RIGHT WING POLITICS

Peter Chiarelli is doing a fine job of adding veteran depth wingers since his arrival. Patrick Maroon, Zack Kassian and now Kris Versteeg (if he makes it) give the Oilers an established look we haven’t seen in a decade. As a matter of fact, the addition of Versteeg could mean the Oilers run with a fairly veteran group up front.

POSSIBLE OPENING NIGHT LINEUP

oilers-opening-night-with-versteeg

I like this lineup a lot. Veterans up and down the wings, and a pretty inviting spot for Nail Yakupov. Jesse Puljujarvi can still push his way into the lineup but it would be very difficult—and that is a good thing. Additionally, adding Versteeg (and Gryba, as I have here) give the Oilers a veteran look we haven’t seen here in a long time (for proof, have a look at the opening night lineups since 2005). Versteeg can help on the power play, too.

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

vollman-oilers

Rob Vollman (whose book is ready, I will have him on the Lowdown Thursday for a two-hour launch!) provided me with a three-year photo of the Oilers (and new hires). As you can see, Kris Versteeg has been playing in a good offensive spot, and has provided excellent possession and reasonable results. I would describe him as an effective complementary forward—and getting him on a PTO was a fantastic get. If he passes the physical, suspect Edmonton signs him. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find out the range of a contract have already been discussed.

RIGHT WING A LOCK?

1. R Jordan Eberle—100 percent he makes the team, better chance now he stays with McDavid.
  2. R Zack Kassian—100 percent chance he makes the team, his utility makes him quite valuable.
  3. R Nail Yakupov—80 percent chance he makes the team, down from 90.
  4. R Kris Versteeg—80 percent chance he makes the team. If he passes the physical, imo he makes the team.
  5. R Jesse Puljujarvi—50 percent he makes the team, down from 90.
  6. R Iiro Pakarinen—60 percent he makes the team, down from 90.
  7. R Taylor Beck, 25. 12 percent he makes the team. Interesting addition.
  8. R Tyler Pitlick, 24. 4 percent chance
  9. R Anton Slepyshev, 22. 4 percent chance.

Both Finns are going to be on the bubble in training camp, in my opinion. Agree? The only men who are locks on the right side from my pov? Eberle and Kassian. We should talk about Versteeg’s addition and its impact on Nail Yakupov, a subject I broached here.

82 Responses to "RIGHT WING POLITICS"

1. dustrock says:

If you keep using the pic of rapping Versteeg forever, I won’t be disappointed.

dustrock:
    If you keep using the pic of rapping Versteeg forever, I won’t be disappointed.

I looked around, but it is just so good.

3. fifthcartel says:

That forward group really doesn’t look too bad with Versteeg on RW. Very little playing above their established NHL ability, if any really?

The defense is still a work in progress but I think there’s a decent chance a Franson gets added before the season starts.

4. Mr DeBakey says:

Lowetide: I looked around, but it is just so good.

When I first opened the site this morning I thought “Hmmm, someone slept in”

5. Yak Efron says:

Heard him mention in an interview yesterday he spent a lot of time at LW with Chicago.

6. Klima's_Bucket says:

If Versteeg shows he is healthy enough to go, it would be so Oilers to:

a) Trade Eberle in a package to ANA for Vatanen
    b) Trade Yakupov for Cody Franson
    c) Stand pat and not address the RD issue
    d) Choose your own adventure _________________

7. Gret99zky says:

Fill the RD/PPRD hole.

It’s the right thing to do. I doubt they do it.™

8. Ryan says:

Is there an error with the Vollman or did Shawshank Beck really play the most toi/60 while getting worse zone starts than Larsson?

9. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Honestly if you move Davidson to the left side, use Gryba in the 3RD position, send Nurse to AHL and have Oesterle in the 7 spot then I’m happy with the lineup. I’m even happier if the 3RD spot is Nakladal as I would prefer a right side puck mover to diversify from the Fayne/Larsson skill set.

10. GCW_69 says:

If Versteeg is healthy, I think he makes the team if he has any chemistry with one of the centres.

If he does, that sets up a showdown between Yak and JP. My assumption is they will be running McDavid, Nuge, and Leon down the middle. My money is on Yak, but if he can’t beat out JP for a job with any of those centres he probably doesn’t deserve one.

11. Richard S.S. says:

I have lived in Lethbridge, basically forever. The Rocky Mountains/B.C., the Saskatchewan and US Borders are really close. The Weather is much, much better here. The Economy is Agriculture-based and does well even when wobbly Oil tanks. I know Oiler fans, Canuck Fans, Hockey Fans but fortunately no Flames fans. So I consider myself very fortunate.

If Kris Versteeg fails to make the Team, Lowetide has already discussed the Oilers options in numerous prior articles. If he makes the Team, he’s a smurf, how long until he gets hurt? They really only need him until Jesse Puljujarvi is ready. I think it’s not whether he passes the physical, but whether he’s healthy enough to play until J.P. is ready

Ryan:

Beck played some damned tough minutes.

13. dustrock says:

Not trying to be snarky but I think it’s funny how people expect we’ll drop Versteeg as soon as possible when Jarvi is ready for prime time duty.

If you want a sniff of the playoffs, you don’t discard guys like him. Sure he can move down the lineup, but playoff teams tend to have veteran depth for a reason.

14. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

dustrock,

Yup

15. J-Bo says:

From the Stauffer talk lately about having 3 right shots on the PP, I suspect they might still be planning on keeping Jesse P from the get go. I agree we will also see another rhd. Maybe it is Gryba, but I think they will bring in Wideman or Franson. Salary wise if they do that I think Yakupov goes.

16. Ryan says:

Lowetide: Beck played some damned tough minutes.

Something’s wonky with the bubble sizes.

Bubble size usually represents Toi/60.

For the Vollman chart in this post, it has to represent something else.

I.e. Nuge, Larsson and Sekera appear to have smaller bubbles than Beck, Hendricks, and Fraser.

17. J-Bo says:

How does this look:

Lucic – Mcdavid – Ebs
    Pouliot – Nuge – Versteeg
    Maroon – Drai – Puljujarvi
    Hendricks – Letestu – Kassian
    Lander – Khaira

Klef – Larsson
    Sekera – Davidson
    Nurse – Franson
    Fayne

18. Yeti says:

J-Bo: How does this look:

It looks like you spelt Yakupov wrong.
    Just joking, but if they didn’t deal him at the draft, I can’t see why they’d get a better deal now. I’d be shocked if he isn’t on the roster for game 1 with a season to prove himself to either the Oil or another team.

19. Ducey says:

People here are using the word “if” a lot but then assuming Versteeg will be some help.

He has physical problems or he would be playing in Switzerland. He has a lot miles on the odometer. And he has to show he can still be useful.

The odds of him being any more useful than Taylor Beck? 40%

20. digger50 says:

I am curious to see how Kassian makes out. Everybody has him in at fourth line wing and maybe that’s where he ends up, but I have a feeling he has other ideas.

21. lynn says:

J-Bo:
    How does this look:

Lucic – Mcdavid – Ebs
    Pouliot – Nuge – Versteeg
    Maroon – Drai – Puljujarvi
    Hendricks – Letestu – Kassian
    Lander – Khaira

Klef – Larsson
    Sekera – Davidson
    Nurse – Franson
    Fayne

I like Jujhar Khaira as a prospect, but if he is the thirteenth or fourteenth forward at the end training camp, I think he will start the season ln the AHL. I can see Khaira becoming a regular on the fourth line, either at LW or centre, before the end of the season, though.

Pakarinen, with his one-way contract, is more likely to start the season in the pressbox.

22. Water Fire says:

It may not be only Yak that is in danger if Versteeg plays well. Eberle’s a far better player, but not any bigger and not as gritty, and neither seem to like the 200 ft. If a bigger deal is coming I doubt it’s Yak that gets it done, more like Klefbom, Nurse, Nuge or Eberle.

If you can sign a UFA to replace a high cost contract, and trade that contract to fill a hole with quality, it is like turning one player into 2 because of how much the cap affects everything.

23. stush18 says:

Ducey:

The odds of him being any more useful than Taylor Beck? 40%

While I agree everyone he is completely discounting beck, I think versteeg still makes the team.

He said the problem in Switzerland was that they wanted him to pay his own insurance. He said that was a no go, and he wasn’t playing without insurance.

I’d be more worried about his conditioning. He chose to go to Switzerland this summer. To me that speaks of him losing his competitive edge. I’d be surprised he trained as hard thinking he was going to be playing hockey in Europe.

24. kinger_OIL says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    If Versteeg shows he is healthy enough to go, it would be so Oilers to:

a) Trade Eberle in a package to ANA for Vatanen
    b) Trade Yakupov for Cody Franson
    c) Stand pat and not address the RD issue
    d) Choose your own adventure _________________

– Agree it would be so Oilers, however I’ve said it before: By far the greatest contribution Lucic brings is “protection”, “mentorship” and “heavy” to their most important player (while still in prime).

– Hall, who didn’t play much on a line with McD, brought none of this to him anyway. The OBC they just put the kids out there and ran with them. This is a big change Chia has done

– Versteeg: he’s the same thing. IF he is healthy, and he blocks pool-party: this is something that the OBC never did for any of their kids. This is a big change

– Heck even Gryba, if he blocks one/both of Nurse and Griff for a bit, this is a big change. IF they can get another D before the season starts to block, Chia has really accomplished a massive philisohical change to organization. Last year he sent Nurse and Drai to the farm (but didn’t have the horses to keep them down there, and Drai came back actually ready: quel surprise!).

25. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

kinger_OIL,

This is gold right here and I couldn’t agree more. Forcing guys to make a case for a position rather than gift it to them? Having spare parts that can actually fill a gap when injuries occur? These are very novel concepts in Oiler land. I’m still slightly suspect (as only an Oiler fan can be) that something is going to go wrong but for once I’m not having to talk myself into being just a little bit optimistic.

Also, heading to the Canada-USA game in Ottawa tonight. Kesler is a goof, I expect a good game out there tonight. Will definitely be the most talent I’ve ever seen hit the ice in a single shot thats for sure.

26. kinger_OIL says:

stush18,

– Conditioning is a solid point: but he does have a month. No Canadian bonafide NHL’r chooses to go overseas unless they can’t get a job in the NHL.

– History shows the odds are really stacked against a PTO making it (so don’t go show me the last 6 that did, becasue its about a 1:50 ratio), and they generally don’t last even if they make it.

– That’s because collectively, the NHL isa pretty good evaluator of hockey players

27. leadfarmer says:

Sometimes the guarantee of a contract is better than having to try out for a job. I don’t see anything wrong with him taking a job in Switzerland to show he is healthy for a year. I can’t find the details of the money involved but having to insure his salary probably took away some of the incentive to play in Swiss league.

I wonder if we see PC continue to pursue Richards on a PTO? Edmonton needed a center IF Leon was playing RW, seems there is less pressure now. That said, it would be nice to have added options. I dont think Richards is a suitable 3C anyway, but that aside the point remains.

29. Gret99zky says:

#WorldCupOfHockey

With the pace and grind out there, somebody is going to be out for the start of the regular season. Pour out some scotch that it’s not an Oiler.

30. Gret99zky says:

Do they have enough cap space for Versteeg AND Richards?

31. voxwah says:

There was an interview with Versteeg yesterday where he talked about the Swiss thing.

He’s not injured but because of his knee injury he had in the past his insurance to play in Swiss was high and the team wanted him to pay for it. He said that was a non starter and it killed the deal.

He said he’s 100%. The Swiss deal didn’t fall apart because of an actual injury.

The PTO is fantaqstic news. 🙂

32. leadfarmer says:

So when the Oil need a goalie halfway through the season who do they target? How much would it cost to get Bishop or Vasilevski since one of them will be moved before the expansion draft. I’m guessing a lot still since Dallas hasn’t acquired one. Howard would be cheap cost wise but expensive money wise. One of Dallas goalies maybe. Not a lot to choose from.

33. BONVIE says:

digger50:

I am with you here I think he will be on the second line or possibly the 3rd line. After seeing his physical transformation in the offseason I can hardly wait to see what the on ice product is like. I think a lot of people forget that 4 or 5 years ago everyone thought this guy was the next Lucic. He is only 25 now and until the off ice issues derailed his career he was progressing nicely as a top 6 forward. I had him as the clear 2nd best right wing on the team before the Versteeg signing, now it will be close depending how both look in camp.

34. Richard S.S. says:

Doesn’t the Centre signed to a PTO only have to be better than Anton Lander and possibly Mark Letestu?

35. J-Bo says:

Yeti,

Haha. I generally agree with you, there has just been a lot of talk about 3 right shots on the pp and Yakupov doesn’t help with that. If they really want that they need Puljujarvi and Franson/Wideman on the team.

36. HT Joe says:

Lowetide: I looked around, but it is just so good.

What about this one: http://www.starrcards.com/wp-content/uploads/blackhawks-kris-versteeg-headlines-choreographed-dance-at-devin-setoguchis-wedding-reception.jpg
    (I think he’s 2nd from the front)

I can just imagine it with LT’s radio voice “This is Kris Versteeg…”

37. leadfarmer says:

Richard S.S.:

Yeah the competition for the bottom of the roster is good cause if you can’t beat out Lander or Pakarainen for a job you don’t deserve to be in the NHL. And those guys themselves aren’t good enough themselves to have a job. If we can start the season with Kassian on the fourth line cause eberle, Yak, and Versteeg are ready to rock I’ll be very happy. That would mean Puljujarvi is hopefully in Europe not collecting his ELC and the roster does not have a player that has not at least played in the NHL before. When is the last time the Oil could claim that.

38. Johnny Larue says:

Well it seems that all the PC haters have gone underground . All the talk about what a crappie GM he was etc. has gone quiet. How about we wait to see the final roster as the season begins because I think there’s more to come. Before the season starts I see more quality players shaking loose due to cap issues PC has a plan and he is sticking to it. I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised by the lineup when the season begins . Then we can start doling out grades as for now as my Dad used to say it is time to hold your horses.

Klima’s_Bucket:
    If Versteeg shows he is healthy enough to go, it would be so Oilers to:

a) Trade Eberle in a package to ANA for Vatanen
    b) Trade Yakupov for Cody Franson
    c) Stand pat and not address the RD issue
    d) Choose your own adventure _________________

Trading Yakupov for Mark Streit (some salary retained) and Sanheim would be better. #FransonSucks

Anaheim needs a left wing, not a right wing.

40. Yeti says:

Johnny Larue: as my Dad used to say it is time to hold your horses

Mine used to tell me to placate my ponies, but he was just weird.

Versteeg’s PTO signals to Mike Richards, that if he is waiting for Chiarellit to move from a PTO to a contract before camp, Chiarelli isn’t moving. Richards is still probably welcome on a PTO.

Johnny Larue:

43. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

godot10,

I don’t think they would do Yak for Sanheim straight up to be honest.

44. fifthcartel says:

I don’t think Richards brings any real value to an NHL team anymore.

45. stush18 says:

godot10: Trading Yakupov for Mark Streit (some salary retained) and Sanheim would be better.#FransonSucks

Anaheim needs a left wing, not a right wing.

Gotta agree with cash, that deal is wildly in our favour. I’d love to pick up sanheim even if he is a lefty again

46. lynn says:

Lowetide: He needed to make this move and needs to add a defenseman. We will see about the goalie but no matter what happens during the season it was clear to most of us PC could not enter camp with such lack of balance in the same season he traded Hall. I respect him for doing it, and hope he continues to look for innovative solutions to clear roster issues.

I’m happy that there is time to make more moves. Hall’s departure will have his fans decrying it to the end of time.

Chiarelli is starting to form an actual NHL roster; veterans dominant. Chiarelli begins the season in a new arena. Making the playoffs will save his job. Count on more changes.

47. MrEd says:

“If he passes the physical, suspect Edmonton signs him. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to find out the range of a contract have already been discussed.”
    I agree. Money and term probably.

48. smellyglove says:

Sorry guys, but penciling Versteeg onto the 2nd line is a bit of an ask. He’s on a PTO and assumedly had a number of NHL clubs pass on him.

If true about him not wanting to pay Swiss league insurance premiums, I don’t buy it. How much could they be? He’s trading a probably very nice salary and guaranteed spot on a pro roster for a 1/5 shot for the Oilers roster with most likely league minimum pay. I really hope he turns out to be a top 9 option with PP acumen, but remain bearish.

49. MrEd says:

Pacioretty LW
    Pavelski C
    Perry RW
    Seguin C
    Toews C
    Wheeler RW
    Vatanen Is a 3rd comp Dman.
    Ebs is a PvP forward.

Ebs goes it is for Lindholm!
    But Sekera would have to be traded.

51. mit167 says:

So Tyler Beck is a 12% to play on the Oilers even though he has played over 80 NHL games on teams that would be harder to make than the Oilers. He has 23 pts in 83 games which is dozen or so more than Iiro, which begs the question…

Why do you hate Taylor Beck

52. Centre of attention says:

smellyglove:

What actually happened was the Swiss insurance company looked at his medical records and rejected him due to past knee/hip surgery. Well they didn’t fully reject him, just refused to fully cover him, and Kris said on radio here he didn’t want to take that risk so he came back to North America.

He passed on a number of NHL clubs to come here. He said he had multiple PTO offers and it was his choice. He talked with his agent and while looking at rosters he liked the look of our 3 centers (one of them McDavid) so figured he would have a good shot to play on a skill line whether thats #1 or #3 doesn’t matter to Versteeg. He’s been everywhere man.

Hell, if Maroon is slumping and Pouliot is hurt again, Versteeg could slide over to LW with no issues what so ever. He played tons of LW in his career, especially in Chicago. A very “swiss-army knife” type player who’s not excellent at one thing but does a lot of different things well.

This is all assuming of course good health, but if he plays 65 games, 15 goals and 35 points isn’t out of the question. On top of the decent production, he won’t give up more than he gets and will actually help any of the 3 centers he plays with. He has done that as recently as last year with LA/Carolina. Very excited that he may potentially be a healthy Oiler. *crosses fingers*

*edit* Here is the interview as a source for my quotes http://www.tsn.ca/radio/edmonton-1260/shows/vertsteeg-looking-forward-to-opportunity-in-edmonton-1.564244

53. commonfan14 says:

Big picture of Nurse on the wall at Rogers Place.

I’d say it’s highly unlikely he’s not on the opening night roster.

54. Richard S.S. says:

I expect Versteeg not wanting to pay his own insurance is more about setting precedence than cost. It’s a lot easier to ask all foreign players to pay their own insurance when others are already doing so. Still, I think the sum is significant when in a foreign country.

55. Atc-Nate says:

Unmentioned is the fact that Chia has now created depth AND no longer NEEDS to keep a RW if Versteeg works out. He can move Nail and get something for him as RW is much closer to an area of strength. Hell, if Nail performs, JP goes down and just pushes everyone on the right side of the roster to give it 100 per cent… it’s win win.

56. LadiesloveSmid says:

Pessimistic LadiesloveSmid thinks the salary that gets moved for a D might be Pouliot’s, not Yak’s and Versteeg’s versatility on the wings could influence that. #KeepPou

57. LadiesloveSmid says:

Looks like Marco Roy is playing for Vancouver at the Pentiction tournament

58. Richard S.S. says:

Connor McDavid, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Leon Draisaitl can all play 1C because they’ve did it and did it successfully. No other Centre on the Roster is good enough to play just 3C. That’s where they need help, someone better than Lander or Letestu. The issue however, might be cap space.

59. Richard S.S. says:

Milan Lucic, Benoit Pouliot and Patrick Maroon can all play 1LW because they’ve did it and did it successfully. I have my doubts about anyone else just playing 3LW, let alone better. I just don’t know who else is good enough. They might need help here. The issue however, might be cap space.

60. LMHF#1 says:

So looking around the league a bit – a trade with PHX for Michael Stone and Tobias Rieder would solve a lot of problems.

What would it take to get that done I wonder.

Stone looks like a strong player, and a right shot D, but not sure PHX can sign him after this year. The contract issues with Rieder are obvious. They’re also deep in terms of prospects nearing NHL duty.

Might be something there.

61. stevezie says:

Richard S.S.,

Are you saying that you’re okay with Draisatl as a 1C, but not as a 3C?

62. Richard S.S. says:

Jordan Eberle is a Good 1 RW. Nail Yakupov might almost be this good with McDavid and just might be quite good with Draisaitl. Jesse Puljujarvi will be a 1RW soon enough, just maybe not yet. Kris Versteeg might be 1C material, but should easily be at least 2C. I don’t know enough about Zack Kassian to know if he’s good enough to play above 3RW. They might need help here. The issue however, might be cap space.

63. Richard S.S. says:

stevezie,

Use common sense please. If someone is good enough to be 1C, he’s easily good enough to play any Centre position.

64. Richard S.S. says:

The Oilers have a lot of Top Nine players that all can easily be Top Six players and most can easily be Top Three. That necessitates three Scoring Lines to make best use of the talent. Is Fourth line getting any minutes? Should they?

65. Mr DeBakey says:

commonfan14:
    Big picture of Nurse on the wall at Rogers Place.

I’d say it’s highly unlikely he’s not on the opening night roster.

LadiesloveSmid:

Two comments straight from the Oiler Fan’s Handbook.

66. Oiln5 says:

Can’t complain about more depth. 2nd line winger who will likely be playing with Draisaitl on the 3rd line.. while there’s enough skill here for Maroon to succeed.

Lucic-McDavid-Yakupov
    Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle
    Maroon-Draisaitl-Versteeg
    Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian

That looks pretty damn good to me.

67. Mr DeBakey says:

One thing about Versteeg – speed.
    One thing about Lucic – speed.
    One thing about Larsson – speed.
    One thing about Hall – speed in Newark.
    And so forth.

68. kinger_OIL says:

Oiln5:

Lucic-McDavid-Yakupov
    Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle
    Maroon-Draisaitl-Versteeg
    Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian

That looks pretty damn good to me.

That’s a line-up to get excited about:

– Let’s say Versteeg is still bonafide: he and Maroon are great for Drai. The kind of vets that the OBC never gave their players. 3rd C is great for Drai

– Pou-RNH-Ebs were great last year for spurts, like really great

– Got to give Yak his chance for 20 games. Lucic and McD can back-check: Yak be Brett Hulling

– Kass can move up, you can bring in JarJar or whoever for indoctrination.

– This is a legit NHL F corps: only Yak is a ? in terms of demonstrated ability to play at level slotted (+ health versteeg)

– Very little “hoping” here

69. hunter1909 says:

kinger_OIL: – Chia is for real, I hope McTavish has a notepad, that he can take when they punt him: have some pride MacT: get a job elsewhere….

More like “Did you know how I helped make the Oilers competitive?” MacT

This is basically a man without shame.

lynn: Making the playoffs will save everyone’s sanity

Fixed that for you.

70. stevezie says:

Richard S.S.,

That’s why i wanted to clarify. I was afraid you might have hit your had and needed help. We’ve all got to watch out for each otherin think s mad, mad, mad, mad, mad world.

For what it’s worth, i don’t know what it is you were actually trying to say. My question was born of genuine confusion.

But don’t worry – i did not hit my head.

71. stevezie says:

Richard S.S.,

Ridiculous as it sounds, Rob Zamuner once made an Olympic team because someone thought 1Cscouldn’t handle the pace of the fourth line.

And no, on this (and most) teams the 4th line should not see much even strength time. Pk specialists.

72. Oddspell says:

Speaking of MacT, I decided to check up on Vladdy Hockey. It’s only 5 games into the season, but he has 7 points, 4 goals in the KHL. Tied for 3rd in goals, and 11th for points playing with Ziyat Paigin on AK Bars. I wonder if there’s an NHL player there.

73. LadiesloveSmid says:

how do we compare 30YO Versteeg to last year’s 30YO Purcell?

74. Mr DeBakey says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    how do we compare 30YO Versteeg to last year’s 30YO Purcell?

Ohh, good one.

Purcell is bigger, but not a prairie boy.
    Purcell is one year older, neither blindingly fast.

Last five seasons
    GP
    Purcell – 368
    Versteeg – 300

Pts/G
    Purcell – .60
    Versteeg – .55

PIM/Gm
    Purcell – .21
    Versteeg – .58

Purcell has racked 54 points more than Versteeg.
    Versteeg’s Rel Grittensity is thru the roof.
    We’ll leave counting shots and that other fancy stuff to the experts.
    Oh yeah, Cup rings. Versteeg, Two to Naught.

75. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Mr DeBakey,

Versteeg is faster than Purcell for sure.

76. Richard S.S. says:

As 1C, 2C, 3C, Milan Lucic – Connor McDavid, or Beniot Pouliot – Connor McDavid, or Patrick Maroon – Connor McDavid:
    1) will work well with Jordan Eberle:
    2) should work well with Kris Versteeg;
    3) might work well with Nail Yakupov.

As 1C, 2C, 3C, Milan Lucic – Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, or Beniot Pouliot – Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, or Patrick Maroon – Ryan Nugent-Hopkins :
    1) will work well with Jordan Eberle:
    2) should work well with Kris Versteeg;
    3) might work well with Zack Kassian;
    4) might function with Nail Yakupov.

As 1C, 2C, 3C, Milan Lucic – Leon Draisaitl, or Beniot Pouliot – Leon Draisaitl , or Patrick Maroon – Leon Draisaitl:
    1) will work well with Jordan Eberle:
    2) should work well with Kris Versteeg;
    3) might work well with Zack Kassian;
    4) might function with Nail Yakupov.

Top Nine should be fine. There are good options if they are necessary. The Bottom Five however are a different story.

77. Oilspill says:

So much more than team shots when looking at a players skill set.
    Your line gets a shot and gives up two shots..ooh… .33 means very little when evaluating that fellow. Soon many factors and most are observable but not measurable.

Mr DeBakey: Ohh, good one.

Purcell is bigger, but not a prairie boy.
    Purcell is one year older, neither blindingly fast.

Last five seasons
    GP
    Purcell – 368
    Versteeg– 300

Pts/G
    Purcell – .60
    Versteeg – .55

PIM/Gm
    Purcell – .21
    Versteeg – .58

Purcell has racked 54 points more than Versteeg.
    Versteeg’s Rel Grittensity is thru the roof.
    We’ll leave counting shots and that other fancy stuff to the experts.
    Oh yeah, Cup rings. Versteeg, Two to Naught.

78. Mr DeBakey says:

Oilspill: So much more than team shots when looking at a players skill set.

Do you have a point?

79. jm363561 says:

Lowetide: I looked around, but it is just so good.

This is a, how shall we say, somewhat unusual start to a hockey thread. Not that there’s anything wrong with that😀

80. jm363561 says:

Sunday morning breakfast in Starbucks Manila. Wife at church. Plenty of time to fix the Oilers:

Don’t mess with St Brandon; play him LD
    Ver steel is a good fit on the “tricky name to spell criterion” and has a cool spell check (as you can see). If he is so good why did he sign for Basle?
    Chia will get us an RHD and a B+ grade.
    Give Yak a shot with McD and Looch.

Back to the bagel.

81. G Money says:

Mr DeBakey,

I’m 100% sure he’s trying to demonstrate he has no understanding of hockey, statistics, or hockey statistics.

82. haters says:

So all week that gastropod Stauffer was saying all week how Yak dosent deserve to play with Connor and his practice habits at the end of the year stunk and blah bla blaa ….

We in here talking about practice ??

Sorry couldn’t help myself ..

Rest in Pepparoni Yakupov
    May you find an organization that believes in you.
    I really hope they at least learn from their mistakes and Pulijijarvu starts in the AHL …