TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 8: DRAKE CAGGIULA

The Edmonton Oilers won the Drake Caggiula sweepstakes, a time for the organization to congratulate themselves and the rest of us to figure out what he can do at the pro level. He is a small skill forward (5.10, 185) who would be considered average size if this were 1970. Lots of teams were interested, Edmonton got him. The rest is pure guesswork and that is the truth. He turned 22 in June and was a feature player on a famous UND line:

1. Brock Boeser 42gp, 27-33-60 (1.43 points-per-game)
  2. Drake Caggiula 39gp, 25-26-51 (1.31 points-per-game)
  3. Nick Schmaltz 37gp, 11-35-46 (1.24 points-per-game)

I ranked Caggiula No. 5 in my summer Top 20, and at 22 his time is now—or pretty damn close. He is a skill player on a team that needs inexpensive complementary types—and he will earn $925,000 (with bonus opportunities) if he makes the NHL in 2016-17. His NHLE is 82gp, 22-22-44—that is a fairly substantial prospect and he is likely close to NHL-ready.

DRAKE CAGGIULA BAKERSFIELD RE: 40GP, 18-19-37

DRAKE CAGGIULA NHL RE 16-17: 25GP, 3-1-4

1. What will his role be in Bakersfield? He has to be regarded as the top scoring option in Bakersfield right away. Bakersfield’s feature wingers a year ago were Matt Ford, Andrew Miller, Ryan Hamilton and Josh Winquist—this young man should be a better player than any of them.
  2. Where do you project him on the depth chart? I have him slotted at LW and he (imo) is the most talented offensive prospect among Condors. Jujhar Khaira, Tyler Pitlick, Patrick Russell, Anton Slepyshev all have talent, but Caggiula should emerge as the top scorer. Patrick Russell is a wildcard and Greg Chase had some promising numbers in junior.
  3. What has changed since his draft day? He was ranked No. 185 NA skater in 2012, and of course no one took him. He was scoring at a very rapid clip in the OJHL that season, plus a cup of coffee in the USHL. Since then, Caggiula has emerged as a fast, skilled and famous college scorer.
  4. What is he? Flyers GM Ron Hextall:  “He’s got speed, he plays hard, he has a lot of good attributes.  He’s got a shot at being a top six (player) based on his ability. He’s not the biggest player, but he plays hard.”
  5. What does Caggiula need to work on? Smaller men must post big boxcars to get noticed, so that is probably the real answer to this question.
  6. What one thing will get Caggiula to the NHL? Goals. This young man is going to get to the NHL quickly if he can contribute to offense—he is not expensive and the depth chart at forward is not Mount Everest. Injuries happen, and a look at the potential Condors list offers few more attractive scoring options.
  7. Anything else? Thomas Drance wrote a dandy item on Caggiula in the hours both Edmonton and Vancouver were in the running—well worth the read. One of the names he mentions—Rich Peverley—would be a terrific outcome (no guarantees, mind).
  8. What will keep him out of the NHL? Small forwards come in boxes of 12. Caggiula will need to prove himself now and forever. He is on the Cliff Ronning program, and incredibly tough route. That said, he is in a very good era for his player type and the Oilers lack of success at the draft table allows him a very large opportunity if he can score in pro.
  9. What does former UND (and now Philadelphia Flyers) Coach Dave Hakstol say? “He’ll play a game in the NHL, there’s no doubt of that in my mind. When it happens or what he does with it once he gets there, that will be up to him. He’ll have to prove he can handle the step up in pace. NHL players are so big but they’re also so fast. I think he can do it. Drake is not big but he’s hockey strong. He competes hard, too hard sometimes. He hits with a purpose, loves to really hit people, but he’s a veteran and we need him to be scoring goals. He plays the game hard. He plays the 200-foot game. You can tell he’s a coach’s son, he gets it.”  Source

82 Responses to "TRAINING CAMP HOPEFUL NO. 8: DRAKE CAGGIULA"

1. bendelson says:

Peverley seems like a nice comparable, as does Matt Read.
    My thinking is he will need to score in Bakersfield to get the call to the show, but it will be a complete 200ft game with tenacity on the PK that will keep him on the roster in Edmonton (areas of extreme need).

