart.

On the whole, HT Joe but it well above.

Consider this — had Chiarelli picked Barzal and Carlo, he would have had two big ass chips to trade for Hamonic last season, as the Islander COVETED Barzal.We would still have Hall.

The GM. You place responsibility on the GM.

27. Derek says:

ashley,

Jochen Hecht never became an NHL regular until his draft +5 season where he scored 34 points in 63 games. He was also drafted 49th overall.

Kopitar may be a blue sky comp, but Hecht is quite a ways in the opposite direction considering Leon just scored 51 points in 72 games as a 20 year old playing for the most dysfunctional NHL organization of the past decade.

28. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: The GM. You place responsibility on the GM.

I’d bet a silver dollar the former GM had a hand in it as well.

Remember when you were worried about who Peter had in the room with him? Yeah.

29. Cahoon says:

anjinsan,

I would have taken Barzal and Kylington

30. Mantis says:

VanIsleOil: The Littlest Hobo!! I remember as a little kid watching that show and thinking it was pretty cool in a cheesy Canadian way. Don’t know who was the better actor back then, Hobo or Skippy the Bush Kangaroo.

A little Canadiana for everyone – and now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

31. Gerta Rauss says:

Thanks for tossing a bone to us Rush fans, LT

And my favorite song to boot

Music!!

32. John Chambers says:

ashley,

We disagree on young Leon’s trajectory. I see him as an emerging #1C.

But I’ve blue-skied Oiler players before …

33. Ryan says:

anjinsan,

On the whole, the GM’s job is to at least be smarter than the average hockey fan.

That doesn’t sound like a very high bar.

In our case, we’d all hope and expect our GM to make smarter decisions than the brightest amongst us at this blog.

Now, there’s some very bright and successful people at this blog, so that might be an unrealistic expectation.

Look at the initial reaction to any GM’s bold move. History generally is not kind to moves that fail the cringe test.

Being smarter than the collective fanbases for different teams shouldn’t be too hard, but it is…

For the Reinhart trade, fans at Lighthouse hockey were thrilled and we were generally dismayed here.

For the Hall trade, c’est la meme chose with The All about the Jersey blog.

The cringe test… The closest thing to a draw on the cringe test for me was when Dubnyk was traded for Hendricks. Now Dubnyk was a Vezina nominee and better than any goaler we’ve had subsequently, but at least the wheels took longer to fall off Hendricks than we thought.

History is generally unkind to moves that fail the initial cringe test.

34. kinger_OIL says:

– Great post LT! re: Green, he didn’t screw up McD or pool-party, and for the rest we wait…

35. G Money says:

WHAAAT?!?!? I saw the title and I just assumed it was another old bluesy or countryish Limelight. But no! Finally LT has seen the light. THE LIMELIGHT!

36. G Money says:

kinger_OIL: – This is one of those songs that I’ve heard a million times, but I have no clue what it is about, what the story is or even the lyrics, or anything: it makes no sense to me. Whatever this song is about, its just filler for an awesome iconic rift and a sweet guitar solo.

I have no idea how to parse this statement.

You don’t actually know what ‘limelight’ refers to, or what the song is about? Seriously?

Ryan,

Well done!

37. kinger_OIL says:

G Money,

– yeah : having heard it a million times, I know the sounds and solos verbatim. For me, the lyrics are just the background.

– I don’t know what the song is about, seriousily. I just like the sound when it comes on the radio.

Mantis: Just so I can say I used this piece of trivia once this decade, the pup’s name was London, although his sibs were on the show as well (Toro, Litlon, and Thorn).

I love this kind of stuff. Flashback!

Gerta Rauss:
    Thanks for tossing a bone to us Rush fans, LT

And my favorite song to boot

Music!!

Ha! Almost lost out to Working Man or Beneath, Between Behind.

kinger_OIL:
    G Money,

– yeah : having heard it a million times, I know the sounds and solos verbatim.For me, the lyrics are just the background.

– I don’t know what the song is about, seriousily.I just like the sound when it comes on the radio.

It is a pretty unique lyric, Rush always was a thoughtful band. Borrowed from Shakespeare, and it is probably the most tasteful rock star lyric (kind of the opposite of Star Star).

41. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

ashley:

I do disagree with those in the comment section who are placing him ahead of RNH on the depth chart.He’s not close now, and I don’t think Drai will ever reach the level of RNH as a centreman.

So how do you conclude Drai “isn’t even close” or won’t “reach his level?”

42. JimmyV1965 says:

ashley:
    Speaking of expectations, I am surprised the Kopitar comp for Drai in the last thread is back again from last summer.We are likely to be disappointed if we are expecting Drai to be Kopitar.

If I had to guess, I would say that Drai is going to have a career like his fellow countryman, Jochen Hecht.Hecht would be flying high,dazzlingfor stretches, showing insane talent, then disappear for 30-40 games.Hmmmm that already sounds just like Drai.

This would have been a great year to trade Drai to balance the roster because his value is going to settle a little from where it stands right now.Excellent write-up on Drai BTW.I completely agree with the RE.

Agree with most of us. People have to cool their jets a bit. Having said that his passing skills and creativity are off the charts. But it takes a lot more than skill to carve out a career in this league.

43. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

JimmyV1965: Agree with most of us. People have to cool their jets a bit.Having said that his passing skills and creativity are off the charts. But it takes a lot more than skill to carve out a career in this league.

44. JimmyV1965 says:

Just to add my two cents to the Reinhart trade. Under normal circumstances, if you trade the 16th and 33rd for the 4th, you win that trade all day long. Having said that, 2012 was a weird draft year. But if you’re playing the percentages I think you need to make that deal.

45. JimmyV1965 says:

Kiltymcbagpipes: I’m cool. Just wondering if you could provide proof other than making a blanket statement how Nuge is better. Gimme some stats so I know.

I didn’t say RNH was better. Not at all. What I said is cool down the expectations. Especially in light of his play at the Worlds.

46. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

ashley:

Hecht would be flying high,dazzlingfor stretches, showing insane talent, then disappear for 30-40 games. Hmmmm that already sounds just like Drai.

Sounds like Hall too! Is Hecht the same as Hall?

Your pro-Nuge, Anti-Drai argument is nothing more than an opinion with nothing to support it . The resistance of the new core while clinging to the precious old core is nothing more than a fantasy.

47. commonfan14 says:

Romulus Apotheosis: It seems worth noting that they didn’t move any of the picks.

– Remembers again that they didn’t have to cash in a single extra pick to get Puljujärvi –

Man, that was awesome.

48. Centre of attention says:

Kiltymcbagpipes:

I could say the same thing about your Pro-Drai, Anti-Nuge comments.

What has Draisaitl done without Hall? Not much at all.

Meanwhile, Nuge drove a line for most of the year without Hall in 2014-2015. I know he had a poor year this year, but injury is an undeniable factor. Nuge has a greater chance to succeed in the absence of #4, the math as well as history show that.

Draisaitl has some good arrows. He is a damn fine NHL prospect. A top flight center guaranteed? Hardly. Cold reality will greet you this season, I hope you can handle it. He has so much to prove still. So many miles to go.

PS: I’m rooting for Draisaitl too. But boldly projecting him to the immediate success your predicting is unfair to not only the player but your own viewing experience as a fan. You’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

Lower your expectations, that way when things go well you can be pleasantly surprised 🙂 And if things go bad you can start handing out ” I told ya so’s ” like you’re some sort of prophet.

49. Chachi says:

Centre of attention: I could say the same thing about your Pro-Drai, Anti-Nuge comments.

What has Draisaitl done without Hall? Not much at all.

Meanwhile, Nuge drove a line for most of the year without Hall in 2014-2015. I know he had a poor year this year, but injury is an undeniable factor.Nuge has a greater chance to succeed in the absence of #4, the math as well as history show that.

Lower your expectations, that way when things go well you can be pleasantly surprised And if things go bad you can start handing out ” I told ya so’s ” like you’re some sort of prophet.

50. GCW_69 says:

“remaining amused by those who are seeking to bury a 22-year old defender.”

I wonder how many are seeking to bury him, vs those that look at the left side of the roster and just see four guys he is unlikely to beat out for a job?

And if he can’t, then he is a rapidly depreciating asset on a team that cannot afford to waste assets (yet seems to do so at every possible turn).

51. flyfish1168 says:

Development of the player post draft is important for the scout to be successful. The Oilers sewer their draft picks by not having a AHL team and poor AHL team till Nelson arrived as coach.

52. Centre of attention says:

Chachi: Is Drai “a damn fine prospect” or someone who you think just rode Hall’s coattails? Pick a lane!

But I won’t be projecting him above a healthy Nuge. Not yet.

53. theres oil in virginia says:

Centre of attention: Can he not be a bit of both? You don’t put up 51 points (Hall or not) without having some game. Drai has a lot to like.

But I won’t be projecting him above a healthy Nuge. Not yet.

I’m 99% positive that you missed the joke.

54. Chachi says:

theres oil in virginia: I’m 99% positive that you missed the joke.

To be fair, it wasn’t a very good joke…

55. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

What has Draisaitl done without Hall? Not much at all.

It’s funny I never said “top flight center guaranteed” or even boldly predicted him to have immediate success you just put that in there for convenience. I was responding to he’s “not even close” or on the same “level” as Nuge just wondering what stats were there to support that argument. No one gave me any. (Ftr, I still am in favor of acquiring a #3C and having Drai play RW on 2nd line with Nuge. Load top 6 have a good checking line 3rd. Not everyone shares that opinion. )

Drai was good with everyone and yes he played with Hall a lot but who do you think Nuge has been playing with for 4 years before that? After one full season Leon almost tied Nuge for the most he’s ever got in his 5 year career and beat him by some 4% in faceoffs. After his first full year. Now people want to hold him back for contract reasons, or Unicorns or because of their love of Nuge I’m saying play him with the big boys (or WITH Nuge) let him have success. Why should we lower expectations he is a supremely talented who was a monster last year don’t baby him he is part of the future core if anything put Nuge #3C he will do well there. McDavid will draw the toughest comp anyways Drai should do fine 2ND line but if he struggles then maybe move him down after given every opportunity. He has elite skills and has shown he can play with great players.

Nuge is a nice 2 way player but no one still has shown me statistically why he is sooo much better than Drai. He’s older than Leon and more experienced sure but to suggest he is on a whole different level or the two arent even close is ludicrous. The good news is management knows the players better than we do and doesn’t listen to us the fans I’m sure they will do what’s right. Or not.

Oh, and CoA – the only cold reality that you’re going to see is Nuge in an opposing uniform in a year or two. Not hating just keeping it real buddy. Bank on it.

56. elgruntus says:

HT Joe: Fine, fine… how about I let go of half of my stuff?Now… where to begin…
    – Taylor Hall trade
    – 10 years out of playoffs
    – Reinhart trade
    – Petry Trade
    – Eakins
    – All the coaches playing Jultz too much
    – Katz’s negotiations for the arena (including the Seattle visit threat)
    – Tambellini.. all of it
    – Pronger Trade

can I add….

-exiling Souray, your All-Star defenceman, to another team’s AHL squad because he spoke his mind.

57. Bruce McCurdy says:

elgruntus: can I add….

-exiling Souray,your All-Star defenceman, to another team’s AHL squad because he spoke his mind.

…or leaving three young players dangling in the wind for a month while trying to suck up to Dany Heatley.

It’s a long list. The idea of the Reinhart trade being #3 on the list — or even anywhere in the top 10 — is ludicrous.

58. ashley says:

Kiltymcbagpipes: I’m curious what “level” you are referring to. Drai was a better face off man than Nuge last year his first full year and scored 51 pts. The most Nuge has scored in his 5 yr career is 56 and was 44% in the face off circle in his fifth NHL season. Both played with Hall a lot in their careers. Pretty sure if you compared all their stats Drai was at least on or above Nuge statistically.

So how do you conclude Drai “isn’t even close” or won’t “reach his level?”

Ok, but let’s start with some stats from you on why Drai is slotted ahead of RNH on the depth chart?

It’s too early for what people are expecting from Drai. Maybe it works out that he turns into Kopitar or Thornton, but at this point, the similiarities are only in their body habitus and statistically speaking, Drai is much more likely to turn out to be an above average centreman than elite like Kopitar/Thornton. Kopitar would be a tail event at the far right of the curve. I’m hoping for that too, but we should be realistic.

Nuge is bonafide. He benefits from more time to show us, and show us he has. He is the most important part of this team after McDavid. I still can’t believe his name was out there in trade rumours, and I choose to believe that those rumours were not originating from Kingsway but rather from the other teams who were hoping to host an epic heist. Chia’s comments at the end of the season would support this. McClellan’s too.

I have information from a pro scout friend of ours we had dinner with last week, and I will share at another time when I have more time available to type, but it sounds like Hall was being shopped starting at the end of last season and up to the draft. At least one team asked for Nuge instead which is where things fell apart. McClellan’s post game rage on the East Coast trip was not aimed at Nuge as was so widely assumed by us, but rather Hall.

I know we often talk of other players in this regard, but I think Hall may have been the most mishandled Oiler of all in the rebuild since 2010. He’s a unique talent and trying to shove clever hockey systems down his throat caps his talent. He didn’t fit McClellan’s system, and didn’t put in a sustained effort to execute it, probably because he knew he could do better…contribute more. They blame Hall, I blame McClellan for lacking the creativity and flexibility to incorporate his unique style of play into his system.

59. Oilers Sunday Night Links • The Oilers Rig says:

[…] A Look at Bob Green: Bob Green took over as the Oilers Director of Amateur Scouting ahead of the 2015 NHL draft. Lowetide takes a look at Green’s first two drafts at the helm as part of his yearly Realistic Expectations series. […]