RE 16-17 BRANDON DAVIDSON: WHAT THE HELL I GOT

I don’t know what the hell they’ve got, but whatever it is, it’s an awful lot. Brandon Davidson is too good to be true, and despite a slow development, he arrived just in time. He appears to be payment for all those second-round picks wasted on the way. (What the Hell I Got)

BRANDON DAVIDSON 15-16

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.54 (2nd among regular D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 5.41 (1st among D, two points in 22 minutes)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 52.0
  • Qual Comp: 4th toughest among D (second pairing)
  • Qual Team: 6th best available among D (third pairing)
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: 7.5
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 63 shots/6.3%
  • Boxcars: 51gp, 4-7-11 .216
  • Information via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com, behindthenet.ca and hockey-reference.

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

OILERS D VOLLMAN BLUE 25 OR MORE

62GP, 5-10-15 .242

1. Wow. Yeah. What an emergence and what a great time for it.
  2. No. I meant your RE. It blows. Well, it is a slight increase, I don’t think he will get any more power-play time but his TOI should increase.
  3. No power-play time? I think Sekera and a healthy Klefbom will get most of the time, with a forward also playing the point quite a bit. That is the guess, anyway.
  4. He has a great shot. Two power-play goals in 22 power-play minutes, so he might get time. I don’t think it is reasonable to project it, but did give him a spike offensively based on increased EV playing time.
  5. The Vollman looks good! Yes. I think the Oilers could use him on second or third pairing, and BD on the RH side second pairing may end up being a better option than Mark Fayne.
  6. Who did he play well with? Everyone. He spent 283 minutes at 5×5 with Eric Gryba (53.7), 102 minutes with Justin Schultz (50.8).
  7. What makes him so good? Smart, skilled, better speed than many of us thought, plus he had time to put his game together in the minor leagues.
  8. Maybe the Oilers should do that more often? Hahaahahahahahahaaaa.
  9. Haaahahahahahahhaaha. Haahahahahahahahaaha.
  10. Can Davidson play RH side? He did last season, and looked good doing it. I think we could see a third pairing that includes two lefties this fall and he would be a candidate. I think he might end up second pair—on merit.
  11. What was the biggest obstacle he had to overcome? Skating. That’s why we missed him, that’s why the Oilers got him so late and why he was allowed to develop out of the spotlight.
  12. How bad was his skating? Pre-draft report from scout Mike Remmerde: I usually like late bloomers who come out of nowhere, but this guy’s skating bothers me too much. Has big trouble with pivots. But he’s got really good hockey sense and is a very good puck mover. Probably goes way higher than I like, but if somehow he lasted until the 5th round, I might be interested.
  13. Where did he go again? He went in the 6th round, No. 162 overall. He is the last remaining remnant from the Lubo trade.
  14. Who was the last EDM 6th round pick to look this good? Anatoli Semenov in 1989 was a really good player, Steve Smith is easily the best player the Oilers ever took from the sixth round.
  15. Do you think Chiarelli made the call on keeping him last fall? I think Davidson must have had an inside champion, probably for more than one year.
  16. Inside champion? Yes. Someone in the room pushed to keep him, even to the point of keeping eight defenders. Whoever that inside champion is, Oilers fans owe him a thanks.
  17. MacT? Don’t know. I imagine it would have been someone involved in the minor league side, so maybe. Bob Green? Maybe. Bill Scott? No idea. Someone in there saved Brandon Davidson—or more accurately, saved the Oilers from losing a good young player.
  18. Did the man who came to Davidson’s aid survive the forensics? Heh. Suspect he did, although maybe it was Scott Howson.
  19. What is Davidson? Well, he is kind of like Fernando Pisani, in that he developed in the minors and quickly emerged as a very useful NHL player. We have to see it for a longer period, but this fellow seems to be an extremely useful player.
  20. Can the Oilers learn patience based on his rational development? Can the Oilers learn patience based on his rational development?
  21. Point. Yeah. Well, I have real concerns about the development side, Edmonton has lost a lot of talent along the way (imo) because kids don’t follow a rational line. Compare Anton Lander’s development to Davidson—that gap is what Edmonton needs to close.
  22. Will they expose him in the expansion draft? Not if Davidson repeats the season he delivered in 2015-16—he will be too famous. I have looked extensively at expansion drafts over many years, and if you approach it from the pov of your team it will not give you much perspective.
  23. What do you mean? I know Oilers fans who are very worried about losing Laurent Brossoit. Las Vegas must select three goalies. It is extremely likely they will find three options who fit their needs better (say Andrew Hammond from Ottawa, Antti Niemi—in exchange for a handsome package from Dallas, Philipp Grubauer from Washington) than Brossoit. Now, Davidson? He would be an attractive player for Las Vegas, whether as a keeper or trade chip. When Vegas picks their goalies, they are extremely likely to draft actual NHL players, not prospects who are not yet established. LV needs plug and play from the expansion draft.
  24. Should Oilers fans be worried about the expansion draft? No. They are not close to having the kind of depth a team requires to be genuinely worried about in this kind of draft. Edmonton’s tenth best player will not be as good as Anaheim’s, or Tampa Bay’s. Edmonton should improve relative to the league because of the expansion draft.
  25. Why this song? It was automatic once I decided on CanCon. It is one of the truly great songs in Canadian pop history, and the line ‘don’t know what the hell I got, whatever it is it’s an awful lot’ fits this player. I also want to publicly congratulate Pagliaro for writing a drinking love song with the line ‘I’m going to lose control, from my liver to my very soul‘—that is a man’s love song, folks.

