THE CARPENTER ABOUT TO FINISH THE JOB

The Oilers rarely have pto’s who have had significant NHL experience. A year ago, invites included players like Braden Christoffer—who won a contract—but no one we would associate with the classic NHL PTO. This year, because of the World Cup of Hockey, Edmonton is going to be down three C’s (McDavid, Nuge, Leon) and that is going to create some issues for the first two legs of training camp. Let’s have a look at some possible invites to help out Mark Letestu, Anton Lander, Jujhar Khaira and others.

POTENTIAL PTO CENTERS

• C Paul Gaustad, 34. Giant center with no offense left but he can PK and win faceoffs.
  • C Jarrett Stoll, 34. RHC and he can do PK and win FOs, and has more offense left than Gaustad.
  • C Dominic Moore, 36. Still a good skater, brings some offense.
  • C Mike Richards, 31. Still can’t believe he faded so quickly. Reasonable in the dot, some offense.
  • C Cody Hodgson, 26. Not really a center last year, he has had two tough years in a row.
  • C Corban Knight, 25. Good size, some skill and young enough to be interesting.
  • C James Wright, 26. A big center with good speed, but very little offense.
  • C Bill Arnold, 24. Two-way center, intriguing resume.
  • C Travis Ewanyk, 23. He is known  to the organization.

Shawn Horcoff is on record as not being interested in a PTO at this stage of his career, so this is the PTO list (unless someone retires).  If I had to choose a No. 1 option? Probably Cody Hodgson, who has actual talent but is badly inconsistent. He didn’t play center a year ago, but I like him as a short-term fix and then possibly (if he performs well) as an option on RW if Jesse Puljujarvi needs some AHL time.

DEFENSE OPTIONS (that remain)

1. Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg Jets. Expensive and compelling option.
  2. Cody Franson, Buffalo Sabres. He is an excellent fit for Oilers needs.
  3. Eric Gryba, Edmonton Oilers. I think management likes him.
  4. Dennis Wideman, Calgary Flames. A year removed from a fantastic offensive season.
  5. Dan Boyle, New York Rangers. Retiring, but if he has anything left I think he could help based on last year’s numbers. Wrote about him here.
  6. David Rundblad, free agent. His offensive ability is clear but the young man has had a difficult time keeping NHL employment. Wrote about him here.
  7. Jakub Nakladal, free agent. Unusual set of skills (defensive player, big shot, not much of a puck mover) but has size and the booming point shot.

There are a few players of interest on this list, Trouba is a distant bell because the Jets will figure out a way to get him signed. Cody Franson is an overlooked option, I view Wideman as the last chance Texaco trade option and remain convinced that one of Boyle or Rundblad is a no-brainer for invite. I suspect we will in fact see an addition on defense before training camp is done.

CHIARELLI’S SUMMER

Yesterday on the Round Table with Dusty and Wil (and Marc Majeau) I was asked to give a grade on PC’s summer. My answer: Incomplete. That answer received a lot of play on the Dave Jamieson show (I also stated if I had to give a grade today it would be an F), so wanted to revisit it this morning and state my opinion here. I view things as incomplete based on the list we agreed upon at the beginning of summer:

CHIARELLI’S MAIN LIST

1. Top-pairing RHD (Two-way skills—Adam Larsson)
  2. Find a replacement for Taylor Hall once they traded him (Milan Lucic)
  3. Backup goalie (Jonas Gustavsson)
  4. Second-pairing RHD (Offensive defenseman)
  5. Acquire RHC with some skill
  • Peter Chiarelli: “We have to improve our defence, which we did. And we have to get bigger and heavier, with skill, which we did. I felt we’ve improved the team significantly. The proof will be in the pudding.” Source

I agree the team is improved (the RE suggests Edmonton could close the goal differential gap completely this season) and better scheduling and injury luck should be a part of that surge. Adam Larsson improved the defense and adds to better balance overall. Milan Lucic is a substantial addition and I believe many Oilers fans will be surprised at how well he performs as a player—outside of the rugged physical style.

The job is incomplete. I don’t think Peter Chiarelli would disagree, and the list above (same one I posted 100 times through spring and summer, it is above) tells us there are still two areas unaddressed—and I would dispute Jonas Gustavsson as being a clearly better bet than Laurent Brossoit.

For me, it comes down to this: I applaud Peter Chiarelli for having the gumption to change the roster in an attempt to achieve balance. I applaud him for increasing depth on defense and at forward, and for the four substantial college signings. I would argue however that the summer you trade Taylor Hall is the same summer you must achieve something resembling a full and complete roster, with a man at every position and a solution for every problem.

Edmonton still needs a righthanded defender who can help on the power play and survive in the top 6D. Cody Franson covers that issue. They may also need a better backup than Jonas Gustavsson or Laurent Brossoit, but in truth that is a scratch that can be itched in-season (you can always trade for a goalie or sign one).

I am pleased about the news on a center possibly coming in, that tells me that Chiarelli knows he isn’t finished and there is work to be done on this roster. Hopefully he adds a center too. I remain convinced the grade for his summer—despite adding a terrific winger in Lucic and a strong defender in Larsson—is incomplete.

I think we can all agree that the trading of Taylor Hall represents a change in course. It is vital that course correction involves more wins and a jump up the standings. Peter Chiarelli knows that better than you and I do—his Bruins team spiked in year two. For me, the lack of a RHD addition and some uneasiness up front tell me he isn’t finished. The PTO rumors and what I believe will be a significant defensive addition before opening night tell me that the Oilers agree with my assessment: Incomplete.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Jonathan Willis, Cult of Hockey. In pursuit of true balance: How far away is Edmonton?
  • Rob Soria, The Hockey Writers. Rob will discuss the US Open, MLB and Oil.
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. CFL, NFL, World Cup of Hockey, more.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter.

