LAST CHANCE TEXACO

James Wisniewski signed a PTO with the Lightning today, meaning the Edmonton Oilers are just about to pull into the last chance Texaco. It has been a long summer.

DEFENSE OPTIONS (that remain)

1. Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg Jets. Expensive and compelling option. He would cost a major piece or more, but would be an outstanding addition this late in the game. What would Edmonton have to add to the 2017 first-round pick to get this done?
  2. Brandon Montour, Anaheim Ducks. This could be a special player. I like his even strength and power-play offense and he is young enough to cost very little. Anaheim has blue to the sky, maybe Chiarelli can pry him loose.
  3. Cody Franson, Buffalo Sabres. That hammer from the point would come in handy and he fits a real need. I don’t know about the cost, but would guess it would not be dear.
  4. Eric Gryba, Edmonton Oilers. I think management likes him. Do not see him signing unless Mark Fayne can be offloaded and Gryba does not address need in any way.
  5. Ryan Sproul, Detroit Red Wings. Puck-moving defender in the AHL. He is waiver eligible and a solid match for Edmonton’s needs.
  6. Dennis Wideman, Calgary Flames. A year removed from a fantastic offensive season.
  7. Dan Boyle, New York Rangers. Retiring, but if he has anything left I think he could help based on last year’s numbers.

DAN BOYLE 2015-16

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.58
  • 5×4 points per 60: 2.32
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 49.8
  • Qual Comp: Third pairing
  • Qual Team: Third pairing
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: 9.0
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 95 shots/10.5 percent
  • Boxcars: 74GP, 10-14-24
  • Information via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com, behindthenet.ca and hockey-reference.

50-MAN LIST

50-man

The Oilers have room, and a need. I can buy the idea that Wisniewski wanting a contract after missing an entire year is a concern (signing him to a one-year deal would not have been that risky, though). Peter Chiarelli would be extremely unwise to go through the entire 2016-17 season without adding another option. Maybe they will trade for Mark Streit. We wait.

84 Responses to "LAST CHANCE TEXACO"

1. fifthcartel says:

I saw the Wisniewski tweet from Mirtle and all I could think was, “God, the Oilers are dumb.”

2. Centre of attention says:

It would be silly to think that Wizniewski will automatically make the Lightning and sign there guaranteed.

If anything this is a pressure tactic by the Wizniewski camp to try and get the Oilers to pony up a contract.

Perhaps the Oilers have access to medical information that we do not, and decided another 32 year old with a bad knee is not a good idea.

I wont skewer Chiarelli for this one, too many unknowns. He could still end up in Oilers colors for all we know.

3. Doug McLachlan says:

I continue to believe, with growing impatience, that the Oilers are waiting for a shoe or two to drop before picking up another RHD.

Not sure where the system is gummed up but have to believe that the Lindholm/Trouba resolutions will spring some talent lose.

That said, Wisniewski can still be signed by the Oilers. PTO may give the Lightning the closest look but not an exclusive one. Given their cap situation (with Kucherov and Nesterov yet to sign) I don’t expect that Wisniewski is going to be with the Bolts when the puck drops in October.

Dan Boyle : Qual Comp: Top opposition

Via both Corsica.Hockey and BehindTheNet he played 3rd pairing.

He had 2nd pairing QoT.

Mis-type?

Woodguy:
    Dan Boyle : Qual Comp: Top opposition

Via both Corsica.Hockey and BehindTheNet he played 3rd pairing.

He had 2nd pairing QoT.

Mis-type?

This is interesting.

DET is $4.2MM over the cap, but Franzen on LTIR will clear up 3.9MM of that.

They still need to clear space.

That line up also only has 6 Dmen, so they need to add a body to the big team roster.

23 year old DMen Oulette and Sproul both have to clear waivers this year.

$6MM RH PP Man Green has 2 years left at $6MM.

I wonder if they’d take Fayne and a pick for Green? Fayne and Reinhart?

Works for both teams cap wise.

DET gets to put Sproul and Oulette on the big roster and gives them a bit of flexibility.

Fayne has 2 years left, as does Green.

For all the flack Green gets, he’s pretty ok, Not $6MM good, but good.

His WoodMoney DFFrelComp against Elite was +0.3% and exactly the same for Middle. Feasted on Gritensity.

Costs more than Fayne, but a big upgrade in talent and the PP solution for 2 years.

