WHERE THE OLD WORLD SHADOWS HANG HEAVY IN THE AIR

In the first look at Providence Bruins versus Bakersfield Condors, we found the Oilers cheating their entry-level forwards compared to the Bruins’ kids. Tonight, we look at the defensemen—looking for possible improvements Keith Gretzky might bring over from the eastern seaboard. All estimated time on ice numbers via Prospect-Stats, let me know any errors. Note: If your reaction is what does this have to do with Keith Gretzky, I will not argue. Still, interesting idea and let’s have a look.

CONDORS BLUE

BAKERSFIELD D TOI

• The Leftorium dominates the Condors landscape. Lordy that is a crazy column.
  • Only four of the 13 names above are outside entry-level contracts—and Pageau is an extra. Add to the NHL blue who were down for shorter periods (Nikitin, Fayne) and the entire roster is pretty much entry level.
  • Three offensive defensemen rank at the top of the list, suggesting (to me, anyway) that even strength TOI may have been shared somewhat equally. Important to remember these are estimated time on ice totals.
  • Unlike the forwards, the defensive minutes seem reasonable. Of course, all of these prospects are entry-level, so that isn’t offering much insight.
  • The number of players who appear to be variations of the same type—Griffin Reinhart, David Musil, Dillon Simpson, Darnell Nurse—is mind boggling and frustrating. Seriously, it is dumb to have this many of the same player type. I hate this.

BRUINS BLUE

BRUINS AHL DEFENSE

• There are 11 blue here, and seven are right handed.
  • The Bruins have a lot of players on this roster that could safely be called defense-first types.
  • Tommy Cross is 26, drafted in 2007 and played his first NHL games this past season. He is a second-round pick, meaning David Musil is lapping him.
  • Five of the top six TOI totals are not on entry-level deals. That seems too much to my eye, while I can also agree there are ebbs and flows to these things.
  • Colin Miller aside, there are no names that jump out at me. Chris Casto has some ability, but is 24 and his time is now.
  • Linus Arnesson did not deliver much offensively, but is well thought of in the organization. He will turn 22 in September, so has plenty of time. He is a defensive defender, I know some of you put little value on this type of player.
  • Frankie Simonelli signed an AHL deal with the Condors, so will help the lefty-righty.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

• The Oilers as an organization have some real balance issues with their AHL team.
  • They should play the entry-level forwards, the way they are playing the entry-level blue.
  • They should cull the Leftorium. Today.

45 Responses to "WHERE THE OLD WORLD SHADOWS HANG HEAVY IN THE AIR"

1. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: There are no names that really jump out at me.

I’ve been reading good things about Brandon Carlo, for what its worth.

Also, agree that its time for Peter to package up 2 or 3 players from the Leftorium and send them out for an NHL RHD. Seriously.

2. Centre of attention says:

Guy Flaming ‏@TPS_Guy 1m1 minute ago
    Hearing Brandon Wheat Kings head scout Wade Klippenstein has been hired by Colorado Avalanche. Another big loss for Brandon? @DuckMillard

3. Chachi says:

Speaking of AHL players on entry level deals (well sort of) it looks like Slip Slappy is Schlepping Slop in Montreal to get ready for the season:

CoreXcellence Inc.
    Aug 4
    CoreXcellence Inc. ‏@TeamCoreX
    6 weeks out @EdmontonOilers Anton Slepyshev getting ready
    AthleticTherapy✔️Nutrition✔️S&C✔️SpeedDevelopment✔️Vision

4. LadiesloveSmid says:

there is one team in the sport of hockey that promotes a 20YO defenceman from 15 minutes a night in the minors to the top pair in the majors in the matter of a dozen games

gross

5. Centre of attention says:

LadiesloveSmid:

gross

Shocking isn’t it? Everyone says the NHL is a copycat league.

Well, the Oilers need to start copying lol. But instead they think they are the smartest ones in the room so here we go again…

6. Eastern Oil says:

Chachi,

Slappy has my preemptive vote for the Brandon Davidson Breakout Season Award (2nd Annual). Seeing him eventually earn and lock down an NHL spot would be a blessing.

Great to see him working hard in the off season.

7. bendelson says:

Just wondering how such a ‘leftorium’ sneaks up on an organization…
    You’d think someone would have noticed – it doesn’t exactly happen overnight.
    Is the correct read that prior to Chiarelli, nobody in the organization thought a L/R balance was important – at all?

8. Evilas says:

I tried posting this yesterday morning, but it will fit very nicely on the post.

