RICHARDS VS. LANDER

Speculation today that Mike Richards is the target of the PTO offer from Peter Chiarelli and the Edmonton Oilers. Since we have some time, I thought we might break this down a little more. I will say at the outset that this kind of move doesn’t appear to offer a lot of hope in terms of improvement over what is currently available. Let’s have a look.

ANTON LANDER 15-16

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.33 (15th among regular forwards)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil (in 49 minutes and 51 seconds)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 47.3
  • Qual Comp: 4th line competition
  • Qual Team: 4th line teammates
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: -8.1
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 54 shots/1.9%
  • Boxcars: 61, 1-2-3 .049

MIKE RICHARDS 15-16

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.83
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil (in one minute, 24 seconds)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 51.9
  • Qual Comp: 4th line competition
  • Qual Team: 4th line teammates
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: -3.3
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 46 shots/4.3%
  • Boxcars: 39, 2-3-5 .128
  1. Who is better in the faceoff circle? Richards had a 49.5 percentage in 475 faceoffs with Washington a year ago, Lander was 54.5 in almost 700 sorties. Edge: Lander.
  2. What about possession? The Capitals (as a team) posted a 51 percent Corsi, Edmonton 48.8 at 5×5. That isn’t a major difference, so I will give Richards the edge here.
  3. Is either man any good offensively? Let’s take them one at a time. Richards last season did not post much offense, but had some interesting things in his story. A very low shooting percentage skewed his offense, but even if we have him 5 goals (10 percent shooting percentage) his 5×5 60 comes out around 1.28. Edmonton will not be bringing him in for his offense.
  4. What about Lander? Much the same. His shooting percentage was insane, so giving him normal would put his offense around 5-2-7 and 0.76. I would give the edge a year ago to Richards, maybe this coming season.
  5. Is the age gap worth noting? I think it is the biggest item on the page. Lander is 25 and a young player, Richards is an old 31. That is the biggest takeaway from any conversation involving these two players.
  6. What about the Vollman? Sledgehammers are below, and both men are batting near the end of the order. Richards is the better man by the bubble, but again you would like your fourth line man to post some offense when facing the soft parade.
  7. What is the most negative thing about Lander? Last season, the NHL employed 378 forwards who played more than 400 minutes. Lander’s 0.33 points-per-60 at 5×5 ranked him No. 375 overall—ahead of only Boyd Gordon, Paul Gaustad and Jacob Josefsen. Richards, certainly no screaming hell, ranks No. 330—still fourth line, but a better number for sure.
  8. What is the most negative thing about about Richards? Lisa Dillman of the LA Times wrote some pretty painful words a few miles back.
  9. Does this feel like a Peter Chiarelli move? Yes. I bet you money the general manager would like to see Richards in camp, and would consider him as high as 3C if the player shows well.
  10. Why? Richards is a veteran who has been to war, and won some plus lost a few. I imagine the appeal of redemption plays a part, that is true in all of us. The offense may be gone forever, and that would require a lesser role. Still, opportunity here.
  11. Did Chiarelli bring in older players in Boston? Oh yes. Beginning in 2006, Chiarelli added a plethora of older players, many looking to make a comeback. Jason York, Aaron Ward (acquired mid-season age 33), Shean Donovan, Manny Fernandez, Glen Metropolit, Shane Hnidy, Shawn Thornton, Mark Recchi, Stephane Yelle, Miro Satan, Trent Whitfield, Tomas Kaberle. That takes us to 2011 spring and the Bruins’ Stanley Cup victory.
  12. What about after that? Brian Rolston, Marty Turco, Joe Corvo, Jaromir Jagr, Jay Pandalfo, Wade Redden, Jarome Iginla, Simon Gagne. It’s a thing. Chiarelli likes veteran NHL players. Note: Clearly men like Jagr and Iginla were more substantial but the point about aging veterans remains.
  13. Some of those players are kind of fringe, too. Yes. There are fringe players sprinkled through the entire time, I think PC likes a veteran bench, as they say in baseball.
  14. If the Oilers invite him, will you be shocked? No.
  15. If he makes the team, would it surprise you? Yes. A little.
  16. Would you cheer for him? Of course. Redemption is a powerful thing.
  17. Will you consider it wise for Edmonton to waive Lander and run with Richards? Probably not, but an invite followed by a strong performance could change minds.

LANDER VOLLMAN

vollman centers

RICHARDS VOLLMAN

capitals vollman

53 Responses to "RICHARDS VS. LANDER"

1. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

If Lander let’s himself lose his 5C job to a 31 year old with no offense with some of the unsavory history of Mike Richards, then so be it.

That’s not a high bar for Lander to clear. But if he doesn’t clear it he doesn’t clear it.

Regardless of who slots in at 5C, they can always be replaced by Khaira 20 games in, or whoever else is doing good things in Bakersfield.

2. G Money says:

Mike Richards’ career pts/gm trajectory looks like Lake Louise: http://i.imgur.com/vaZDRiM.png

Anton Lander’s trajectory looks like a kids drawing of Everest: http://i.imgur.com/Me2iX4y.png

G Money:

Lander had a helluva pre-season too. Crazy year.

4. LadiesloveSmid says:

did Tyler Kennedy play any centre?

5. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: Lander had a helluva pre-season too. Crazy year.

The Nelson effect wore off after that beating by Dallas early on in the season. #Yikes

6. Centre of attention says:

Man, I love Leon on the wing but I also equally hate the thought of Richards at 3C.

Oh, those Oilers.™

7. OilLeak says:

I don’t think Lander or Richards are ideal choices for this team, but I seriously don’t understand the loyalty Lander seems to get. The chart Gmoney posted just seems to further reinforce the idea that Lander returned to his previously established ability and had a one year of unsustainable production.

The Lander dream is dead.

8. Factotum says:

I do not understand the virtue of a Mike Richards PTO. At all.

I’m hoping that a decent RW (or even better, a C so Leon can play RW) hits the waiver wire near the end of pre-season, because IMO the RW depth chart isn’t nearly good enough, and counting on Puljujarvi this year seems like pure folly.

That’s right – once again, I’m *hoping* for the best. And we all know how that will turn out.

Like always.

Being a fan of this team is as depressing as hell.

9. Centre of attention says:

OilLeak:
    I don’t think Lander or Richards are ideal choices for this team, but I seriously don’t understand the loyalty Lander seems to get.The chart Gmoney posted just seems to further reinforce the idea that Lander returned to his previously established ability and had a one year of unsustainable production.

The Lander dream is dead.

Todd Nelson should replace one of the assistant coaches, maybe Herbers?

Nelson is the key to Lander. Watch Detroit pick him up off waivers, and Nelson turns his game around completely haha. I hope he does well where ever he goes.

10. OilLeak says:

Centre of attention,

11. Water Fire says:

Lander needs to come into camp and play like his skates are on fire and he could make the team.

He (and everyone else on the bubble) have to make an impact and if it’s not points it better be dents in the boards. There won’t be many spots for guys that cruise around and don’t post any stats of any kind at least for this management group.

12. G Money says:

Sous vide chicken breast tonight, which my wife is now incorporating into a stir fry.

Came out perfect – fully cooked, but ridiculously tender.

Hot damn.

13. Mr DeBakey says:

OilLeak: Taylor Hall was the reason Lander produced, away from him his production cratered. Nelson was playing favourites with Lander.

Were they successful as linemates?

14. Mr DeBakey says:

Centre of attention: Todd Nelson should replace one of the assistant coaches, maybe Herbers?

A better choice would be to replace McLellan.
    One Todd per staff.

15. Spengler says:

G Money,

Have you tried a 64° egg yet?

16. Westchester Oil says:

If Richards makes the team, I sure hope that he and Kassian don’t become roommates.

17. Kaptain Vikarious says:

Westchester Oil:

Or “linemates”.

Not sure it means, what you think it means.

🙂

18. G Money says:

Spengler,

I have not. One of my Twitter chef-acquaintances tells me that s-v eggs are the peak of eating though, so they’re definitely on the list to try!

19. Klima's_Bucket says:

Not sure if this has been posted here or not, but Rhys Jessop from “That’s Offside” and Canucks Army was just hired by the Florida Panthers. He is the man who wrote that article that Woodguy linked to the other day about drafting Dmen that don’t put up offence.

That’s the third Canucks blogger to be scooped up by the Panthers over the last couple of years.

Soon it will be G and Woodguy being snapped up.

20. Ryan says:

Lowetide: Lander had a helluva pre-season too. Crazy year.

I’d like to say that nobody saw it coming except… Well… Me lol.

Damn Pouzar won the bet despite being flat out wrong because Oilers.

21. Pouzar says:

Kaptain Vikarious: Or “linemates”.

Ouch!

22. Pouzar says:

Ryan: I’d like to say that nobody saw it coming except… Well… Me lol.

