IT TAKES A VILLAGE (APPARENTLY)

The Edmonton Oilers front office officially reached village status today. The team added even more men to the struggle, while also announcing that Scott Howson has ‘moved on’ and that Tyler Dellow was not renewed. I will discuss both men in a moment, but let’s start with the additions:

• Keith Gretzky, Assistant GM. I imagine this means that Bill Scott, Rick Carrierre and others would come under his purview. Bob Green would also probably report to Gretzky, but that is me reading the tea leaves. The bigger question now is does this impact the role played by Craig MacTavish in the organization?
  • Bill Scott, Cap Manager. This is part of his previous role, with a bunch of responsibility skimmed off and sent Gretzky’s way. No idea if this cuts off his player assessment role or how it impacts his AHL role. It is a smaller job. Smaller job=losing influence. This is fact.
  • Kelly Buchberger, VP Player Development. This is the Mike Sillinger role.
  • Duane Sutter, VP of Player Personnel. This is a bump up the chart, and possibly reward for good deeds at the pro level (Kassian, Maroon, etc). Bigger job=gaining influence. This is fact.
  • Frank Jay, amateur scout. Insane resume via Ottawa and Montreal. His resume would include Jason Spezza and others going back to PCs days in Ottawa. This may indicate increased focus in Ontario, and I am in favor of it.
  • P.J. Fenton, amateur scout. Appears to be a new scout, he was playing in Europe the last several years. Perhaps he is an addition for those leagues.
  • Andre Brin, Manager of Hockey Communications and Research. Fascinating title, one of the best in recent memory. He has a very good reputation.
  • Shawn May, Manager of Hockey Communications and Media Relations. Self explanatory.
  • Justin Mahe, Manager of Hockey Analysis. I would guess (this is a guess) this would be providing coaches and management with ongoing established analytics updates—as opposed to pushing new innovations or uncovering new metrics. I could be wrong, but Dellow was working on another level before Edmonton hired him, imagine the stuff he was delivering by the end was cutting edge.
  • Source

OUTGOING

• Scott Howson. This was an easy call from afar, the Oilers don’t fire former Oilers.
  • Tyler Dellow. I believe the Oilers will regret this decision.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

• You are going to read a lot about Keith Gretzky’s uneven draft record, and that record will be used by some as a proxy for his role as AGM. I encourage you to read an article from Kirk Luedeke here, it offers an independent (from an Oilers pov) perspective on his track record. I would also suggest that his past draft record is in fact an important part of his resume—especially if Green answers to Gretzky.
  • I think Frank Jay would probably wield some power—I saw some faces at the Oilers draft table that appeared new, would love to know if he had already joined the band—and that power probably means more Ontario kids in the draft pipeline beginning next season.
  • Peter Chiarelli has changed his circle of influence in a fairly big way. Gretzky’s addition may mean less influence from MacT and Scott—and could mean less influence for Bob Green, although we do not know the exact chain of command at this time.
  • That Nikitin trade was quite the deal. It leveled everyone. Should have listened to Dellow.
  • Gretzky could endear himself to Oilers fans immediately by identifying a veteran RH defender and convincing PC to tear down the Leftorium.

I wanted Peter Chiarelli to put his mark on the front office, and today he did just that thing. You may or may not be interested in my opinion, but here goes:

• He hired someone he knows and trusts. It was predictable, people want to surround themselves with folks they value and trust. If you are surprised by this selection, I would love to know your reasons.
  • He hired a very respected scout in Jay and some other staff with exceptional resumes.
  • None of this matters if Chiarelli cannot build a winning roster, and the current depth chart has major holes.
  • It is August.

We wait.

73 Responses to "IT TAKES A VILLAGE (APPARENTLY)"

1. mujidog says:

BREAKING: National Hockey League team hires, fires, and shuffles its executive leadership team but – like the 29 other teams in the league and 1 expansion franchise on its way – it’s still a bunch of old white guys.

