THE HINTERLANDS

In March of 2014, the Buffalo Sabres and Los Angeles Kings made a big trade that involved a bunch of obscure names. That is unusual for a few reasons. First, trades at that point in the year usually involve a rental, and NHL teams rarely trade real prospects for real prospects unless it is a ‘my problem for your head case’ kind of deal.

I paid close attention to the deal because it involved Dean Lombardi, LA’s general manager. Regular readers of this blog know I have my favorites among GMs (Lombardi, Holland, Jim Nill), guys I respect despite their tomfoolery (Lou, Lou, Lou, Lou, Lou) and guys I cannot figure out for the life of me (I won’t name them but am nodding toward the coast).

• 2014-Mar-05 Buffalo Sabres traded Brayden McNabb, Jonathan Parker, a second round pick in 2014 (Alex Lintuniemi) and a second round pick in 2015 (Erik Cernak) to Los Angeles Kings for Hudson Fasching and Nicholas Deslauriers.

McNabb was the guy who caught my eye. The Sabres had drafted him, developed him through most of three pro seasons, and were now trading him with two high picks and some others for a really good prospect in Fasching and an NHL role player in Deslauriers.

Since the deal, Fasching has developed, Deslauriers is a solid role player in Buffalo and the future looks pretty damned good. Los Angeles? McNabb is a productive partner with Drew Doughty, and Cernak is developing into a possibly useful player down the line.

I like the idea of trading for a player like McNabb, who had reached a point in Buffalo where he was going to be a waiver claim (they would never have left him unprotected). We talked this morning about the waiver eligibles (I had a long list of Red Wings and such), and I wanted to touch base on that a little more.

How many McNabb’s are potentially available? I can name Ville Pokka or Mark McNeill, but how many are there? Are they all waiver eligible or are there others who have shown themselves to be worth having a look at?

FORWARDS PRIMARY EV POINTS-PER-GAME (BAKERSFIELD)

I find this is a quick and easy way to suss out useful players (and lessers) in a quick hurry. Primary points are a goal or first assists, and of course the Condors had two prospect forwards over .300:

1. Tyler Pitlick .361
  2. Jujhar Khaira .347

FORWARDS PRIMARY EV POINTS-PER-GAME (AHL)

Here are some young forwards in the AHL who posted .400 or better in the category (40 or more games):

1. R Seth Griffith .702
  2. R Mikko Rantanen .615
  3. F Josh Leivo .588
  4. L Michael Mersch .519
  5. C Alex Khokhlachev .467
  6. C Dominik Simon .441
  7. R Taylor Beck .440
  8. L Anthony Mantha .433
  9. L Brian Leipsic .431
  10. R Zack Hyman .424

This is a selected group from the pile available at Prospect-Stats, worthwhile viewing. One or two of the names were in this morning’s look and I do think a team like the Toronto Maple Leafs is going to have a helluva time getting men like Leivo through waivers this fall.

DEFENSE PRIMARY EV POINTS-PER-GAME (BAKERSFIELD)

1. Jordan Oesterle .233
  2. Joey Laleggia .226
  3. Dillon Simpson .179

Jordan Oesterle has earned a spot. I have him playing in the NHL in my RE, and despite some chaos defensively he appears bona fide as a puck mover.

DEFENSE PRIMARY EV POINTS-PER-GAME (AHL)

Three interesting names from Bakersfield, let’s see what is out there in the rest of the AHL (40 or more games):

1. Shea Theodore .280
  2. Connor Carrick .269
  3. Brandon Montour .265
  4. Esa Lindell .247
  5. Anthony DeAngelo .246
  6. Andrey Pedan .244
  7. Robbie Russo .239
  8. Jordan Oesterle .233
  9. Morgan Ellis .233
  10. Joey Laleggia .226

Interesting to see the Oilers with some good performances on defense, Oesterle keeps showing up in good spots and that was Laleggia’s rookie season.

WAIVERS AND TORONTO

I think we should watch Toronto this fall. Josh Leivo and Connor Carrick are waiver eligible and both players would be useful to the Oilers. Both men could be protected by injuries or trades of veterans, but I have been staring at this for awhile and Toronto (plus Detroit, at least a little) seem vulnerable. I think Mark McNeill in Chicago would also hold interest.

29 Responses to "THE HINTERLANDS"

1. Centre of attention says:

Yak + Reinhart + 3rd round pick for Leivo + Carrick + 2nd round pick

does that work for anyone? too much? too little?

The stats guys in Toronto would definitely value Yak. I can tell you that much.

2. flyfish1168 says:

Detroit is in a whole lot of hurt with CAP space also and still needs to sign Helm. I would ask for a trade of Fayne for Green + Spoule. This would save the wings 2.4 million

3. JDï™ says:

Does that give her an attosecond advantage over her competitors, or am I too old?

not really wanting an answer to that

4. Mr DeBakey says:

JDï™: I haven’t watched a minute of the quadrennial traveling mafioso sports show, but is this really necessary?

Is what really necessary, grandpa?

5. JDï™ says:

Mr DeBakey: grandpa?

The painted on shorts, chump.

The last time I saw feminine bottoms that revealing, I was tucking a $20 bill into them.

Hey – maybe that can be a new Olympic event? Which ever runner gets to the finish line with the most money stuffed into their G-string, wins!

Couldn’t be any worse than climbing or skateboarding, which will appear in the Tokyo show.

6. theDjdj says:

JDï™: The painted on shorts, chump.

Yikes. Bad joke dude.

I don’t understand the hate new sports get. Is skateboarding any less worthy than shooting or equestrian? I can tell you it takes a damn significant amount of talent to be good at. I don’t hear people complaining about snowboarding in the winter olympics.

RE trades: Ideally you’d love to see use move some LHD prospects to address our right side. Is there a team that is Ying to our Yang with an over depth (is that a term?) of RHD?

7. Bad Seed says:

JDï™,

I gotta say that I’m a fan of painted on shorts.

Centre of attention:
    Yak + Reinhart + 3rd round pickfor Leivo + Carrick + 2nd round pick

does that work for anyone? too much? too little?

The stats guys in Toronto would definitely value Yak. I can tell you that much.

At least one (maybe both) of Carrick or Corrado is going to be on waivers before the start of the season, and the Oilers are 2nd on the claim list. Why trade anything for them?

One should be able to get either for a Marincin type of price…i.e. a 4th or 5th round pick…if one wants to trade for them. The Leafs won’t make that deal until they’ve gotten through training camp without injury.

There is likely no room for Leivo on the OIlers roster. Why trade anything of value for somebody one will have to waive and send to Bakersfield, who would then take time away from Oiler prospects on ELC’s. Khaira >> Leivo.

9. G Money says:

JDï™: money stuffed into their G-string

I insist this new Olympic event be called G Money.

10. theDjdj says:

G Money: I insist this new Olympic event be called G Money.

Is this the origin?

11. rickithebear says:

McNabb:
    Was/is my HSCA D prospect poster child.
    #17 SA/60 D
    #16 EVGA/60 D

12. G Money says:

theDjdj,

I wish!

(the origin is that when I sold my software company back in ’98, my broker started calling me G Money, since my initials are GM and I happened to be working in a GM role, and I suddenly had a lot of money for a relatively young chap. So when I needed an online pseudonym …)

13. Receptor Antagonist says:

G Money: I insist this new Olympic event be called G Money.

This also gives new meaning to the term “woodmoney”…

*slithers back to lurker mode*

Receptor Antagonist: This also gives new meaning to the term “woodmoney”…

*slithers back to lurker mode*

I would have thought of this in my 20s. I will stink think of it, and trumpet it as my own, but that will be on Tuesday.

15. OF17 says:

Those waiver guys are probably a big reason Chiarelli didn’t make a move on a Wisniewski. If a Carrick or Russo is available for free, why not use your high waiver priority while you still have it? Especially in the case of Carrick, where since he’s coming from Toronto, Edmonton would have first dibs. Same with Leivo and not wanting to sign a Hudler.

Between Clendening, Pardy, and Cracknell, Chiarelli has shown a willingness to turn to the waiver wire for potential answers.

Claiming Leivo and Russo while sending Nurse and Puljujarvi to the AHL would be a big boost to our depth both next year and in the future.

16. murphy says:

Anaheim is loaded with young quality D and has a real need at forward. As lowetide has said before they are a perfect match. Chia better be on the phone with them daily trying to pull a quality D or 2 out for a yak or pouliot.

17. Stelio Kontos says:

G Money:
    theDjdj,

I wish!

(the origin is that when I sold my software company back in ’98, my broker started calling me G Money, since my initials are GM and I happened to be working in a GM role, and I suddenly had a lot of money for a relatively young chap.So when I needed an online pseudonym …)

Also the initials of the two companies that you sold. Google and Microsoft.

18. OF17 says:

murphy:

Ducks’ D that are waiver eligible:

Lindholm (160+ games)
    Vatanen (160+ games)
    Fowler (160+ games)
    Despres (160+ games)
    Bieksa (160+ games)
    Stoner (160+ games)
    Holzer (contract years)
    Manson (Signed his first contract in spring 2014, making him 22, so his 99 NHL games exceed the 70 game threshold. Even if the NHL considers him 21 that year, he still exceeds the 80 game threshold.)

That’s 8 guys there. Holzer is the obvious man out. Montour and Theodore are ineligible for waivers this year, so unless they blow the doors off in training camp, they’ll probably be sent down to wait for injuries.

I don’t think there’s an opportunity with the Ducks regarding waivers and D. Only opportunity is if they have trouble fitting Lindholm and Rakell under the cap and need to move salary. Otherwise, a deal for one of their D would have to be good enough for the Ducks to willingly give up depth that most teams can only dream of.

Now, fitting both Lindholm and Rakell into ~$9 million in space is going to be tight (why did they sign Vermette to $1.75 million before getting the important business done?), but those negotiations going south is the only way I see the Ducks parting with a defender this season. Maybe it opens up a deal around Yak for Silfverberg, which would make us a better team. I fear it would mean Toronto taking a shot at Fowler and ruining our opportunity.

19. Klima's_Bucket says:

Lowetide: I would have thought of this in my 20s.

50s is the new 20s….

20. murphy says:

OF17,

Toronto is tight for cap as well so they can’t take on fowler without money going out the door. Also Theodore isn’t going to sit in the AHL forever, players and agents know when they should be in the NHL, that could become a factor. The other factor is you are completely ignoring the ducks need for help at forward, why not deal from strength.

21. OF17 says:

murphy:
    OF17,

The Ducks could definitely use some help at forward. They probably have 7 guys right now that could be counted on to be legit top 9 forwards (Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Cogliano, Silfverberg, Rakell, Vermette) and a few guys that could be wild cards. Problem is, how do we send them forward help, take back a D, and not mess up their salary structure?

They need help at LW the most, and we’re not trading Lucic. Pouliot is too expensive, and Maroon is likely not being traded and especially not to Anaheim. Yak could work for them, but the only D more expensive than him that I’d like to add are Vatanen and Lindholm. Vatanen was just re-signed, and Lindholm, well, we all know he’d take more from our forward group than we can afford to lose right now.

I think it would take something crazy, something like Sekera + Draisaitl + Yak for Lindholm + Rakell + Thompson (salary). Would I do it? I don’t know. I know it’s crazy enough to never happen, but having Lindholm-Klefbom-Larsson on defense, McDavid-Nuge-Rakell at center, and Talbot in goal would be a very strong middle to build from.

22. dcsj says:

Completely off topic, but I was glad to see on the New York Times crossword for Monday this clue for 51-Down: “Edmonton hockey player” (answer: OILER) Link here: http://www.nytimes.com/crosswords/game/daily/2016/08/22, don’t know if you can see it without a subscription, but that made me smile. Hope a good season is upcoming.

23. ~ Hall of Shame ~ says:

dcsj: 51-Down:

No problem with Lander being injured. It’s 97 Down that worries one.

24. theDjdj says:

G Money:
    theDjdj,

I wish!

And now all your money’s in the booming market of Hockey Analytics, right?

Also, your acquisition made me curious so I had a look at what went down in 1998. Big year. https://www.britannica.com/technology/computer-Year-In-Review-1998

25. theDjdj says:

OF17: Ducks’ D that are waiver eligible:

Lindholm (160+ games)
    Vatanen (160+ games)
    Fowler (160+ games)
    Despres (160+ games)
    Bieksa (160+ games)
    Stoner (160+ games)
    Holzer (contract years)

If we offered Klefbom for Lindholm straight up would Anaheim take it? Should provide them enough room to sign Rakell.

26. Jaxon says:

Ryan Sproul is an intriguing possibility. He had an NHLe of 35 in his Draft+2 season. His first 3 AHL seasons have not had great offensive production but the scouting reports have mentioned that he improved his skating and ovareall game. If he can put it all together and rediscover his offensive touch, he could be a steal. Detroit is currently $5M over cap with their bonuses and RFA Sproul is still unsigned. I’m not sure how they’re going to shed $5M. Maybe Edmonton can take an overpriced contract and Sproul off their hands. The numbers make it difficult, but Sproul’s upside makes the gamble interesting at least.

27. murphy says:

theDjdj,

I think we would be better off offering nurse as he is expansion protected. Adding in yak or pouliot and a guy like silfverberg could help them as well. Most likely they would want stoner involved in any lindholm trade though.