GROW SOME FUNK OF YOUR OWN

I have maintained all summer that the wise thing to do is send Jesse Puljujarvi to Bakersfield for at least 20 games. The script is already written: Place Kris Versteeg on RW along with Jordan Eberle, Nail Yakupov and Zack Kassian, run those four (and others) whilst the Jolly Finn Giant announces his presence with authority to dazed and confused AHL goalies. That is my position.

In reality, I don’t think he gets 20 games in the AHL, nor 15, nor 10, nor 5. Jesse Puljujarvi is on this train, and this train is bound for glory. That last guy Edmonton drafted in the top 10 overall who was slow played? Steve Kelly.

puljujarvi-young-stars-capture

PROJECTED LINES FOR 2016-17

• Milan Lucic 74gp, 80gp, 20-33-53 0.663; Connor McDavid 78gp, 28-58-86 1.10;  Jordan Eberle 75gp, 29-31-60 0.80.
  • Benoit Pouliot 68gp, 16-22-38 0.559; Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 67gp, 17-28-45 0.672; Jesse Puljujarvi 75gp, 12-24-36 0.480.
  • Patrick Maroon 70gp, 12-20-32 0.457; Leon Draisaitl 76gp, 17-31-48 0.632; Nail Yakupov 66gp, 12-18-30 0.454.

This is using Scott Cullen’s fantasy numbers. He also included Kris Versteeg on his list, suspect that RW battle is going to be interesting in training camp and we may not see the winner crowned until Christmas or later. We do know the winner’s name, though. It’s just a matter of time.

CULT OF HOCKEY VERSUS LOWETIDE

cult-of-hockey-lowetide

My list includes all kinds of players the CofH list does not (my list is here), to the point where it becomes difficult to really see the uniqueness of each list. What I have done here is take the 25 names from the Cult and then ranked those names based on my original list. Some notes:

• As is always the case, the Cult list reflects players closest to being NHL ready, my list tends to reward offense and players with a range of skill—even if they are fresh draft picks.
  • Cult loves the college kids this year (would have been interesting to see Matt Benning’s ranking). My list really likes Caggiula, but is less bullish on Patrick Russell.
  • My list really liked some later 2016 picks and remains devoted to the 2015 blue taken later (Jones, Bear, Paigin, Marino).
  • Only one of us is right about David Musil, there is no middle ground.
  • Filip Berglund appears to be on the SHL team, although there are nine defenders listed. It will be interesting to see how many games he gets in the highest Swedish league this year (5gp one year ago).

This is a fun exercise, Bruce will pop in this morning on the Lowdown and we will discuss the list and other items (like Puljujarvi and his possible role on the Oilers this year).

MACT’S FREE AGENTS

• July 5, 2013—Andrew Ference
  • July 5, 2013—Boyd Gordon
  • July 5, 2013—Jesse Joensuu
  • July 5, 2013—Jason LaBarbera
  • July 5, 2013—Ryan Hamilton
  • July 6, 2013—Richard Bachman
  • July 8, 2013—Denis Grebeshkov
  • July 1, 2014—Benoit Pouliot
  • July 1, 2014—Mark Fayne
  • July 1, 2014—Keith Aulie

How many of these free-agent signings were useful? I think we can all agree that the Benoit Pouliot signing was very astute, and I would argue that Boyd Gordon and Mark Fayne have had their uses while also offering challenges in term and ability to move the contract. I would suggest, respectively, this reflects an inexperienced general manager who was not able to secure acceptable value on investment in the free agent market.

CHIARELLI’S FREE AGENTS

• July 1, 2015—Andrej Sekera
  • July 1, 2015—Mark Letestu
  • July 1, 2016—Milan Lucic
  • July 1, 2016—Mark Fraser
  • July 1, 2016—Jonas Gustavsson
  • July 3, 2016—Taylor Beck
  • September 9, 2016—Kris Versteeg (PTO)

We have less track than the Mact signings, but the big money additions (Sekera, Lucic) are batting higher in the order and were acquired at a younger age than the MacT group. Now, Connor McDavid arrived before any of these signings and that changed everything (I know you will agree). As for the rest, I liked (and like) the Letestu addition and am interested in Beck as an option. As I have mentioned more than once, Gustavsson and Fraser were curious choices to my eye but neither man came at a high cost.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, a fun group! Scheduled to appear, TSN1260:

• Bruce McCurdy, Cult of Hockey. Where does Jesse Puljujarvi fit, Young Stars, CofH top 20, Gryba, Leon.
  • Jeff Krushell, Krush Performance. The Jays are in a sprint and the manager trusts one arm in middle relief. What could go wrong?
  • Brad Gagnon, Bleacher Report. Injuries have impacted the NFL in a big way, and the rookie QB crop impresses early.
  • Marc Majeau, TSN1260. He was at Rogers last night, saw Drake and the building. We will chat about it, along with the Yankees and Jets.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. See you on the radio!

164 Responses to "GROW SOME FUNK OF YOUR OWN"

1. jimmers2 says:

Steve Kelly, eh? Oh boy. And he did some of his “bringing along slowly” with another team…

I wonder if the lowest part of bottoming out is the nadir of actual capacity, or the moment where you have enough retrospective vision to realize just how deeply sewered in Shawshank you were and are?

I hope that Versteeg can make a solid contribution, even if just for a few months. Putting him in the RW lineup anywhere or everywhere makes the whole look more functional. I have to say that PC’S additions do make the whole roster look far better now as we set out on a new season.

2. Woogie63 says:

20 ish games in the AHL will help Puljajarvi.

IMO he needs to work on stoppping and starting vs. Big looping circles to stay goal side of his mark.

And

A couple of months to settle into North American life would be a good play for a 18 year old.

3. 36 percent body fat says:

Shouldnt Chiarelli free agent list read “Connor McDavids free agent List”

4. npanciroli says:

I doubt the Oilers put JP in the AHL at all but it is nice having enough depth to make it an option. Then you can still have 3 scoring lines even through cold streaks and injuries.

5. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I’m with you on this one LT.

Looking at the Cult of Hockey rankings, I get where they are coming from generally, as they seem to place more of a premium on being near the NHL vs. your preference for “range of skills”, at least outside of the “premium” prospects in the top 3….

but then they have Markus Niemelainen at 7, and Bear/Jones at 13/12. Seems like they should have been roughly equal based on draft year performance, and I find it hard to believe that anyone’s opinion of them dropped given their draft +1 performance. I don’t get that one.

6. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Total aside, but how about Phil Kessel with the tweet of the year last night? That was vintage Vancouver Luongo right there. He made a lot of people fans last night and totally burried Team USA management in less than 144 characters. Humor is a powerful tool, wielded with precision right there. Beautiful stuff.

7. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Woogie63,

One thing keeps popping up in my head with this idea. From a hockey standpoint I understand why JP should start the year in the AHL, however can anyone with a straight face make the case that Bakersfield California is a better place to “get a handle on North American life” than Edmonton Alberta?

8. 36 percent body fat says:

I hate when someone hits the post and the commentators say he beat the goalie. He did not. Last time I checked you didnt get a goal for hitting the post. As well it is not the goalies job to stop pucks from hitting the post.

9. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

Loved it!

I have a soft spot for Phil. I always thought he got a bizarrely rough treatment in TO when all he wanted to do was hangout and play hockey. Not everyone can handle the spotlight and some guys just want to play and head home.

10. Doug McLachlan says:

Just to revisit the Gryba PTO post from yesterday night, if Bear and Jones can both slide presuming they go back to Junior then the Oilers have 46 contracts. Sign both Versteeg and Gryba and they are at 48. Still space to sign a waiver pick-up or two if desired.

Question has to do with Ference and Yakimov. Does Ference’s placement on LTIR create a space on the 50 man list? Does Yakimov’s loan to the KHL create a space? Have tried to figure out the rules from the CBA and can’t seem to figure it out.

11. G Money says:

I think the post-McDavid-ELC cap and current rookie bonus overage situation has the Oilers rightfully concerned.

JP will get his 9 games, but assuming Versteeg’s knee survives his PTO, he’ll get signed – and it will be all about finding a credible reason to keep JP on the farm until there are fewer than 32 games of the NHL season left.

At that point, JP will have miraculously “familiarized himself with the North American game” enough to make the big club.

That’s assuming he does well in his pre-season and 9 game stint. If he doesn’t, if his numbers look on par with Rantanen’s (whose scoring was basically identical in the SM-Liiga), then another season in Finland is probably the right prescription.

12. Jaxon says:

Broken record, here. I’m going to move LaLeggia, Slepyshev and Nick Ellis way up and Bear a bit up. I put emphasis on points production, the lack of speed concerns in scouting reports, career comparables, and potential.

1. Puljujarvi – I think he’s be a number one in most years.
    2. Paigin – NHLE of 48pts in Sochi last season and 6’6″, 210lbs. Drafted 209th. Wow.
    3. Benson – Almost granted exceptional status. Would have been just the 3rd forward after McDavid and Tavares to be granted that distinction. Blew the doors off Alberta Bantam AAA records. Crappy team and injuries hurt his draft position to Edmonton’s luck.
    4. Bear – NHLE of 27 pts in the playoffs last year as a 19 year old puts him in elite territory.
    5. Ellis – his career trajectory closely matches Brian Elliott’s. .936 SV% is better than almost any NHL goalies who went through the college system (Quick, Schneider, Talbot, Howard, Bishop)
    6. LaLeggia – his NHLE of 32 and 36 pts in college and top rookie pts in Bakersfield even when not getting the minutes he should have behind Oesterle and Hunt with a 19pts in 23 game stretch toward the end of the season. I think he’ll get back on track with good comparisons to Alex Goligoski this year.
    7. Caggiula – I think his upside is probably Cam Atkinson (hopefully), downside is probably JT Brown or Justin Fontaine, which is still nothing to sneeze at for a free pickup.
    8. Slepyshev – has developed slowly, but I still think he has the potential to put up big numbers this season and show everyone why he was 1st overall KHL draft pick and got a chance to start in the NHL last season.
    9. Berglund – I really liked this pick. As a big, scoring, right-handed D, he will get good chances to move up the ladder in the future.
    10. Jones – his left-hand shot may work against him unless Edmonton finally unloads a few. Seems he was underrated in his draft season and living in his brother’s shadow. If he takes a step forward this season, he may force the issue.
    11. Khaira – as much as I like his tenacity and I am rooting for Khaira, I’m not sure he’ll ever find enough offence to seriously challenge for a roster spot on a good, deep NHL team.
    12. Rasanen – I’m really interested to see how he does this season.

13. kinger_OIL says:

36 percent body fat:
    I hate when someone hits the post and the commentators say he beat the goalie.He did not. Last time I checked you didnt get a goal for hitting the post. As well it is not the goalies job to stop pucks from hitting the post.

– When I played hockey, one year, our goaltender after one hit the post: I skated up to him and said him: “man that was lucky”, his response was:”that’s all I gave him”!

– So for the rest of my hockey, I would always go to the goalie after one goes off the post and say: “that’s all you gave them!”. We would always chuckle, and it was a fun thing. Or if I was on the bench, whoever the goalie was would look over and we’d grin at each other: I can visualize it crystal clear right now as I type, those fun exchanges and grins.

– Hadn’t thought about that in awhile: thanks for rekindling it!

14. Ducey says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Woogie63,

I think that’s a small part of it.

He will be making $70,000 plus signing bonus on the farm. He will be making over $1 million in the NHL. The NHL money is a lot of cash for a 19 yr old.

In Bakersfield he will be able to walk down the street and no one will pay much attention. That’s a good thing.

In Bakersfield he will get more practice time, play against less skilled players, and build his confidence.

