WE HAVE THE HOCKEY!

One can never be sure—the language barrier is real and it is spectacular—but it appears Filip Berglund is playing a little for Skelleftea of the SHL (the big pro league in Sweden) in exhibition games. What’s more, he picked up an assist:

• 27.06 : Goal ! Henrik Hetta can put your disc into the empty net . The situation is now 0-1 Skellefteå . The feed points for Filip Berglund Oscar Möller . Source

That source has a video in it of the goal, but I cannot get the blasted thing to work. Either way, Berglund is probably headed back to junior, but it is nice to see him hanging with Oscar Moller and the pro group in the early days. Also, hockey blogger Johan Karlsson quoted the player (thanks, google translate and Swedish Poster!) about the young blueliner:

• Oscar Moller: And such as Filip Berglund. He is already good, but I think he will be really good. Source

Berglund is going to be a fascinating player to follow this season, and we hope our friend Swedish Poster (and others) drop by often to update. I will google search and google translate like a demon from this day forward in search of news, promise.

TYLER BENSON!

benson capture1

• His .700 even-strength points-per-game ranks him No. 2 among (first time) 2016 draft-eligible WHL forwards (Dillon Dube, .707—he was chosen No. 56 overall by Calgary).
  • His .567 primary even-strength points-per-game ranks him No. 2 among (first time) 2016 draft-eligible WHL forwards (Dillon Dube, .585—he was chosen No. 56 overall by Calgary).
  • He did this on a team that won 23 games, and the Giants were one of five teams in the league to score fewer than 200 goals.

The Vancouver Giants training camp begins this week (August 26) and the junior clubs get back at it across Canada this week. I will have Corey Graham on the Lowdown Friday morning to discuss the Oil Kings and their coming season.

ROOM FOR MORE!

Normally this is the time of year I am yelling for a three-for-one deal, but the Oilers lack creativity at this time of year and it does not appear to be even an unlikely possibility. So, we are left with the idea of nibbling around the edges of the roster. What can be done? Well, let’s go back to the Chiarelli to-do list (I know you are excited!):

CHIARELLI’S MAIN LIST

1. Top-pairing RHD (Two-way skills—Adam Larsson)
  2. Find a replacement for Taylor Hall once they traded him (Milan Lucic)
  3. Backup goalie (Jonas Gustavsson)
  4. Second-pairing RHD (Offensive defenseman)
  5. Acquire RHC with some skill

We have chatted for two months now about the additions and the draft, but if we return to Chiarelli’s list, there are two items still on the docket: RHD who can help on the power play and a righty center to play 3C. There are still a few smaller avenues to success (small s) and one of them is the waiver wire:

1. RD Ryan Sproul, Detroit Red Wings. The young man has been in the AHL for three years and is NHL-ready. I think he makes the big club based on numbers, but it is not a slam dunk and the Oilers should leap at the chance to add the puck mover.
  2. R Josh Leivo, Toronto Maple Leafs. This is an excellent young player who shoots right and has shown excellent AHL progress. If Toronto attempts to slide him through, Edmonton should grab him.
  3. L Teemu Pulkkinen, Detroit Red Wings. They will deal him long before he hits the waiver wire, but someone is heading out of Detroit based on their having 17 signed forwards at this time. A dandy young player.
  4. C Mark McNeill, Chicago Blackhawks. There are things about him (RH, two-way center, better speed than Lander) that would make him an attractive addition. I wonder if the Oilers end up trading for him if he doesn’t make the Hawks this fall. Bob Stauffer has mentioned him many times.
  5. L Kenny Agostino, St. Louis Blues. The Oilers don’t specifically need a LW, but this guy is 24, scored 57 points in 65 AHL games and is 6.01, 200. I think Edmonton might look at him in an effort to shore up the depth forward spots.
  6. C Derek Grant, Buffalo Sabres. I didn’t understand why he hadn’t received a long NHL look—apparently Buffalo agreed. Grant went 27-18-45 in 36 AHL games last season, followed by 15 games where he averaged 11 minutes a night. I hope he hangs around for expansion. Make sure you are UFA next summer, young man.
  7. RD Connor Carrick, Toronto Maple Leafs. An interesting young player, I don’t think the Leafs have room for him. Has scored 45 points per 82 AHL games and may have enough to help an NHL team.
  8. RD Stefan Elliott, Nashville Predators. He posted 24 points in 84 games and is a righty—a player who could help the Oilers organization.

