THE FOUR HORSEMEN (PLUS ANOTHER GUY)

This was the summer to sign 2014 draft picks, and Edmonton did not have a lot going on. Craig MacTavish dealt away his second and third-round picks in that season (second went in the Perron trade, the damned Blues got a great prospect in Ivan Barbashev and the third was spent on Ben Scrivens), and the team did some bizarre things after choosing Williams Lagesson No. 91 overall.

WOBBLY 2014 COLLEGE DRAFTEES

• 2014G Zach Nagelvoort was chosen in the 4th round from Michigan. Although his draft day numbers were very good, he has faded since and didn’t play much in the second half of his junior year. Completely up in the air as a prospect, he should get the net this year but his SPs have gone from .929 to .906 to .893.
  • 2014L Liam Coughlin in the 5th round. Drafted out of Vernon (BCJHL) after 19-year old season, he had some issues getting into (Boston) university so spent another year in BC. He was traded by Chiarelli to the Chicago organization last summer and was a freshman for Vermont this past year. Blackhawks have a solid scouting and procurement department, but he seems a distant bell.
  • 2014F Tyler Vesel in the 6th round. Drafted out of Omaha (USHL) after 20-year old season, he has played well for two years at U Nebraska-Omaha. No idea if they ever sign him, but is on the radar as a prospect (imo).

FOUR COLLEGE SIGNINGS REPRESENT A MAJOR SPIKE

1. March 8, 2011: Oilers sign Taylor Fedun from Princeton.
  2. March 19, 2011: Oilers sign Tanner House from Maine.
  3. March 31, 2011: Oilers sign Hunter Tremblay from University of New Brunswick.
  4. April 1, 2011: Oilers sign Mark Arcobello.
  5. July 1, 2012: Oilers sign Justin Schultz from Wisconsin.
  6. April 17, 2013: Oilers sign Andrew Miller from Yale.
  7. March 31, 2014: Oilers sign Jordan Oesterle from Western Michigan.
  8. April 3, 2014: Bakersfield signs Connor Jones.
  9. Summer, 2014: Bakersfield signs C.J. Ludwig.
  10. June 24, 2015: Bakersfield signs D Nick Pageau.
  11. March 31, 2016: Bakersfield signs W Joey Benik from St. Cloud State.
  12. April 7, 2016: Oilers sign Nick Ellis from Providence.
  13. May 6, 2016: Oilers sign Drake Caggiula from North Dakota.
  14. May 9, 2016: Oilers sign Patrick Russell from St. Cloud State.
  15. August 27, 2016: Oilers sign Matt Benning from Northeastern.

That is an enormous number of prospects in one summer—Edmonton didn’t run the table (as Detroit did in the Oates summer) but they did grab four interesting assets. In terms of recovery from a miserable 2014 draft (Edmonton got Leon and Lagesson, the rest are anyone’s guess—Vesel being the most promising), I think this has to be considered a win for Peter Chiarelli. I have no evidence that he sat in his office and made the decision to make the spring college signing season his mini redo of the 2014 entry draft, but it sure as hell looks like it. Not all of these men will turn out, but the general manager gave his team a chance in a dry summer for graduating draft picks.

EXPECTATIONS 2016-17

1. L Drake Cagguila, North Dakota (39, 25-26-51). Destination 2016-17: At least half a season in the AHL, but there is a good chance he sees NHL time. The great thing about Caggiula is that his signing addressed a major need—prospects who can score at a rate that might allow them to contribute at the NHL when recalled—and along with Puljujarvi he is an exciting option on the wing this year.
  2. RD Matt Benning, Northeastern (41, 6-13-19). Destination 2016-17: AHL for a time, although PC has made some noises about NHL time. He is a rare righty so there probably will be a fast track if he flourishes. His numbers remind me of Dillon Simpson, his physical game suggests a more rugged player and both men are solid in coverage based on the scouting reports.
  3. R Patrick Russell, St. Cloud State (41, 20-21-41). Destination 2016-17: Scoring role in Bakersfield, early or late. I don’t know enough about his footspeed to guarantee 20 AHL goals, but he has good hands and some other elements that should give us some hope about him. Intriguing player, could pass some draft picks during the next 12 months.
  4. G Nick Ellis, Providence (36, 1.80 .936). Destination 2016-17: AHL starter or backup. Impossible to know, but Ellis had great college numbers and I think he could end up grabbing the starting role at some point in the AHL season. He would need Brossoit to get the recall, play better than Gustavsson and be better than Laurikainen. That isn’t a difficult game plan.
  5. W Joey Benik, St. Cloud State (41, 23-25-48). Destination 2016-17: Battling for playing time in Bakersfield and Norfolk. He is 5.10, 175 and a pretty solid college scorer.

