GOT ANY ARCOBELLO’S?

Mark Arcobello (in photo by Rob Fergson all rights reserved) represents the line in the sand for all AHL prospects and college signings. He is the AHL-only contract who got an NHL deal, he is the guy who made the NHL and played in (so far) 139 games in the big leagues. Do the Oilers have any Arcobello’s?

MARK ARCOBELLO BOXCARS AND NHLE’S

1. Age 18 (Yale NCAA) 29, 10-14-24 (NHLE: 16)
  2. Age 19 (Yale NCAA) 34, 7-14-21 (NHLE: 12)
  3. Age 20 (Yale NCAA) 34, 17-18-35 (NHLE: 19)
  4. Age 21 (Yale NCAA) 34, 15-21-36 (NHLE: 20)

Arcobello has scored 31 points per 82 NHL games in his career, exceeding his NHL equivalency by quite a poke.

DRAKE CAGGIULA BOXCARS AND NHLE’S

1. Age 18 (UND NCAA) 39, 8-8-16 (NHLE: 14)
  2. Age 19 (UND NCAA) 42, 11-13-24 (NHLE: 19)
  3. Age 20 (UND NCAA) 42, 18-18-36 (NHLE: 29)
  4. Age 21 (UND NCAA) 39, 25-26-51 (NHLE: 44)

Caggiula reached Arcobello’s peak college NHLE level by age 19 and then kept on going. The NHLE’s suggest he is a more substantial prospect by some margin.

PATRICK RUSSELL BOXCARS AND NHLE’S

1. Age 21 (St. Cloud State NCAA) 40, 10-15-25 (NHLE: 21)
  2. Age 22 (St. Cloud State NCAA) 41, 20-21-41 (NHLE: 34)

Russell arrived at the NCAA late, but his two seasons were very impressive. His NHL equivalency is in the same range as Arcobello at 21.

JOEY BENIK BOXCARS AND NHLE’S

1. Age 20 (St. Cloud State NCAA) 24, 8-4-12 (NHLE: 17)
  2. Age 21 (St. Cloud State NCAA) 32, 12-15-27 (NHLE: 28)
  3. Age 22 (St. Cloud State NCAA) 40, 16-23-39 (NHLE: 33)
  4. Age 23 (St. Cloud State NCAA) 41, 23-25-48 (NHLE: 39)

His final two seasons are outstanding, but even at age 21 he was trending in a very good direction. We don’t know if he is Arcobello, but my goodness (I am watching college football) he is an interesting prospect.

JUHJHAR KHAIRA BOXCARS AND NHLE’S

1. Age 18 (Michigan Tech NCAA) 37, 6-19-25 (NHLE: 24)
  2. Age 19 (Everett WHL) 59, 16-27-43 (NHLE: 16)
  3. Age 20 (Oklahoma City AHL) 51, 4-6-10 (NHLE: 8)
  4. Age 21 (Bakersfield AHL) 49, 10-17-27 (NHLE: 21)

Khaira looks like he has similar offense to Arcobello, but it is extremely difficult to get a feel for this player. Call it the Constantine effect, but those Michigan Tech numbers returned a little last season.

I think Caggiula is the class of the group, but there is some hope for all of these young college grads at the pro level. Now, we don’t know if they are fast enough or smart enough, but if we use Arcobello as a guideline (and understand the limitations of NHLE/time on ice exclusion) then all of these men are worth watching this coming season.

27 Responses to "GOT ANY ARCOBELLO’S?"

1. dessert1111 says:

Too bad Arco’s gone to Europe, I think he’d be a better fit for the extra forward job on this roster than Lander or Richards in a lot of ways (versatile, shoots right, mid-career).

2. Water Fire says:

My hope is the Oilers never have to play anyone who isn’t better than a good NHL player that they are taking a job from, ever, again, except in the case of injury, which then I hope they are better than Pretty Arch, by a fair bit.

3. hunter1909 says:

Arcobello, Toby Peterson – the list of Oilers 4th line losers pushed by incompetent coaches over gifted offensive prospects(Schremp, Rita) is frankly, criminal.

4. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

So the national Post has an interesting article up interviewing TMac and Chia about the World Cup and how they’re gonna run the players. Interesting stuff and worth reading

5. wheatnoil says:

If Arcobello is the line in the sand, it’s worth pointing out the development timeline. It took Marcobello three more years of development in the minors after that 21 year old season before he arrived in the show.

wheatnoil:

Oh sure. I don’t think it is reasonable to project any of these guys as instant NHL successes.

7. Water Fire says:

LT I’m dense and I don’t get this. Arcobello failed as an NHL player. He played a season and a half worth of games but couldn’t stick. He was not a good player when he was there, replacement level at best. This should be a sign post of what to avoid in the future to me.

Water Fire:

By any reasonable measure Mark Arcobello was a wild success.

9. Water Fire says:

Lowetide: By any reasonable measure Mark Arcobello was a wild success.

Successful on a personal level, having beat the odds?

10. Ryan says:

Water Fire:

I could be wrong, but Arcobello for me was a guy who you cheered like hell for to make it.

Sort of like a real world Rudy.

A guy who defied odds, size and speed limitations, who got to do what none of us here who used to play hockey themselves ever did.

Agreed though that these guys would need to surpass Arcobello to be more than sideline story.

11. kinger_OIL says:

Water Fire: Successful on a personal level, having beat the odds?

– I’m with Water Fire on this LT. But I guess it’s the words that are used to describe his career. If Calluglia ends up a Mark Arcobello, to me that’s his ceiling: to me that’s not a wild sucess.

– Mark was a good guy, a smart guy, and I enjoyed his interviews and his insight about playing in the NHL. There aren’t many ivy-leauge graduated athletes in sport. I can relate to college educated professional athletes much more than the hugely talented ones for who higher-education is an after-thought in their coddled lives of awesome pro athleticism.

– We need to aim higher in our procurement and development than “Arcobello” success IMO.

– He’s a dime a dozen bottom-pairing tweener. Good for him: he played in the show, maxed out his talent. Has an elite education to complete his hockey achievements. I respect that a lot.

* plus if I’m reading this right, he played for Edmonton, Nashville, Pittsburgh and Arizona: 4 teams in one year: how cool is that!

kinger_OIL: – I’m with Water Fire on this LT.

This is the same conversation we have in farm workers. Arcobello IS the success story from college free agency.

13. VOR says:

Kinger oil, water fire…so you are saying Conor Sheary and Bryan Rust aren’t successes? Because their careers to this point look pretty much identical to Mark Arcobello. They just have better press because they got to play with Sidney Crosby and win a Stanley Cup. Arcobello was stuck playing on the Oilers.

14. Westchester Oil says:

LT, looking at the NHLE for Arcobello at Yale compared to the others from St. Cloud and North Dakota: is Yale in a significantly inferior division? e.g. Arcobello had a point per game and his NHLE was 19-20 while Benik/Russell had around a point per game but their NHLE was 33-34. I didn’t think there’d be that much difference within the NCAA?

Westchester Oil:

Yes. I use the Roatis but yes, it was not the same level league.

16. stevezie says:

hunter1909,

Arcobello had better AHL scoring than either Rita or Schremp. I liked those guys, but Arco turned into a better player than either by any definition.

I don’t understand that Arco hate. He made the show as an undrafted player. He was a pretty decent 4th liner too, seventeen goals from depth player ain’t bad. Obviously he wasn’t great, but he wasn’t bad.

Found pocket change is still found money.

Tyler Benson with a goal and an assist. Now 2, 1-2-3 in pre-season.

18. Ryan says:

Tyler Benson with a goal and an assist. Now 2, 1-2-3 in pre-season.

19. Jaxon says:

I think that is what “line in the sand” means. Arcobello is the line in the sand. That is, the least you hope for from a player you sign out of college or who goes through college after he is drafted. So, yes, Arcobello is a good line in the sand. If they’re better, you have a 4th liner who can play 3rd in a pinch and score at an okay level for that position. Caggiula looks like Cam Atkinson or JT Brown to me, so I’m hoping he can achieve Atkinson levels. Benik will be interesting to follow.

20. Ryan says:

Is the guy from Bodog familiar with the Korpse?

I can’t see Fnland being better than team North America, but they’re my team to cheer for at the World Cup. 🙂

Ryan: This is why you’re the indefatigable beacon of light shining from the Oiligosphere.

OR the curse of the Al Gore!

22. Lloyd B. says:

GOT ANY ARCOBELLOS ?

Go fish !

Playing go fish with the grandson lately. Comparing a kids game to the game GMs play looking for prospects is eerily similar.

23. LadiesloveSmid says:

Arco scored at about a 3C level and had a positive CF% impact on most all of his teammates. Right shot C. Would be a welcome fit in EDM again imo

24. wheatnoil says:

I’m surprised people are feeling Arcobello is too low of a bar. At 32 points per 82 games, positive possession (as mentioned above) and two-way play… that’s exactly what the Oilers need.
    Lucic, McDavid, Eberle, Pouliot, RNH, Drai, Puljujarvi… that’s your top 7 (top 6 if you lose Pou to the expansion draft). That also assumes Yak is gone after this year too.

The only jobs open are bottom 6 guys who can pitch in a bit. That’s Arcobello. His sin was being asked to play 2C b/c the Oilers had no one better.

If any one of these guys plays 130 games at that level and costs nothing but a contract spot and can be buried in the AHL at no cap hit and didn’t even cost a draft pick? What about that is not success?

25. YKOil says:

wheatnoil:

Agreed

26. Caramel Batman says:

Arcobello is a quality NHL player. If he was on the Oilers they would be a better team.

That he isn’t. That he isn’t on any team. Is evidence of the general standard of incompetence of NHL teams.

The NHL is the best league in the world but all the best players in the world do not play in the NHL.

And yes Ducey I do know that I am smarter than NHL executives. This is fact is part of the existential fabric of the universe.

27. OilLeak says:

Caramel Batman:
    Arcobello is a quality NHL player.If he was on the Oilers they would be a better team.

That he isn’t.That he isn’t on any team.Is evidence of the general standard of incompetence of NHL teams.

And yes Ducey I do know that I am smarter than NHL executives.This is fact is part of the existential fabric of the universe.

Agreed, Toronto Maple Leaf bloggers agreed with this sentiment as well. Babcock didn’t seem to like him( probably because he’s small) but Arcobello was a decent NHL player.