A LITTLE MORE ON VINCENT DESHARNAIS

Normally, my back story post on a drafted prospect would come in July, but in all honesty information on Vincent Desharnais is not plentiful. When a new draft prospect has the online imprint of a man in witness protection, that is probably a tell. Still, we soldier on.

CURRENT PROSPECT RANKING

• No. 35 RD Vincent DeSharnais, Providence College (19, 1-1-2) (Hockey East). Destination 2016-17: Regular, Providence College. Steve Kournianos was on the Lowdown last week and gave me the impression Desharnais would have a tough time moving up the depth chart. Providence has a strong recruitment crop coming in, so we will see if this young man can increase playing time. This will be his sophomore campaign. Source

desharnais capture1

• Steve Kournianos (via the Lowdown): Very big, skates awkward but makes good first pass. Not physical, no way on the PP. Best thing he does is stand people up, use long stick to jar puck loose during board play. Doesn’t have Paigin’s shot/skill.
  • There is video evidence.
  • He is 6.06, 207 and an overage selection (turned 20 in May).
  • He is righthanded, from Laval, PQ but played in the BCJHL for the Chilliwack Chiefs.
  • NHLE is 82gp, 1-2-3, which is damned near impossible.
  • Mathieu Boulay of Le Journal de Montreal wrote an excellent piece on Desharnais, recommended reading. The young man has faced some disappointment in his hockey career but countered with good decisions. Very well written article.
  • Nicolas Landry of RDS wrote a similar article summer 2015. Also worthwhile.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

This is a late round selection we may never see at the pro level, but he is most certainly a Peter Chiarelli type player. Big strong, can get in lanes, interrupt progress and is a defense-first prospect. The right-handed giant can play NCAA for three more season before turning pro, which takes us close to the end of the decade before anyone has to make a decision.

Others in this series:

The complete list of prospects (in their ranking order) and projections for 2016-17 is available here.

27 Responses to "A LITTLE MORE ON VINCENT DESHARNAIS"

So after signing him, developing him for 4 year and trading him for a 4th, the Oilers drafted Marincin again.

Except this time he’s RH and they used 7th round pick instead of a 2nd.

Ok then.

2. Clay says:

Woodguy:

Except this time he’s RH and they used 7th round pick instead of a 2nd.

Ok then.

I was just going to say that it’s progress that the Oilers didn’t take him in the third round because the heard that Philly was really high on him.

The odds of this young man being Marincin are very low.

4. Mr DeBakey says:

Its hard to get worked up over a wasted 7th rounder

But they could’ve drafted that Goaler in the 7th,
    Hopefully drafted something useful in the Goaler’s spot
    And invited this young man to their summer development camp for the next few summers, no strings attached.

Seth Jones is having a nice period, although he did just give the puck away.

6. Klima's_Bucket says:

If by Seth you mean Caleb, you might be onto something….

7. OF17 says:

LT, do you speak French? The article links have me wondering. If so, hats off to you. It’s unfortunately rare out West.

OF17:

Oh no. Google translate, I am absolutely unable to speak French. Expos baseball tried, God knows.

9. JDï™ says:

Pretty good stream of the game for us cord cutters: http://www.streamendous.com/channel11.php

Better make sure uBlock is turned on though.

10. Soup Fascist says:

Taking this guy over David Quenville was unfortunate in my mind. Quenville will never be able to see over the neighbors fence, but the kid can move the puck and ALWAYS gets the point shot through.

He may not play in the NHL but I like his chances much much better than Deharnais.

At least it would have shown an effort to fill a need instead of drafting a guy simply because he is tall.

Christ.

The odds of this young man being Marincin are very low.

“his upper end is Marincin – like”

Fair?

Woodguy: “his upper end is Marincin – like”

Fair?

Yes. Similar player type. One good thing about Desharnais? He has one college season under his belt. Troy Hesketh never got there, and he was a third rounder (No. 71 overall).

Soup Fascist:

Christ.

14. Oilspill says:

Lowetide: I really liked Quenneville, too. Suspect Oil felt Berglund was the better prospect in that area.

Oilspill: Drafting outside of the first 15 is a CRAP shoot. It’s like rollin dice ..playing the currenT odds and projecting development. The brilliant fans who second guess the scouts decisions are comical.

Not quite certain what your comment has to do with mine, but carry on. Quenneville is a fine prospect.

16. "Steve Smith" says:

Lowetide: Not quite certain what your comment has to do with mine,

Oh, we know…now we know.

“Steve Smith”:
    Interesting links
    Besides are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay 🙂
    Pages

Contact

Haha. Awesome. NOW WE KNOW!

18. AsiaOil says:

That’s life WG. We had Davidson and Marincin – both waiver eligible for the first time. I’m convinced that because Marincin returned an asset he would have been lost to waivers for free. Same with Davidson. So we had to choose and selected (correctly) Davidson. Marincin’s return (Gryba) filled a hole if only temporarily. Gryba is still out there, and if he signs with us, that to me says the summer’s work is done. I’d be totally fine with Gryba on a 1 year deal as our #7 defenseman and Fayne as our 3RD who could move up to 2 RD for a while without being a disaster. Only issue I have is getting a 2RD with some PP ability which is a far cry from 14 months ago – and we have valuable assets (young LHD) to fill that hole when the right deal comes along. Patience……

If we are reduced to bitching about 7th round picks I’d consider that progress given the recent past 🙂

Woodguy:

Except this time he’s RH and they used 7th round pick instead of a 2nd.

Ok then.

19. Ribs says:

Oh man. I think the blog photo says it all. Lol.

I’ll root for him, just because I like singing des- des- desharnais… What the hell is that, anyway.

20. rickithebear says:

Now when i hear
    Big
    skates well
    #5-6 shutdown D.

I hear
    will be real good at what Dmen are suppose to do.
    reduce HSCA penetration and GA.
    Since D man have almost zero affect on the top2/3rds of goal production.

what they are saying is a likely #1 or #2 D in the game.

Cause offence does not fucking matter from Dmen.

D men who abandon HSCA to generate offence at below top 10 forward production are just 4th forwards who cost teams playoffs.

So i am really excited we got a Big mobile Dman who is good at defence.

21. Professor Q says:

rickithebear,

Offence doesn’t matter, he says…

HAH!

22. OilClog says:

When I hear
    Big
    Skates awkwardly
    1-2-3 NHLE

I think top 1-2 D in the league, natural succession for Fayne, then I continue chasing the white dragon

I’ll get chu!

23. OF17 says:

OilClog:
    When I hear
    Big
    Skates awkwardly
    1-2-3 NHLE

I’ll get chu!

7th round pick. That’s the time to listen to the voice at the back of your head that keeps bringing a name up despite a host of negatives. Even the supposed steals like Chase end up losing their luster at that point of the draft. Why not take a reach on a guy who could turn out big?

We usually point to smaller offensive types as potential home runs, but if Desharnais can become a big, physical, defensive RHD, that’s a valuable player. Taking a (distant) long shot to become Erik Gudbranson from the 7th round is a fine bet in my eyes.

AsiaOil:

Oh, I’m not bitching about the players, just trying to get a sense on the player.

I’m more bitching about selling Marincin for a 4th. 🙂

I think Green’s first two drafts have been excellent and I hope Gretzky’s involvement with amateur scouting is “let Bob do his thing”

25. magisterrex says:

The odds of this young man being Marincin are very low.

magisterrex: At this point in the after-trade discussion, the odds that Marincin being Marincin are also low.

What does this mean?

He progressed from HS/3rd pair to 1st pair in TOR in about 4 months just like he did in Edmonton.

He’s a legit NHL Dman who has now had 3 NHL coaches play him on their top pair.

That speaks a lot to the other Dmen on those teams, but to wave away his results is wrong.

27. magisterrex says:

Woodguy,

So now we have progressed to Marcinin is a 1st pair dman?

Let’s see how he does this season before we start grouping him in the premiere dman list