GRYBA PTO

The Edmonton Oilers received word today that Eric Gryba will attend camp on a PTO. You will read all kinds of numbers in regard to this player, but the one I like is 218. Eric Gryba has 218 NHL games on his resume, plus 10 more in the playoffs. I have always held that actual NHL players have value and he is one, along with Mark Fayne (409 NHL games, including playoffs).

Eric Gryba is a third-pairing option for sure, but he did post some solid numbers last season—especially with Brandon Davidson.

ERIC GRYBA 2015-16

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.44 (3rd among regular D)
  • 5×4 points per 60: nil (in 2 minutes and 33 seconds)
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 49.5
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: 1.4
  • Qual Comp: third pairing
  • Qual Team: third pairing
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 65 shots
  • Boxcars: 54, 1-5-6 .107

VOLLMAN SLEDGEHAMMER

OILERS D VOLLMAN BLUE 25 OR MORE

He was third pairing at evens, 15:32 per night. He played a lot on the PK—2:17 a night—and was one of the more successful defenders based on corsi rel 4×5. The Vollman shows he was definitely third pairing and he was close to 50 percent in possession 5×5, so that is where he is at this time. You may argue the Oilers should be able to post a stronger number from the third pairing, and that is a fine point. My counter is this: Who is better than Gryba among those applying for 7D?

• Klefbom—Larsson
  • Sekera—Fayne
  • Nurse—Davidson
  • Gryba

The competition will be Jordan Oesterle (another lefty), Matt Benning (new pro), Griffin Reinhart—who may in fact win the day—and David Musil. All of Oesterle, Benning and Reinhart can be sent down without worry of waivers, Musil has to clear. I wrote about Gryba in the RE series, you may be interested in reading it again. I will linger just a moment longer to say that Chiarelli played the situation rather well (cue the retort involving the Hall trade).

POSSIBLE OPENING NIGHT ROSTER

possible-opening-night-roster

It might be difficult to get both contracts onto the books, but this is what it might look like if that happens. If the Oilers are forced to decide between Versteeg and Gryba, who would you choose? For me, if Versteeg can help he would potentially play a more significant role.

PROJECTED 50-MAN

oilers-50-man-with-ptos

Oilers have two fairly certain slide rules (Jones and Bear) and one other possible slide (Puljujarvi). They would be at 50 contracts if signing both PTOs and claiming a player on waivers might be compromised. Suspect we see either a trade or a decision to sign one of Gryba or Versteeg (or none).

74 Responses to "GRYBA PTO"

1. Bruce McCurdy says:

If Oilers send Puljujarvi to Bakersfield with right of recall, I don’t know how that contract could be considered a slide. Or is it a case where it’s a slide until he plays his 10th game & then it isn’t? I don’t know the CBA well enough; maybe Speeds can chime in.

How did it work with Rantanen last year? Pastrnak the year before?

EDIT: looked up cap friendly & Rantanen’s contract officially slid. But did he have to count against the 50-man list?

2. hags9k says:

Gryba! OK close enough let’s have the balance photo!

3. JDï™ says:

Also, I’ll bet his asshair/60 is quite impressive.

If both Gryba and Nurse make the roster, that would make five mean hombres that Todd can put out at the end of an ugly game.

Not that I’m condoning such measures.

4. Moose says:

Bruce McCurdy:

If JP is playing in Bakersfield it definitely counts against the 50.

5. Moose says:

New Matty article has Oilers now at 63 camp invites (20 D-Men w/Gryba), which means there are a few forwards unaccounted for. I wasn’t impressed by many of the ATO’s at Penticton, so I wonder if there are any surprise PTO’s.

Oilers always seem to be among the last teams to announce camp rosters.

Moose: If JP is playing in Bakersfield it definitely counts against the 50.

7. Chachi says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    If Oilers send Puljujarvi to Bakersfield with right of recall, Imdon’t know how that contract could be considered a slide. Or is it a case where it’s a slide until he p,as his 10th game & then it isn’t? I don’t know the CBA well enough; maybe Speeds can chime in.

How did it work with Rantanen last year? Pastrnak the year before?

From the CBA:

“Reserve List” means the list of all Players to whom a Club has rights including all Unsigned Draft Choices, all Players signed to an SPC (whether or not currently playing in the NHL), and all Players who have signed an SPC but who have subsequently been returned to Juniors. A Club may have on its Reserve List, at any one time, not more than 90 Players, which shall include the following:

(a) Not more than 50 Players signed to an SPC and not less than 24 Players and 3 goalkeepers under an SPC. Age 18 and age 19 Players who were returned to Juniors, and who have not played 11 NHL Games in one season, shall be exempt from inclusion in the 50 Player limit.

Looks like JP would count against the 50 man limit in the AHL.

Edit: what moose said.

8. John Chambers says:

I think they should still be able to afford both at $1M apiece, no?

If Versteeg was willing to sign in Swiss it would’ve been for under a mil, while if Gryba could’ve he’d have done it weeks ago.

It seems we have the cap space to squeeze in both as long as we’re committed to less than a full season of Reinhart and JP.

9. Frank the dog says:

Forgive my ignorance, what does the hockey term “slide rule” mean as it pertains to the 50 person contract limit?
    Edit: Never mind. https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2010/07/15/parsing-the-cba-the-slide-rule/

10. Chachi says:

Lowetide: So, the only way for Puljujarvi to slide would be Finland, and we doubt that is going to happen. even closer to the bone, suspect a trade or just one PTO signing (or less).

I am not certain that he would be exempt from the 50 man limit even if he returned to Finland. I don’t have time right now to go throught the CBA, but from the section quoted above he would count toward the 50 man limit because he has signed an SPC. There might be a Euro-out clause hidden somewhere else though….

11. TO10801 says:

LT,

If my math is correct if they signed both they would be at 48 contracts with the sliderules coming off. That isn’t the worst situation to be in. They could still add a waiver claim if necessary. I would put money on both being signed if both are healthy. I suppose my question is why would you be concerned heading into the season with 47 contracts?

12. Moose says:

Pretty intriguing couple of weeks coming up, just based on the number of impact RFA’s still yet to sign. Imagine there’s still some D dominos to fall with the Trouba, Lindholm situations playing out.

If Oilers make a trade, ideally t’s a package from the glut on RW + LD.

They already have too many bodies on RW, so if they do keep 8 D as discussed, you’re only keeping 4 (if 5C) or 5 (if no 5C) of:

Eberle
    Yakupov
    Puljujarvi
    Versteeg
    Kassian
    Pakarinen (probably dead because he doesn’t have to clear)
    Slepyshev (doesn’t have to clear)
    Pitlick (waiver eligible, but will clear)
    Beck (waiver eligible, but will clear)

13. Frank the dog says:

LT I am wondering why Patrick Russell is on this list. I thought he was out of the picture.

Frank the dog:

Russell is signed to an NHL deal.

15. Richard S.S. says:

It’s hard To figure out Peter Chiarelli’s next move, because he has so many options available.
    1) The Versteeg PTO brings in a no risk quality RW option. When he makes the Team, Nail Yakupov gets his chance and Jesse Puljujarvi goes down (bonus numbers are also a factor) until he’s ready to come back up. If Nail does not succeed, PC still has quality options.
    2) Possibly signing Kris Russell lets PC move a LHD or two in a trade for a RHD. If that doesn’t occur the Gryba PTO lets him still run out 3 RHD on lines 1, 2 and 3 before going with lesser options.
    3) The 5 other PTOs he signed could improve the quality of call-ups due to injury.
    He can be satisfied with all he’s accomplished thus far, but we can be sure he’s never really finished.

16. leadfarmer says:

If they do sign Gryba please oh please don’t pair him with Reinhart. I know they wanted Gryba to teach him how to be physical and box protection but that is such a redundant pair. And yes box protection is important but someone has to be able to get the puck to the forwards

17. Ryan says:

Doubling down on Quick?

18. wf says:

TO10801,

If Versteeg is signed, I suspect Yakupov might as well start packing his bags because he will likely be on his way out of town, most likely for a small handful of beans. The more intriguing question with Gryba is what PC may have up his sleeve. While no one with the team is talking about it, I believe PC has his eye on a Leddy/Boychuk type situation before 10 games into the season and I don’t think he wants to commit either $ or contracts at this stage that he will need to shed before the end of October.

19. Ryan says:

wf,

Keep your eyes on your fries or Anaheim.

20. TO10801 says:

wf,

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking as well, and I do expect to Versteeg to get a contract if healthy. That would mean Chia looks to ship out Yak while looking at a Leddy/Boychuk type deal. If this is the case then it will be an interesting training camp. I wouldn’t be surprised if Versteeg and Gryba get a contract with another RHD coming in from a team at the cap.

21. wf says:

Ryan:
    wf,

Keep your eyes on your fries or Anaheim.

I agree completely. Once Lindholm is signed, it could trigger a cascade. I hear Fowler’s name mentioned but I don’t think that is who PC wants. My guess is Yak and Pouliot move for a RD but I wish they could keep Pouliot and maybe include someone from the Leftorium.

22. wf says:

TO10801:
    wf,

I’d love to see Trouba shake free but I think Cheveldayoff is too smart to let things get that bad with Trouba. The other name I like a LOT is Ristolainen in Buffalo. I think he’d look pretty good alongside Sekera on the second pair.

23. TO10801 says:

wf,

Those would both cost A LOT. Don’t think Buf would even consider moving Ristolainen. I think Anaheim moves Fowler as you said, so as far as RD go I’m not sure whats out there beyond an ugly contract like Streit or Wideman. Chia has been unpredictable tho so who knows what he will find.

24. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

A top four D of

Klefbom-Larsson
    Sekera-Ristolainan

That’s easily the best blue line since 2006 and in a year or two could be much much better.

25. wf says:

TO10801:
    wf,

Say what you like about PC, the one thing he isn’t, is afraid to make a big deal. I’ve heard Nurse plus 2017 for Trouba and if he is under contract, I wouldn’t blink at that deal. I think Ristolainen might be a bit cheaper. If he can’t get someone established and that can contribute at least solid second pairing minutes for years to come, PC might as well unload Yak for an RD prospect like Brandon Montour.

26. Ryan says:

TO10801:
    wf,

Anaheim wants to move Fowler.

We’ll see…

27. wf says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:

A top four D of

Klefbom-Larsson
    Sekera-Ristolainan

28. Ryan says:

Duchene bitches?

29. Bad Seed says:

wf,

And what about Lindholm being unsigned? What’s that about?

30. Ryan says:

wf: Break out the Kool Aid. It’s great to dream but can PC deliver. The thing that keeps bringing me back to Ristolainen is that no one is saying anything about him, even though he is an unsigned RFA, 2 days before training camp. The silence is Larsson-esk.

Meghan Trainor says, ‘hi.’

Buffalo’s not moving him.

31. wf says:

Ryan: There were rumors (on the interwebs) that Chiarelli offered Hall for Ristolainen and the answer was, ‘no.’

Anaheim wants to move Fowler.

We’ll see…

32. Bank Shot says:

It doesn’t matter if Puljujarvi is on the 50 man contract limit, but I believe his ELC is extended a year if he plays the whole year in the AHL.

That’s the smart move IMO. 3 more years of Puljujarvi on an ELC going into 2017-2018 give the Oilers a great contract just as they are about to enter their window of contending.

33. JDï™ says:

Ryan: Meghan Trainor says, ‘hi.’

And the Dennis Miller Obscure Reference Award goes to…

34. wf says:

Bad Seed:
    wf,

And what about Lindholm being unsigned?What’s that about?

General Fanager still lists Hampus Lindholm as RFA

35. Centre of attention says:

Yak for picks may happen simply because the Oilers need to remove a contract from the 50 man in order to add one of Gryba/Versteeg + have waiver flexibility. Either him or Pouliot. Could have something to do with pending RFA shoes that need dropping. The Oilers also could use a second round pick as theirs is gone to Boston.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if there is a flurry of activity right after the world cup. Not all Oiler related obviously, but I could see a situation where a move or two would makes sense.

Sail on, Sarnia Stinger. Keep your chin up and shot low.

36. John Chambers says:

wf:
    TO10801,

Yakupov and Versteeg aren’t linked. Yakupov is a raw talent that they’re trying to develop into a middle-6 winger, a much younger ‘Versteeg’ or ‘Hornquist’ type that they can roll out with one of our talented C’s. A positive outcome for Yakupov this season would be scoring 45 points and getting a 4-year contract with an AAV of $3.25M. He’ll either then be a contributor or at least an asset with some trade value.

I don’t think Chiarelli wants to squander the potential that Nail offers, regardless of whether he’s an Oiler after this season.

37. Ryan says:

wf: What about 1st,2nd and 3rd in 2017 and $5.5m for seven years. Yes Anaheim wants to move Fowler but do the Oilers need him. They are pretty well set at LD. If Anaheim wants to peddle a defenceman, I’d go for Brandon Montour at a much lower price point.

I’m not bullish on Fowler myself. He’s in play though.

Josh Manson’s my boy. Ask woodguy.

Anaheim’s trying to move Fowler, but if they can’t something good should shake loose.

38. speeds says:

If team NA beats SWE in regulation, are they automatically through no matter what based on the tiebreakers?

39. TO10801 says:

John Chambers,

Man I hope you are right, but I am concerned Tmac will fall in love with JP’s two way game and size and then it does become Yak v Versteeg, and it wouldn’t surprise me if they chose the vet to give some shelter to JP. I think Yak will have a NHL career just don’t know if he will play again in Edmonton

40. TO10801 says:

wf,

Chia may want to do something big but he would need a dance partner. All the reports from the “insiders” seem to say Trouba likes Winnipeg and Winnipeg like Trouba just not his contract demands. I could see this situation along the line of what happened with Subban and Montreal a couple years ago.

I’d be shocked if he was moved, but you never know

41. Ryan says:

JDï™: And the Dennis Miller Obscure Reference Award goes to…

You need to let it go…

42. JDï™ says:

Wish I had a suit like Don’s.

I’ll take, “Things I Never Thought I’d Say” for $3,000,000 Alex.

43. rickithebear says:

Trouba?
    Expansion draft:
    Lucic NMC
    Draisatl
    RNH

Sekera NMC
    Top 30 HSCA; EVGA; PKGA
    Larsson
    Davidson

If we are choosing exposing ebrle or klefbom.
    It aint for aN inferior dman.
    Yo cannot make playoffs with trouba!

44. wf says:

Ryan: Meghan Trainor says, ‘hi.’

Buffalo’s not moving him.

45. steveb12344 says:

speeds:

Yeah, as long as it’s in regulation time. An Ot win, or a loss, then they need Russia to lose in regulation. As long as NA doesn’t lose by more than 3 goals than Russia, or Fin doesn’t win by 5 or 6.

46. rickithebear says:

John Chambers: Versteeg is signed to bridge the Oilers at RW until JP is ready. He’s a stop-gap signing.

Fans want catering to playoff caliber play.
    Not the owners ego.

47. doritogrande says:

I may be a little late to the party, but Nichushkin skipped out of Dallas.

Thank you MacT for drafting the non-flight risk.

48. rickithebear says:

Patrik kane is being forced to play power vs power.
    Rather than 2 nd comp or lower.
    What,s his production like?

49. Ryan says:

wf: Not a Meghan Trainor fan. More along the lines of AC/DC, Dirty deeds done dirt cheap.

Haha. You think I’m a Meghan Trainor fan?

I was just trying to make a point.

If ChiaPete can fix the blue dirt cheap, then I’m all for it.

50. russ99 says:

As exciting as team North America is, that’s how unexciting team USA are.

Bad player selection, bad planning, bad coaching, bad execution.

51. Woogie63 says:

Can we trade the Maroon retained salary (and a player or two) back to the Duck? They might need that cap space ….

52. LadiesloveSmid says:

Woogie63:
    Can we trade the Maroon retained salary (and a player or two) back to the Duck?They might need that cap space ….

what a weird trade for ANA, they must have really not liked him to hold a quarter of his salary for so little

53. Centre of attention says:

Phil KesselVerified account
    ‏@PKessel81
    Just sitting around the house tonight w my dog. Felt like I should be doing something important, but couldn’t put my finger on it.
    7:52 PM – 20 Sep 2016

Kessel throwing some shade tonight, lol.

54. Ducey says:

Chachi: From the CBA:

Looks like JP would count against the 50 man limit in the AHL.

Edit: what moose said.

Bruce, I think 9.1 of the CBA covers the slide rule. I think if he plays less than 10 NHL games he may slide. I am on my phone and can’t figure out how to post it here

55. Jethro Tull says:

Centre of attention:
    Phil KesselVerified account
    ‏@PKessel81
    7:52 PM – 20 Sep 2016

Kessel throwing some shade tonight, lol.

Probably missed dessert.

Perhaps Sid could tell him.

56. Jethro Tull says:

Weren’t slide rules after abacuses but before calculators?

57. digger50 says:

I liked Gryba last year. He strikes me as a smart player in that he knows his skills and his limitations. He knows what his role is and what he has to do to stay in the NHL. This years defence will again benefit from a little more toughness that Gryba provides. And at least he provides more stability in that we know what we are getting.

IT does look like we are now seeing more pieces of Peter C’s plan though he is yet to reveal its entirety. Like others suggest, there feels like something to come.

TMac on the other hand is revealing that he loves to play the heck out of his top six, starring McDavid and the Nuge. I wonder if that continues? Likely and if so Drai may find himself on the wing. Interesting thought, would provide unexpected opportunity for a depth player.

58. Mr DeBakey says:

Centre of attention: Yak for picks may happen simply because the Oilers need to remove a contract from the 50 man in order to add one of Gryba/Versteeg + have waiver flexibility. Either him or Pouliot.

59. digger50 says:

Great job in ape fiction Jethro.

Dam phone autocorrect.

I mean great job in penticton Jethro.

60. Centre of attention says:

Mr DeBakey: You’re not suggesting the Oilers move Pouliot for picks to clear a spot on the 50-contract list so they can sign Vesteeg?

I’m saying the Oilers might do that.

because you know, Oilers.

61. Ryan says:

Centre of attention: I’m saying the Oilers might do that.

because you know, Oilers.

No. Not unless Anaheim has something to offer.

62. Oiln5 says:

Starting to believe JP will flat out earn his place this year. With Versteeg and Hendricks battling for 4th line LW.

Lucic-McDavid-Yakupov
    Pouliot-Nuge-Eberle
    Maroon-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
    Versteeg-Letestu-Kassian
    Hendricks

A guy like Versteeg could do some damage in such a role, rather than breaking even like Hendricks might.

63. Ryan says:

edwin encarnacion

64. Bruce McCurdy says:

The thing about JP that will be hard to resist is that beautiful RH stick in the left circle on the PP. man is that ever a sight for sore eyes

Bruce McCurdy:

66. Centre of attention says:

Ryan: No. Not unless Anaheim has something to offer.

😛 I was being jokingly pessimistic as to what the Oilers will do with either player in order to clear contract space.

I really hope they figure out a way to keep both players. Sorry for the confusion lol.

67. slopitch says:

Ya the beauty thing about the pto is that it buys chai time on other deals. An offer sheet now would be insane. That 7 day decision window would really make things interesting.

68. wheatnoil says:

If a cheap Gryba means no expensive Kris Russell and means Reinhart and Nurse both start in the AHL, I can go with that.

I haven been, and continue to be, down on Gryba for a variety of reasons but…

1) He’s a right hand shot..
    2) Potentially cheap.
    3) Ran >50% corsi with Davidson last year in the third pairing.

We also know Sekera-Fayne ran near 50% as well.

We know that Klefbom ran a >50% corsi playing the toughs, mostly with Schultz and Fayne. Not unreasonable that he could do it with Larsson.

Klefbom – Larsson
    Sekera – Fayne
    Davidson – Gryba
    Musil

That’s three pairs with a reasonable shot at 50% corsi for where they’re playing in the line-up. Musil holds a spot cheaply while…

Nurse – Benning
    Reinhart – Oesterle
    play In the AHL.

Versteeg is the no-brainer if he’s heathy.
    Lucic – McDavid – Yak
    I worry about Lucic and Yak keeping up, but I put them with McDavid. Lucic and McD can carry Yak a bit while also being perfect set-up guys for Yak’s shot. One problem a an all left shot line.

Maroon – Nuge – Ebs
    Nuge and Ebs have a long history of being steller together , even without Hall. Maroon is the weakest of the top 3 LWs but he’s got skill to go with his grit.

Pou – Drai – Versteeg
    Pou is a great winger and good support for Drai playing softer minutes. Versteeg is also veteran winger support.

Hendricks – Letestu – Kassian
    Lander, Beck
    That’s a reasonable 4th line. Kassian can move to middle 6 if necessary during game. Lander subs in to cover a defensive PK injury. Beck has some offensive skill looking to maximize.

Pakarinen stays in AHL to help Puluharvi with language transition.

Call ups include: Puljujarvi, Caggiula, Pakarinen, Slepyshev.

I have no idea what Versteeg may cost but he could keep Pujurjavi from having any chance at hitting his schedule B bonuses, minimize overages.

I still prefer Nakladal to Gryba.

69. Richard S.S. says:

The word out of Anaheim is whatever number Lindholm signs for will be what gets moved out.

70. kinger_OIL says:

wheatnoil,

-This is virtually my roster make-up as well:

Klefbom – Larsson (depends who they go out with. If McD is their C, they should be at least OK)
    Sekera – Fayne (50CF% last year)
    Davidson – Gryba (over 52CF% last year)

– I’d put Pou-RNH-Ebs together, as our most “vet” and complete line, rather than sprinkle it around, and give the other team the decision of which match-up they want to go power vs. power. Plus there is data to suggest loading up lines is optimal.

– Drai is put in the 3rd line with less skilled wingers, but they are vets, and that’s ok.

– Your roster has no rookies, a few guys trying to prove themselves, and enough players that we know who they are. We haven’t had that in years.

– Looking forward to game today I’m at Young Guns vs Sweden: I assume it will be sold out?

71. russ99 says:

Lowetide: I figure the PP will be the final straw. He probably makes the team in the pre-season based on a two-goal game, both goals making the PP look golden.

I’m still a bit pessimistic on JP. He’ll probably not get the space he had for those amazing Penticton goals vs. NHL players. I also think a month or two in the AHL getting used to being challenged for every inch of ice would do him a world of good.

We’ll see.

72. russ99 says:

kinger_OIL,

CF% isn’t what we should be looking at. With another year of McLellan’s systems and our improved roster, our Corsi For should improve regardless of our D-pairing options.

Again, better puck possession won’t make up the difference between a bottom 4 finish and 8th playoff spot this year, HDSC, shots against and goals against will.

When you look at HDSC, Gryba is not a good option.

73. flea says:

steveb12344: Yeah, as long as it’s in regulation time.An Ot win, or a loss, then they need Russia to lose in regulation.As long as NA doesn’t lose by more than 3 goals than Russia, or Fin doesn’t win by 5 or 6.

Two way ties are decided by the head to head record, three way ties are decided by goal differential, and then broken down into two way ties if necessary. So If NA can beat Sweden, and Russia defeats the Finns, it’s a three way tie between Sweden, Russia and Canada for two places. If I’m reading it correctly, it would be broken on goal differential. So the top two goal differential gets through. If two are tied, then it goes to head to head record to break that tie.

If NA loses to Sweden, they would need Finland to beat Russia and then it would go to goal differential between the three teams to decide who gets second place.

Wacky format, there should’ve been a crossover round robin game.

74. Oilspill says:

Perfect example of Karlsson dynamic offensively and blunder defensively. You can get all the shots in the world but when you ditch your defensive responsibilities to jump up offensively it can bite you in the ass.