102 Responses to "THE CARPENTER ABOUT TO FINISH THE JOB"

1. peebos says:

Nice summary LT 🙂

I like the Trouba option – but I’m scared of what the cost would be. Any thoughts on what it would actually take ?

2. Pouzar says:

Franson is my guess as to what Stauffer was hinting at.

3. frjohnk says:

Pouzar:
    Franson is my guess as to what Stauffer was hinting at.

If we get Franson, Godot will be doing cartwheels…….on the freeway

4. JJS says:

It certainly remains ‘incomplete’ but an F seems a bit harsh. He succeeded in acquiring the biggest UFA (not named Stamkos) on the market without a huge overpay (slight overpay to be sure). This by itself suggests the McDavid Oilers are viewed differently around the league and are inching closer to a balanced roster. He missed out on a few coveted signings but we have no idea what the asks were. Regarding the return on Hall – there are many examples of poor returns for Oiler stars. DeBrusk, Nicholls and Rice for Messier!! Would you take those over Larsson? I don’t think I would.

5. Dee Dee says:

Top 3 items off your list accomplished with a month and a half until the season starts, you’re a tough Grader Lowetide.

I’d suggest items 4 and 5 are much easier to accomplish than item 1 and that a trade will arrive before the season starts.

So I agree that while he hasn’t finished yet the team has a remarkably different look than previous years.

A little credit for all of the college signings too, PC restocked the cupboards with all of his activity in that area this summer too.

So I’d give a C*, with the possibility of increasing it or decreasing it before the season starts.

Pouzar:
    Franson is my guess as to what Stauffer was hinting at.

Agreed.

I posted this in the morning thread yesterday:

Casey Nelson (RHD) came out of college last year and scored 4pts in 7 games.

They might move Franson out to make room.

Risto 1RD, Bogo 2RD

7. speeds says:

LT, from the article: For me, the lack of a RHD addition and some uneasiness up front tell me he isn’t finished. The PTO rumors and what I believe will be a significant defensive addition before opening night tell me that the Oilers agree with my assessment: Incomplete.

Interesting to see though if your answer to the perceived “incompleteness” might be quite different from that of the Oilers. Signing Boyes to a 1 year deal and Trouba to an OS would be pretty different than inviting Stoll and Gryba on PTO’s.

8. Diesel says:

Bill Arnold has the type of name that I would expect to hear while LT reminisces about the Expos or WW1.

frjohnk: If we get Franson, Godot will be doing cartwheels…….on the freeway

I think that besides a RHS from the point on the PP, the main value of bringing in Franson would be moving Davidson to the left side.

His cap hit is $3.3 so something has to go the other way given how much room EDM needs for bonus overage.

He’s better than Nurse and Reinhart today and would move Davidson to 3LD instead of 3RD or even 2RD.

Injuries will happen and Nurse/Reinhart will play lots this year regardless.

I don’t think Reinhart makes the team out of camp due to his bonuses anyhow.

Nurse starting in the AHL wouldn’t hurt anyone.

Oesterle would be the 7D to start.

10. dustrock says:

an F sure does seem harsh.

It might be an F next summer/halfway through the season when it’s clear the Hall for Larsson deal didn’t help (please God/Superman/Magic 8-Ball, let this not be the case).

But for now I think incomplete but provisional C.

It’s really the 2nd RHD that makes it incomplete for me. I’m not liking the Monster bet either for backup, but that is a more easily solved problem if it doesn’t work out with LB.

11. frjohnk says:

dustrock:
    an F sure does seem harsh.

But for now I think incomplete but provisional C.

It’s really the 2nd RHD that makes it incomplete for me.I’m not liking the Monster bet either for backup, but that is a more easily solved problem if it doesn’t work out with LB.

If the Larsson for Hall bet becomes a bad bet, then its not 2RD that has a hole.

Its 1RD.

12. Ducey says:

Woodguy: Agreed.

I posted this in the morning thread yesterday:

Casey Nelson (RHD) came out of college last year and scored 4pts in 7 games.

They might move Franson out to make room.

Risto 1RD, Bogo 2RD

Based on the stats it would be a little like the Oilers trading away Fayne to make room for Benning to start the season.

If BUF moves Franson its likely they keep Nelson on the farm and go big game hunting (maybe Shattenkirk). That seems to be their MO (Kane, OReilly, Okposo)

13. Durag says:

LT – sorry to ask you to read minds, but do you think that Chiarelli is aware of the same holes in the roster that you are, is bound and determined to fill them, but is prepared to wait until say end of November for the price to drop on the pieces he needs?

14. jonrmcleod says:

SPAM ALERT

I did a brief profile on the Oilers’ 153rd pick Aepeli Rasanen. In my opinion, a great value pick.

15. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: Agreed.

I posted this in the morning thread yesterday:

Casey Nelson (RHD) came out of college last year and scored 4pts in 7 games.

They might move Franson out to make room.

Risto 1RD, Bogo 2RD

Any guess as what the deal would include?

16. Oilspill says:

PTO is a desparation move for players. Great for buyout guys who have millions coming in. Usually the PTO is for a specific period so it’s not a one year guarantee. Offers teams shorter terms but fks the players.

17. OilClog says:

Nurse was 2nd in blocked shots only behind Sekera by a whisper.

Nurse was 2nd in hits only trialling Hendricks.. Who was far and away the leader of the pack.

Those are the stats that the coaches and management love about him, he’s a year older, regardless of any additional players coming in, Nurse is going to need to literally shit himself to not be on the squad.

Mark Fayne what will you do?

18. Ellis says:

You think the Oilers will move out an NHL caliber RD for someone who could still develop in the minors?

