SETTING FREE THE BEARS

Peter Chiarelli’s Bruinization of the Oilers roster over the spring and summer has us looking at a different depth chart across the organization’s pro levels. At this point every summer, I check the roster for balance, realize it is not yet there, and then decide whether or not to rave on about a three-for-one trade that never comes.

Today, let’s assume there is no cavalry coming for this roster, let’s agree Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan are satisfied with going to war with this group. For me, the best way to make this roster work is to have Nail Yakupov play on the top line, and to have Brandon Davidson play RH side on defense. I suggested Nail on the 1line about one month ago:

• Lowetide: Nail Yakupov on the McDavid line will not happen—but I think it should, at least until there is some legit trade value. Look, I get the issue with Nail, he makes many brain fart moves. He is a prime example of a player who has one year’s experience four times—as opposed to having four years experience. I look at it from the Oilers pov—they need three lines who can produce, and Nail can produce with McDavid. Source

OILERS 2016-17 (PROJECTED)

OILERS PROJECTED ROSTER AUG 17

• I think Klefbom—Larsson pairing should be a good one, health permitting. I am a big believer in Klefbom and smarter people than me believe Larsson is bona fide. Sekera—Davidson may not be the ideal pairing, but Mark Fayne is there and maybe Darnell Nurse-Davidson ends up being a useful third pairing. I am telling you the defense is something I can live with at this point—if the Oilers can find a hammer from the point on the power play. Who among the forwards has the best shot and is at least passable as a defender?
  • One thing we should review about McDavid—Yakupov is the success both men had when playing together. It is easy to forget (much of their time together was early in the season) but there is legit success in these numbers.

MCDAVID YAKUPOV

• I think the Oilers have to at least consider this—not because Nail deserves it, but because it is the right thing to do. And I will tell you one more thing: The Oilers would be wise to consider running Benoit Pouliot with McDavid and Yakupov this coming season (Lucic with Nuge and Eberle). Remember, this isn’t about being fair or slotting players based on rank or merit—it is about winning damned hockey games.
  • All of that said, I think we will see Lucic-Eberle with McDavid opening night—and there is also a chance Leon plays with Nuge, same night.

CONDORS 2016-17 (PROJECTED)

bakersfield projected roster aug 17

• Among projected Condors, I would expect Oilers fans will see Laurent Brossoit, Griffin Reinhart, Jordan Oesterle, Drake Caggiula, Jujhar Khaira, Jere Sallinen, Taylor Beck, Anton Slepyshev and possibly Tyler Pitlick in the NHL this coming season.
  • We should also expect more signings based on what remains for Norfolk.

NORFOLK ADMIRALS 2016-17 (PROJECTED)

NORFOLK

• I think the ECHL is an important development league and some successful Oilers prospects (Devan Dubnyk, Brandon Davidson) spent time there. Prospects do not develop in a straight line and I think a player like Greg Chase was far better off playing in Norfolk a year ago than Kyle Platzer was sitting in Bakersfield for 20 games.

My thanks to Patrick C (a worthy follow) for this find, and our friend google translate provides us with this nugget:

• Yakimov on possibly returning to NA (after a strong season in the KHL):I’ll have to think about. Everything will depend on my game – I know now that I need to gain a foothold there.Source

Yakimov blocked a shot a week or so ago, so will be getting a delayed start to the KHL season. It is difficult to know exactly what the specifics of his situation are, but historically a team loaning players to another league is a tell. Teemu Hartikainen would be a recent Oilers example of this type of transaction, and we have yet to see the fabulous Finn on an NHL roster since he left. The smart bet is that Yakimov is gone baby gone.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A fun show this morning, plenty of time for your texts and input. TSN1260, 10am, scheduled to appear:

• Darcy McLeod, Because Oilers. Yak City, Puljujarvi, we might discuss defense.
  • Don Landry, CFL.ca and DonLandry.com. A big week in the CFL, we will discuss.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter.

84 Responses to "SETTING FREE THE BEARS"

1. dustrock says:

LT I assume Lucic-RNH-Eberle gets the toughs?

2. Jethro Tull says:

“Lowetide: Nail Yakupov on the McDavid line will not happen—but I think it should, at least until there is some legit trade value. Look, I get the issue with Nail, he makes many brain fart moves. He is a prime example of a player who has one year’s experience four times—as opposed to having four years experience. I look at it from the Oilers pov—they need three lines who can produce, and Nail can produce with McDavid. Source”

So, what’s the difference between ‘gifting ice-time to players who aren’t ready/haven’t earned it’ and ‘we need him to play well to bolster his trade value’.

I posted the other day. I think the ‘pump and dump’ has never existed. It’s a narrative. I should know, I’ve followed a few! Here’s why:

If Yak succeeds with McDavid, everybody’s happy happy. No need to trade him. RW fixed.

If he doesn’t, congratulations, you’ve just wasted real game time that could have gone to someone who could do something with it, on what some GMs suspected. This may well have cost you games, too. Good luck getting anything for him now. And coupled to the fact that everyone and their dog (squirrels/60) has an analytic department now, and the other teams know if it’s the McDavid effect or Yak’s doing it for himself.

Analytics has, in fact, killed the ‘pump and dump’, just as video killed the radio star.

3. Jaxon says:

Back on my hobby horse: Joey LaLeggia. thye need to give him more at-bats in Bakersfield. With the Oilers potenitally needing a PP QB, he is the most likely candidate on their roster. His NHLe of 17 pts last season is a bit misleading. He had a stretch from November to Ferburary where he scored 19 pts in 23 games. That works out to an NHLe of 32 points. Caveat: some of those games were on forward, but I do know that many of them were on D, I just don’t have the exact numbers. I also know that some of his time on forward was 4th line time with Braden Christoffer. Hardly a position to boost production.

If you track his career NHLes, they line up favourably with Goligoski and Vatanen, fall a bit short of Liles, and outperform Spurgeon. He is now a year or two behind them for making an NHL roster, but still producing. He deserves a chance to prove himself. Having Hunt on the team last season was just stupid. Hunt has never performed at close to the rate that LaLeggia has, and neither has Oesterle.

D Development and NHLE:

4. frjohnk says:

“•All of that said, I think we will see Lucic-Eberle with McDavid opening night—and there is also a chance Leon plays with Nuge, same night.”

How the top 9 unfolds may hinge on where JP starts the year.

If he is sent to the minors, I could see
    Lucic-McDavid-EBERLE
    Pouliot-RNH-Draisaitl
    Maroon-Lander-Yak

If JP makes the team, then that would bump Draisaitl to center and a lineup like LT suggested is very likely.

5. dessert1111 says:

Just wanted to show my enthusiasm for an idea floated a couple threads ago about an LT-led audio commentary of games to offer an alternative to the mainstream PBP announcers and such.

I think Bruce would make a hell of a colour guy, & there are many other worthy commenters in these parts that could rotate in. Not sure who would make a good PBP guy cuz that’s a different skill set, but I’m sure there are possibilities for that around too.

Anyway, if you got it off the ground, I’d listen, provided there wasn’t lag between the audio you’re doing and the visual stream I’m watching.

6. Woogie63 says:

I saw Lionel Messi live last night… At least 5 bonehead plays, never came within 40 yards of his own goal, walked/slow jogged a lot of the night…

Oh yea at least seven times the fans are out of their seats chanting his name….one assist and goal…

The city is buzzing about the great things he does, crickets on the bonehead plays.

7. frjohnk says:

Jethro Tull:

I posted the other day.I think the ‘pump and dump’ has never existed.It’s a narrative.I should know, I’ve followed a few!Here’s why:

If Yak succeeds with McDavid, everybody’s happy happy.No need to trade him.RW fixed.

If he doesn’t, congratulations, you’ve just wasted real game time that could have gone to someone who could do something with it, on what some GMs suspected. This may well have cost you games, too.Good luck getting anything for him now.And coupled to the fact that everyone and their dog (squirrels/60) has an analytic department now, and the other teams know if it’s the McDavid effect or Yak’s doing it for himself.

If the idea is to pump Yaks value so that they can trade him, they need to keep him away from McDavid. Any success Yak has as a linemate of McDavid, will be attributed to McDavid and not Yak.

Stick Yak with Draisaitl against easier competition, some PP time.

8. Jethro Tull says:

frjohnk: If the idea is to pump Yaks value so that they can trade him, they need to keep him away from McDavid.Any success Yak has as a linemate of McDavid, will be attributed to McDavid and not Yak.

Stick Yak with Draisaitl against easier competition, some PP time.

Can you give what I wrote a quick scan through again?

With analytics more prevalent than ever, ‘pump and dump’ done. It doesn’t matter who you put him with, it can be seen if he is a driver, a helper, a passenger, or the anchor from the Titanic.

If we heavily shelter him, do you think other teams will be fooled?

9. Rocknrolla says:

Would love to hear the opinion on this assumption from LT and the group.

Let’s say Cagguila, and Puljujarvi show well in camp both go down to Ahl and kill it at over 1 PPG, and around game 20 are both called back up to the oilers on full merit.

Q1, Can Cgguila play that 3C role on a softer comp and do well? Or too tough for a rookie?

Q2, In watching some Puljujarvi, with his right shot I saw some great footage of him from the WJ playing on the left side up top at the circle running the PP and shooting and passing well. Could he be that Right Shot left point PP hammer we are looking for? I know he’s a rookie but does have some defensive chops, and may be able to help there on PP1, and 3R?

Let me know if I’m way off here…ideas!

10. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I mentioned this a couple of threads ago, but if I’m Chia I’m looking to add 1 forward and 1 D from the “real NHL player that is over payed relative to production with 1 year left on a team at or near the cap” pool.

The Sharks are near the cap and only have 1 goalie on their roster. Wingels scored 18 points last year, down from the mid 30s the previous 2 years. 1 year left as a UFA. Replace him with a sub $1 million dollar player and the cap space is used to sign a goalie and allows them to grab a $5million type guy at the deadline for a cup run.

Add a Wingels type and a Streit (veteran Dman not of the Ference mold in the sense that he can still actually play hockey, albeit not at his peak level) type and you keep Nurse, Reinhart, Caggiula, JP, Khaira, etc. in Bakersfield unless they blow you out of the water at camp. You know, the way it’s supposed to work.

11. Jethro Tull says:

Flicking through the news this morning, I noticed the story about American swimmer Ryan Lochte having fled Brazil and back with his lovely girlfriend Kayla Rae Reid. I thought I’d give her a quick google to see what she looked like, purely for curiosity, you understand, when up pops a picture of her with a horse on a beach wearing an Oilers jersey. Her, not the horse. I wonder if she posts here.

12. linkfromhyrule says:

Jethro Tull: Can you give what I wrote a quick scan through again?

With analytics more prevalent than ever, ‘pump and dump’ done.It doesn’t matter who you put him with, it can be seen if he is a driver, a helper, a passenger, or the anchor from the Titanic.

If we heavily shelter him, do you think other teams will be fooled?

I think you are severely over-estimating some of the GM’s in the NHL

13. bcoil says:

The priority must be to get out of the gate and win some games and Not to show piece or inflate the value of Yak.If he earns the spot fine but it should not be handed to him .We are past that we are now into winning and putting the very best combinations on the ice every single shift.

14. DRFNsuperstar says:

Woogie63:

To be honest the only differences I see between Eberle and Yakupov are Ebs finishes his chances and looks better while making the bonehead plays. It took Eberle draft+2 to put up the same production as Yak did in his draft-1 (the oilers actually developed a first round forward correctly, holy shit!). Yak scored at a better rate than Eberle in their rookie year while being 2 years younger (0.74 and 0.62) and then the Dementor Eakins came to town and crushed a young bright eyed sophomore. In any other town (cough Montreal…cough Galchenyuk) Yak would have been paired with a couple of vets for 2 more years and given opportunities on PP1 or PP2.

Someone must have Yak’s numbers while playing with Muddle or Elites versus Gritensity (looking at you Woodmoney). So he didn’t have good chemistry with Nuge, good possession numbers with Drai, good all around numbers with Mcdavid and/or Hall, and is garbage when playing with garbage players. How many minutes has Eberle ever played with garbage players? In my opinion (lacking good numbers to back it up because I’m bad at stats) Eberle is Lionel Messi from the statement above.

15. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

On the proposed Yakupov Pump-and-Dump:

Tough thing to do. If we figure out a line combination that works for Yak and he starts to produce (let’s say a 25 goal 50 point pace) it’s going to be hard to resist the urge to keep him.

I’m hoping that Yak performs well enough to justify getting picked up in the expansion draft over Davidson/Reinhart. I’ve done the mock expansion draft a few times, and the team always comes out with reasonably good goaltending and runs about 8 deep in second pairing Dmen. What they lack is forwards who can score, so I see them being tempted by Yak’s potential if he’s not protected.

16. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

So the Oilers now lose a 1st overall to the expansion draft less than a year after trading away a 1st in a fire sale trade? Now that gives new meaning to “Because Oilers”

Not saying I disagree with your logic but letting go of a 25 goal scorer (if Yak can produce at that pace) for nothing would be beyond ugly IMO

17. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo!,

I agree.

It kinda depends on the play really. Does he have a good year because his game turns around, or does he still look like an excited puppy, with some games where he’s the best player on the ice, and the goals are due to a spike in shooting percentage and line mates?

I have no idea. I don’t want to lose the guy, I’m also not sure what he is.

But I like Davidson more. A lot more.

18. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

Oh I’m totally with you here, I was just thinking of the optics is all.

Also with LTs numbers above, how much of that was due to quality of comp? I’m a bit lazy and don’t have the wherewithal to go hunting but was CmD-Yak taking on 3rd line duties when they were together last season? If so I’m a tad nervous putting Yak on that top line to face 1/2L competition until we get a look at him in camp.

19. frjohnk says:

Jethro Tull: Can you give what I wrote a quick scan through again?

If we heavily shelter him, do you think other teams will be fooled?

Whats Yaks value right now?

pretty low around the league.

If the Oilers want to keep it low, they stick Yak with Letestu and figure a way to bring back Korpikoski on the other wing.

If Yak has success away from McDavid with Draisaitl, he will be given some of the credit as the verbal would be “Yak is finally showing signs that made him the 1st overall pick” compared to ” Yak is just having success because he is McDavids line mate.

If teams are using analytics then they would know that if Yak is placed with a skilled center but not against the toughs he can have success.

20. Klima's_Bucket says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

Pittsburgh will be looking to shed some salary too.
    Eric Fehr perhaps?

21. Yeti says:

Woogie63,

That was a pre-season friendly, right? Messi doesn’t really play like that when the games get real.
    But the point is well taken: Oilers need to find Yak a place where he can play to his strengths and cover his weaknesses. Putting him with the dregs is not that place. I agree with LT’s main idea. Playing Yak with McDavid is the way to start the season.

22. Klima's_Bucket says:

dessert1111,

I’ll do PxP.

Where do I send my demo tape?

milkmanunlimited.com

23. flea says:

SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo!:
    Ca$h-McMoney!,

It would suck to lose him for nothing, for sure. But they can’t protect him, either. The Oilers are in a no win situation here, in my opinion. Their options are –

A) dump Yakupov for next to nothing (maybe a pick) because teams know the Oilers can’t protect him, any team he goes to he needs to be protected too. Maybe they get something for him if they pump up his numbers with McDavid but it’s going to be an underwhelming return. They then also lose another player to expansion.

B) Hold Yakupov, if he plays well I can’t see Las Vegas passing on him. The marketing angle is too good for them to pass. Former 1st overall, electric player when he is on his game, big personality. It is pretty much exactly the player a new team needs to help fill seats.

C)Hold Yakupov, he plays poorly or stays in place from last year. He gets passed over in expansion.

Honestly the best bet is for the Oilers is if Yak somehow gets passed over in expansion. Until then his value is pretty much nothing unless he really rips it up next year. If he has another off year he definitely is going to want out.

Can’t see this ending well . . .

24. G Money says:

Jethro Tull,

I think we’re many years from being able to say that analytics have brought market efficiency (in the sense that you’re describing) to the NHL GM market.

As I see it, there are specific groupings:

– successful teams that have been using analytics for years (but we only know about it because of a few words here or there, it’s relatively clear they’re keeping it under their hat because of the competitive advantage gained). CHI and LAK as an example.

– teams that have been bad for years and are recent converts to analytics, such as TOR and ARI. Both have implemented those directions with analytically smart but inexperienced people – it remains to be seen if either will pay off (so far TOR looks good, ARI is mixed to my eyes). FLA, CAR, NJD, a number of others. I think CAL/Treliving are here too, and although they have a Director of Analytics and Treliving has publicly lauded him, whatever extent they’re using him they’re keeping under their hat. Grrr.

– teams that have been bad for years and have put in appearances of using analytics, but the old guard remains solidly in charge. EDM obviously, and it has not been and will not be enjoyable watching them pay the piper for that for years to come. I don’t think this has changed with the switch to Chiarelli.

– teams where the old guard are in charge, no questions asked (MTL, BOS) and it will be enjoyable watching them pay the piper for that for years to come. I think COL just switched from this to the second category.

– everyone else, who likely resemble EDM in that analytics are present but not well implemented; the main difference is likely lack of knowledge on how to do so effectively rather than a lack of willingness.

The last category is where I’d estimate 90% of companies out in the real world are too. Everyone wants to get into analytics, understands that in the long term they’ll be at a competitive disadvantage if they don’t, but at this point, most just don’t know how. (my next entrepreneurial venture is highly likely to be in this space …)

So getting back to the original point, the idea of a Yak pump and dump will be less successful than it might have been in the past, but there’s still market out there.

25. Ducey says:

SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo!:
    Ca$h-McMoney!,

Yak is a bust right now. If Yak is picked at least they get something for him (another more useful player protected).

If Yak somehow gets 25 goals and 50 pts (given he had 23 points last year that seems unlikely) you can bet he and his wonderful agent will be difficult in negotiating his next RFA agreement and will use the KHL as a pressure point. I won’t be upset to have some other team having to deal with that.

I hate to harp on this but if Yak is to post some boxcars, he not only needs McDavid shooting it off his ass 5 x 5 but needs to improve on PP where he has posted 25 – 33% of his points each year so far. His 3.46 pt/ 60 was 9th among Oilers players last year who played more than 50 minutes on the PP. That’s dreadful for someone who is supposed to be a shooter.

If Yak is to post some offense he will have to somehow get 180 minutes on the PP and get his average up to about 5 pt/ 60.

Anyway, there is a long way to go until the expansion draft.

Jethro Tull,

Here’s the thing though.

Yak is the 2nd best RW on the team by merit. Every metric we have tells us this.

The other RW options are:

Kassian (marginal NHLers)
    Pakarinen (not a NHLer)
    JP (raw rook who’s never played regularly on small ice vs. best in the world)

He has earned it, but that’s an indictment of the RW depth chart.

27. Ducey says:

dessert1111:

I didn’t catch the earlier discussion but isn’t Bettman/ CHED/ Mr. Rogers likely to quash that idea over licensing?

28. G Money says:

DRFNsuperstar: Someone must have Yak’s numbers while playing with Muddle or Elites versus Gritensity (looking at you Woodmoney).

I can run those numbers (… obviously …) for you, but they aren’t actually very useful for assessing forwards at the moment. The reason being that our definition of competition only includes forwards.

So it’s actually a terrific window for looking at defensemen, whose qualcomp we believe is primarily defined by the forwards they face, and much less so by the defensemen.

But the reverse we believe is also true, which is that the qualcomp of a forward is defined primarily – or at the very least, in equal measure – by the defensemen they face. So the WM’s don’t do a good job of giving ‘real’ qualcomp measures for forwards until we add defensemen (which is something we’re working on).

For the record, in terms of qualcomp as measured by forwards faced, here are the breakdowns for Yak and Ebs (note: the numbers don’t add up to 100 because they are rounded, so they’ll often sum to 99 or 101):

Ebs: 37% Elite, 40% Middle, 24% Gritensity – this makes sense in the context of a team where it was usually Hall’s line that faced top comp (I believe this actually switched in the last month of the season, when McDavid’s line started facing top comp more often, based on looking at the individual game head to head TOI breakdowns)

Yak: 35% Elite, 33% Middle, 33% Gritensity – relatively even, but I suspect if you broke this out into a histogram, it would look bimodal

In any case, using this specific measure of qualcomp, they aren’t that far apart.

29. Jethro Tull says:

Woodguy: If you have RNH and McD as your top two C’s and Yak plays well with one and not well at all with the other then logic dictates that you play him with McD.

Which leads me full circle: If he’s playing well with McDavid, we won’t have to trade him.

Lol, thanks for all your replies today guys, some interesting POVs.

It may seem facile of me, but what this teams needs is to win. I guarantee 90% of this team’s problems will melt away if they start winning and winning well.

Of course, they’ll be replaced by other problems, but at least they’ll be winning team problems. I mean, look at Chicago’s problem – do we trade the latest draft develpoment phenom or do we trade one of the old guard to keep our team winning and under the cap?

A lot better than ‘we’re been collecting #1 OVs for years and nobody wants to trade for them because they’re perceived as bad players because they’re on a shitty team’.

We need to start digging up..

30. digger50 says:

The roster as configured for todays blog looks like the best blend of team resources. Yak is an NHL player and comment was “if Chia is going to war as is….” Then you have to play your cards as dealt and best deployment looks like Yak gets some time up with McDavid.

My issue is take two players of this forwards roster and put them on injury reserve. Now pencil in Landers and Iro with JJ and Sleppy on deck and lets see what we’ve got. Not looking as encouraging.

With Chia’s Hall for Larson bet, if I was him I would want to add some veteran insurance to this roster.

31. Bruce McCurdy says:

Woogie63:

Here’s the thing: Messi scored 41 goals last year, Yakupov scored 8. Messi’s team won the league and cup double, Yakupov’s won jack squat. Messi’s team also won the Spanish SuperCup last night by a 5-0 aggregate, suggesting that hard backchecking by Messi wasn’t really necessary. But when he scored the clincher no doubt people were happy because that’s a big part of what they came to see. (And I hope you enjoyed yourself at Camp Nou, what a thrill that would be.)

The city would buzz about the great things a player does if only that player did great things. But when a guy scores less often than Lauri Korpikoski then it follows that his all ice game will come under the microscope.

32. Jethro Tull says:

Messi evades defenders like Messi evades taxes!

33. Richard S.S. says:

The person we should be most concerned with is Leon. If he is to turn out as a top # 1/# 1A/# 2 Centre, he needs to be able to succeed with anyone. But first, there are things that must be solved.
    1) Can Jesse play at this level right away? Nine games with Leon in a protected role is a good trial. Decisions could be made then whether Jesse stays or goes to there AHL.
    2) Can Nail play hockey at this level? Nine games with Connor should tell us that.

Ideally McDavid with Eberle; Nugent-Hopkins with Puljujarvi; Draisaitl with Yakupov could give the Oilers their best three scoring lines. For the first 20 games, they need to find out who’s good enough to play.

34. LMHF#1 says:

dessert1111:

What?

That’s not legal. At all. There are rights-holders and exclusive broadcasts. Do you not listen to the audio equivalent of ‘fine print’ that always ends with “strictly prohibited’?

35. Atc-Nate says:

Unfortunately, all this is moot in regards to Yak. Unless Ebs is hurt, he’ll be attached to McD’s right hip with Lucic on the left …

McClellan is NOT a Yak fan, it shows in every respect. I’m not saying it is unwarranted because it partly is no doubt… However that fact (I’m calling it a fact) will leave Yak on 3 line with LD in the soft minute parade party and little pp time.

The only thing that changes that is IF Yak has a definitive pre-season and starts the season red hot! I hope he does, God I root for that kid. Loves hockey, loves the game, would love to see it grow and would love to see him succeed in an Oilers uniform.

Eberle finishes so we generally overlook the warts. Nobody can fault Yaks effort, he’s the first one back to cover nobody. 😉 But at least he’s trying? Anyhow regardless I hope he can make a go of it!

36. Rondo says:

Jethro Tull,

More to the story

GLOBO obtained the security footage from the Ryan Lochte incident, which is now reported to be a dispute over damage at a Rio gas station.

Or

37. Water Fire says:

Woogie63:

If Yak scored like Messi he’d get some slack.

38. Jethro Tull says:

Rondo,

‘Murica!

39. russ99 says:

I still think Taylor Beck has a really good chance to be that 4th line RW, considering McLellan and Chiarelli’s preferences.

But if all we need to worry about is 4th line RW, we’d be in pretty good shape.

40. Bruce McCurdy says:

russ99:

But if all we need to worry about is 4th line RW, we’d be in pretty good shape.

That’s a guy who is a lot further under the radar than maybe he should be.

41. digger50 says:

Atc-Nate:

Eberle finishes so we generally overlook the warts.Nobody can fault Yaks effort, he’s the first one back to cover nobody. But at least he’s trying? Anyhow regardless I hope he can make a go of it!

Just have to agree here. I was embarrassed for Yak when everyone talked about him “getting a shot” with top line mates and then TMac pulls him after two shifts. Despite the verbal, I don’t think TMac gives him any real chance at all. Please prove me wrong.

42. Lois Lowe says:

‘Oscar Klefbom recently spoke quite harshly about Taylor Hall who had been traded to New Jersey, claiming he’d play well only against weaker opposition.’

“He knows him well, they played together long enough, and I can’t say that Klefbom is wrong.”

43. Water Fire says:

As we circle around these prospects and unestablished players there are a few truths that clear the picture if they are recognized.

One is that there are very few players that are good enough to do their own thing much. We read about it time and again and teams blow their feet off repeatedly because of it.

In Yak’s case he needs to submit and do what he’s asked, the way McLellan wants it, plain and simple. I think he could supplant Eberle if he does – he’s more like what Chia likes as a player type and half the cost. It’s there for him.

Another is that for small players skill and speed are a must, but they also have to be strong. If a player isn’t an elite scorer, big, and isn’t a right hand defenseman or centre there are a lot of players teams can choose from, so there is no incentive to use them. We see it time and again.

Benson and Caggiula are strong. If that can’t be said of other smaller Oiler prospects I don’t like their chances unless they start scoring at elite levels.

44. Centre of attention says:

Bruce McCurdy: That’s a guy who is a lot further under the radar than maybe he should be.

Oesterle too. Everyone just assumes Nurse is automatically third pair. To be honest, Oesterle looked calm and controlled playing over 20 minutes a night down the stretch. Imagine how effective he would be with his minutes cut back and level of competeition reduced? I know you could say the same about Nurse but Oesterle was already doing *decent* playing top 4 for the Oilers.

I would like a third pair of Oesterle-Davidson and have Nurse top pairing in the minors with Reinhart. Just my opinion.

45. BONE207 says:

Jethro Tull:
    Flicking through the news this morning, I noticed the story about American swimmer Ryan Lochte having fled Brazil and back with his lovely girlfriend Kayla Rae Reid.I thought I’d give her a quick google to see what she looked like, purely for curiosity, you understand, when up pops a picture of her with a horse on a beach wearing an Oilers jersey.Her, not the horse.I wonder if she posts here.

I had a lot of things pop up looking at her Instagram. Curiosity is a funny thing but I like to learn things everyday. I feel richer for your post.

46. Durag says:

Centre of attention,

Oesterle – Fayne makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than Nurse – Fayne, but I don’t think there’s any way the Oilers start Nurse in the minors.

As long as we’re talking longshots, Puljujarvi as the forward playing the point on the PP? He’s fast, defensive minded and I think has a big shot. Stranger things have happened.

47. Ice Sage says:

Jethro Tull:

Hey, thanks for that – girl’s got style, if questionable taste in men

48. PhrankLee says:

In response to the NLH Network list of top 20 D. John Davis gives a great list and analysis of each. Oscar gets his due in this article. It’s nice to see an Oiler product being mentioned in one of these lists. It’s been a long time, been a long time been a long lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely, lonely time.

Apologies if it was already posted by a sharper knife in this drawer. Yes, I know there are several.

49. Centre of attention says:

Durag:
    Centre of attention,

Oesterle-Fayne sounds like a dynamite third pair. I think they would compliment each other fantastically. Oesterle basically does everything Mark Fayne can’t, and he does it very well, and the same goes the other way.

50. Jethro Tull says:

Lois Lowe:

51. rickithebear says:

Years on this site rules:
    You have to earn your spot
    First rounders get more opportunities than they should
    Fans and teams should select the best roster, not by mgmt agenda.
    Ignore these rules when discussing yakupov.

52. commonfan14 says:

Ducey: If Yak somehow gets 25 goals and 50 pts (given he had 23 points last year that seems unlikely) you can bet he and his wonderful agent will be difficult in negotiating his next RFA agreement and will use the KHL as a pressure point.

Yak’s lack of a contract and the KHL pressure point could easily scare off Vegas too.

53. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Ca$h-McMoney!,

Pittsburgh will be looking to shed some salary too.
    Eric Fehr perhaps?

Yeah, still plenty of options. They have Dupuis going on LTIR so that comes off the cap, but they are still uncomfortably tight to the ceiling. They just signed Cullen for one more year at $1m. The Red Wings have some issues themselves (I suspect they want to move Howard but can’t).

Pens
    Sharks
    Red Wings
    Flyers
    CLB

Plenty of teams that would be interested in moving pieces around. We need to acquire some short term veteran depth pieces (signing Hudler works too, obviously).

54. GCW_69 says:

Bard on the current roster, I would certainly play Yak with McDavid to start next season. But, man, that’s putting a lot of faith in about ten games or so. Oilers should be talking to Hudler, if for no other reason than to provide Yak insurance.

Only the Oilers would take a prospect like Chase and put tweeners in the way to block him from ice time.

The AHL IS a development league, dammit.

55. Ducey says:

GCW_69:
    Bard on the current roster, I would certainly play Yak with McDavid to start next season.But, man, that’s putting a lot of faith in about ten games or so.Oilers should be talking to Hudler, if for no other reason than to provide Yak insurance.

The AHL IS a development league, dammit.

So is the ECHL.

I don’t have a problem with them sending him to the ECHL. He was 7th round pick who took a step back in in his draft +1 year and had some sort of problem with the Hitmen. He didn’t exactly light the world on fire in 19 games as a Condor either.

Hopefully he can take a step forward in the AHL this year.

56. Ducey says:

Flamer draft pick John Gilmour (LHD) signed with the Rags.

57. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Ducey,

I didn’t realise he was a Flames pick. Thanks for the link.

I was playing around on their historical draft board, I saw this draft pick swap from 2011 that I didn’t realise had happened.

Toronto Trades:

#30 and #39 to Anaheim for #22.

Rickard Rakell and John Gibson for Tyler Biggs.

OUCH.

58. dessert1111 says:

LMHF#1: What?

If providing audio commentary on games were illegal, wouldn’t all sports radio be illegal?

You might have an issue with PbP I suppose, but I don’t think there’s anything stopping person X from hooking up a mic and talking into the computer while they watch a hockey game.

But anyways, I’m no legal expert nor do I want to be – merely stating that if LT or someone else from this fine circle were to provide audio commentary on Oilers games in real-time, I would listen.

59. LMHF#1 says:

There was mention of both PBP and color. I’m assuming this is during a game and either with the game on or at the game. Broadcasting either wouldn’t fly.

You can do a post game show and an intermission show if you want. Can’t see any way to do real-time in game that wouldn’t be deemed broadcasting the game.

60. G Money says:

Over on the Twitters, I was asked about Brandon Davidson playing on the right vs left, so I posted the data that I have on the performance of his L-L and L-R pairings.

(If you aren’t a Twit and would like to see this, I can snapshot the convo and paste it here for you … let me know, I don’t want to overwhelm with Twitter stuff, it’s not like I don’t post enough)

This little tidbit is worth looking at, though: http://i.imgur.com/zK0V52n.png

If you want to get a sense of why the eye test and the raw shot metrics diverge so widely on Brad Hunt and especially Double Agent, take a gander at the CF% and the DFF% lines for those two…

61. Centre of attention says:

Bakersfield Condors ‏@Condors · 4m4 minutes ago

The Condors have signed d-man Mikael Tam to an #AHL contract. #Condorstown >> http://bit.ly/2bMjZBH

62. Oilspill says:

G Money:
    Jethro Tull,

As I see it, there are specific groupings:

– successful teams that have been using analytics for years (but we only know about it because of a few words here or there, it’s relatively clear they’re keeping it under their hat because of the competitive advantage gained).CHI and LAK as an example.

– teams that have been bad for years and are recent converts to analytics, such as TOR and ARI.Both have implemented those directions with analytically smart but inexperienced people – it remains to be seen if either will pay off (so far TOR looks good, ARI is mixed to my eyes).FLA, CAR, NJD, a number of others.I think CAL/Treliving are here too, and although they have a Director of Analytics and Treliving has publicly lauded him, whatever extent they’re using him they’re keeping under their hat.Grrr.

– teams that have been bad for years and have put in appearances of using analytics, but the old guard remains solidly in charge.EDM obviously, and it has not been and will not be enjoyable watching them pay the piper for that for years to come.I don’t think this has changed with the switch to Chiarelli.

– teams where the old guard are in charge, no questions asked (MTL, BOS) and it will be enjoyable watching them pay the piper for that for years to come.I think COL just switched from this to the second category.

The last category is where I’d estimate 90% of companies out in the real world are too.Everyone wants to get into analytics, understands that in the long term they’ll be at a competitive disadvantage if they don’t, but at this point, most just don’t know how. (my next entrepreneurial venture is highly likely to be in this space …)

So food teams rely on analytics and that the reason for success?

63. Centre of attention says:

Centre of attention: Mikael Tam

He’s another Left-Shot with little to no offense. Le sigh.

64. Oilspill says:

Oilspill: So good teams rely on analytics and that the reason for success?

65. G Money says:

Oilspill,

No, you are confusing causation with correlation.

66. npanciroli says:

Analytics provide insight into a lot of different things, but I think sometimes people forget there are so many variables that can’t be measured/we don’t know how to measure them.

I think you need a smart balance between analytics and other things we as viewers maybe don’t see or know.

I also find comparing two players in different positions even crazier. Hall for Larsson trade being one of them. How do we compare a Offensive LW to a Defensive RHD? I suppose you can compare each player relative the the league in their position?

67. Jethro Tull says:

Oilspill: So food teams rely on analytics and that the reason for success?

No, it’s a chicken/egg thing.

A good team will produce numbers that, when sifted through, can be indicators that can either show where they excel or where they need to improve. But how do you get to those good numbers? What are they? It’s very subjective. We may assume that because a team takes a lot of shots in a game that they have a lot of possession in the o-zone. But this isn’t the story, hence G’s and WG’s (and others) sterling work trying to provide the most important thing in data analysis – context.

Without context, the numbers mean nothing. G was pointing out that good teams tend to have a lot better grip on what numbers to use. Good play will drive good numbers. Shot quality (also highly subjective) is starting to be factored in. Outliers are being destroy. And a lot of this is being driven by fans taking the time out of their lives to not only crunch these numbers, but come up with newer better ones.

68. Jethro Tull says:

npanciroli: A player threatening the other team during game play and constantly hitting the defenders, how do you measure the effect that has?

Hits are measured. Possession and turnovers in the o-zone may well be effected.

69. Pouzar says:

Centre of attention: He’s another Left-Shot with little to no offense. Le sigh.

Man this is a weird organization.

70. Ducey says:

Pouzar: Man this is a weird organization.

ECHL depth.

They have Oesterle, Reinhart, Betker, “Down goes” Fraser, Homer, Leggs, and Musil. That’s 7. If two get called up, that’s 5. They will have their own injuries too. Musil may be lost on waivers.

They have Frankie Simonelli and Tam to fill in for injuries/ call ups. That’s actually about bare minimum. They could likely use another guy.

I guess they could have brought in Drew Doughty instead of Tam, but Chia isn’t as smart as us.

71. SwedishPoster says:

Jethro Tull:

She clearly picked a better hockey team than boyfriend. What an absolute tool. How bloody stupid and disrespectful can a person be before it’s considered ok to tar them, feather them and roll them through town on barbed wire.

72. SwedishPoster says:

In other Olympic news a woman from my old hometown just won a bronze medal in wrestling with a torn collateral ligament in her knee. She tore it two weeks before the games. They grow em tough up in the north.

73. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Ducey: ECHL depth.

Musil may be lost on waivers.

I would be absolutely floored if Musil was lost on waivers. Especially if it happens at the start of the season.

Can you imagine being a prospect on another team, pouring your heart and soul into your work, going out and giving your all during training camp, only to lose an NHL roster spot to a guy who can’t move well and continuously can’t even get a game in on the worst defensive team in the NHL? That would absolutely destroy the morale of the acquiring organization.

74. SwedishPoster says:

While I’m at it Filip Berglund played with Skellefteå in their first CHL game of the season, the team played terrible according to reports and lost in OT to Vienna. Berglund played on the first pairing though the pairing were pretty evenly matched. From reports he was one of few bright spots on a disjointed Skellefteå team, one of the best players on the ice. the SHL teams in general tend to play pretty crappy at the start of the CHL and turns it on when the playoffs arrive. Though they usually win against the lesser opponents anyway so this is not a great start.

Berglund being put on the first pairing doesn’t mean much at all, it’s early and Skellefteå are missing their two big summer signings on D. But still it’s nice to hear he’s building some rep during preseason as it’s a tough task cracking an SHL roster at 19 as an offensively skilled . John Klingberg both struggled with it for example. Erik Karlsson didn’t get much trust either.

75. Ducey says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: I would be absolutely floored if Musil was lost on waivers.Especially if it happens at the start of the season.

Can you imagine being a prospect on another team, pouring your heart and soul into your work, going out and giving your all during training camp, only to lose an NHL roster spot to a guy who can’t move well and continuously can’t even get a game in on the worst defensive team in the NHL?That would absolutely destroy the morale of the acquiring organization.

Signing Tam to an AHL contract? Every team does it. You need guys that are going to want to go to the ECHL. If you have paid attention to the AHL team, there are times mid season they are dipping into “live, warm body” territory to fill out their roster.

Musil could easily get claimed. He is cheap and could provide depth for a Cap limited team. He has a good draft pedigree and is one of the better Dmen in the AHL. If a team has an injury and they want to keep their prospects on the farm, they might just claim Musil.

Anyway, it makes sense to plan for the possibility.

76. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lois Lowe: Pardon me if this has been posted, but Staples has a fascinating interview from Belarus with Scrivens. I always really liked how open he is about being an independent thinker.

Staples? or Scrivens? 🙂

(Correct answer: “both”)

77. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Ducey: Come on, man. I know its cool to rip on the Oilers but some of these criticisms are ridiculous.

Anyway, it makes sense to plan for the possibility.

I have no issue with the Tam signing.

I don’t think Musil is one of the better Dmen in the AHL. He is a good player at the AHL level and I believe he has promise as a potential NHLer in the Gryba mold.

But every NHL team has a guy at the level of Musil in the AHL. At least 1. If a team picks him up they are putting him at the front of the line, giving him an NHL job when the Oilers wouldn’t.

I’m sorry, I just don’t see it.

A waiver claim at the start of the year is typically on a guy like Rundblad, Corrado, etc. A guy who has dominated at the AHL level or who has shown well in multiple NHL games but who can’t stick with the big club. Musil has gotten into 4 NHL games in limited action.

I like the player. I want to keep him, I think he could get there, but no one is claiming him in October. You are familiar with him so you are over valuing him. I stand by my assertion.

SwedishPoster:

My God. That is impressive. Lordy.

79. Pouzar says:

Ducey: ECHL depth.

They have Frankie Simonelli and Tam to fill in for injuries/ call ups.That’s actually about bare minimum. They could likely use another guy.

Makes sense thx

80. Pouzar says:

SwedishPoster:

WHY ISN’T HE OVER HERE DAMMNIT!!!!!!!

81. Pouzar says:

I think Musil is a damn fine AHL Defenceman but that’s just me and my shoddy eyesight.

82. GCW_69 says:

Ducey: So is the ECHL.

Hopefully he can take a step forward in the AHL this year.

He is an offensive player who played almost exclusively with guys who can’t score in the AHL, as I understand it. Is that on him or the Oilers? Pretty sure he doesn’t pick his line mates.

If you do two years in the ECHL, you’re pretty much done.

83. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Pouzar:

I haven’t seen anyone on here suggest he isn’t a good AHL defenceman.

84. Pouzar says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: I haven’t seen anyone on here suggest he isn’t a good AHL defenceman.

Yeah I misread. Thought it was odd….told you about my eyes!