ALL THE HOCKEY NEWS THAT’S FIT TO PRINT!

We are still sailing through the hinterlands of an NHL summer, but there are signs of life. Music! Let’s have a quick look and some stories worth following today.

Early word is an unfortunate shot block (men: a moment of silence, please) and he has been placed on the IR. Paigin has played in 4 games (0-0-0) and averaging 16:16 a night. His season was not tracking well offensively before the injury, but these are early days. He will apparently miss a couple of weeks.

Yakimov has played a little in the KHL (2, 1-0-1 12:54) and appears to be playing on the wing. I would bet you money the next time he appears in NA this Russian giant will not be on the Oilers 50-man, but Bogdan remains an interesting prospect.

TOBIAS RIEDER

Dhiren Mahiban is reporting that Tobias Rieder will not be attending Coyotes camp without a contract—perhaps opening up a window for trade. He might be the Pisani.

MCDAVID POINTS?

How many points for Connor McDavid this season? I have him at 87 points this season, have seen higher. What is your prediction? The first key element I see is estimating his GP, because the young man has not gone a complete season healthy in some time. I think 1.2 times GP gets you close.

A big damned deal. If Klefbom is healthy, Edmonton’s defense looks far better than a year ago: Adam Larsson added, Brandon Davidson having emerged, Justin Schultz gone, Mark Fayne apparently adjusted to McLellan’s more aggressive style. I wonder if we see the Swede on the power play during pre-season.

CHIARELLI TRADED HALL!

Still thousands of tweets today on the Hall deal, I remain convinced it was a matter of Chiarelli finding a sweet spot on his ‘list’ of blue. As we talked about all spring and summer, his available list (I believe) included all of the Steve Austins, the 2017 first-round pick, Benoit Pouliot and various items. His want list probably started with the impossible (say, Erik Karlsson) and then wound down to the possible. On the other side of the foolscap were the Oilers’ assets—Hall among them. Once Larsson was made available, and Hall from the other side was satisfactory, then the deal was struck. It sounds like nothing much was shaking after the draft day deal fell through, so the pressure probably was a factor in the deal. As for the Subban rumors? The pricetag was dear, but the contract Subban carries may have been a big factor, too. I have been reading many observers disregarding that annual hit today, wonder if we are now at a point where opinions are baked in from both sides and there is no fence-sitter in the piece. Suspect it is close to being so.

The deeper we get into training camp without a RHD option, the better chances for Matt Benning (in my opinion). Edmonton can run two defensemen on the power play (one for each unit) and four forwards—something Todd McLellan is doing currently with Team North America.

INTERNAL SOLUTIONS

I have been rambling on since July 1 about the lack of balance on this team, but do wonder if Peter Chiarelli and Todd McLellan have internal options they would like to view in pre-season. Laurent Brossoit, Brandon Davidson (on RH side) and Jesse Puljujarvi (2R) are all internal solutions who could (if able) make this roster hum without the need for an NHL addition.

possible roster sep 6

I think Mike Richards and Eric Gryba are possible additions to the team and we may see eight defensemen again this fall on opening night. This was thrown at me the other day, so I wanted to stress one more time: I believe Leon Draisaitl is a center, should be a center and moving him off of center means failure by at least one of the RWs. Center. Leon. That has been my opinion all down the line.

49 Responses to "ALL THE HOCKEY NEWS THAT’S FIT TO PRINT!"

1. OF17 says:

Something interesting I found when running numbers on Larsson. He and Greene were stapled to each other this season, so we don’t have a lot in the way of WOWY numbers, but what we do have paints an interesting picture.

Larsson w/ Greene TOI 1200.5 CF% 43.8% xGF% 47.1%

Larsson w/ Schlemko TOI 84.9 CF% 59.1% xGF% 62.5% (!!!)

Greene w/ Moore TOI 88.3 CF% 31.8% xGF% 25.1% (!!!)
    Greene w/ Severson TOI 73.6 CF% 50.9% xGF% 48.4%

Due to sample size restrictions, it isn’t much, but I think it points to the same thing that the eye test does, namely that Larsson was carrying his pairing, and in turn, the NJ defense.

I’d be interested to see what conditions the Greene-Severson pairing were facing. Given how New Jersey used Severson the rest of the time, I doubt it was for Greene-Larsson minutes, but if it were, it could be due to Greene’s limited puck moving ability. By eye, that was the biggest limitation of Greene-Larsson last year IMO, and it’s Severson’s strong suit. Interesting results in small sample sizes.