2. LadiesloveSmid says:

LT I believe you said on your show that people who have become jaded thanks to a decade of cheering for a team in the dumps, will find all the ways to hate the hiring. Think you’ll need to tell your friend Jonathan Willis to lighten up! Very negative on twitter and on the show for a month now it seems.

I would venture that the last 2 oiler drafts have been quality, he’s not going to come in and destroy that. I’ll see how this non-organization changing move changes things down the road

3. fifthcartel says:

I was curious to see how many positions Lowe/Buchberger/MacT/Howson have held in the Oilers organization, not counting playing days.

Kevin Lowe:

AHL Assistant Coach
    NHL Assistant Coach
    VP of Player Development
    Development Coach

Scott Howson:

Senior Vice-President of Player Development
    Senior Vice-President of Hockey Operations.
    Assistant to the General Manger
    Assistant General Manager
    AHL GM

This seems laughably bad. I don’t think any hockey team runs things like the Oilers do.

edit: whoops, forgot Howson (he’ll be back in 3 years, probably).

LadiesloveSmid:

5. LMHF#1 says:

It’d be really nice if someone in the know could break this all down. From the outside it just looks like they’re building a hockey bureaucracy that will allow for responsibility for failures to be spread out. On the face of it, there is just no need for this many people.

Still stuck with MacTavish and Buchberger…ugh.

Shouldn’t computers be doing a whole bunch of this now?

6. Melman says:

somewhat off topic, but hey it’s August. LT did you and Ms. Johansson have some kind of irreparable tiff? If so, I miss her too.

Melman:
    somewhat off topic, but hey it’s August.LT did you and Ms. Johansson have some kind of irreparable tiff? If so, I miss her too.

Haha. REs mean way fewer photos 🙂

8. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

We’ve been waiting for this for some time.

Now we wait.

And watch.

Intensely.

9. D says:

Nice to have a Gretz back in the Oilers fold. All kidding aside, if this is another year of basement hockey, clean everyone in management out please.

10. Centre of attention says:

I think the Oilers are going to make a splash at this deadline. I think they painfully eek out relevance until February where a major addition comes in and puts them over the top and into a playoff spot.

If the Ducks flounder the Oilers have a chance. By the way, do they even have Lindholm signed yet? Why isn’t the media running wild with that story? Quick, someone start an internet rumor just to stir the pot!

11. LadiesloveSmid says:

Lowetide: One of the things I will never do is to tell a guest what to say or think. Jon’s opinions are there for us to accept or reject, but they are worthwhile.

Did the oilers sign Gustavsson because they did no homework on goalie options or because goalies don’t want to sign where there are already 2 1-way deals? We don’t know for certain, and can’t relentlessly dump on them for what we believe from the outside.

Don’t mean to come across as a dink, sorry LT

12. franksterra says:

LadiesloveSmid,

Not sure I have the “bold moves” confidence to agree, but I do wonder if there isn’t too much pressure being put on balancing the roster for TC.

LT, what’s your take on the opportunities to do that before let’s say the trade deadline?

Edit: sorry the first part of my comment was for CoA, not Ladieslovin’Laddy 🙂

13. Barcs says:

So, just out of curiosity, do we know who is in charge of the day to day managing of the Condors? Would that be Gretzky now?

LadiesloveSmid: I can’t recall if he comments here anymore or not, he’s a smart guy and good guest my only issue is you can’t say one thing in the organization is for sure based on what we know. Generalizing based on years of being let down.

Don’t mean to come across as a dink, sorry LT

No worries, you didn’t come off as a dink (I may have in my response, though).

15. Centre of attention says:

Barcs:

16. DRFNsuperstar says:

Centre of attention: Buchberger / Rick Carrier I’m sure both have a say in the AHL affiliate. McLellan has a big hand in who gets called up / sent down too.

AGM is almost always GM of the farm club. Interesting to see if Scott gets that title removed. Development crew are usually “internal scouts” they go watch games and make reports on guys not playing for the farm club. My guess is Carrier watches a lot of Seattle and Portland games this year.

17. Centre of attention says:

DRFNsuperstar,

Oilers websites description on Buchberger includes “works closely with Bill Scott and Craig McTavish to oversee AHL and ECHL affiliates.”

