BENNING STREET

At the 2012 NHL draft, Peter Chiarelli and his Boston Bruins scouting staff chose Matt Benning in the sixth round. These many days later, Benning is deciding which team to sign with, and as you know, Edmonton has a real shot. Benning has progressed pretty well since his draft day, and despite what some will tell you this represents a very attractive match between team and player.

MATT BENNING, POTENTIAL NEW DEFENSEMAN

• Shoots Right
  • 6.0, 203
  • Boxcars: 41, 6-13-19
  • Team Rank: No. 2 scorer among defenders on Northeastern team
  • NHL equivalency: 82, 4-10-14
  • 2010-11 AJHL Champion Spruce Grove Saints
  • 2012-13 Clark Cup Champion Dubuque Fighting Saints
  • 2015-16 NCAA Hockey East Champion Northeastern University Huskies

In today’s crazy busy world (quick: What did you have for breakfast last Thursday morning?) it pays to make things simple in order to keep the attention of the reader (and my brain). Here are the Oilers draft picks in 2012, with the Bruins picks slotted in order—and as a special bonus—each player’s NHLE this past season.

OILERS 2012 DRAFT WITH 2016 NHLE

• No. 1 Nail Yakupov (Actual 60, 8-15-23)
  • No. 32 Mitch Moroz (NHLE 9.6)
  • No. 63 Jujhar Khaira (NHLE 21.2)
  • No. 91 Daniil Zharkov (Injured did not play)
  • No. 93 Erik Gustafsson (Actual 41, 0-14-14)
  • No. 123 Joey Laleggia (NHLE 16.5)
  • No. 153 John McCarron (NHLE 11.0)

BRUINS 2012 DRAFT WITH 2016 NHLE

• No. 24 Malcolm Subban (AHL SP .911)
  • No. 85 Matt Grzelcyk (NHLE 25.8)
  • No. 131 Seth Griffith (NHLE 52.0)
  • No. 145 Cody Payne (Injured did not play)
  • No. 175 Matthew Benning (NHLE: 14.1)
  • No. 205 Colton Hargrove (NHLE: 17.5)

If the Oilers get Benning—and they have a chance—how many prospects are clearly better than he is on the Oilers list? Yakupov? Yes. I think the Russian—even now—will have a more valuable future. After that? I think Khaira and Gustafsson have to be considered as superior based on being farther along. That could change, but I am comfortable saying that Benning would be behind those three men.

Bruins? I would argue that Subban, Grzelcyk and Griffith (who had a silly AHL season, someone give him an NHL job) are probably more substantial prospects. What about you? Love to hear your answer in the comments section.

WHERE WOULD BENNING RANK ON THE OILERS PRO DEPTH CHART?

1. LD Oscar Klefbom—RD Adam Larsson
  2. LD Andrej Sekera—RD Mark Fayne
  3. LD Darnell Nurse—LD Brandon Davidson
  4. LD Griffin Reinhart—LD Jordan Oesterle
  5. LD David Musil—LD Dillon Simpson
  6. LD Mark Fraser—RD Matt Benning
  7. LD Joey Laleggia—RD Frank Simonelli
  8. LD Ben BetkerLD Michael Tam
  9. LD Andrew FerenceLTIR.

Benning’s offense is best expressed (again) by NHLE, so here are the numbers among prospects who are likely to spend significant time in the AHL this year:

1. LD Jordan Oesterle 21.9
  2. RD Matt Benning 14.1
  3. LD Dillon Simpson 13.5
  4. LD Griffin Reinhart 12.8
  5. LD Colton Waltz 10.2
  6. LD David Musil 8.1
  7. LD Ben Betker 6.2
  8. LD Frank Simonelli 5.5
  9. LD Mark Fraser 4.4

Benning’s offensive resume appears to be on par with Dillon Simpson and he does appear to be a player who we could include in the group who might handle a two-way role. Combine that with his scouting report and it will be interesting to see where he lands.