The D imbalance has been the most obvious issue with this team since Souray was exiled. It baffles me why we haven’t seen any movement on the blueline. It makes me question Chia’s competence. The Fraser add, is kind of like a burning flag to me, who in the hell is advising him anyway?

There has got to be some kind of deal brewing to move out 2 or 3 of these guys, right, RIGHT? This was the one area I was excited about finally seeing resolved after so many years of disappointment.

I want to have faith in PC, but my trust is starting to wane.

I had hoped to see some UFA signings to address the lack of RHD in the organization. I hope we see Wiz, but there needs to be much more….

I had thought this would be worthwhile:

Klef-Larsson, Sekera-Fayne Davy-Gryba & Rundblad as the PP specialist, but I don’t see that happening. I do hope to see a few vets coming in on PTO’s, but I don’t recall anyone being brought in to camp (other than that crazy Russian Dman who knocked out Eager in that no hit intra-squad game) or Tchakev in the last ten years…

As far as D I would like see brought in at the AHL level, I think these guys are the most intriguing youngish UFAs remaining:

Note- I really don’t care about their +-

Evilas: PC has added Bear, Marino, Berglund, Desharnais via the draft, and Larsson via trade. Not bad I would say for two summers. More required of course.

10. Klima's_Bucket says:

bendelson,

Approximately 2 out of 3 Dmen in the NHL are left handed.
    Therefore left handed Dmen are better than right handed.
    It’s science.

11. pocession charge says:

Evilas:

The D imbalance has been the most obvious issue with this team since Souray was exiled.It baffles me why we haven’t seen any movement on the blueline.It makes me question Chia’s competence.

There has got to be some kind of deal brewing to move out 2 or 3 of these guys, right, RIGHT?This was the one area I was excited about finally seeing resolved after so many years of disappointment.

I want to have faith in PC, but my trust is starting to wane.

I had hoped to see some UFA signings to address the lack of RHD in the organization.I hope we see Wiz, but there needs to be much more….

I’m not sure I follow your angst. There was a very thin crop of UFA defencemen this summer (Wiz is still available). Who would you have signed/overpaid for? And all these moves that you want Chia to make….how do you know what is available and who he has inquired about? Do you think that he has left all these deals on the table because he doesn’t want to improve the team?

12. Centre of attention says:

Gryba had a moonlight appearance too.

Peter specifically mentioned the Lefty/Righty thing as being important to them when he was discussing the Hall trade.

Heres what I think happens: They package up a few of these kids with their 2017 first round and grab an impact NHL right-shot defenseman at the deadline. Book it.

13. Centre of attention says:

DRAGON52:
    My nomination for the Brandon Davidson Breakout Season Award is Drake Caggiula.

I could see a situation where he spends significant time as the organizations 3rd line center. Not even kidding.

If that is the case, you better damn well hope he has a breakout season.

14. DRAGON52 says:

Centre of attention,

He will. Good Italian blood.

15. pocession charge says:

Centre of attention: Gryba had a moonlight appearance too.

I’ll take a guess: they hard target Brent Burns, who will sign with Edmonton if they appear to be competitive this season.

16. Centre of attention says:

pocession charge: I’ll take a guess:they hard target Brent Burns, who will sign with Edmonton if they appear to be competitive this season.

Burns will sign once he gets to enjoy the “McDavid Experience™” for an exciting if short playoff run. I think they get crushed in the first round but McDavid will transcend the natural plane of existence for at least 4 games. Eberle is a big game player too, those filthy dangles will be twice as entertaining when the goals actually matter 🙂 Also, it will give Eberle a big wake up call in regards to his defensive play.

Oh jeeze, here I am being all stupidly optimistic. *chugs rest of beverage*

17. Water Fire says:

So are the Oilers getting old weird Burns or the ghost of Burns past? Because old weird Burns got owned these last finals as did Thornton, when it mattered most.

I cannot look past vet ‘elite’ very highly paid stars underwhelming at the pinnacle of the whole thing, no specific injuries having surfaced. Really.

I want none of that with the Oiler players when they get there or they can go. To San Jose. Or St Louis. Or Vancouver.

Regular season only matters to get into the playoffs.

18. Klima's_Bucket says:

To those suggesting adding Burns at the trade deadline next year, what makes you think the defending Western Conference Champs will be sellers at that time?

They are bringing back virtually the same lineup into next season aside from Zubrus out for Boedker up front with Goldobin and Meier chomping at the bit.

On the backend, Polak is out for Schlemko with Mueller looking for more ice.

19. The Trade Guy says:

Water Fire:

Regular season only matters to get into the playoffs.