Keith Gretzky is AGM and his description tells me nothing about his involvement in the AHL club. So just sayin it like I see it 🙂

18. Mr DeBakey says:

Lowetide: Jon’s opinions are there for us to accept or reject, but they are worthwhile.

C’mon, you can do better than that, they’re fuckin’ awesome.
    The best thing all week.

With the build-up you give his segment, it would be fun if you could run his voice through Voice Changing Sofware to give it a “short-wave” feel.
    No need to thank me for this useful advice.

Mr DeBakey: C’mon, you can do better than that, they’re fuckin’ awesome.
    The best thing all week.

No need to thank me for this useful advice.

Haha! I have thought of asking if he could talk like Clint Eastwood in the movie, but dont want to be pushy.

20. pts2pndr says:

mujidog:

One would think a management team of a hockey team and the information flow within it is highly networked, and not hierarchical.

The issue isn’t reporting lines. It is who has final call on various decisions.

It has been interesting to observe the “deformation” Chiarelli has caused in the oilogosphere elites this summer.

godot10:

It has been interesting to observethe “deformation” Chiarelli has caused in the oilogosphere elites this summer.

Meh. I think the idea that the oilogosphere responded as a single voice was always a misguided idea. The evaluation of analytics divided and conquered the oilogosphere many moons ago.

23. mujidog says:

pts2pndr: Anger and prejucice all wrapped into one! Bad day in your parents basement. My humble appologies, I hope life gets better for you soon!

No anger. No prejudice (at least none that I know of). Sorry if I offended.

Just stating the facts. The NHL is very white. And even more male. Most aren’t to blame. It’s just the way it is. More diversity would be nice though. The first step towards that, I think, is to recognize the current homogeneity.

mujidog: No anger. No prejudice (at least none that I know of). Sorry if I offended.

Hear hear. African American, First Nations, the world of hockey should be more representative of the players and public who play and enjoy the game.

25. dustrock says:

It sure seems like a bloated nepotistic haven of a bureaucracy, but I’m not sure how much staff is required.

Chiarelli is a former lawyer and you’d think he wouldn’t need someone in charge specifically of the salary cap but who knows.

26. Centre of attention says:

Oilers to infinity and beyond, entertainment wise

Mentioned this before, Chayka himself said he would be willing to move a piece.

They “challenged” Stone with a 1 year deal while Murphy got the big bucks. Is there an opportunity there? I think so. I would definitely target Stone though Murphy has some things as well.

27. DRFNsuperstar says:

Centre of attention:
    DRFNsuperstar,

Bakersfield website calls Scott General Manager of Bakersfield Condors.

28. Centre of attention says:

DRFNsuperstar: Bakersfield website calls Scott General Manager of Bakersfield Condors.

I think we have it surrounded then 🙂

29. Clay says:

I don’t think any of us feel comfortable about having the OBC still around, but I’m pretty sure Chiarelli has little-to-no say on whether those guys stay or go. For all we know, he wants them gone as much as we do, but it’s Katz’s call.

What he did do today was increase the pool of people whom he trusts and would rather listen to, bringing more voters to the table to potentially back his side over MacT and Lowe. Not a bad thing.

Clay:
    I don’t think any of us feel comfortable about having the OBC still around, but I’m pretty sure Chiarelli has little-to-no say on whether those guys stay or go.For all we know, he wants them gone as much as we do, but it’s Katz’s call.

What he did do today was increase the pool of people whom he trusts and would rather listen to, bringing more voters to the table to potentially back his side over MacT and Lowe.Not a bad thing.

Generally agree. I would feel better if the owner let the GM make the moves now.

31. Bank Shot says:

dustrock:

I dunno. I think it might be a normal amount.

Here is the Chicago Blackhawks list:

EDUARD ZANKAVETS
    PRO SCOUTS

RICK COMLEY PLAYER RECRUITMENT
    HUDSON CHODOS SCOUTING COORDINATOR
    ANDREW CONTIS HOCKEY ANALYTICS/VIDEO ANALYST
    LYLE GREGORY ASSISTANT, HOCKEY OPERATIONS

They have 26 names in their scouting department alone.