83 Responses to "RE 16-17 BRANDON DAVIDSON: WHAT THE HELL I GOT"

Lowdown is back! 10 this morning, with Scott Burnside from ESPN; Andrew Bucholtz from 55-Yard Line; Alex Thomas from Oilers Rig; Jeff Krushell from Krush Performance.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter.

I am also working on securing Rob Vollman for an entire show in September to talk about his new book!

2. kinger_OIL says:

– Great post LT: I love this quote: ” plus he had time to put his game together in the minor leagues”

– There has never been a player who made it in the NHL where one has said: “well he would have been better if he didn’t spend so much time developing in lesser leagues, against lesser competition”

– But plenty of player who we say: “he got rushed, and wasn’t given enough development”

– I get that for instance poolparty is “better” than Sleppy for instance, but when allocating NHL minutes next year: go with Sleppy, and let poolparty develop.

3. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Love Brandon Davidson the player and person. Classic underdog who continues to defy the odds. His development this year as a leader and mentor to some of the even younger dmen on the roster will be key. Future captain material (assistant likely with McD) he is one of those guys coaches love and is the type of player Championship teams need.

Brandon Davidson is a winner.

4. jm363561 says:

Let’s start with Puljujarvi spending a couple of years in the minors while he “gets his game together”. Hahaahahahahahahaaaa.

EDIT – Kinger beat me to it.

5. Klima's_Bucket says:

Is it possible that Griffin Reinhart won’t need to be protected?

As the rules state:

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

He only played 29 games last year.

Wouldn’t he have to play in 41 games this year to qualify for the expansion draft?

6. GCW_69 says:

“Point. Yeah. Well, I have real concerns about the development side, Edmonton has lost a lot of talent along the way (imo) because kids don’t follow a rational line. Compare Anton Lander’s development to Davidson—that gap is what Edmonton needs to close.”

Nurse’s development line is a lot closer to Lander’s than Davidson.

7. jm363561 says:

Love St Brandon. It is strange how careful most people on this blog have been in projecting his ceiling having played 64 games, whereas KBom is already anointed as the next Nicklas Lidstrom after 107. Drawing on all my experience of predicting last year that Anton Lander could be our 2C, I go with RickiTheBear – if they sign one more RHD then BD will eventually be top pair with Larsson.

8. dustrock says:

Sometimes I think about NHL players coming in so young ,and then looking at the NBA and NFL, where players are almost always attending college, at least for a year.

Sure you get the lottery picks in the NBA who maybe can come right out of high school, but even guys like Kobe and Garnett took time to turn into 2 of the best NBA players of the last 20 years.

Making your pro league your development league doesn’t work for many teams. Some people are saying the NFL needs to change how they use QBs, because these guys come right out of college and then are expected to start possibly the most difficult position in pro sports with no experience.

Just like with Davidson taking his time to develop, you look at players like Aaron Rodgers or Steve Young – you think they didn’t benefit by having to sit and watch Montana and Favre for multiple seasons?

On a somewhat similar note, I like the idea of taking overage defencemen as well – we shouldn’t be turned off by the fact these guys were bubble guys in their draft year, and then stabilized in their D+1 year.

9. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

jm363561:

I agree I also think Klef has been overrated here and think Davidson-Larsson top pair next year is very possible.

10. JDï™ says:

from my liver to my very soul…

Who can’t relate?

And if youtube’s autoplay doesn’t lead you to Lovin’ You Ain’t Easy, Rainshowers and Some Sing Some Dance, it has failed you.

Sorry Pouz.

11. ~ Hall of Shame ~ says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Is it possible that Griffin Reinhart won’t need to be protected?

As the rules state:

He only played 29 games last year.

That language is from minimum exposure provisions. The draft exempt language isn’t worded like that at all and has nothing to do with how many of the games in the NHL.

12. DRFNsuperstar says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Is it possible that Griffin Reinhart won’t need to be protected?

As the rules state:

He only played 29 games last year.

That is the exposure requirements for each team, not the eligibility requirements. The only exempt players are ones with career ending injuries and 1st/2nd year pros plus unsigned draft choices.

13. Clay says:

“Maybe the Oilers should do that more often? Hahaahahahahahahaaaa.
    Haaahahahahahahhaaha. Haahahahahahahahaaha.”

It’s so sad because it’s so true.

Here’s something to consider – did Davidson’s bout with testicular cancer force the Oilers to bring him along slowly, thereby furthering his career?

“A farmer had only one horse. One day, his horse ran away.

His neighbors said, “I’m so sorry. This is such bad news. You must be so upset.”