Lowetide: Nope. Looked it up, poured a drink, forgot to replace the previous info from a copy and paste. Le holidays are a drunkard’s dream I fear.

I get that entirely.

8. haboiler says:

After listening to Kassian on Gregor’s show yesterday I am not as concerned about the Wiz not signing here. Who knows maybe they tried and he wouldn’t come. A lot closers to cup in TB than here and a cheap D would help the TB salary cap situation. There has to be something else coming.

9. hunter1909 says:

Lowetide: Looked it up, poured a drink

As someone currently recovering from alcohol induced happiness, I’d like to warn you and other Lowetide readers on the dangers of alcohol. Not having alcohol can be dangerous.

Re defense:

They have to get another decent defenseman to add to their Klefbomb/Davidson injury prone collection lottery defense corpse.

Otherwise the team is a Klefbom boot away from a record 11 years out of the playoffs(plus Katz coming out of this like a fool).

10. Centre of attention says:

Woodguy,

I would do that deal for Green any day of the weak. The dude can shoot, and with McDavid setting him up double-digits in goals is almost a guarantee.

I think there is another shoe to drop, I don’t believe for one second that Peter Chiarelli is just sitting on his hands right now.

haboiler,

There has to be something else coming.

Pete sounded pretty comfortable with the D in his last avail after the Hall trade.

This is exceptional work on passing/goals by a new writer at NHL numbers:

Best dangerous shot passer for the Oilers last year? Hall

Best dangerous shot taker for the Oilers last year? Hall

Oh, but because 32094josdfgpahiq9pwyht021gohiorqpgiqerwqagwh09 its a good trade.

13. Chachi says:

Woodguy:
    haboiler,

There has to be something else coming.

14. Evilas says:

Woodguy,

I can see a move like this happening, but Chia is sort of tied to Reinhart and might not want to move him for a couple of years…

TB has 50 players signed and 2 RFA’s to ink. I beieve if there is a will, Chia could swoop in with a contract anytime.

Given the cost of Larsson, I can’t see a Trouba deal happening, I would bet Winnipeg would want the 2017 1st, Nurse and another player for him….

We should have a poll and see what the consensus move should be and also find out who from the Oil is a regular poster here, lol.

Chachi: Yeah, I think he stopped himself just short of telling the reporters there, “I am off to the lake, see you bitches in September!”

“This mustache doesn’t trim itself”

16. Centre of attention says:

Woodguy:
    haboiler,

There has to be something else coming.

“We would like to add someone who can help on the powerplay, who can push the puck up to the forwards. And we will continue to look at that.” -Peter Chiarelli

I don’t think its worth forcing a Nuge-for-Dumba move, and those are the kind of trades that are likely being offered right now.

To cry over Wizniewski signing a PTO in the middle of August when camp is still a month away is kind of silly if you ask me. The guy could sign anywhere if the Oilers really wanted to offer him a one-way one-year contract. Also, there is the shocking possibility that he simply didn’t want to go to Edmonton due to personal reasons.

17. Chachi says:

Woodguy:
    This is exceptional work on passing/goals by a new writer at NHL numbers:

Best dangerous shot passer for the Oilers last year? Hall

Best dangerous shot taker for the Oilers last year? Hall

18. haboiler says:

Woodguy,

I guess I’m hoping he was playing coy and underselling. But I’m probably wrong in my optimism.

Evilas,

I get that, but he was tied to Paul Mara as traded for him, then traded him away 8 months later.

Didn’t trade as much as for Mara as he did for Reinhart, but Pete can walk on water with the local media for adding Grintensity and he can explain this trade as “I traded for Reinhart in order to add NHL Dmen and this trade is just a continuation of that goal……”

20. Centre of attention says:

What I think Chiarelli was getting at, is that he is in no mood to force another trade for a defenseman. We all know what happened the last time Peter forced a trade.

Would he love to add a power play defenseman? Of course he would. But as both he and Todd said, those kind of things cost you dearly. And I don’t think the Oilers are in the position where they can pay dearly for something that could almost be considered a luxury at this point.

Perhaps once Anaheim figures out the Lindholm picture, they decide to move one of the younger D to secure a different type of asset.