32. Centre of attention says:

Clay,

FWIW I don’t think MacT get’s his contract renewed next year. Or if he does, he will be kicked completely upstairs like Lowe, and become a Co-Chair. Him and Lowe can enjoy the golf greens and shake hands with executives while Chiarelli & Gretz do the real hockey work.

Just my 2 cents on the succession plan in place for the OBC.

godot10,

I’m really curious what you mean by this.

34. AsiaOil says:

I asked the question in the last post – is MacT still on his GM contract? If yes you might as well get some use out of him. He was a spectacular failure as GM in a bloated nepotistic tire-fire organization but he is a good hockey man at the appropriate level. If this is the last year of his contract then I can see him not being renewed next summer – but I think Chia sees some value in having him around for now.

Centre of attention:

Clay,

Just my 2 cents on the succession plan in place for the OBC.

35. Centre of attention says:

AsiaOil,

Last I heard (Stauffer on CHED) was that MacT had one year remaining on his contract. This was some time ago so perhaps there was an unannounced renewal.

36. Kosmic Burrito says:

Hey LT do you think Chiarelli is done for the summer? Besides maybe some PTO ‘s…I know that everyone wants to see that big name RHD PP QB get picked up. But I personally am fine with either giving the Wiz or even Gryba a shot with a fully healthy Oilers D + Larsson. I’m more interested in grabbing a competent 2 way 3C that can chip in 30+ points. So we can bump Drai up as our 2L RW and have Puljujarvi start in the AHL. I know that wouldn’t do Yak any justice as the 3L RW, but I don’t even know what to do with him at this point lolol…

37. pts2pndr says:

Lowetide: Hear hear.African American, First Nations, the world of hockey should be more representative of the players and public who play and enjoy the game.

I totally agree, my apologies to all if I offended anyone as well. Basic human rights should apply to all regardless of age color creed gendre or sexual orientation with no exceptions! Thanks LT for this forum, your insight and diplomacy in all things!

Kosmic Burrito:

They need a backup goalie, a RH D who can help the PP, a Pisani and yes another center would not be bad. Every year I say they are going to do something after Aug 1 and every year they do little or nothing.

I think they are nuts to stand pat.

39. AsiaOil says:

We all know the holes: 2nd pair RHD with some PP skill, veteran 3rd line RHC, a young goalie for development. I think we have plenty of RW but maybe not the right kind. We also know the areas of excess: young LHD. Trades will be made now when the price is reasonable as we are no where near as desperate to fill certain holes as we were a year ago or or even a month ago. Expansion draft is complicating things or I think we may have already done a LHD for RHD deal – but I think there may be more movement than usual at TC and trade deadline. Nurse with that expansion draft exemption is one hell of an asset this year – and I’d deal him for the right 2nd pair RHD. GR could also be a nice trade chip if he shows well this year. Perfect team not necessary on Sept 1 but signficant improvement is expected this year.

40. Lenny says:

Not sure if this has been posted yet but good article here, Chia explaining some of the moves.

In addition, Justin Mahe has been promoted to manager of hockey analysis as the Oilers restructure their analytics Department. He will work with Scott, Sean Draper and newly hired Andre Brin.

“We have a bit of think-tank going,” said Chiarelli. “I wouldn’t label one specific person to be in charge of that.”

The club did not renew former analytics consultant Tyler Dellow’s contract.

“Tyler is a smart individual. I just wanted to give it to our group, who have been with the Oilers for a long time, and see what they can do with it,” said Chiarelli. “I was impressed with what they had done throughout the year, and felt it was time to internalize it and let the group run with it.”

41. Centre of attention says:

Lenny,

From same article: “Scott Howson may return and do some special assignments for us if he doesn’t land anything else, but i think he will”

Gord help us. Let Scott find other work…

42. JDï™ says:

Lenny: Chia explaining some of the moves.