Damn Pouzar won the bet despite being flat out wrong because Oilers.

Can’t argue with you there.
    But ask me if I feel bad about it? 😛

23. wheatnoil says:

****SPAM ALERT****

I thought this would be of interest to the prospect geeks around here (LT especially). Ryan Stimson has developed some great new metrics for the NCAA. He has estimated TOI (all situations) as well as estimated Quality of Competition and estimated Quality of Teammates! I was SUPER excited when I found out (I’m a huge geek) and immediately wrote a post about all the Oilers related players.

Part 1 is about the UFA signings: Caggiula, Russell, Benik, and Benning.

Hopefully I’ll have Part 2 up tomorrow which should have all the draftees currently in the NCAA (Muir, Campbell, Vesel, Lagesson and Desharnais).

****** END SPAM ******

24. Pouzar says:

wheatnoil:
    ****SPAM ALERT****

Part 1 is about the UFA signings: Caggiula, Russell, Benik, and Benning.

****** END SPAM ******

Thx Wheat great stuff! #Benning

25. kinger_OIL says:

wheatnoil,

– Really nice work, and visuals. Congrats on this!

– I hadn’t realized Drake was playing with two 1st rounders: thanks for coming out…

26. wheatnoil says:

kinger_OIL:
    wheatnoil,

– Really nice work, and visuals.Congrats on this!

Thanks! To clarify, though, I didn’t create the visuals or do any of the work. All the credit goes to Ryan Stimson, who I believe also did the visualizations. All I did was pull out all the Oilers related stuff and present it together.

27. Ryan says:

Pouzar: Can’t argue with you there.
    But ask me if I feel bad about it?

It was a painful loss.

I had intended on creating a win-win scenario for myself. Instead, It was an epic fail on my part. 🙁

Either I was right and you’d make a contribution to the blog or if Lander surpassed my expectations, then I would. Whichever happened, I’d still be happy because if I were wrong about Lander, then the Oilers would still have had a useful hockey player.

Simple win-win scenario.

Instead, the Mendoza line left tire tracks all across Lander’s back and I still lost the bet due to injuries, other factors, and how I worded the wager.

This when sane and intelligent people (I won’t name names) had previously written Lander in pen for 3c last season.

How could I predict that a player who can’t throw a punch would get to play 61 games with 1-2-3 boxcars?

28. Ryan says:

OilLeak:
    Centre of attention,

Taylor Hall was the reason Lander produced, away from him his production cratered.Nelson was playing favourites with Lander.

Hopefully the same will not be said of Draisatl.

29. Spengler says:

wheatnoil,

But it took someone to do it. Cheers for that. Really interesting read!

30. Gerta Rauss says:

Lowetide: Nope.

Curious, are you basing this on the number of face-offs he took..?

If yes, would this suggest that Mueller played a little bit of C in his first year with Phoenix?

I seem to recall he played a bit of C but I could be wrong

Gerta Rauss: Curious, are you basing this on the number of face-offs he took..?

32. Yak Efron says:

Did Lucic and Richards have any overlap in LA? Asking for a lazy friend…

Yak Efron:
    Did Lucic and Richards have any overlap in LA? Asking for a lazy friend…

No. Missed each other by a year, little more if you include Manchester.

34. frjohnk says:

Ryan: Hopefully the same will not be said of Draisatl.

Lander in 14-15
    *Scored 6 goals 14 assists in 38 games
    *1 goal 10 assists 5 on 5. Here he had a 5.6% shooting percentage. He had a points/60 of 1.49
    *4 goals 3 assists on the PP. Here he had a 17.4% shooting percentage. He had a points/60 of 5.62
    *1 goal 4 on 4 . Here he had a 16.67% shooting percentage.

1 goal 6 assists with Shultz in 165 mins
    1 goal 3 assists with Klefbom in 152 mins
    0 goals 3 assists with Hall in 93 minutes 5 on 5 48.5% CF%.
    1 goal 6 assists with Fraser in 213 minutes..
    1 goal 2 assists with Purcell in 86 minutes.
    0 goals 3 assists with Miller in 103 minutes
    0 points with Pak in 64 minutes
    2 pts with Gazdic in 61 minutes and a 53% CF%!!!!!

Unless Lander scored a bunch on the PP with Hall, it looks like the offense was spread around.

wheatnoil:
    ****SPAM ALERT****

Part 1 is about the UFA signings: Caggiula, Russell, Benik, and Benning.