I would much rather see Chiarelli bundle up some futures and prospects and grab a legit 3rd line center then have him massively overpay for another offensive specialist d-man. I have nightmares of Drake Cagguila taking D-zone face offs against Chicago in December. *shudder*

21. LadiesloveSmid says:

I don’t know that losing out on Wisniewski is a huge deal. I think in my head I can’t shake thinking that a 32YO coming off missing an entire season will have results like Ehrhoff did this past season.

Getting a PP Dman isn’t THAT important in my eyes, with Sekera/Klefbom/Davidson I think they could run a 4F PP on at least 1 if not 2 units and run just fine. Would like a RHD that could put up a bit of offence and transition the puck, maybe Klein, Murphy, Nakladal, Franson/Boyle

22. ~ Hall of Shame ~ says:

The refs around the league think he was offensive last year as well. Bruce will move beyond blue streaks to ultraviolet when the refs find DW here.

Chachi: That article was fascinating. Also had some of the ugliest charts I have ever seen.

Yup.

Sortable chart at the bottom is more fun.

Centre of attention,

Well shit, you’re giving yourself the whole season for the Oilers to add a Dman.

Why not say “this roulette wheel will hit red OR black”

25. hunter1909 says:

Woodguy: I guarantee there will be another addition to the defense during or right before the 2016-2017 season. “Book it!”

Yes, but everyone knows the Oilers never really make trades during the season. Management prefers to stand pat, count the season ticket receipts and lately there’s the new arena promotional materials that keep everyone talking.

Only fans care(once the season starts) about trades.

26. hunter1909 says:

Katz hopes to make the new arena a place where Hollywood stars come to enjoy real luxury.

Oh well. There’s always the Peterson’s from Rimbey.

27. Younger Oil says:

Is there an example of a player above 30 years old who missed an entire year with a leg injury, and came back the next year being an NHL caliber player?

If it was a shoulder/upper body injury, I would be more interested in him, but knee/leg injuries are the kiss of death for so, so many athletes, especially for older ones who are already slowing down.

Wisniewski should be a last resort, and to be honest there is a really good chance Oesterle would be more effective in the same role, in my opinion at least.

Very disappointed that Chia was unable to add another impact D this summer. Even if the cost was high, it would have brought the team to actual balance for the first time in the decade. Now I’m very worried that another year of McDavid’s ELC will be pissed away.

28. Klima's_Bucket says:

hunter1909: There’s always the Peterson’s from Rimbey.

You know the Rimbey Peterson’s.
    Small world.
    They’re great people.

29. square_wheels says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

hunter1909:

Oh well. There’s always the Peterson’s from Rimbey.

Small world x2 – my parents live in Rimbey

30. Stelio Kontos says:

Wiz doesn’t affect us. I think he’s a bet worth making, but even penciling him in as number seven at this point would be insane. If we agree the oilers need another RHD, then wiz was never the solution. A move would still have to be made if he signed here.

31. Richard S.S. says:

Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg Jets.
    If he costs more than a 2017 1st and one of Nurse, Reinhart, or maybe Davidson, it’s too much.

Brandon Montour, Anaheim Ducks.
    Might be a smaller right-hand version of Nurse, Reinhart, maybe Davidson.

Cody Franson, Buffalo Sabres.
    I don’t know enough about him for a good judgement of his value to the Oilers.

Eric Gryba, Edmonton Oilers
    Do we really need two Mark Faynes?

Ryan Sproul, Detroit Red Wings
    Another right-hand version of our Leftorium.

Dennis Wideman, Calgary Flames.
    In 13 seasons, only healthy in maybe 5 if them. Now he’s 33.

Dan Boyle, New York Rangers
    Yes, but does he have anything left, and will he stay healthy?

When I consider how the Adam Larsson trade came out of nowhere, do we really expect to know who Peter Chiarelli is acquiring now?

32. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Dan Boyle is washed up and Wisniewski is a liability. Are either two of them a better overall defenseman than Fayne capable of lasting the season? I don’t think so and I’m not a big fan of Fayne. Pretending we ‘lost’ out on Wiz is ridiculous clearly Chia doesnt see him as an upgrade…IMO of course.

Why are we still on this PP kick? Out of Sekera, Klef, Davy and Larsson I’m sure one of them will emerge. Do we want to bring in a lesser defenseman to help the PP but hurt us 5 on 5? Makes no sense.