“I hired him in Boston five years ago because he has a tremendous work ethic,” said Chiarelli. “He’s what I like to call a grinder. He has strong opinions.

The Grate One?

43. AsiaOil says:

If SJS does not win the cup this year then I think there is a good chance that Burns ends up in EDM as a UFA or we swing a deal at the trade deadline. He’s getting older but a perfect fit for 2-3 years.

44. Centre of attention says:

AsiaOil:

I’ve said this exact thing more than once. I think the Oilers make a splash at the deadline, if not Burns than another impact D to put them over the top.

LT is right. This is make or break time. Peter needs to put some proof in this pudding, and if its not now its at the deadline for sure.

FWIW I would load up the entire turnip truck and throw in the truck as well for an opportunity to land Brent Burns.

45. Centre of attention says:

****Larsson Video Alert****

If you give this Larsson kid some rope in the offensive zone, he can make some plays. Larsson still has good offensive instincts (example above), no matter how much they tried to kill that part of him in New Jersey.

46. bobinyvr says:

Worth noting (https://www.capfriendly.com/cost_per_point/2016/season/all/all/all/costperpoints/desc):

Nikita Nikitin had a $4,500,000 Cost Per Point in 15/16 (11GP, 1A)

Nikitin was 2nd worst in the entire NHL

Bryan Bickell 3rd worst .. he had 2 points

Previous Oiler, Tom Gilbert 5th worst in NNL

Almost Oiler, David Clarkson 6th worst in NHL

12th worst in NHL is Oiler, Anton Slepyshev at $925,000 CPP

20th worst in NHL is Oiler, Griffin Reinhart at $863,333 CPP

Justin Schultz was 567th in the NHL at $216,667 CPP

Taylor Hall was 300th at $92,308 CPP (a very respectful number it turns out as a points producer)
    Sidney Crosby at $102,353, Alex Ovechkin at $134,345, Steven Stamkos at $117,188

Patrick Kane (most points in NHL 15/16) was 324th at $99,057

Artemi Panarin was best in NHL at $10,552 CPP

McDavid was 17th best at $$19,271

Leon Draisaitl was 16th best at $18,137

Uh, so … Nikitin was bad or perhaps unbelievably bad … Howson to blame???

Clarkson bad … MacT’s almost bold move???

Schultz bad … MacT’s almost Norris candidate???

Hall very good … but gone???

McDavid, Draisaitl excellent.

I would suggest that McD’s injury or Ebs’s or Klef’s or Poo’s was not the real reason for a 29th place finish last year. Rather it was personnel/procurement issues.

47. HiddenDarts says:

With all due respect to Ladieslovesmid, I think it’s important that we all remember that Willis is a writer. A writer in some pretty respected forums. So being negative should NEVER be a fear of his.

We are sitting here in August. Talking about how “winning” the Oilers will be this year.

We did this at this time last year.

And the year before.

And the year before that… and the…

So is it a bad bet as a pundit to not come out all rainbows and unicorns this year?

I don’t think so.

The only problem is that often, Willis has actual facts and stats to back up his opinions. That kind of bastard shouldn’t be allowed to speak! 🙂

48. Stelio Kontos says:

Centre of attention:
    ****Larsson Video Alert****

49. Centre of attention says:

Stelio Kontos: I agree. I think the Oilers are playing coy on how much offence he will bring. I am actually pretty happy with the top pair, so long as they are healthy.

He has the instincts to create offense that is for sure. Larsson was talked about as a power play quarter back and puck mover before coming over from Sweden, where in NJ they pretty much locked him in the highest room of the tallest tower.

50. stevezie says:

I think Howson negotiated some nice deals in his first Oiler go-round and while he had a mixed record in CBS he took over a team way behind the pack in a tough market. I don’t think he’s all bad, or even close.

But that Nitkinin signing had to get some one fired. Looked dumb the day it happened.