19. --hudson-- says:

Can Stoll still shoot on the power play?

20. skinny65 says:

The roster looks good to me on paper but I’m just baffled that they aren’t planning any depth. Its as though they looked at the white board and liked the top 4 lines and the top 6 d and said, DONE.
    They aren’t planning for any injuries and it’s malpractice.
    They could have signed Wizniewski, they could have singed Pirri. And they will need cover, actual NHL players for cover and for some reason they just put their heads in the sand.
    And when injuries come…and they will.
    Man this team. I want to love them, but management just blows everything.

21. Pouzar says:

Why does the NHL hate Brad Boyes? I know the Oilers will never sign the guy.

22. highgloveside says:

I beleive PC is very hesitant to add another dean based on the expansion draft and giving up a decent assist for a 1 year RHD. Also I would expect prices to drop significantly just prior to expansion draft for players other teams are not able to protect.

23. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Woodguy: Agreed.

I posted this in the morning thread yesterday:

Casey Nelson (RHD) came out of college last year and scored 4pts in 7 games.

They might move Franson out to make room.

Risto 1RD, Bogo 2RD

I don’t agree. I mean h scored a hat trick as a young Dman who wasn’t drafted as a pure offence guy, so to me regardless of his analytics I’m going to see his potential.

That said calling him 1RD is certainly in dispute.

Of course i don’t think Sabres management sees things that way so the point is moot.

24. Ducey says:

skinny65:
    The roster looks good to me on paper but I’m just baffled that they aren’t planning any depth.Its as though they looked at the white board and liked the top 4 lines and the top 6 d and said, DONE.
    They aren’t planning for any injuries and it’s malpractice.
    They could have signed Wizniewski, they could have singed Pirri.And they will need cover, actual NHL players for cover and for some reason they just put their heads in the sand.
    And when injuries come…and they will.
    Man this team.I want to love them, but management just blows everything.

I can’t agree.

They have depth at all positions in the minors. They added 4 college prospects (2 F, 1D, 1G), Beck and Sallinen.

They have Reinhart, Musil, Oesterle, Homer, Benning, Leggs, etc on D.

They have 3 goalies in Etu, Ellis, and Brossoit,

On W they have Sallinen, Beck and Pitlick to Khaira and Sleppy and JP as a tweener.

They have 5 (6 if you include Hendricks) C’s on the major league roster and Caggiula in the minors.

That’s the best group of prospects we have seen in some time. If a few take a step forward this year, they will have one of the deeper teams in the league.

25. skinny65 says:

Ducey,

Not a single one of those players has shown he is an NHL player yet. If they prove to be NHL players great, but counting on them to play above their established value is asinine. And that’s the bet management is making. It’s a bet that losing teams make.
    Get depth and if those players you mentioned kick ass, then it’s found money.
    But betting on these players to come through when not a single one has ever done it before is just so short sighted. Drives me nuts.

26. Tire Fire says:

skinny65: They could have signed Wizniewski, they could have singed Pirri.

And they should have. Everyone knows Piri Piri is best when it’s singed.

27. DRFNsuperstar says:

Ducey: I can’t agree.

They have Reinhart, Musil, Oesterle, Homer, Benning, Leggs, etc on D.

They have 3 goalies in Etu, Ellis, and Brossoit,

There is a difference between prospect depth and NHL depth. San Jose=NHL depth Arizona/Winnipeg=prospect depth Edmonton= a couple of long shot prospects who might be third liners at NHL level and shallow NHL depth everywhere other than Left D.

28. jimmers2 says:

Tire Fire,

wow, perfectly played!

Singed piri piri is to die for as well, had some on chicken on the bbq this weekend! Yum.

//Mike Richards, 31. Still can’t believe he faded so quickly. Reasonable in the dot, some offense.//

Anyone familiar with opioid (ab)use isn’t.

30. skinny65 says:

godot10,

Got any proof of abuse? He says he was prescribed the pills from the team? You know differently?

Ducey: Anything is possible, but that would be very Oilerish for BUF to give up an NHL defenseman to give time to an undrafted college free agent with 7 NHL games.

BUF are Oilers East.

Poor Ristolainen forced into 1st pair for the last two years with dross like Gorges for help.

Oilers East is their MO.

//Edmonton still needs a righthanded defender who can help on the power play and survive in the top 6D. Cody Franson covers that issue.//

Cody Franson is another 3rd pairing D, like Fayne who relies on a veteran partner to survive. The Oilers only have one veteran (Sekera) for this player type to play with. So Cody Franson is the solution to nothing, IMHO.

When your 3rd pairing left D are all young less experienced guys….Davidson, Nurse, and Reinhart…Franson doens’t help them develop either.

That said, Franson would only be a one year mistake this year, vs. what would have been a five year mistake (and much more money) last year (and I was right about that last year).

Pouzar: Any guess as what the deal would include?

A pick and Ference?

A pick and Hendricks?

Ellis:

Let me count the ways……..

–hudson–:
    Can Stoll still shoot on the power play?

as well as he shoots stuff up his nose?

36. admiralmark says:

godot10:

Cody Franson is another 3rd pairing D, like Fayne who relies on a veteran partner to survive.The Oilers only have one veteran (Sekera) for this player type to play with.So Cody Franson is the solution to nothing, IMHO.

I believe Franson is better suited for the 2RHD spot then Fayne as he brings some offence. So a D like Klefbom/Larsson, Sekera/Franson, Davidson/Fayne Seems like a good deal as it allows Davidson to stay on his natural Left Side and moves Fayne into a 3rd pairing role he is perfectly qualified for(albeit expensively).

37. OF17 says:

LT, I respectfully don’t know how you could give Chiarelli an F. After the biggest trade in favor of balance the Oilers have made in 10 years, signing the best UFA on the market, and acquiring a boatload of prospects, he gets the lowest possible grade?

I also don’t see the connection between the Larsson trade and an increased need to achieve something resembling a full and complete roster. The trade and subsequent Lucic signing were big steps in that direction, and yet partially addressing the problem made fixing it more urgent? I don’t see the logic there.

38. JDï™ says:

skinny65: Got any proof of abuse?

I think the rapid decline in play, coupled with the arrest, is a strong indicator but well short of proof.

Pretty much exactly like the proof we have that the Oilers didn’t talk to the Wiz and Piri camps.

39. Caramel Batman says:

Chiarelli gets and F because you only get to trade Taylor Hall once.

Since the return wasn’t enough, he’s going to have to trade someone else to get what he needs.

When the Eberle trade comes down, the initial reaction will be horror.

And then the Chiarelli teflon will kick in and the rationalizations will begin. “Eberle isn’t worth what we thought he was.” “We needed another D,” etc. etc.

And then when the Oilers make the playoffs in spite of these trades, he’ll be hailed as a genius.

When the Oilers don’t make the finals, MacTavish will be blamed. “Chiaarelli never had a chance.”

But we know better.

Larsson needs to be a true #1, better than Hamonic, for it to break even. Does anybody believe this to be the case?

Nurse needs to turn into a star for the trade to make sense. I know people think this will happen but they are wrong.

Draisatl needs to score 70 points as the best player on his line for the trade to make sense.

These are things that aren’t going to happen.

Ca$h-McMoney!: There are people in the stats community that think Risto is an absolute train wreck at the level of Nurse. The guy from Hockey Graphs absolutely rips him.

That said calling him 1RD is certainly in dispute.

There are a lot of people doing analysis who don’t consider line mates, comp, coaching systems enough when evaluating players.

Gorges was a drag on Subban when Gorges was 29, putting him with a very young Dman in top pairing at 31-32 etc is very questionable.

I expect BUF acquired Kulikov to replace Gorges there.

Not the biggest Kulikov fan, but he’s heads and tails better than Gorges.

I expect Risto to have better results this year.

41. Caramel Batman says:

OF17:

If the Oilers don’t win a playoff series this year, what does he do next?

He can’t trade Taylor Hall. He already did that .

He can’t sign someone to a massive contract. He already did that.

He is out of cards. This is the team for the next two years.* Is it good enough?

* He can of course trade RNH and Eberle, but that’s only going to make things worse.

This team is going to win or lose on the back of Nurse, Draisatl, Puljarvi, and Yakupov. We know the current team isn’t good enough, so they need to get unexpected contributions from in house options. That is the bet Chiarelli made and he should be judged on it accordingly.

42. Drew says:

jimmers2:
    Tire Fire,

wow, perfectly played!

43. Bruce McCurdy says:

Drew: i agree, having some right now left from the weekend. great stuff! Is this a hockey blog today i can go on a cooking run?

44. OF17 says:

Caramel Batman: If the Oilers don’t win a playoff series this year, what does he do next?

He can’t trade Taylor Hall.He already did that .

He can’t sign someone to a massive contract.He already did that.

He is out of cards.This isthe team for the next two years.* Is it good enough?

This team is going to win or lose on the back of Nurse, Draisatl, Puljarvi, and Yakupov.We know the current team isn’t good enough, so they need to get unexpected contributions from in house options.That is the bet Chiarelli made and he should be judged on it accordingly.

If the Oilers make the playoffs, even for a 1st round bounce, I don’t think big changes will be necessary because that will represent fantastic progress. But playing along, what holes do we have left to fill? An upgrade on Fayne, a RHS to play in the top 9, and a better backup goalie. You don’t need a mountain of assets to make that happen. Say, Darnell Nurse and the 1st for the Fayne upgrade, a pick and/or cap space for the RHS, and either Brossoit or a better signing next summer for the G.

Trading Hall doesn’t prevent any of those sorts of moves from happening. I don’t agree that Chiarelli is handcuffed into this roster for the next 2 years.

45. dustrock says:

Bruce McCurdy: I’m no gourmand like some of the commenters here, but I found this (long) read to be worth my time:

Yeah, this was fascinating even if I couldn’t understand half the terminology.

46. Caramel Batman says:

OF17,

It isn’t good enough because the most complete team, the one with the fewest holes, isn’t necessarily the best team.

What do you do to improve if you are a wildcard team that has no holes? You already have no holes, and that wasn’t good enough.

Building a roster by filling holes is a terrible way to build a roster when you don’t have enough talent in the first place.

The most well balanced team doesn’t win. It is the team with the best players.

How are the Oilers going to get better players? Where are they going to come from?

Unless you can trade Nurse for Taylor Hall I don’t see how this is going to help. This was the year to trade Nurse.

47. Acumen says:

I would have a lot of time for Richards on a PTO. Veteran, well respected, experiences C who’s played in some great systems. At the very least, he’s a damn good stand in candidate for our missing Centres during Camp. At best, he’s a valuable veteran who can slide into that 3RW role and maybe do some pinch hitting at C, and win a few face offs for us. Right hand shot too. Some thing tells me he would be a great mentor for Yakupov. Potential Pisani!

Ditto all that for Stoll, and he’s a proven commodity on a PP point.

I keep banging on the Rundblad drum too. I think he would be a great bet, though landing Trouba would be just fine as well 🙂

One things for certain; if we could run Lucic, Richards, Kassian, Maroon, Hendricks, Nurse and potentially Gryba, our bad ass contingent would be higher this year than the last 6 combined.

48. Water Fire says:

Woodguy: Stau

What does TaylorHaul say about comp for Franson? Is he a turn stile actually?

I don’t think defensively suspect players can help the Oilers at all, given GA is there biggest issue. Someone getting 10 pts on the PP and getting hammered at evens isn’t the right solution.

EDIT: That was directed at Woodguy or GMoney

49. OF17 says:

Caramel Batman,

Good teams make improvements to their rosters all the time. Look what Nashville did in acquiring Johansen and Subban, or what Dallas did in acquiring Seguin and Spezza. Just because we traded Hall doesn’t mean those moves are no longer options. The Blackhawks of the world will still need to shed Sharps, Shaws, and Saads (Tampa is getting to that stage pretty quickly). Our appeal to UFAs will only improve in the coming years. The sky is not falling.

In the meantime, we’re a better and more competitive team, and the guy we traded for is young enough to be a big contributor for the next 5-10 years at our biggest point of need. I don’t see how any of this has doomed us to mediocrity.

50. OF17 says:

Acumen,

Richards is a left hand shot. I’d still bring him in though.

51. Donye West says:

Diesel:

52. Caramel Batman says:

OF17,

So your hope rests on the Oilers swindling (Seguin, Subban) another team?

The Nashville example is indicative. In order to trade for Johansen and Subban they had to have Jones and Weber. The Oilers don’t have those guys, and if they did his name was Taylor Hall, who they just traded for far less than Subban.

So you’ve proved my point.

53. TO10801 says:

My question in regards to a PTO for a center is what hole they are expected to fill. I’m all for bringing in Richards to battle lander for a job.
    However my concern is that they are considering this due to them planning to use Drai as the 2RW. If this is the case whoever ends up on the 3rd line will not have an offensively competent center. If the 3rd line is Maroon-Letestu-Yakupov is anyone confident they will post any crooked numbers?

54. OF17 says:

Donye West: Admins, can we get a “Thumbs Up” or “Like” button on the forum posts so that I can use it on this one?

I’d personally prefer not. Voting systems are better for statements than discussions, and discussion is what sets this place apart.

55. rickithebear says:

198 OZ starts
    313 NZ starts
    522 DZ starts
    198/1033 19.2% OZ starts
    6.83 PKGA/60

OF17:
    LT, I respectfully don’t know how you could give Chiarelli an F.

57. rickithebear says:

Caramel Batman:
    OF17,

So your hope rests on the Oilers swindling (Seguin, Subban) another team?

The Nashville example is indicative.In order to trade for Johansen and Subban they had to have Jones and Weber.The Oilers don’t have those guys, and if they did his name was Taylor Hall, who they just traded for far less than Subban.

So you’ve proved my point.

I looked at Ofence Subban created at even and PP
    and
    it does not break even with Subbans defence.

I want Playoffs b………s!

Yes I am taking about PLAYOFFS!

58. OF17 says:

Caramel Batman:
    OF17,

So your hope rests on the Oilers swindling (Seguin, Subban) another team?

So you’ve proved my point.

I hope there isn’t any more I have to say on the subject.

59. Pouzar says:

Woodguy: I expect Risto to have better results this year.

Dare I call this a love affair? 😛

60. OF17 says:

Lowetide: I didn’t give him an F. I gave him an incomplete. The summer you trade Hall is the summer you cast aside the shackles of rebuild, slow play and souls not brave enough to dream of climbing Everest. I think Larsson, Lucic, even Gretzky are good signs, now time to hollow out the bad parts of the advice department and address RHD, RHC and backup G.

I know you did, but I’m referencing your “if you had to” point. I agree that the time to move is now, I just don’t agree that the Hall trade somehow increased urgency to needing to compete *now*. Forwards peak earlier than defensemen, and we just traded a forward for a younger defenseman with an extra year on his deal. I’d like to see all of the holes fixed in one summer as much as the next guy, but I’m okay with steady and significant steps rather than one fell swoop, and given how many RFAs remain unsigned, I’m not convinced this summer’s trade opportunities are all used up. Even if they are though, I feel good that the team has finally made significant progress towards a better and more balanced lineup.

61. bendelson says:

Well, the end of your RE series snuck up on me LT.
    If you don’t mind, I’d like to add one more..

RE 16-17 Bendelson: Ill Tide (The Smalls)

Well last season certainly had it challenges. Saying goodbye to Rexall was bittersweet but the overall quality of the home team spoke the truth loud and clear – there is still a long way to go. Changes were desperately needed. Changes were desperately made. Were they the right moves? Well, THAT is certainly up for debate. What can we rely on? Injuries, bad officiating, and Connor McDavid. And so, with that, Roger’s Place is readying for opening night, and we wait.

Reasonable Expectations – 16-17: Games watched: 79; Games attended: 15; Posts on Lowetide: 217; Responses from Lowetide: 7.

1. Only 7 responses from Lowetide all year? What an ass! He’s clearly a busy man and these expectations are meant to be reasonable.

2. That’s barely a 3% response rate from LT! Actually, it represents a full percentage point improvement from this past season, so there’s that.

3. Why do you bother? Good question. In truth, most of my posts don’t warrant a response.

4. Do you have a favourite post? Yes. I attempted a somewhat involved and likely inappropriate fecal ‘Art’ joke some years ago after a disagreement with Mr. Vandalay. I didn’t get a single response (which was likely a good thing) but also didn’t get timed-out, placed in moderation or banned outright… which was nice. I don’t know that it completely delivered, but I remain proud of the effort nevertheless.

5. Have you ever been placed under moderation of any kind? No never. I’ve always been treated very well here.

7. Do you have a favourite poster? Without question, Bookjie was my favourite. I do hope he returns… the man changed my perspective on the umlaut forever.

8. I was expecting you to say Stevezie. That’s fair. I do enjoy a good Stevezie post – and his taste in music is exceptional.

9. Your posts often mention your wife. What’s up with that? She’s great! No further explanation required.

10. Is she OK with all the time you spend on this blog? Well, sort of… she has learned to have fun with it. She once accused me of having an affair with this blog. I suggested that she was wrong – it was far more serious than that. Just the other day, I was posting a quick comment and feigning indignation, she exclaimed: “Wow! Now you’re just Lowetiding right in front of me!?!” Hilarious.

11. Does she like hockey? Well, she didn’t before I came along and she knows better than to watch an Oilers game on TV with me. That being said, it turns out, she really enjoys going to the games! I believe she calls them date nights. No complaints here…

12. Any favourite moments from this past season? A couple to share. Firstly, Sather night was great. A big win and a Korpikoski hat-trick (he could have had 5 that night). Fun! Secondly, it was great to finally put the pieces together here on the blog and get re-acquainted with Darcy. Good guy, that McLeod.

13. How did it go when you met with Darcy? Good times, I think. Things got a little dicey when we switched from beer to Irish whiskey. I stumbled home, completely loaded, at about 8:oo PM.

14. Why this song? Several reasons: Firstly, it’s a great song – a classic from my youth. Secondly, it’s Cancon, and Corb certainly deserves the shout out. Thirdly, check out the lyrics! It’s a very appropriate nod to the optimists amongst us.

15. No link? Nope. I’m a luddite.

16. And yet you now have an avatar? It took 10+ years to get it here, and I’m still not exactly sure how I managed it.

17. Care to explain the picture? It’s called “self-portrait #1” if that helps. Keep an eye-out and you may see it in strange locations in and around Edmonton.

18. Any last thoughts? It’s been a tragically hip summer so I’ll end with this prediction: The 16-17 Oilers will be “armed with young skill and it’s frustration, and grit, too”.

62. Bruce McCurdy says:

dustrock: Yeah, this was fascinating even if I couldn’t understand half the terminology.

That was a large part of the fascination.

63. Caramel Batman says:

OF17: You keep moving the goal posts. First you say that a wildcard team with no holes has no way to improve because they don’t have good enough players, then I show you examples of teams doing just that. But those don’t count because they’re “swindles.” I guess LA trading for Carter and Richards were swindles as well and don’t count, San Jose trading for Burns doesn’t count, Chicago signing Campbell doesn’t count, Chicago signing Panarin doesn’t count, the Rangers getting Nash, the Capitals getting Niskanen and Williams, the Penguins getting Kessel, the Penguins getting Neal, the Islanders getting Boychuk and Leddy, the Wild getting Suter and Parise, none of those count, because they’re teams on the playoff bubble or better that improved without trading a Hall. Therefore Chiarelli used his only option and we’re doomed to accomplish nothing of significance.

I hope there isn’t any more I have to say on the subject.

I think you might be dense.

Some of those are free agents. Chiarelli already got his whale. His name is Lucic. There isn’t room for another whale without trading RNH or Eberle. Chiarelli has shot his load here.

As for the trades, Chiarelli just traded his most marketable asset and got a player worse than all of the players you mentioned. Now you expect him to trade a player worse than Hall and get a player better than Larsson. How is he going to manage that?

This team isn’t going to get better through trades or free agents. There isn’t the salary for high priced free agents nor the history of good trades.

The future rests entirely on Nurse, Draisatl, Yakupov, and Puljarvi.

This is the problem. All the cards have been played and Chiarelli is all-in. Unfortunately he may have balls to make the big deal but he doesn’t have the nuts.

64. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

TO10801:

-35 is a pretty crooked number, does that count?

65. Bruce McCurdy says:

bendelson,

I enjoyed this, Bendelson.

66. ~ Hall of Shame ~ says:

bendelson: 6. Umm.. you remember Steve Smith don’t you? Sure. Steve and I are good friends – though he may disagree with that statement with extreme prejudice.

If he were only here to point out that that word friend doesn’t mean what you think it means. 😉

67. frjohnk says:

bendelson:
    Well, the end of your RE series snuck up on me LT.
    If you don’t mind, I’d like to add one more..

RE 16-17 Bendelson: Ill Tide (The Smalls)

Well last season certainly had it challenges.Saying goodbye to Rexall was bittersweet but the overall quality of the home team spoke the truth loud and clear – there is still a long way to go.Changes were desperately needed.Changes were desperately made.Were they the right moves?Well, THAT is certainly up for debate.What can we rely on?Injuries, bad officiating, and Connor McDavid.And so, with that, Roger’s Place is readying for opening night, and we wait.

Reasonable Expectations – 16-17: Games watched:79;Games attended:15;Posts on Lowetide:217;Responses from Lowetide:7.

1.Only 7 responses from Lowetide all year?What an ass!He’s clearly a busy man and these expectations are meant to be reasonable.

2.That’s barely a 3% response rate from LT!Actually, it represents a full percentage point improvement from this past season, so there’s that.

3.Why do you bother?Good question.In truth, most of my posts don’t warrant a response.

4.Do you have a favourite post?Yes.I attempted a somewhat involved and likely inappropriate fecal ‘Art’ joke some years ago after a disagreement with Mr. Vandalay.I didn’t get a single response (which was likely a good thing) but also didn’t get timed-out, placed in moderation or banned outright… which was nice.I don’t know that it completely delivered, but I remain proud of the effort nevertheless.

5.Have you ever been placed under moderation of any kind?No never.I’ve always been treated very well here.

6.Umm.. you remember Steve Smith don’t you?Sure.Steve and I are good friends – though he may disagree with that statement with extreme prejudice.

7.Do you have a favourite poster?Without question, Bookjie was my favourite.I do hope he returns… the man changed my perspective on the umlaut forever.

8.I was expecting you to say Stevezie.That’s fair.I do enjoy a good Stevezie post – and his taste in music is exceptional.

9.Your posts often mention your wife.What’s up with that?She’s great!No further explanation required.

10.Is she OK with all the time you spend on this blog?Well, sort of…she has learned to have fun with it.She once accused me of having an affair with this blog.I suggested that she was wrong – it was far more serious than that.Just the other day, I was posting a quick comment and feigning indignation, she exclaimed:“Wow!Now you’re just Lowetiding right in front of me!?!”Hilarious.

11.Does she like hockey?Well, she didn’t before I came along and she knows better than to watch an Oilers game on TV with me.That being said, it turns out, she really enjoys going to the games!I believe she calls them date nights.No complaints here…

12.Any favourite moments from this past season?A couple to share.Firstly, Sather night was great.A big win and a Korpikoski hat-trick (he could have had 5 that night).Fun!Secondly, it was great to finally put the pieces together here on the blog and get re-acquainted with Darcy.Good guy, that McLeod.

13.How did it go when you met with Darcy?Good times, I think.Things got a little dicey when we switched from beer to Irish whiskey.I stumbled home, completely loaded, at about 8:oo PM.

14.Why this song?Several reasons:Firstly, it’s a great song – a classic from my youth.Secondly, it’s Cancon, and Corb certainly deserves the shout out.Thirdly, check out the lyrics!It’s a very appropriate nod to the optimists amongst us.

15.No link?Nope.I’m a luddite.

16.And yet you now have an avatar?It took 10+ years to get it here, and I’m still not exactly sure how I managed it.

17.Care to explain the picture?It’s called “self-portrait #1” if that helps. Keep an eye-out and you may see it in strange locations in and around Edmonton.

18.Any last thoughts?It’s been a tragically hip summer so I’ll end with this prediction:The 16-17 Oilers will be “armed with young skill and it’s frustration, and grit, too”.

This was fantastic!

Well done.

68. treevojo says:

Caramel Batman,

After just watching Batman vs Superman I am convinced you should change your name to

CARAMEL LEX LUTHOR

Think the title is far more suitable

69. ~ Hall of Shame ~ says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    bendelson,

I enjoyed this, Bendelson.

Bruce,

reformatted the example you tried to show:

<b>text</b> makes:
    text

other tricks:

<i>text</i> makes:
    text

<strike>text</strike> makes:
    text

70. Pouzar says:

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

#CBJ have signed veteran C Jarret Stoll to a training camp tryout

71. kinger_OIL says:

bendelson,

– This is great, thanks for the entertainment: “Lowtiding”: I’m going to start using it…

– And with HoS providing template for test, WATCH OUT

*Holy sh#t! It worked!

72. G Money says:

Water Fire: What does TaylorHaul say about comp for Franson? Is he a turn stile actually?

EDIT: That was directed at Woodguy or GMoney

Taylor Haul 9000 has this to say:

– Franson was heavily sheltered (23, 36, 41 Elite/Middle/Gritensity TOI%)

– His raw shot metrics (CF%) make him look like a good second pair option (45%, 50%, 52% vs the same three tiers), as do his CF%Rel vs comp (+1%, +2%, +2%).

In other words, he seems to do as well or better than the rest of his team vs the same level of competition.

– The DangerFens agree with Godot’s harsh assessment: 41%, 46%, 55% – he makes all his hay vs the bottom tier players but gets killed vs both top and middle competition. His Rels are negative -2%, -3%, +1% vs the top two tiers as well.

In other words, even as a sheltered third pair defensemen, he still spends 60% of his time vs top and middle comp, and the sphincters are going to get a helluva workout whenever that happens.

Which I guess also speaks to Godot’s idea that he needs a vet defenseman to cover for him.

No wonder Godot is a fan of the WoodMoneys!

Interesting aside: contrary to what you’d think, Franson’s defense against the middle tier is not that bad (at 35 DFA/60, he’s actually in solid territory). It’s just his ability to create offense (30 DFF/60) disappears against that tier.

What appears to be happening is that he tries to open up his offense against the top tiers (his DFF/CF rates are actually downsloping i.e. get worse as the competition gets worse, which is *very* unusual), but he gets absolutely smoked by them in terms of what he gives up.

It’s not until he’s facing the Gazdic’s of the world that he’s able to suppress more chances than he is creating.

Caveat 1: Have not looked at WOWYs and the effect of his partners, that can make a huge difference

Caveat 2: He might still be worth it as a sheltered third pairing guy partnered with the highly capable Davidson (*crosses fingers for avoidance of regression*) if he helps create a more dangerous powerplay

73. Bruce McCurdy says:

text test

By golly…

74. Bruce McCurdy says:

Pouzar:
    Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

#CBJ have signed veteran C Jarret Stoll to a training camp tryout

There goes today’s post. Fuck!

75. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Caramel Batman,

But why can’t you trade those players if you see significant strides from any one of Yak, Drai, Pulu, Nurse, Reinhart? Moreover why can’t you trade any one of those players that makes strides to fill a need next year? We haven’t even touched on what happens if other teams go all stir crazy if things fall off the rails early into the season (I’ve got my eye on the Sharks, Ducks and Rangers). Who says someone doesn’t shake loose?

All hypotheticals yes, but so very much can happen during a season that I don’t know if I’d be writing the eulogy for the 2016/2017 offseason quite yet. Seems a tad early for that one.

76. Tire Fire says:

Absolutely beautiful. Thanks Bruce.

77. bendelson says:

Thank you!

78. theres oil in virginia says:

bendelson,

No response from LT yet. Tough start to the season. May want to revise those stats down a bit.

79. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

G Money,

Good analysis.

On the “he might still be good if he’s 3rd pairing with Davidson” comment, my responce to that would be “if that’s the case, then that’s probably true for everybody”. So there is still no evidence that Franson, if he’s really that bad, is a better 3rd pair option than off-handed Reinhart/Oesterle/etc.

But then of course there is the whole depth & powerplay thing to consider…

80. season not played says:

Caramel Batman: I think you might be dense.

You are the guy that said last week Lucic isn’t worth a seventh round pick are you not?

81. Drew says:

a very good and long read. thanks!

82. kinger_OIL says:

Bruce McCurdy,

– Bruce – The New Yorker was for many years my “heroin”. I would literally spend hours reading it cover to cover, oblivious of anything around me.

– And its articles like this, about subjects that I knew nothing about but the writers get you so engrossed into.

– One day, when family grows up, I will renew my addiction to the New Yorker!

Thanks for this.

83. Pouzar says:

Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris

Dominic Moore signs a $900,000, one-year deal with #bruins.

84. Pouzar says:

Scratch 2 off yer list LT, the big wigs are lurking here.

85. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Pouzar,

Chris Higgins has a PTO with the Flames as well.

86. Free Flyer says:

All the other teams are taking the talent

87. ~ Hall of Shame ~ says:

Bruce McCurdy: I gave up trying to show that when the symbols kept trying to format my own comment. (I’m a Luddite too, deep down.) Is “text” a magic word that allows you to “show your work”?

text test

By golly…

the magic word for the code line was typing &lt; everywhere you would type <

Bendelson. Wow. THAT was awesome.

89. fifthcartel says:

Corey Pronman released his Top 120 NHL prospect list and its super interesting, his articles alone makes ESPN insider worth it, and I won’t post the rankings or where they are but there are 3 Oilers on the list (Puljujarvi, Benson, Paigin) and the last one was an interesting read.

I hope its ok to post that, I wouldn’t want to post anyone’s work that’s under a paywall for free, but I found Paigin’s inclusion on that list very encouraging.

90. bendelson says:

Bendelson. Wow. THAT was awesome.

Much obliged LT.
    It was an enjoyable exercise.

91. slopitch says:

bendelson,

Well done. I LOL’d several times while drinking a beer at the airport. Needless to say the entertainment was appreciated.

fifthcartel:

You did it perfectly, and I thank you.

93. Woogie63 says:

He can’t trade Taylor Hall.He already did that .

He can’t sign someone to a massive contract.He already did that.

He is out of cards.This isthe team for the next two years.* Is it good enough?

You know we finished in 29th place last year? Big change was going to happen.

94. theres oil in virginia says:

bendelson: Much obliged LT.
    It was an enjoyable exercise.

Ha! Revise those numbers up!

95. MrEd says:

bendelson,

Nero Divla (To Each a Zone) by The smalls, should be at least considered as an option for the Oilers GOAL song.
    Nice work.

96. Jaxon says:

What about center Jiri Tlusty?

6’0″, 205lbs, fast, creative, 13th overall pick in 2006 is only 28yrs old. Scored 38pts in 48gp in 2012-2013. Scored 31pts in 72gp in 2014-2015. Wasn’t scoring in the offensive black hole that is New Jersey before being injured in January of last season. Not sure what happened last season, but if he’s healthy again, they should grab him on a cheap 1 or 2 year short term contract. Even if it’s just to trade him for a decent draft pick at the deadline. He would definitely give the Oilers some insurance at center. Until last season his 3 previous years average goals/60 had him in the good company of Vanek, Saad, Hornqvist, Bergeron, Pouliot, Schwartz, Belesky and Anisimov whose cap hits range from $2.4M to $6.9M. He’d be an upgrade on Letestu and he could play 3rd line C, if Draisaitl was moved to the wing.

From 2011-2012 to 2014-2015 he was 120th in Primary Points / 60 of players who played 147 games (1/2 total games) or more and 1764 minutes (12minutes x 147), or top 4 on every team. Lucic (46th), Pouliot (96th), and Eberle (13th) are the only current Oilers with a higher Primary Pts / 60 during that period (of course, McDavid is higher now and Hall was higher at 17th). On a side note, notice that Eberle has outscored Hall in this category. This measurement puts Tlusty at 5th or 6th on the Oilers in Primary Pts production (depending on where Draisaitl lands). Yakupov is 146th and Nugent-Hopkins is 151st.

EDIT: Although Tlusty is listed as C on Hockey-Reference and Hockey’s Future, he is listed as a LW on The Hockey News, Wikipedia and NHL.com, and as a LW/RW on Elite Prospects. I looked into his faceoffs during those same 4 years and he only took 59 draws and was a terrible, terrible 23.7%. Yikes. Sooooo, maybe not an option for 3C, but possibly an okay LW/RW option, if they needed that.

97. Jaxon says:

fifthcartel:

Just read it. Thanks for reminding me. I had paid for access and hadn’t been on the site in a long time. This probably isn’t a spoiler, but Puljujarvi isn’t at the top of the list. But what I found encouraging is that I like his scouting report description better than the players ahead of him on the list (however many that may be).

98. Chamucks says:

“haven’t read Lowetide in awhile, wonder if things have calmed down there?”
    *Chiarelli = F as of today*
    *caramel batman*
    “Well, the Jays are good, let’s just do that for now. “

99. tarvbc says:

I like the idea of bringing in vets that have won in this league or achieved success in some way. They know the ropes and can mentor younger/other players on the team in more ways than a stat line. Oates did a good job of that when his stats that year were a piss in the ocean.

Bring in Richards (Stoll would have been nice to) and Boyle, what’s the worst that could happen on a PTO anyway.?

100. MrEd says:

JJ wins this draw unapologetically.

101. allankyoto says:

OF17,

I agree! There are still lots of options if we don’t win the Cup next year. 😉

102. Ronald Chevalier says:

OF17,

I would give this comment a thumbs up if I could.