DAILY RUSHES

The Edmonton Oilers Young Stars played well for three periods and were clearly the better group last night against the Vancouver Canucks. Unfortunately, the game doesn’t count in the standings—but the organization has plenty to be happy about after G1 of the Penticton weekend.

GAME NOTES, SEPTEMBER 16

• G Nick Ellis—He was a strong candidate for player of the game, suspect many left the rink thinking exactly that way. Saved 29 of 30, .967, and several were of the difficult variety. College man, so he had more experience than many in that game but for me that was a terrific effort. No. 3 star of the game for me.
  • G Dylan Wells—Did not play.
  • G Keven Bouchard—Did not play.
  • RD Ethan Bear—0-0-0, Even, one shot. I liked his game, he looked more mobile than a year ago and was an effective passer. I felt he deferred to Betker several times, but as the younger player that makes sense. He played a steady, consistent game.
  • RD Matt Benning—0-0-0, +1. He was very good to my eye, once I stopped expected Hemsky. Defensively he looked strong in positioning and he moved the puck quickly and efficiently. He also recovered quickly when losing a mini-battle, he is a determined fellow.
  • LD Ben Betker—0-1-1, +1, two shots, 5PIMS. Big man had a strong game, got caught flat-footed a couple of times but recovered well. We should expect strong performance from him based on age and experience, but credit where due that was a good game.
  • RD Kayle Doetzel—Did not play.
  • LD Caleb Jones—0-0-0, +1 and one shot. Played a strong game and his wheels are excellent. He has size, skill and a rugged style, so that gives him a chance to play in a lot of situations. I would guess the Jones-Benning pairing played the most and he didn’t look out of place in any situation. Recovered nicely a few times. The man can wheel.
  • LD Markus Niemelainen—1-0-1 +1, 4 shots. I think this was one of the best performances of the evening (I would rank him as the No. 2 star). Niemelainen is a big, rangy defender who can move the puck well and does seem to have an idea in the offensive zone. An extremely encouraging evening.
  • LD Kyle Jenkins—Did not play.
  • RD Aaron Irving—Did not play.
  • RD Dallas Valentine—0-1-1, +2 and one shot. I did not think he played at the same level as the other five defenders on the evening. He was exposed on the GA, although the forward (Russell) should have been home and dry.
  • C Lane Bauer—0-0-0, Even and two shots. He was noticeable in a few areas (drew a penalty, had some reasonable looks) and is a responsible player. I doubt he will get enough TOI to show his stuff in this format, but he is probably good enough to have a pro career if he pursues it.
  • L Joey Benik—1-1-2, +3 and one shot. He got a nice push on the top line, but credit where due this was a fine evening. He didn’t win every battle, and you would like to see that from a 24-year old, but a good night.
  • L Tyler Benson—Did not play. The biggest disappointment of the evening.
  • R Chad Butcher—0-0-0, even and two shots. I really liked his game. Slippery and skilled, bet he gets a goal if he plays his next game just like this one.
  • C Drake Caggiula—0-1-1, +2 and one shot. He didn’t get rewarded for a lot of good play imo. He checks up at the blueline a lot (remember Ralph Intranuovo?) and has an idea about how to get good looks in the offensive zone. I liked him, he would be my No. 5 star.
  • R Greg Chase—0-0-0, even and two shots. I was disappointed in his first period, but Chase came on later in the game and did some good things. He was not part of a feature line, but skated a long way in search of making something happen. Hope he gets a better shake in his second game in terms of linemates.
  • L Braden Christoffer—0-0-0, even, no shots and 2PIMS. He had a good game, Penticton agrees with him. He is a gritty fellow (the penalty was nothing) and has some skill.
  • R Jaeden Desheaneau—Did not play.
  • LC Thomas Foster—0-0-0, even, three shots. I liked him a lot, probably the best of the invites. He was on what looked like the 4line and was the most impressive of the group.
  • RC Kyle Platzer—0-2-2, +1 and four shots. Fantastic game for Platzer, who always shows well at this tournament. His good work at puck retrieval led directly to the first goal, and he skated miles at both ends of the ice. A big season ahead, he was my fourth star of the game.
  • R Jesse Puljujarvi—2-1-3, +3 and five shots. Jesus, Mary and Joseph that second goal was thrilling. He seemed sleepy early, but there was a play in the first period where JP got a pass with some open road and showed off his skating ability—it was fantastic. First goal was kind of a whiff, but goal-scorers tend to find a way. An electric debut.
  • R Patrick Russell—0-0-0, -1 and three shots. He is big and physical and can shoot the puck, but speed was the obvious issue and he had a couple of wobbly moments. Of the college men Edmonton signed over the summer, he had the least impressive game.
  • L Collin Shirley—0-0-0, even, one shot and 2PIMS. He was noticeable in good and bad ways, the line he was on (Butcher, Chase) had several good shifts and a couple that included some running around.
  • RC Tomas Soustal—Did not play.
  • LC Carson Stadnyk—0-0-0, even and one shot. He was on what looked like the 4line and did not do anything noticeable beyond chasing the puck in specific situations. You would have to see him for a few games to form an opinion, but he has size and skill. Edmonton invited more interesting players this time.
  • notes.

final-score

My five stars:

1. Jesse Puljujarvi
  2. Markus Niemelainen
  3. Nick Ellis
  4. Kyle Platzer
  5. Drake Caggiula

I took into account age and experience, Ellis probably gets first star in a straight up ranking. The 2016 draft had a very good evening and this is reflected in my selections here. Oilers play Calgary tonight, I will have a GDT thread up later today. On SSE today (noon-4), I will have a pre-taped discussion with Kelly Buchberger (Dusty and Wil) about the Young Stars, will also replay a conversation with former Q scout Simon Boisvert about Oilers prospects (it is an excellent conversation, very bright guy) and Jim Roepcke will give us his opinion of G1 (he was in attendance).

We have the hockey. Thank you, hockey Gods, for the game and that gigantic goofy beautiful Finn. Well, both of them.

103 Responses to "DAILY RUSHES"

1. slopitch says:

Tkachuk looks like a real shithead. In the best way possible. And I’m still glad we got JP. Hockey is back. Go Canada too!

2. npanciroli says:

I really enjoyed watching that. Felt good to have hockey again.

3. kinger_OIL says:

– Great report LT: The report provided, it kind of reminded of the SNL skits about ‘Da Bears:

– Everyone was awesome, and I’m giving 5 stars.

– Anyway I kid, obviously you did a great job giving those of us who didn’t watch the game, we get a little sense of how these guys look and playing style.

– If pool-party was a midget, how many goals would he score?

4. Mr DeBakey says:

Just for reference, the least young of the Young Guns:

Name – Age

Joey Benik – 24.7
    Patrick Russell – 23.7
    Nick Ellis – 22.7
    Braden Christoffer – 22.6
    Matt Benning – 22.3
    Drake Caggiula – 22.3
    Ben Betker – 22.0

5. Younger Oil says:

slopitch:

Effective agitators do not go out of their way to attempt to injure an unexpecting player, spineless cowards do.

Any person who said the play was fine and Lemieux deserved that can give their heads a shake.

kinger_OIL:

– Everyone was awesome, and I’m giving 5 stars.

They won 4-1 and looked quality to my eye. In fact, the GA that featured a miss by Russell and then Valentine was one of the few breakdowns. Vancouver did get going a few times with Edmonton chasing the puck, but Ellis was there to save them. No doubt I could have marked them harder, but of course when one isn’t overly familiar with names and numbers that too becomes a chore. Either way, glad you enjoyed it.

7. Clay says:

I think we need to expect Filthyjarvi to suffer a bit from the “big man visual bias” where he doesn’t look to be going very fast but is. (I guess we are the ones suffering from it, to be accurate.) Every big guy from Big M to Penner appeared that way at times. That goal though – how he had the ability to adjust his shooting angle was awesome.

You didn’t mention it LT, but Betker showed some nice vision on the setup for Jesse’s first goal. A lot like Sutton would do occasionally – big guy lumbering into the offensive zone and makes a surprisingly good play.

8. Pouzar says:

I liked Betker, Butcher and Benning as well. Nice night.

9. Water Fire says:

Younger Oil: Sorry, but a blatant elbow to the head followed by multiple cross checks to the spine when the player is down injured is not “in the best way possible”.

10. Axiv says:

Good analysis, LT.
    I didn’t see Caggiula as well as you did. He looked off Pulju a few times when he had open ice ahead, and an open net in the third.
    Niemelainen was very impressive all game. I recall several smart plays he made in the defensive zone and played physical when needed. He also has more puck skill than was suggested in his draft reports, if I’m remembering correctly.
    Pulju was, without a doubt the most dynamic player on the ice. Early on there were several instances where he didn’t make the simple play and turned the puck over, but he got better as the game went and I suspect he’ll look even better next game.
    There are three good games to watch today; I’m going to have to take my old lady out for breakfast and fake a cold, or something, to catch all three!

11. Fog of Warts says:

Water Fire: Americans have really cornered the market on cheap shot artists. Maybe they saw an opening when Matt Cooke retired, something in hockey they could be best at.

I guess that leaves Canada in its usual downtrodden position: vying for the crown of cheap ricochets.

12. dustrock says:

Nice to see some Jarvi Kurri action early.

What a howitzer.

13. speeds says:

Anyone done the math on EDM’s cap situation? Can McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse, Reinhart, Puljuarvi and Caggiula fit on the roster at same time?

14. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Looks like we played pretty close to our “A” lineup last night. Interested to see who sits today.

15. Fog of Warts says:

Short version: JP leapfrogs stalled Yak still in his PJs.

Also, between Jujhar Khaira and Jesse Puljujärvi, we can have our very own Jujs Dredd—just ask any out-of-town call crew yet to receive their game sheets.

Fog of Warts: Short version: JP leapfrogs stalled Yak still in his PJs.

Should never had traded Paajarvi. 🙂

17. defmn says:

Lowetide: Should never had traded Paajarvi.

I’m pretty sure we can get him back without too much difficulty. 🙂

18. haters says:

He scored 2 goals in a rookie tourney and he’s ahead of yak ? I beg to differ.

Anyone else wish Gene would stfu and call the damn game ? I’m sure they can find someone coming up that could do a better job.

Yay for hockey boo for Príncipe

haters:
    He scored 2 goals in a rookie tourney and he’s ahead of yak ? I beg to differ.

Yay for hockey boo for Príncipe

I didn’t write it, suspect it was a joke. That said, because Oilers.

20. blainer says:

I think Yak might be in tough if JP plays like that on the big stage.

Based on Stauffers verbal on Yak having to earn his spot with CMD I am now back on the pessamistc side for YAK. I just don’t see him on this team if he doesn’t get to play with CMD.

I sure hope he worked his ass off over the summer and he does get the chance to show some chemistry with hopefully Lucic and McDavid.

Would love to see JP on the farm and for them to start palying him at centre and playing him 20 mins a night plus… but me thinks after watching that shot and his skating last night he makes the team and plays the point on the first PP unit.. probably in the Ovie spot.

21. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

Every year I look forward to this tourney, what with all the high draft picks and all.

Had a bit of a tough time identifying guys on the fly, and all the “colour” commentary by the broadcast staff didn’t help either. I know it’s a more informal setting but they could do the fanbase a favour by holding to a modicum of professionalism. /rant

Guys I saw good were (no order): JP, Niemelainen, Caggiula, Platzer, Benning, Ellis, Betker. I noticed a lot of Valentine, but he was less consistent. Looks like there could be a player there though, going to definitely follow his progress.

Though it was just an informal game amongst prospects, it was an encouraging event. The guys I wanted to see play all did well and a few nice surprises to boot.

– JP is fast, strong, smart and skilled. Thank you Columbus!!!!
    – Niemelainen reads and reacts well, skates well for a big man and generally looked strong. Hope he puts it all together sooner than later, he looks very good in an Oilers jersey.
    – Caggiula plays a gritty game that surprised, even after reading all about it. He was good on the other side of the puck as well, and looked like he could make a push at the big camp.
    – Benning made some sharp passes and good defensive zone reads, looks to have good wheels.
    – Ellis could make a strong case for himself to play a lot of minutes in the A this year. LB only has to be better than a replacement level goalie for that to happen, so he’s got a good chance.

smellyglove:
    Horcoff retires…

LT, do we get an ‘honour post’? A tribute?

I haven’t yet decided, but did write a sail on when he left.

23. dustrock says:

Guys that Jarvi Kurri goal last night was fantastic.

I would be very surprised if he had that much time in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Let’s not leapfrog over Yak or Versteeg quite yet.

24. geowal says:

smellyglove:
    Horcoff retires…

LT, do we get an ‘honour post’? A tribute?

Seconded.

25. Loyal2theoil says:

Puljujärvi reminds me so much of Blake Wheeler…

26. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I love the enthusiasm, but I’m going to go ahead and be a downer and remind everyone not to put too much stake into this tournament. JP looked good. Anointing him ahead of Yak or Versteeg based on that game is setting yourself up for dissapoinent in a way that Oilers fans have mastered.

Versteeg would have potted a few last night too. Same for Yak.

Patience my friends. Good arrows, nothing more nothing less.

27. Woogie63 says:

Puljajarvi is the highest end talent and best skater.

IMO he is going to have to adjust his game a bit to play at the NHL level.

He doesn’t stop and start to stay in the play, last night it was big looping circles to stay in motion. At this level it works, but the NHL systems will punish this style of play.

Ca$h-McMoney!:

Versteeg would have potted a few last night too. Same for Yak.

Patience my friends. Good arrows, nothing more nothing less.

Agree of course (my post projected no one onto the NHL roster) but I do think it wise for the Oilers fan to assume the organization views JP and Caggiula as possible opening night options and Benning may not be far behind. Edmonton’s verbal and history suggest these things are possible.

29. skidplate says:

So when does the talk of Seguin being injury prone start?

skidplate:
    So when does the talk of Seguin being injury prone start?

If you can get me back to 2010, I will take care of the rest.

31. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Wasn’t really worried about you LT.

32. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Anyone know how I can stream the game?

33. G Money says:

The cautions about not reading too much into these games is warranted.

Remember Braden Christoffer last year?

That said, I’d way rather have the shiny new toy look fantastic at this level than have him not look fantastic at this level, amirite?

34. frjohnk says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Anyone know how I can stream the game?

Youtube

35. Oilyfan says:

It’s a real secret site for illicit downloads. oilers.nhl.com

36. G Money says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

I watched the Youtube feed on my main floor TV through Apple TV, and it was a registered beautician. (The feed was HD quality with no lag)

All the games are being streamed is what I heard, so you should be able to go to EdmontonOilers.com and get the link if you can’t find it directly in Youtube.

37. Oiln5 says:

Mr DeBakey,

Nice that Yakupov’s still younger than some of these guys. Feels like the dude has 3 fans left these days. He was rushed onto an extremely shitty team with no defensive stability. His confidence and shooting % will come back, and he’ll no longer be an outsider with Taylor Hall gone.

38. Bruce McCurdy says:

G Money:
    Ca$h-McMoney!,

I watched the Youtube feed on my main floor TV through Apple TV, and it was a registered beautician.(The feed was HD quality with no lag)

39. Mr DeBakey says:

G Money: By my eye, the level of play was better than Jr but below AHL (especially defensively), so still a huge jump to the NHL.

Its about CIS level.
    If the Golden Bears are overall better than the Rookies – save for the skill level of a few, top-end guys.

40. Bruce McCurdy says:

Oiln5:
    Mr DeBakey,

41. frjohnk says:

Bruce McCurdy: I just watched on my computer, but was very impressed by the feed quality which appeared to be at least two steps removed from the traditional level of AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH1111

Somebody got smart and got rid of the “potatoe cam”

42. G Money says:

Bruce McCurdy,
    frjohnk,

Will you be at any of the Young Stars or preseason games, Bruce?

I still think the unique viewpoint of the potato cam adds a certain je ne sais quoi to our understanding of the game.

43. JDï™ says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Anyone know how I can stream the game?

The best way is on the Oilers’ youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/OilersonDemand

Edit: And yes, thank you to the tourney organizers for eventually getting a good stream for the games!

44. Oiln5 says:

Bruce McCurdy,

I’ll concede there’s more than 3, but I don’t think I’m too far off. Seems a high percentage expect nothing from him at this point, and would accept a 4th round pick happily. I see the stars aligning for the player this year with McDavid or Draisaitl as his center. There’s real potential for Yak to take a “most improved player in the nhl” award. This poor player broke into the league with Sam Gagners’ defensive acumen backed by shit on the backend… It never got better. No doubt confidence plummets when you damn well know a mistake will end up in your own net.

Sorry to keep beating the Yak drum, I’m just more excited for a season than a draft for the first time in… I don’t even know anymore.

45. dessert1111 says:

I actually came away a bit disappointed in Caguilla. He has a lot of hype and is one of the older players and is playing with the theoretically top Oilers players. I think he’d look better as a winger.

We should sign that Christoffer guy before someone else does, he looks great in camp 😉

46. stephen sheps says:

Bruce McCurdy: Yak has tons of fans. It’s far from unanimous, of course. But it’s far from “woe is us, the entire fan base has deserted our man”. Indeed Yak’s fans tend to be dogged, & vocal. He has many more than 3 fans in this comments section alone.

like me!

Yak city forever!!!

47. cadooo says:

Being a Kelowna resident I love the young stars tournament. All these prospects fighting for a job makes for a great event.

As lowetide has written one thing is clear this is Chiarellis team now. This years roster is noticeably larger than previous years.

Puljujarvi is a big dude. He skates fast, hits, passes and scores. The top shelf goal blew me away. I know this is pretty unlikely but I’d like to see a Lucic-Draistl-Puljujarvi line.

Axiv,
    Caggiula skated over to Puljujarvi immediately after that and gave him a fist bump. So he seemed to recognize he should have passed.

Late in the third I noticed Jim Benning and Trevor Linden were watching the game. They were both obviously slumped down in their seats.

48. Chachi says:

G Money:
    The cautions about not reading too much into these games is warranted.

Remember Braden Christoffer last year?

The verbal in the Vancouver media reports on last night’s game was about how Juolevi looked smooth and unhittable during the game and how he would have looked better in a game with more structure to it (i.e. a real life NHL game). That may all be true, but undoubtedly, for one night at least, the Oilers first round Fin was better than Vancouver’s first round Fin.

49. frjohnk says:

When it comes to Yak and his spot on the team, we now have 6 right wingers fighting for 4 spots.

EBERLE is a lock to play 1st line with McDavid, or 2nd line with RNH if they spread the wealth.

Yak, Versteeg and JP will be fighting for the 2nd and 3rd line spots. And don’t forget that Kassian and PAK will be fighting for a bottom 6 spot.

And this is of course keeping Draisaitl as a center. He will probably play some right wing as well.

This is how the Oilers most likely see their depth at right wing.

EBERLE

Versteeg (if like last year)/ Yak
    Kassian
    PAK

JP is a wild card.

I think the Versteeg add was partly because management and the coaches are not sold on Yak being a top 6 player for this team. Versteeg also provides cover if JP is not ready and also for Kassian if something were to happen off the ice. Versteeg add would also be cheap.

I’m on record saying Yak will score more goals than Hall this year as I think he breaks out this year ( but this was before the Versteeg add)

But if Versteeg plays like last year and JP blows the doors off, I do wonder where that leaves Yak.

50. Shizuka says:

One small subtlety I noticed from last night’s game — in one shot of the bench, it appeared that Niemelainen was having to do some interpreting for Puljujarvi. I hope the Oilers are investing in some sort of English tutoring for the kid, because he will need to understand the system play coming from a coach who wants his lineup playing a very structured game. It’s a good thing he has a pretty high hockey IQ, but even so… needs to acclimate quickly, at least in regards to the language.

*edit* And duh, of course the image for this article captures that exact moment. I’m an idiot, sorry LT.

51. skidplate says:

Nice start by Team EUR!!

52. Stelio Kontos says:

At what point are we allowed to hit panic this year? I think we know we will be near bottom in ocotber with a promising corsi that will “regress to the mean.”

53. frjohnk says:

Stelio Kontos:

I feel compelted to tell you that spelled meat wrong.

54. selivanov11 says:

Hello fellow lowetidians, first time poster wondering if anyone could provide some recommendations for streaming the Canada game?

And while I’m on just wanted to thank Mr. Lowetide for all the hard work and great content, and for the commenters who have added to my hockey experience.

55. stush18 says:

Lol what is party Kane doing

Atta be leon

56. Oil2Oilers says:

Draisaitl caining Kane

57. Centre of attention says:

Neon Leon keeps it going, 4 goals in his last 2 games. Plenty of time left in this one to improve on that number!

58. Derek says:

selivanov11:

Search google for Reddit hockeystreams. You should be able to find something there when the time comes.

As was already mentioned, Drai just stripped Kane to create a 2-0 and scored to put Europe up by 2.

59. skidplate says:

selivanov11,

All games on on youtube. Check there or the Oilers site.

60. skidplate says:

Team EUR looking very good.

61. Rebilled says:

LEON IN THE USA!

62. Ryan says:

Centre of attention:
    Neon Leon keeps it going, 4 goals in his last 2 games.

dry!!!

That Pat Kane guy is a bust. -2?

63. Ryan says:

Can someone check on Godot to make sure he doesn’t have alcohol poisoning?

64. Centre of attention says:

I like how Ralph has been using Leon so far.

Kind of an offensive specialty 3rd line. Not as many minutes as Drai probably wants but when hes on the ice its usually a good match up and the kid converts when it matters.

I really hope Todd uses him this way. I feel like he will be on the wing in the top 6 a lot though. Le sigh.

65. SwedishPoster says:

Krueger outcoaching Torts something proper.

66. Ryan says:

SwedishPoster:
    Krueger outcoaching Torts something proper.

I thought Team Euro was cued up to be a punching bag for this tourney, but they looked like a well-coached team now.

Where’s Godot?

67. Spengler says:

frjohnk,

I love this place…

68. pocession charge says:

Ryan:

Where’s Godot?

You’ll never find him.

69. Centre of attention says:

FWIW:

DTM About Heart
    ‏@DTMAboutHeart
    Feeling pretty good about my WAR model loving Leon Draisaitl right now

70. Ryan says:

pocession charge: You’ll never find him.

St Ralph is slaying USA and Godot is nowhere to be found?

71. Centre of attention says:

Also, Benson sitting again tonight. Shoulder surgery is an inevitability right? Such is the life of a promising Oiler prospect.

72. pocession charge says:

Seidenberg with some ugly defensive play for Team Europe. He Jultzed in the corner in the US no goal.

73. pocession charge says:

Ryan: St Ralph is slaying USA and Godot is nowhere to be found?

Sounds like a line in one of DMW’s stories.

74. SwedishPoster says:

I love when calls go against Tortorella it’s like a nuke is going off inside his head.

75. Rebilled says:

SwedishPoster,

There’s lots of room for nukes in there. He used to coach the Canucks.

76. Rebilled says:

Seven nation army up 3-0

77. Gret99zky says:

Ryan
    Where’s Godot?

Just…wait.

78. Ryan says:

Gret99zky: Just…wait.

Anyone who had Europe winning this game is a liar, lol.

79. Professor Q says:

Ryan: Anyone who had Europe winning this game is a liar, lol.

I’m no liar, and I had Europe winning. Especially after Draisaitl’s breakout.

80. OilSafety says:

Can anyone confirm 8:30 mountain game time tonight. Looking forward to it.

Wonderful game for team Europe and Dr drai

81. Centre of attention says:

Mark Spector ‏@SportsnetSpec 44s44 seconds ago
    I think that cheesy interference call came directly from ESPN’s head office.

Relevant.

82. BONVIE says:

I have been watching this game since about half way through the second and I don’t think I have seen Leon Draisatel on the ice yet.

83. Klima's_Bucket says:

Ryan: Anyone who had Europe winning this game is a liar, lol.

I had Europe too. This american team is incredibly overrated.
    Dubinsky, Backes, Abdelkader, Kesler and Jack Johnson.

Quick is the worst goalie out of Bishop, Schneider and yet he’s starting.
    Big Buff is scratched.

Torts is lost.

84. Centre of attention says:

BONVIE:

He got benched the other night after scoring a hat trick.

Ralph likes to lean on his veterans when he’s got a lead. I don’t mind.

Also, to be fair, there has been a lot of penalty kill time for team Europe and Leon is not on Ralphs PK unit so there’s another reason.

Oops…wrong coach! -).

How about this?

Ralph and Team Europe …. https://youtu.be/98qw86DsdZ0?t=11s

86. Captain's Log says:

I can’t stand the amount of penalties that the refs ignore. Pavelski just broke his own stick slashing Chara and there’s no hint that he did anything wrong in the eyes of the ref…

87. Centre of attention says:

Chris PetersVerified account
    ‏@chrismpeters
    Team USA now scoreless in their last eight periods in a best-on-best tournament going back to Sochi. Last American scorer: Phil Kessel.

Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters 1m1 minute ago
    Chris Peters Retweeted Chris Peters
    Update: Make it 9 periods.

I wonder if guys like Yandle, Tyler Johnson and Phil Kessel would help team USA’s scoring struggles?

88. Klima's_Bucket says:

Centre of attention,

Nah, America is missing guys like:

Ryan Callahan, Matt Hendricks, and Zach Bogosian.

Grit wins championships. Speed and skill are irrelevant.

89. Bank Shot says:

Excellent pre-gapping by Team Europe today. :):)

90. Centre of attention says:

Bank Shot:
    Excellent pre-gapping by Team Europe today. :):)

Chara seems to finally have got the ol’ motor running. Still very effective when he is able to keep those feet moving. Sekera backing him up nicely, liked his quiet but effective game so far.

91. Professor Q says:

Klima’s_Bucket:
    Centre of attention,

Nah, America is missing guys like:

Ryan Callahan, Matt Hendricks, and Zach Bogosian.

Grit wins championships.Speed and skill are irrelevant.

That didn’t seem to stop them in defeating the ol’ U. S. A. 😉

That Draisaitl breakaway was beautiful.

92. stevezie says:

I think i am more invested in seeing America lose than Canada win.

If they can find a way to lose to the Czechs…

93. Frank the dog says:

SwedishPoster:
    Krueger outcoaching Torts something proper.

No surprise. I suspect he is a better coach than TMac.

94. stephen sheps says:

All of this conversation is just making me more excited to see Leon, Ralph and the rest of the eurorphans Monday afternoon vs. the Czechs, one of two games I get to see. (The other is Finland vs. Russia).

Tickets are remarkably cheap for the afternoon match ups – Fin/Rus was 11.50USD/ticket.

If any other Toronto-based people around these parts are going to either of those games, please let me know. Would be cool to meet up for a beer before, during or after.

95. Centre of attention says:

Professor Q: Well, according to the commentators, Team Europe isn’t as…Quick…as the rest of the teams in the tournament.

That didn’t seem to stop them in defeating the ol’ U. S. A.

That Draisaitl breakaway was beautiful.

The kid’s gonna be fine w/o Hall. There are still some fabulous wingers in the Oilers system and I’m not as worried as I maybe was during the time right after “the trade”. He won’t light it up every night obviously but I don’t see Drai’s offensive prowess as being strictly a Taylor Hall production. Just my opinion.

96. LadiesloveSmid says:

Frank the dog: No surprise. I suspect he is a better coach than TMac.

I’ll take TMac

97. Centre of attention says:

LadiesloveSmid: Krueger’s 5v5 results pretty terrible in EDM, with the same roster Eakins had. Lets Drai play 5 minutes a game.

I’ll take TMac

To be fair it was the entire 3rd line that got benched. Nino/Reider didn’t get many minutes either.

He heavily leans on his veteran centers when he’s got a lead. Can’t really blame him for that.

Put it this way: Would you rather Ralph lean on Draisaitl a bunch and risk an injury/fatigue before the actual NHL season? Ralph has Leon playing an offensive specialty role on the 3rd line, swooping in and converting beautifully whenever Ralph gets a good match up. Tonight that match up was a tired Patrick Kane near the end of a long offensive zone shift, and Leon exploited his opportunity wonderfully.

I’m not concerned in the least.

98. Derek says:

Centre of attention: He was pressuring Kane who’s teammates abandoned him, once puck turned over Drai was already on the attack. Lovely read.

Leon Draisaitl put up 105 points in his draft season on a terrible Prince Albert team where the second leading scorer was defenceman Josh Morrissey with 73 points. He’s got plenty of offense.

99. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Centre of attention,

Big Buff might help too.

100. Centre of attention says:

Tom Gulitti
    ‏@TomGulittiNHL
    Krueger: “I thank the kids (Team N, America) for spanking us so hard because we had adversity early.”

That’s what you call turning the other cheek ladies and gents.

101. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention: That’s what you call turning the other cheek ladies and gents.

You mean he didn’t blame Draisaitl for the losses in the post-game presser?

Oh, right… I was thinking of someone else.

102. Johnny Larue says:

Nice to see Leon and Andre play a great game. Andre looked pretty good playing his off side. It was great to see the USA go down couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of fellows. Especially Kesler