51. Kosmic Burrito says:

Yeah, I’m not satisfied with the “Monster” signing as our backup G. There was definitely some way sexier names out there. As for that 3C, it would be stellar if they were a RH shot. But I’m with you about them being nuts, if in fact this is it…oh, do you think that the Oilers will be stuck with Fayne for the duration of his ugly ass contract? Unless of course they buy him out or barring some sort of trade where they retain a major portion of his salary.

52. rickithebear says:

AHL Assistant Coach
    NHL Assistant Coach
    VP of Player Development
    Development Coach

Scott Howson:

Senior Vice-President of Player Development
    Senior Vice-President of Hockey Operations.
    Assistant to the General Manger
    Assistant General Manager
    AHL GM

edit: whoops, forgot Howson (he’ll be back in 3 years, probably).

Anyone on here who scoffs at Howson.

It tells me you did not look at the assets established by Doug maclean
    and
    Transactions completed by Howson.

I do not want your OPINION!

Opinion; Def: point of view not based on facts or knowledge!

53. rickithebear says:

quit dwelling on past limited options.

Nikitin Boo hoo.

he was the best 1st comp Hscad since Souray!

Do not give a fuck about his offence.

Pass the puck? yes
    defend the HSCA area? Yes.

Score like a #10 forward which is the the end all be all f winning a game?
    LMFAO!
    Who gives a fuck.
    Improve the defensive end of the game.

WG did!

most on here relive high school girls.

It aint that straight forward.

54. JDï™ says:

hey rot lobster – explain this for me:

55. Dominoiler says:

Middle of the night thread jack..

Anyone paying attention to Northlands begging for relevance?..

Wanting an outstanding 47M debt to the public ‘forgiven/forgotten’ so they can spend, by the numbers given, at least 207M on renovations.. how can they expect to make that kind of money back?.. so, fighting for relevance, is it better for t Northlands to go extinct or does it provide any communal good that justifies its existence?!..

I wonder what happens to a non profits bank account when it folds.. because it’s certainty not empty..

56. Cahoon says:

bobinyvr,

I don’t know if people remember but even with the MacD injury and the others before it, we were 3 points out of a playoff spot when Klefbom went down.

Klefbom’s health is vital to this team’s success.

57. Professor Q says:

And not just American, either!

58. frjohnk says:

rickithebear:
    quit dwelling on past limited options.

Nikitin Boo hoo.

he was the best 1st comp Hscad since Souray!

Do not give a fuck about his offence.

Pass the puck? yes
    defend the HSCA area? Yes.

Score like a #10 forward which is the the end all be all f winning a game?
    LMFAO!
    Who gives a fuck.the fact most on here did not understand that Nikitin did what was most important.
    Improve the defensive end of the game.

WG did!

most on here relive high school girls.

It aint that straight forward.

If you are using a metric that says that Nikitin was a good player.

Only got one question for ya.

Are you a double agent?

59. FTO says:

I was reading through the selections that Frank Jay’s teams have made in the past and his resume seems insane, not sure how much credit to give the guy but it is nice to see someone so seemingly qualified come in on the amateur side.

I have liked our recent drafts though, but improvement is never bad!

60. zatch says:

My fear with PC is he has no idea at all why Boston won that cup (largely on the back of an all-time goaltending performance). He’s like the Russian general in WWI who, short of artillery shells, preceded his attack with only a short bombardment as opposed to the world-wide standard week long barrage. This surprise attack shockingly worked for obvious tactical reasons, but the General never could comprehend why and went back to long barrages the second he had the shells to do so.

So he’s doing cargo-cult like actions. He’s trading the young high pick, he’s bringing in as many people who were around in Boston as possible, he signed mean ol’ Lucic. But he himself is clueless as to how to actually build a team. This isn’t Stan Bowman. He’s not clever or creative in the least. I worry that this team is being built to win one cup in 10 years and otherwise usually crash out in the second round.

61. slopitch says:

I’ll take 1 cup in 10 years

62. GCW_69 says:

Damn the Kelowna Rockets for picking Jason Smith over Buchberger as head coach this summer. How could they pass on a Stanley cup champion with all that NHL management experience?

Buchberger must bathe in Teflon every single day.

Let’s hope MacT fades away next year when his contract expires. Surely Benning needs a right hand man who knows how to make bold moves?

63. HT Joe says:

zatch:

A single first-round blowout in the preceding 10 years would have been an upgrade… 1 cup in 10 years is better than most teams achieve (most teams haven’t won the cup in the last 30 years).

64. GCW_69 says:

rickithebear: I do not want your OPINION!
    Opinion; Def: point of view not based on facts or knowledge!

That’s ridiculous. You twisted the definition.

It’s actually:

a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Note the not necessarily part. Opinion can also be based on fact and or knowledge.

If you don’t want opinion, why are you on a blog?

65. GCW_69 says:

slopitch:
    I’ll take 1 cup in 10 years

Me too.

66. russ99 says:

The only issue I have with the front office moves is this:

MacTavish’s contract was up this summer.

So why is he still here? Was his contract renewed, and if so, why, and why no reports of such?

Not thrilled that this was so conveniently swept under the rug.

67. calgaryoilbaron says:

It has always bothered me that, to my knowledge, there has never been an accessible, independent analysis of scouts. We don’t necessarily know which scout was specifically responsible for drafting each amateur or recommending a pro, but if we look at the draft records of teams while certain scouts were employed, that should give us some insight into their efficacy, right? I’d like to see some type of measure. For instance, the number of drafted players who play in the NHL for 10, 50 or 100+ games. That could be revealing. Can it be that difficult to track retrospectively and then add to it going forward?

Two seasons ago I sat behind a Canucks scout at a WHL game. We chatted for a bit during the intermission and I couldn’t believe what I saw or heard. I did some research afterwards and couldn’t believe the guy was still employed. There are many factors at play, but finding future NHL players in the WHL did not seem to be a measure for his success.

On Dellow: I have no doubt that he is a smart guy and I liked his independent insight prior to his employment with the Oilers, but . . . just because someone is smart, well-educated or highly credentialed does not guarantee a fit within an organization. Independent thinkers can struggle mightily in a team environment. I don’t think it’s safe to assume that “the stuff he was delivering by the end was cutting edge.” There are all kinds of other, equally plausible, scenarios.

68. Pechetr says:

mujidog,

How about best person for the job regardless of race, gender or sexual orientation?

69. Pechetr says:

russ99,

Howson being shown the door is progress no?

70. Fog of Warts says:

mujidog:
    Just stating the facts. The NHL is very white. And even more male.

No, you’re not “just” stating the facts. You’re stating the facts with a ready-made frame of reference implied by 1) the slender facts you selected, and, 2) taking no stance whatsoever on the context surrounding those facts, as if none were needed (given the facts you chose, a rather extreme presumption).

You do know that white skin is a biological adaptation to non-equatorial climates? Including climates with harsh winters, where one might expect winter sports to become established? (“No”, I hear you say, “hockey was invented in Kenya and stolen by white people”.)

Second, you are aware that the entirety of sport, dating back at least to the Greeks and the rest of classical antiquity, has historically been male dominated, and that participation of women in sport—especially the violent sports dominated by speed and power—is presently at an all-time historical high point; and that Canada has historically been a leading nation in this change (whenever a new sport opens up for women at the Olympics, the Canadian women often do well, until women in other countries catch up to our inherently open participation levels).

In fact, the Canadian and American women are so far ahead of the field that Olympic women’s hockey seems to hang in perpetual jeopardy, denigrated as having but a single game (the 99% predictable Canadian–American gold medal final) that means much of anything.

I once heard that curling was also in jeopardy, but then Canada sent expert curlers all over the world to coach curlers in other countries, and now we don’t walk away with the big prize nearly so often.

Winner: curling. Loser: un-Canadian Canadians, who regard gold medals as more important that fostering legitimate sport and competition. At this point, nobody sane watches women’s curling and thinks that these women are second-rate athletes. Well done, Canada (and Scotland and a few others).

Canadian postsecondary enrolments and graduates

Women accounted for 56.3% of total enrolments compared with 43.7% for men. These proportions have remained stable over the past decade.