Note: Our own WheatnOil wrote two brilliant articles about these men, here and here. Highly recommended reading.

32 Responses to "THE FOUR HORSEMEN (PLUS ANOTHER GUY)"

1. Ducey says:

Sallinen is on the same trajectory – although older and maybe not as promising.

2. Centre of attention says:

Public service announcement: Those new apple pie stuffed fritters from Tim Hortons are sinfully good. I ate 2 in one sitting and I have zero regrets.

That is all.

Also, Russel eats Pitlicks lunch and Benik surprises. “Book it”

3. Richard S.S. says:

Did the Oilers trade Jere Sallinen (RW), 6’0″183, (25), signed 13 March?

Richard S.S.:
    Did the Oilers trade Jere Sallinen (RW),6’0″183, (25), signed 13 March?

No. He wasn’t a college free agent, though, having signed out of the KHL.

5. Mr DeBakey says:

Ducey:
    Sallinen is on the same trajectory – although older and maybe not as promising.

I’m not sure that what Sallinen has could be called a trajectory.

6. lynn says:

I think Jujhar Khaira is going to be the surprise at training camp.

He has had two years in the AHL, and 15 games with the Oilers last season. He knew what he is up against going into the offseason.

Khaira seems to have the ability to amplify hs game once he becomes comfortable with the level he is playing at. I think Khaira has seen more levels of competition than any Oilers’ prospect.

Khaira may come into camp bigger, stronger, faster, and more confident in his third pro season. Awe is over for Khaira.

7. stush18 says:

lynn:
    I think Jujhar Khaira is going to be the surprise at training camp.

I really think slepyshev is going to surprise, and I think beck is going to turn a lot of heads as well. He knows this is last chance texaco, and he’s got decent boxcars in the NHL. Exactly Chias player type.

8. wheatnoil says:

Thanks for the shout-out LT.

I actually did look up Liam Coughlin too but didn’t include him. He played ~10 min a night as a Freshman with and against largely 2nd line caliber competition, which actually isn’t terrible for a freshman. Of course, he didn’t score enough and he’s already 22 this month.

Even though Nilsson didn’t turn out, that was a great trade.

9. Caramel Batman says:

In the last thread Woodguy posted the following:

“Last two years combined:

Relative Zone Start Ration (ZSR)

Larsson -19.1
    Subban +4.6

Relative Expected Goal Share (RelxGF%)

Larsson +2.73
    Subban +1.11”

This is as powerful and elegant defense of the trade as you will find. But my question to Woodguy, or anyone else, is what do you think these numbers mean?

I know what they literally say. That is evident. What I’d like to know is what do they mean?

For instance, do you believe that Larsson is a better (where better means adds more than he gives up) player than Subban?

If not, why not?

10. sliderule says:

Even strength points

Adam Larsson 3-15-18 pts
    PK Subban. 4-23-27 pts

Can the analytics guys tell how meaningful the difference is in team wins and losses.

11. stush18 says:

Caramel Batman:
    In the last thread Woodguy posted the following:

“Last two years combined:

Relative Zone Start Ration (ZSR)

Larsson -19.1
    Subban +4.6

Relative Expected Goal Share (RelxGF%)

Larsson +2.73
    Subban +1.11”

This is as powerful and elegant defense of the trade as you will find.But my question to Woodguy, or anyone else, is what do you think these numbers mean?

I know what they literally say.That is evident.What I’d like to know is what do they mean?

If not, why not?

I follow Sean tierny on Twitter (great add) and he’s been posting graphs of teams the past week or so, showing players and how they do as far as shots vs assists for shots.

The Devils have one above average player, and that was Kennedy. The rest fell into his “no offense” category.

No I’m doing a horrible job interpreting this for everyone here, but go take a look. Larsson is going to turn some heads, and I’ve been fine with that trade since it happened.

12. lynn says:

stush18: I would like one more year of JJ getting 1st line minutes in the AHL, for the exact reason that you’ve listed- he’s only played two years of AHL, and the oilers don’t play the rooks much their first year.

13. haters says:

Cagguila NHLE is 22-22 44pts.
    Something doesn’t jive here. 20 goal scorers are pretty hard to come by, unless your Columbus….

Someone needs to look over how they come to these predictions because from what I’ve seen in his numbers there’s like no way I would project 20+ goals from this player. Unless he gets 18+ minutes a night and 1st unit pp time.

I’d like to say it’s an interesting tool to gauge what a player might reasonably do but I’m not convinced.

haters:
    Cagguila NHLE is 22-22 44pts.
    Something doesn’t jive here.20 goal scorers are pretty hard to come by, unless your Columbus….