If we were to acquire an upgrade to Fayne who can also play on the PP (like Barrie) then ok. But 32 yr old James Wisniewski or 100 yr old Boyle? Come on people let’s think this through.

33. Spoils says:

I spent some time with a Ranger fan this summer and the only thing he could talk about was how Dan Boyle just didn’t have it anymore.

34. Spoils says:

We need to go get a couple real prospects and hope one pans out. Potential #1s. Jake Morrissey out of the peg for example – former World Junior All Star… the fact is getting an old guy just leaves us a hole when we need it most. because our cupboards really don’t contain any potential #1Ds

35. LadiesloveSmid says:

Spoils,

that would be Josh Morrisey, Jake is his younger brother. I don’t know that he has a better shot at being a #1D than Nurse or even Reinhart really

36. Brad says:

Woodguy,

Not a good trade, but I believe you are viewing total numbers referring to Hall as the best here. Looks to me that both McDavid and Leon were better at both metrics by that sortable chart at the bottom.

37. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy:
    haboiler,

There has to be something else coming.

He also sounded pretty comfortable with the D when he was actively pursuing Barrie. If he could get a top 4 RHD for a reasonable price he would definitely pull the trigger. Unfortunately there is no such thing as a reasonable price for top 4 RHD

38. Klima's_Bucket says:

leadfarmer,

When was the last time that a top 4 RHD was dealt for a reasonable price?

39. Klima's_Bucket says:

G Money: “2 C and mud”

Besides Nuge who was the other C that wasn’t mud that season?

40. Kosmic Burrito says:

Honestly, give Oesterle a shot as our PP guy, and give him soft 3rd pairing minutes. Who knows, maybe he’ll have a Davidson-esque breakout campaign? It’s between him and Musil for that 7th spot, and I think Oesterle’s speed alone will win him that spot. The kid can wheel and deal, and sure his actual defensive skills are lacking. But hopefully he put in some hard work this summer, and took a course at the AL McInnis School of Slappers lol

41. LadiesloveSmid says:

G Money,

how does Mark Streit fare?

I believe he’s played some significant time at RD despite being a left shot

42. HT Joe says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    leadfarmer,

When was the last time that a top 4 RHD was dealt for a reasonable price?

I remember the last a top 4 RHD was practically given away…

43. Centre of attention says:

Richard S.S.:

Ryan Sproul, Detroit Red Wings
    Another right-hand version of our Leftorium.

1: Is it possible to have a right hand D fall in to the leftorium? Have we entered some sort of opposite world?

2: Bob Stauffer dropped the Larsson hint almost a week before. Starting with “what if there is a less known guy out there, who maybe has most of his value in his own zone…” Also, he has been talked about here at length in the past.

Woodguy:
    Centre of attention,

Why not say “this roulette wheel will hit red OR black”

Yeah, I admit I left a large window open. But I have been banging the “Oilers make a splash at the deadline” drum for awhile now. I know you are probably screaming “It needs to happen before an awful start to the season derails them” so I will preface the second part of my rebuttal with this:

I just feel like everything is in stasis right now and asking for movement in the middle of August when James Wizneiwski signing a PTO after a nasty injury is the biggest news there is, feels kind of silly. Some legitimate NHL players may loosen up later in the season, once teams get a feel for where they are and see whether or not they are buyers or sellers.

Now to another subject you brought up, Green. A lovely option for our defense, but another thing to consider is that the Oilers can’t really take on a lot of salary right now. Green is 6 million for 2 years, so better figure out how that works in your cap structure for 2017-2018 before you make that move now. As to your suggestion we move Mark Fayne in the deal, I will honestly say I don’t know what Detroits appetite for Mark Fayne is. If thats a possible deal, I do that 10/10 times but I will also say I don’t think its realistic at least if I was Detroits GM. In fact, if I’m Detroits GM I’m figuring out any other way BUT moving Green, as GM’s hate moving big name free agents they just signed. *edit* also, Green would leave a big offensive hole in their D-core, leaving them like us.

Why this ties into my first point, is that at the deadline the Oilers can move salary to cap basement teams because that’s the time when those kinds of deals happen. Then once you clear space, you go out chasing your big fish to make a push for the playoffs or at least a significant turn north.