• Kirk Luedeke, The Scouting Post: Although he has just average height, Benning is a punishing hitter who moves around the ice initiating contact.  He’s got the vision and a soft touch on the puck to be effective in the transition game, and he also showed some improved power on his point shot this season for the Huskies. He’s not a flashy or dynamic offensive presence, but he chips in with key production, as he did in helping the Dubuque Fighting Saints to the USHL’s 2013 league championship. Benning is positionally savvy with a willingness to do the dirty work and like his dad, Brian, might be one of those players who goes on to fashion a solid if unspectacular NHL career because of his versatility and smarts. Source

78 Responses to "BENNING STREET"

1. OF17 says:

I’ll take a decent NHL prospect for the price of a contract any day, especially one that addresses an organizational need as much as Benning would.

The Oilers are probably a pretty attractive team to NCAA free agents. I’ve read in accounts from agents that opportunity is the biggest thing the second-tier guys look for, and between Arcobello, Miller, and Oesterle, the Oilers have a lot of recent history in giving those guys a chance to show their stuff.

2. Klima's_Bucket says:

Last Thursday Morning I had what I always have for breakfast.
    Nothing.

3. TheOtherJohn says:

I’d rank Benning above Frank Simonetti and Mark Fraser on our 50 man roster.

Oh, your question was as against the Oilers 2012 draft list: — I’d rank him 6th.

I have no clue why we would even be thinking of signing this 6th round pick that was unsigned by Boston.

Head of scouting that drafted Matt was Uncle Jim

4. Klima's_Bucket says:

Is TCAF still the Captain?

TheOtherJohn:
    I’d rank Benning above Frank Simonetti and Mark Fraser on our 50 man roster.

Head of scouting that drafted Matt was Uncle Jim

6. OF17 says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Is TCAF still the Captain?

Andrew Ference? Hasn’t been captain for almost a calendar year now.

7. G Money says:

Speaking of Uncle Jim, the “Benning on Empty” series is must read TV!

8. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: He is a legit prospect who chose not to sign with Boston. This isn’t a nothing prospect, surprised how many people are so negative about these college signings. More the merrier!

Centre of attention: I’ve actually been thrilled with Bob Green’s NCAA work since taking over. Oesterle is a useful player, Cagguila will have an NHL career IMO. Keep em’ coming “Beautiful Bob™” !

10. Klima's_Bucket says:

OF17,

Sorry, I mean is he still one of the alternates.

I believe they ran 4 alternates last year. And cycled them through, but now Ference is LTIR and Hall has been traded.

Just wondering when Connor gets named Captain if TfCAF will be the one to lose his ‘A’

11. Klima's_Bucket says:

Lowetide: this one is a good signing for need and suggests the rightorium is a priority.

And rightly so!

Moose:
    LT,

You seem to have a unfettered love for Colton Waltz, as he constantly appears on your depth charts. If memory serves, he was just PTO signing for Bakersfield at the end of the year to make up the numbers for the playoff push (due to Oiler call-ups).

To the best of my knowledge he does not have a contract for this season. The Condors sight includes all of their players on AHL deals only and doesn’t have him listed either.

Have you heard something different?

Sad songs and Colton Waltzes aren’t selling this year. 🙂 Thanks, I must have missed it.

13. Ducey says:

Yep. I would be very happy if they signed him. He has a chance to be a RH Davidson/ Huddy.

If you can get a RH potential 3rd pairing defenseman for free, go for it.

He would be especially valuable as he would slot ahead of Bear, Bergland, Marino as a RH who will play pro this winter.

14. Evilas says:

I’d like to see Stefan Elliott acquired as well, it’s very strange that he hasn’t signed with the Preds yet….. Still need that offensive element brought in. Any other FA’s on the radar?

Joey Laleggia had a more substantial college career, did he not? Roughly equivalent prospects, with Laleggia being an offensive D, and Benning a more defensive one.

16. Ducey says:

Question for you LT. I know you like your small guys. Would you trade Yak for Griffith straight up?

Ducey:

18. TheOtherJohn says:

Do not think Benning is same level of pro prospect as Dillion Simpson. And I do not think Simpson will have a NHL career. Do not think Simpson, Osterle or Benning will play 100 NHL between them collectively from today forward.

But he is a RH D so at least there’s that.

3rd pairing NHL D can be signed every year as FA’s

godot10:
    Joey Laleggia had a more substantial college career, did he not?Roughly equivalent prospects, with Laleggia being an offensive D, and Benning a more defensive one.

And Benning being righthanded.

20. Glass says:

Chiarelli is on a roll as far as stocking the AHL system, Matt Benning would be the cherry on top!

21. Klima's_Bucket says:

I choose to interpret this as fact that you hate Yak so much that you don’t even want him on the Bruins!
    Because we all need a good narrative.

G Money:
    Speaking of Uncle Jim, the “Benning on Empty” series is must read TV!

Thanks for that.

23. Centre of attention says:

Ducey:

I think Yak is worth more to the team than he is on the trade market. I’m sure Peter Chiarelli has his own thoughts though, so who the hell knows.

Spector seems to think Yak has a chance to “change the narrative surrounding him” this year. Spector hears things, and has been very critical of Yak in the past so when he says Yak has a chance I take him at his word.

I am guilty of doubting Yak’s chances in the upcoming season, as well as in the past . But after seeing him work his ass off this summer after all the bullsh*t (I follow him on social media) still rocking an Oilers jersey the whole time has me doubting my original pessimism. I have this odd feeling Yak surprises even his most ardent supporters this year.

Opposing teams fans will be watching the Oilers this upcoming season and saying stuff like:

Flames Fan 1: “Who’s that Yak guy again, I vaguely remember that name… ”

Flames Fan 2: “He’s their other, other, OTHER first overall pick, I think the third one in a row? Yeah.”

Flames Fan 1: “They f*cking rigged the system. Ridiculous. How can they lose a trade involving a former first-over-all winger and just pull another one out of the closet and fill the void?”

Flames fan 2: “Un-freaking-believable.”

Haha. Now that I’ve typed out this massive post regarding my new positive belief in Yak they are going to trade his ass. 100%. You can all blame me now when it inevitably happens.

Lowetide: And Benning being righthanded.

BECAUSE BENNING IS RELATED TO BENNING AND CHIA DRAFTED HIM THAT MEANS HE’S GARBAGE AND I CAN’T BELIEVE THE OILERS WOULD WANT HIM ACTUALLY I BELIEVE THEY WOULD BECAUSE THEY’RE AWFUL I HAVE NO IDEA HOW SHALLOW THE OILER POOL OF RHD PROSPECTS ARE ACTUALLY I DO BUT I DON’T CARE BECAUSE BENNING IS BENNING AND IF CHAI DRAFTED HIM HE’S SHITE AND OMG THEYRE GONNA MISS THE PLAYOFFS AGAIN AND FUCK THEM FOR TRADING HALL EVERYTHING BENNING I MEAN CHIARELLI DOES IS SHIT THIS IS SHIT THE PLAYER IS SHIT WHY DON’T THEY SIGN SOME NON-NHLER WHO HAS GOOD CORSI IN 8 FUCKING GAME IN THE MOST PROTECTED MINUTES CREATED BY MAN OR MACHINE LIKE RUNBLAD WHO NEVER DID ANYTHING BUT IS A REAL ANOMALY IN HIS SMALL SAMPLE THAT IS MORE PROTECTED THAN PANDA BEARS WHY DOES CHIARELLI HAVE TO SUCK AND LIKE GRITENSITY PLAYERS LIKE BENNING EVEN THOUGH BENNING HAS NICE OFFENCE BUT FUCKIT I’M NOT MENTIONING IT BECAUSE IT HARSHES MY NARRATIVE BENNING SUCKS CHIARELLI SUCK THIS SUCKS YOU SUCK FUCK THE OILERS THEY HAVE SHITE MANAGEMENT.

Lowetide: I was pleased with the early group (Ellis, Caggiula, Russell) but this one is a good signing for need and suggests the rightorium is a priority.

It make sense on pretty much every level.

Anyone against it probably tweeted by post above this one.

26. Klima's_Bucket says:

Woodguy,

This.

27. G Money says:

Woodguy,

Well said.

And those Panda Bears can just go fuck off I say.

28. G Money says:

Centre of attention: You can all blame me now when it inevitably happens.

If it’s any consolation, I was going to blame you anyway.

29. Klima's_Bucket says:

G Money,

At least you’re not blaming Eakins.
    Unless, of course, you’re blaming Centre of attention for Eakins.
    Then things could get interesting.

30. Centre of attention says:

G Money: If it’s any consolation, I was going to blame you anyway.

Your blame would be justified. I have been secretly attending every Oilers game that Yak plays and rubbing Bumble Bee attack pheromones all over his equipment. Then I release two colonies of bio-engineered invisible Bee’s into the rink, who instantly key in on Yak. I have a repellent around the Oilers bench area though so he doesn’t get needlessly punished there. He gets enough of a shellacking from the coach because of the bee’s anyways.

Now, this season I suddenly ran out of pheromones, hence my redacted pessimism regarding his upcoming season.

Muhahaha!

31. Ryan says:

Woodguy,

I will say this…

History will eventually reveal the answer.

An innovative GM would have kept Hall because he’s a piss cutter.

He would have shopped Draisatl because his perceived value based on draft pedigree, Hall buoyed results, and coveted large centre status is high.

He would have also shopped Nurse because his perceived value far outweighs his actual current results. He has draft pedigree,grittensity, tools, immunity to expansion draft…

There is risk both in deals Chiapete has made, but also in those he hasn’t.

32. Centre of attention says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    G Money,

At least you’re not blaming Eakins.
    Unless, of course, you’re blaming Centre of attention for Eakins.
    Then things could get interesting.

To be fair, Eakins was MacT’s hire. My blame rests squarely on MacT (Chia has to own some too) for the whole Hall situation, but I was agreeing with Godot’s assessment that Eakins had a negative effect on Hall’s development. That’s not really Eakins’s fault, he was a rookie coach given a poor roster, but there was obviously a disconnect with Taylor Hall. I’m sorry if my original comment was taken as me purely blaming Eakins. That is not what I was trying to do.

The Stauffer/Dellow comment by Godot was what I was mainly agreeing with. Eakins tried to change Halls game, it didn’t work and MacT was forced to fire his own guy and look like an idiot because of it. He partly blamed Hall for this I guarantee, leading to some lingering negativity there.

Now picture this, they get around the round table this summer and begin to discuss whether or not to trade Hall. MacT is a vice chair, so he uses his leverage to tip the scales in favor of trading Taylor because I believe that is exactly the kind of petty sh*t Craig and (previously) his buddy Kevin get up too

If you want to keep digging, MacT’s ill-advised handling of Jeff Petry also significantly contributed to Hall’s departure.

This is all of course my opinion and you should treat it as such. Obviously we don’t know what actually happened behind the scenes, so I’m only speculating.

Woodguy,

I never really understood the Runblad love. He’s definitely what I would describe as an anomaly. Didn’t Nikitin have some funky numbers too that didn’t match the eye test? Maybe I’m mistaken there.

33. G Money says:

It’s an interesting enough result that I will write it up as an article, but after running the numbers on handedness for wingers:

– off hand wingers score more goals, put up more points
    – their CF% and DFF% is generally higher than on hand wingers
    – the better CF% and DFF% are earned by both a slight increase in attack rates as well as a slight reduction in defense rates (i.e. better on both counts), contrary to the idea of defensive problems
    – as I mentioned earlier, there is a very distinct Russian bias on left wingers being right shots, and a very distinct Russian+European bias to right wingers being left shots

None of this indicates that playing a winger on his off hand is automatically a good thing, since
    a. there are far fewer off hand wingers than on hand wingers, which is problematic in and off itself for comparison, and
    b. the selection process for how those wingers ended up off hand (and making the resulting comparisons) has all kinds of confounding factors involved

It does say to me that:
    – wingers being off hand doesn’t appear to be as big a problem as we find with defensemen
    – more in depth study is warranted

34. G Money says:

Klima’s_Bucket,

Let’s just say I haven’t yet ruled out blaming CoA for Eakins.

Centre of attention,

This is actually a very plausible explanation for Yak’s mishaps.

Centre of attention: Didn’t Nikitin have some funky numbers too

Yes. Double Agent continues to break the fancystats, even the dangerous ones.

G: I wonder if the offhanded group is aided by being exceptional. I think the names we would associate with being offhanded—Ovechkin, Hossa, etc—probably overcame bias partly because they were in fact exceptional. Lessers, and Nail has had to face this from time to time (iirc Eakins wanted him LW but that might have been Ralph), might be more effective offhand but just like my Grandma who got the ruler when trying to write left, these prospects may have had it ironed out of them.

No evidence of course, just free form jazzing.

G Money:

– off hand wingers score more goals, put up more points
    – their CF% and DFF% is generally higher than on hand wingers

It does say to me that:
    – more in depth study is warranted

Dmen need to get puck out – handedness helps

Forwards need to get the puck to the net – off handedness helps

For a guy like Yak who was godawful at getting the puck from the high boards in the dzone to the man/spot the puck needed to go, it was an issue, but I bet the better F’s over compensate with better shots on net from better spots.

37. digger50 says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    OF17,

Sorry, I mean is he still one of the alternates.

Please no.

Just let the kid play hockey.

38. Centre of attention says:

Woodguy: Dmen need to get puck out – handedness helps

Forwards need to get the puck to the net – off handedness helps

Agreed 100%. That play at the high boards kills Yak every time. He also has a tough time sealing the boards during entries when the puck gets rimmed around. He gets it off the boards awkwardly and the opposition LW can usually poke it out of the zone leading to an offside.

39. G Money says:

First attempt at sous vide steak, wish me luck.

40. Centre of attention says:

G Money:
    Fsous vide steak

Is that french for “Montreal steak spice and medium rare”? Haha.

41. Klima's_Bucket says:

G Money,

Let me know how it goes.

42. G Money says:

I do believe this is one of those confounding factors. I will be listing the entire group of off hand winger as it’s a relatively small group in comparison.

43. LadiesloveSmid says:

right handed Dillon Simpson? that would hold a lot of value to this org imo

I’m gonna teach my future kids to use those flat bladed sticks and become ambidextrous so they can fill whichever handed Dmen the oilers are missing 30 years from now

G Money:
    Subscribe to our RSS FeedFollow us on Twitter

HomeContact

Get some soy sauce just in case.

45. Mr DeBakey says:

Nothing kills a thread like a sous vide steak discussion.

Mr DeBakey:
    Nothing kills a thread like a sous vide steak discussion.

The piano had been drinking.

Mr DeBakey:
    Nothing kills a thread like a sous vide steak discussion.

48. Klima's_Bucket says:

Mr DeBakey: Nothing kills a thread like a sous vide steak discussion.

Shall we go over the Hall/Larsson trade again?

49. Centre of attention says:

No evidence of course, just free form jazzing.

Me and G were just talking in DM’s about Yak on LW. McLellan tried him there too for awhile.

According to corsica, Yak-McDavid-Eberle had 66% DFF% and 51% corsi. Absolutely deadly line.

Maybe Eakins/Ralph/McLellan are onto something with Yak at LW? Would love the groups input.

50. Gordies Elbow says:

G Money:
    First attempt at sous vide steak, wish me luck.

Need’s more info.

Ribeye? Weight? Time?

Personally, 1.75″ tenderloin, Anova at 131′ @ 3:30, BGE at 600′ mesquite for 90 seconds per quarter. Salt to taste.

51. LadiesloveSmid says:

Klima’s_Bucket: Shall we go over the Hall/Larsson trade again?

On LT’s show yesterday or monday he compared the sounds from KHL highlights to heavy drugs, and missed being able to check Paigin’s ice time today. Can’t wait for the world cup, honestly. Canada’s poor decision making on personnel makes me like U23’s odds more and more.

If they deploy their defence right, U23’s could be in contention with everyone but Sweden’s D. Parayko, Trouba, Ekblad need to play a ton I’d think. What are people’s thoughts on Rielly/Jones/Murray/Gostisbehere’s underlying numbers? Don’t know that I’m in love with any of them

52. Klima's_Bucket says:

LadiesloveSmid,

That under 23 team should have a potent PP.

McDavid, Eichel, Ghost, Ekblad and someone in front of the net.

53. Gerta Rauss says:

LadiesloveSmid: Hall/Larsson? Marincin? Moroz pick? Petry trade/challenge? Eberle’s value? Any other horse we haven’t beaten past death?

Shawn Horcoff is a first line center..!!

54. G Money says:

Centre of attention,
    Woodguy,
    Mr DeBakey,

The result was … OK. I peppered / himalayan salt / steak spice before putting in the bag, let it do its medium rare thing (while I was pulling facts about wingers!) for an hour or so, then I slammed it onto a ripping hot pan with oil to get the nice char on the outside.

By “OK”, I mean it was not bad for steak, which is of course better than most foods.

“OK” is actually pretty good because I am not a good cook, and my success comes only from my ability to effectively follow a recipe.

“OK” because I deliberately bought a cheap cut to see if sous vide could make a purse out of a pigs ear* – it couldn’t, but it was still good.

Nothing to rave about, but the cooker won’t be packed in the back of the cabinet either!

*I contrast this with the Aeropress for coffee, which can make cheap coffee surprisingly tasty.

55. Centre of attention says:

G Money,

Enough about your side job as an aeroplane reporter, or what ever Aeropress is!

Tell me facts about wingers, damnit! I’m intrigued about this Yak on LW business.

56. G Money says:

Gordies Elbow: Need’s more info.

Ribeye? Weight? Time?

It is an ANOVA, I set it for 135deg and let it run for the app-recommended time (around an hour I think).

You run for 3:30? I know the method is relatively time insensitive to extra time, does running it 3+ help, or is that because of the thickness of the cut you use?

Is tenderloin your primary recommendation?

And what is BGE / mesquite / 600 in reference to?

I have some incredibly delicious sounding marinades that Stephen Sheps sent me (he was a chef in a previous life), but I’m starting unambitiously small before I try for something more elaborate.

57. G Money says:

Centre of attention,

Heh heh … dammit, you already solicited my opinion!

I’m still unsure about the Yak at LW option, but those results are pretty spectacular.

That’s from about 45 mins of EV time as I recall, but that’s actually quite a bit for a line (when you look at line TOI, it gets sliced down quite a bit because of player flux). That 45 mins is probably four games.

Woodguy: I’ve never had it, but fixable mistake is on the raw side and salt is always good on raw-ish beef.

Absolutely golden point. Undercooked you can recover from.

59. Centre of attention says:

G Money:
    Centre of attention,

Heh heh … dammit, you already solicited my opinion!

But I was mostly just hassling you for the sake of hassling you. (-;

Our RW depth could use Yak more than the LW depth IMO, but if Yak at LW means a better Yak I’m willing to try to make things work.

60. G Money says:

One of the appeals (for me) of sous vide is that in theory it is almost impossible to overcook things.

I did make a pork tenderloin before the steak, and it was genuinely good.

Usually for safety reasons I turn those things uncomfortably close to shoe leather.

61. Gordies Elbow says:

G Money: It was an inside round I believe (deliberately cheap cut) and probably about 1″.

You run for 3:30?I know the method is relatively time insensitive to extra time, does running it 3+ help, or is that because of the thickness of the cut you use?

Is tenderloin your primary recommendation?

And what is BGE / mesquite / 600 in reference to?

The thicknesss drives out the cooking time – I tend to go with Anova’s recommendations, which are really good. Low and slow is better, from my experience.

I tend to get a thicker cut from my butcher (Tofield packers, great guys.) It’s like cooking a roast., though, so you have to manage the time cooking.

BGE is Big Green Egg to add flavor and char to the meat. A “Big Green Egg” is a ceramic Kamado grill. IMO, it’s better than running a torch, which I have done in the past (That said, computer geek, not a chef.) I tend to run a combo of mesquite and lump charcoal, which gives the mesquite flavor.

I’d follow Stephen Sheps, though. I’m just a Franklin BBQ groupie (best youtube videos.)

PS: Like the new system that McLellan’s bringing in, but it will stymie offense both ways. Thoughts? 🙂

62. SwedishPoster says:

Centre of attention: I was wondering what else you had been digging up over the last hour, you mentioned you were digging that’s why I was hassling you.

But I was mostly just hassling you for the sake of hassling you. (-;

63. Centre of attention says:

SwedishPoster: A few years back, Eakin days, I looked at Yak RW vs LW and his scoring was much higher from his RW. I had a short discussion with Woodguy about, he might remember. I never looked at corsi or dff though as the question for me was purely about efficiency and production. I had this hunch from the games that Yak scored more from his off wing. This was during Eakins and his and he didn’t like players on their off wing so it was a pretty big sample. I think Yak played more LW than RW.

Thanks for the input! ,It was only a 4 game sample anyways, hard to read into. But those kind of numbers definitely pop.

Connor McDavid seems to make any line combination hum, haha,

G Money:

I did make a pork tenderloin before the steak, and it was genuinely good.

Yeah, there is always a concern depending on what is being cooked. Pork done well is a real treat, but I normally avoid it for those reasons (cooking for my kids turned me into a safety nut).

65. G Money says:

Centre of attention,

McD’s lines > 40 mins:

McD-Ebs-Poo 147 mins, 56% CF, 59% xGF

McD-Yak-Poo 127 mins, 52% CF, 52% xGF

McD-Ebs-Maroon 120 mins, 47% CF, 53% xGF

McD-Ebs-Yak 42 mins, 51% CF, 66% xGF

I should add just for fun that Hall-McD-Ebs only had 13 mins together, but ran a supernova 65% CF and 78% xGF (I’m sure there’s some healthy score effects there, though xGF is score adjusted).

66. frjohnk says:

Didn’t somebody have stats on Yaks zone exits as well as corsi LW vs RW around the time Eakins switched him over”. One of the reasons Eakins switched him over was because Yak was having trouble exiting the Dzone with the puck on RW.

pretty sure it was on twitter on a chart or something.

Its been so long I forget the results

or the pain from the Dementiater has made me forget.

67. OilClog says:

Benning would be an upgrade on Fayne 😁

68. LadiesloveSmid says:

G Money,

Do you know what goes in to measuring xGF? shot distance/danger?

with war on ice down, instead of looking at HDSCA numbers I’ve been looking at xGF at corsica.

69. Klima's_Bucket says:

Lowetide: Undercooked you can recover from.

Ha, tell that to all the prospects the Oilers have rushed.

70. G Money says:

LadiesloveSmid,

xGF is a regression based danger metric. This is what I know went into the regression:
    – Fenwick based (so unblocked shots only)
    – shot location
    – shot type
    – game state (i.e. it separates EV from PP from PK)

So other than using location rather than just distance, it is basically a slightly upgraded version of Dangerous Fenwick (they have about a 90%+ correlation).

71. VincenzosOil says:

Woodguy: NO!!

BECAUSE BENNING IS RELATED TO BENNING AND CHIA DRAFTED HIM THAT MEANS HE’S GARBAGE AND I CAN’T BELIEVE THE OILERS WOULD WANT HIM ACTUALLY I BELIEVE THEY WOULD BECAUSE THEY’RE AWFUL I HAVE NO IDEA HOW SHALLOW THE OILER POOL OFRHD PROSPECTS ARE ACTUALLY I DO BUT I DON’T CARE BECAUSE BENNING IS BENNING AND IF CHAI DRAFTED HIM HE’S SHITE AND OMG THEYRE GONNA MISS THE PLAYOFFS AGAIN AND FUCK THEM FOR TRADING HALL EVERYTHING BENNING I MEAN CHIARELLI DOES IS SHIT THIS IS SHIT THE PLAYER IS SHIT WHY DON’T THEY SIGN SOME NON-NHLER WHO HAS GOOD CORSI IN 8 FUCKING GAME IN THE MOST PROTECTED MINUTES CREATED BY MAN OR MACHINE LIKERUNBLAD WHO NEVER DID ANYTHING BUT IS A REAL ANOMALY IN HIS SMALL SAMPLE THAT IS MORE PROTECTED THAN PANDA BEARS WHY DOES CHIARELLI HAVE TO SUCK AND LIKE GRITENSITY PLAYERS LIKE BENNING EVEN THOUGH BENNING HAS NICE OFFENCE BUT FUCKIT I’M NOT MENTIONING IT BECAUSE IT HARSHES MY NARRATIVE BENNING SUCKS CHIARELLI SUCK THIS SUCKS YOU SUCK FUCK THE OILERS THEY HAVE SHITE MANAGEMENT.

Had to remark on this deliciously sarcastic post. Captures the brain-dead, somewhat justified responses after 10 years of Oiler suck.

72. Bruce McCurdy says:

G Money: ALSO! I believe Manny (creator of corsica) is adding high/medium/low danger shots as well, so he’ll have a direct analogue to the WOI data. Though in general I prefer the weighted xGF/DFF to the H/M/L approach, but being able to look just at high danger shots does have some value for sure.

The scary thing is I can follow all those abbreviations and acronyms except the puzzling ALSO at the beginning. Another Losing Season for Oilers, maybe? I know these stats have predictive powers but that’s taking it to the next level. 😐

73. Yeti says:

G Money:

The result was … OK.I peppered / himalayan salt / steak spice before putting in the bag, let it do its medium rare thing (while I was pulling facts about wingers!) for an hour or so, then I slammed it onto a ripping hot pan with oil to get the nice char on the outside.

Typical, gut-reaction, ‘saw it bad’ type analysis that belongs on HF, not on blog like this. Have you even heard of advanced stats?

74. Pouzar says:

Wow!

“Florida and Arizona are working on a deal that would send Dave Bolland to the Coyotes.

The report comes from Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman. Trading Bolland won’t be easy because of his expensive contract and limited contributions over the last few seasons. To shed Bolland’s contract, the Panthers are apparently going to include top prospect Lawson Crouse, who was the 11th overall pick in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft. Bolland has three years remaining on his contract at an AAV of $5.5 million. A lower-body injury limited him to 25 games last season.”

75. JDï™ says:

Pouzar,

General Fanager Verified account
    ‏@generalfanager

Per @reporterchris

To FLA:
    2018 ARI 2
    Better of 2017 ARI 3/DET 3

To ARI:
    David Bolland (3 yrs @ $5.5M)
    Lawson Crouse (3 yrs @ $894,166)

76. russ99 says:

I’d feel a lot better about Chiarelli’s moves if I didn’t know that MacTavish is whispering into his ear.

Like right now, he’s probably whispering “Horcoff” and “Gryba”,

77. G Money says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Heh heh … I typed it because it was important and I added it post facto, but your version is much better!

I hope we don’t need it, but if we do, it’s going to save us Oiler fans a lot of typing in case of … well … ALSO.

Yeti,

Hey man, I bought the machine because it was called an ANOVA. Imagine my disappointment when I found out it wasn’t for analysis of variance, but merely for cooking!