2. Centre of attention says:

Why are all your RE’s projecting around 60 games played for every damn player? I feel like you’re being pretty morbid in your injury predictions haha. Is anyone going to get a full season in their RE?

Also, if Cagguila plays in the NHL it will be hard to predict his boxcars. I think he could be similar to Marchand, in that early on his career he will move up and down the line up. Cagguila has the gritt and compete level to play on the 4th line if he has too, but he also has the skill and speed to play higher up in the lineup once he earns it.

I’m optimistic, I think he gets closer to 40 games this year, if he plays 40 NHL games I bet his boxcars would be something like 10 goals 15 assists. I think he ends up settling in on a skill line so the boxcars reflect that.

Stauffer has also hinted more than once that this kid will get a look at center, if he sticks there he is automatically the teams 4th best center. Its all a moving target and I can’t wait until camp to find out more about this kid.

My final prediction is that he blows the doors off my prediction which is pretty optimistic, and makes LT’s RE look like a joke. The guy is seriously skilled.

3. Klima's_Bucket says:

So, is this guy supposed to better than that Jimmy Vesey guy that no-one has been able to shut up about for the past month?

Centre of Attention: AHL recalls often sit for long stages. Griffin Reinhart, as an example, played 59 games a year ago between the two teams, Jujhar Khaira 64.

Klima’s_Bucket:

Depends on who you talk to, honestly. I think Vesey is more highly regarded, but Caggiula is a bona fide prospect and a nice get for Chiarelli.

6. Mr DeBakey says:

From this morning’s thread:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    From that list of college Free Agents you can cross FLA’s Eddie Wittchow off the list.
    He signed an AHL contract with the Panthers affiliate.

I could be wrong, but I believe a NHL Club can sign a guy on an AHL contract to a NHL contract at any time.
    Not that they’d necessarily want to in this case.

* * * *
    Best 7 films eh?
    Maltese Falcon, Rio Bravo, Superfly, Aguirre; The Wrath of God, Chinatown, the Bourne Identity, The Drop. That’s 7 by release date.

Forgot to add – Odd Couple, Heat of the Night, True Confessions, The General [Keaton]

Edit – Damn, Blade Runner. One of those seven has to come off.

8. LadiesloveSmid says:

not a chance in hell I could pick my favourite movie, let alone my top 7

surprised no texters said any of the Lord of The Rings, won piles of awards (and all 3 in top 15 all time on IMDB) and was pretty influential on me growing up. Maybe a generational thing. I really loved Interstellar and Braveheart too, no mention of those. Dud listeners!

9. Mr DeBakey says:

Lowetide: Heat of the Night is an incredible film. What do they call you up in Philadelphia? THEY CALL ME MR. TIBBS!

The sequel, titled THEY CALL ME MR. TIBBS!, is terrible.
    Fun fact – Heat of the Night is based on a 152 page paperback novel.
    Also, another cool film from that era, Bullitt, is based on a 144 page paperback novel.

* * *

OK, drop Rio Bravo for Blade Runner [Sob!]

10. Chachi says:

It will be impossible for Caggiula to complete that 15-16 RE unless he has access to a time machine. Also, I think the Oilers should send him to Europe for a couple of seasons since they do a bang up job of development out there.

11. Centre of attention says:

LadiesloveSmid:

not a chance in hell I could pick my favourite movie, let alone my top 7

Off the top of my head though:
    Saving Private Ryan
    Braveheart
    Lord of the Rings
    The Breakfast club
    When Harry Met Sally
    Shawshank
    Good Fellas

A real mixed bag I know, but then again so is my brain 🙂

12. LadiesloveSmid says:

Centre of attention: Braveheart. I knew I was forgetting one. I agreed with LT this morning, you forget names of movies and then people name them in their top 7 and you’re all like “Wait wait wait, that ones on mine too”

Off the top of my head though:
    Saving Private Ryan
    Braveheart
    Lord of the Rings
    The Breakfast club
    When Harry Met Sally
    Shawshank
    Good Fellas

A real mixed bag I know, but then again so is my brain 🙂

Stand by Me, Jurassic Park, anything that Liam Neeson is in. Guy could play Gandhi and I’d love it

Chachi:

14. Centre of attention says:

I still think that RE is too conservative. That’s your prerogative though 🙂 I don’t blame you at all for being conservative. That way you’re pleasantly surprised when it turns out Sevarelli isn’t blowing smoke up our asses and Drake does have top 6 potential at the NHL level.

You’re honestly telling me its reasonable to believe the Oilers slow play him? To quote Davidsons RE: “Hahahahahahahahahaha”

15. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: I think he will have real success in the minors, no need to send him to Europe. He is 22, if Caggiula is going to have an NHL career he should be able to jump past the Oilers current group of forwards (to the point of being an NHL player).

Chachi was sarcastically/snarkily referring to when SwedishPoster and another guy scolded him last night saying that staying in Europe is best for Puljujarvi.

At least that’s how I read it.

16. Centre of attention says:

LadiesloveSmid: Remember the Titans is another one of my favourites, have it on VHS and watch it on a dinky 9 inch VHS built-in TV every year outside by the fire at Christmas. I don’t know if the movie is good or the tradition is good, but always will be one of my most quotables.

I liked Remember the Titans too, they made us watch it back in phys ed. Kind of ironic now that I think of it, watching movies in gym class.

Liam Neeson is indeed a good actor. He does some great things even when provided with pretty average plot/dialogue (Run all night, etc).

Centre of attention: I was just starting to realize I wasn’t factoring travel/practice time as well for AHL call ups.

I still think that RE is too conservative. That’s your prerogative though 🙂 I don’t blame you at all for being conservative. That way you’re pleasantly surprised when it turns out Ferraro isn’t blowing smoke up our asses and Drake does have top 6 potential at the NHL level.

18. judgedrude says:

Off the top of my head though:
    Saving Private Ryan
    Braveheart
    Lord of the Rings
    The Breakfast club
    When Harry Met Sally
    Shawshank
    Good Fellas

A real mixed bag I know, but then again so is my brain

I would think that The Usual Suspects has to be there somewhere, no?

19. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: Callups are always difficult to project. Using 44 points in 82 games (Caggiula’s NHLE) we could assume he would score 10 points in 19 games (44×19 divided by 82). However, that assumes he would come up to the NHL and play a feature role—something Edmonton rarely does with their callups. The odds of Caggiula getting a clean shot at 16 minutes a night this coming season are not high, at least not in my opinion.

Yeah I meant more in the games played area its too conservative. But regarding deployment I will also say I could see Maroon falling into a slump and Pouliots foot acting up and there you go. Cagguila is Nuges winger.

Agree though, its fair for you to hedge your points-per-game bet on caution. I was mainly contesting the games played area.

Another thing we don’t consider enough, him playing center could mean he is 3rd line center in a heart beat. Do you know how convenient that would be if Todd wanted to move Drai up with Nuge for example? Very convenient. So convenient, I could see the organization pushing him into it after waiving Lander. (I hope this isn’t the case, but this is the Oilers)

It’s a moving target on a couple different levels. I have a hunch he blows the doors off though, he’s got the most skill of any NCAA signing I can remember in recent Oilers history. That NHLE screams potential.

20. Dora Dad says:

What about Fernando Pisani as a comp for Caggiula?

1996-97 Providence College H-East 35 12 18 30 36
    1997-98 Providence College H-East 36 16 18 34 20
    1998-99 Providence College H-East 38 14 37 51 42
    1999-00 Providence College H-East 38 14 24 38 56 -1
    2000-01 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 52 12 13 25 28 2 — — — — —
    2001-02 Hamilton Bulldogs AHL 79 26

2012-13 U. of North Dakota WCHA 39 8 8 16 31
    2013-14 U. of North Dakota NCHC 42 11 13 24 52
    2014-15 U. of North Dakota NCHC 42 18 18 36 30 11
    2015-16 U. of North Dakota NCHC 39 25 26 51 60

Pisani’s a little bigger, but the report on Caggiula reads like a smaller and angrier Pisani to me.

I’d be extremely happy with that result.

Top 7 Movies?
    Spaceballs, Pink Panther Strikes Again, Yellowbeard, Monty Python and The Holy Grail, Cat Ballou, Trading Places, Blues Brothers,

21. Pouzar says:

I love the Drake. He breaks the Calder curse. Book it.

My top 7 movies are:

I hate movies.

22. Centre of attention says:

Pouzar:
    I love the Drake. He breaks the Calder curse. Book it.