In Edmonton he gets put in the pressure cooker right away. If he screws up or struggles, its on the TV, Twitter, and on the front of the sports page. It didn’t work for Leon, it has not worked for Yak or Schultz.

15. Hall Awaits says:

Puljujarvi has already made this team weather people want to believe that or not. Yakupov is gone.

16. kinger_OIL says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

– This exchange: nice to see Kessel’s fun side (he’s a better goal scorer than Taylor Hall *ducks*)

17. Side says:

Hall Awaits:

Those weather people.

Always so skeptical.

18. russ99 says:

Hall Awaits:

I remain unconvinced. Better to make a call on something other than playing against rookies where he’s obviously playing at a higher level than them and should be crushing them.

Besides, that wide swerving goal would never happen against NHL opposition.

19. Ducey says:

G Money:

That’s assuming he does well in his pre-season and 9 game stint.If he doesn’t, if his numbers look on par with Rantanen’s (whose scoring was basically identical in the SM-Liiga), then another season in Finland is probably the right prescription.

I am not sure its a big problem.

With full bonuses for Connor, Leon, JP, Nurse they are under the cap with Ference’s contract. Per Capfriendly those full bonuses equal $8.6 M. They have $8.9 M in cap space but Pak and Oesterle would likely be sent down if Gryba and Versteeg signed, saving another $1.3 M

If they sign Gryba and Versteeg for $3.25 M (Ferences salary) then they are still under the cap when Ference goes on LTIR.

The LTIR doesn’t come off the cap but allows them to exceed the cap, if necessary, to the amount of the LTIR player’s salary.

The only thing I can’t figure out is how they treat the bonuses up front.

Most players are unlikely to hit all their bonuses anyway.

I think they are good, but am not an expert by any means.

20. Ducey says:

Hall Awaits:

Where’d he go?

21. LadiesloveSmid says:

Let Pulju play 20 games in BAK, and if he’s outperforming Yak/Vertseeg then call him up.

Fast and up, let him grasp the language a bit on the smaller stage

22. Louis Levasseur says:

A bit off topic, but when I watch Seth Jones play, which admittedly isn’t often, I don’t get the hype. He seems to struggle with decision making and pressure in his own end. I’m not saying he’s bad, but I just don’t get why he is deemed to be a sure fire top pairing defenceman, if not now then in the near future.

Coupled with that, we seem to pick apart Nurse’s game, yet they seem to have the same attributes, except from what I see, Nurse skates better and is definitely nastier. Maybe we are too hard on our own.

23. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Ducey,

Agree with points one and three

Point two: Have you seen that kid’s grin? He’ll soak up the limelight in Edmonton so I’m not really worried about that.

Point Four: Point taken but a couple of qualifiers. Schultz was brought in as a Norris defensemen and was given Norris minutes, Yak was given the Dementor and Leon was given “two centres and mud.” The media may go after him but I’m sure they will be just as interested in quizzing and grilling CmD, Lucic and Larsson if thing go off the rails much quicker than they will come after PJ.

I understand the financial and hockey reasons for sending him down but the others I dunno if they hold water.

LadiesloveSmid,

I do agree with the language issue but again I don’t know if thats enough to keep him off the roster “if he plays hockey well enough to make the big club.”

Anyone else excited that tomorrow morning we get to stop all the speculation? I know I am, training camp! hockey! Moar Bigger Oilers!!! Woot woot

24. Ronald Chevalier says:

Ducey,

Maybe Mike Sobel knows

25. Oil2Oilers says:

Puljujarvi will play in the NHL for all 82 games because it is safe to do so. Austin Matthews is guaranteed the Calder.

I am not over Gretzky’s Calder snub. Five more cups and I may stop bitching about McDavid’s loss to a senior citizen. maybe

26. Frank the dog says:

Hall Awaits:

I don’t think so. I suspect Yak will start on CMD’s right wing, Ebs on Nuge’s RW, either Versteeg or Poolparty on Drai’s RW.
    Chia needs to get more value from Yak than he can at present. Anyone except Hall increases in value on CMD’s wing and Yak did as well as anybody in that position.
    Poo-Nuge-Ebs work well together, and a Maroon-Drai-Poolparty line would give other 3rd lines and bottom 4 D fits. Perhaps Versteeg when PJ is in Bakersfield.

27. Little Poteet says:

Oil2Oilers,

CMD got his Calder bonus because he was a finalist. Mathews can win and JP could still get his bonus money

28. A-Frame says:

36 percent body fat,

I agree – hitting the post doesn’t count as a shot on goal either!… at the NHL level it is a game of inches or less, in many cases the goalie was close enough they would have stopped the puck had it been on net.

29. Oil2Oilers says:

Yak will score 30 goals this year, I heard it in the wind.

30. Protagonist says:

Bob McKenzie described the Oilers as an “Out of the Playoffs Tire Fire” in his preview video. Rings true sadly: http://www.tsn.ca/video/training-camp-preview-will-the-oilers-be-better~955411

31. Oil2Oilers says:

Little Poteet:
    Oil2Oilers,

Good to know. If the team has to account for the bonuses against the Cap this 3d tier fan is happy enough for Katz to actually pay them. We would not want poor Connor having to dip into his Canadian Tire money just yet.

32. Doug McLachlan says:

Can’t see how they don’t put JP into the show from the start and keep him there. Usually the reason to put a player into the AHL (or back to Junior) is so he can work on the 200ft element of his game – that is already a huge part of Pulijujarvi’s game.