Yeah sounds cool. I’d like that.

20. pocession charge says:

Klima’s_Bucket:

They are bringing back virtually the same lineup into next season aside from Zubrus out for Boedkerup front with Goldobin and Meier chomping at the bit.

On the backend, Polak is out for Schlemko with Mueller looking for more ice.

I don’t think that they’ll move him at the deadline. But UFA next summer will almost certainly draw a lot of interest from around the league. I can see him re-signing in SJ if they have another great season. However, if they have a disappointing season (almost a certainty following a SC final appearance) then I could see him testing the FA market.

21. pocession charge says:

Water Fire:

Regular season only matters to get into the playoffs.

Jim Mora is laughing at you.

22. pocession charge says:

Centre of attention: IF, I’m saying IF we get Burns at the deadline, that means playoffs. Power play will be top 5 in the league. Not even exaggerating a single bit.

Burns will sign once he gets to enjoy the “McDavid Experience™” for an exciting if short playoff run. I think they get crushed in the first round but McDavid will transcend the natural plane of existence for at least 4 games. Eberle is a big game player too, those filthy dangles will be twice as entertaining when the goals actually matter Also, it will give Eberle a big wake up call in regards to his defensive play.

Oh jeeze, here I am being all stupidly optimistic. *chugs rest of beverage*

Yeah that big RH shot is perfect for McDavid on the power play. No fan could deny how tantalizing that would be. Plus his defence is still good and would make the Oilers defence corps one of the best in the league (I can’t even believe I just typed that). I imagine that some fans would complain about the type of contract that Burns would get, but I think those concerns are a bit overstated when you consider the impact he would make for the first four years. It seems that those contracts can be moved as the player ages and performance falls off in year 5-7.

bendelson:
    Just wondering how such a ‘leftorium’ sneaks up on an organization…
    You’d think someone would have noticed – it doesn’t exactly happen overnight.

HOLY COW WE HAVE A LOT OF LEFT HANDED DEFENSEMEN!

-The guy in charge for all of the 10 years out of the playoffs

24. pocession charge says:

Woodguy,

Can’t wait for those WoodMoney defence! Do you happen to have the Burns one completed by chance?

25. Chachi says:

DRAGON52:
    Centre of attention,

He will. Good Italian blood.

Indeed

26. Ryan says:

Evilas,

Omg that’s one awesome hockey name. Jerome Leduc.

Too bad Joel Edmundson also shoots right or they’d make one heck of a d pairing if we traded for him too.

pocession charge:
    Woodguy,

Can’t wait for those WoodMoney defence!Do you happen to have the Burns one completed by chance?

Well, since we did only forwards so for the better results are the defencemen.

Burns is what he is.

A high event Dman who can shoot well and gives up more than he creates 5v5 vs elite and kills it on the PP with his shot and Thornton feeding him the puck.

DFFRelComp vs Elite: -1.3%
    DFFRelComp vs Milddle -0.8%
    DFFRelComp vs. Gritensity 2%

I’ve been looking closely at him now for a year and that’s a pretty good representation of him.

The fact that he was a finalist for the Norris means that voters don’t really care about defending anymore and YET Karlsson wasn’t a finalist.

NHL awards voted by the MSM are pretty much as random as a moneky throwing darts in terms of actual results.

Anyhow Burns is 32 next spring and I’d be really careful of giving him money or term.

Hell, Lucic was 27 and people lost their shit, imagine if they sign Burns.

Also,

Here is a link to the data so you can look at this yourself: https://app.box.com/s/ejntfspdqetoscrmsvx7r5dgqjoc7jvf

Chiarelli and McLellan get an up close and personal look at Jacob Trouba at the World Cup. I wonder if they offer sheet him after the tournament if he is still unsigned.

29. OF17 says:

pocession charge: Yeah that big RH shot is perfect for McDavid on the power play.No fan could deny how tantalizing that would be. Plus his defence is still good and would make the Oilers defence corps one of the best in the league (I can’t even believe I just typed that).I imagine that some fans would complain about the type of contract that Burns would get, but I think those concerns are a bit overstated when you consider the impact he would make for the first four years.It seems that those contracts can be moved as the player ages and performance falls off in year 5-7.

2015: Chicago (out in 1), Tampa Bay (out in 3)
    2014: Los Angeles (no playoffs), New York (out in 3)
    2013: Chicago (out in 3), Boston (out in 2)
    2012: Los Angeles (out in 3), New Jersey (no playoffs)
    2011: Boston (out in 1), Vancouver (out in 1)
    2010: Chicago (out in 1), Philadelphia (out in 2)
    2009: Pittsburgh (out in 2), Detroit (out in 2)
    2008: Detroit (out in 4), Pittsburgh (Cup winners)
    2007: Anaheim (out in 1), Ottawa (out in 1)
    2006: Carolina (no playoffs), Edmonton (no playoffs)

So, with 20 data points, we have 1 Cup winner, 1 Cup finalist, 4 conference finalists, 4 conference semifinalists, 6 first round exits, and 4 playoff misses.

Of playoff teams, if we assume a simple 50/50 chance of winning a series, the distribution should be 8 1st round exits, 4 2nd round exits, 2 3rd round exits, 1 4th round exit, and 1 Cup winner. The Finalists did better than that, so we’re talking about above-average playoff teams here. Looking at year-to-year volatility in the league, expecting anything more than a moderately above-average playoff performance in any given year, even from elite teams, is a losing bet.

So if the Sharks make the playoffs, and given that 2/4 finalists that missed the following year had huge exits in Pronger and Parise that the Sharks didn’t have, that seems quite likely, they’re likely to perform as well as any elite team can reasonably expect – as an above-average playoff team.

30. pocession charge says:

OF17: I’m interested in your comment about the Sharks likely being a disappointment next season, so let’s see how that’s gone in recent years. I’ll list the finalists and then in parentheses where they ended up the following season.

2015: Chicago (out in 1), Tampa Bay (out in 3)
    2014: Los Angeles (no playoffs), New York (out in 3)
    2013: Chicago (out in 3), Boston (out in 2)
    2012: Los Angeles (out in 3), New Jersey (no playoffs)
    2011: Boston (out in 1), Vancouver (out in 1)
    2010: Chicago (out in 1), Philadelphia (out in 2)
    2009: Pittsburgh (out in 2), Detroit (out in 2)
    2008: Detroit (out in 4), Pittsburgh (Cup winners)
    2007: Anaheim (out in 1), Ottawa (out in 1)
    2006: Carolina (no playoffs), Edmonton (no playoffs)

So you are saying that a team has about a 10% chance of getting back to the Finals and a 5% chance of winning it all. Those are not very good odds. Expectations are raised by fans, players, and management after a trip to the Finals. I doubt that the first round exit teams classify their seasons as successful either. I would trust the odds and bet that SJ does not make the conference finals or Stanley Cup Finals next season, and as a result, feel that the season is ‘disappointing’.

31. Centre of attention says:

Woodguy: Well, since we did only forwards so for the better results are the defencemen.

Burns is what he is.

DFFRelComp vs Elite: -1.3%
    DFFRelComp vs Milddle -0.8%
    DFFRelComp vs. Gritensity 2%

Hell, Lucic was 27 and people lost their shit, imagine if they sign Burns.

Also,

I didn’t know that Burns was that bad defensively, thank you for that info.

I would hesitate to grab Burns for serious money and term now that I have that information. And lets face it, he is going to get serious money and term somewhere.

Blah. I just want that big sexy shot on the point. Let me have my cake, and eat it too damnit!

godot10:
    Chiarelli and McLellan get an up close and personal look at Jacob Trouba at the World Cup.I wonder if they offer sheet him after the tournament if he is still unsigned.

Offer sheets always make so much sense but they never end up happening. Lets hope that changes this summer.

32. stevezie says:

Woodguy: YET Karlsson wasn’t a finalist.

Yes he was

Woodguy: Thornton feeding him the puck.

Yeah. The “McDavid effect” is probably overstated as Burns is used to the other best passer of his generation. He’ll be more likely to chase a cup amd a coach than a set up man.

Which doesn’t mean we’re out.

33. OF17 says:

pocession charge: So you are saying that a team has about a 10% chance of getting back to the Finals and a 5% chance of winning it all.Those are not very good odds.Expectations are raised by fans, players, and management after a trip to the Finals. I doubt that the first round exit teams classify their seasons as successful either. I would trust the odds and bet that SJ does not make the conference finals or Stanley Cup Finals next season, and as a result, feel that the season is ‘disappointing’.

NHLers realize how tough it is to make the finals. Being on an above-average playoff team is about as good as you can get in terms of chances to win the Cup.

34. pocession charge says:

Burns is what he is.

DFFRelComp vs Elite: -1.3%
    DFFRelComp vs Milddle -0.8%
    DFFRelComp vs. Gritensity 2%

Hell, Lucic was 27 and people lost their shit, imagine if they sign Burns.

Also,

Thanks for the link and information. That is fantastic work that you are doing — much appreciated. His defensive numbers definitely give pause for thought. Is there any correlation between ‘hitters’ and an overall improvement or reduction in their WoodMoney numbers (or DFF)?

35. Yak Efron says:

With a population of 105,000 and a budget of $4.99, Tonga wins Gold at the Opening Ceremonies.

36. pocession charge says:

OF17: I’d argue that’s because of a non-useful definition of disappointing. 29 teams are disappointed each season. If that’s our definition, we’re not going to get anywhere, because literally every player in the league is extremely likely to be disappointed and thus leave in the offseason (extrapolating from your point about Burns).

Of course you can’t measure disappointment, which limits its usefulness in discussion. But it does exist as an emotion both individual and team based. And I don’t agree that 29 teams feel disappointed with their seasons. For example, if the Oilers make the playoffs next season but lose in round one, I would argue that the team would not be disappointed with their season. The same can be said for all non-playoff teams.

Whether or not a ‘disappointing’ season would play any role in Burns’ decision to re-sign is open to debate. He’ll likely stay in SJ if they give him what he is asking for — this is all blue-skying right now.

37. frjohnk says:

Quick question for the group.

Are there any sites that have advanced stats for players for the 05-06 and 06-07 seasons?

War on ice used to but they are off line.

Hockey analysis doesn’t
    Puckanalysis doesn’t
    Corsica doesn’t
    Behind the net doesn’t

Thanks

38. Centre of attention says:

Bob McKenzie is probably loaded and is most definitely singing karaoke on Twitter. This is amazing.

stevezie,

Woodguy: YET Karlsson wasn’t a finalist.

Yes he was

Damn.

Had it in my head that Weber was and Karlsson wasn’t.

Thanks for the correction.

pocession charge: Thanks for the link and information.That is fantastic work that you are doing — much appreciated.His defensive numbers definitely give pause for thought.Is there any correlation between ‘hitters’ and an overall improvement or reduction in their WoodMoney numbers (or DFF)?

No idea.

I’d wait until we integrated the Dmen ratings before running any correlations.

Centre of attention,

I didn’t know that Burns was that bad defensively, thank you for that info.

I don’t know if he’s “bad” defensively, I just don’t think he’s good defensively.

Here’s his DFF/60 RelComp and DFA/60 RelComp (RelComp means relative to the same level of comp when he’s off the ice)

DFF/60 Relcomp
    Elite: 2.6
    MIddle: 2
    Gritensity: 5.8

So more happens at the opposite end of the ice when he’s on the ice vs. all 3 bands. This is good.

DFA/60RelComp
    Elite: 4.6
    MIddle: 3.1
    Gritensity: 1.7

Unfortunately, more happens on his end of the ice vs all comps too and the only level where his For beats his against is vs Gritensity.

He’s going to be in decline the second that contract is signed and he’s not a guy who move the needle the right way enough 5v5 to start with.

That would be a bad signing.

42. Oilspill says:

Who do we send? Teams will want Klefbom. We’re not getting a right top four for a group of third pairing guys. Remember there are 50 contracts and those spaces are precious. We paid dearly for Larsson.

Centre of attention: I’ve been reading good things about Brandon Carlo, for what its worth.

43. Oilspill says:

They won’t! NHL management suppresses them. They are like an open bidding war for RFA players. Plus the compensation for top paid players is astronomical. They are best for fans who have fantasy hockey aspirations.

Centre of attention: I didn’t know that Burns was that bad defensively, thank you for that info.

44. Water Fire says:

Woodguy:
    Centre of attention,

I didn’t know that Burns was that bad defensively, thank you for that info.

DFF/60 Relcomp
    Elite:2.6
    MIddle: 2
    Gritensity: 5.8

DFA/60RelComp
    Elite:4.6
    MIddle: 3.1
    Gritensity:1.7

That would be a bad signing.

Far better off to overpay for Trouba than Burns.

45. Water Fire says:

I’ve had a gut full of ‘forwards playing D’ and harming the team more than they help.

My eyeballs saw some very weak games from Burns in the final. He had his flashy moments, but the Sharks leaders couldn’t get it done while the Pens could. The Sharks were no strong threat to win the series.

I think most people saw those teams as being more equal in strength than they were including me. It is a prime lesson in the importance of speed now but also playing a system that hits the right things down to a man. Oiler trained Schultz sure didn’t see much ice when it counted.

I can see why McL played Burns up front and perhaps why he left. I think the Sharks are done, that was Last Chance Texaco for the bearded ones in that town. Which is great news for Oiler fans.