Edmonton has 47 names on the 50-man list, but two potential slide rules. Peter Chiarelli could add two of these men and safely be under the line general managers like to land for the season (waivers, etc).

50-man

THE LOWETIDE PLAN

Universally despised, ripped thoroughly by onlookers and casual fans, once again I would like to lay out the Lowetide Plan. I have published this before, so apologies for repeating:

• Find balance. Peter Chiarelli is getting closer, but for some reason decided to stop short this summer—and I do not buy that the prices were too high because you lose that argument once pulling the trigger on the Larsson deal.
  • Add two defensemen who are actual NHL players. We are not yet at opening night so there is still time, but short of a Leddy-Boychuk weekend Edmonton got one and did not add the other. This is not a cardinal sin, but does speak to management’s leisurely pace during the McDavid entry-level deal. THAT qualifies as a cardinal sin.
  • Re-stock the system. The 2016 college signing period and 2016 draft looks damn good from here. Adding Puljujarvi and Caggiula gives the team help at the pro level, and Benson is a helluva addition if completely healthy. I am also bullish on the blue, especially Berglund.
  • Keep the centers three. Done. Good job.
  • Light a candle. I don’t believe in voodoo or witchcraft or the power of a seance, so will go with a simple lighting of a candle. The Oilers have very little depth, so staying healthy will be vital to any success we see this  season.

90 Responses to "WE HAVE THE HOCKEY!"

1. speeds says:

Gryba does not fit a category on the list you provided, but do you think the Oilers look at him LT?

Traded for him once before, RH D that would seemingly fill a toughness aspect if that’s something Chiarelli is looking for?

speeds:

3. speeds says:

devil’s advocate – they had Fayne last summer and still traded for Gryba.

They might like adding Gryba even as a projected 7/8D, add a depth RH D, keep a young D playing in the AHL vs. sitting as 7D?

4. flyfish1168 says:

Lowetide: If they trade Mark Fayne, I can see it. The conversation may revolve around Musil believe it or not. If EDM thinks he is a waiver worry, they might keep him (as No. 7 or No. 8). Gryba can defend and has value imo, but Fayne duplicates his skill set and is on the roster.

speeds:

devil’s advocate – they had Fayne last summer and still traded for Gryba.

Maybe. that said, doing it ignores what is needed—a puck mover RH side and a legit PP option. Nurse on the third pair would benefit heavily from a puck-moving defender imo. Gryba is several miles from it, and doesn’t fit the bill unless Fayne moves.

I do not hate Gryba as an option, but also do not see the fit. PC and McLellan may.

flyfish1168: LT if they trade Fayne do you think they have to retain Salary since he has 2 years left at 3.6.

I bet they are willing to retain. Jmo.

7. npanciroli says:

I want another RHD not only for balance but it pushes Davidson to the left side (I prefer L/R pairs) and Nurse to top pairing AHL and callup option.

8. Moose says:

Per Holland, Pulkkinen is injured and starting the season on IR (along with Vitale and Franzen) so it’s going to buy them some time with him and their surplus of forwards, and indirectly allows them to probably keep both Sproul and Marchenko on the roster to start with 8 D.

9. flyfish1168 says:

I wonder if negotiations have started on Leon’s next contract. I’m not sure if I favor a bridge deal.

I still feel we dropped the ball when we played Leon 37 games his rookie season

10. digger50 says:

Details of the Lowetide plan.

I think the club has done an admirable job of restocking the shelves given one year time frame. Can only move so fast here and if this continues the depth will come.

The moves the club has made in regard to roster starters have been few yet I give them credit at least the moves were substantial.

Health wise, opposing teams should be much less likely to deliver rib crushing cross checks (Davidson) if they are worried about receiving some nasty cross checks themselves. I think we see a lot more respect for Oilers this year and it leads to reduced injuries.

Last year at this time I heard “it’s not enough!” Yet I was bullish on the season. This year I think there many reasons to still be bullish on the season yet I can understand the calls “it’s not enoHugh”

Lowetide what are two or three actual moves to make to boost this roster and increase confidence? Who would you bring in for that versatile 3C and RHD and what would it cost? Any specific targets to finish off the Lowetide plan?

11. Bruce McCurdy says:

flyfish1168:

I still feel we dropped the ball when we played Leon 37 games his rookie season

12. Seismic Source says:

Drai either on the first line RW or centering the third line. Anything else makes a big mess.

13. SwedishPoster says:

The quote on Berglund is actually from former LA Kings prospect Oscar Möller on his new teammate. I haven’t caught any of the CHL games this week but from what I’ve gathered Berglund has been showing well. Doubt he goes back to juniors he’ll either stick with Skellefteå or they’ll loan him to allsvenskan, the second tier in Sweden, to start the season. Allsvenskan has been a good stepping stone for young swedish D before so should be a very good option if he can’t crack Skellefteå right away. Preseason is preseason but he seems to be building a good case so far. He has the benefit of being a righty on a team packed with LHD.

14. murphy says:

Gryba has the mindset hes coming back to edm, not sure why he wouldn’t be signed by now but to him its a foregone conclusion hes coming back. Take it for what its worth.

15. Genjutsu says:

The summer isn’t over si it’s too soon to say with any certainty, however, it does seem silly beyond reason to not add another RHD.

The math has spoken and the risk of injuries that are a virtual certainty make this all the more maddening.

I’m less of the opinion that the need for a puck moved is that essential than some as I don’t see a clear path to one.

At this point I’d be happy if they just brought Gryba back.

16. flyfish1168 says:

Bruce McCurdy: Funny thing about Leon is that because they kept him for 10 games but not for 40, it burned a year of his ELC without moving the dial on his UFA eligibility. So when his ELC expires next June his will be a rare case of 5 outstanding RFA years. Makes a bridge deal more likely, or possibly shaves a little off the AAV of a long term pact.

17. Yeti says:

The thing I truly dislike about the Lowetide plan is that its so vague. I mean, what kind of candle should we be lighting? Colour is definitely important here – personally, I’m going to plump for a touching shade of dark blue but please advise if this is a mistake – but do the hockey gods like those smelly candles with wafts of honey and cinnamon or are they going to pull the whole ‘scent sensitivity’ card and send us back into the lottery picks? And should it be just one candle, or is lighting more going to move the dial further towards the promised land? These are important details and they can’t simply be wished away a matter of weeks before training camp.

18. Acumen says:

When and why did we stop discussing Rundblad as an option? He’s found money.

19. Jethro Tull says:

I think we should ‘challenge’ him with a one year contract. It’s what a good GM would do.

I did a thing on the power play and internal shooting options

21. speeds says:

Jethro Tull,

Huge difference between a potential 1 year deal for Draisaitl, trying to conserve cap space to take a run during CMD’s final ELC year while also having him under team control for a number of years afterwards vs. the Petry situation.

22. speeds says:

flyfish1168: Hi Bruce. Yes I remember reading about that. Just to be clear, we can still sign Leon for the full 7 years but the we just loss the one year of his ELC?

8 years would be the max for Draisaitl.

23. Klima's_Bucket says:

In this linked article you said Nuge has vowed to shoot more.

Where did he make this vow?

24. Jethro Tull says:

speeds:
    Jethro Tull,

Sorry, the sarcasm font didn’t work again. I was being sarcastic.

25. speeds says:

Jethro Tull,

I knew what you were referencing, I’m just saying that in this case there is some sort of argument for a one year deal, although we’ll have more information as the year progresses.

digger50:

It is always difficult to know what is out there, but would suggest there are RHD’s who could be acquired. Cody Franson, Ville Pokka, even Sproul above or Brandon Montour (my personal favorite). Edmonton needs a long term and short term solution, so maybe Franson and Montour.

27. speeds says:

Rakell could be a versatile C/RW, RH shot?

Klima's_Bucket:

In this linked article you said Nuge has vowed to shoot more.

Where did he make this vow?

I think it was on Bob’s show to be honest. I looked around on Matty’s stuff for confirm but could not find. He did though, I heard it.

speeds:
    Rakell could be a versatile C/RW, RH shot?

He would be a fabulous add. I hope Carlyle hates him.

30. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: He would be a fabulous add. I hope Carlyle hates him.

You & me both. I have all day for Rakell.

31. Bruce McCurdy says:

Yeah the way Oilers did it they started the 3-year clock on his ELC but not the 7-year clock on UFA eligibility. A fairly rare set of circumstances. So Leon’s contract is up in 2017, at which time a 3- or even 4-year bridge is a realistic option. Even at that it won’t be cheap, but it might be cheapER.

32. Centre of attention says:

Bruce McCurdy: You & me both. I have all day for Rakell.

