RE 16-17 MARK FAYNE: LUCRETIA MACEVIL

There was a time when defensive defensemen roamed freely across North America. Valued for their selflessness, toughness and willingness to put themselves in harm’s way, things like slow boots and passing inability were overlooked based on their courage alone. For today’s defensive defensemen, life as they know it is over. (Lucretia MacEvil).

MARK FAYNE 15-16

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.36 (5th among regular D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil (in two minutes)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 49.1
  • Qual Comp: toughest among regular D
  • Qual Team: 4th best available among regular D
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: -1.2
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 61 shots/3.3%
  • Boxcars: 69GP, 2-5-7
  • Information via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com, behindthenet.ca and hockey-reference.

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

OILERS D VOLLMAN BLUE 25 OR MORE

RE 16-17: 69GP, 1-4-5 .072

1. Not a chance Fayne plays 69 games. He is a pretty healthy and consistent blue.
  2. Best thing about him? When placed with Andrej Sekera—and that was a tough minutes pairing to be sure—Fayne sawed off the opposition at basically 50 percent.
  3. What is his most effective stat? Shift length.
  4. Haha. Damn. That is funny. It’s true. Fayne led the league in the category (tied with several).
  5. Is that a thing? Well, I think you could say that Mark Fayne was rarely on the ice when he was tired. Might have missed out on a few offensive sorties, but the team probably benefited.
  6. Would that have impacted his possession number? Maybe. It makes sense he would have missed out on a shot or two by heading to the bench for a timely change.
  7. Is everyone around 40? Darnell Nurse led the team, 47 seconds on average.
  8. So no big deal? I would argue that it is. Fresh troops and all that. Not in Corsi terms, but in terms of having the best and freshest on the ice. If Nurse averaged 25 shifts a night (he did) that is about three minutes a night where your rookie defenseman is burning daylight.
  9. You will do anything to defend the stay-at-homes. You should hear me talk about the shut-ins.
  10. What are his negatives? Fayne is not a puck moving defender and does not bring a lot of offense. He is not a grand option for an outlet pass. He does not have terrific speed.
  11. Anything else? He seemed to have a communication breakdown with the coach last season, causing him to end up in the minors. After what looked like a power struggle—speculation, your honor!—Fayne appeared to challenge forwards at the blue line more often as the year went along.
  12. He was cheating to get back on the dump in? I am not a defenseman, but that might be it. Fayne is a veteran and he probably knows how to cheat on the dump in better than a rookie. Suspect McLellan would notice. Now, this is me talking, mind. His demotion could have been over something unrelated.
  13. What do you like about him? He knows his role and is a veteran. Fayne when he came over: “Andy (Greene) and I usually played against the other team’s top line (in New Jersey) and they didn’t expect too much from us offensively. Eating up minutes against the top guys. It’s a definite challenge but it keeps you on your toes.”
  14. How much did he play at evens? Fayne was 15 minutes a night 5×5, behind (in order) Darnell Nurse, Andrej Sekera, Oscar Klefbom, Justin Schultz, Griffin Reinhart, Brandon Davidson, Eric Gryba.
  15. He trailed the whole team? Or, maybe the whole team needs to change quicker. Based on the Vollman, I think we can be reasonably sure that Fayne played the toughest opposition among RH blue.
  16. Will he do that again this year? Very unlikely. Adam Larsson should have that role.
  17. Is Fayne a long-term solution for Edmonton? I don’t think so, no.
  18. Why? The Oilers will—and should—find a more mobile top 4D option on the right side, and if Fayne is third pairing he is overpaid.
  19. Would another organization hire him? I think so, but Eric Gryba can play third pair for $2 million less so it wouldn’t be the easiest sell.
  20. Is Fayne better than Gryba? Oh lord yes. However, Fayne preventing goals on the third pairing is not as compelling as being on the top pair with Sekera. NHL teams like to spend markedly less on their support players.
  21. Why this song? It is about evil, and Fayne’s foe—the changing NHL game—is a pure demon. I think he is powerless to change what is about to happen to his career and his like—that means no future for the next Terry Harper or Bob Baun. Damn shame, I have always enjoyed this kind of player. It narrowly beat out this song by the way—I decided to run with the faster tune.
  22. Who is the last Bob Baun? I will pick Dylan McIlrath but it might be another.
  23. Name one thing that no longer exists that you miss? Hundreds. The Drive-in. Cuban lunch. The Oakland Seals. My youth!
  24. Haha. Is this Fayne’s last season in Edmonton? Don’t know. He has a contract through 2017-18, so he will either be bought out or play somewhere.
  25. Where would you play him next year? Second pairing, with Andrej Sekera. There is zero reason to move away from something that worked, and that tandem could be better than last year if Klefbom—Larsson can handle top pair. If they can’t, McLellan can just move up the veteran duo. It makes sense on many levels.
  26. Is Fayne the final D on the RE? Yes.
  27. Can you publish the group’s boxcars? Yes.

RE DEFENSE 2016-17

40 Responses to "RE 16-17 MARK FAYNE: LUCRETIA MACEVIL"

1. Mr DeBakey says:

You said it best early in the summer – if they, the Oilers, can find three better RHD then its sayanara Mark Fayne.
    They found one. Gawd I hope they found one.
    But anyhoo, lets rock n roll with Mark Fayne!

I’ve seen here several times that the Fayne contract is blocking the Oilers from signing Gryba.
    Too much similarity apparently.
    I think they come from two different D trees.
    Using Glory Daze references,
    Fayne comes from the Huddy jack-of-all-trades tree, while
    Gryba comes from the Jackson face-puncher-in tree.

2. Justthestatsman says:

Dang, I could really go for a Cuban lunch about now. It was my favourite. As a young teenager I kind of enjoyed Uncle Ben’s pop served in the stubby beer bottles too. Made me feel like a rebel.

3. Alpine says:

Mr DeBakey,

If you split peak Steve Staios in half, one half would be Fayne and one half would be Gryba. Or maybe peak Gator would work better there.

4. leadfarmer says:

Fayne was born 10 years too late.

If Sekera is the only defenseman that doesn’t miss more than 10% of the season we are in trouble. That right side does not have the depth to take on all those injuries. If you take a look at some other teams like the Wild had 4 defensemen that played 73 games or more, the Sharks had 3 guys that played 76 games or more. NJD had 4 dmen that played 72 games Florida 3 guys playing at least 73 games and the Jets had 5 guys playing 70 games or more. D men get injured but this is a ridiculous level of injury.

Mr DeBakey:
    They found one.Gawd I hope they found one.
    But anyhoo, lets rock n roll with Mark Fayne!

Too much similarity apparently.
    I think they come from two different D trees.
    Using Glory Daze references,
    Fayne comes from the Huddy jack-of-all-trades tree, while
    Gryba comes from the Jackson face-puncher-in tree.

Huddy could skate, pass, and shoot. Fayne can’t do any of those things. Fayne is a less mobile Jason Smith, who is also less physical, a poorer passer, with a worse shot. And Fayne has to play with an experienced mobile skilled veteran to be effective.

2nd pairing with Sekera is fine. Keep him away from Nurse and Reinhart.

6. OF17 says:

Alpine:
    Mr DeBakey,

I like that comparison. Peak Staios had more offense than either and probably not enough grit to make the Gryba half, but Gator had the grit and less offense. Significantly more offense than either Fayne or Gryba mind, but part of that is a higher scoring era and part of that is just how inept offensively the two are.

7. Mr DeBakey says:

godot10: Huddy could skate, pass, and shoot. Fayne can’t do any of those things.

You’ll notice I was careful not to directly compare the two.
    Because
    by 80s standards, Huddy was indeed a better skater, passer and shooter than Fayne is by today’s standards.

8. Oilspill says:

Funny you think Gryba is nothing more than a goon. I saw him as a guy who can play(with decent players) the physical game creating turnovers and winning puck battles. I see him strong in front of the net. Fayne is none of the above. If Fayne was tradable (who wants a dman who can’t do offense or defense) he be gone. I’m sure the old boys club want to keep him around in order to save face. Fayne is an anchor and not the good kind.

Mr DeBakey:
    They found one.Gawd I hope they found one.
    But anyhoo, lets rock n roll with Mark Fayne!

Too much similarity apparently.
    I think they come from two different D trees.
    Using Glory Daze references,
    Fayne comes from the Huddy jack-of-all-trades tree, while
    Gryba comes from the Jackson face-puncher-in tree.

9. Water Fire says:

The Oilers are in a transition point and as it stands can pay Fayne to play 3RD because of ELC’s and no internal cap that we know of.

Assuming nothing comes up that Chia likes we might see Fayne in the role Larsson had getting a lot of D zone with Davidson at evens and a lot of PK . His ES minutes will be at the lower end.

They’ll try the Swedes as first pair and. Perhaps Nurse and Sekera on the right as easier minutes 2nd pair getting easier comp and more O zone. Sekera can mentor.

Davidson might win some PP but I bet they give Larsson and Nurse a shot first.

10. Mr DeBakey says:

Oilspill: Funny you think Gryba is nothing more than a goon.

I don’t.
    I think Gryba is an adequate bottom pairing defender who brings the ever-popular “physical element”.
    I think Fayne is a passable second-pairing guy. I believe the Woodmoney numbers agree with me here.

11. Klima's_Bucket says:

“You will do anything to defend the stay-at-homes.”

My dad always told me Dmen that are referred to as stay-at-home types live up to their name.

The team is better off if they stay-at-home.

12. jake70 says:

Not sure if mentioned but Taylor Hall was on for interview on Tim and Sid earlier tonight. Some interesting tidbits.

13. pocession charge says:

Fayne was awful to start the year. After his reminder visit to Bakersfield, he looked a lot more engaged to my eye (tightened his gap control, playing more physical). He’s never going to be an offensive guy, but has the ability to play a decent defensive game. I see him as a solid 3rd pairing guy.

14. Ryan says:

jake70:
    Not sure if mentioned but Taylor Hall was on for interview on Tim and Sid earlier tonight.Some interesting tidbits.

Gonna miss Hallsy.

15. Ryan says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    “You will do anything to defend the stay-at-homes.”

The team is better off if they stay-at-home.

Lordy, there’s not much offense in Lowetide’s dmen boxcars.

This bubble won’t grow much.

16. Oilspill says:

Oh the reliable repeatable shot based numbers.lol ie Mark Fistric etc.

Mr DeBakey: I don’t.
    I think Fayne is a passable second-pairing guy.I believe the Woodmoney numbers agree with me here.

17. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Ryan: As hypervigilant Oilers fans, if Larsson had said that he felt that he got the short end of the stick (as Hall said), we’d be all over that.

Gonna miss Hallsy.

Hall said a lot of the right things; if a person can’t see that they’re misinterpreting what he said and why. Anyone who’s ever been fired/laid off will know the angst that comes with the territory, especially when they had viewed themselves as a part of the solution.

18. Centre of attention says:

Gonna miss Hallsy.

Hall definitely got the short end of the stick. He sacrificed his friggen’ body and probably a couple years off the tail end of his career playing his heart out for a last place team. You can’t ask him to try any harder than he did. The fact people STILL don’t appreciate what he did for the team is crazy.

To be clear, you can be critical of certain aspects of his game while still appreciating his overall talent, and what he brought to the ice every night.

When the team was down 3-0 at home, and the crowd was getting rowdy and upset…who stepped on to the ice, snatched the puck from the opposition, and skated down to score, giving the crowd something to cheer for? You bet your ass it was Taylor Hall. Or Hall set him up. What was Halls Individual Points Percentage? Wasn’t it like almost leading the league? That’s because the Oilers hardly ever did jack sh*t in the offensive zone unless Taylor Hall got them there.

The “If you’re not Connor, you have a good chance to be traded at some point” comment is curious. If they are trading Nuge and Ebs, they better have some replacements in mind….oh yeah. The 18 and 20 year olds they just drafted. Right. I know how this story goes. *Pours another drink*

19. PunjabiOil says:

You can tell from the interview Hall is bitter and upset, and rightfully so. He was heavily invested in both the city and the team, and this is where his heart was. His contributions were never fully appreciated or valued by Oiler fans (on a collective basis), nor by management. By playing on the Oilers, it cost him 2 prime tournament appearances (2014 Olympics, 2016 World Cup). He did alot for the team, was their best player, and Chiarelli feels comfortably moving him because they got Puljujarvi? On top of that, they send him to a team depleted of talent. It could be 9 or 10 years into his career before Taylor Hall sees the playoffs.

I maintain it was not a trade the Oilers had to make, especially since they’re not (looking) a playoff team at this point. Chiarelli closed doors himself by refusing to deal Draisaitl, Nurse, or Puljujarvi – all tradeable assets that carried value due to the ELC’s – and all players inferior to Hall.

The real consequences will be felt if Larsson is not a 1st pairing defenceman and/or carry a defence pairing himself.

I will be rooting for him to succeed, but is a black mark for the organization. It’s a betrayal to the fanbase.

20. Water Fire says:

I think we need to have new descriptions of player type for the current type of play in the league.

I don’t think basic ability is optional for gritensity anymore. The range starts at competent (skate and pass) and moves to players able to deliver quality play consistently (IQ) and deliver offense (skill and aggressiveness) while playing other better players.

An example from the cup winners this year would be Lovejoy to Letang. Lovejoy can skate and pass but he doesn’t score a lot and the quality isn’t there in consistency of play. But played at the right level he’s competent and helpful and can play against a range of players giving the coach options that aren’t hopeless.

This is the problem the Oilers have. Extremely one dimensional players push workload onto their teammates. It also leads to others being overplayed and facing tougher comp more regularly.

The end result is firstly more injuries. The Oilers make these roster decisions year in and out and hit the top of the league in injuries year in and out. It is related.

There is also the finishing last thing.

21. Ryan says:

BornInAGretzkyJersey: Hall said a lot of the right things; if a person can’t see that they’re misinterpreting what he said and why.Anyone who’s ever been fired/laid off will know the angst that comes with the territory, especially when they had viewed themselves as a part of the solution.

Well, I’m nearly certain that you understand what I am suggesting.

If player x,y, or z were traded to the Oilers… And they said that they felt that they got the short end of the stick… Then we’d all assume that they were resentful about being traded to Siberia.

If I were a Jersey fan, I wouldn’t like hearing that he felt that he got the short end of the stick. I agree with Hall and I think that he’s clearly being honest. To reiterate, it’s not something that I would want to hear if I were a Jersey fan…

22. Ryan says:

Ryan: Well, I’m nearly certain that you understand what I am suggesting.

If player x,y, or z were traded to the Oilers… And they said that they felt that they got the short end of the stick…Then we’d all assume that they were resentful about being traded to Siberia.

If I were a Jersey fan, I wouldn’t like hearing that he felt that he got the short end of the stick.I agree with Hall and I think that he’s clearly being honest.To reiterate, it’s not something that I would want to hear if I were a Jersey fan…

To that point, if Hall had been traded to the Pens, Blackhawks, or Kings, does anyone here think that he would have lamented getting the short end of the stick?

23. Water Fire says:

So the point of all that is that descriptions of players that mean limited skating and puck skills aren’t helpful anymore and really those player types shouldn’t be on the NHL team anymore.

If defensive defensman means ‘zamboni tows to top of crease to cross check good players, clubs puck at other end’ we’re on the wrong track.

If offensive defensman means Schultz or guys that get crushed in goal diff then I don’t think that is good either. I don’t see many cup winners using players like that much, Pens being the recent example. They have guys like Letang, Doughty and Keith who kill it on every part of the ice and do it against the best.

The Oilers then have a nice group of guys that fit the current NHL: Larsson, Klefbom, Sekera, Davidson, Nurse, probably Reinhart. Until somebody takes a step they lack the elite player that plays all parts of the ice against anybody and also gets points. I still think it’s a group that if healthy can get things done and has depth.

24. Ryan says:

Centre of attention,

I am not disputing whether or Hall got the short end of the stick rather whether or not it was wise of him to make the comment.

25. PunjabiOil says:

Ryan:

The Jersey fans can console themselves with a bucket of KFC. All 451 of them.

26. PunjabiOil says:

Ryan:
    Centre of attention,

That’s one of the things I always liked about Hall. Guy was articulate and spoke from the heart.

27. OilClog says:

Fayne is replacing Nikitin

No cure for cement feet.

28. slopitch says:

Relax everyone. Taylor Hall will get his cup as an oiler in 2020.

29. mumbai max says:

Cuban Lunch!!

30. G Money says:

According to Kurt Leavins, the Oilers have offered Gryba a PTO.

Not sure if he’s actually heard something, or he’s interpreting this paragraph from the Sun article:

Three NHL teams have offered Gryba, who is taking part in Perry Pearn’s annual 3-on-3 summer camp, professional tryout look-sees for camp. His first choice is to return to the Oilers but they aren’t offering a contract, yet.

as meaning a PTO has been proferred.

31. G Money says:

Mr DeBakey,

Heh heh heh, referencing WoodMoneys or any evidence really to that guy who can’t contain his hydrocarbons is like referencing a medical research paper on the immune system to an anti-vaxxer.

It’s water off a ducks back, assuming said bedraggled duck was swimming around under Niagara Falls loudly proclaiming what a beautiful dry day it is.

I hope you and all those silly scientists you call friends wear your newly minted ‘sheeple’ badge with pride!

32. G Money says:

Greatest scientific achievement ever?

science helped this dog see again pic.twitter.com/baab1aKmQb— michael koh (@ughHugs) 22 August 2016

33. Centre of attention says:

G Money:
    Greatest scientific achievement ever?

The invention of the vaccine?

ps: Glad the pup is ok too!

34. Jaxon says:

LaLeggia Booster Club President, here. Bold Prediction: I would swap LaLeggia and Oesterle GP and add 11 points.

LaLeggia: 44GP, 19Pts.
    Oesterle: 4GP, 1Pt.

35. russ99 says:

For a stay-at-home defenseman, Fayne was late gettiing back to the crease, blew assignments and missed coverage way too often.

Maybe that was partially an adjustment to a new team that’s not as defense conscious as New Jersey, tougher sorties vs. West teams, forwards that tend to float and a new no-nonsense coach. But at least part of it has to be eroding skills.

I’m much more concerned as to what a Sekera – Fayne pairing does to Sekera.

Based on his past with better partners, Sekera should be giving us more, and I’m wondering if Fayne’s early pinch, slow to get back and missing assignments in the crease is keeping Sekera on his back foot more than he should be, and limiting how effective Sekera is going the other way.

I’d much prefer Sekera with a better RHD, or at worst, Davidson moved to his right side.

Fayne would best be utilized as a third pair to cover for and mentor the kid on the left side anyway.

36. frjohnk says:

Jaxon:

LaLeggia: 44GP, 19Pts.
    Oesterle: 4GP, 1Pt.

If you are talking AHL, I could see that.

LaLeggia got a few of his points last year in the AHL as a forward when he was bumped out from the backend. So his year end totals were inflated somewhat if we are looking at him as a D prospect. So 19 pts in 44 GP is not out of the question in the AHL. That’s 29 points in 68 games pro rated. Id hope for more from a prospect like him though.

Lets see if he can play a whole year on the backend in the AHL and play competent defense before we see him up with the big club.

37. Jaxon says:

frjohnk,

He definitely had an adjustment season in the AHL. However, his final totals and his time on forward don’t tell the whole picture. He led all Bakersfield rookies in scoring and was the team’s leader in +/-. But he was not handled well. They should not have been giving Hunt his minutes and probably should have let him stick to D with more minutes. The forward experiment was not what the propsect needed. He did play on forward for a month or so, but I don’t think that necessarily padded his stats. A few game day rosters I found on twitter had him playing on the 4th line with Braden Christoffer, hardly a place to be gifted points. From November 27th to February 10th he scored 19 pts in 23 games. And I do know a big chunk of those games were on D and some of the ones on forward were 4th line minutes as mentioned. I wish I had more exact numbers on how much D he played during that period, but he was approaching 1 pt/gp territory as a rookie forward-D hyphenate. He is still tracking very close with Alex Goligoski’s career. Goligoski didn’t become a full time NHLer until his Draft+7 season. LaLeggia is now entering his Draft+7 Age Season. He was drafted in his 3rd year of eligibility. If he shoots the lights out in his first 25 games, I think we just might see him up, and he just might stick. He is one of the only offensive D in the system who can really QB a PP.

38. frjohnk says:

Jaxon:
    frjohnk,

He definitely had an adjustment season in the AHL. However, his final totals and his time on forward don’t tell the whole picture. He led all Bakersfield rookies in scoring. He was not handled well. They should not have been giving Hunt his minutes and probably should have let him stick to D with more minutes. The forward experiment was not what the propsect needed. He did play on forward for a month or so, but I don’t think that necessarily padded his stats. A few game day rosters I found on twitter had him playing on the 4th line with Braden Christoffer, hardly a place to be gifted points. From November 27th to February 5th he scored 19 pts in 23 games. And I do know a big chunk of those games were on D and some of the ones on forward were 4th line minutes as mentioned. I wish I had more exact numbers on how much D he played during that period, but he was approaching 1 pt/gp territory as a rookie forward-D hyphenate. He is still tracking very close with Alex Goligoski’s career. Goligoski didn’t become a full time NHLer until his Draft+7 season. LaLeggia is now entering his Draft+7 Age Season. He was drafted in his 3rd year of eligibility.If he shoots the lights out in his first 25 games, I think we just might see him up, and he just might stick. He is one of the only offensive D in the system who can really QB a PP.

Its not his offense that I question. His skill is very good. Its probably close to NHL caliber, its his defensive game that I question. And being small does not help.

There are a lot of smaller D men who score well in college/jr and then do OK in the AHL, but then when it comes to the NHL, their game just does not translate and they never really make it. Because his sample size is quite small in the AHL, he has not really shown much in the AHL defensively. Add to the fact that the gap between the forwards in the AHL compared to the forwards in the NHL is huge, it would be so Oilers to bring him up this year and watch him get eaten alive in his own end.

If he can play Brad Hunts minutes and put up Brad Hunt points while playing good D in the AHL then yeah, bring him up at the end of the year for a cup of coffee.

But if he can be our Gots-to-be-here guy for us this year, I wont complain 🙂

39. doritogrande says:

Who is the last Bob Baun? I will pick Dylan McIlrath but it might be another.

Until teams stop drafting the Logan Stanley’s in round one, there will always be examples. Just as there will always be the kids who think Big Band is the bees knees.

russ99:

Fayne is NOT the mentor type of defensemen because he has poor recovery skills when the play goes bad. Fayne has to play with a seasoned puck moving veteran to be effective. The worst situation one could put Fayne in is with a young defensemen who makes plenty of mistakes