Gallery The World’s Highest-Paid Male Models Of 2013

Coming in at No. 1 on our list is Sean O’Pry, a 24-year-old from Kennesaw, Ga., who we estimate earned $1.5 million during the 12-month period.

Gisele Bundchen pockets $44 million in one year ($430 million career earnings and counting—best of luck to Sean maintaining his good looks into his third century).

This is not going to flip around any time soon. Our preference for male aggression and female beauty goes back further that the human species itself. We’re not fighting a battle with misguided notions of human civilization dating back 2000 years, we’re fighting a battle with biological realities whose story goes back at least 50 million years.

Argument from box: nobody cares about women’s sports, so why bother?

That’s stupid.

Argument from follow your heart: Women are free to do anything their hearts desire, just don’t count on getting paid as much as the men get paid (same advice, mutatis mutandis, that I would give to an aspiring male model).

Or you going to somehow legislate equal pay? How? Women pay a lot for clothing modelled by Giselle. Men don’t pay nearly as much for clothing modelled by Sean (some dude modelled my boxers—ewwww—I can live with holes!).

And, wow, unlike any other sport on this planet, NHL offices are filled with people who played the game, people who are A) white, and B) male, both of which have reasons which easily predate the entirety of human civilization.

Recent African origin of modern humans

We are all Africans! As of a mere 50,000 years ago, by most accounts.

Here’s another thing. You’re a recent immigrant to Canada. Maybe you’ve got professional skills, but you still need to establish yourself here, financially. Do you enroll your son in A) soccer, which you grew up loving yourself, at the cost of a pair of shoes, a few tanks of gas, and several thousand freshly baked cookies; or B) hockey, which you like, but don’t comprehend at a deep level, at the expense of—praise be to Allah he doesn’t choose goalie—skates and sticks and more skates and more sticks, and rink fees, and gas (plus possibly a trade-in to a larger mini-van if he does choose goalie), and also those several thousand freshly baked cookies?

For the GM’s offices around the league, you’d expect the racial mix to reflect Canada circa 1960, though perhaps (wishfully) you’d like it to reflect the 1960s as if that generation were raised in the progressive culture of 2016.

We can do better. Well, we are doing better. Well well, maybe we could do better even faster. Right you are. Maybe holding up a ludicrous frame of reference (under the rubric of “just the facts” narrowly presented) will shame us into a good cause.

So then what’s my problem?

It’s not like a little bit of right-minded ludicrousness ever harmed anything, has it?—especially if you find this proposition so obvious that you’ve never actually given it the least thought.

Are Kids Racist?

In my experience as a developmental psychologist, White parents tend to fall into these two camps—those who recall in horror embarrassing incidents in which their children made racist comments to strangers or loved ones—and those who are certain their children are colorblind. In reality, our studies suggest neither portrayal is quite right. In fact, children are not blind to race.

Instead, like all of us, they notice differences, seeing that some people have darker or lighter skin or curlier or straighter hair than others. What’s more they notice that these features of people’s faces, hair, and bodies seem to mean something because in nearly all towns they predict (to a lesser or greater extent) the neighborhoods people live in, the places they shop, and the cars they drive. White children often learn very quickly, that simple questions or comments about these observations are shut down, stopped, and hushed with incredible velocity.

Children become aware that this topic must be important because unlike their other questions, these ones go unanswered and leave their parents with looks of worry.

Is complaining about the NHL being mostly white and mostly male helping our children to understand anything useful about the world?

No, almost certainly not.

Children aren’t nearly so dumb as to not see everything else.

No. Point to the old, white men visibly running many things (don’t skip FIFA or the IOC), and then explain that these men grew up in the 1960s, a very different time.

Jim Crow laws were state and local laws enforcing racial segregation in the Southern United States. Enacted after the Reconstruction period, these laws continued in force until 1965.

Next, point to Canadian women’s curling and hockey as evidence that the world does change.

Finally, explain that the NHL will always remain mostly white and mostly male even as it changes slowly (go Jujhar!), because (most) men don’t buy shit modelled by Sean.