NURSE

I think we can be fairly certain Jacob Trouba isn’t coming to Edmonton using logic, reason and the brain God gave us. If we assume that Peter Chiarelli had Trouba on his wish list this summer, it is also reasonable to suggest the two teams could not find a match.

• Scott Cullen, Summer 2016—Winnipeg Jets’ Needs: Two top nine forwards, starting goaltender. Source

Winnipeg had a quiet transaction summer, but did draft Patrik Laine to help out that forward group. Edmonton cannot offer a goalie, and any top nine forward (Nugent-Hopkins, Jesse Puljujarvi) ask is likely not of interest to the Oilers. Trouba has one big issue—his next contract is going to be dear—but would be a terrific addition for Edmonton. Winnipeg? The Jets do have room for a substantial LHD after Tobias Enstrom—their lefty depth chart will probably include Mark Stuart and Ben Chariot—but Josh Morrissey may also find his way into the picture.

Lots of verbal on the Al Gore about Darnell Nurse being the ask, but I don’t see it. The Jets, if they are to trade Trouba, will want more of a sure thing and the Oilers are not in a position to provide that player.

NURSE

• Todd McLellan: “I look at Darnell as a five-tool D-man. His skating ability is exceptional. He’s got a bite and a tenacity to him and there’s more offensively there. We have to let him feel good about that, and defensively, he’ll improve. We have an all-around defenceman who can play any which way. Rugged. Or a skill guy. He has the tools for that.” Source

Nurse’s best NHLE in junior was 23 points, so I question the idea that we are looking at a future 40-point NHL player. I do believe he will improve defensively, but will tell you many people I speak to about this player feel that his 20-year old season in the NHL was a massive warning sign.

Whenever I have a question about a blue liner, I head over to Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com and ask for the 5×5 CorsiRelTM percentage. Here is the answer, with NHL rank for defenders over 400 minutes:

1. Brandon Davidson 4.1 (NHL rank: No. 19)
  2. Oscar Klefbom 1.9 (NHL rank: No. 51)
  3. Eric Gryba 1.2 (NHL rank: No. 73)
  4. Mark Fayne 0.6 (NHL rank: No. 88)
  5. Andrej Sekera 0.1 (NHL rank: No. 98)
  6. Griffin Reinhart -2.9 (NHL rank: No. 173)
  7. Darnell Nurse -4.8 (NHL rank: No. 200 out of 210 defensemen)

If you read twitter or various online posts today, you will read about how stupid Peter Chiarelli is for not trading Darnell Nurse for Jacob Trouba. I would ask you to use your head for more than a hat rack, and consider what the Winnipeg Jets might want in return for their truly substantial young defenseman. The mind boggles at the idea we can talk ourselves into Nurse for Trouba straight up as a reasonable option, and then lay blame on Chiarelli for not pulling the trigger. I think some people have an agenda, and encourage you to use the brain God gave you. The Jets are going to trade Jacob Trouba on their own time line and will receive a package or player who is a good fit for them. I am a fan of Darnell Nurse’s potential, but in my opinion this isn’t a reasonable trade idea based on needs and current value. If the Oilers are willing to move Ryan Nugent-Hopkins? Different conversation (and I hope they do not make that deal).

TRAINING CAMP NEWS

Whenever possible this year, I am going to refrain from quoting MSM articles for 24 hours. The quote above is from an article that was posted 12 hours ago, so please click on the link and read it (lots in there). If you have time this morning, another Matty article (here) is exactly the kind of reporting Mr. Matheson has been doing for decades.

HAJTS AND WAITS

Always interesting to see the differences between published heights and weights and the current totals on the Oilers site. Jere Sallinen went from 6.0, 183 to 6.0, 198 and Drake Caggiula is 5.09 instead of 5.10. Nothing major but there are times when these stats are wildly inaccurate (Robert Nilsson was NOT 5.11) and it is good to get the real truth.

209 Responses to "NURSE"

« Older Comments
  1. LadiesloveSmid says:

Woodguy: Weird.

Corsica has them 46.74% in 43.8 minutes whereas stats.hockeyanalysis has them at 50% over 45 minutes.

Both state that its 5v5 TOI as well.

The other players with Nurse match up (or very close) except that one.

Interesting.

2. Frank the dog says:

Hey LT this website just triggered a Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit warning:
    “Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit has blocked an exploit attempt”
    Application: Internet Explorer (IE 11 / W10 personal latest release)
    Protection Layer: Application Hardening
    Protection Technique: Anti-Exploit fingerprinting attempt detected
    File or process blocked: N/A
    Attacking URL: N/A.

Probably just a false alarm and hey, I should probably be using Chrome like everyone else but I just thought I’d let you know anyway as it has happened 2 or 3 times in a row now.

I can email you a snip of the alarm if need be. Just send the request to my email address on file.

3. leadfarmer says:

Nurse was not strong enough last year to play in the NHL and lacked knowledge of systems. He had trouble handling the bigger, more physical opponents, which he hasnt had to deal with yet. SInce he couldnt push them off the puck he chased them. Just looking at him he was clearly not filled out. Sounds like he gained 10 lbs in the offseason. Next offseason when he gains another 10 lbs, I cant wait to hear everyone pretending like they knew he would pan out/

4. Bruce Wayne says:

Who is this left shot equivalent (age/ability)of Trouba the Jets are looking for?

There is no such player, which means the Jets are going to have to settle for something else.

Nurse is as close as they are going to find for what they are looking for.

So a package with Nurse as the key piece is eminently reasonable. Sure it is a bad trade for the Jets, but most NHL trades are bad for somebody. See every Oiler trade in the last ten years. The key is to be on the other side. Just once I’d like the Oilers GM to be the one laughing.

Unfortunately, hell will freeze over before Chiarelli trades Nurse.

5. Zelepukin says:

voxwah:
    To me Nurse has the crazy eyes. You don’t trade the crazy eyes.

6. hunter1909 says:

Bruce Wayne:

Nurse is as close as they are going to find for what they are looking for.

So a package with Nurse as the key piece is eminently reasonable.Sure it is a bad trade for the Jets, but most NHL trades are bad for somebody. See every Oiler trade in the last ten years.The key is to be on the other side.Just once I’d like the Oilers GM to be the one laughing.

Unfortunately, hell will freeze over before Chiarelli trades Nurse.

Okay imagine for a moment that Nurse turns into the top pairing monster he’s still clearly able to be. Taylor Hall hates the Oilers with a passion that will make him play above his head if his team ever meets the OIlers in the playoffs.

Add Nurse, hating the OIlers along with Hall, and while we’re cynical let’s throw Yakupov into the mix – making another Oiler hating star player.

Nurse would almost be driving Oilers head first into the boards. Who wrote this? Kevin Lowe?

LadiesloveSmid: the size of the difference in that little of time tells me we have to take the pairs results with a grain of salt

not really

the rest checked out very close

8. hags9k says:

I would not trade Nurse for Trouba because I saw Nurse good, gritensity, and I’m in love with his potential. His oversized mural is already painted on my heart.

The above is exactly how you know the Oilers should definitely do it.

9. Halfwise says:

böök¡je,

Gold, Mr. Rip van Temherte Slaq ¡.

You are making it difficult to suggest as in prior years “Without hesitation, fornicate elsewhere sirrah”.

« Older Comments