15. Centre of attention says:

Yeah, without giving too much away from Wheats piece the QoT and QoC factors that come into play with Cagguila are intriguing, and changed my view of the player substantially.

I’ve tempered my expectations somewhat over time.

Centre of attention:

I’ve tempered my expectations somewhat over time.

Yes. I have him close to a point per game in the AHL and struggling in the NHL (but getting a look) in the RE.

17. Spengler says:

Centre of attention,

Unless I’m mistaken, NHLE only factors in those who have played, and played enough to be measured, in both leagues. As such, it only means that typically players with X stats in college, junior etc will have Y stats in the NHL, IF they make the league. It doesn’t factor in the odds of a player making the NHL or playing significant minutes.

18. Spengler says:

Which kind of sounds condescending now that I read it but was merely meant to say any NHLE should be read with tempered expectations.

19. stush18 says:

lynn: Slepyshev and Khaira may be regulars in the Oilers’ lineup by the trade deadline next season.

Agreed. Cup of coffee at the start, down until January, called back up as regulars.

I think yak is gone the moment the recieve a good offer.

I know we complain about the lack of depth lots here, but slepyshev, pitlick, beck, kassian, pool, and pak are all competing for 3R and 4R.

It’s a tight completion on the left side too with arguably lander, JJ, cagguila, and salinen competing for spots.

Hendricks will be moved out to a contender. Yak to a rebuild team. Lander could be moved as well, this is his last shot. I personally prefer him over letestu on the fourth line.

Lots to look forward to at camp.

20. haters says:

Lowetide: The WheatnOil piece I linked to above offers some really good insight on this player, well worth the read.

Yup read them. Great articles.
    Says we need to temper pt projection based on him racking up pts vs weaker comp.
    I’m getting why his equivalency is so high now. Impressive ppg total.

In your opinion, could the best teams in CHL OHL and Q beat/hang with the best college teams ?

haters: Yup read them. Great articles.
    I’m getting why his equivalency is so high now. Impressive ppg total.

Great question. I think the age difference would be a big issue for junior teams, there are 25-year olds in the NCAA, good ones, that could impact a junior team with several 17-year olds. Pure talent on the junior team (at the top end) would be higher, but I would give the edge to a really good college team like UND. Goaltending, maybe 7 or 8 real NHL prospects, and they are men. That would be tough for a junior team.

22. haters says:

Yup that’s kind of the conclusion I came to. I would love to see a friendly tourney mid summer with something like that. Allstar juniors vs all star college. Age cap at 22.

I see a RE for Caggulia at around 8g 15 assist’s if deployed on 3rd 4rth line. I realize NHLE doesn’t project these things, they just project offense based on similar deployment in NHL. Those numbers are totally reasonable if he gets 1st line minutes.

Takes me a while but I do catch on.

Caramel Batman,

This is as powerful and elegant defense of the trade as you will find.

First off, thanks.

Its not a defence of the trade though.

Its a defence of Larsson.

I’ll never like that trade.

Its also taking the air out of Subban’s tires a bit.

If not, why not?

I think it means they are a lot closer in overall impact than it looks like on the surface.

The problem with Rel’s is that if the team is poor, the player looks better and if the team is good the player looks poorer.

Imo NJD had a slightly weaker Dcorps than MTL so that’s going to help Larsson.

Subban’s forte is offence, while Larsson forte is defence and that shows up when you break down the RelxGF% into for and against.

RelxGF/60
    Larsson -0.02
    Subban +0.26

So MTL will score a lot more with Subban on than off, while NJD basically breaks even with Larsson.

RelxGA/60
    Larsson -0.27
    Subban +0.15

This is the part where your eyes go wide a bit.

With Larsson on the ice the expected goals against drop significantly. (as much as Subban adds), while Subban gets scored on more.

I think that while Larsson and Subban are two very, very different players, their overall impact on the team is very similar (albeit in a different fashion)

That makes Subban very overpaid for his contribution.

Then you add in the Rel ZSR of -19 to +4.5 and its even tougher to see $9MM in value for Subban.

Still doesn’t make the Hall trade a good one though.

sliderule:
    Even strength points

Adam Larsson 3-15-18 pts
    PK Subban. 4-23-27 pts

Can the analytics guystell how meaningfulthe difference is in team wins and losses.

I’m not sure you can get a W/L ratio from just straight points.

When measuring offence I think its best to try and measure the “incremental increase to team scoring when the player is on the ice”

A good example of this is the Eberle vs Yak with McDavid debate.

The Ebs side say: “Ebs got 8g and 8a = 16pts with McDavid, whereas Yak got 2g and 7a = 9pts w/ McDavid so Ebs is Superior”

The Oilers though, didn’t score more with Ebs there than Yak.

Goals For/60 McD & Ebs = 3.79
    Goals For/60 McD & Yak = 3.80

Nor did the Oilers get scored against more with either set:

Goals Against/60 McD & Ebs = 3.29
    Goals Against/60 McD & Yak = 3.21

Basically its a wash.

So when looking at Subban points vs Larsson points I’m more inclined to ask: “did the team score more when they were on the ice?”

If you are concerned about measuring that in wins, then you have to include the goals against as well though.

25. kelvjn says:

One day we could look back at 2014 as a good draft year.

Turning draft picks(15% of the time turns out to play 100+ games for a 2nd) for an actual player you need is never a bad thing. These picks that weren’t made retained more value than the ones that did:
    – MPS + 2nd for Perron turned into 1st + klinkhammer (and major piece for Reinhart)
    – 3rd for Scivens turned into Kassian

Compared to the lauded 2013,
    -Marco Roy
    -2nd for 5 picks looked reasonable at the time but none of the picks turned out so far.

Doubt you could have even recover a 4th between them last year.

Of the other 2014 picks, 2 were goalies (necessary voodoo) and the 5th turned into a 5th in 2016. So out of 7 picks 4 retrained values after 2 years isn’t so bad.

26. sliderule says:

Woodguy,

I posted that as a kind of defence of Larsson.

At even strength Larsson gives you one less goal and 8 less assists with all those brutal face off zone starts.

Give Larsson Subban’s zone starts and the results would surprise you.

sliderule:
    Woodguy,

I posted that as a kind of defence of Larsson.

Give Larsson Subban’s zone starts and the results would surprise you.

sliderule:
    Woodguy,

I posted that as a kind of defence of Larsson.

Give Larsson Subban’s zone starts and the results would surprise you.

I get it now.

I thought you were seriously asking.

Sorry

Lowetide: Larsson, in his last two seasons, has actually posted interesting offense considering zone starts, competition and that wacky team he plays for. Do we have his road Corsi?

Here’s the last two years combined, road games only.

CF%
    Subban 50.9%
    Larsson 44.1%

xGF%
    Subban 47.8%
    Larsson 47.2%

RelCF%
    Subban +2.6%
    Larsson -2.1%

RelxGF%
    Subban -0.4
    Larsson +3.7

Relative Zone Start Ratio (RelZSR)
    Subban +6.6
    Larsson -22.7

30. Caramel Batman says:

Woodguy,

The contrast between Larsson’s shot metrics and quality of shot metrics is striking.

Is it unprecedented?

If it is then it is likely to be a statistical outlier

Caramel Batman:
    Woodguy,

Is it unprecedented?

If it is then it is likely to be a statistical outlier

Its the opposite for the NJD Dmen who get all the Ozone starts too. Shot metrics much better than expected goal metrics.

NJD is a weird team corsi-wise.

CAR is weird too, but in the opposite direction.

Their CF% is usually much better than their xGF%, especially Faulk. (don’t I didn’t realize that Faulk was so severe when I wrote this. I had never run the lists below before)

I used to blame Ward for their dismal GA./60 compared to the corsi, but when looking at xGA his SV% is actually better than average.

The discrepancy lies in the weighting of the shots for xGF and it really penalizes Dmen who have a lot of CA from the high danger areas and would probably also penalize them for playing with forwards who don’t drive the puck into the scoring zone as well.

Here’s a list of the Dmen who’s CF and xGF diverge the most (both sides of the equation) (sample is last 2 years – min 1000min played)

Edit: These are road games only (left the filter on from LT’s question)

xGF% >>> CF%

JEFF.PETRY -4.32
    BRENT.SEABROOK -4.38
    MATT.BARTKOWSKI -4.62
    JONATHAN.ERICSSON -4.69
    DENNIS.SEIDENBERG -4.88
    JUSTIN.FAULK -6.09

The 3rd pairing Dmen on this list don’t interest me that much, but the 1st pairing guys sure do.

Its interesting to note that a lot of the most severe Dzone starts are present in the first group of players and a lot of the most severe Ozone starts are present in the 2nd group.

P.S. NOTE: I had left my “road games only” filter on for the above lists. Will run it again including home games below.

As per above post:

Top 20 and bottom 20 xGF% and CF% discrepancy players: (lots of Wild players eh?)

JARED.SPURGEON 4.62

MARK.FAYNE -3.25
    MICHAL.JORDAN -3.37
    ANDREW.FERENCE -3.5
    CHRISTIAN.EHRHOFF -3.88
    MICHAL.ROZSIVAL -3.89
    MATT.BARTKOWSKI -4.46

So while it looks like Larsson is certainly on the edges when looking at CF% vs xGF% difference, I don’t think we can call him an outlier.

His zone start ratio is a really big outlier though.

Top 20 and bottom 20 RelZSR: