PTO VERSTEEG

Peter Chiarelli did a good thing today, and it could be an important one, too. Edmonton’s needs up front involved finding a reasonable option for the Nuge line, and—if healthy—Kris Versteeg could be that player. The Pisani? Let’s just start with useful forward (if healthy!) and go from there.

KRIS VERSTEEG 15-16

• 5×5 points per 60: 1.60
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.23 (2-5-7 in 130 minutes)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 56.8
  • Qual Comp: second line
  • Qual Team: second line
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: 13.4
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 156 shots/9.6%
  • Boxcars: 77GP, 15-23-38
  • Information via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com, behindthenet.ca and hockey-reference.
  • Vollman is complicated because Versteeg played on two teams.
  1. What kind of a player is he? He is a rugged veteran with skill. Versteeg is not a big man, so the chances of playing at 38 are not high. Still, he can play against tough defenders and win battles, plus has enough skill to get into scoring zones and execute. His Corsi for Rel/team has him top 15F among those with 400+ minutes this past season. He can play up and down the lineup, provides depth in plenty of areas. A very nice player.
  2. Is this a good addition? Hell yes, especially at the price. We talked about Versteeg all spring and early summer, leading up to free agency.
  3. Is he the Pisani? No idea. I am excited to see him, but we shouldn’t get ahead of ourselves here. He is a possible fit, but this is a player who was recently released from a contract. The future could involve a failed physical and a see ya later.
  4. Who did he play with last season? Eric Staal—Elias Lindholm in Carolina and they were good together. In Los Angeles, he spent time with Anze Kopitar and Milan Lucic. It was good but in limited minutes.
  5. Who could he play with in Edmonton? My first reaction would be with Benoit Pouliot and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, a tougher minutes role.
  6. Second reaction? He would be a very good mentor for Leon in his first year away from Taylor Hall. That would be a Pisani role, as well.
  7. How should we view him? Probably best to put him in the Maroon—Kassian pile, a possibly useful winger with varying degrees of success and failure over an interesting career.
  8. Does Peter Chiarelli know him? Sure. He traded him in 2007 for Brandon Bochenski.
  9. When did he deliver enough offense to be considered a legit NHL prospect? At 20, in the AHL. His junior scoring numbers are pedestrian, but he was over a point-per-game in the AHL as a rookie. Interesting career spike.
  10. Did he come to the NHL right away? No sir. Versteeg was not a high pick—fifth round—so had to prove himself before entering thee show.
  11. Can he play a top 6F role? I think so, yes. The job on Nuge’s right wing will be a key two-way role on this club and for me he is a reasonable option—a great one, considering the month on the calendar in my kitchen.
  12. Can he play a bottom 6F role? Absolutely. I don’t see a downside to this deal, honestly. If he can pass the physical, there is no way on planet Earth he misses the roster. None.
  13. Can he penalty kill? He is more likely to make an appearance on the power play. Considering he is a right shot, that is an area we might be able to put him when discussing the coming season.
  14. Can he play center? He split 16 faceoffs a year ago. I would say strictly winger, but Craig MacTavish may pass him in the hallway and strike up a conversation.
  15. Can he play the point on the power play? Great question, I do not have the answer.
  16. Whose job is threatened by his addition? Hmm. Plenty. On RW, I would say Jordan Eberle on a skill line is a lock, and that Zack Kassian is going to be on the roster in a depth role. After that? I can see Versteeg winning the 2R role with Nuge and forcing Yakupov/Puljujarvi to fight it out for the Leon 3line RW job.
  17. What about Pakarinen? What about Pakarinen?
  18. Will this mean Yakupov is traded? Maybe. The Oilers may be receiving offers involving only draft picks, but could be holding out for a position player. If Versteeg covers the roster spot, that might open up trade options.
  19. Why did he choose Edmonton? How many times will I have to say McDavid before you believe me?
  20. How far are we from the balance photo? The defense needs a troubadour and the goaling needs a Jhonas.

78 Responses to "PTO VERSTEEG"

1. Woogie63 says:

Nice move, I would play KV with Driasaitl and help that young man become a better pro … while he kicks in 15 goals!

2. stevezie says:

I think this means Drai is a C.

I expect this means JP at least starts in the farm. Good. As wise people have pointed out, a hot camp means little. Let him establish a real resume on the farm (or a year in Finland even- though i doubt that.)

This is pure good.

3. fifthcartel says:

Versteeg played D for a while for Red Deer. Wow.

Kinda explains the low numbers that year.

4. Mr DeBakey says:

stevezie: I love Yak but Friar John is right, if he can’t beat a rookie or a pto, well what are you gonna do.

Meanwhile, the shine has been off Yak for some time.

To be even fairer, only an idiot would keep an 18-year-old on a NHL roster.

Mr DeBakey: Well, to be fair, when the Oilers Traintrust looks at Puljujarvi they gotta wear shades.
    Meanwhile, the shine has been off Yak for some time.

To be even fairer, only an idiot would keep an 18-year-old on a NHL roster.

Traintrust. Very good.

6. МАГИЯ 10 says:

fifthcartel:
    Versteeg played D for a while for Red Deer. Wow.

Kinda explains the low numbers that year.

And he’s a right hand shot. Lots of room here at RD if he doesn’t make it at RW. 😉

7. leadfarmer says:

Maybe the Braintrust is hoping for 3 scoring lines after all. You can get by with two during the regular season but you really need 3 in the playoffs. Guys like Hjalmarsson, Hedman, Doughty can saw off a top line and a half in the playoffs when they play almost 30 a night. Its important for the third line to put up good points against the second and third pairings especially at away games.

8. T0ML says:

So is this the first year we even have a chance in hell that LT gets to cross out “Get a Pisani Replacement” from the shopping list?

9. mujidog says:

Excellent move. He’s a swiss army knife. Let’s hope he’s healthy.

Best case: he helps us make the playoffs.
    Worst case: we trade him to the Blackhawks for a pick at the deadline #kiddingnotkidding.

10. Oilspill says:

mujidog,

Don’t think you can trade him unless he’s on a standard player contract.

11. jonrmcleod says:

So if Versteeg looks good and the Oilers sign him and Yak plays well in preseason and is traded for a RHD, is there balance?

Edit: I added “plays well in preseason” because I don’t think Yak has much trade value right now.

12. Oilspill says:

Wow is Canada soft around the net. An important skill that we need as well.

Is anyone tracking the minutes of these games?

14. digger50 says:

Great to hear this news. One down, one to go.

15. JOFA says:

Am I the only one here that thinks Thornton is a complete noodle? IMO there are certain numbers that should never be worn 99, 87, 66, and soon to be 97. I get the whole draft year thing, but that’s a no go zone. This is the last time you will ever see 97 worn again by someone other than “The One”. Book it.

16. Bank Shot says:

JOFA:

I think McDavid has a long, long way to go before anyone starts talking about him owning his number.

Also the pto to Versteeg is awesome. We have been waiting for an Oilers GM to pursue a veteran lineup for years. For all of his faults, Chiarelli recognizes the importance of vets.

17. PunjabiOil says:

What about Pakarinen? What about Pakarinen?

LOL. Always gives me a kick.

18. SkatinginSand says:

The Chicken Little’s appear to be swallowing their beaks right now. Chiarelli is not Stumbling Steve, afraid to make a move, nor is he MacTavish, lots of brave talk, lots of awful moves (well, okay Pete has a few bad ones, but on the whole, I would say he is ahead). An NHL GM job is not easy.

Is this enough to improve his interim report card mark from a provisional F?

Where are those loudly complaining that McLellan could only coach a heavy, chip and chase team? Or was that not him behind the Young Guns’ bench?

19. Westchester Oil says:

My Hawks friend tells me that Versteeg was not ‘heavy on his stick’, but I don’t see any real downside to adding him. I’m pleasantly surprised by his Corsi number last year. I’m also pleased that this will likely push Pakairainen out of our top 14 forwards.

Any guesses on what his cap hit would be if the Oilers sign him? 1 million? 1.2?

Sick burn.

МАГИЯ 10: Can he play the point on the power play? Great question, I do not have the answer.

He might be 2RD today.

22. hunter1909 says:

Yanks look better than I’ve ever seen before.

They’re certainly going to be contenders.

Go team NA!

: p

23. hunter1909 says:

Oh dear.

24. hunter1909 says:

No need for say, a player like Taylor Hall huh?

25. hunter1909 says:

I’ve never seen a Canadian team bullied before.

– Mark Messier fan-

26. OilSafety says:

Heard his interview on TSN 1260 on the way home from work. He said he played the point on the PP in Chicago and every other PP position.

Also said he is equally comfortable left or right wing.

Nice to have veteran experience and versatility.

No way to lose on this one.

27. RPG says:

I hate Kesler. I really do.

28. Water Fire says:

Suter and Kessler have lost any respect I had for them as hockey players. Absolutely classless risking others health in a friendly tournament with a slewfoot into the boards and a hit hard from behind. Scumbags IMO

29. RPG says:

i can’t believe how slow Weber looks. That contract will haunt the Habs for a very very long time.

30. hunter1909 says:

Water Fire:
    Suter and Kessler have lost any respect I had for them as hockey players. Absolutely classless risking others health in a friendly tournament with a slewfoot into the boards and a hit hard from behind.Scumbags IMO

My advice to the Canadians: Suck it up.

RPG:
    I hate Kesler. I really do.

When he got traded to the Ducks, he gave them a complete set.

RPG:
    I hate Kesler. I really do.

“Blame me not,” said the scorpion, in a supplicatory tone, “it is not my fault; it is that of my nature; it is a constitutional habit I have of stinging.”

33. Fog of Warts says:

Science Curiosity and Political Information Processing

The problem with this paper is that it doesn’t separate personal investment from the risk levels assessed. A person with a high scientific curiosity score (SCS) probably invests more mojo in obtaining information, making the information more personally salient, and the putative “risk” scores could in fact be masquerading as salience proxies. Stopped reading after twenty odd pages, perhaps the authors comment on this belatedly.

There’s much prior evidence that arousal level infiltrates a thousand proxies. On the literary side of the fence, I’ve seen it suggested more than once or twice that death supercharges libido (in particular, near escape from). My how easily psychometrics degenerates into bonermetrics in the wrong hands. Just imagine the lump in your pants on contemplating Total Human Annihilation Theory.

———

How to suck the air from the room.

Person #1: Did you know, there’s already been 40 extreme weather events in North America this year?

Person #2: Wow.

Person #3: So, what to you suppose the base rate is for extreme weather events in North America in any recent year not affected by AGW?

Crickets.

34. Oilspill says:

SkatinginSand:
    The Chicken Little’s appear to be swallowing their beaks right now.Chiarelli is not Stumbling Steve, afraid to make a move, nor is he MacTavish, lots of brave talk, lots of awful moves (well, okay Pete has a few bad ones, but on the whole, I would say he is ahead).An NHL GM job is not easy.

Is this enough to improve his interim report card mark from a provisional F?

35. hunter1909 says:

Entitled hockey by Canada so far:

“Oh, haven’t you heard? We’re the best”.

Those Yankees ain’t buying it.

Fog of Warts:

Is the answer Jesus?

37. hunter1909 says:

Fog of Warts,

I’ll bet you’re a riot at parties.

38. Pouzar says:

“we talkin PRACtice……..not da game…..not da game….PRACtice”.

39. hunter1909 says:

Oilspill: Anybody who gives Chia a provisional F must know diddly about hockey and the balance needed to be competitive.

If they had added a decent puck moving defenceman your argument would be irrefutable. As things stand it’s “lets hope Klefbom doesn’t fall apart” which imo is effing crazy.

40. Mr DeBakey says:

You’ll be ecstatic to know that nobody has.
    Of course anyone who might would know diddly compared to you.

41. G Money says:

Man, this is the kind of Grade A dumb shit that gives statsy types a bad rep.

Versteeg would immediately become the team's second best player. https://t.co/E00Ber15al— Sean Tierney (@SeanTierneyTss) 9 September 2016

@SeanTierneyTss @CorsiGuy WTH? Second best? Lucic, Pouliot, Eberle, RNH, Draisaitl, Klef, Sekera. Minimum.— Oilers Nerd Alert (@OilersNerdAlert) 9 September 2016

@OilersNerdAlert @SeanTierneyTss Versteeg is probably better than Lucic, Pouliot and Nuge.— Chris Thomas (@CorsiGuy) 9 September 2016

@CorsiGuy @SeanTierneyTss Nuge 23y .71 ppg career, .62 season. Lucic 28y .61c .68s. Poo 28y .48c .65s. Versteeg 30y 0.57c .49s. *maybe* Poo— Oilers Nerd Alert (@OilersNerdAlert) 10 September 2016

@OilersNerdAlert @SeanTierneyTss Points per game aren't a very good way of analyzing players. shots metrics are more important.— Chris Thomas (@CorsiGuy) 10 September 2016

@CorsiGuy @SeanTierneyTss Not a chance. Boxcars are the starting point. Shot metrics are complementary to that. "Corsi guy" indeed!— Oilers Nerd Alert (@OilersNerdAlert) 10 September 2016

42. Lackadaisical says:

Oilspill:

Whatever happened to just saying “I disagree”.

You grade a finished product, if you don’t finish the work an F is automatic.

43. SkatinginSand says:

Oilspill:

Although I often disagree with conclusions of the kind host of this site, I have a great deal of respect for his knowledge and views on hockey.

44. G Money says:

Here’s the rest of my replies, BTW:

@CorsiGuy Top 5 players by pts: Kane, Benn, Crosby, Karlsson, Thornton.Top 5 players by EV CF%: Shore, Lucic, Toffoli, Doughty, Pouliot…— Oilers Nerd Alert (@OilersNerdAlert) 10 September 2016

@CorsiGuy Top 5 players by EVCFRel: Niederreiter, Bergeron, Marchand, Brendan Smith, Matheiu Perreault.Complementary.— Oilers Nerd Alert (@OilersNerdAlert) 10 September 2016

Q.E.D.

45. jm363561 says:

Not knowing too much about KV I am pleased because everyone else seems to be (and because PC justified my belief that a Cup winning GM can be trusted more than we blog posters to make the right moves). However, if KV is so good why is he unsigned in mid – September and coming here on a PTO – McDavid? I doubt he was fighting off offers in July and August in the hope the Oilers might contact him. This does not seem to fit the profile of a Top 6 guy, more a placeholder for JP.

I agree we seem to be looking at Drai at centre and hoping for Yak to click with McD and Looch (and I think if referees can stop assaulting Nail there is a good chance this will work out). Now Pete, make our day and bring on the extra RHD.

jm363561:
    Not knowing too much about KV I am pleased because everyone else seems to be (and because PC justified my belief that a Cup winning GM can be trusted more than blog posters to make the right moves). However, if KV is so good why is he unsigned in mid – September and coming here on a PTO – McDavid? I doubt he was fighting off offers in July and August in the hope the Oilers might contact him. This does not seem to fit the profile of a Top 6 guy, more a placeholder for JP.

He signed in the Swiss league in July, but was recently released.

47. kinger_OIL says:

– I don’t get Versteeg. I just assumed he was available because he is no good anymore:
    1) Last year he made $4.4MM
    2) He was UFA, and not one team offered him a contract that he accepted (and I can’t hear any chatter of a team actually offering him a contract)
    3) No canadian bona-fide NHL’r chooses to play overseas, ever, unless they are done here
    4) He definately didn’t suck last year
    5) Maybe he and his agent are dumb and over played their hand
    6) Maybe he really did fail his medical and he’s busted
    7) Maybe we will look back and say we were really lucky to get a Peca type player….

– I just don’t get it. Good organizations pick up players like this and they sometimes work.

48. frjohnk says:

G Money:
    Here’s the rest of my replies, BTW:

Q.E.D.

Instead of watching the games, you should be like us and look at spreadsheets if you really want to find out who are the best players.

Some people here.

Sheesh.

kinger_OIL:
    – I don’t get Versteeg.I just assumed he was available because he is no good anymore:
    1) Last year he made $4.4MM
    4) He definately didn’t suck last year
    5) Maybe he and his agent are dumb and over played their hand
    6) Maybe he really did fail his medical and he’s busted

– I just don’t get it.Good organizations pick up players like this and they sometimes work.

Every year these guys sign late because teams have run out of spots/money. There is no mystery here, McDavid gives Edmonton more muscle in these kinds of things. Two summers ago, this guy signs in Phoenix.

50. jm363561 says:

From Hockeyfeed.

We have some conflicting reports regarding the strange circumstances surrounding National Hockey League veteran Kris Versteeg, and his return to North America despite signing a contract overseas this summer.

Yesterday we reported that an insurance complication had resulted in Versteeg’s deal with Bern of the Swiss League falling through, but now there is a different story coming out of Europe, one that is far more troubling for Versteeg and teams interested in signing him.

According to a report from media outlet NZZ the reason was not due to an insurance complication, but rather a result of Versteeg failing to pass the medical exam, something that would obviously be very interesting to NHL teams who are targeting the veteran forward.

51. jm363561 says:

Lowetide: He signed in the Swiss league in July, but was recently released.

Thanks, our postings crossed. Now you can see why it is a PTO.

52. kinger_OIL says:

– yes but he actually signed overseas. Then the contract was rescinded. I get he’s played for 6 teams in 6 years, and when he was with the Leafs (so I got to see him play a lot, he wasn’t bad, wasn’t good. He’s clearly useful enough to not suck: he’s not a typical PTO.

– This link is in french, but the money quote is: “En raison du secret professionnel”. So basically they protected the nature of his injury out of professional courtesy (i.e. “maybe he can fool someone else, but he didn’t pass our medical evaluation”

– My instinct says he’s done, but prepared to be pleasantly surprised: there is no downside.

jm363561: Thanks, our postings crossed. Now you can see why it is a PTO.

54. G Money says:

frjohnk,

Oh you damn nerds!!!

55. G Money says:

Let’s hope the issue is insurance and not actual health (as I noted in an earlier post, the surgically repaired knee would be my particular concern).

The good part is that with so many regulars playing in the World Cup, it costs literally nothing to bring him to training camp and find out for sure.

If he’s healthy, he’s going to help.

In fact, I have it on good authority he’ll be the second best player on the team!

56. dustrock says:

LT take this for what it’s worth but good friend’s cousin actually met Versteeg at Swiss airport today. Asked him about PTO, said he’s from Lethbridge and wanted Edmonton or Calgary.

57. DRFNsuperstar says:

“Damn those Americans bullied the Canadiens” Canada doubled their shots…I’d hate to see the Corsi’s. Don’t we know people hit when they don’t have the puck? Canada treated this like a scrimmage and USA wanted blood for their God Torts. Weber was one more dirty hit away from breaking someone’s leg. Sweden-Canada final for sure, the US didn’t get any shots in the 3rd! US played Dubinsky while Canada had enough skill to sit Perry…

58. kinger_OIL says:

Lowetide: Yeah, as I said, if he passes the physical this is a terrific deal. Even without that factor I believe it was a good move by PC.

– Yes you did say if he passes the physical. That’s fair. But it’s not a lock and load “pass”

59. frjohnk says:

PTO for Versteeg is great on many fronts.

-if the reason his contract was declined in Europe was because of his health and he shows nothing, then we cut him and there is no loss.

-if he pans out he could be a good middle six option who can fill in at times in the first line AND not look out of place incase of slumps, injuries. This also means less probability that guys like Pak or Pitlick will bat at the top of the order.

-if he pans out, the contract will be cheap.

-if he pans out, we might be able to get a pick for him at the deadline. Recoup of the 2nd rounder we have to give to Boston?

-and if we were to make the playoffs, this is a nice experienced depth player to have.

I sure hope he is healthy.

60. G Money says:

kinger_OIL: I get he’s played for 6 teams in 6 years

The funniest thing about Versteeg’s career is that he started with the Hawks, and won a Stanley Cup with them. Then they traded him and he floated around a few other teams.

Then he ended up back with the Hawks and won *another* Cup with them.

Now he’s floating around again.

I wonder how much of his floating stems from that ‘clerical error’ of the Hawks that left Versteeg and a few others UFA instead of RFA when their ELCs expired.

61. Mr DeBakey says:

DRFNsuperstar:

A warm-up game for an Exhibition Tournament.
    Lets put the sharp objects down for now fellow citizens.

62. Eastern Oil says:

Mr DeBakey,

I was happy to watch hockey again but thought the game was a little off. To be expected as you mention with guys gearing up.

What really annoyed was Galley talking about the grit and physicality of the Americans over and over again. We literally have some of the best and most exciting players playing together, let’s talk about and celebrate the skill.

Sportsnet really tried to sell the intensity too.

Sorry to use your comment as a rant launching point!

63. Water Fire says:

hunter1909: American hockey players hate the Canadians, and are rapidly approaching their level of play. There are no friendly games in their opinion.

My advice to the Canadians: Suck it up.

By your argument then, I’d like to see an American player in his prime issued a permanent back injury, to start reparations for Suter scumbag #1 cross check into the boards that herniated a disk in Gretzky’s back.

Is this how it works Hunter?

I’ve always thought simply calling the rules and suspending players with clinical psychopathic traits an easier and more socially advanced way to approach it. And the whole ‘sports is better when the best players are able to play because they haven’t been attacked’ thingy.

This is one area where greed doesn’t seem to rule – having the talent healthy is indisputably better for revenue. Bloodlust be weird.

64. DRFNsuperstar says:

Mr DeBakey: A warm-up game for an Exhibition Tournament.
    Lets put the sharp objects down for now fellow citizens.

I’m better now, I think it was the long break from watching games and my low expectations for player effort at the tournament.

65. rickithebear says:

Lowetide: Is the answer Jesus?

Jesus ; Mohamed; Mosses are all UPS trucks drivers.
    Men who deliver the product.
    They are not the product.

Can Versteeg deliver the product?

First 4 full seasons
    77gm 21.5G 27.5A 49PP 2.22 SH/gm 12.6 Shooting %
    last 3 seasons:
    73gm 14G 22A 36P 2.05 SH/gm 9.2 Shooting%

66. G Money says:

Wasn’t that also Price’s first game back since the injury?

67. Eastern Oil says:

G Money,

Yep. Fought the puck a bit but that’s to be expected.

I thought that Pietangelo fought the puck too. Skated well but threw some grenades.

It’s fun to watch these players shake the rust off and start to click though. Other than McDavid, he’s too fast to collect rust.

68. G Money says:

Eastern Oil,

Actually, I’m pretty sure that *was* the rusty McDavid.

Probably take him another game or two to shake it off and start to show his game speed.

Until then, we’ll just have to settle for McDavid’s first gear!

69. omega4 says:

Versteeg was on the radio with Reed and said that a part of the reason he’s coming to Edmonton is his friendship with Davidson and Lucic.
    He also said that he is 100%. The reason the deal fell through is that the team wanted him to pay for his insurance. He didn’t say how much the insurance was, but it was the deal breaker for him.

70. Eastern Oil says:

G Money,

Than I shall pour a bit of my scotch out as a sacrifice to the hockey gords for our fantastic dumb luck once again.

(and ensure I pour it out into another glass as I’m not wasting scotch)

71. G Money says:

Eastern Oil,

I don’t care how old you are, you are wise far beyond your years!

72. fifthcartel says:

Versteeg is 100% healthy. The Swiss team wouldn’t insure him because of his hip surgery years ago, so he obviously wasn’t going to play uninsured.

I think he makes it pretty easily.

73. Gerta Rauss says:

omega4:

Great news all around

Now if they can get another D we’re on our way

74. MrEd says:

If he makes it…. how much is he going to want to make?

75. OF17 says:

MrEd:
    If he makes it…. how much is he going to want to make?

Not sure. I’d guess $1.5-2 million though.

76. maxwell_mischief says:

I’ve been against the Versteeg idea
    but…
    like…
    sweet!
    no risk PTO
    and really gives the other dudes on the right side a push

Eastern Oil:
    G Money,

(and ensure I pour it out into another glass as I’m not wasting scotch)

Sage.

78. jonrmcleod says:

rickithebear: Jesus ; Mohamed; Mosses are all UPS trucks drivers.
    Men who deliver the product.
    They are not the product.

Traditional Christian theology disagrees with your description of Jesus. He’s “the product” who became a man to “deliver” to us himself. *steps away from the pulpit*