The man just said, “We’ll see.”

A few days later, his horse came back with twenty wild horses following. The man and his son corralled all 21 horses.

His neighbors said, “Congratulations! This is such good news. You must be so happy!”

The man just said, “We’ll see.”

One of the wild horses kicked the man’s only son, breaking both his legs.

The man just said, “We’ll see.”

The country went to war, and every able-bodied young man was drafted to fight. The war was terrible and killed every young man, but the farmer’s son was spared, since his broken legs prevented him from being drafted.

The man just said, “We’ll see.””

14. Chachi says:

kinger_OIL:

15. Centre of attention says:

I think if Davidson plays 75 games, 8 goals and 25 points is not out of the question. Another fantastic two-way blue.

I’ll disagree with LT and say that Davidson wins at least some second unit PP time, with a chance at the first unit depending on Klefboms health.

16. Jaxon says:

I like Davidson and think he’s good value on 3rd pair who can play a bit on 2nd pair in a crunch. However, I don’t think we’ll see much more improvement from him. Last season was his Draft+7 year and big improvement in your 25 year old season is rare. He has also never shown offense at any level so it is unlikely he will improve on his 18 point pace from this past season. I think he’s a great fit on the left side to let the youngsters improve in Bakersfield. But with younger Nurse, Reinhart, Simpson, Oesterle and even Jones hot on his tale and LaLeggia possibly getting NHL time in the next couple years a PP QB, he’ll have a hard time stayting in front of the onslaught. If or when Paigin comes over it will make it even tougher.

I would bet he gets traded at next year’s deadline as Nurse, Simpson, LaLeggia and Jones show they can do the defensive job while bringing more offense than Davidson ever will. He will have real value at the deadline for cap crunched Cup contenders. But, as LT has mentioned in the past, it’s never a good idea to bet against Davidson.

17. Chachi says:

I was not aware of this story before. This is great:

The Accidental Origin of the Hit Song ‘American Woman’

18. alice13 says:

“It will be So Oilers to play him on his off side. The creativity in finding ways to screw up young players careers is breathtaking.”

There are more lefties than righties everywhere, period – so playing on your off side is a general thing, not an oilers thing. A quick look at Pittsburgh – who had some success this year – righties were Letang and some guy Justin. The other 5 I saw on the list were all lefties.

Agreed it’s good to have Some, as it helps with PP setups etc, but ‘playing on the off side’ is not a big deal once a player has adjusted to it. It’s not a failing of mgmt that left-handedness is the dominant orientation.

19. Centre of attention says:

Kiltymcbagpipes: If he does play on the right side (keep in mind he has been doing it for years) it will likely be to mentor Nurse and give him a steady hand to play with. That’s not a bad thing. Then if there is ever an injury in the top 4 on either side (hopefully not) Davy moves up and fills the void.

Something to think about, Klefbom has also played right side in OKC as well as in Junior and at the international level. The Oilers have lots of options.

20. JDï™ says:

Aivis Kalniņš
    ‏@A_Kalnins

Mike Keenan has left advisory role with Metallurg Magnitagorsk.

Roy quits, Iron Mike quits.

I’ll take “Things That Make You Say Hmm” for $2000, Alex.

21. Bruce McCurdy says:

Jaxon:

As for the statement that Davidson has never shown offence at any level, well that just isn’t true. In his last two years in Regina not only did he lead the defence in scoring by 32 and 20 points respectively, he ranked in the top three in club scorers at any position both years. Then in his 11-game cameo in the ECHL after his cancer scare he scored 7 (!) goals and 12 points. In the AHL his role was more defensive in nature, as it has been in the NHL to this point, but that’s different from saying he has never shown aptitude in the offensive end. I don’t project him as a big scorer but I wouldn’t write him off as a non factor either.

22. Soup Fascist says:

Jaxon:

Not saying Davidson is Mark Giordano. Also not saying it is impossible for him to become Mark Giordano based on their trajectories.

One interesting thing to consider. Both Giordano and Campbell more or less began their spike after a year in Europe.

A matter of confidence?

23. russ99 says:

I still think we’re going to lose Broissoit in the draft.

Las Vegas isn’t going to bite for our high-salary players like Pouliot or Fayne, unless they have a significant breakout this season.

Also, makes me wonder if we went with a stopgap in Gustavsson and haven’t added another RHD due to how better players could impact our expansion draft protected list.

24. Ducey says:

jm363561:

Couple of years? 40 games would be plenty. He needs to learn the smaller rink and probably learn some defensive aspects of the NHL game. He doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who needs to work on a lot of skills.

30 – 40 AHL games and 40 NHL games with some shelter would be great.

jm363561:

I’ll take Hyperbole for $500, Alex.

There would be very few LH D who have not grown up playing plenty of time on the right side. He has shown the ability to play there in pro. There are lots of LHD who play on the right all the time in the NHL.

Maybe he is 6% less effective on the right side. Pretty sure that is not a breathtaking way to screw up a player.

25. kinger_OIL says:

Chachi,

– I like your post a lot: Chaich sasy: ” Great players do not spend a lot of time in the minors; they just don’t.”

– That’s true, that’s where we differ. pool-parties NHLE don’t suggest “great player” to me

– Sure: seen him good, and physical advantage to dominate against peers.

– pool-party should be a fine player. I guess it depends on what your expectation is of great.

26. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

kinger_OIL:
    Chachi,

– That’s true,that’s where we differ.pool-parties NHLE don’t suggest “great player” to me

– Sure: seen him good, and physical advantage to dominate against peers.

– pool-party is gong to be a fine player.I guess it depends on what your expectation is of great.

Who the hell is pool party? Is that you Grapes?

27. kinger_OIL says:

Kiltymcbagpipes: Who the hell is pool party? Is that you Grapes?

28. Bruce McCurdy says:

I would argue a 17-year-old MVP in a “19-year-olds’ tournament” is more than dominating against peers. Which is different from saying he’s NHL-ready at 18.

29. JDï™ says:

Kiltymcbagpipes: Who the hell is pool party? Is that you Grapes?

Sorry Pouz.

30. GCW_69 says:

Evidence? How much has he really played on the right side?

31. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

kinger_OIL: – some guy after he got drafted on this site, drunked up sent out a beaut post about drinking at the pool, and pool-party: I thought it was the best nick name ever!

I dunno maybe I’m way off base here but I find it ignorant when people can’t pronounce a foreign name they mimic it with something they find funny like ‘Drysaddle’ or ‘Pool party’. Seems disrespectful to me can’t see how the actual person would like it either. If we can’t pronounce an English name we usually use short form. Can’t we do the same for Drai and JP and not make a joke out of it?

I know, I’m the A-hole.

32. Centre of attention says:

Ducks sign Vermette 2 years x 1.75 million per

33. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

GCW_69: Evidence?How much has he really played on the right side?

A lot in the AHL as I recall where once again they were all lefties.

34. Centre of attention says:

The Ducks need to move money. I think Rackell is vulnerable, Fowler could be had for a second round pick probably.

35. DRFNsuperstar says:

Chachi: I am all in favour of slow cooking d men in the minors. However, if Puljujarvi has to spend any more time than a cup of coffee in the AHL before he is ready to play in the NHL it will be a massive down arrow. Elite players do not need “seasoning” in the AHL. Have a look at the top 50 scorers in the NHL this past season. Very few of them needed extended bouts in the AHL to get ready to contribute in the NHL. Many of them would not have spent any time in the minors if it weren’t for the various lock-outs. Sure, send Puljujarvi down to the minors for 10-20 games, but if he is not tearing the cover off the ball down there in that time the shine will quickly come off of him as a prospect. If he is tearing it up and they keep him down for no reason other than a philosophy that players somehow get better by over-ripening in the AHL it will be very disappointing. Great players do not spend a lot of time in the minors; they just don’t.

The one MAJOR development advantage the AHL provides is the schedule. Practicing more and playing on weekends with very little travel is a huge plus for the theory that prospects should spend at least half their first pro year in the AHL. It’s true you only learn the in game reads by playing minutes, so playing big minutes in a lower league makes a little bit of sense because you should average probably 5 more minutes a game so 410 minutes..about 4 practices. That is why players really get better in practice 16 800 (roughly) hours a year practicing in the AHL and only 1 224 hours playing (if playing 18 min a game).

There are lots of things an 18 year old, non English speaking, foreign to the country, guy coming off surgery could benefit from spending time in the AHL.

36. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Centre of attention:

37. Centre of attention says:

Kiltymcbagpipes: Just dump Stoner he’s like $3.25 Mill. They’d still have Lindholm, Vatanen, Bieksa, Fowler, Despres, Manson and Theodore.

I think it’s Fowler that goes eventually, if I was the Oilers I would stay away.

38. Chachi says:

DRFNsuperstar: The one MAJOR development advantage the AHL provides is the schedule. Practicing more and playing on weekends with very little travel is a huge plus for the theory that prospects should spend at least half their first pro year in the AHL. It’s true you only learn the in game reads by playing minutes, so playing big minutes in a lower league makes a little bit a of sense because you should average probably 5 more minutes a game so 410 minutes..about 4 practices. That is why players really get better in practice 16 800 (roughly) hours a year practicing in the AHL and only 1 224 hours playing (if playing 18 min a game).

39. Kiltymcbagpipes says:

Centre of attention: It would be hard to find a taker at that price point. Mark Fayne is a similar player/contract, and he passed right threw waivers lol.

40. DRFNsuperstar says:

Chachi: Playing on weekends with very little travel is not going to prepare any player for life in the Western Conference of the NHL. Again, if Puljujarvi goes down for 10-20 games that is fine. If he is performing well at that point he should be up with the big club.

Rantanen’s season should be the plan for Puljujärvi, staying away from the drama in Col while putting up over a point per game and a plus 20 goal diff. There is a new captain to be named, the team just traded their best winger, plus all the reasons stated above. Who’s rookie year was more beneficial for the player Rantanen or Barkov because those are the comps.

41. Klima's_Bucket says:

DRFNsuperstar,

Barkov is a comparable of JP???

Holy Fuck.

42. rickithebear says:

Top30
    HSCA/60
    EVGA/60
    PKGA/60
    One of 4D in the league.

43. npanciroli says:

Maybe the Oilers should do that more often? Hahaahahahahahahaaaa.
    Haaahahahahahahhaaha. Haahahahahahahahaaha.

I loved this.

44. Centre of attention says:

Kiltymcbagpipes: Speaking of Salary cap, anyone else find it hilarious that Vancouver and Toronto both who should really struggle again this year only have an est. $2.8 Mill (Van) and $435K (!) of cap space each?

Yeah that is pretty embarrassing. We are pretty near the cap too, but I bet we are at least better than Van/Toronto.

45. Chachi says:

DRFNsuperstar: With that logic you would prepare for the Boston Marathon by running the Boston Marathon…

46. Centre of attention says:

this guy http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=117577 is interesting. If I was the Oilers I would offer him an ELC.

He is expected to become a UFA tomorrow along with Vesey and others. RHC with some good scoring, Tony Cameranesi, former 5th round pick of the Leafs.

47. DRFNsuperstar says:

Chachi: No, I would work my way up to running a marathon. You would run around the block once every weekend for 2 years and when you got to the marathon you would flame out spectacularly. Also, Barkov is the better player; by far. He is a real NHLer.

48. Chachi says:

DRFNsuperstar: I had no idea the AHL was so bad it is like running around the block…and you want Puljujärvi to do that for 10 weeks before coming to the Oilers? He’s going to be so fat though!

49. DRFNsuperstar says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    DRFNsuperstar,

Barkov is a comparable of JP???

Holy Fuck.

You wouldn’t use Barkov as the high-end projection for Puljujärvi? Yeah Barkov scored better in the SM-Liiga but he was older in his draft year. JP also scored better in international play.

50. DRFNsuperstar says:

Chachi: If you find your analogy is making no sense it is because it is a bad one. A really bad one. Might want to think up a new one.

Sounds good, have a nice lunch and a wonderful rest of your day 🙂

GCW_69: Evidence?How much has he really played on the right side?

Rhetorical question: Do you follow the Oilers at all?

Davidson played the vast majority of his AHL career on the right side, putting out tire fires since he was paired with Brad Hunt.

During the Todd Nelson stint as head coach of the Oilers when Davidson was called up, he played right side most of the time.

52. Centre of attention says:

godot10: Rhetorical question:Do you follow the Oilers at all?

Davidson right side with Sekera was a fantastic pairing, just saying.

Centre of attention: Davidson right side with Sekera was a fantastic pairing, just saying.

Except Fayne needs to play with a veteran to be effective. Fayne with Nurse on the 3rd pairing is horrible for both Fayne and Nurse.

Fayne has to play with a stable veteran defensemen who is better than he is to be effective.

Nurse needs to play with a D who won’t freak out and has the ability to recover when Nurse makes a mistake. That is Davidson. Fayne has extremely poor recovery ability when a play goes bad.

If Fayne gets pushed down to 2nd pairing with a solid #3 like Sekera, away from the top lines of the opposition most of the time, that will maximize his effectiveness.

So my preference is Sekera with Fayne, and Davidson on the right side with Nurse (or Reinhart).

If Reinhart steals Fayne’s job, then Sekera and Davidson, with Reinhart and Nurse as the 3rd pairing.

Both Raatanen (Colorado) and Nylander (Toronto) have been slow played in the AHL, where both have excelled.

The OIlers should probably do the same with Puljujarvi.

55. Centre of attention says:

godot10: Except Fayne needs to play with a veteran to be effective.Fayne with Nurse on the 3rd pairing is horrible for both Fayne and Nurse.

Nurse needs to play with a D who won’t freak out and has the ability to recover when Nurse makes a mistake.That is Davidson.Fayne has extremely poor recovery ability when a play goes bad.

IDK, if Fayne is playing lesser competition on 3rd pair I think he will be fine. Just my opinion though. Nurses numbers with Fayne were not great, but they were also playing higher up in the line up.

56. G Money says:

Davidson has played the right side.

That “he’s good at it” overstates the case quite a bit.

Shots wise, Davidson’s best pairings were when he played the left side, despite the fact that his partners in those cases were the less than stellar Gryba and Schultz.

His results when playing on the right side were only OK when he played with guys where it seems clear he was facing primarily bottom rank competition.

When he played right side and faced good competition, he did not do well, even when paired with good defenders like Sekera and Klefbom. (CoA: Sekera-Davidson was not a good pairing!)

So if the pairs next season are Klef-Lars Sek-Fayne Nurse-Davidson, certainly that’s a workable set of defenders.

But I would bet a third pairing of Davidson-Gryba or Davidson-Nakladal would be better still than Nurse-Davidson.

What I’d love to see is Chia somehow procure another legit Top 4 RHD, and run Klef-Lars Davidson-New Guy, Sekera-Fayne as basically a defense by committee, where there is no superstar pairing, but there is minimal weakness and sheltering required, as every pairing can mostly handle its own against top rank competition.

The idea of using Davidson as an RHD on the third pairing is fine, but suboptimal, and leaves the team hugely exposed in case of injury to any of the RHD.

But then, why would that be a surprise!

G Money:
    Davidson has played the right side.

That “he’s good at it” overstates the case quite a bit.

Do we have Davidson’s RH totals?

58. Centre of attention says:

G Money,

How bad was Davidson-Sekera? By eye they were effective, sample size may be an issue as well. One bad game does not a bad pairing make.

59. G Money says:

Puljujarvi’s draft year boxcars are very comparable to Rantanen’s.

Barkov scored at almost twice the pace (all SM-Liiga) as Puljujarvi and Rantanen.

So using Rantanen as a comparable to Puljujarvi is reasonable.

He’s also a good reason why assuming that Puljujarvi can thrive in the NHL in his first year is way optimistic. Like Pulju, Rantanen is big. Like Pulju, he’s been ‘playing against men’. And yet, Rantanen put up zero points in nine games in his NHL debut, before finding a very effective game down in the AHL.

I imagine we’ll see Rantanen in the NHL next year.

Perhaps someone who has looked at their TOI, deployment, shot metrics, etc. can shed some light that would change my impression of the situation, but otherwise, I’m not sure Barkov can be considered a comparable to Puljujarvi, his results were simply *way* better.

60. Centre of attention says:

Perhaps if Davidson and Sekera play together, it is Sekera who slides over. They can share the work load, as both have experience playing on their offside.

I would much rather Davidson play on his natural left side, but if he has to play right-side I would prefer it be with Sekera.

61. G Money says:

I’ve run his L-L vs L-R TOI and results before (I’d have to look up the specifics, it was a fair bit of work!) back when the whole lefty-right thing came up in a big way a few months ago.

One thing I did not do is determine whether Davidson was actually playing the right side, only that he was on a lefty-lefty pairing. [my eyeballs say he was usually the guy on the right, but that means little]

His L-L results are about 3% worse than his L-R results.

The other good lefties (Sekera, Klefbom) both take about a 6% hit when they play on L-L pairings vs L-R pairings (right in line with the league average), despite the fact that, like Davidson, their L-R pairings are lower quality than their L-L pairings.

This is probably where the idea that Davidson is ‘good’ on the right side comes from – he’s the least impacted of the good lefties. The problem is, he’s also playing the weakest comp when he’s playing with fellow lefties, so there are other reasons why his hit may be milder.

The ultimate takeaways are three: 1 – I think Davidson on the right side in a third pairing role will do fine, he’s done fine before. 2 – He does better when he’s on the left side though. 3 – And based on the data we do have, it is not safe to assume that Davidson can step into playing effectively on the right hand side in a Top 4 role. He might be able to do it, but we don’t yet have evidence that he can do it.

Centre of attention,

True. They ran about 46%. EVTOI equated to 75 mins, which I would approximate as 5 to 6 games worth. It’s not enough to say anything definitively, but it’s certainly not good.

62. Klima's_Bucket says:

DRFNsuperstar,

Barkov was 12 days away from being a 2014 pick.
    He was one of the youngest players ever drafted.

Barkov also plays a far more difficult position and has done exceptionally well.
    Playing wing should help JP due to less responsibilities.

I won’t argue Barkov’s international resume as I’m too lazy to look it up, but if memory serves, I don’t think Barkov had the luxury of playing alongside another elite talent like Laine.

63. Centre of attention says:

G Money:

Centre of attention,

True.They ran about 46%.EVTOI equated to 75 mins, which I would approximate as 5 to 6 games worth.It’s not enough to say anything definitively, but it’s certainly not good.

I think there might have been an adjustment period, as I believe he had one or two very solid games where he was playing his offside with both Nurse and Sekera at different points.

Even then, like I said, I would prefer a way where we could have Davidson on his natural side.

64. DRFNsuperstar says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    DRFNsuperstar,

Barkov was 12 days away from being a 2014 pick.
    He was one of the youngest players ever drafted.

Playing wing should help JP due to less responsibilities.

My bad, I saw September and assumed late birthday draft pick. Draft +1 will tell who the correct comp is a suppose.

65. AnOmYnOuS1 says:

G Money:
    Puljujarvi’s draft year boxcars are very comparable to Rantanen’s.

So using Rantanen as a comparable to Puljujarvi is reasonable.

He’s also a good reason why assuming that Puljujarvi can thrive in the NHL in his first year is way optimistic.Like Pulju, Rantanen is big.Like Pulju, he’s been ‘playing against men’.And yet, Rantanen put up zero points in nine games in his NHL debut, before finding a very effective game down in the AHL.

I imagine we’ll see Rantanen in the NHL next year.

66. Centre of attention says:

AnOmYnOuS1: I agree that Rantanen is a good comparable, but there is a bit of context for Rantanen’s lack of NHL production. He never played over 11 minutes in any of his games. His TOI for the year in the NHL was only 80.32. So on average he was only playing 9 minutes a night, while learning to play on a smaller rink. Still needed the AHL time, but wasn’t really given a major opportunity to contribute when in the NHL.

Great observations.

I was scared of Puljujarvi at first, but the more I read and see the more I like the player.

If I was a defender, I would have nightmares and need therapy after seeing Puljujarvi-McDavid come flying across the blue line on a two-on-one. Absolutely terrifying thought.

67. mujidog says:

Haahahahahahahahaaha

68. G Money says:

Centre of attention,

Agreed.

AnOmYnOuS1,

Good context, thanks.

mujidog,

Agreed.

69. Frank the dog says:

Gerta Rauss:

comments from Taylor Hall

Regardless of one’s position on the trade, it’s pretty clear he never saw it coming. It will be some kind of battle when he faces off against the Lucic-McDavid-line on Jan 7th. Who would you put against him on RW? I’m assuming Klef and Larsson on D. Or does he get a checking line?

Edit: In other words, which LW-C-RW combination would you play against Hall?

70. Centre of attention says:

Frank the dog: Regardless of one’s position on the trade, it’s pretty clear he never saw it coming. It will be some kind of battle when he faces off against the Lucic-McDavid-line on Jan 7th. Who would you put against him on RW?I’m assuming Klef and Larsson on D. Or does he get a checking line?

Edit: In other words, which LW-C-RW combination would you play against Hall?

I would put Kassian out against Hall, because Hall is very vulnerable to mind games. I guarantee Kassian would be able to get a rise out of Taylor.

One thing I noticed watching him over the years, Hall has a bad temper. It’s easy to get under his skin and he takes ridiculous penalties once he’s frustrated.

Something like Pouliot-Nuge-Kassian would be my choice vs Taylor. Pouliot and Nuge can contain, while Kassian pisses him off and gets him off his game.

71. Oilspill says:

Wouldn’t it be nice to assign a performance number that really described the players strengths.

72. GCW_69 says:

godot10: Rhetorical question:Do you follow the Oilers at all?

Fuck you too.

I do follow the Oilers. The barons, not as closely. I didn’t see Davidson good in his right side experiment this past season. I know he did time with Hunt, but hadn’t seen anything to confirm it was Davidson who switched sides.

I did however find this, “Hunt played 66 games for the Oklahoma City Barons, with his 50 points representing a big step up from his 2012-13 numbers. Not only did he establish himself as the Barons’ best pure offensive defenceman (he finished just two points back of the team’s overall scoring lead) but he did it while playing his off-side and generally matching up against tough competition. ” from Cult of Hockey on Hunts 13/14 season.

So, Davidson sure as shit didn’t play on his off side with Hunt in 13/14. That only leaves 14/15 where he could have played on his off side with Hunt. Hunt played 62 games and Davidson 55. Are we to assume they played all 55 of Davidson’s games as a pairing? Seems unlikely. So, somewhere south of 55 games is the number.

With the big club he was shaky, so I don’t think Nelson playing him on the right side means much.

In 12/13 Davidson played with Garrett Stafford, a right shot.

I am not sure where the line is for ample evidence, but I don’t think we have seen it yet.

73. Hilmar says:

JDï™: When you don’t know how many consecutive vowels are in a Finnish player’s name, or where the silent ‘j’ goes, you improvise.

Sorry Pouz.

Except the Finnish language doesn’t have any silent j’s, or any silent letters at all for that matter.

I bet our two soon to be millionaire athletes will be just fine with getting cool catchy nicknames on a blog they probably never even heard of, no offence LT.

74. Centre of attention says:

I might have to revise some of my projections, according to Jason Gregor none of the goalies he’s spoken to this summer have even seen the new equipment, none have even ordered it, and most think they won’t have too.

Looks like implementation of the new equipment may get pushed back to next year.

75. hodgkins says:

Centre of attention:

Ohhh, I thought you just wanted to sign him because he’s Robby Dee’s cousin. That 3rd round has been an issue forever, it seems.

76. bendelson says:

Centre of attention:

Yeah, I suspect it’s a foregone conclusion at this point in the summer that implementation will be postponed. The best goalies in the world need to be tournament ready a month from now.
    The only questions are: when does the NHL announce the seemingly inevitable and how will it be framed?

It won’t sound like this:

“We dragged our feet all spring/summer on this matter, have been scrambling for some time now and to be completely honest, aren’t anywhere near ready. As a result, we will continue to allow goalies to wear whatever they like this season with little to no oversight from the NHL.”

77. jm363561 says:

godot10: Rhetorical question:Do you follow the Oilers at all?

====

Agreed, but it is still his offside, and his stated preference is to play left.

78. jm363561 says:

GCW_69: Fuck you too.

I do follow the Oilers. The barons, not as closely. I didn’t see Davidson good in his right side experiment this past season.I know he did time with Hunt, but hadn’t seen anything to confirm it was Davidson who switched sides.

So, Davidson sure as shit didn’t play on his off side with Hunt in 13/14.That only leaves 14/15 where he could have played on his off side with Hunt. Hunt played 62 games and Davidson 55. Are we to assume they played all 55 of Davidson’s games as a pairing?Seems unlikely.So, somewhere south of 55 games is the number.

In 12/13 Davidson played with Garrett Stafford, a right shot.

============

Woodguy was kind enough to compare BD’s left and right side WoodMoney stats a few weeks ago. His interpretation was to leave Davidson left side.

79. Centre of attention says:

bendelson: Yeah, I suspect it’s a foregone conclusion at this point in the summer that implementation will be postponed.The best goalies in the world need to be tournament ready a month from now.
    The only questions are:when does the NHL announce the seemingly inevitable and how will it be framed?

It won’t sound like this:

“We dragged our feet all spring/summer on this matter, have been scrambling for some time now and to be completely honest, aren’t anywhere near ready.As a result, we will continue to allow goalies to wear whatever they like this season with little to no oversight from the NHL.”

Thats probably exactly what happens. Or they deliver the equipment mid september and say deal with it

80. Jaxon says:

Bruce McCurdy: I vehemently disagree with this take. The idea that Brandon Davidson is done improving after doing nothing but improve by leaps and bounds every year until now sells him short. The expectation that guys like Joey LaLeggia and Caleb Jones will (quickly!) establish themselves on the defensive side of the puck to anywhere near the degree Davidson has is pretty far fetched, as is the suggestion that Dillon Simpson or Griffin Reinhart will easily outstrip his offensive production.

Bruce, you have many good points in your rebuttal. I may have been a bit over zealous in my rhetoric. I did not say he is done improving but I don’t think he’ll keep improving at the rate he has in the past. He is 25 years old. It is rare for any D to make major improvements at that age. You are usually close to knowing what you have by that time. I know Davidson has been a special case who has proven many wrong over and over, so you never know. I should not have included Jones in the “hot on his tail” sentence. I believe I added him to the sentence after my initial draft as another in the long line of left D and I did not re-read the new sentence. And me saying “LaLeggia possibly getting NHL time in the next couple years a PP QB” is not exactly saying he “will (quickly!) establish” himself.
    Also, you’ll notice I never anywhere said “Griffin Reinhart will easily [or otherwise] outstrip his offensive production.” Reinhart has shown even less offense than Davidson. Simpson, on the other hand, has outproduced Davidson at every season. (see numbers below in response to Soup Fascist)
    Davidson has not scored at a high level except for the small sample size 12 points in 11 games in the ECHL, but even that is only an NHLe of 20 pts (ECHL has a factor of .22, less than WHL’s factor of .27). In his draft+2 and Draft+3 seasons in Regina he only had an NHLe of 16 pts. That was his full season NHLe peak until his 18 points this season in his draft+7 season. The comparables for offensive production are not great. I know that is not the whole game, but it is a very important aspect of today’s game and is a good indicator of talent. 20 points may be all he ever gets, and that is fine for a 3rd pair who sometimes plays in the top 4.

Soup Fascist: You may want to check out Johnny Boychuk, Brian Campbell, Jason Garrison and Mark Giordano to name a few. Honestly those were the first four names that jumped into my head. All four made leaps after their draft +7 / 25 year old seasons. Like I said that is four that came to mind. I am sure there are many more.

One interesting thing to consider. Both Giordano and Campbell more or lessbegan their spike after a year in Europe.

A matter of confidence?

All the players you mentioned have outperformed Davidson up to the Draft+7 season.Garrison only marginally, so he is a bit closer comparable, but Campbell, Giordano and Boychuk are definitely not. Davidson’s offense has been more in line with Mark Pysyk, Griffin Reinhart. He hasn’t even shown as much as Marincin, Jared Cowen or Dillon Simpson.

NHLEs by Draft+ Season

MARTIN MARINCIN:…………………………..19……15…..17…..11…..10…….9…….X…….X
    JARED COWEN:…………………………………10……11…..18…..17…..12…..18…..14…….9
    BRANDON DAVIDSON:…………………………4……13…..16…..16…….7…….7…….7…..18
    MARK PYSYK:……………………………………11…..14……15……7…..13……12…..16……X
    GRIFFIN REINHART:……………………………14……11…..10…..14…..13…….X…….X……X

81. YKOil says:

My thinking is that Stoner’s contract could be the key to Montour or Welinski. Montour looks good so it may take something of value to get him while Welinski has more risk attached (i.e. doesn’t look as good) so could be closer to being a throw in – would still represent valuable RHD depth for the Oilers however.

Stoner in the minors (yes, I waive him on down) is a cap hit of ~ $2.3 million so trick is to then turn around and dump his salary on someone else and taking as a big a hit as you need to do it. Half his salary is ~ $1.63 million so anything less than that is a big win really (as it is less than the $2.3).

So… if two future 4th rounders and one of Musil, Simpson or Laleggia gets me Stoner and Welinksi then I probably make that trade. If I can get Anaheim to suck up $500k of that salary then I do that too.

Stoner then goes to whoever I can dump him on whenever I can do it. With luck another team gets desperate and gives me more than my two 4’s.

Anaheim then gets to keep Fowler and has the cash for Rackell and Lindholm.