33. leadfarmer says:

I dont see how a guy that was relatively sheltered at 16 1/2 min per game in the Finnish league is ready for the NHL without transition time. Todd is going to lose his voice screaming at him about taking wide turns. He had 27 shots 5v5 last year. As shiny as the new toy is, it is not yet Christmas. If it was up to me he would play in a lower league with the goals of being a top player in that league whether its in finland or AHL

34. Drew says:

leadfarmer:
    I dont see how a guy that was relatively sheltered at 16 1/2 min per game in the Finnish league is ready for the NHL without transition time.Todd is going to lose his voice screaming at him about taking wide turns.He had 27 shots 5v5 last year.As shiny as the new toy is, it is not yet Christmas. If it was up to me he would play in a lower league with the goals of being a top player in that league whether its in finland or AHL

Oh piffle, 1st line top powerplay at minimum.
    ~~~

35. flea says:

Protagonist:

36. Protagonist says:

flea: Bit of context here, that was his description for the team over the last 10 years (which is true). He wasn’t calling this year’s team a tire fire.

Oh yeah. I thought I typed that out. I didn’t mean to imply that he thinks they will be terrible. I’m writing a few things while I was posting that, so I must have thought real hard about adding that context and never did, haha. Maybe I should check my code for a random sentence somewhere, 😀

37. wheatnoil says:

I’m a huge Puljujarvi fan, but I think the AHL is an excellent starting place. Let’s keep in mind that he was 7th on his SM-Liiga team in points last year. He’s a fantastic prospect, but he wasn’t the main offensive weapon on his SM-Liiga team… we shouldn’t expect him to excel in a feature role this year on an NHL team.

Now, he MIGHT excel… I just don’t think it’s good practice to expect it. If he’s blowing the doors out of the AHL, great. THEN call him up.

38. dustrock says:

leadfarmer:

Thank you.

Each year, after Penticton, we start anointing the new savior.

I too loved his top cheddar goal, but that’s a men’s league goal, not an NHL goal. He is going to be a fantastic player and could even surprise in preseason and the first 9 games, but that doesn’t mean that he should pay 82 games here.

39. Caramel Batman says:

Keeping Puljujarvi in the NHL costs you a waiver eligible player. If you keep him in the AHL, even if it is only until the first injury, you effectively gain a roster spot for free.

In addition to the contractual reasons for starting him in the AHL this is how you maintain depth, by using waivers to your advantage.

No matter what happens in camp I’d start him in the AHL and then fill in the last spot on the roster with the best player I could find from the waiver wire.

40. digger50 says:

In regards to Puljujarvi, would posters here also reccomend Mathews and Laine start in the AHL? Curious.

41. John Chambers says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    Total aside, but how about Phil Kessel with the tweet of the year last night?That was vintage Vancouver Luongo right there.He made a lot of people fans last night and totally burried Team USA management in less than 144 characters.Humor is a powerful tool, wielded with precision right there. Beautiful stuff.

He’ll coach college hockey from now on.

42. G Money says:

dustrock,

Every single year people anoint a player (or players) as NHL-ready, and better than actual NHL players, based on being a Young Stars or pre-season hero.

Despite that players own history suggesting a longer and more difficult path, and despite years of NHL history indicating emphatically that neither Young Stars nor pre-season in any way remotely resemble NHL calibre of play.

So strange.

43. dustrock says:

G Money:
    dustrock,

So strange.

I WANT TO BELIEVE ALL THIS MADNESS SERVES A PURPOSE

IS THE GOD OF HOCKEY NOT A JUST GOD?

Well, he wasn’t a great coach, anyway.

44. ChiliChunk says:

John Chambers: John Tortorella’s NHL career will have officially ended when the US’ game finishes. No way anyone bothers to take the baggage that comes with Torts.

He’ll coach college hockey from now on.

You mean other than being the current head coach in Columbus? 🙂

Doug McLachlan:
    Just to revisit the Gryba PTO post from yesterday night, if Bear and Jones can both slide presuming they go back to Junior then the Oilers have 46 contracts.Sign both Versteeg and Gryba and they are at 48.Still space to sign a waiver pick-up or two if desired.

Question has to do with Ference and Yakimov.Does Ference’s placement on LTIR create a space on the 50 man list?Does Yakimov’s loan to the KHL create a space?Have tried to figure out the rules from the CBA and can’t seem to figure it out.

Ference and Yakimov count against the 50-contract limit, unless Ference retires or Yakiimov’s contract is cancelled. I don’t see Ference forfeiting $3.25 million. And Yakimov is still a tradeable asset that should return a draft pick.

46. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

He’ll coach college hockey from now on.

I’d be surprised if the Blue Jackets fired him. What I’m surprised by is how much flak he gets, while Dean Lombardi slips right by.

Lombardi is a bigger culprit here than torts. Part of the problem? He picked Torts.

47. Oiln5 says:

Is it really too much to expect JP to handle 3rd line minutes with Drai, and one of Maroon/Versteeg? I don’t think it is personally. We have some legit depth now, and we could properly break in a single rook without too much trouble I’d think. We’re not throwing him to the wolves like in seasons past. I think we could argue we’d be putting JP in the best possible situation to succeed.

That said, a wise patient man would likely find a way to season him for one more year. Tough call really. We wait.

48. Steelbladez18 says:

Hey LT do you know if there’s any way to watch the Oilers vs Golden Bears game online tonight? Thanks

49. Steelbladez18 says:

wheatnoil,

Yeah 7th on his team as a 17 yo

50. Doug McLachlan says:

godot10,

Thanks. Still that puts the Oilers at 46 (with Bear and Jones sliding) so even without a trade that still gives some flexibility to sign Gryba and Versteeg while still being open to a waiver pick-up.

51. Caramel Batman says:

digger50:
    In regards to Puljujarvi, would posters here also reccomend Mathews and Laine start in the AHL?Curious.

Puljujarvi isn’t in the same league as them as a player. They have more in common with McDavid than they do Puljujarvi. Expectations meet reasonable.

52. Pouzar says:

G Money:
    dustrock,

So strange.

This.

And history is on my side on the AHL vs Liiga debate and both are comparable leagues too.
    Liiga produces NHL FINNS Full stop no matter how much we beat the AHL drum.

But alas, come on down JP, it’s the HFOiler way.

53. JDï™ says:

Steelbladez18:

54. Derek says:

ChiliChunk: You mean other than being the current head coach in Columbus?

The very same one who benched his two Bluejackets players in the effort against Team Canada. Where ever Torts goes, comedy follows.

55. Coffeys_Messy_eh says:

Protagonist:

“YOU-har kuh-HAR-a”? That’s a new one on me.

56. Kitchener says:

Brainstorming a Winnipeg:Edmonton trade. What additions might make this deal appealing to both teams?

Winnipeg trades: Trouba

Edmonton trades: Yakupov + one of Nurse/Reinhart/Davidson

EDIT: I think Winnipeg would need to add a very good piece, but I’m nowhere near neutral.

57. Quinlan says:

Caramel Batman: Mathews and Laine dominated in the world championships and are playing well in the World Cup.

Puljujarvi isn’t in the same league as them as a player.They have more in common with McDavid than they do Puljujarvi.Expectations meet reasonable.

I don’t think the gap is that great, and it certainly did not look like that was the case at the World Juniors. He looked at least as good as Laine, if not better, and better than Matthews, IMO.

Hard to fault him for injury.

I really disagree with your idea that they’re closer to McDavid than to JP. It’s actually bizarre that you’d throw that out there. On what basis would you make that claim?

At the most, JP is an unknown; but truthfully, so are the other two. JP is an unknown to a greater degree? Okay, but that hardly proves your point. To suggest they’re closer to McDavid than to Puljujarvi takes a DSF like leap in logic.

58. wheatnoil says:

Steelbladez18:
    wheatnoil,

Yeah 7th on his team as a 17 yo

He’s a fantastic prospect, no doubt.

Doesn’t mean as an 18 year old he’s ready to take on a feature role in a much tougher league.

He might be. My only point is I’d try him out in the AHL first. It’s not like he’s coming in after destroying the SM-Liiga and is clearly too good for that league or the AHL.

59. Doug McLachlan says:

I’ve started and erased more than a half-dozen different line-up combinations this morning alone.

Pouliot – McDavid – Yakupov

I still like pairing McDavid with Pouliot and Yakupov but accept, grudgingly, that this won’t happen. Yak has to “earn it” and Lucic will have to show that it can’t work. Still, last year’s small sample size was impressive to me in terms of maximizing what you have.

Lucic – Nugent-Hopkins – Eberle

I think that Nuge’s similarities to the Bruins’ Krejci and history with Eberle make this a potential monster of a line. McDavid’s line will always be our top trio but there will be many nights where the lion’s share of the points will be with these three.

Maroon – Draisaitl – Versteeg/Pulijujarvi

The Oilers are reticent to let players over-ripen in the AHL – however wise that might be – but if PoolParty can click with Leon while playing the “softs” he could have a fun season. So impressed with Leon’s coming out party at the WCH, hope it translates into a great year centering the third line.

Hendricks – Letestu – Kassian

Strangely I haven’t seen too many questions about the fourth liners – which is normally where this site’s comment section expends a LOT of its effort. The problem with the Letestus of the world is not their skill set but playing that skill set too far up the roster. With Lander, Pakarinen and even Versteeg all available we may finally have some forward depth. How’s that for a change?

60. SOS says:

Bit the bullet and picked up some tickets to the game Oilers Rookies v. Golden Bears tonight despite the hefty price tag.

Will be watching JP closely of course, but also Benning, Ellis, Caggiula, and Benson if he’s playing. I’m curious to see how they stack up to the heavy game the Bears utilize.

I’ll try to provide a breakdown and my perspective on the prospects later tonight or tomorrow (no promises though) 🙂

61. npanciroli says:

Watch him in the pre-season, if he is looking good enough, play him 9 games in the NHL, still looking good? Play him more in the NHL. If he doesn’t at any point, AHL.

Don’t need to have a hard stance on him just yet. Let’s see what he can do.

Everything else is just guesswork as to how NHL ready he is at this point.

62. Caramel Batman says:

Quinlan: I disagree with this. Puljujarvi didn’t have the opportunity to play in the World Championships – wasn’t he injured? Even if he wasn’t, national teams rarely take the BPA. Also, with Barkov as his center, it’s hard to say that JP wouldn’t have excelled.

Hard to fault him for injury.

Come now, these guys have track records.

Puljujarvi was the #4 overall pick, scoring at about half the rate as Barkov in his draft year. His closest comparable is Mikko Rantanen with a better scouting report. To say that he didn’t have the opportunity is disengeneous. He played in comparable leagues as Laine and Mathews and didn’t play as well.

Now, perhaps they are going to peak early and he’ll turn out to be the better player in the long run, but that wasn’t the question. The question was whether Mathews and Laine are analogous to Puljujarvi, and they aren’t. Puljujarvi is in the Dubois, Tkachuk, category.

63. G Money says:

dustrock: I WANT TO BELIEVE ALL THIS MADNESS SERVES A PURPOSE

IS THE GOD OF HOCKEY NOT A JUST GOD?

Well, he wasn’t a great coach, anyway.

Heh heh, this may be the most divine response to my post that it is possible to make!

64. npanciroli says:

Is there a place that tracks ice time for SM liiga? Curious what Laine, Barkov and JP all got their draft years.

65. Quinlan says:

Caramel Batman,

How did Laine play better? Curious.

Their numbers are very similar.

Laine
    Reg. Season: 46 GP, 17G 16A 33 PTS
    Playoffs: 18 GP, 10 G, 5A, 15 PTS

Puljujarvi
    Reg. Season: 50GP, 13G, 15A, 28 PTS
    Playoffs: 10GP, 4G, 5A, 9 PTS

That looks pretty comparable to me. One might even expect Laine’s to be higher, given he was evidently on a better team.

66. npanciroli says:

Quinlan,

Yeah, Barkov had a nuts season. Laine and JP actually look similar.