****** END SPAM ******

I read this earlier today, thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to tomorrow’s!

36. stevezie says:

Zemgus Girgensons signed for 1.15 mil today

I remember when he was an uo and coming defensive forward who looked like exactly what we needed. Has he become Buffalo’s Lander?

37. mit167 says:

Completely off Topic LT, but I was watching some Tyler Beck highlights, and now I’m re-thinking that Beck might be the guy that comes in and takes the 14F or even the 4RW spot. Pakirainen better have a good camp. Should be an interesting pre-season.

38. Woogie63 says:

Listening to the PC interview on Stauffer, and that he is basically now done.

Opening day line;

Lucic-McDavid-Yakupov
    Maroon-Nuge-Eberle
    Pouliot – Drisaital- Slepyshev
    Henderson-Letestu – Kassian
    Pakarinen-Lander

Klefblom – Larsson
    Davidson – Sekera
    Nurse- Reinhart
    Fayne

Talbot
    Monster

Slepyshev is making $70K on AHL contract and can make $1M in the KHL … They will finish his development with soft parade 3rd liners or Kassian will take his play time .

Reinhart has bonus issues BUT the 29th place Oilers will not hold the guy back because he will earn more money they don’t want to be that team. Also his late season try-out has earned him 5-6 audition …if he or Nurse/Davidson stumble Fayne will replace them

Puljajärvi will get 20-30 AHL games to find his game in the AHL

LB doesn’t have to clear waivers and clearly stumbled in his try-out last year.

39. Ryan says:

frjohnk: Lander in 14-15
    *Scored 6 goals 14 assists in 38 games
    *1 goal 10 assists 5 on 5.Here he had a 5.6% shooting percentage.He had a points/60 of 1.49
    *4 goals 3 assists on the PP.Here he had a 17.4% shooting percentage. He had a points/60 of 5.62
    *1 goal 4 on 4 .Here he had a 16.67% shooting percentage.

1 goal 6 assists with Shultz in 165 mins
    1 goal 3 assists with Klefbom in 152 mins
    0 goals 3 assists with Hall in 93 minutes 5 on 548.5% CF%.
    1 goal 6 assists with Fraser in 213 minutes..
    1 goal 2 assists with Purcell in 86 minutes.
    0 goals 3 assists with Miller in 103 minutes
    0 points with Pak in 64 minutes
    2 pts with Gazdic in 61 minutes and a 53% CF%!!!!!

Lander with Hall 14-15

– gf 50% cf 48.5%

Lander without Hall 14-15

– gf 31% cf 48.6%

40. blackadder says:

I remember reading that Lisa Dallman article when it came out. That interview with Lombardi was done right after he used Richards arrest at the border to get out of a horrible contract. Didn’t really change my opinion of Mike Richards much, he certainly isn’t the first player to develop problems with painkillers after likely playing through injuries and possibly while suffering from post-concussion symptoms.

But, Dean Lombardi came off as a self-serving asshole. I wonder how many times the Kings sent a still injured Richards back on the ice, held together by cortisone and Percocet and the belief that if you don’t do everything you can to get back out on the ice you’re letting teammates down. Lombardi spoke of feeling betrayed and losing trust after he did everything he could for Richards, although I suspect the only person who was actually betrayed was Richards.

Redemption story indeed, I’ll be cheering for him.

41. Ryan says:

On another note,

Last year the Oilers drafted a player that’s not too bad. If healthy, he could turn the tide.

42. stevezie says:

blackadder: Dean Lombardi came off as a self-serving asshole.

That’s how i read it too, but you can only tell so much from an article.

43. JJS says:

So we are engaged in a healthy debate about which of the 3 worst centers in the league should run our fourth line? Lander, Gaustad, or Richards? Crazy. I had fairly high hopes for Lander but there has to be a better kid on the farm/elsewhere in the AHL/available for a dime from a cap team that is worth these minutes. I truly hope the PTOs are just to fill the training camp roster.

JJS:
    So we are engaged in a healthy debate about which of the 3 worst centers in the league should run our fourth line?Lander, Gaustad, or Richards?Crazy.I had fairly high hopes for Lander but there has to be a better kid on the farm/elsewhere in the AHL/available for a dime from a cap team that is worth these minutes.I truly hope the PTOs are just to fill the training camp roster.

Lander had a ghastly season, and has had a weird career path, but there is a job here. I can’t say that he should be a favorite, or even that he should be a strong option, but I am cheering for him. And I would bet he would never have as weird an offensive season in 10 NHL seasons as he had last year.

45. Walter Sobchak says:

Not for anything, but the Oilers are still a young team with not a lot of players that have been through the grind, been through the pressure games and it’s something badly lacking on this team.
    This is whatI talk of balance in a team, these are the players that add that other element both on the ice and in the room.

If Richardson comes in clean, fit, focused and looking to push for a spot I say sail on Mr Lander.

46. Mr DeBakey says:

JJS: So we are engaged in a healthy debate about which of the 3 worst centers in the league should run our fourth line?

Letestu is 4th.
    Pressbox!

47. Yeti says:

I would be perfectly happy if Lander and JP got sent down to the AHL together, with Lander mentoring the transition to North American ice, then to come back up as a duo forty games in. A fourth line of those two with Hendricks on LW could be good and its the kind of cushioned entry to the Oilers that JP deserves (but won’t get).

48. OilersFuture says:

I think one of the major problems with comparing Richards last year versus Lander is.

1. Richards came into the season without a training camp.
    2. Unless I’m reading the WOWYS incorrectly – Richards most often linemates last season; WINNIK, DANIEL, WILSON, TOM, CHIMERA, JASON, LAICH, BROOKS, BEAGLE, JAY, LATTA, MICHAEL, GALIEV, STANISLAV, JOHANSSON, MARCUS all had worse CF% without Richards than with him.
    3. Richards in the three previous seasons offense was 1.35. Which is likely more in-line with his offensive production.
    4. Even the season that Lander had a HUGE offensive surge his GA/60 was 3.247, which is not good. He has historically been outscored in the range of GF% of 30 – 35 %.
    5. Anton Lander is better at Face Offs. Here are the historical numbers.
    Richards
    2013-14 53.9
    2014-15 48.7
    2015-16 49.5
    Outside of 2013-14 his FO% is in the 49 – 50% range. He’s not great but he is not horrible by any means.
    Lander
    2013-14 44.4 (only 160 FO)
    2014-15 50.1
    2015-16 54.5

There is a chance that this past season is a blip but perhaps Lander is the next Gordon. But he, historically, is on the ice too often for goals against to be a defensive specialist. Although last season he was under 2 GA / G.

Personally, I think that Richards could play on a third line with Maroon and Yakupov, if they wanted to run Drai as a winger in the top six. I don’t think Lander can play that high up the batting order. At this point Lander is an NHL/AHL tweener. He’s likely ticketed for Europe next season.
    Would the team be better with Richards or Lander? I’m not sure how this is even up for debate.

49. theres oil in virginia says:

Hey LT. Not sure what’s up, but this website appeared to be down for me for about the last day. The available tools that check if a website is down were all saying it was down as well. I see that there are posts and comments indicating that it wasn’t down for many people. Strange.

50. SoCaloil says:

New strategy: Let’s surround mcdavid pool party and the new young core with guys with off ice issues. I’m sure that will motivate them to be their best !

51. Water Fire says:

Yeti:

Lander needs to be able to fill 3C to be a compelling option for the team as Letestu can’t, and at this point if he is going to make the NHL he should be able to do that. I can’t see him as a winger and sticking because style, quickness and left handed, but you never know.

OilersFuture:

1. Richards came into the season without a training camp.
    3. Richards in the three previous seasons offense was 1.35.Which is likely more in-line with his offensive production.
    4. Even the season that Lander had a HUGE offensive surge his GA/60 was 3.247, which is not good.He has historically been outscored in the range of GF% of 30 – 35 %.
    5. Anton Lander is better at Face Offs.Here are the historical numbers.
    Richards
    2013-14 53.9
    2014-15 48.7
    2015-16 49.5
    Outside of 2013-14 his FO% is in the 49 – 50% range.He’s not great but he is not horrible by any means.
    Lander
    2013-14 44.4 (only 160 FO)
    2014-15 50.1
    2015-16 54.5

There is a chance that this past season is a blip but perhaps Lander is the next Gordon.But he, historically, is on the ice too often for goals against to be a defensive specialist.Although last season he was under 2 GA / G.

Personally, I think that Richards could play on a third line with Maroon and Yakupov, if they wanted to run Drai as a winger in the top six.I don’t think Lander can play that high up the batting order.At this point Lander is an NHL/AHL tweener.He’s likely ticketed for Europe next season.
    Would the team be better with Richards or Lander?I’m not sure how this is even up for debate.

Richards didn’t have to play with Korpikoski.