Another thing to consider in their favor for a late season push with a big sexy deadline addition, is that they have a ridiculous amount of home games to finish the season. 13 of the last 18 games are at home to end the season. What better way to sell out standing room every night then grabbing a big name right before that glorious home stand? You will also be able to get a great feel for your new addition being able to have last change for 8 games in a row, a quick California trip, then another 4 game home stand.

Barring a last minute deal where we can send back significant Salary, I think this is the way they go. They could also STILL sign Wizniewski and this massive wall of text is for nothing.

I won’t blame you if your response to this is much shorter, lol.

44. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

I have no idea if Columbus would even consider it but 2 months ago I suggested David Savard would look great with Sekera and could play PP too if needed. Looking at their roster they still have a few needs. You never know….

45. Klima's_Bucket says:

G Money: My Oilerdom-tortured brain has blocked the details of that season it appears.

Just that season?
    Mine’s trying to block the details of the last several seasons.

46. stevezie says:

Kiltymcbagpipes: Why are we still on this PP kick? Out of Sekera, Klef, Davy and Larsson I’m sure one of them will emerge.

Plus this team has room for a third pairing pp specialist.

47. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

stevezie: I’ll answer the first sentence by disagreeing with the second. Those are all fine defenceman and maybe one will make a leap, but it’s not a good idea to bet on someone doing something they’ve never done before.

Plus this team has room for a third pairing pp specialist.

Better than betting on a 32 yr old coming off a 5 minute season or a 40 yr old no?

48. Hockey Project says:

Klima’s_Bucket: Besides Nuge who was the other C that wasn’t mud that season?

49. leadfarmer says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    leadfarmer,

When was the last time that a top 4 RHD was dealt for a reasonable price?

Demers with a 3rd for Dillon
    Leddy for a bunch of dudes
    And as mentioned above Petry for bag of pucks

Although the prices went through the roof in the last year or so

50. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Woodguy:

This is interesting.

DET is $4.2MM over the cap, but Franzen on LTIR will clear up 3.9MM of that.

They still need to clear space.

23 year old DMen Oulette and Sproul both have to clear waivers this year.

$6MM RH PP Man Green has 2 years left at $6MM.

I wonder if they’d take Fayne and a pick for Green?Fayne and Reinhart?

Works for both teams cap wise.

Fayne has 2 years left, as does Green.

For all the flack Green gets, he’s pretty ok, Not $6MM good, but good.

His WoodMoney DFFrelComp against Elite was +0.3% and exactly the same for Middle.Feasted on Gritensity.

Zetterberg, Larkin, Tatar, Nielsen, Abdelkader, Nyquist, Helm, Sheahan, Miller, Ott, Vanek, Glendenning, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, (Franzen)

Why they signed Vanek baffles me……

51. Klima's_Bucket says:

Kiltymcbagpipes,

Pulkkinen has a right shot hammer.
    If you can’t get a D to hammer pucks on the PP, just get a forward like him to do it.

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Kiltymcbagpipes,

Pulkkinen has a right shot hammer.

And that COULD be Puljujarvi but one hopes they don’t pressure him into it.

53. Klima's_Bucket says:

“Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things.”

54. LadiesloveSmid says:

G Money,

I believe Streit was playing some tougher comp with N Schultz. 0.9 5v5 P/60, 50.9% CF away from Nultz this past season. I’ve got time for him

55. LadiesloveSmid says:

@NEWS1130Sports

#WHLGiants forward Thomas Foster will attend the Edmonton Oilers training camp

56. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: And that COULD be Puljujarvi but one hopes they don’t pressure him into it.

You keep on hoping LT. 🙂

You do cover the Oilers don’t you? I think you know how this story goes haha. Same deal with Cagguila most likely. Reinhart gets the short end of the stick…for now.

And to add to my previous massive wall of text: I am with everyone who wants to have another addition before the season starts. I really want them to get off to a fantastic start. I was just detailing why that may not happen, not saying I don’t want it to happen.

57. stevezie says:

Kiltymcbagpipes,

Why not both? (I agree Boyle is done, but 32 ain’t so old…)

LadiesloveSmid:
    @NEWS1130Sports

#WHLGiants forward Thomas Foster will attend the Edmonton Oilers training camp

Good player, he has had injury issues. Speed and skill.

Brad:
    Woodguy,

Yup, figured that out later.

Kiltymcbagpipes: Detroit is weak at defense so unlikely to trade a dman. They do have like 16 or 17 forwards though so if you like any of the following maybe you can get one:

Zetterberg, Larkin, Tatar, Nielsen, Abdelkader, Nyquist, Helm, Sheahan, Miller, Ott, Vanek, Glendenning, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Anathanasiou, Bertuzzi, (Franzen)

Why they signed Vanek baffles me……

Both Sproul and Oulette are not waiver eligible this fall.

Neither will pass through waivers.

Unless they decide to carry 8 Dmen, they will move a Dman to make room (or trade one of Sproul or Oulette)

They are also over the cap and *might* move Green for the right price.

Hockey Project: Probably not the greatest first post to make on here, but I believe the other guy Eakins meant was Boyd Gordon.

Being correct is never a bad first post.

Welcome.

62. Water Fire says:

leadfarmer: Brent Burns and a 2nd rounder for Setoguchi, Coyle, and a first is a very good price
    Demers with a 3rd for Dillon
    Leddy for a bunch of dudes
    And as mentioned above Petry for bag of pucks

Although the prices went through the roof in the last year or so

Courtesy Peter Chiarelli. A lot of major talent has moved at less than the OIlers paid for Reinhart.

Until the team gets solid I will put my money on it continuing. Only a good season will change drives and perceptions.

I can understand why Chia wants to sit on his hands to see the fallout if no fair deal sits out there for him.

Woodguy: Both Sproul and Oulette are not waiver eligible this fall.

My understanding is that both men are waiver eligible this fall.

64. LMHF#1 says:

This is why I get annoyed when they give money to Mark Fraser and David Musil.

Offer a guy like Wiz a mil or two. Big effing deal if he can’t hack it. At least he would have a shot at making an impact.

It makes sense for Wiz to go for a PTO with an eastern conference team that is also a good team. The east gives him more exposure and a good team gives him a better chance of looking good.

Tampa is a good choice for him, because Yzerman has cap problems, and might look to trade Garrison to create room for signing Kucherov and Nesterov. Wiz would then be a cheap vet to replace Garrison.

McLellan is not going to be in camp early and the Oilers are a bad team out in the hinterland. Not the best spot for Wiz for a PTO. True, Cooper is also not going to be in camp early, but Tampa is a good team, and Rick Bowness is an extremely well regarded assistant coach who would be running the camp.

I think Chiarelli is waiting to see what happens after Lindholm signs with Anaheim. Somebody is moving out of there…probably Fowler, and that will knock over a few dominoes.

And Chiarelli and McLellan get a close up look at Trouba at the World Cup. They might offer sheet or trade for him if they like what they see.

66. Centre of attention says:

godot10:
    It makes sense for Wiz to go for a PTO with an eastern conference team that is also a good team.The east gives him more exposure and a good team gives him a better chance of looking good.

Tampa is a good choice for him, because Yzerman has cap problems, and might look to trade Garrison to create room for signing Kucherov and Nesterov.Wiz would then be a cheap vet to replace Garrison.

McLellan is not going to be in camp early and the Oilers are a bad team out in the hinterland.Not the best spot for Wiz for a PTO.True, Cooper is also not going to be in camp early, but Tampa is a good team, and Rick Bowness is an extremely well regarded assistant coach who would be running the camp.

I think Chiarelli is waiting to see what happens after Lindholm signs with Anaheim.Somebody is moving out of there…probably Fowler, and that will knock over a few dominoes.

And Chiarelli and McLellan get a close up look at Trouba at the World Cup.They might offer sheet or trade for him if they like what they see.

Solid points all around. Definitely another shoe to drop.

67. tcho says:

Seeing as rhd are far less plentiful, I’m wondering why the Oilers don’t sign Gryba (or similar 3rd pair), and then try to work a trade/signing for an offensive lhd .

68. Frank the dog says:

square_wheels:
    Klima’s_Bucket,

Small world x2 – my parents live in Rimbey

My daughter played a basketball tournament there.

69. theres oil in virginia says:

signing him to a one-year deal would not have been that risky, though

Need someone to keep Ference company.

He has never played a full season. The guy couldn’t even make it through the lockout-shortened season.

70. BONE207 says:

LT…great posts lately.

It must be the subliminal messages on your blog. Lots of acrimonious assaults, sand kicking and meetings out by the bike racks.

My money in on black, as in like Pete’s moustache, that he picks up a D man by training camp. There is just no need to risk another season with a possible record setting man hours lost column.

I love this rambunctious August intensity everyone. Just getting warmed up for a real intense September when hockey starts.

71. Clay says:

I agree that there has to be more to come, the defence is not good enough and I’m sure Chia knows it.

What we’re not used to is the GM slow-playing the verbal. Chia is not MacT – he is not going to respond to the “are you finished” question with “hell no, we still have a big need on the right-hand side”.

That said, the only way they add a player that they’d have to protect next year is if the deal was too good to pass up. I like the Green trade idea, but he’d bump Davidson down to the unprotected list, unless they don’t protect Green, and then they’re spending good assets on a 1 year rental.

I think the play is to get a stop-gap (Wiz would’ve been ideal), or a youngster that is exempt from the expansion draft.

72. Evilas says:

godot10,

I’ve seen this comment a few times on this site, but if Trouba doesn’t have a contract he won’t be playing…….

73. JDï™ says:

Evilas:
    godot10,

Gary Lawless disagrees:

74. JDï™ says:

McDavid and Gagner from a skills camp in 2011.

75. OF17 says:

I think there’s a way for us all to express our opinions without hostility and to not compound hostility when it is presented to us. We’re all here to talk hockey, and its no coincidence that the interesting hockey talk goes out the window once the name calling and chest beating begins.

76. Yeti says:

Centre of attention: I chuckled reading this. It really has spiraled downwards since the Hall trade hasn’t it?

77. frjohnk says:

Not sure if it has been posted before, but Corsica hockey has added scoring chances, and goaltender stats which group the shots coming from the low, medium and high danger areas like war on ice. Also GSAA: Goals Saved Above Average; Goals allowed below the expectation based on shot danger faced)

Just a quick peak and Talbot had a GSAA of -1.95, which placed him 61st.

In 36 games in 14-15, Talbot had a GSAA of 13.68, which placed him 10th overall.

The beginning of last year sunk Talbots numbers and he rebounded somewhat after “the dip”. If he can post numbers not unlike he did in 14-15, Oilers will see a decent improvement in the standings.

Gustavsson had a GSAA of -5.53 last year.

78. Skeeziks says:

I like the idea of Chiarelli acquiring an up and coming young D man that has talent on the PP. From your list above, Brandon Montour looks like a very good option. He ranks highly in AHL PP for and should not cost a fortune.

With the current cap situation in Anaheim he may be available for a decent price and could help balance the D man roster. If he does not bloom until next year that is OK. I like that Chiarelli seems to be taking the long view with respect to this team. It is very refreshing after 10 years of incompetent band aid solutions. Furthermore, he would be expansion draft exempt.

79. russ99 says:

Looks like Chiarelli is going to continue the fine Oilers tradition of MacT and Tambellini of being too in love with your own prospects, and passing on cheap veteran help that could come in handy when injury inevitably strikes.

80. Klima's_Bucket says:

G Money: Man, I just happened to pull the numbers on Doughty for something unrelated. 82 games, 51 pts. CF of 58%. 28 minutes a game on average.
    Jeebuz. I just don’t get the peanut gallery of folks out there who don’t think he’s a legit 1D (yes, there really are people out there who don’t think Doughty is a legit 1D).

Yeah, but he gets to play on a good team with exceptional players that pull his numbers up for 28 minutes a night….

81. IceDragoon says:

Yeti: Nothing like that Hall trade to sour the collective drinking pool. And so the monkeys prod the lion, and then the lion roars and the monkeys cry foul while secretly relishing what they’ve achieved. The lion wonders why he got so upset at the monkeys and figures he best get some more damn sleep. The wise orang-utan wonders about enforcing that holiday break after all, while the zebras, gazelles and other herd animals all sue for peace. And, just when things seem to be calming, the Hunter shows up and all but the foolish run for cover.

I love you, Yeti.

IceDragoon: I love you, Yeti.

I love you, Ice Dragoon. 🙂

83. IceDragoon says:

Lowetide: I love you, Ice Dragoon.

Ditto

84. Oilspill says:

tcho:

In sure he has a price tag and the discounts will be less aND less as more UFA s sign. Smart on his part not to panic. He’s proved himself as a decent 3rd pairing guy. Even +_ on a shitty team. My guess is he won’t be around long. There are some teams with weak aPK that need improvement.