67. tsg says:

Doug McLachlan,

This is the forward lineup I’ve settled on myself at the moment. Especially after watching RNH in the world cup with Mackinnon and Scheifele. He could do wonders with Eberle and Lucic this year.

Longer term I wonder about how Mackinnon and Puljujarvi compare in terms of style of play, both extremely fast, fairly big, skilled and smart. I wonder how well a RNH, Puljujarvi combo would do in the future.

68. G Money says:

Nothing about the idea that JP may take some time to find his way in the NHL should be construed as pessimism about his long term prospects as an NHL player.

Most 3OVs (which is what I think of him as even though he was actually a 4OV) take at least half a year to make it to the NHL.

Dylan Strome spent the year in the OHL after putting up 129 pts in 68 games in his draft year.

That Draisaitl kid? Spent time back in Jr as well as the AHL (although being the Oilers, they got it bass ackwards and let him twist in the NHL for half a season before sending him back).

How about that Drouin at the World Cup? Year in Jr.

Galchenyuk spent half the season in Jr.

Huberdeau spent two years.

See the point? I’m quite certain all of these kids are going to be NHL players, and a few of them – maybe all of them – are going to be stars.

In JP’s case, despite his stellar Jr World Cup and Young Stars game, his numbers in the SM-Liiga (28 pts in 50 games) do not scream that he’s ready for the NHL yet.

He also has a history of streakiness – all the scouts remember his brilliant World Cup run, but most seem to forget he went back and put up 2 pts in 12 games.

Unless he conclusively demonstrates otherwise, which would not be in keeping with his development path to date, you should expect he’ll take some time to make his way to the NHL.

69. npanciroli says:

This has some points per stats in it.

Laine ahead in most categories except for possession metrics.

Still close to me tho.

3.03 to 2.64 pts/60

70. zatch says:

While NHL 17 should not be used as a serious prognosticator in any way, in my franchise mode I have Puljujarvi firmly in Bakersfield, where he’s leading the AHL in scoring with a line of 16-7-11-18 so far.

Hard to not call him up but I want him to win the Calder and will wait until the next season.

71. LMHF#1 says:

SOS:

Sarcasm?

McDavid splits the defense, damn near scores, brilliant play by Matthews, seconds later Matthews cashes. Seconds after that, a penalty shot that does not cash. Seconds after THAT, 2-0 NA. My word.

73. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Seconds after that Connor with another breakaway, doesn’t score, draws a penalty.

74. G Money says:

What’s that word?

Oh yeah: ridonkulous.

75. JDï™ says:

Johnny’s poor penalty shot attempt was surprising. This could be 3 – 0 right now.

76. Drew says:

at work, how to stream???

Please please 🙁

Drew: at work, how to stream???

Please please 🙁

I fear I have no answer for you. Anyone? Bueller?

78. linkfromhyrule says:

*sigh* why does the NHL hate its fans? Why would they be playing this game so damn early when most people are still at work?! It’s ridiculous. I’m sure the ratings for this game are going to be awesome…..

79. JDï™ says:

Drew,

There are good streams in that link. Don’t post streams directly please.

80. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Brutal goal by Gibson

81. JDï™ says:

linkfromhyrule,

Well, it’s 9:30 pm in Sweden right now, if that internet clock thingy is correct.

82. G Money says:

If you have a cable package with Sportsnet, I thought you could just sign in and watch the SN feed, no?

Not doing that now so can’t verify, but have done it in the past for various sporps.

83. Drew says:

JDï™:
    Drew,

There are good streams in that link. Don’t post streams directly please.

thank you!

84. JDï™ says:

Team NA needs to get that Swarm™ going again.

85. wheatnoil says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Brutal goal by Gibson

Seemed like it was tipped, no?

86. stevezie says:

Watching the game on tape delay. Oh my word.

I’m sorry we won’t get to see this team destroying the Americans

87. Drew says:

Despite the misplay with the puck,if i squint Pareyko looks like a young Pronger.

88. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Johnny Hockey with an absolutely brutal turnover at the redline results in a power play for Swedes.

TMac needs to tell his defensemen to stop chasing. Getting sucked out of position routinely ever since that 1st Swedish power play. Some very antsy feet out there right now

89. G Money says:

The EV defense is a little dodgy at times, but the PK has been outstanding.

RNH is kind of the reverse Gagner – always head on a swivel and always trying to anticipate so as to work to and stay in a good defensive position.

90. Bruce McCurdy says:

Eichel intercepts a breakaway pass to McDavid. Thanks pal

91. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Nad Johnny Hockey makes up for his turnover and missed penalty shot

92. wheatnoil says:

Bruce McCurdy:
    Eichel intercepts a breakaway pass to McDavid.Thanks pal

I was thinking, when I saw that… when Eichel is the weak link on your line, you have a ridiculous forward line.

93. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

That was a weak weak call. Two minutes for bodychecking on Ghost Bear

94. G Money says:

What is now vintage Gaudreau I’d say – hangs by the blue line and leaves the rest of the four guys to do the defensive dirty work hoping they can get the puck back and get it to him … and when they do get it, lil Cocky’s off on a breakaway. (so what if it costs a whole bunch, the game is all about individual glory, right?)

95. G Money says:

Are the refs Swedish? A penalty for bodychecking to Ghostbear, but RNH gets mugged in the corner and that’s OK.

The Swedish Ref – hur de vur penaltuvur.

96. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

G Money,

Ya Johnny got hogtied on that last play and nothing

97. Drew says:

G Money:

Is that the P. Bure zone exit strategy?

98. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Three breakaways this period for McDavid

99. RexLibris says:

G Money:

I’d love to agree but…

…for the last few years I have argued points from the perspective of “reason” – and have been burned almost every time.

So, with that in mind, while all the most reasonable arrows appear to point towards signing Versteeg and putting Puljujarvi in the AHL (BecauseLogic), I’m girding myself for a trade to clear cap and roster space because they let Versteeg go to another team and feel Puljujarvi is NHL-ready.

*sigh*

100. dustrock says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Three breakaways this period for McDavid

Guess he’s had some mentoring from Hall after all.

101. Drew says:

dustrock: Guess he’s had some mentoring from Hall after all.

🙁

102. RexLibris says:

G Money:

Glad to see others are noticing this.

All the crap that Hall got in his first few years (and arguably still gets) about being an 80 foot forward and having no defense/backchecking game deserves to be directed at Gaudreau, but nobody will because he’s Johnny Hockey!

103. The Trade Guy says:

dustrock: Guess he’s had some mentoring from Hall after all.

Amen. Complete with the lack of finish 😛

104. RexLibris says:

The Trade Guy: Amen. Complete with the lack of Finnish

Fixed

105. wheatnoil says:

Gaudreau has been a beautiful cherry-picking bastard in this game.

106. wheatnoil says:

McDavid making something from nothing. Again.

107. Pouzar says:

had no clue the game was on in the afternoon.

FACK

108. RexLibris says:

I’m reading the boxscore from work.

Numbers look like an even start but NA is starting to take control.

109. Little Poteet says:

RexLibris,

game isn’t as close as the numbers suggest. Sweden has carried play for maybe 10 minutes

110. wheatnoil says:

RexLibris:
    I’m reading the boxscore from work.

Numbers look like an even start but NA is starting to take control.

First 10 minutes -> All NA
    Then Sweden pushed back + got a ton of powerplays.
    Sweden kept pressing early in the second but then NA took over and they’ve been getting chance after chance.
    Hank is the reason the game is close.

111. matt says:

Four thoughts:

1. Whatever lineup will win the most games soonest, so as to make the playoffs and avoid embarrassment, should dictate the starting lineup. The call on JP can wait 9 games if need be. This logic affects Reinhart and Musil too. I expect one of them to be part of a package.

2. If JP’s superiority over Versteeg or Yakupov is not well established early and conclusively, then send him down for cap reasons.

3. If Versteeg and Yakupov are winning games but JP is making the AHL cry, then put Yak on McDavid’s line to pump and dump.

4. Versteeg on Draisatl’s line is likely a good thing for Draisatl’s development.

112. Little Poteet says:

Nick Kypreos is turning into Don Cherry. Talking loudly and repeating words, not full sentences

113. RexLibris says:

wheatnoil: First 10 minutes -> All NA
    Then Sweden pushed back + got a ton of powerplays.
    Hank is the reason the game is close.

Thanks.

Can’t even see the twitter highlights right now.

No I’m not suffering withdrawal! Who said so?! I’ll cut yer eyes out, ya knave!

114. RexLibris says:

Little Poteet:
    RexLibris,

Thanks. I forgot to set the PVR too.

Dammit!

115. JDï™ says:

Little Poteet: Talking loudly and repeating words, not full sentences

I blame Jim Cummins.

116. JDï™ says:

RexLibris,

There’s usually a replay stream put up on reddit later. Check reddit.com/r/nhlstreams

117. wheatnoil says:

RexLibris: Thanks. I forgot to set the PVR too.

Dammit!

Aren’t you using Gamecentre for your refs tracking project? It’s on there.

118. RexLibris says:

wheatnoil: Aren’t you using Gamecentre for your refs tracking project? It’s on there.

Ha, no. I use SN. The commentary acts as a cauterizing agent on the open wounds of reviewing poor officiating.

119. Drew says:

Saw #14 Couturier really bad on the goal against sequence. did a lot of waving at events.

120. JDï™ says:

McDavid puts the puck into Hedman’s skates, and then goes around him.

121. wheatnoil says:

Drew:

It was a beauty shot and deflection, though.

Damn. NA needs this in regulation.

122. Drew says:

wheatnoil: It was a beauty shot and deflection, though.

Damn. NA needs this in regulation.

Yes it was, the events leading up to it though, there were numerous chances to clear and i was trying to track numbers and 14 had his cuts but was not effective seemed flat footed. Not trying to push him under the bus but…

123. dustrock says:

more bullshit reffing.

McDavid blows by Anton “Pylon” Stralman and they call McDavid on holding the stick.

124. Drew says:

trying to understand the penalty call here???

looked like he threw Stralam out of his way???

125. Ice Sage says:

I’m glad #97 is pacing himself for this season

126. JDï™ says:

dustrock: more bullshit reffing.

Two minutes rest, and he’ll be looking for a pass coming out of the box!

127. Little Poteet says:

UNfortunately, the ref’s didnt get the memo that its ok for “cagey vets” to lose if they get outplayed

128. Drew says:

observation, does Jones have room to improve offensive instincts?

129. The Trade Guy says:

I’m glad Mcdavid is getting the snake bitten part of his game out of his system.

130. Ice Sage says:

Glad I watched that – fun!

131. OilClog says:

If the reasoning for Poolparty to start in the minors is to acclimate himself to North America, someone needs to be shot for making that decision.

If the reasoning is because he was beat out by 4 superior players on the RW, fantastic.

He was 7th on his team in scoring, while taking time away to play in various international tournaments, his numbers after the world jrs are fantastic, his playoffs were everything Laine produced.

Didn’t he outplay both Laine and Matthews in international play?

Unles injury he will get his 9 games, with the heavy home sched, sitting him on the road games and stretching out those 9 games may be the ingredient at first.

132. Younger Oil says:

Good God the refs were a joke that OT.

133. OilClog says:

Wow what a overtime

134. The Trade Guy says:

That last minute of hockey was unreal. Bettman must hate it.

135. JDï™ says:

That save in OT was Gibson’s Finest.

Wiser clap

136. dustrock says:

Great pace to that OT.

Quick thoughts – not convinced McDavid is faster, but he is definitely stronger.

Nuge – back to Seek And Destroy Nuge

Seth Jones – like his shot on offence, didn’t like his decision-making on D. Could say the same about Trouba. Rielly looks by far like the best D-man now that Ekblad is gone.

137. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I enjoyed watching team NA, but frankly I want Russia to beat Finland clean and send them home. I want a Canada vs. Sweden or Russia final.

The Oilers have no players on those teams. It’s been fun, now I want McDavid, Nuge, and Drai back for camp and preseason.

North America goes home with a 2-1 record having beaten two very good teams and having barely lost to the Russians. Heads held high and all that, but home in time for dinner. That’s the best case scenario in my book.

138. Drew says:

defensive awareness in that overtime was numbing…

139. oilinthepeg says:

How about that Goudreau kid, though. Lordy.

140. Drew says:

oilinthepeg:
    How about that Goudreau kid, though. Lordy.

yea with him on the ice you either win or lose right now. no next shift.

141. Caramel Batman says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    I enjoyed watching team NA, but frankly I want Russia to beat Finland clean and send them home.I want a Canada vs. Sweden or Russia final.

The Oilers have no players on those teams.It’s been fun, now I want McDavid, Nuge, and Drai back for camp and preseason.

North America goes home with a 2-1 record having beaten two very good teams and having barely lost to the Russians.Heads held high and all that, but home in time for dinner.That’s the best case scenario in my book.

What is wrong with you? A North America/Canada final would be the best thing in hockey in a generation.

142. Drew says:

Come on Korpikowski, just the game of your life and NA is in…

errrr….

oh well it was fun while it lasted.

143. blackadder says:

dustrock: Chiarelli – no moustache. It’s Business, it’s Business Time! I’m putting on my business socks, you know it’s Business Time.

Must be Wednesday.

144. Caramel Batman says:

And the officiating in this game has reminded me of yet another reason why the Oilers have no chance this season.

Guys with good reputations get the calls every single time in the NHL. I’m already seeing red for the first time Yakupov gets an embellishment call for being young and Russian.

145. Doug McLachlan says:

Caramel Batman: What is wrong with you?A North America/Canada final would be the best thing in hockey in a generation.

Exactly!

The only way to return hockey to “fun” is to absolutely crush the dead-puck game with the run and gun.

Go Suomi!

146. commonfan14 says:

Given that this CAN-EUR game is totally meaningless, it would be great if Babcock and and Ralph agreed for both coaching staffs to not show up.

Just leave it to the players.

147. Caramel Batman says:

I imbue everything with moral significance so I’m having a hard time belng balanced about this, but in my opinion the game between Finland and Russia is a battle between good and evil.

Right now the forces of good are losing, but you can only live in this world if you believe that good will prevail, sooner or later.

Now evil took a nice hit with Tortorella’s loss yesterday. But he’s not the serious face of evil. He’s clown evil.

What I’d like to see is for North America to defeat stodgy, old, Canada. That would be so, so Good.

148. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I know, I know, I’m the worst.

It’s been fun, now I just want them home before they get hurt.

I’m selfish. I hope everyone else’s stars get banged up in that 3 game final, and our boys can take advantage and start the season off with a few extra wins.

149. stevezie says:

What an amazing game. Coach liked Eichel better than i did and Jones doesn’t seem that special but otherwise beautiful. Karlsson is amazing and not a turnstile, i hope i will hear less of that.

Too many guys raised their stock to name them all.

Between the Americans losing and NaT (and their style) flourishing (especially with the fans) this tournament could be the best thing to happen to hockey since… well, a long long time.

150. oilinthepeg says:

stevezie,

Agreed. Fantastic tournament so far. The NA Russia match was one of the best I can remember.

151. stevezie says:

America losing was good, but not just because they are gritty. Canada is gritty too, we just had talented grit. So it was good we beat them.

But it is also good they lost, because this tourney was a fantastic chance for the league to “grow the game” in America and it could hardly have been a bigger disaster.

The game as it is received no momentum. Hallelujah! The NaT, however, is catching fire because of their style. If the league wants more money they are now slightly closer to being forced to so things fans like style-wise, rather than letting wins in traditional markets (both nation and league) buoy their profits.

If the American disaster can be followed with a Dallas-Washington finals, maybe we have a chance.

Cheer against anything that is good for the league marketing except exciting hockey. I don’t want the NHL to be cool. i want it to be good.

Gretzky in L.A was a disaster for hockey.

152. Drew says:

Caramel Batman:

Now evil took a nice hit with Tortorella’s loss yesterday.But he’s not the serious face of evil.He’s clown evil.

What I’d like to see is for North America to defeat stodgy, old, Canada.That would be so, so Good.

you made me smile… good post

153. hunter1909 says:

Yakupov: Shows up at camp placed on the second line with RNH who he doesn’t play well with but despite being even at + – he’s demoted to the 4th while the shiny rookie gets spectacular, “the new Kurri” levels of hype to go with Katz’s new arena.

Yakupov languishes in the bottom 6, while Puljujarvi goes on to have a decent if not particularly memorable rookie season.

Sigh.

154. commonfan14 says:

hunter1909,

McKenzie has Yak as a long-shot to even play on the third line.

Double sigh.

155. B S says:

commonfan14,

screw him. The man hasn’t watched an Oilers game in ten years.

156. Zelepukin says:

Drew:
    Come on Korpikowski, just the game of your life and NA is in…

errrr….

oh well it was fun while it lasted.

That’s the first thing I thought of when they said Finland has to beat Russia. It could happen… wait Korpse is on Finland. ‘Nuff said.

157. hunter1909 says:

B S:
    commonfan14,

screw him. The man hasn’t watched an Oilers game in ten years.

Lucky guy.

158. B S says:

hunter1909,

That was my next thought too.

159. Ryan says:

Caramel Batman:

Imbibing tends to be more fun than imbuing, but don’t take my word for it.

160. Dominoiler says:

Where is osterle on these lists?.. he looks to be better than half first prospects..

Dominoiler:

I have him at No. 14. As I mentioned above, CofH excludes several players due to age restrictions. My list is here

162. Dominoiler says: