RIDDLE, MEET MYSTERY

Have you ever stared at a problem so long that the mind literally boggles? Of course you have. Consider this item: The right wing depth chart for next season, Edmonton Oilers. The top RW is Jordan Eberle, but after that we have an assortment of players who have some positives and negatives. Honestly, it is either a gold mine or a mine field, depending on the angle you view this group of players.

NAIL YAKUPOV

• Positives—He shoots the puck a lot—3.67 shots per game last season—and he did have success with McDavid. He has a value contract, and there should be 20 goals a year (or more) in this player. He scored 17 in 48 games as a rookie.
  • Negatives—He is an exhausting player in his decisioning. My goodness he has moments of addled play—and this is four years after his arrival. I think he will be in the opening night lineup, but where he is slotted remains a mystery.

ZACK KASSIAN

• Positives—Big, strong winger who can effectively retrieve pucks and is a very good passer. He is likely to be a value contract this season and I think the coach would prefer him in many cases as the 2RW option. Kassian was in town this week and is in good shape and ready to go.
  • Negatives—Speed is an issue for this player, although some of what we saw a year ago may have had to do with a late start to the season/conditioning. He was 15-13-28 per 82 games in Vancouver, and he played quite a big with good players. That point total is a little shy for a top 6F.

JESSE PULJUJARVI

• Positives—He has been compared to Mats Sundin in terms of style and presentation—and that is a helluva name drop. Big, fast, strong and skilled, it is very easy to get excited about this young man’s future. His skill set is unique to the established group in Edmonton, and the nature of his back story means the Oilers can send him to the Sm-Liiga, AHL or keep him in the NHL.
  • Negatives—He is a teenager about to attempt the step into the world’s best league—and that can impact development in a negative way. He is a player who will have growing pains, possibly making he and Nail Yakupov an ‘either—or’ option this season.

LEON DRAISAITL

• Positives—Leon on RW is effective for several reasons. He is money on the backhand, has the creativity to make plays, and has good chemistry with skill forwards.
  • Negatives—Draisaitl at center sets Edmonton’s depth chart up with more clarity. He is an inexperienced player and at this point is still a complementary player.

My RE series will be rolling out a bunch of wingers next week, and the number of players vying for playing time (top two RWs along with Jordan Eberle) will be a major subject on this blog next week.

OILERS IN A BOX

projected lineup july 17

TYSON BARRIE

The Tyson Barrie arbitration case goes/went today and a good guess will be a $5 million award and a two-year deal. I imagine Peter Chiarelli will be monitoring the situation closely. Edmonton would no doubt love to trade for him, it remains unclear what the Avs might want in return. I have mentioned several times in recent posts that Brandon Davidson, Benoit Pouliot and the 2017 first-round selection could be items in play (surely not all three, of course)—but Colorado would have other offers.

I suspect Barrie will be an Av this fall, meaning Edmonton will have to cast about the league in search of other possible solutions.

DEFENSE OPTIONS

1. Tyson Barrie, Colorado Avalanche. Rocky mountain high now extremely likely.
  2. Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg Jets. If he is in play, Oilers should be in there.
  3. James Wisniewski, Carolina Hurricanes. Looking more likely. PTO?
  4. Dan Boyle, New York Rangers. His numbers in NYC were solid. One more year?
  5. Ryan Murphy, Carolina Hurricanes. Some chaos, but good speed and puck-moving ability.
  6. Brandon Montour, Anaheim Ducks. This could be a special player.
  7. Ryan Pulock, New York Islanders. Big shot from the point has high value. Very young.
  8. Jakub Nakladal, Calgary Flames. Intriguing player.
  9. Ryan Sproul, Detroit Red Wings. Puck-moving defender in the AHL.
  10. Jordan Schmaultz, St. Louis Blues. Puck-moving prospect.
  11. Ville Pokka, Chicago Blackhawks. Young defender in the Chicago system.
  12. Dennis Wideman, Calgary Flames. Last chance Texaco.

CHIARELLI’S STAFF

One of the things this blog remains concerned about is Peter Chiarelli’s staff. If you drop by the Oilers management page, the names and faces staring back at you look similar to the last regime and the regime previous to that and the one before that one, too. If we are to believe the Edmonton Oilers, the forensic files found that the true culprits for the last decade were Dallas Eakins, Stu MacGregor, Morey Gare, Brad Davis, Kent Hawley, Billy Moores—and Tyler Dellow.

I am not buying it. Peter Chiarelli is the general manager of the Edmonton Oilers, an extremely difficult job with enormous pressure. I hope this blog has established over these years that we find no joy in watching people lose their jobs, but at the same time that linked management page is atrocious based on what has happened in the last decade. Mr. Chiarelli, consider tearing down that management page—for your own sake.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Friday edition, TSN1260 beginning at 10. Scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, Big Mouth Sports. Jays, Rio, Rogers Cup.
  • Don Landry, CFL.ca. Week 6 six underway, weak effort by the Eskimos defense.
  • Matt Iwanyk, TSN1260. Is it too early to look at changing out a coach over at Commonwealth? Plus the Oilers and Tyson Barrie.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter.

68 Responses to "RIDDLE, MEET MYSTERY"

1. npanciroli says:

I still think a deal can work around Nurse + for Trouba. Makes it easier on them for expansion and they can keep Byfuglien and Myers as their top 2 RHD.

npanciroli:

3. OilClog says:

Lumping any of the scouting staff in with Eakins the inventor of the wheel, is just a mean thing to do.

4. jbfuzz says:

Hey LT, does Mike Green get added to the list at some point given Detroit’s cap woes?

5. npanciroli says:

Lowetide: I would normally say if that deal was available, it would have happened by now. However, I think the Oilers are absolutely onboard with Nurse as a big part of the future. Suspect Davidson is more vulnerable to trade, which is incredible.

6. RJ2016 says:

If the Oilers had a 22-year RHD who tied for the lead in scoring In the AHL and could run a powerplay, what would it take for you to trade him?

But having said that, if Montour was eligible for the upcoming expansion draft, he’s the exact kind of player that I’d target if I was LV. If the Ducks were worried about losing him for nothing, do you think the asking price might come down a little?

7. Skeeziks says:

LT, I was very interested to see you draw a comparison between Jesse Puljujarvi and Mats Sundin. When I see the size, skating ability and play making ability of JP coupled with his defensive conscience I wonder if he is a candidate to be developed this year in the AHL as a centre.

The thought of having McDavid, RNH and JP as centres with Draisaitl as a winger/centre gives me chills when I think of the match up problems this would create much less the sheer skill available down the middle.

I would be very interested in your thoughts.

8. Skeeziks says:

RJ2016,

I fully agree that Montour should be a full blown target. Getting a talented D man early would appear to be the only way to get one other than by drafting.

Skeeziks:

I would be very interested in your thoughts.

10. JimmyV1965 says:

Please, please, please stop with talk of trading Davidson. I can’t envision a circumstance where we don’t totally get screwed trading the kid. I honestly wouldn’t trade him straight across for Barrie. I know it sounds ridiculous, but Davidson could be one of those guys who can play 28 min a game. While Barrie brings more offence, I’m sure he will never be that guy.

11. commonfan14 says:

Skeeziks,

You totally forgot that you can also trade Taylor Hall for one.

12. Bruce McCurdy says:

JimmyV1965:
    Please, please, please stop with talk of trading Davidson.I can’t envision a circumstance where we don’t totally get screwed trading the kid.I honestly wouldn’t trade him straight across for Barrie.I know it sounds ridiculous, but Davidson could be one of those guys who can play 28 min a game. While Barrie brings more offence, I’m sure he will never be that guy.

…for a quarter of the cap hit

13. Skeeziks says:

commonfan14,

Touche

14. bendelson says:

Bohologo: Sounds like it was a great night at Northlands. Fish Griwkowsky has kept most of the gonzo stripes from his Gateway days, which is great to see.

And yet it was unquestionably an amazing night at Rexall. Just fantastic. Woot! Woot!

15. GCW_69 says:

THE NHL IS NOT A DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE!!!!!

There is no way the plan should be for JP to be on the opening night roster, I don’t care how good the scouts THINK he is.

Prospects are all suspects at the NHL level, unless they are generational like McDavid. There is nothing wrong with make JP prove he can dominate at the AHL level before giving him a role on the Oilers. Nothing.

The Oilers drive me crazy with this shit. Seriously, can they error on the side of caution with a forward prospect for once.

16. rickithebear says:

You cannot give up assets fro a lost Expansion draft player.
    Years of control after 16-17 Season:
    fwd:
    Lucic NMC 6YR
    Draisatl RFA 5-8yr
    RNH 4yr
    Eberle 2yr

Sekera NMC 4yr
    Larsson 4yr
    tmac said he is his Vlasic
    Klefbom 6yr
    Defensively sound top 30 Off dman.
    Davidson 1yr + 1yr RFA 3 – 5yr
    Top 30 HSCA ; EVGA; PKGA D – very rare.

Talbot 2yr

Expansion Exempt:
    Mcdavid
    Pujujarvi
    Slepyshev
    Cagguila
    Nurse
    Betker

Bringing in Trouba Forces exposing
    1 of Larsson; Klefbom; Davidson

17. PaperKurtRussell says:

I had lunch with my buddy who’s a Bruins fan yesterday, and he really got me thinking. He said that the Oil should have traded Hall last summer for Hamilton. Hmm. Bruins would clearly be better off than the magic beans they got, and the Oil would have a guy with some offence from the back end. That is an interesting proposal after all the toing and froing that occurred after both of these trades. Thoughts?

18. theDjdj says:

Beautiful article by Bobby Ryan about his recently passed mother. A moving reminder of the sacrifice we never see so we can all enjoy watching the sport we love.

JimmyV1965:
    Please, please, please stop with talk of trading Davidson.

20. theDjdj says:

PaperKurtRussell,

I think Larsson is s stronger player. I don’t think we’ll have the full measure of how good he is until he’s settled into a role here.

It does bring into stark contrast how much of an overpay it was though. If the rate last draft was a middle round first and 2nd for Hamilton.

21. Klima's_Bucket says:

Here’s a quote from Arizona John Chayka for you to use LT.
    You could probably use it interchangeably with your Sutter quote you like to reference in terms of defending in the NHL.

“The philosophy is fairly simple. It’s when we don’t have the puck, recover the puck as quickly as possible. There are all kinds of different forms where you can gain possession of the puck, some of them are physical and some of them are non-physical, so I think you need a blend to have both. Once you get the puck back it’s to transition the puck. Defense isn’t about defending, it’s about getting the puck in the forwards’ hands and getting the puck moving into the offensive zone. It’s about transitioning. That’s the philosophy and that’s been the theme behind the moves that we’re making, let’s get players who can get pucks back and get pucks up to forwards in an efficient and effective manner.”

source:

22. rickithebear says:

npanciroli: Yeah I get that feeling as well. Nurse is still young but his first year gives me cause for concern.

Nurse 69gm 3 EVG 5 EVA 1 PPA 1SHA -13

first 21gm
    2 EVG 4 EVA 1 PPA +1

next 20 gm road trip mid dec to end of Janurary
    0 EVG 1 SHA -10

Last 28gm
    1 EVg 1 EVA -4
    An up and down season.

less skating the puck up. Boooo!

more defend the net and outlet pass. Sublime!

23. GCW_69 says:

bendelson: No Blow at High Dough, no New Orleans is Sinking, no Wheat Kings or Nautical Disaster…
    And yet it was unquestionably an amazing night at Rexall.Just fantastic.Woot!Woot!

New Orleans is Sinking is my favorite Hip song. Way, way, back in the day my fraternity hosted the Hip in the UofA students union building right after the release of Blow at High Dough as a single. Amazing how well they have done since.

24. dustrock says:

Yes usual old man complaint about legacy band shows: too much “new stuff, not enough classics”, especially considering the circumstances.

Was a strange and emotional show – it looked like Gord was living through the stages of grief in real time in front of Rexall. At the same time, there were moments where I thought he was taking the piss out of the whole situation.

Some of the close-ups on his face during certain moments were chilling, none more so than in Scared’s “it’s been a pleasure doing business with you”.

Even i teared up at that one, and I don’t usually feel human emotions.

25. ~ Hall of Shame ~ says:

PaperKurtRussell: (of course, the trade would have to have been with Boston last summer, because the thought of Hall in a Flames jersey would be very painful…)

Hate to break it to you but a Hall for Hamilton trade is still possible. 😉

26. bendelson says:

GCW_69,

Yeah, I was around the UofA in those days… good times.
    Nautical Disaster is a personal favourite of mine.

dustrock,

Not an old man complaint so much as a nod to the breadth of their catalogue. I thought the set from the new album was absolutely first rate.

Whoa. What a night.

27. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Klima’s_Bucket:

Here’s a quote from Arizona John Chayka for you to use LT.

source:

“Defense isn’t about defending,” is an alarming statement too.

– “But coach, I tried to retrieve the puck like you said by going for a big hit but I missed”

– “We’re trying to defend a 1 goal lead you idiot!”

– “I thought you said Defense isn’t about defending?”

– “Damn rookie GM”

28. rickithebear says:

theDjdj:
    PaperKurtRussell,

once again You have that MSM brain were you think that Dmen drive offence.

Were looking at the top 299 goal scorers
    272 forwards score 3040 goals 11.2G per top 9 Off forwrd
    27 Dmen score 212G 7.9 EVG per #1 off D.

I look at Defensive play from DEFENCEmen
    Larsson top 10 HSCA D
    #1 GA D
    top 325 forwards can outscore at alevel to be wild card competitive.

D. Hamilton:
    bottom 5 HSCA D
    Bottom 20 GA/60 D
    35 forwards can outscore at a level to be wild card competitive.

Which D is more playoff valuable?
    D that scores like a #10 forward and needs 3 – #1 forwards scoring to be playoff competitive
    or
    having D that allow the top 11 forwrds scoring on each team to be playoff competitive.

——————————————

Klowe after not having forwrds in the 90’s and early 2000’s.
    to chaing forwrds at the draft thinking they are the answer.

To realizing you build from the net out like they did in the 90’s

Net
    Defence
    Centers

————————————–

Hearing Tmac the HSCA system D coach.

Basically say
    “hold on you dumb shit media people.”

I do not want him chasing Offence.
    He is my new Vlasic.
    Defend the net
    Defend on PK
    and
    Get the forwards the puck!

PC; Tmac sound like
    Very, Very, Very
    and
    I mean Very Smart Men!

29. SwedishPoster says:

Lowetide: I think it was Red Line or Pronman who first mentioned Sundin, want to credit but do not have time to track it down. I think he could be a center, but do not know if it is wise to throw one more thing at him.

30. stevezie says:

bendelson: Nautical Disaster is a personal favourite of mine.

That’s because you are wise.

It got pretty smart and went pretty far.

31. kinger_OIL says:

GCW_69:
    THE NHL IS NOT A DEVELOPMENT LEAGUE!!!!!

Prospects are all suspects at the NHL level, unless they are generational like McDavid.There is nothing wrong with make JP prove he can dominate at the AHL level before giving him a role on the Oilers.Nothing.

– I’ve never heard anyone ever conclde:” well it’s a shame so and so was dominating in the AHL, before playing in the NHL: that time in the AHL clearly stunted their development.”

32. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: I see no reason to stop talking about it. Edmonton values Nurse more, that makes discussion fair game imo.

33. ~ Hall of Shame ~ says:

rickithebear: Defend the net
    Defend on PK
    and
    Get the forwards the puck!

Those things have value. It’s worthwhile finding undervalued guys who do these things. The first two we called shutdown. The last one is increasingly important in today’s game. The thing that was always valued and often overvalued with $$$$$ is points.

34. Centre of attention says:

SwedishPoster: I don’t know if you saw it for the first time then but I mentioned a while back some comments from Håkan Andersson on Puljujärvi where among other things he and another swedish expert compared him to Sundin and suggested he might be even better at center.

Maybe he ends up as that hybrid forward type McLellan loves. Not 100% a center but still takes faceoffs when they are on his strong side and Pulju has the advantage. Similar to Jumbo/Pavelski.

Interesting to think about for sure. I wouldn’t force it on him, though.

35. ~ Hall of Shame ~ says:

Centre of attention: How much do you wanna bet they protect Reinhart and leave Davidson exposed. Because Oilers.

A year ago Davidson was worth risking to go through waivers. Let’s see what improvements the new season brings for both of these young men.

36. ashley says:

It’s too early for what people are expecting from Drai. Maybe it works out that he turns into Kopitar or Thornton, but at this point, the similiarities are only in their body habitus and statistically speaking, Drai is much more likely to turn out to be an above average centreman than elite like Kopitar/Thornton. Kopitar would be a tail event at the far right of the curve. I’m hoping for that too, but we should be realistic.

Nuge is bonafide. He benefits from more time to show us, and show us he has. He is the most important part of this team after McDavid. I still can’t believe his name was out there in trade rumours, and I choose to believe that those rumours were not originating from Kingsway but rather from the other teams who were hoping to host an epic heist. Chia’s comments at the end of the season would support this. McClellan’s too.

I have information from a pro scout friend of ours we had dinner with last week, and I will share at another time when I have more time available to type, but it sounds like Hall was being shopped starting at the end of last season and up to the draft. At least one team asked for Nuge instead which is where things fell apart. McClellan’s post game rage on the East Coast trip was likely not aimed at Nuge as was so widely assumed by us, but rather Hall and Eberle. This is probably not news to anyone here and may have already been discussed in previous threads, but I’ve missed a few weeks.

I know we often talk of other players in this regard, but I think Hall may have been the most mishandled Oiler of all in the rebuild since 2010. He’s a unique talent and trying to shove clever hockey systems down his throat caps his talent. He didn’t fit McClellan’s system, and didn’t put in a sustained effort to execute it, probably because he knew he could do better…contribute more. They blame Hall, but I blame McClellan for lacking the creativity and flexibility to incorporate his unique style of play into his coaching system.

Found the quote

Red Line, although it probably stuck in my brains because you had mentioned it too

39. ~ Hall of Shame ~ says:

Lowetide: It is a worry for sure. I think he can put it to bed with a strong season and would bet on him to do it. Some danger in a potential Barrie deal now though imo.

They could both put in to bed with a strong season. That would be a nice problem to have.

40. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

All this talk of who we’re going to protect who we’re not won’t matter if Yakupov is still on the team after trade deadline. Vegas GM McPhee LOVES his Russians (drafted Semin, Ovie, Kuznetsov, Varlamov, Orlov amongst others) pretty sure we could work out a deal for him to take Yak off our hands instead of a defenseman.

Unless Yak magically finds his MOJO before that happens!

GCW_69: New Orleans is Sinking is my favorite Hip song.Way, way, back in the day my fraternity hosted the Hip in the UofA students union building right after the release of Blow at High Dough as a single.Amazing how well they have done since.

Are you a PHI?

42. JimmyV1965 says:

I think if we start the season with Davidson in the lineup he will quickly shoe his value and it will be apparent to anyone who watches. We just got to get there without giving him away.

43. Ducey says:

Kiltymcbagpipes: Sounds great but then he added Luke Schenn who is pretty much the opposite of that and who Sutter let walk for those reasons…

“Defense isn’t about defending,” is an alarming statement too.

Agreed. Defensemen and even forwards need to “defend.” If someone its trying to go to the net to screen the goalie you need to move him or cover him. If someone is coming in one on one, you need to defend. You need to block shots, pinch, break the cycle, etc. You need to play in the right spot on the ice as part of any system (right Yak?).

Its great to transition, but you need to get the puck first without the other team getting a scoring chance.

Its ironic that he doesn’t believe in defending when his coach is one of the most traptastic coaches in history.

Maybe that will change now that they have a few more weapons and wunderkid as a GM.

44. haters says:

I need to believe the management is smart enough to protect Davidson.

I need to believe they slow play Pulijarvi.

Id like to believe that this is Yaks final chance and if it isn’t working by game 10 then I also need to believe they wave him.

Trading Hall took balls. It was the right move though. You can tell in the interviews from players so far that even they see it was the right move.

I need to believe I have a team to cheer for and for once I think I actually do.

45. Centre of attention says:

JimmyV1965: I think if we start the season with Davidson in the lineup he will quickly shoe his value and it will be apparent to anyone who watches.We just got to get there without giving him away.

I mean they traded Petry after one of his best stretches of play as an Oiler.

I want to say I trust that the Oilers will make the right call with Reinhart vs Davidson, but its the f*cking Oilers we are talking about. The Fear™ has been hammered into my conscience by a decade of irrelevance.

46. Centre of attention says:

To be honest I would rather lose Davidson in a Barrie trade (at least you get Barrie) than lose him for nothing in an expansion draft, if it comes to that point.

47. Ducey says:

Centre of attention: I mean they trade Petry after one of his best stretches of play as an Oiler.

I want to say I trust that the Oilers will make the right call with Reinhart vs Davidson, but its the f*cking Oilers we are talking about. The Fear™ has been bread into me by a decade of irrelevance.

Further, there will likely be a flurry of trades before the expansion draft as teams try and get something useful for the guys they can’t protect.

Miles to go.

48. Centre of attention says:

Ducey: I am not sure what all the angst is about. The answer will likely be clear in 11 MONTHS!! from now. Davidson may regress. Reinhart may pass him. Reinhart may not progress at all. Yak might improve and be the guy who is the obvious choice for Vegas.

Miles to go.

Agreed, I just don’t like the idea of losing Davidson for nothing. I was being a bit extreme I have no problem admitting that 😛

I wouldn’t bet on the Oilers making the right call, is all I’m saying. Definitely other factors at play for sure though.

49. kinger_OIL says:

Miles to go.

– I agree! LT posters are funny: we were a 29th place team, and we worry about a guy who went through waivers, had a nice run of what 25 games and is currently injured.

– He’s not the piece that wins us a Cup, and who knows what happens in the next 12 months.

RJ2016:

The Ducks are in danger of losing a much more valuable defensemen than Montour in the expansion draft, so Montour is actually depth insurance there, since they are likely to lose a better defensemen.

Lindholm, Vatanen, Fowler, Bieksa, Manson…five D to protect before one gets to Montour…

Because of the numbers, one would have to pay a heavy price, not a sale price, for Montour.

Skeeziks:

I would be very interested in your thoughts.

So train the natural centre as a winger (on his offside) And train the natural winger as a centre. Makes perfect sense to me.

Geez…I think we should play McDavid at right D.

52. Johnny Larue says:

ashley,

I believe this to be true I was on the Oilers Now road trip to California and at that time the scuttle buck was that Taylor Hall was the one that was going to be traded and of course that is what turned out

PaperKurtRussell:
    I had lunch with my buddy who’s a Bruins fan yesterday, and he really got me thinking.He said that the Oil should have traded Hall last summer for Hamilton.Hmm. Bruins would clearly be better off than the magic beans they got, and the Oil would have a guy with some offence from the back end.That is an interesting proposal after all the toing and froing that occurred after both of these trades.Thoughts?

Larsson >> Hamilton. Because Larsson can play shutdown against top forwards. Hamilton can’t. Plus Larsson is on a far better contract…$1.5 million per season cheaper.

The Oilers need D who can actually defend far more than they need an offensive D.

Hope on D…and Hamilton would just be hope, is not a winning strategy. Hamilton is probably never going to be better than a #3. Larsson is strongly trending to a #2 already.

“Defense isn’t about defending,” is an alarming statement too.

– “We’re trying to defend a 1 goal lead you idiot!”

– “I thought you said Defense isn’t about defending?”

– “Damn rookie GM”

Arizona needed to guarantee they had a defensemen to expose in the expansion draft who met the threshold of games played that they were willing to lose.

That is the reason for the Schenn signing.

55. stevezie says:

godot10,

I like Hamilton’s future better than you do (he could defend in junior), but either way i think there’s an argument for mix to be made here.

I’m fine with Larsson over Hamilton because his contract is amazing, but Klef, Davidson, Fayne, and Sekera can all defend. Nurse and Reinhardt are prospects with a history of being able to defend and will make the NHL (or not) based on this ability.

They’re more important in general, but this team has a pronounced lack of defenceman who can score. Contract being equal, I take Hamilton over Larsson.

56. Skeeziks says:

godot10,

You sir are an arrogant ass. I asked a question to get feed back and you come across as a sarcastic “know everything” hockey guru.

Are people on this site becoming a little too full of themselves? If you are typical, the answer would have to be yes.

57. ohhell says:

Skeeziks,

The official answer is “some times”. 🙂 I thought the question was reasonable, the response was reasonable, but poor marks for presentation. Hang in there.

58. HT Joe says:

ohhell:
    Skeeziks,

The official answer is “some times”. 🙂I thought the question was reasonable, the response was reasonable, but poor marks for presentation. Hang in there.

Thumbs up for your comment… that should get this thread back on track so we can get back to bashing management and ownership. 🙂

59. rickithebear says:

Remember that Dmen 6.5% of goals from the top 300 scorers.

Pc (cup GM) and Tmac ( time Conf Coach) have made it Clear.

They want Dmen that can defend the net and get the puck to those that can score.
    The forwards.

Tey do not give a rat S…….. about dmen scoring unless it is a 3rd or 4th hase option on feed as they take a pass in the slot. the off side forward better eb covering for that D man.

they want top PKGA D.
    PKGA reduction has the same value as PPGF production.

1 PPG over avg
    is the same value as
    1 PKGA less than average.

If you get an even offence d in the top 30. without sacrificing Defence.
    then it is a home run.

High success rate shots require penetration of the HSCA zone which is counter to defensive coverage.

60. Surly says:

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 44s44 seconds ago
    #Oilers sign David Musil to a one-year contract. The d-man scored 14 pts in 67 games with the @Condors last season.

61. Chamucks says:

I think I read that Hakan Anderssen even said Puljujarvi could be a fit at center. Thank God we have Godot to dismiss that possibility outright though.

Skeeziks,

I’m not sure about “becoming”

63. jfry says:

I’m not sure about “becoming”

yeah, all in all, i thought that was one of godot’s less righteous replies. #justsayNoah … wait until he tries to tell us all we’re idiots for not drafting a dman (again) with the number one selection.

those are the really fun days!! 🙂

64. Drew says:

Bohologo:

I read this with tears streaming down my face. I couldn’t go to the show as I am away in Iceland, but strangely I feel that I was at the show anyway?

Decades of listening to the lyrics, the music, and being at other events cascade upon me. Memories of friends past and present flood over me. I see my own life at different points in time in a fast uncontrolled rush. Both pain and warmth, what is this?

Goodbye Gordie, you mattered to me, and I will carry you with me for the rest of my life. Goodbye.

65. Fog of Warts says:

kinger_OIL: – I’ve never heard anyone ever conclde:” well it’s a shame so and so was dominatingin the AHL, before playing in the NHL:that time in the AHL clearly stunted their development.”

Right: there’s never been a prospect that tops out as a dominating career minor-leaguer, who is nothing but underwhelming cups of coffee at the NHL level, because whatever skills he perfected at the AHL level simply don’t translate when the game speeds up another 10%

How easy reasoning becomes after one blots out an entire category of available negative evidence.

Must be nice.

The players most at risk from dominating by methods that don’t elevate are the kids with exceptional physical tools: Nurse, Drai, and now PJ.

Down at the A, every one of those guys could probably steam-roll somebody every third shift—probably some undersized skill guy misjudging elite athleticism—padding their stats all the while. Up at the NHL level, if you can steam-roll somebody once a game, you’re a force to be reckoned with. That’s of all 80 plays a season—if your body can handle it. What else pads your box-cars?

Then you have the guys who are left in the AHL an extra year, who step into a rut on the ice, tweak a knee just enough, and now never end up getting even one season’s worth of NHL paycheques.

Of course, none of the players are a little bit tense about this outcome, and few remember when it comes time to negotiate their next contract that time they did step into a rut playing in the AHL, and they did tweak a knee, and then agonized for four months over whether it would fully recover, only by the grace of Linus’s offerings to the Great Pumpkin, it finally did.

And if you happen to be a top prospect drafted by a bad team (an outcome so regular as to be almost freakish) you’re down there toiling away in the AHL with a half-tweaked knee, all the while knowing that guys with half your skill are in the line-up on the parent club collecting an NHL salary in full.

The breaking point on slow cooking seems to be this talent inversion. Your prospect will suck it up and pay their dues in long form without resentment, only so long as their NHL opportunity is blocked by actual superior NHL players.

What shitty team ever has eight wingers on the NHL bench more talented than P.J.?

And what do we ever learn as fans, ultimately, about the original burr under Petry’s saddle that subsequently shunts negotiations down mystery lane?

Here’s a press conference for you.

Petry: Well, we could have taken a bit of a homer discount and fit my contract into the team’s budget, but I was still pretty pissed about how I was handled on my previous contract, plus I wanted to play in actual playoff games, and there was no guarantee this management group was going to get us there, with so many of the incoming prospects already looking grumpy about being socked away in the A to prove themselves, while Cam Barker was given chance #17 on a fat stipend.

That would be a bit of a career-limiting press conference, now wouldn’t it?

———

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, especially when reasoning about a political fish bowl.

Find me this mythical prospect who arrives with superior physical tools, who contentedly slow-cooks for an extra year in the AHL—while some Cam Barker reclamation project blocks his path—who later happily re-ups on a homer discount, while the team in question remains not very good.

Here’s a hint. I wouldn’t start your search in Detroit.

Over and over again, goats on the management or coaching teams are identified, new guys step into the shit pile with superior bona fides, and then continue on with the majority of the same behaviours.

Management, like baseball, is mostly a game of inches. Sure, MacT let a few balls go right through his glove, bases loaded. Ouch. But the majority of his failings were probably being 18″ too far to the right to snag a hot line drive into the gap—calling four hours too late, offering $100 k more or less than he should have, or trading up to get a player who would already fall through.

I don’t now think, nor ever have, that his major failing was refusing to crack open Slow Cooking 101—available in armchairs everywhere, get yours soon.

I’m not actually advancing an opinion here about whether more slow cooking might be right for you, because what I actually believe is that this question is undecidable from the fan perspective.

Blessed is the fly on the wall during the contract negotiations with the prospects in question. Cursed as a pillar of salt is the armchair GM making arguments from the successful habits of already successful teams.

———

Lot’s wife, feeling her oats: Successful teams do X, therefore a bad team can become successful by also doing X.

Lot: You darn well better hope God didn’t hear that. He’s a royal PITA about correct inference at the best of times, and he’s still raw over Cam Barker.

God’s booming voice: I heard that.

The Lots in perfect unison: Eeeeak!

Either way, we suspect this marriage is now in real trouble.

66. The Hermit says:

Fog of Warts,

Thank you for that.

67. GCW_69 says:

Woodguy: Are you a PHI?

Yes, if you mean Phi Delta Theta. We went with Phi Delt as the short form in my day. Of course, in my day we had a liquor licence and threw crazy parties. Since it went dry, I don’t understand it anymore.