RE 16-17 IIRO PAKARINEN: HOME FOR A REST

Iiro Pakarinen was signed as a free agent in June of 2014. His big break may have come the following summer, when Edmonton hired Todd McLellan as head coach. Although Pakarinen began the 2015-16 season in the minors, he made it to the NHL early enough to play in 63 games with the Oilers. Is he part of the future? (Home For a Rest)

IIRO PAKARINEN 2015-16

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.16 (No. 9 among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: 5.86 (in 20 minutes)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 46.0%
  • Qual Comp: 8th toughest competition among regulars (third line)
  • Qual Team: 12th best teammates among regulars (fourth line)
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: -8.9%
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 76 shots/6.6%
  • Boxcars: 63GP, 5-8-13

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

VOLLMAN RW

RE 16-17: 36GP, 2-2-4 .111

1. Ouch! Oilers have improved their roster depth since last fall. There are other players on the game board.
  2. Why so few games projected for him? A year ago, Andrew Miller (6GP, 0-0-0) got a look but was unsatisfactory in the role. Pakarinen was injured out of camp, but when he showed well in Bakersfield he got a look. He won the job.
  3. And then? He has good speed, has reasonable size (6.01, 215) and some skill. He played well enough to stay in the lineup most of the season.
  4. Not a lot of skill, though.  Well, there is a pretty good story here. Playing with Anton Lander, he was 50 percent in possession and has a 1.19 5×5 per-60 scoring rate with him. Lander was not exactly an offensive dynamo and the young Finn chimed three times when on the ice with him. If he had a more substantial center for a year? Maybe. I think the addition of Jesse Puljujarvi may force him off the roster, eventually.
  5. Will we see him in a feature role next season? My RE bet is no, but he has a puncher’s chance to hang around all year.
  6. Who is ahead of him? On RW (his best chance), I have Jordan Eberle, Leon (as required), Nail Yakupov, Jesse Puljujarvi, Zack Kassian.
  7. Long list. Not really. He should make opening night roster based on what we know (he is probably 5R now, and that is if Puljujarvi makes the team).
  8. Who is behind him? A-ha. That is where it gets interesting. Peter Chiarelli added Taylor Beck and Drake Caggiula, plus Tyler Pitlick returned and Anton Slepyshev won a RW job out of training camp a year ago.
  9. Ten RWs will play this coming season? Potentially. Of course, it is cheating a little, as Leon is a center and Caggiula is listed as a LW. There are a lot of options and far less certainty than port side or center.
  10. How many do you have playing more games than your Pakarinen RE? Eberle, Leon (also a C), Nail, Puljujarvi, Kassian.
  11. What is the best thing about him? Pakarinen is very aggressive on a team that can be passive at times. I don’t know if he can play NHL hockey successfully, but bet your bottom dollar his coach loves a lot of the aggression in his game.
  12. Coach likes him? Oh yeah. McLellan: “We were all over the map trying to find players and trying to motivate guys, but Pak wasn’t one of them. I put him right wing, left wing, power play, penalty kill. He was very effective.” Source
  13. What does he need to work on? Defensive play (this applies to all the kids).
  14. Is he a kid? No, but he is a prospect—or more accurately, a recently-graduated one. Pakarinen has the coach’s confidence—that is a big deal.
  15. Is he talented enough? Difficult question. I think there are 50 AHL players who are as good as the bottom 50 players in the NHL. I think Puljujarvi is in that pool, a place where luck and coaching confidence are a big damned deal.
  16. What one thing will keep him from have a productive NHL career? I’m not sure the young man can score enough to beat out the oncoming rush. He could have a significant 3line career if 15 goals were achievable each year—I just don’t know if he can score 15 on a 3line. My guess would be unlikely.
  17. You like him? Yes. I don’t like him like vanilla ice cream or sex or CR or that feeling you get on the first truly chilly morning in fall, but I like him.
  18. Good grief. Just stick to the facts. Give me an example of why you like him. Here is an LT summary from one of his games:  Iiro Pakarinen had a helluva game, scoring one, assisting on another, hitting everything in sight and moving up and down the lineup like Casey Candaele in 1987. He was (Corsi events) 8-2 with Letestu, 8-4 with Kassian, 3-6 with Lander, 3-2 with Hendricks, 0-1 with Hall, 1-4 with Eberle, 2-1 with Draisaitl, 2-0 with Purcell, 1-0 with Yakupov and 0-0 with Pouliot but did play 28 seconds with him (these are all evens Corsi events).
  19. Wow. Impressive. Yes. And rare. That is our issue.
  20. If you had to bet, will he make it? He has already made it. Scott Cullen’s draft work tells us that Pakarinen had a 10 percent chance of playing in 100 NHL games based on his draft pedigree. He is at 80 games now, and should hit 100 during the 2016-17 season. He will be a made man by the time you go shopping for your Valentine.
  21. How much does Kassian have to do with Pakarinen’s future? Hmmm. Good question.
  22. Do you have an answer? I think Peter Chiarelli teams have more Kassians and Todd McLellan teams have more Pakarinens. Kassian is a better Kassian than Pakarinen is a Pakarinen, so the edge goes to Kassian here.
  23. Truly, you have a dizzying intellect. Wait till I get going!
  24. Who is the closest comparable to Pakarinen in the system? Bah! Mahdoton! I will say this: Pakarinen has Tyler Pitlick’s job. Bigly.
  25. Why this song? I asked my brain to find the most Finnish song and this was what it said. Fun song, fun player. No matter how this turns out, it is already a great story.

56 Responses to "RE 16-17 IIRO PAKARINEN: HOME FOR A REST"

1. LadiesloveSmid says:

Always found this song to have a very ship/pirate-y feel to it.

are his PK numbers strong? I feel like I’ve seen ricki post about him being a good PKer but could be wrong. Wouldn’t surprise me if Beck were to beat him out

LadiesloveSmid:
    Always found this song to have a very ship/pirate-y feel to it.

3. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: I am no expert on 4×5, but my favorite toyin this area is Corsi for 4×5/rel. Iiro is worst among forwards with 25 or more minutes

Corsi For on the penalty kill? Interesting/

4. Kepler62 says:

Number 23!! Woo!

Bruce McCurdy: Corsi For on the penalty kill? Interesting/

As with all things, the more years, the better. Benny Pouliot has a pretty nice number

6. Wild Bill Hunter says:

BTW according to every source I can find he is 215 lb. not 205.

7. DBO says:

Love that song. university all over again.

23. Truly, you have a dizzying intellect. Wait till I get going!
    – such an awesome and underrated movie. So good.

Interesting thing is Pak could be our Pisani or our Pitlick. Pisani took along time to develop. But I wonder if he is just too much of a tweener to stick once Puljarvi plays in the bigs.

8. LMHF#1 says:

He’s a nice extra player to have because every now and again he’ll just fire a shot into the net. Glad to have him around as a fill-in.

9. spoiler says:

Home for a Rest… Practically the national anthem for Canadians abroad.

Pakarinen really has a Swiss army knife feel about him. And as LMHF points out above, he has a willingness to shoot from anywhere below the top of the circles, and a decent shot at that.

He’s kind of like what Slepyshev was advertised to be.

CorsiFor seems like a strange stat to use for PK eval, LT. Why would you not use Corsi Against rates rel to the team?

10. spoiler says:

DBO: – such an awesome and underrated movie. So good.

True, but it’s hard to claim a movie with such enduring popularity is underrated.

11. Centre of attention says:

Sorry for the ensuing rant, but I have to get this out of my system:

Pakarinen is a fine fourth liner. He is replacement level talent, so let him do his thing and eventually be replaced. People who crucify these types of players and question why they are on their favorite team are silly. When you look around, every team has a Pakarinen. A guy with not great corsi, scores a goal every 3 weeks or so and rattles the boards.

Its just a player type some of the math types need to live with. Pakarinen is not sub-hockey like Korpikoski, he is simply a fourth line forward. No more, no less.

He shouldn’t be on Nuges line, but to exclaim he should be out of the NHL is a little bit much. If you use that logic, you can then say a good 25% of all NHL players don’t deserve jobs because they don’t look good on your math spread sheets, but teams will still employ them because they have to fill roster spots. That’s what happens when you keep expanding, the talent pool gets diluted and more Pakarinens are needed to fill the ranks.

“Hate the (state of the) game, not the player”

/rant

12. LadiesloveSmid says:

would HDSCA be useful for evaluating PKers? Don’t know where I’d find it without war on ice

13. Pouzar says:

Jimmy Murphy Retweeted
    Mark Divver ‏@MarkDivver Aug 17
    A pair of well-connected sources point to Edm & Van as possible destinations for Northeastern free agent Matt Benning, a former Bruins pick.

spoiler:

CorsiFor seems like a strange stat to use for PK eval, LT.Why would you not use Corsi Against rates rel to the team?

CorsiFor percentage RelTeam gives (imo) a better view. I think it allows us to reward players (like Marian Hossa) who are good at keeping the puck far from danger.

Now, I claim no expertise in this area and am certain others have far better takes, but I like my Corsi percentage RelTeam. 🙂

LadiesloveSmid:

XGF and all its variants at corsica.hockey is best.

I think Manny is adding scoring chances too, but the Expected Goals is pure gold.

So for 4v5 I like: RelxGA/60

Make sure to account for TOI/60

Players who play 1PK play against the best.

17. Centre of attention says:

To add to my above rant, think of it this way:

At least the Oilers didn’t have to spend a high second round pick (or several) in order to have Pakarinen on their roster. (lol) The Oilers have spent a ridiculous amount of assets trying to develop or acquire equivalent players to what Pakarinen brings. We got him for just money. That is what I call a win.

Heck, if Korpikoski was making 750K and playing on my fourth line rather than my top nine, I would have no problem with him on my roster. The problem is when you pay that type of guy 2+ million dollars with term, and then play him consistently in the top 9.

Again, hate the state of the game, not the player™

18. Centre of attention says:

Ok I was scrolling threw Pakarinens WOWY’s and I rescind my comment on Korpi @ 750k. He is sub hockey.

Pakarinen With Korpikoski: 42.1 CF%

Pakarinen Without Korpikoski: 47.4 CF%

Korpi was so bad, he brought Paka-fuckin’-rinen down. I think when Dellow showed that one to Peter, it was the last straw and lead to Korpses buyout haha. One last favor before parting soon after I guess.

19. dustrock says:

LT I was with you the whole way until “shopping for Valentine’s.”

20. Ice Sage says:

These so-called (long Oiler) vacations will soon be my death

21. G Money says:

I listened to the show just now and got a major hoot out of how much grief LT gave WG … especially considering that at the moment, I’m taking a course from MongoDB to ensure I’m using the technology right and not taking a big performance hit (critical for both the site and the WOWYs) due to silly mistakes in usage.

Which means as far as the WoodMoneys go, I haven’t done a damn thing for several weeks … glorious…

Now you’ll excuse me as I have to pack for a(nother) trip to the cabin this weekend!

22. G Money says:

Centre of attention,

I’d say that’s right.

The thing is, and this is vastly more true of Korpse than of Hero, you can’t have a third and fourth line that gives away everything your top two lines earn.

If your third and fourth lines can simply break even against their own level of opposition, and hold the fort without too much damage done when facing higher comp, then they’re doing their job. (You’d like it so one or both could do more than their job, but at least doing their job is a minimum).

I think most of the last few years, the Oilers third and fourth lines have not been doing their jobs.

Korpse was a big part of the problem. I wouldn’t want him back even at league minimum, he was such a huge drag on the team.

Hero was not the problem, it’s true, but I’m not sure he’s the solution either.

I’m OK with him for cheap depth, but I think if you’re putting him out there for anything other than occasional 4th line shifts, there’s a real risk that you’re not a good team!

We don’t need great players on these lines (by definition, they can’t be), but I do think we need better than we’ve had.

23. Centre of attention says:

G Money,

I think there is a bigger drop from the third to fourth lines than the second to third lines. I classify forwards as “Top 9” and the fourth line (AKA: cold left overs).

Similar to how there is a big drop from the second pair to the third (among D). That drop is definitely more pronounced in defensemen though.

I think Pakarinen if he spends time away from Korpi will show better. As I showed in the WOWY, without Korpse Pakarinen was almost breaking even with anyone else. 47.4% is not awful for a fourth liner. What are his dangerous fenwick fancies like btw?

LT mentioned as well that there was an interesting story with him and Lander, they sawed off exactly. Which is what you say you want from your fourth line.

And I also agree (and said in my rant) that Pakarinen is a passable 4th line forward. Nothing more, nothing less. If you want to look at it this way, not only did we get him for free, but he also kicked the sh*t out of our existing prospects in the AHL on his way to earning the coaches trust. That is no small feat.

24. Ryan says:

Pouzar:
    Jimmy Murphy RetweetedMark Divver ‏@MarkDivverAug 17

All the GM’s relatives who play hockey are belong to us. 🙂

25. Ryan says:

Ice Sage:
    These so-called (long Oiler) vacations will soon be my death

Try House of Cards. It’s working for me.

26. G Money says:

Centre of attention,

His DFF% with Lander was 42%. Looking at the way the raw numbers get adjusted by danger, the big hit that the two together take from the 50% raw number is primarily loss of danger on the attacking side.

One reason I guess why Lander couldn’t score – wasn’t very dangerous, and when he did get a deadly chance, he either muffed it or he got stoned by the goalie.

If that seems bad, Iiro the Hero’s DFF with Korpse was 32%!

27. Centre of attention says:

Ryan: All the GM’s relatives who play hockey are belong to us.

Peter Chiarelli: “If you don’t give us Tanev and ONLY Tanev, we’re sending Benning to Alaska of the AHL!! Muhahahahahaa!!”

Keith Gretzky: “I think they actually changed the rules…”

Peter Chiarelli: “Shut up he’s on the line!…Sorry what was that Jim?”

Jim Benning: “No way my nephew plays out of the spotlight in Alaska, how will he ever make the NHL?… Does Tanev and a second work? I really hate trading second round picks but if you insist on having one…”

Peter Chiarelli: “I never asked for….you know what never mind I owe that rat fink Sweeney a second round pick anyways so hand it over.”

28. BONE207 says:

Yes…Sex & CR. I prefer chocolate myself but 2 out of 3 ain’t bad. Pakarinen reminds me of Curt Brackenbury in the way he seems without brakes heading in to forecheck. I hope only good things Iiro.

29. Centre of attention says:

G Money:
    Centre of attention,

His DFF% with Lander was 42%.Looking at the way the raw numbers get adjusted by danger, the big hit that the two together take from the 50% raw number is primarily loss of danger on the attacking side.

If that seems bad, Iiro the Hero’s DFF with Korpse was 32%!

Yeah if you look at comparables across the league, lots of fourth liners are in 40-45 DFF% range. He’s not going to be a game breaker, I even referred to him as replacement level.

But everytime people *coughWoodGuycough* get on the radio or twitter and start belly aching about Pakarinen I get slightly annoyed. There are better and more important things to belly ache about with this team. Pakrinen is problem number 1 million on a list of a million things that are wrong with this team (sorted by importance) Lol.

30. G Money says:

Ryan,

I’m binge watching Season 6 of Walking Dead, which if you think about it, is just like watching Rebuild 6 of the Oilers.

31. Water Fire says:

Lander – nobody gets to have zeros in the boxcars. If you can’t score you had better be hitting, blocking shots and PKing in a big way. Lots of no hands players a lot bigger to choose from.

I say this having been waiting for Anton but it’s time to get better and players that don’t want to do what they need to, to do something at all, anything something helpful, need to go to the FLames or Canucks.

Score like Warren Beatty in the 70’s or hit and battle and make the opponent hang his head when he knows you’re playing or you won’t be an Oiler anymore.

32. Centre of attention says:

Water Fire:

Agreed, Lander needs to find a niche. Right now he’s got faceoffs, and that’s about it. I seriously think Korpikoski leeched the scoring out of Lander and then channled that energy into a hat trick on Glenn Sather night forever cementing his place in the top nine.

Thank the Gords that Peter Chiarelli took Dellows advice on Korpse, it’s really the only answer. If Chiarelli asked the coach, he would of got this answer and this is an actual quote from McLellan:

“He’s done a good job in a lot of the areas we’ve asked him to compete in … penalty kill, he can play physically and defensively. Most of his minutes are defensive-oriented. He’s not getting a lot of offensive scoring chances. He’ll probably give up more than he gets because of those situations”

33. Ryan says:

G Money:
    Ryan,

34. Centre of attention says:

Water Fire:

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports Jul 29
    The #Canucks showed marginal interest in free agent Lauri Korpikoski, kicked tires with his agent.

SO close!

1130 sports is reliable. Tipped off week or so before Cagguila signing that Edmonton was likely destination barring last minute collapse. Worth a follow if you want Pacific division news and rumors.

Centre of attention: Agreed, Lander needs to find a niche. Right now he’s got faceoffs, and that’s about it.

36. Water Fire says:

Centre of attention: Also, according to some sources, the Canucks kicked tires on Korpikoski during free agency.

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130SportsJul 29

SO close!

Cheers, I hope he lands close to home!

37. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: The one area Lander is going to be in trouble (imo) is speed. Edmonton now employs quite a few wingers who are not burners, Anton is not the fastest skater. I do think he was in an insane amount of bad luck a year ago, surely the Hockey Gods will reward him this time.

Lander could still take draws as 4th line LW, and that lets Letestu be more aggressive on his draws, because it doesn’t really matter if he gets thrown out. Maybe the matchup is another righty and Todd feels like Lander as a lefty on his strong side is better for this particular D-zone draw? These types of things matter to experienced coaches, believe it or not. Khaira would make a decent 4th line LW for the same reason. Being a winger doesn’t exclude you from taking face offs, especially when you play for Todd McLellan.

Centre of attention: Run him 4 LW with Letestu, and give them a shooter on the right side like Pakrinen (or Pitlick). They could do some work I bet, and not just run around in their own zone. I think on LW he wont have to go down low so often (so less skating in general) and he will be able to create a little bit more.

So, move Hendricks out? I am not against it, but that would be his slot imo.

39. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: So, move Hendricks out? I am not against it, but that would be his slot imo.

*edit* so, my answer is yes. Move hendricks out and get a draft pick. Heck, you would be surprised what a character guy like Hendricks can fetch you on the open market. Nashville got a future Vezina nominee for Hendricks! (crying inside)

Centre of attention: You would save some considerable cheddar too. Like performance bonus cheddar. Catch my drift?

41. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: No.

A million bucks doesn’t seem like a lot until it is the million stopping you from improving your team. Just my opinion. Plus, maybe you get a 3rd round pick for Hendricks.

Centre of attention: Well by moving out hendricks and replacing him with Lander on 4LW you would save money on the salary cap, about a million bucks right? That million bucks could go towards our performance bonus issue RE: Reinhart/Puljujarvi etc etc.

43. OF17 says:

Hendricks is getting older, but I think he still brings more than Lander. Better offense, grittier play, better faceoffs, similar xGF% (but 20 points better in actual GF%). Not out of the question Lander wins the job, but he’ll need to improve to do so. I bet Hendricks fetches a 3rd or a 4th at the deadline if we play him too. He’s the type of guy teams love to trade for before a playoff run.

Ryan: When that runs out, I would suggest Sons of Anarchy, White Collar, Suits, then H o C.

“The Americans” on FX is the best series on TV, IMHO.

45. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: Yes, although a guy like Hendricks may not have high value now—could change at the deadline. Lander SHOULD be able to wrestle a job from Hendricks (placing the veteran in the pressbox as soon as opening night). That would be a solid result, in terms of team building.

So NOW you catch my drift? Haha.

Wait…that was just a fart. My bad.

The ball is in Lander’s court, he needs to grab it and dunk on the competition. Hendricks’ ankle is bound to give out after even one more blocked slap shot, once the ankle goes the skating goes. And once Hendricks’ skating goes, what does he have over Lander? Both are smart players.

As I said, Khaira could be an (even cheaper) option too. Plenty of competition for the 4th line this year, which is a good thing. Beck is another option that is not talked about enough. Beck plays both wings, regularly migrating between the two. So he could be a solution for LW or RW technically.

Both Khaira and Beck are cheaper than Hendricks, and possibly could give you the same result. It’s the circle of life.

46. Centre of attention says:

OF17: That million bucks doesn’t do anything unless they sign a guy like Hudler with it. Otherwise, what’s the point? It’s not like they’re going to acquire a $4 million player at the deadline, which would cost about a million bucks in absolute terms.

It’s always a good idea to have flexibility.

47. OF17 says:

Centre of attention: Maybe that million bucks is stopping them from signing James Wizniewski because of performance bonus concerns?

It’s always a good idea to have flexibility.

Brennan Klak
    ‏@nhlupdate

Not sure if out there for #Oilers fans but the team is inviting Dallas Valentine and Kayle Doetzel to rookie camp (in addition to A. Irving)

49. Centre of attention says:

OF17: Only way it makes sense is if there actually is a Wisniewski move that needs another $1 million in space to work. Otherwise, all it does is make our depth worse.

Well, my point stands. We need to lower our overall cap hit anyways. The way it works right now one of our significant prospects is blocked due to salary cap implications, and that’s not good anyway you cut it. Someone gets sick, can’t play a couple nights, we can’t bring up Reinhart even if hes the best D in Bakersfield next year simply because his cap hit. Imagine the same problem but with Puljujarvi?

It’s not a situation you want to find yourself in. The Leafs weren’t able to use the Marlies as much in 2015 because of those exact same problems. They were at (or technically way over with LTIR) the salary cap for much of 2015, and couldn’t call up their players with significant bonus’s. Lots of people think its because they were being slow played, but in reality they just couldn’t afford it haha.

50. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: Kayle Doetzel

Bring ALL the Right-Shot D! Seriously. All of them.

51. Ducey says:

Pak was 9th on the Oilers in 5 x 5 p/60 at 1.16. Yak was 8th at 1.35.

Yak is supposed to be the 1st line RW. Pak apparently isn’t an NHL player.

And the coach doesn’t know what he is doing?

52. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Brennan Klak
    ‏@nhlupdate

What’s Dallas Valentine’s real name? Because that’s clearly his porn name.

Ducey:
    Pak was 9th on the Oilers in 5 x 5 p/60 at 1.16. Yak was 8th at 1.35.

Yak is supposed to be the 1st line RW. Pak apparently isn’t an NHL player.

And the coach doesn’t know what he is doing?

I didn’t say any of that.

54. russ99 says:

I like Pak at LW and Beck at RW.

But then again, I think they really need to give Puljujarvi AHL adjustment time and also think Draisaitl should be at RW.

55. spoiler says:

Lowetide: CorsiForpercentage RelTeam gives (imo) a better view. I think it allows us to reward players (like Marian Hossa) who are good at keeping the puck far from danger.

Ahh, you didn’t say percentage the first time, just CF, I get you now.