PS G1 AND G2 2016-17: OILERS V FLAMES

“Well,” said Pooh, “what I like best,” and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn’t know what it was called.” A. A. Milne

There are Edmontonians who can’t wait to fly south for the winter, but this bird loves the cool air and the coming frost. NHL hockey is back—albeit in pre-season form—and that trumps any weather old man winter can bring me. We begin tonight with a pile of roster questions and the answers start rolling in just after 7pm local time.

ONE YEAR AGO, SAME GAMES

EDMONTON LINEUP

• Taylor Hall—Connor McDavid—Teddy Purcell: Major firepower on 1line.
  • Anton Lander—Leon Draisaitl—Nail Yakupov: There was lots of buzz about this trio.
  • Ryan Hamilton—Andrew Miller—Tyler Pitlick: There was zero buzz about this trio.
  • Luke Gazdic—Josh Winquist—Matt Ford: Only Gazdic would play NHL games.
  • Andrej Sekera—Mark Fayne: Ended up being the most effective pairing.
  • Andrew Ference—Nikita Nikitin: The Eno experiment.
  • Brad Hunt—Brandon Davidson: Davidson rose rapidly after this game.
  • Cam Talbot and Laurent Brossoit: Could be the NHL pairing this season.

CALGARY LINEUP

• Benoit Pouliot—Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Jordan Eberle: The big line.
  • Matt Hendricks—Mark Letestu—Lauri Korpikoski: An NHL line, they ended up playing more third than fourth-line minutes.
  • Anton Slepyshev—Bogdan Yakimov—Rob Klinkhammer: Rocknrolla.
  • Phil McRae—Jujhar Khaira—Braden Christoffer: Khaira would emerge during the year.
  • Oscar Klefbom—Justin Schultz: Blue money married to blown money.
  • Griffin Reinhart—Eric Gryba: I liked this pairing a year ago, like it now.
  • Darnell Nurse—Joey Laleggia: Both men can wheel.
  • Ben Scrivens and Anders Nilsson: One job, two goalies. The Swede won it.

Among the players who dressed one year ago, 8 played for the Edmonton team, 11 for Calgary in PS 1 and 2.

OILERS OPENING NIGHT 2015-16

• L1: Pouliot—Nuge—Purcell
  • L2: Hall—McDavid—Slepyshev
  • L3: Korpikoski—Lander —Yakupov
  • L4: Klinkhammer—Letestu—Hendricks
  • D1: Sekera—Fayne
  • D2: Klefbom—J. Schultz
  • D3: Reinhart—Gryba
  • G1: Talbot (Nilsson)
  • Extras: Luke Gazdic, Andrew Ference, Brandon Davidson
  • Injured: Jordan Eberle, Dillon Simpson

caggiula-capture1

TONIGHT’S EDMONTON LINEUP

• Milan Lucic—Drake Caggiula—Jordan Eberle: These are the top wingers on the club, with a charging Caggiula trying to win a job somewhere. Fascinating training camp, with the college men providing a lot of the intrigue.
  • Benoit Pouliot—Ryan Vesce—Jesse Puljujarvi: This line could house the opening night 2line wingers, and Vesce is getting a helluva push here. Vesce’s NHLE from last season’s KHL gig (54 points) is bloody fabulous, but he is 5.08 and 34 so let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Still, he is a righty with terrific skill.
  • Taylor Beck—Jujhar Khaira—Kris Versteeg: A sign of the improved depth this season is obvious here, as the third line one year ago in Edmonton was Hamilton—Miller—Pitlick. I think Versteeg has a clear shot at an opening night job, and Khaira might not be far behind.
  • Mitch Moroz—Kyle Platzer—Iiro Pakarinen: This feels like an AHL line (eight lines in use in one night, the 4line isn’t going to be stellar), but Pakarinen played in the NHL last year. Interesting to see him here, he could have played in the Taylor Beck slot or in Calgary. The times they are a changin?
  • Oscar Klefbom—Adam Larsson: The brand new top pairing rolls off the line, if this duo can provide quality play and stay healthy, Edmonton could be in contention at the deadline.
  • Ben Betker—Mark Fayne: Betker has improved mobility over last season, but this is a fairly shocking push based on how things looked before training camp. Fayne has apparently been clean and jerking Westfalia’s all summer long. Fascinating pair.
  • Markus Niemelainen—Matt Benning: Junior defensemen will get games this week, Niemelainen has a good chance to show well in a league game. Benning is likely to hang around deep into camp, one wonders what the gap in TOI will be between second and third pairing.
  • Cam Talbot (Eetu Laurikainen): Oilers No. 1 goalie begins what will hopefully be a 70-game season tonight, word is he might not get the entire game. Laurikainen could get pushed by college man Nick Ellis for a job in Bakersfield.

benning-russell-jones

TONIGHT’S CALGARY LINEUP

• Patrick Maroon—Anton Lander—Nail Yakupov: This could be the third winger set opening night, and Lander gets a very nice chance to show his stuff. This group is up against it in Demonville, if they can outscore the opposition we have a news story.
  • Matt Hendricks—Mark Letestu—Zack Kassian: This could be an actual 4line, the only one available on opening night. I imagine they see a lot of duty tonight on the road.
  • Braden Christoffer—Jere Sallinen—Anton Slepyshev: This line feels like an AHL trio, but Sallinen is a wild card and Slepyshev did see NHL ice a year ago. I am interested to see the Finn.
  • Greg Chase—Josh Currie—Patrick Russell: This is definitely an AHL line, important season for Chase and this is his first chance to shine. Avoiding penalties while drawing them will be a good start.
  • Darnell Nurse—Brandon Davidson: This could be the third pairing on opening night, and for me that is probably the ideal solution. Davidson is a dandy player, Nurse a promising if flawed young blue. This could work.
  • Jordan Oesterle—Eric Gryba: Both men are probably bubble players for the roster, although the club could employ 8D to start the season. I like the idea of a veteran hand, but Oesterle has his uses, too.
  • Caleb Jones—Ethan Bear: At this point, I think it is an open question as to which of these two prospects is poised for a better career. Still early days, but Jones’ mobility versus Bear’s passing and shot is an interesting betting decision.
  • Jonas Gustavsson—Laurent Brossoit: Both men should receive a heavy load tonight, I remain convinced the backup job is in play—beginning tonight.

2015-16 PRE-SEASON STATS

38. Josh Winquist 1gp, 0-0-0
  39. Brad Hunt 1gp, 0-0-0
  40. Cam Talbot 4gp, 3.13 .892
  41. Anders Nilsson 3gp, 0.00 1.000
  42. Ben Scrivens 3gp, 1.97 .929
  43. Laurent Brossoit 1gp, 2.07 .889

I find it is interesting to look back one year, not only for who scored well, but also to see who played. Caleb Jones and Ethan Bear did not have a pre-season appearance last fall (outside of rookie camp) according to the numbers.

NOT PLAYING TONIGHT

1. C Connor McDavid
  2. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
  3. C Leon Draisaitl (remains at WCOH)
  4. Andrej Sekera (remains at WCOH)
  5. D Griffin Reinhart
  6. D Andrew Ference
  7. D Joey Laleggia
  8. D Dillon Simpson
  9. D David Musil
  10. G Nick Ellis
  11. R Tyler Pitlick
  12. D Mark Fraser
  13. L Ryan Hamilton
  14. C-L Joey Benik
  15. D Frank Simonelli
  16. L Scott Allen
  17. R Jaedon Descheneau
  18. L Tyler Benson

262 Responses to "PS G1 AND G2 2016-17: OILERS V FLAMES"

« Older Comments
  1. Oil2Oilers says:

Tkachuk jumping an Oiler after an empty net goal. Kid is going to get feed by a big boy and soon.

2. Braden88 says:

really impressed with Brossoit. Defence not helping him much either

3. Rebilled says:

Undefeated!

4. pocession charge says:

Gio has a decent clapper.

5. B S says:

pocession charge,

did Currie spear him? didn’t see it, but that would explain the first major.

6. Pouzar says:

pocession charge: Was that Fayne?Wow, great defence from him.

I think so

7. Pouzar says:

Braden88:
    really impressed with Brossoit. Defence not helping him much either

LB is a stud.

8. pocession charge says:

B S:
    pocession charge,

did Currie spear him? didn’t see it, but that would explain the first major.

Yep. Probably won’t be the last spear or punch he takes against the Oil.

9. B S says:

Calgary game was a terrible game by two bad teams. Goaltending the difference maker by the end.

10. Jaxon says:

I see Nurse got 2nd star in Calgary. I didn’t watch that game. Anyone have any notes/impressions of that game?

11. B S says:

Calgary loses at home, still gets two of the 3 stars, and the one Oiler wasn’t even Brossoit, who stole that game.

12. LadiesloveSmid says:

Jaxon:

played 28 minutes, seemed solid when I was watching him. I was flip flopping between games though

13. LadiesloveSmid says:

either I was changing to the Calgary game right when he got on or Pulju was damn near invisible all night long

14. dustrock says:

Friend in Calgary was impressed by Bear & Jones, thought they could be bottom pairing in a year or two.

15. striatic says:

Jaxon:

Main note and impression was that whoever was writing up the 3 stars wasn’t watching the game. Nurse was ok, but Brossoit was clearly the best player in the game for either team and didn’t get a nod.

LadiesloveSmid:

He played a lot, too. I did not see him get much done to be honest, seemed like he was trying to make every play himself.

17. LadiesloveSmid says:

Korpikoski amazingly, but not at all amazingly because we are used to it, 0-12 CF/CA at ES tonight

18. stush18 says:

So quick notes from what I could watch. Stats guys be warned this is a small sample size

-slepy needs more time. He’s close, you can see the power, and offensively he’s there. He will need to work on seeing his teammates. But Tmac was right, he’s got great individual skills

-saw benning bad. He has nice skating, and he battles hard, but he was having trouble staying positioned and switching with his partner. He needs time to catch up with the speed imo. Could be first game jitters.

-yak is good as gone imo. Likely for a waiver guy. Pak, pitlick, kass, slepy all had games, and those are only the rw. JJ and cagguila played well. And I like yak, he’s got skills, but he went offside a couple times again on bad plays and was giving the puck up. Still has bees

-brossoit and gustavsson both played well. They both look like they know they are playing for their jobs

-Larsson is rickis dream. I thought he played powerplay well and made good passes. Benning was the issue on the powerplay imo, he was often out of position, chasing.

-nurse and gryba were okay. Nothing special, nothing bad.

-pitlick was flying. Mentioned it in the yak thought, but pitlick, kass, slepy, and pak all look like they know they are fighting for a roster spot.

-was JP playing? If so I didn’t see him at all.

19. Pouzar says:

Jaxon:

He played a lot.
    Still roving like it’s 1999. Gotta cut that out and Play D

20. striatic says:

Wasn’t able to watch the @Oilers game because of the feed, despite catching most of @Flames – how was Versteeg, other than the goal he scored?

21. Pouzar says:

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 1m1 minute ago
    McLellan on Puljujarvi after a quiet showing tonight. – “he’s got some work to do”

22. Pouzar says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 27s27 seconds ago
    Pitlick made the most of his opportunity tonight. Versteeg can still skate. Puljujarvi was very quiet. Benning battled. Oscar closed well

23. B S says:

stush18,

Yak was terrible tonight, though it’s worth pointing out that none of the forwards in the calgary game helped their case. Also, game one of the preseason, so I’m trying not to read much into any of this.

24. Centre of attention says:

B S:

Nurse played 28 minutes and had an assist. He helped.

25. stush18 says:

B S:
    stush18,

Agreed like I said, small sample.

But when yak has the puck you can see the bees.

He made some nice dekes, and had no help in lander or maroon really, but he didn’t help them much either. Had a 3-2 and he busts in well offside. Slow up, play the high guy. Or time it. My god you’re in the NHL, surely timing yourself with the puck across the line isn’t a skill that needs teaching.

26. Pouzar says:

B S: none of the forwards in the calgary game helped their case.

I will disagree with that and say Slepy looked pretty good.

27. LadiesloveSmid says:

Pouzar: I will disagree with that and say Slepy looked pretty good.

I thought Sallinen had a solid game

28. Pouzar says:

LB 22/23 in half a game.

29. Pouzar says:

LadiesloveSmid: I thought Sallinen had a solid game

Yes I agree.

30. stush18 says:

B S:
    stush18,

The more I think about it, the more I think the reason yak has success with players like Connor and pouliot is because of how they play.

They drive the puck into the zone. They rarely stop up, the either skate wide or chip it into an area they can get too. I didn’t see much of lucic but I imagine he’s the same way.

Also I wonder if playing with fast players gives him less time to think. It sounds strange, but I always played better as I climbed levels of play in hockey, because you rely on instincts. Get the puck, pass to centre, drive the net, beat your dman back, post up for a tip. The more time I had the more I struggled to make plays. Started forcing things.

Yaks quite the enigma riddle puzzle thing. I can’t figure out what makes him tick, but I would love it if we figured it out.

Maybe a trade to a team that plays speed would sort him out.

31. stush18 says:

Pouzar: I will disagree with that and say Slepy looked pretty good.

And Christoffer. Tenacious, although he’s obviously limited offensively.

Wonder if he could carve out a Hendricks role as a utility guy.

32. Centre of attention says:

stush18:

The more time I had the more I struggled to make plays. Started forcing things.

I always thought this exact thing about Hall on the power play.

33. B S says:

Centre of attention,

first two stars should have been Brossoit and Nurse, to be fair, but Nurse played 28 minutes of the team getting their teeth kicked in. I think he had a decent game overall, but personally I don’t see him getting the honor over the goalie that show stopped for the last ten straight minutes of the game.

Pouzar: I will disagree with that and say Slepy looked pretty good.

Sleppy had some good moments (obviously the goal), but overall wasn’t noticeable to me for much of the games. I would agree that he was the best forward for the Oilers in Calgary by a large margin.

34. Centre of attention says:

B S,

All I said is that Nurse helped. Didn’t say who I thought deserved it more.

35. Oilspill says:

Thought he and Davey got hemmed in for 2 periods. Decent 3rd.

Pouzar: He played a lot.
    Still roving like it’s 1999. Gotta cut that out and Play D

36. Centre of attention says:

Lawrence PoliceVerified account
    ‏@LawrenceKS_PD
    Additionally, drinking games where you drink every time someone says “yuge” leads to binge drinking, and we discourage that strongly

Gosh some of the police twitter accounts are lit

37. LadiesloveSmid says:

Good game from Pitlick, I’ve always told LT “wait 7 years after the draft to judge” and the guy is so excited to make snap judgments that he only allows these poor guys 5.

if he keeps it up, he could be eating Kassian’s lunch

38. B S says:

Centre of attention:
    B S,

All I said is that Nurse helped. Didn’t say who I thought deserved it more.

Yes, he did. Honestly thought the defense was okay overall, considering the lack of depth. Couldn’t clear the zone with the forwards all over the place.

39. Centre of attention says:

LadiesloveSmid:

if he keeps it up, he could be eating Kassian’s lunch

Pitlick was on his LW for this game right? or was it Versteeg on his off wing?

I liked that lines game in general.

40. stush18 says:

Centre of attention: I always thought this exact thing about Hall on the power play.

It’s def a thing. Dunno how you could quantify it. But some guys can’t play a slowed down game. Maybe with sport track we’ll be able to see when a player gets his points if the avg speed is at a certain speed? Or when the player themselves reach certain distances travelled

41. Centre of attention says:

Of note from the box score:

Cagguila lead all forwards at the Edmonton game with 18+ minutes, went 50% on the dot.

Can you ask for much more? He was robbed on a solid chance too. Got a penalty shot as well.

42. Centre of attention says:

stush18: Makes sense. Plays well five on five because he doesn’t have time to think. Hits powerplay and starts trying to force lanes.

A guy like Giroux is the polar opposite. Slowish skater, but once he’s set up in the offensive zone he can make some brilliant plays.

43. Stelio Kontos says:

Centre of attention:
    Can you ask for much more?

A goal or an assist.

44. Centre of attention says:

Also of note: Larsson lead all defenders with 5:45 on the power play while only having 1:55 of short handed ice time.

Huh. I wonder how long that lasts.

45. Centre of attention says:

Stelio Kontos: A goal or an assist.

He was playing out of position, and on the first line in his first ever preseason game.

I think he did fine. solid 6/10.

46. stevezie says:

Pouzar: Puljujarvi was very quiet. Benning battled. Oscar closed well

This is the best (realistic) case scenario. I hope he has a very quiet camp.

47. Woogie63 says:

Should the parade start at Roger Place and go to City Hall or start at City Hall and go to Rogers Place?

48. stush18 says:

Centre of attention: I think its just certain player types don’t like slowing the game down. Everyone likes to play a certain style.

Oh def some guys slow the play down on purpose, so speed it up. Getzlaf is another guy, slows down, protects and dishes. Backstrom too.

I think it would be interesting to try and track if players score more entering the zone with sped, or whether it affects them at all.

49. Alpine says:

Was at the game at Rogers tonight. The drink rail seats in the upper bowl have very obstructed views. I’d be mad but i don’t have season seats there so whatever.

Larsson looked pretty good, as did Klef. Forgot how well Klef can wheel out there, definitely the better skater of the two. Larsson is a bit of awkward skater but he’s great at recovering if someone gets by him. Noticed a few times where he was able to catch a Flame along the left boards after starting from the right side of the ice.

Khaira, Beck, and Pitlick were all impressive in flashes. Puljujarvi was invisible for the most part. Lucic and Ebs didn’t do a lot but created some good looks. Fayne looked bit faster and played with some nice urgency.

50. Bank Shot says:

Khaira-Beck-Pitlick line was buzzing all night.

Versteeg looked good for the most part. A cut about most others.

Hard to judge most of the team when they dominated so much.

Puljujarvi didn’t do anything noticeable. I didn’t even realize he was playing until the second period. haha.

51. Bruce McCurdy says:

The Oilers are giving $50 in Oilers bucks to upper drink rail seat holders for every game until the problem is fixed. What a fiasco.

52. Bruce McCurdy says:

Calgary sent their “C” team to Edmonton tonight. I could tell cuz they had a great big flaming “C” on the front of their sweaters.

53. pocession charge says:

Bruce McCurdy:

I noticed this problem when I did the open house tour. The first two rows of the upper bowl are obstructed by the thickness of the glass barrier. To the viewer, it appears as a black line across the ice. I would be very frustrated if I had those season seats.

54. Ducey says:

Yak needs linemates that are fast enough to keep him inside. Connor likely looks up and realises “that bugger is going to go offside again!” And then puts it into warp drive to pass the blue line ahead of Yak.

I imagine a discussion with Lucic might help him focus a little. Having your life threatened will do that.

Davidson did not look good in that one lowlight when someone blew by him like he was tying his skates.

55. GCW_69 says:

Ducey:

I don’t think Davidson is experienced enough at the NHL level yet to be tossed in on his off side.

56. Oilspill says:

Oilspill: That pairing ( Dav/nurse)played a lot. Casual observation is that they struggled for most part. Neither were breaking the puck loose and we’re spending too much time in their own end. Thought Gryba/Oesterle were better getting control and getting it out. To be fair however the forwards in many cases weren’t supporting in numbers.
    Yak was Yak..hockey reaction anticipation is slow. Has so many physical skills but he always seems a second slow.

Bottom line is our goal tending bailed us out.

57. B S says:

Oilspill,

Bare in mind that it was our third pairing, 4th line, and two top 9 forwards against the Flames’ better C team. Basically the majority of their starting lineup, in the first game of the preaseason. Both sides were sluggish for much of the game, but Nurse and Davidson were outclassed by a much more talented squad. that they held the game to zero is impressive, even given the excellent goaltending.

58. Oilspill says:

I just expected them to out class the second pairing.

B S:
    Oilspill,

59. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I see we are one split squad evening into this and already people are ignoring my advice from earlier in the thread, so I will repeat it.

Remember that last year Anton Lander led the team in scoring in the preseason.

Remember that several years back, Mike Comrie & Patrick O’Sullivan looked like the most potent offensive duo in the NHL in the preseason.

JP is fine. Saying he’s not ready based on last night is false (if he had a good game declaring him the second coming would be even worse).

Very little of what we saw last night matters. Very, very little.

60. Pouzar says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: Very little of what we saw last night matters.

At least we agree there.

61. Pouzar says:

I watched most of the game in CAL but Caggiula sure flashes well in the highlights in EDM.

62. kinger_OIL says:

Ca$h-McMoney!,

Cash says: “Very little of what we saw last night matters. Very, very little.”

– There is no predictive value associated to the points gathered by a team in pre-season or for a player. The R-squared on both is not significant.

– Simpson/Musil for instance, they didn’t play. but it wasn’t because of what has happened so far in training camp: i.e.e the coach didn’t say : “wow Musil doesn’t look good, he’s not going to play”. The teams already have established what they are going to do, and who they are going to push

– Yeah its fun to see players and hockey for sure (well streaming was brutal!): that’s it

« Older Comments