2. OF17 says:

It would also be an intriguing idea to bring Rieder aboard, but at this point I’m not sure either he or the Oilers would be interested. This is two contract negotiations in a row where things haven’t gone swimmingly, and the Oilers’ RW depth chart was one of the reasons Rieder left in the first place. With Eberle, Puljujarvi, and Yakupov there, I can’t see him being too interested in Edmonton.

Maroon-Draisaitl-Rieder would be a really nice soft minutes line though, that’s for sure.

3. Richard S.S. says:

There comes a day, when His ELC expires and the Big Contract kicks in, it would be preferable not to be paying $9.0 Million to someone else. That messes up the Cap and that’s probably why the Subban was a nonstarter.

Then there’s the Elephant in the room – Andrew Ference – triathalon!! At this point, no way he’s going on LTIR! That messes with the Cap in many ways as the Team is Cap tight with Bonus considerations. That might mean Jesse Puljujarvi gets sent down. If I’m correct, a Team must be Cap compliant at Season’s start, and then again at Season’s end, not having spent more than the Cap over the year. After Game 1 everything changes.

Richard S.S.:
    There comes a day, when His ELC expires and the Big Contract kicks in, it would be preferable not to be paying $9.0 Million to someone else.That messes up the Cap and that’s probably why the Subban was a nonstarter.

Then there’s the Elephant in the room – Andrew Ference – triathalon!!At this point, no way he’s going on LTIR!That messes with the Cap in many ways as the Team is Cap tight with Bonus considerations.That might mean Jesse Puljujarvi gets sent down.If I’m correct, a Team must be Cap compliant at Season’s start, and then again at Season’s end, not having spent more than the Cap over the year. After Game 1 everything changes.

Ference will be on LTIR, don’t think that is really a question. I checked around a little and no one in my purview expects him to play this season.

5. jp says:

I think Gryba signing is basically guaranteed unless they can make a deal for a better RD by the end of camp.

6. jp says:

Any word on how much Rieder is asking for?

He could certainly play the Pisani role, but it sure doesn’t look like it will be a value deal.

7. Big Dan says:

How much is reider asking?

What if the oilers offered something like yak and Musil for him?

8. John Chambers says:

I think McDavid puts up 95 points in 75 games. He’ll make a 25 goal scorer out of Yakupov AND a 30-goal scorer out of Eberle. Yak will see a lot of 5×5 time and Ebs will be the top pp scorer in the league.

I also think we see a 40 pt defenseman and I think it’s Klefbom. My guess is that Larsson helps make Klef a bona fide #1 D and the hockey world will marvel at the Oilers young Swedish top-pair who are signed through eternity for under $8.3M!

9. Bank Shot says:

I highly doubt Rieder is back here. I don’t think the Oiler are that forgiving.

Also if the Oilers were offering Mike Richards a PTO as rumoured, wouldn’t it be done by now? Camp is opening in a little over a week, and I don;t think Mike Richards is wading through contract offers.

I think there are teams so close to the cap something could shake lose when all the remaining RFAs get signed.

Oilers could potentially grab a D-man from the Ducks, Lightning, Red Wings, or Coyotes.

10. Water Fire says:

There is a difference with Chia in charge in that he is true to form on acquisitions.

Does Rieder offer an improvement over Pulji? I doubt it even with 2 years experience , JP is from a different country! Really a different caliber of player. I doubt Tobias is better then a determined Yak (spare you the bad joke).

I can’t see any winger other than a tough gritty vet getting the call and I don’t think there are many around to get cheap. There is enough talent, need the Pisani’s but Fernando isn’t 185 lbs . Can’t see small role players coming in as vets, they’ll use what they have.

11. Shizuka says:

I don’t see Rieder wanting to come back to an organization that he and his camp felt did not have the room for him to play, presumably, top 6 minutes. Unfortunate what happened in his case, Kessy is seemingly in the wind and a washout while Rieder contributed meaningfully to the Coyotes last season. Pretty disappointing to see a mid round draft pick with some actual promise like this go elsewhere and find some success.

Still wondering at what will occur in the Trouba/Lindholm watches, too, as training camp draws nigh.

12. Centre of attention says:

Reider played on a line with Draisaitl during their Olympic qualifiers. Maybe a management shuffle and the opportunity to play with his fellow countryman changed he & his agents feelings about signing with the Oilers?

I would be fine with adding Reider, he can play either wing and it seems as though the Oilers will eventually trade one or both of Yak/Pouliot so depth on the wings is not a bad thing really.

Perhaps there is a fit.

13. Ryan says:

Big Dan:
    How much is reider asking?

What if the oilers offered something like yak and Musil for him?

No chance.

The optics of a lottery pick and high second for a player drafted in the 4rth an not signed by the same org just doesn’t work.

Also Chiapete is trying to maintain cap space for a dman.

14. Spydyr says:

” Laurent Brossoit, Brandon Davidson (on RH side) and Jesse Puljujarvi (2R) are all internal solutions who could (if able) make this roster hum without the need for an NHL addition.”

Yes, because relying on kids Brossoit and Puljujarvi and playing people out of position Davidson has worked so well for the Oilers during “the decade of despair.”

“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it”.

—George Santayana

15. Centre of attention says:

Also, a random thought I would like to share with the group:

The other week Friedman was talking about Peter Mueller making an NHL comeback at age 28. Big, fast & skilled winger who can play the powerplay hammer. It sounds like he is willing to take a PTO.

This made me think for a minute, didn’t Keith Gretzky help draft him in Arizona? That connection could still be there and now that Keith is our AGM suddenly Mueller comeback rumors pop up.

Something to think about, especially with a possible early fall Yak and/or Pouliot deal looming.

16. Richard S.S. says:

OK, thanks LT.

17. Ducey says:

Pisani is probably rolling over on his couch at the comparison to Tobias. They are not the same player. Pisano could play it any way you wanted. He could play plenty physical.

Looks to me that Rieder is having the same issues in ARI that he had here. He sees himself as top 6 and wants to be paid like it.

18. Centre of attention says:

Ryan: No chance.

Also Chiapete is trying to maintain cap space for a dman.

Chiarelli just traded Hall for Adam Larsson. Do you honestly think he gives a flying f**k about optics? 🙂

Moving out Yak & Musil would clear ~3 million in cap space, how much is Reider honestly going to sign for? 2.75M for 2 years? I can’t see him getting much more than that considering his career so far. He’s good, but not that good. A bridge makes sense here, have to think Reider is asking for term and I don’t blame the Coyotes for hesitating.

Reider for Yak would be a classic “problem for a problem” type move and I can see it being beneficial for both sides. Musil as a throw in is fine if they want to hand us a right-shot prospect of some description, otherwise one-for-one Yak for Reider makes more sense.

Just my opinion. I will also admit that I really like Reider as a player and it probably has an effect on my perception of value regarding a Yak for Reider deal.

Bank Shot:

20. Water Fire says:

godot10: Supposedly, Richards has multiple PTO offers, so he is waiting for somebody to break down and offer him an actual NHL contract.

Good point and in all the years loving hockey I have noticed that the people involved are quite fatalistic or believing in fortune.

“If it’s meant to be Richards will sign with us, so we wait”. Also getting feelings and making deals that are questionable depending on your point of view. I’m glad they have always got puck luck, it’s merciless for the uninitiated.

21. Pouzar says:

Not sure how legit but a man can hope.

Aivis Kalniņš ‏@A_Kalnins 4h4 hours ago
    Ziyat Paigin is out 2-3 weeks team says.

22. Klima's_Bucket says:

“In Hall’s case, a couple of Oilers believe the organization wanted to make it easier for McDavid’s influence to grow in the room. “Taylor’s a dominant personality,” one said. “That’s not a criticism. That’s who he is.””

Correct me if I’m wrong, but how in the fuck is Taylor’s dominant personality to blame for what Katz, Lowe, Howson, MacT and the rest of their cronies have drafted, developed, and procured over the past several years?

This team.

Oh, those Oilers.

23. rickithebear says:

I have it on good authority that Schnieder thought Adam Larsson was “THOR”
    “the god was the one who made goalies jobs the easiest”
    “what fool wouldn’t trade for a Scandinavian Hockey GOD”

Hall or Heaven!

Come on people!

24. judgedrude says:

Lowetide: He might be the Pisani.

This might have been mentioned in the past.

judgedrude:
    Rieder is the Pisani we have been looking for. But, who would have seen that coming:

“Voted second best penalty killer….in a coach’s poll”

25. Richard S.S. says:

If a Player has been acquired, drafted, signed, etc., by Peter Chiarelli he’s most likely to stay, Lauri Korpikosky was an exception.

For those acquired, drafted, signed, etc., by another GM, it’s different.
    If of value, traded for picks, Players or both, value going either way will vary. The exceptional stay.
    If not of enough value, contracts will likely expire. If very useful, might return.

Now we wait to see what’s next.

26. Ryan says:

Centre of attention: Chiarelli just traded Hall for Adam Larsson. Do you honestly think he gives a flying f**k about optics?

27. Water Fire says:

I just thought, if you bring in Versteeg, a failing NHL player to score and do PP, aren’t we thinking that is a bad idea on the farm? Why is it different for the long term interests of the NHL team with all these skill players that are already on the NHL team? When do they get the reps to learn?

28. Centre of attention says:

Ryan: if Chiapete trades Yak and Musil for Rieder, then I’ll pay for a crew to shovel Lowetide’s driveway this winter.

29. Chachi says:

This trade scenario would be more plausible if the Oilers had a player with an 8 million dollar cap hit who isn’t expected to ever play again to add to the trade. Unfortunately Ference doesn’t make enough money to trip Chayka’s genius tradeometer.

30. Ryan says:

Centre of attention: Not saying it’s gonna happen, but maybe there is a fit there. Just speculation is all.

Ask woodguy or Gmoney if they think my check would clear if it does. 🙂

31. Oilspill says:

I think he’s 20/80. As soon a Russell signs the floodgates for defensive guys opens.

jp:

32. Johnny says:

Ohhhh…..intellectual humility. Beautiful term. Unfortunately not on this site (not talking about our host).

I can barely visit this site these days because I feel I am in a room with the “smartest men in the room” who had been running the Oilers since ~2000. Thinking they were smarter than everyone else destroyed 10 years of Our hockey team.

Here we have people saying hockey Canada are idiots, a Stanley Cup winning GM is an idiot and of course qnyone else who disagrees with their viewpoint is an idiot. It’s hard to take.

And people are questioning getting rid of Hall for being an asshole. Him being an asshole is not the problem. Pronger was an asshole and an arrogant prick if you will. But teammates respected him. Maybe the same goes for Potvin ( before my time) . The problem with Hall is not that he is an “asshole”, it’s that he’s an entitled, whiny bitch who “like Subban, used to doing things his own way”. Source Freidman. And an asshole. This is not an endearing set of traits. Nor is it a formula for being a piece of a winning team.
    In junior, an individual can win games.

Is it okay to point out I have been saying this for months? I point it out because it feels nice letting KLowe, MacT et al know.

33. G Money says:

Do I hear this right? The Canucks may offer Korpse a PTO? And it would be a serious PTO, not training camp fodder, since Korpse is over at the World Cup.

Man, that would be so incredible. The Benning Show seems to be getting just better and better.

Ryan: Ask woodguy or Gmoney if they think my check would clear if it does.

I’m certain it would. And I have this odd feeling Ryan might actually enjoy it when it does.

34. Caramel Batman says:

Johnny:
    Ohhhh…..intellectual humility.Beautiful term. Unfortunately not on this site (not talking about our host).

I can barely visit this site these days because I feel I am in a room with the “smartest men in the room” who had been running the Oilers since ~2000.Thinking they were smarter than everyone else destroyed 10 years of Our hockey team.

Here we have people saying hockey Canada are idiots, aStanley Cup winning GM is an idiot and of course qnyone else who disagrees with their viewpoint is an idiot.It’s hard to take.

In junior, an individual can win games.

You can go ahead and fuck off with your character assassination bullshit. If this post is what humility looks like then it is a vice not a virtue.

It is a good thing for this site if you stay away.

35. Doug McLachlan says:

Lucic is a good distributor but doesn’t have the foot speed to keep up with McDavid.

Hard to break up Nuge and Ebs but Nuge is so close to our Krejci that pairing with Lucic seems right and Leon needs a trigger man/vet presence of the third line is to have a chance to thrive.

Pouliot – McDavid – Yakupov
    Lucic – Nuge – Pulijarvi
    Maroon – Draisitl – Eberle
    Hendricks – Letestu – Kassian
    Lander

36. G Money says:

Huh, interesting article:

The reason it’s interesting is that the startup I was running from 2010 to 2012 was partnered with Box, and we created a project concept (including mockup and prototype) running over top of Box, which we showed to their product managers and salespeople.

I may need to pull out some documentation to see how close they are conceptually … documentation that is stored, naturally, on Box.

37. Dixs35 says:

Alright I’ve only posted here occasionally but I’m fully on board with the wideman pickup if Calgary takes half the salary and it it costs less than a 4th. He fixes so many problems and it is only one year. he is a 3rd pair pp option it is to good to pass up. Regardless of the fancies. if you aren’t running him more than 18+a night he can help. Make it happen

38. Frank the dog says:

Caramel Batman: You can go ahead and fuck off with your character assassination bullshit.If this post is what humility looks like then it is a vice not a virtue.

It is a good thing for this site if you stay away.

It’s somewhat obvious that there was a significant factor that made Hall tradeable despite his well documented skill. The man makes a good point: There are lots of assholes in lots of dressing rooms on lots of high performing hockey teams.
    There is a way to manage strong personalities on any team in a way that they enhance the locker room chemistry. It’s obvious that Hall was severely mismanaged along with almost every other aspect of the team which is why the team never turned. But it’s ok for someone to make a suggestion that there is being a prick and there is enjoying the respect of the locker room, and the question is well asked.

39. Pouzar says:

Report: Bruins sign Peter Mueller to PTO

40. Pouzar says:

Renaud Lavoie (@renlavoietva)

Marc-André Bergeron will be at #bluejackets training camp on a tryout. He played the last in Switzerland. Great story. #tvasports

41. Pouzar says:

Jon Rosen (@lakingsinsider)

Setoguchi to attend #LAKings camp on PTO: lakingsinsider.com/2016/0…

42. magisterrex says:

Johnny:

Interesting viewpoint.

I agree on the site comments.

Don’t know Hall so can’t join in on that.
    In junior, an individual can win games.

43. magisterrex says:

It is a good thing for this site if you stay away.

Trolling, trolling, trolling…

Got to keep on trolling…

Trolling, trolling, trolling…

On Lowetide!

44. russ99 says:

Based on McLellan’s comments and Mike Richards looking to be invited to camp, I think we should pencil Draisaitl in at RW for now.

45. Water Fire says:

russ99:

I’m not sure why Richards would sign in Edmonton at this point. He doesn’t have long left, isn’t a workhorse anymore which is what the Oilers need. I think he’ll go somewhere warmer and a contender cheap.

46. Jethro Tull says:

It is a good thing for this site if you stay away.

Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it is thinking of yourself less. It is a spirit of self-examination; a hermeneutic of suspicion toward yourself and charity toward people you disagree with. Modest behavior, selflessness, and the giving of respect.

Think about that. Charity toward people you disagree with.

47. Oddspell says:

Water Fire,

If anyone can boost Richards’ value for his next contract, it’s McDavid.

48. Water Fire says:

Oddspell:
    Water Fire,

If anyone can boost Richards’ value for his next contract, it’s McDavid.

True

49. archie39 says:

Frank the dog,

I’ve thought about the Hall trade numerous times this summer as I was severely stunned and upset when it happened. Since then I’ve calmed down and come to embrace the trade. Here is what I have taken away from it all:

1. Maybe Hall was a royal arse. So be it. I’m sure there are numerous on other teams that have won (Patrick Kane..cough..cough). You don’t trade away a pt per game player because you can’t control him in the dressing room.

2. Trading chips going into the summer were the Steve Austin’s and 3rd overall. I have to assume Chia couldn’t get what he wanted for #3 and lucked out when JP fell into his lap therefore removing that trade chip.

3. Of the 3 Steve Austin’s, only 1 has fully lived up to the value of the contract. Nuge has huge potential but has already been plagued by numerous injuries. Eberle is a complimentary player and wouldn’t net you a return for the type of dman that Edmonton needed. That leaves Hall….. We can assume all day that his attitude was the reason he was traded, but the reality is as an opposing GM, he is the only one of the 3 that would warrant moving an upper tier dman or one with the potential that Larsson possesses.

Chia’s hands were tied and to continue on with all 3 of the Steve Austin’s would be insane.