And that bum Lindholm too! Anaheim has no time for those kinds of useless assets right?!

33. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: Find balance. Peter Chiarelli is getting closer, but for some reason decided to stop short this summer—and I do not buy that the prices were too high because you lose that argument once pulling the trigger on the Larsson deal.

Centre of attention: Uhhhmmm, so you want Peter to over pay and force more moves? Wouldn’t that be risking the possibility of moving further AWAY from balance? Just my opinion. I don’t like the idea of another Larsson trade, IDK about you.

35. speeds says:

Lowetide: The moment you trade Hall for Larsson, you end any thought of a rebuild and are now in win mode. There is no neutral ground.

devil’s advocate (again, I must be in an argumentative mood!):

Larsson is younger, cheaper, and under contract longer, could look at that as a rebuild type move

speeds: devil’s advocate (again, I must be in an argumentative mood!):

Maybe. The fans MIGHT be patient enough for Chiarelli to institute his own five-year plan to make the playoffs. Very risky though, what with a new building and increased ticket prices. I think he made the move with an eye to getting better immediately and turning north (with Lucic added). If I am writing about Nolan Patrick on Halloween night I will respond to your comment with profanity! 🙂

37. Evilas says:

Acumen,

Ideally Rundblad is brought in to TC on a PTO, that way it is all on him.

38. Centre of attention says:

I agree there is an element of urgency, and of course I would like Chiarelli to make a trade tomorrow, but that is all together unrealistic when you look at how the league in general operates. These are the dog days, and usually absolutely nothing happens until cap compliance crunch time. I also think there is an outside chance there is something right after the world cup.

In my opinion there is another shoe to drop in-season, perhaps leading up to the deadline. These are the times when real NHL players get on the move. I definitely think they trade the 2017 first rounder, not a doubt in my mind. Just my opinion.

I would hate for Chiarelli to go rushing out there and leave his ass exposed again, I know you want things balanced “right f*cking now” , and we all do, but if you want to win a trade you need to be opportunistic. And the opportunities will be presented as things move along.

This will be a very different team by oh say March next year when you account for graduating prospects and probable additions in-season. I’d bet money on it. We should be lighting candles for a healthy fall, McDavid and Klefbom being healthy should mean at least a .500 record towards the deadline with a possible late season push to the promise land if the correct reinforcements are added.

39. season not played says:

Larsson is younger, cheaper and I would argue further from being a finished product than Hall. I don’t know if I would call it a rebuild move, more like a building a hockey team move, for now and the future.

You’ve got a pretty big blind spot on this one LT.

season not played

You’ve got a pretty big blind spot on this one LT.

Nah. I just call a bad trade a bad trade when it is a bad trade.

41. B S says:

Lowetide: Nah. I just call a bad trade a bad trade when it is a bad trade.

I’ve stayed out of the talk over the trade, mostly because I’m waiting for a season of Larsson before I settle on an opinion. On paper Hall for Larsson is a bad trade, however 1, we don’t yet know what we have in Larsson, and 2, the team is (again on paper) better after the trade than before. Sad to see Hall gone, but I have mixed feelings about the trade itself. Personally I’m not throwing Chiapete under the bus just yet.

42. LadiesloveSmid says:

B S,

I’m starting to believe the team isn’t genuinely better after the trade and signing of Lucic, and do think it’s made Edmonton’s contention period a bit shorter and more immediate. You hope Lucic is effective in his role for maybe 3-4 more years and then you’ve got 6M on the cap for 3-4 more. Chia should be selling futures to load up this team after that trade. They need to roll in those years or the signing doesn’t make sense. Get a 2RD and a 3C/2RW

LadiesloveSmid:
    B S,

44. Woogie63 says:

Hall and Shultz are out, Lucic and Larsson are in ….We are a better team.

You can’t get enough defensemen …. Gryba on a one year cheaper contract and Rundblad on a PTO and Dan Boyle as a guest coach

45. Frank the dog says:

season not played: You’ve got a pretty big blind spot on this one LT.

This is LT’s blog and we need to accept that his mind, along with the cognoscenti of this blog, is made up that this was a bad trade, and further debate on this is a waste of electrons.
    The context of the trade is strictly Hall’s on-ice stats as a hockey trade for Larsson’s on-ice stats.
    The other side of this blog is one that does not tolerate slander. So if there is any unproven, potentially slanderous reason that would justify that trade, that reason may not be published here, and personally, I prefer that to turning this onto a site that does tolerate baseless negative comments about people’s character.
    Finally, from a purist point of view, a trade involving Hall for Larsson would be fundamentally unbalanced. But if this were a trade of Larsson and Lucic for Hall I think a different argument may be made, but not won, on this blog, and one cannot deny that the simple swap of Hall and Larsson in and of itself is unbalanced.
    I personally think we are a better, stronger, more balanced team and one that will play a more cohesive game this season with this and other changes made to the roster. I do not think the sky is falling, but the test of analytics vs. fact will come at the end of this coming season.

46. Frank the dog says:

Lowetide: Yes. And if he does that, the trade for Larsson makes more sense. He needed to add that piece, plus Lucic, plus the RHD with the shot and the two-way C who offers cover if Leon has to play RW. Close all those gaps and I can publish my balance photo!

Frank the dog: LTI think your photo will have yellowed and curled before this team becomes perfectly balanced! What if they win a Stanley with an unbalanced team? Never say never!

Haha. Well they HAVE done it FIVE times!

48. B S says:

LadiesloveSmid,

The thing is, we would have had to either trade or re-up Hall in that same timeframe so the competitive window may not be that different. Lucic could be a boat anchor contract by the end, but plenty of other teams have gotten out of those before (see LA). Once Hall’s contract ran out he was either going to want out, or cost a kings ransom against the cap, and the addition of Larsson could be huge.

The Oilers haven’t had a RD as potentially (there’s that damn word) good as him in a very long time. A lot has been written, but we don’t yet know what kind of impact our shiny new Dman is going to have. That’s why I’m waiting for the season pass before judging the offseason.

49. slopitch says:

It is quite surprising to see Anaheim leaving both Lindholm and Rackell sitting out there vulnerable to an offer sheet. Id have time for Rackel.

slopitch:

It is weird, agree. Now, it could also be the agent(s) hoping Chiarelli or another GM offer sheets, but I keep hoping PC is pressuring Murray (who has been told by Carlyle that Lindholm and Rakell are bums).

51. LadiesloveSmid says:

Nurse is much tougher than Lindholm, I’m thinking swap

52. season not played says:

That was comparatively benign. Moderated or banned?

season not played:

That was comparatively benign. Moderated or banned?

Moderated. No one is banned. Here is the thing: We can disagree on these things and we have certainly given our opinions (and hopefully respect them). I do my best (seriously) not to bring up the trade (or Hall) but have grown exceedingly tired of things like your comment.

I am a man in my mid-50s who has children and a mortgage and all the things one would associate with those things. I would hope you have these things too, or whatever is appropriate for your age and desires.

I do my best to treat everyone with respect, but after the 500th blind spot post about the Hall trade I have had enough. It IS possible to believe it was a bad trade and not have a blind spot, to not be butt hurt, to not to be brokenhearted.

You are speaking to a guy in his 50s. I need you to respect that, or we can’t get along.

54. judgedrude says:

Back to Berglund…

LT, enough interest in him to reinstate the Chosen-Euro-to-Follow Box on the main page? I don’t think you’ve had one since Klefbom got hurt and had a near-null season.

judgedrude:
    Back to Berglund…

LT, enough interest in him to reinstate the Chosen-Euro-to-Follow Box on the main page?I don’t think you’ve had one since Klefbom got hurt and had a near-null season.

Yes, except I have forgotten how to do it! Let me look into it!

56. stevezie says:

LadiesloveSmid,

Big time.

57. season not played says:

I believe we have both been Oilers fans since the beginning so I’m not sure what our ages and family status have to do with anything but fair enough LT. Have to agree to disagree and let this one play out.

58. stevezie says:

I know it’s just been settled, but just because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t mean they have a blind spot. It’s at least possible that they have considered your evidence, found it valid but still insufficient to persuade.

59. Klima's_Bucket says:

Lowetide: You are speaking to a guy in his 50s

50 is the new 30.

season not played:

Yes. And I hope you are right! I do not like disagreeing with Chiarelli either to be honest. He is a very smart guy. Seriously.

Klima’s_Bucket: 50 is the new 30.

Then why do I fall asleep at 10:30? 🙂

62. Klima's_Bucket says:

Lowetide: Then why do I fall asleep at 10:30?

Probably because you work so damn hard trying to keep all of us sane.

63. JDï™ says:

Lowetide: Then why do I fall asleep at 10:30?

10:30 is the new 2:30?

64. Mr DeBakey says:

Lowetide: Then why do I fall asleep at 10:30? 🙂

I’ll tell ya how bad my blind spot is getting,
    When i want to read something, i take my specs off and hold the page closer to my nose.
    On a related note, I can’t remember anyone’s name.

65. Greenberg says:

I am not a stats guy but this effort is ALL stats and his top 20 is highly provocative, IMO. But provocative in an extremely positive way. I suspect WoodMoney and Ricki the Bear might learn something here. In fact I would be willing to bet that 50% of the writers here, if they had to come up with their own top 20, would not have 50% of the names this writer argued for.

Further, he is the first writer I have seen who has made a compelling case for Minnesota’s Spurgeon.

It was an inspiring effort. Thanks be to Evilas for finding it.

66. blainer says:

Lowetide: Then why do I fall asleep at 10:30?

Also in my mid fifty’s LT. I always used to be able to sleep in but lately I find myself awake at the strangest time of the day.. err night.

On Chia..

I remember the ball he dropped last year when most here Knew he was writing off the season with the lack of moves. He obviously didn’t watch much game tape of the Jultzing and the overall state of the D.

An awful lot of us here were pumped this time last year with the arrival of CMD. It was the most excited I was in years despite the lack of D.

I am the complete opposite this year. Getting JP is great and helped make up for another lost season but I just don’t have the same feeling this year.

Now I think Chia has to wait til almost opening night before all teams need to get their shit in order.If something is to happen that’s when I think it happens.

I am also not as worried for the PP as most. I think the PP was real good when CMD was healthy. That’s the biggest thing the PP needs in my mind… Health. A RT shot D would be nice but IMO if CMD stays healthy the PP will rock..

67. AsiaOil says:

Well how many RHD have been traded since the trade deadline aside from Larsson? That would be Jones (who cost a young #1RHC) and Subban (who cost an Olympic team quality RHD) plus Pysk who is a 6-7 dman and brought back a good LHD (Kulikov).

I guess the rest of the NHL is just as useless or negligent as Chia right? Complaining about the lack of trades and complaining even more when they are made is getting a bit old. If people don’t like the cost of doing business then I guess just break out your magic wand and make the world more to your liking.

68. speeds says:

AsiaOil,

if there is not a reasonable trade market, could always look at this market:

69. Revolved says:

I respect anyone who has an opinion they are willing to defend, particularly LT who does it twice a day for our entertainment. I do not envy the voices from the Internet that you have to listen to. Likely why your stated opinions are generally so balanced.

The Hall trade is clearly a very touchy subject, with strong possible cases on both sides. Thus, I think that a measured response is needed from all sides, as we do not know how these two players will perform over their contracts. Certainty and overstatement are easy to post, but do not further the debate.

70. LadiesloveSmid says:

They could have signed Santorelli and Nakladal and I’d shut up. Not looking for mountains to be moved, just for some depth and balance

71. stevezie says:

AsiaOil,

Pysyk for Kulikov was a fair deal considering contract, Subban for Weber was two rhd, and the Preds obviously won that deal. However, your point that rhD are harder to get than lws is well taken.

NJ exploited a market inefficiency. We were on the business end of that and i reject the idea that it was our only choice. Speeds mentioned one good alternative.

72. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: Then why do I fall asleep at 10:30?

If it’s Wednesday, probably because McCurdy has gone off on some boring monologue right in your ear.

73. Bruce McCurdy says:

Or did you mean 22:30?

Bruce McCurdy:
    Or did you mean 22:30?

Haha!! If I drove out into the wilderness at 2am like you do, guarantee I would fall asleep and killed by coyotes. 🙂

75. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: Nah. I just call a bad trade a bad trade when it is a bad trade.

76. Jethro Tull says:

So you’re saying NJ are in win now mode?

77. Evilas says:

speeds,

Interesting article – Sample size alert, but some insight nonetheless:

I didn’t know who Stefan Elliott was until LT mentioned him. No doubt he is familiar to Bob Green. Musil or Moroz for Elliott? He would be a better bet than Rundblad. I could see him line up Davidson potentially. …..

78. haters says:

I’m a bit concerned we don’t have enough quality pkers on the team as things sit. I can’t believe I’m saying this but Horcoff might be a great add, being that he’s the best forward 5v3 in the league….

Lucic Maroon Nurse Kassian Pouliot

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Oilers were on the penilty kill before the puck drops on the first game of the year.

I respect people’s opinions on this blog (cept for WG 🙂 . I’ve never seen such a divide of fans over a trade before. Except when me and WG were arguing about Nuge and Johanson…. He thought Nuge was better or more valuable than RyJo …. Hahahah Woodmoney indeed lmao

79. Bruce McCurdy says:

Evilas:
    speeds,

Interesting article – Sample size alert, but some insight nonetheless:

Ididn’t know who Stefan Elliott was until LT mentioned him.No doubt he is familiar to Bob Green.Musil or Moro for Elliott?He would be a better bet than Rundblad. I could see him line up Davidson potentially. …..

I remember when Stefan Elliott & Tyson Barrie were fighting for the role of Colorado’s offensive/PP guy & I picked Eliiott in my fantasy draft. Oops.

80. Evilas says:

Here’s another article that mentions Elliott:

He could have been grabbed off waivers this year…..

Still not signed with Nashville, I am sure his agent would be all for a trade to Edmonton.

I would Not be against the signing of Gryba and a trade for Elliott to give him a shot and put some D depth on the roster…

Bruce McCurdy: With respect, is it possible for it to be a bad trade which nonetheless addresses balance within the context of it being a bad trade? Cuz to me LW still looks solid & RD looks one hell of a lot better than it did in April.

82. haters says:

If you measure a trade by strictly point totals than yes, huge loss.
    Larsson is a defencman last I checked.
    Also played against Top opposition forwards at around 22 mins per night.
    Hall is a left wing that scores at a decent rate and contributes a lot to scoring chances at about 17 mins per night.

Really hard to call this a win or loss for any team. Both players brought a lot to their respective teams.
    I doubt even after a couple years we will be any closer to the end of the debate. The perceived loss I think comes from the horrible year/years we have endured to obtain players like Hall and Nuge and now this new Gm comes in and boots the 2nd best player on the team without batting an eyelash.

But I also liked and still like the Reinhart trade so what do I know. 🙂

83. Klima's_Bucket says:

Bruce McCurdy,

I made the same mistake.

Great minds think alike?

Or is it not so great minds in this case?

84. Bruce McCurdy says:

Lowetide: Ah, but you are changing the conversation. I have said several times that the balance is improved on the roster and that Larsson is a bona fide addition. For me, those are two different conversations, and I would be thrilled to move on to discussing the Oilers as they currently stand.

not so much changing the conversation as having two non-parallel conversations at once, but sure, let’s leave it there.

85. Frank the dog says:

Klima’s_Bucket: 50 is the new 30.

Then what would 60 be? The new 40? Or 30 something?

86. G Money says:

Greenberg: I urge all of you to return to the offering by Evilas at 12:44 p.m. in which he cites a list of the 20 top NHL defencemen by an Eastern writer.

I suspect WoodMoney and Ricki the Bear might learn something here.

It’s an interesting list to be sure. You can tell it is a ‘statsy’ list, as it shows all the hallmarks of the statsy view of defensemen (e.g. Doughty low on the list, Shea Weber off the list, Ekblad too high).

My list would have many of the same names, but also some significant differences, as I hinted at in the things I pointed out in my ‘e.g.’.

It’s unclear – can you clarify what it is you expect I might ‘learn’ from this?

Or WoodGuy (who BTW has been on the Spurgeon bandwagon for years)?

(Ricki will continue to do what he always does)

87. Water Fire says:

I hope they bridge Leon because to sign him to 6 or 8 means they have to re-up him at the peak of his value, 27-29 YO or so.

So if you like the player you get to buy a lot of expensive decline. If you bridge him and try to have him under control until his early thirties, the re-up is cheaper and could be shorter if keeping, or he can be moved at peak value to replenish the team.

There are very few players that should retire with their drafting team, especially if the team has been good and drafting low. It is an absolute killer to staying good. Just ask the Canucks.

88. Just Who Is Tyler Benson? • The Oilers Rig says:

[…] third, many of his points were of the primary and even-strength variety. According to Lowetide, Benson’s “.700 even-strength points-per-game ranks him No. 2 among (first time) 2016 […]

89. Just Who Is Filip Berglund? • The Oilers Rig says:

[…] it comes to Oiler prospects. When he raves about a player, like he did about Berglund here (and here), it catches my […]