My top 7 movies are:

I hate movies.

Bold prediction, I love it.

If Pouliot gets hurt again or traded (good chance one of them happens) Cagguila is next batter up on the skill lines. I don’t think Maroon is a reliable top six option to be honest. He is fine there when you’re in a bind, but ideally he is a 3rd liner. There is room for Cagguila, the LW depth chart is no screaming hell.

Factor in his apparent ability to play center (good idea or not) and you have the recipe for serious NHL minutes upon his arrival in Edmonton.

I so so so hope those box cars are legit.

23. Pouzar says:

Centre of attention: Bold prediction, I love it.

And he breaks Teemu Selanne’s rookie goal scoring record too!

How do you like that CHACHI!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE JETS SUCK!!!!

24. frjohnk says:

Centre of attention: If Pouliot gets hurt again or traded (good chance one of them happens) Cagguila is next batter up on the skill lines. I don’t think Maroon is a reliable top six option to be honest. He is fine there when you’re in a bind, but ideally he is a 3rd liner.

Yup.

Even though Maroon lit it up on the scoreboard when he came here, some people forget that he did not come into the Ducks camp in shape and played very inconsistent in his time with Ducks last year. 54 games 13 points and majority of that was in the top 6. Even though he was only making $2M per year, the Ducks wanted him gone so much that they were willing to retain 500k and only get a B prospect and a 4th rounder in return.

I do believe I read that he was training harder this summer compared to last summer and hopefully the trade was a wake up call. Having Lucic here will no doubt help the power forwards like Maroon and Kassian to see what it takes to succeed on and off the ice and hopefully allow them to take the next step and be consistent players for the Oilers.

He is a good 3rd liner and can fill in nicely in the top 6 when healthy and committed.

If Maroon has a start to this year like last year, Drake could definitely be one of the guys who could find himself on the opening day roster.

2 rookies in the top 9?

Yup, its possible.

25. Pouzar says:

Speaking of Maroon and the Jets, he was a beast in that 1st rd series a year ago.

26. Chachi says:

Pouzar: And he breaks Teemu Selanne’s rookie goal scoring record too!

How do you like that CHACHI!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE JETS SUCK!!!!

Love the enthusiasm.

27. Pretendergast says:

Alright its been killing me,

HOW DO YOU SAY THIS GUYS NAME?!

Kag-E-oohla?

Cagg-ila?

Screw it im just saying Drake

28. Pouzar says:

Pretendergast:
    Alright its been killing me,

HOW DO YOU SAY THIS GUYS NAME?!

Kag-E-oohla?

Cagg-ila?

Screw it im just saying Drake

Called-Her

29. Chachi says:

Pretendergast:
    Alright its been killing me,

HOW DO YOU SAY THIS GUYS NAME?!

Kag-E-oohla?

Cagg-ila?

Screw it im just saying Drake

Ka-Joo-Lah

30. leadfarmer says:

I’m still waiting for someone to photoshop a picture of him playing a fiddle as Rexall place is burning.

Seven Movies:

1) Der Himmel uber Berlin (Wings of Desire)
    2) Chungking Express
    3) The Unbelievable Truth
    4) 24 Hour Party People (Honourable Mention related in subject “Control”)
    5) Choose Me
    6) Local Hero
    7) Trainspotting

Seven More Movies

8) Being There
    9) Inglourious Bastards
    10) Metropolitan
    11) The Remains of the Day
    12) Leon The Professional
    13) There Will Be Blood
    14) Lost In Translation

And what the heck…seven more.

15) Crossing Delancey
    16) My Brilliant Career
    17) Naked Lunch
    18) Inside Llewyn Davis
    19) Frances Ha
    20) Inception
    21) Crimes and Misdemeanors

32. "Steve Smith" says:

leadfarmer,

You’re thinking of Frank Nero – a coke machine with hands good enough to make it in junior, but nowhere near NHL-calibre. Stevie Y really liked him in his draft year, though.

33. Gordies Elbow says:

Seven movies?

In no order:
    – Dead Poets Society
    – Sabrina (1954)
    – Shawshank Redemption
    – Invictus
    – Pulp Fiction
    – Apollo 13
    – Remember the Titans

34. G Money says:

Guy named Drake joins the Oilers and no ‘started from the bottom’ jokes?

godot10:
    Seven Movies:

1) Der Himmel uber Berlin (Wings of Desire)
    2) Chungking Express
    3) The Unbelievable Truth
    4) 24 Hour Party People(Honourable Mention related in subject “Control”)
    5) Choose Me
    6) Local Hero
    7) Trainspotting

Seven More Movies

8) Being There
    9) Inglourious Bastards
    10) Metropolitan
    11) The Remains of the Day
    12) Leon The Professional
    13) There Will Be Blood
    14) Lost In Translation

And what the heck…seven more.

15) Crossing Delancey
    16) My Brilliant Career
    17) Naked Lunch
    18) Inside Llewyn Davis
    19) Francis Ha
    20) Inception
    21) Crimes and Misdemeanors

That is a stunning group of movies. I love most all of them.

36. Chachi says:

8 1/2
    Orchestra Rehearsal
    Videodrome
    Taxi Driver
    Chinatown
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail

There’s my seven, or at least today’s seven. If I had to choose, the two Fellinis are probably my favorites.

38. RPG says:

Lawrence of Arabia
    Royal Tenenbaums
    Big Lebowski
    Dumb & Dumber
    Snatch/Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels

42. dustrock says:

Man you try to get different categories even in the 7, but I’ll be honest and just post the 7 movies I can always watch. A bit different from my list on Twitter.

Empire Strikes Back

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Rain Man
    12 Angry Men
    Glengarry Glen Ross
    Wall Street
    Lost Highway

Honourable Mentions ( Comedy)

Airplane
    The Naked Gun
    The Jerk
    Monty Python Holy Grail
    The Party
    Ace Ventura
    Happy Gilmore
    Galaxy Quest

43. square_wheels says:

Ex Machina
    Pulp Fiction
    Usual Suspects
    Trainspotting
    Momento
    Old Boy (Korean original)
    Unforgiven – my favourite final scene of any movie……seriously, what a perfect way to end Eastwoods western career

44. dustrock says:

Old boy is something else.

Memento is a good one for sure.

45. Centre of attention says:

G Money:
    Guy named Drake joins the Oilers and no ‘started from the bottom’ jokes?

“He signed at the bottom now he with his whole team here?” And by here I also mean the bottom.

*drops mic*

46. stevezie says:

godot10,

When I met Sam Neil I told him “My Brilliant Career” had a big impact on my life (it did). So did Jurassic Park (nightmares), but I thought he’d be more interested in talking about Career.

He mostly seemed confused as to why I was talking to him, but was nice enough about it.

47. JDï™ says:

godot10: 7) Trainspotting

Is that available with subtitles? English subtitles?

Oh man, I’m not prepared for this.

Grand Prix

Fargo

The Big Short

The Big Short (again – people really need to watch this, and realize it’s not fiction)

Matrix I

Bridge Over River Kwai

Five Graves to Cairo

American Psycho

God Bless America

Duel

Ah fer cry sakes, I’m already over… and I didn’t even get to Dirty Dancing…

48. Cahoon says:

Fight Club
    American History X
    Seven
    Eternal Sunshine of thr Spotless Mind
    Her
    Shawshank Redemption
    Schindlers List

Jmho

49. Genjutsu says:

Man some great lists of films.

My 7:

Casablanca
    Oh brother where art thou
    Fear and loathing in Las Vegas
    Life aquatic
    Hard 8
    Requiem for a dream
    Apocalypse now

50. JDï™ says:

dustrock: All Kubrick

No kidding. I didn’t even get to Eyes Wide Shut, let alone Doctor Strangelove or Here’s Johnny – and of course, 2001.

Seven is a ridiculously arbitrary number.

51. oilersfan says:

I am thrilled to see how many people have shawshank on their list.

Mine is

Shawshank
    Field of dreams
    About time
    Usual suspects
    Signs
    Lord of the rings three/return of the King
    Ghandi

52. Centre of attention says:

JDï™,

FARGO!!! Another one I forgot damnit. I love that movie, and I don’t give a damn if they are eating while talking in like every other scene 😛

Also, Armageddon is another I just remembered. Judge me all you want, but I got slightly emotional the first time I watched Bruce Willis die on that space rock there. God damnit, there go my *allergies* again. Good movie in general, Ben Affleck was great in a supporting role. Really liked Steve Buscemi’s character.

Did you like The Outsiders? I read the book before I saw the movie. I also read Rumble fish, which was another book that included some of the characters from the Outsiders universe.

53. Jaxon says:

I haven’t looked in detail yet but Cam Atkinson, JT BRown, Justin Fontaine might be good comparables for Caggiula. I’m also going to look at Matt Read, Brian Gionta, Mike Cammalleri, Jaden Schwartz, Andrew Cogliano, Kyle Palmieri, Conor Sheary, Rocco Grimaldi, Frank Vatrano, Mark Arcobello and Mark Letestu to see if I can find a few players of similar size or smaller with a similar career trajectory through NHLEs from 7 to 22 years old. Will post back in this spot when I have more info.

54. stevezie says:

dustrock,

The Mission really is great. (The others are too, but everyone knows that).

55. stevezie says:

JDï™: Is that available with subtitles? English subtitles?

Try the book. It’s like learning another language.

56. AsiaOil says:

2. Goodfellas
    3. Casablanca
    4. It’s aWonderful Life
    5. Pulp Fiction
    6. Fight Club
    7. Star Wars

Ask me tomorrow and any of these might be on the list along with a hundred others:

Swingers, Taxi Driver, Network, Magnolia, Short Cuts, American Beauty, Seven, Blade Runner, Requiem for a Dream, Ammores Perros, Midnight Cowboy, Wings of Desire, Revanche, A Perfect World, Unforgiven, The Proposition, The Lives of Others, Yojimbo, Fistful of Dollars, Last Man Standing, Lucky Slevin, the Graduate, Cool Hand Luke, Tigerland, Shwashank Redmption, Girl Interupted, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, 5 Easy Pieces, Big Fish, Forrest Gump, Little Big Man, Once Upon a Time in the West, Godfather, Usual Suspects, Winter’s Bone, Affliction, Sweet Hereafter, Frozen River, Snow Angels, Ordinary People, Imaginary Heroes, The Ice Storm, Igby goes Down, Head-On, Broken Wings, Happiness, Irresversible, a History of Violence, Hud, Falling Down, Run Lola Run, Fargo, Down the Road, Cop Land, Get Low, City of God, Slumdog Millionaire, Cinema Paradiso, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, Giant, The Straight Story, Thre Burials of Melquiadas Estrada, One-Eyed Jacks, The Shootist, Brick, Gangs of New York, Leon: The Profesisonal, Mud, Joe, Once Were Warriors, Princess Bride, Cable Guy, The Last Supper.

58. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention: Did you like The Outsiders?

Haven’t seen that one, but I’m making a list from tonight’s blog.

I really didn’t watch many movies before the mid 90s, and Fargo was one that just captivated me on so many levels. Stupid pathetic criminals, simple, down-home Dakotans, beautiful photography, twisted plot line, endearing accents, a pregnant police chief.

Many people hate it though, but that’s okay. “We stop at pancakes house” or “Hon? The prowler needs a jump”, isn’t dialogue for everyone.

JDï™: Haven’t seen that one, but I’m making a list from tonight’s blog.

Love that movie. I could live in Brainerd, no problem.

60. JDï™ says:

Jaxon: Short Cuts

Was trying to think of the name of that one a while ago, thanks!

Also, Boiler Room. “More wood than Ron Jeremy…”

stevezie: Try the book. It’s like learning another language.

But I’m still struggling with this first language after 50 years!

Also, should have mentioned pretty much anything with Peter Sellers or Kevin Spacey.

61. bendelson says:

Chachi:
    Seven Movies:

1) Beethoven
    2) Beethoven’s 5th
    3) Beethoven’s 3rd
    4) Beethoven’s 4th
    5) Citizen Kane
    6) Beethoven’s 2nd
    7) Beethoven’s Big Break

Ridiculous. Everyone knows Charles Grodin carried the Beethoven franchise.

62. JDï™ says:

Pouzar: I hate movies.

I’ve saved the best suggestion for you:

200 Motels

63. JDï™ says:

It’s strange that nobody posted the Fast and the Furious septology in their list.

Looking at you, GMo…

64. rickithebear says:

I allays pick by my favourite actors
    1. Sargent York/Pride of the Yankees/High Noon
    2. The April fools/the apartment/Irma Ladouce/How to murder your wife
    3. My name is nobody/Jezebel/Mr. Roberts
    4. Guess who’s coming to dinner/ In the heat of the night/Lilies of the Feild/To Sir with Love
    5. Lawrence of Arabia/Winters lion
    6. Strangelove/The Party/ BeingThere
    7. The Deer hunter/Goodfellas/Taxi driver
    8. Star Wars/blade Runner/

65. GCW_69 says:

On Twitter I picked:

Die Hard
    Star Wars
    Terminator 2
    Star Trek First Contact
    Marvel’s Avengers
    When Harry Met Sally
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    #fav7films

But a realize I missed Presumed Innocent, War of the Roses, and Dead Poets Society. Staying to seven is tough. Going to agonize over how to turn that ten into seven.

Honorable mentions to: Dark knight, Taken, Ladykillers, Ocean’s Eleven, Bourne Supremacy, Collateral, Highlander, Deadpool, inception, and Serenity.

66. Chachi says:

bendelson: Ridiculous.Everyone knows Charles Grodin carried the Beethoven franchise.

I am more of a Bonnie Hunt guy myself, but Grodin is pretty great.

67. Woogie63 says:

This comment, surprises me. We over value the new guy all the time.

Last year Ray Ferreo said Sleppy would be ready to play quickly , and he struggled.

Khaira played in 25 NHL games and did very well.

Pitlick came with much promise and struggled, I can’t find the quote but in the second year in the AHL he said he thought now he was strong enough to handle the puck effectively down low.

Until we see 30 games the undrafted rookie is on the bottom of the depth chart.

68. Revolved says:

Woogie63,

Agreed. Much the same as expecting Puljujarvi to replace Yak. Caggiula is not 20, but I would still be happy with anything over 0.5 ppg as an AHL rookie.

As for 7 movies, I will go with:

Alphaville
    Persona
    Pulp Fiction
    Dr.Strangelove
    The Big Lebowski
    The Royal Tenenbaums
    The Trial

There are some amazing lists up here. What a community!

69. OF17 says:

Woogie63,

What is this, hockey talk???

70. Woogie63 says:

OF17,

Ha, it is the middle of August, in the middle of the night …I thought this blog was for the die hard ….

71. theDjdj says:

stevezie: My Brilliant Career

and
    godot10,

Are either of you Australian? I don’t think I’ve seen mention of My Brilliant Career outside of Australia. Weird to see it mentioned favourably twice on a Hockey site. Like some one loving the Castle.

My fondest memory of Sam Neil (other than being so scared in Jurassic Park I cowered between the sticky cinema chairs) is a television mini-series called Merlin. Nobody ever remembers but it really was (and is) quite terrific. Probably the best modern telling of the tale.

Top 7 movies (not necessarily the best, just my favourite):
    Gladiator
    Shawshank Redemption
    Superbad
    Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
    The Godfather
    Spirited Away
    Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark

Substitute: Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

72. Pouzar says:

Lowetide: I could live in Brainerd, no problem.

Awesome golf trail.

73. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Centre of attention:

I realise it’s super late for me to be commenting on this, but it needs to be done as I’ve seen a bunch of comments like this.

Please keep in mind I like this player.

10 goals and 15 assists in 40 games is the full season equivalent of 51 points.

Henrik Zetterberg led the red wings in scoring last year with an even 50 in a full 82 games. Datsyuk’s PPG pace was better (49pts in 66gp, a 61 point pace).

You are basically saying “reasonable” is #1 or #2 scorer on a playoff bubble team. This for a guy that probably won’t get a whole lot of power play time.

That seems optimistic.

40 points is a lot for a non top line player in the current NHL. It’s actually quite an accomplishment. Heck 30 points out of a 3rd liner is pretty darn good.

But you are saying he sticks on a skill line. Cool.

Still, let’s assume Lucic, McDavid, Eberle, Draisaitl, RNH are all better forwards than him. Then let’s assume 1 of those guys (RNH) has a down year and Drake outscores him. Let’s also assume 1 of those guys is hurt all year. 51 points makes him the 4th highest scoring forward.

That’s better than the 4th highest scoring forward on most teams. Better than the Sharks. Better than the Lightning.

It’s Capitals (Williams/Oshie) Stars (Sharp) or Penguins (Hornqvist) level of production. He’d probably win the Calder, or come close.

74. Justthestatsman says:

I don’t watch many movies, but I think any list that doesn’t include Young Frankenstein is incomplete. I could picture any one of the previous Oiler brain trust(s) playing the Gene Wilder stuck in the secret entrance bit saying “put the candle back!”

75. SwedishPoster says:

A lot of fantastic movies already mentioned but a surprising lack of the classic but perhaps more pretentious choices like the stuff from Kurosawa and (yes it’s fair to call bias) Bergman. Pretentious picks or not movies like Seven Samurai and The Seventh Seal, to stay with the 7 theme, are exceptional movies. When I started watching Seven Samurai the first time I was pretty young and the sort of crappy sound and unclear black and white picture turned me off a bit at first but after a few minutes I was completely drawn in by the story. Great, intense movie.
    And the Seventh Seal has some of the best dialogue ever written, at least the original dialogue, don’t know how well it translates.

Pretty impossible to rank seven movies but I love a lot of the choices above. Donnie Darko is a good one. Lost in Translation ofc. Bill Murray is (almost) always a treat. Zombieland is a nice one with him as well, Emma Stone man. Tenenbaums. And that’s just getting stuck on Murray. Yeah it’s hard to make a list. And this thread is probably nearly dead so I won’t go on.

76. maxwell_mischief says:

The Cook, The Thief , His Wife and Her Lover
    Paper Moon
    The Fall
    Scarface
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya
    Mrs. Doubtfire
    Spring Breakers

77. maxwell_mischief says:

Revolved,

Persona… the ingmar bergman film?
    almost made my list too

78. maxwell_mischief says:

Mr DeBakey,

The Drop! a hidden gem

79. Jaxon says:

Here is the comparables I’ve compiled for Drake. After reviewing the numbers of players who went through the college system and who are similar in size to Drake, I think his closest comparables are JT Brown, Cam Atkinson and Justin Fontaine. Palmieri comparisons also pop up in interesting spots. Drake looks like he has developed better than players like Letestu, Read and Sheary. Drake also falls short of comparisons to Gaudreau (obviously), Cammalleri, Gionta, Cogliano, and Schwartz.

If he can keep pace with Cam Atkinson, then the Oilers have a great player on their hands. Atkinson spent his Draft+5 season mostly in the AHL, then jumped to the NHL with paces of 42, 42, 42 and 54 pts in his last 4 seasons. His AHL NHLE pace was 43 points. Atkinson has certainly been consistent and has been a coveted player mentioned in many Oiler fan trade proposals in the past few years.

If he develops like JT Brown he will be a useful depth player. Brown spent his Draft+5 season in the AHL and has since played his last 3 seasons in the NHL with paces of 25, 14, 23.

Justin Fontaine took a bit longer than the rest. He spent another season in college and 2 more seasons mostly in the AHL before finally playing in the NHL in his Draft+8 season. His first 3 seasons he scored at paces of 26, 36 and 22.

I think we can hope for Atkinson but be satisfied with a solid depth player if he becomes Brown or Fontaine. Notice none of his close comparables played their first season after college mostly in the NHL. They all needed some AHL time first. Atkinson and Brown both played 51 AHL games. Brown did not play any NHL games in his draft+5 season while Atkinson made it into 27 games where he scored 7 goals and 7 assists (43 point pace, notice a pattern?). Both Brown and Atkinson also split their time in their Draft+6 Seasons, but both played more NHL games than AHL games. In their Draft+7 seasons they became full time NHLers.

Link:

80. ChewbaccasBarber says:

No special order.

1. 5th element
    2. Memento
    3. The adventures of Buckaroo Banzai…
    4. Big trouble little china
    5. Quigly down under (Dingo ate my baby Roy!)
    6. Kung fu hustle
    7. Zatoichi (2003)

81. Skeeziks says:

Casablanca (Bogart and Bergman)
    Godfather (Brando)
    The Thin Man (Powell and Loy)
    The African Queen (Bogart and Hepburn)
    The Sting (Newman and Redford)
    Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (Tracy and Hepburn)
    To Have and to Have Not (Bogart and Bacall)
    Honorable Mention – Great Escape, Schindler’s List, Bridges of Madison County, The Thomas Crowne Affair