PS G4 2016-17: OILERS AT JETS

Tonight, RNH plays in Winnipeg and we will probably see Nail and Jesse again. Leon Draisaitl and Andrej Sekera will be back in camp after a little rest and by this time next week the band will be back together again. Training camp so far has felt incomplete, and not all of that feeling comes from the holes in the roster.

OILERS PRE-SEASON STATS

1. F Drake Caggiula 2gp, 2-0-2 (8 shots)
  2. R Anton Slepyshev 2gp, 1-1-2 (3 shots)
  3. R Tyler Pitlick 2gp, 1-1-2 (7 shots)
  4. C Jere Sallinen 2gp, 1-1-2 (3 shots)
  5. D Griffin Reinhart 1gp, 1-0-1 (2 shots)
  6. R Iiro Pakarinen 1gp, 1-0-1 (1 shot)
  7. C Ryan Vesce 1gp, 1-0-1 (3 shots)
  8. R Kris Versteeg 2gp, 1-0-1 (4 shots)
  9. C Mark Lestestu 1gp, 0-1-1 (0 shots)
  10. L Benot Pouliot 1gp, 0-1-1 (0 shots)
  11. C Kyle Platzer 1gp, 0-1-1 (0 shots)
  12. D Oscar Klefbom 1gp, 0-1-1 (4 shots)
  13. L Mitch Moroz 1gp, 0-1-1 (2 shots)
  14. D Matt Benning 1gp, 0-1-1 (2 shots)
  15. C Josh Currie 1gp, 0-1-1 (2 shots)
  16. D Adam Larsson 1gp, 0-1-1 (1 shot)
  17. C Anton Lander 1gp, 0-1-1 (0 shots)
  18. D Darnell Nurse 2gp, 0-1-1 (3 shots)
  19. D Brandon Davidson 2gp, 0-1-1 (1 shot)
  20. R Taylor Beck 2gp, 0-1-1 (6 shots)
  21. L Patrick Maroon 2gp, 0-1-1 (2 shots)
  22. A bunch with no points, plus goalie stats, here

Drake Caggiula and his 8 shots stand out, and his two goals are also impressive. Oscar Klefbom has four shots to lead the blue and if you can identify the best goalie so far then you are a bloody genius.

DISTANT BELLS

distant-bells-sep-29

• We will probably see a boatload more cuts in the next few days, Edmonton plays a game every two days for the next while, so four goalies, 10 defenders and (say) 20 forwards should do it. None of these men are going to be a substantial part of the Oilers this season (once Ference hits LTIR), although we could see a callup here or there.
  • Among this group, I think Kyle Platzer had the best showing among the pro players and all three of Jones, Bear and Niemelainen looked good from the defensive side.

SEASON UNDERWAY (PROSPECTS)

• Dylan Wells, Peterborough Petes (OHL) 1gp, 1.00 .974
  • Miroslav Svoboda, HC Dukla Jihlava (Cze-2) 2gp, 2.40 .918
  • Filip Berglund, Skelleftea (SHL) 1gp, 0-0-0
  • Ziyat Paigin, Ak Bars Kazan (KHL) 4gp, 0-0-0

THE UNCERTAIN OILERS

uncertain-oilers-sep-23

• Major Up arrows: Drake Caggiula, Kris Versteeg
  • Up arrows: Tyler Pitlick, Jujhar Khaira
  • Running in place arrows: Jesse Puljujarvi
  • I think the final 7 spots will go to Jonas Gustavsson, Mark Fayne, Eric Gryba, Drake Caggiula, Matt Hendricks, Kris Versteeg and one of Nail Yakupov or Jesse Puljujarvi.

THE CERTAIN OILERS

certain-oilers-sep-23

• Do you think any of these men will be traded by opening night? Nor do I. The uncertain Oilers are a different conversation, and the stage is set for a trade (imo) or an unusual name in the pressbox.

CORSI FOR 5X5 PERCENTAGE (F)

1. Drake Caggiula 76.67
  2. Milan Lucic 63.89
  3. Jujhar Khaira 63.89
  4. Tyler Pitlick 63.41
  5. Taylor Beck 63.16
  6. Kris Versteeg 60.00
  7. Braden Christoffer 60.00
  8. Jordan Eberle 58.97
  9. Jesse Puljujarvi 58.33
  10. Connor McDavid 52.00
  11. Mitch Moroz 50.00
  12. Kyle Platzer 50.00
  13. Iiro Pakarinen 50.00
  14. Ryan Vesce 50.00

That is most of the good vibrations group up front so far, I think Caggiula and Versteeg are the two men who have the best chance of making the club from the outside—and don’t count out Jesse Puljujarvi. At the bottom end? Anton Lander, 18.52 percent and all of the names are here.

CORSI FOR 5X5 PERCENTAGE (D)

1. Mark Fayne 75.00
  10. Eric Gryba 41.67
  11. Brandon Davidson 40.00
  12. Ethan Bear 39.13
  13. Caleb Jones 39.13
  14. Darnell Nurse 37.29
  15. Griffin Reinhart 34.38

I think (if the season started tonight) the 7D would be Klefbom—Larsson, Sekera—Fayne, Nurse—Davidson and Eric Gryba, but there are miles to go. I want to linger just a little longer with NaturalStatTrick.com and list the most severe defensive zone starts on the team so far (among defensemen):

1. Darnell Nurse 14 (8 in the offensive zone)
  2. Brandon Davidson 13 (8 in the offensive zone)
  3. Eric Gryba 8 (4 in the offensive zone)
  4. Jordan Oesterle 7 (3)
  5. Griffin Reinhart 7 (9)
  6. Dillon Simpson 6 (9)
  7. David Musil 5 (4)
  8. Joey Laleggia 4 (4)
  9. Caleb Jones 4 (6)
  10. Adam Larsson 3 (2)
  11. Oscar Klefbom 3 (1)
  12. Markus Niemelainen 3 (5)
  13. Mark Fayne 2 (6)
  14. Ben Betker 2 (4)

Interesting, despite being too early to draw any conclusions. Adam Larsson had 682 defensive-zone faceoffs and just 308 offensive zone faceoffs a year ago, it will be interesting to see those numbers over the entire Edmonton season. The next cuts are probably Joey Laleggia, Dillon Simpson and David Musil, but Musil could hang around until later in camp if the team is worried about losing him to waivers.

TONIGHT’S LINEUP (AN ESTIMATE)

• Pouliot—Nuge—Puljujarvi
  • Slepyshev—Lander—Yakupov
  • Pakarinen—Letestu—Kassian
  • Moroz—Khaira—Beck
  • Klefbom—Larsson
  • Oesterle—Fayne
  • Fraser—Benning
  • Talbot (Laurikainen)

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

Friday edition of the Lowdown, 10 this morning TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Steve Lansky, Big Mouth Sports. WCOH is over, Matthews is gonna be a big star, McDavid captaincy and the Blue Jays.
  • Guy Flaming, Pipeline Show. Oil Kings season underway and there are some real positives. We will also discuss the strength of the WHL in this year’s draft.
  • Matt Iwanyk, TSN1260. Did the Oilers make a mistake in firing Ralph Krueger, and are fans right to be angry that the management group with fired him remain with the team?
  • Paul Almeida, SSE. We chat about the Oilers, Jays and (gack) the Bengals, as Paul returns to the airwaves and we tee up tomorrow’s show.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Friday!!!!

326 Responses to "PS G4 2016-17: OILERS AT JETS"

« Older Comments

I am liking Larsson.

2. Braden88 says:

ancientcanuck,

oilers were late posting the link.

its on the oilers website now

ancientcanuck:
    Sorry guys, where is this game televised?I looked on youtube, the Oilers website, on the Oilers app and on Sportsnet.Thanks!

Oilers site

4. square_wheels says:

Once again a big F for fail to NHL.com…….unless a black screen with a spinning circle is what’s on ?

5. Braden88 says:

not sure if that goal was larsson fault or klefbom. eithe way, someone was out of position

6. Melvis says:

That device Fog cooked up can also pick up a game if you live in a van down by the river.

That Byfuglien drive to the net killed Davidson last winter.

Oilers PK could use some work.

9. Centre of attention says:

Oilers are Oilering

10. Braden88 says:

if there was every an opportunity for lander to prove himself, its now

11. JDï™ says:

square_wheels:

Why do you hate the spinning circle? Kind of poetic, really.

12. Kraz says:

Anyone know where to stream this game in BC?

Nice shot by Puju

OmJo: All true, but unfortunately there’s only a handful of sports channels available on our Shaw cable package. Not to mention all of the cringey “Canada didn’t just invent hockey, hockey invented Canada” commercials further hyping up the tournament.

I didn’t consume it, which wasn’t easy to do. The only reason I’ve paid any attention to the tournament was because of Ralph Krueger.

So a “best on best’ hockey tourney during the pre-season/training camp portion of the hockey season dominating the Canadian sports news cycle surprises and/or offends you?

15. Centre of attention says:

Nice shot by Puju

He’s gonna score some goals at the NHL level.

How many and when? Anybody’s guess.

16. Fog of Warts says:

This foil riposte caught me right in the middle of writing up my cooking notes after mixing my brioche dough for my brioche hamburger buns, which we shall eat hot out of the oven filled with hamburger patties made from 40% pork and 60% lean grass-fed single-animal ground beef.

For the burgers, I’m using Kenji Alt’s new 1000–page cookbook The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science. This copy comes from the library, but soon I will purchase.

How the heck did this cookbook balloon out to almost 1000 pages? Easy. The man loves his burgers (and his steaks, and his crown roast, and his meatloaf, and his Swedish meatballs, and his melty pastas).

It was love at first sight, but then … some small niggles. He’s got a strange predilection for umami boosters: Marmite and anchovies show up in every second beefy recipe (to achieve a precise ratio of glutamate to inosinate which Kenji refers to as his “umami bomb”).

He also goes so far in his effort to achieve the ultimate succulence in melty macaroni to specify American cheese (in small quantities) because it contains some kind of special enzyme ultimate meltiness—after much laboratory testing—just can’t do without.

If you do find a recipe with neither of these—when your fridge is in mid-week rather than week-end game shape—it will surely call for buttermilk or something else you haven’t got on hand.

Recently I bought two large cast-iron pans at Costco ($40 total, Lagostina brand). I’ve seasoned them six times already with highly saturated oil (we had some expired coconut oil on hand). For some reason, cast iron was the last addition to my kitchen, rather than the first (almost all professional chefs would give up their chef knife and their large cast-iron frying pan last of all). On the stove, the large pan heats up properly only right over the element coil, but between the two pans, I can still cook up eight 5-ounce burgers all at once. I preheat both pans in the oven, because cast-iron is such a shitty thermal conductor (it holds heat well, once hot).

Note: I have garish pink silicone funnels which I often slip over the pan handles after the pans have been oven-preheated. God help the first person who bare-hands one of those handles blindly.

Last time I made my brioche buns, my mother-in-law scored them at a 9.5. My burgers are not quite there yet, but gaining fast.

So far, I like the slightly smashed style—thou shalt ONLY smash your burgers immediately after the beef first hits the pan—this increases the ratio of crusty burger skin to moist burger insides.

Of course, indecision lurks with each new variable introduced. I suspect my new cast-iron pans will rack up their veteran-status 200th plate appearance in no time flat.

17. Braden88 says:

Fog of Warts,

i didnt understand a word you just said

18. Spengler says:

Woodguy,

I think part of the issue is that the denouement lacked a spark. Even the crowds seemed muted. Canada vs Russia, USA vs Russia, Sweden vs Finland etc, have a historical and sporting connection that resonates. Canada vs Europe seems a bit like the plot of a post apocalyptic novel rather than the culmination of a hockey tournament.

Not that I didn’t watch…

19. blondebellend says:

JDï™,

Thanks man!

20. norm_klassen says:

Oilers playing safe so they dont get injured? I dont think this pre season is going to be about winning. They want to work on chemistry while not getting hurt i think

21. Spengler says:

Fog of Warts,

Marmite is spectacular. But it is the cilantro of spreads.

22. delooper says:

I’ve only caught a few minutes of the first. Does Winnipeg have a stronger lineup or (as it looks) are the Oilers just not ready?

Fog of Warts: I still recall the day—2 August 2015 to be precise—when I bought my first shoulder-width roll of Alcan BBQ Buddy man-foil: 18″ glorious inches, extra strength, and more flexible, too (or so it claims, but this is harder to judge).

Yes, I liked this so much, I immediately reinforced both ends of the cheap cardboard box—presumably pressed from wood pulp simultaneously too coarse for Soviet-era TP, and yet also too saggy for Charmin—with 1″ reinforced filament tape.After ten minutes of miracle-tape TLC, that box is now built to last.“En garde!Take-uh thutt.

The box doesn’t say this, but working from mass and area, it’s probably a burly 24-microns thick, rather than the flimsier 16 microns common for light-duty foils. (There’s a note taped to my box to weight the empty tube when—sad day—I finish the box to see just how close I came in my original estimate.)

By eyeball, I placed the core at 75 g.But then, after my napkin led me to conclude that it was a standard 24-micron thickness (for heavy foil), it back-calculates as 60 g.

Love my man-foil.Why didn’t I figure this out decades ago?No more wardrobe malfunctions with my foil-wrapped BBQ salmon.Fish hip hooray!

You too?

Glad I’m not alone.

delooper:
    I’ve only caught a few minutes of the first.Does Winnipeg have a stronger lineup or (as it looks) are the Oilers just not ready?

Oilers look like a team that arrived two hours before the game.

25. Ryan says:

With the proviso that I haven’t been watching very closely…

Is it just me or does the Oilers powerplay always look the same regardless of coach or roster, preseason or season?

The last time I recall teams afraid of our pp was with Ralph K.

Now, it’s lose the draw, failed zone entry after failed zone entry rinse and repeat.

Fog of Warts:

For the burgers, I’m using Kenji Alt’s new 1000–page cookbook The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science.This copy comes from the library, but soon I will purchase.

How the heck did this cookbook balloon out to almost 1000 pages?Easy.The man loves his burgers (and his steaks, and his crown roast, and his meatloaf, and his Swedish meatballs, and his melty pastas).

It was love at first sight, but then … some small niggles.He’s got a strange predilection for umami boosters: Marmite and anchovies show up in every second beefy recipe (to achieve a precise ratio of glutamate to inosinate which Kenji refers to as his “umami bomb”).

Recently I bought two large cast-iron pans at Costco ($40 total, Lagostina brand). I’ve seasoned them six times already with highly saturated oil (we had some expired coconut oil on hand).For some reason, cast iron was the last addition to my kitchen, rather than the first (almost all professional chefs would give up their chef knife and their large cast-iron frying pan last of all).On the stove, the large pan heats up properly only right over the element coil, but between the two pans, I can still cook up eight 5-ounce burgers all at once.I preheat both pans in the oven, because cast-iron is such a shitty thermal conductor (it holds heat well, once hot).

Note: I have garish pink silicone funnels which I often slip over the pan handles after the pans have been oven-preheated.God help the first person who bare-hands one of those handles blindly.

Last time I made my brioche buns, my mother-in-law scored them at a 9.5.My burgers are not quite there yet, but gaining fast.

Of course, indecision lurks with each new variable introduced.I suspect my new cast-iron pans will rack up their veteran-status 200th plate appearance in no time flat.

*drools*

27. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: Oilers look like a team that arrived two hours before the game.

They fly out tonight too. Did the same thing in Vancouver.

I thought they were supposed to have a better schedule this year? Did anyone from the team complain about last season?

28. Oil2Oilers says:

REDRIGGER:
    Maroon-McD-Yak The Crosby theory, McD drags them both to respectability and beyond.

Lucic-RNH-Ebs My 1B line gets the toughest matchups at home on the road

Poo-Dri-Versteeg Surround the kid with lots of stable/smart/veteran help

Hendrics-Letestu-Kassian To be used sparingly

Like the idea of this line up. With a built in 5th line waiting in the wings of
    Slepyshev-Caggiula-Kharia

29. blondebellend says:

delooper,

A little of column A, little of column B.

Centre of attention: They fly out tonight too. Did the same thing in Vancouver.

It is the NHLPA day off issue. Buggers up everything.

Spengler:
    Woodguy,

Not that I didn’t watch…

Yeah, but that’s a different argument.

I didn’t watch much of the WCoH, but caught the NA team every game because that’s fun hockey and when I don’t have a rooting/laundry interest then fun trumps all.

I’m a big hockey fan and the WCoH was quite easy to avoid

Spengler:
    Fog of Warts,

Marmite is spectacular. But it is the cilantro of spreads.

I agree with the anchovies though.

Add a great dash of salt and creaminess (due to fish fat, not milk fat) when used properly.

Oesterle-Fayne was 11-2, overall (this is 5×5) Edmonton 21-9. Unlucky to be behind, but PK coverage gaps are poor. Cannot blame the G either.

34. Spengler says:

Woodguy,

Ha! Fair enough. Probably should have just written my comment instead of replying to you. It was more a general comment on the state of things rather than a specific reply to your comment. Caution shall be exercised in future correspondence!

I think it was Oesterle on the 2nd PP GA who treated the slot like a bowling alley. (wide open)

His living in hockey will not be made without the puck.

36. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: It is the NHLPA day off issue. Buggers up everything.

The NHLPA getting in its own players way.

who woulda’ thunk.

Spengler:
    Woodguy,

Ha! Fair enough.Probably should have just written my comment instead of replying to you. It was more a general comment on the state of things rather than a specific reply to your comment. Caution shall be exercised in future correspondence!

Understood.

I feel compelled to respond to comments tagged at me as its the polite thing to do.

Even if my responses are not polite.

38. Spengler says:

Woodguy,

I have a mate who introduced me to his favourite pizza (he runs a chain in Taiwan, Alleycat’s Pizza if anyone ever visits the island). Double anchovies, double garlic, double basil. Quite a savoury sensation.

39. Fog of Warts says:

Commence operation le week-end.

Not by stinky blue cheese dripping through every crag, nor excessively tannic wine, do the best-laid plans of mice and men gang aft a-gley.

40. Ben says:

My great-uncle’s prostate allows a more reliable stream than this.

41. Oil2Oilers says:

Fog of Warts,

You just cost me $38.12 + Shipping because I got the Hardcover, figuring at 1,000 page it will big enough to serve as a coffee table in its own right if the reciepes don’t catch my fancy.

3-0. Oilers PK needs surgery.

43. Tire Fire says:

Fog of Warts: Buns shaped and into the body-temperature oven for final rise. Just texted my lemon tree “brioche rising”.

I missed out on the origin story of this bit of the DMW lexicon. Whence “lemon tree”?

44. Ben says:

The PK looking like a lace condom might actually be good news for #51.

45. Ryan says:

Oil2Oilers:
    Fog of Warts,

My name is Richard Roma.

46. Centre of attention says:

Is Klefbom OK!?

Spengler:
    Woodguy,

That’s a bit much, but I’d try a piece.

Tire Fire: I missed out on the origin story of this bit of the DMW lexicon.Whence “lemon tree”?

His significant other.

Dustin Byfuglien is absolutely toying with the Oilers.

50. Woogie63 says:

Man the stream from the game is really intermittent… we have Shaw 150 and this almost unwatchable.

51. Centre of attention says:

Dustin Byfuglien is absolutely toying with the Oilers.

Hendricks, bless his brave soul, could have died right there.

Kassian was a little late to the a party, he deserves the extra penalty there.

52. Tire Fire says:

Woodguy: His significant other.

I had caught the implication, but I wasn’t sure if the phrasing had a meaning for public consumption. I just can’t stand an un-understood phrase. You can imagine that song lyrics drive me up the wall.

53. ashley says:

Remember when Buff was a non-vital winger with CHI? Now he’s a #1D. Weird.

Can we try that with Kassian or something?

Oscar scores.

55. Centre of attention says:

Oscar scores.

He’s not afraid to get deep in the zone. Wrap around goals are rare for defensemen am I right? haha

Oilers killing at even strength, but down 3-1. Weird hockey game, because I do not blame the goalie.

57. JDï™ says:

Lowetide: Weird hockey game

Well it’s their #1C against the Oilers’ #3C!

58. Ryan says:

ashley:
    Remember when Buff was a non-vital winger with CHI?Now he’s a #1D.Weird.

Can we try that with Kassian or something?

As an Oiler fan, I’ve had about enough of Byfuglien.

I’m not proud to admit it and I’m even conflicted about hockey fights in general, but if Lucic and Byfuglien ever got in tilt, Let’s just say that I wouldn’t turn off the tv.

59. stevezie says:

JDï™,

You bastard

60. Centre of attention says:

Special teams are all the difference right now. Not getting enough when they have the man advantage, and then giving up way too much when they are down a guy.

61. Centre of attention says:

Ryan: As an Oiler fan, I’ve had about enough of Byfuglien.

Byfuglien could handle Looch.

It would be an epic scrap but my moneys on Big Buff.

62. Lackadaisical says:

3-0. Oilers PK needs surgery.

Will a blood donation/sacrifice help?

63. speeds says:

Caggiula has played LW in the past, is that correct?

Might they look at something like:

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
    Caggiula-RNH-Versteeg
    Pouliot-Draisaitl-Yakupov
    Maroon-Letestu-Kassian
    Hendricks-Lander

64. JDï™ says:

stevezie:
    JDï™,

You bastard

I’m sorry, but this is a violation of Pouzar’s intellectual property rights.

Lackadaisical: Will a blood donation/sacrifice help?

Always.

66. stevezie says:

JDï™,

I torrented it.

67. Centre of attention says:

Loving Nuges game tonight.

68. Ronald Chevalier says:

what the hell did I miss?? The feed froze for about ten minutes in the second. Kassian got ten for what? Did Hendricks fight Buff?? Curse you feed!!!

69. JDï™ says:

stevezie,

Full circle.

70. Woogie63 says:

I wonder if Chevy is liking any of our LHD tonight?

71. RPG says:

Thorburn kinda looks like Carl Racki from Youngblood.

72. stevezie says:

RPG,

Whatever happened to Racki? And Icecastles! You guys remember icecastles? I’m going to go play violin on the roof for a while.

4-1. Oil PK is the story.

74. stevezie says:

Woogie63,

Good point.

75. ChiliChunk says:

Woodguy: When my daughter was 3-4 years old and I was going to a game she would always say:
    “Dad’s going to see his hockey friends”
    She assumed anyone who I talked about and went to see were my friends.
    She was quite disappointed when I took her to her first game and the players were not all my friends.

When my eldest daughter was 5 or 6 she would sit with me and watch games on TV fairly often and was very curious about the nights I would leave to play men’s league. One night she asked me how many people would come watch my games to which I replied “usually nobody”. She stared at me for a few seconds and said “well that’s embarrassing”.

76. Zelepukin says:

Oesterle has looked good tonight. Smart decisions, good keep-ins at the blue.

Hendricks and Lets need to be overcome by some of these 4th line young guys. Both just have hands of meat and are not quick footed. Basically just good at grinding in the corners and giving the appearance of trying really hard.

PJ seems to be getting an eye-opener to NHL speed too.

77. Alpine says:

Slepyshev reminds me of Dvorak a lot.

78. Bruce Wayne says:

Just watched a few minutes. Larsson is playing with Oesterle. What happened to Klefbom?

My heart. It is stopping.

79. stevezie says:

JDï™,

It was the 3.5 rating that really stung me

stevezie:
    RPG,

Isn’t/wasn’t IceCastles off fighting Russian green men with the Ukrainian far right in eastern Ukraine, or something like that?

81. Centre of attention says:

Klefbom didn’t play the third period now that I think of it.

Oh, those Oilers.

(fuck Byfuglien, seriously fuck him)

82. Centre of attention says:

4-1. Oil PK is the story.

Klefbom getting elbowed in the face is probably the bigger story here.

Lets hope its not serious and they pulled him as a precaution.

83. bill needle says:

If the Oilers are looking at Oesterle to play defence this season, they should keep looking.
    And hopefully Talbot can forget this one.

I’ve been waiting to make a prediction in Hunter’s Death March contest till I got to whether #ThoroughllyMediocreCoach and #BoyWonderCroft had fixed the special teams.

So far, it looks as if they are trying to out-dementor the dementor’s special teams.

Kassian was playing tonight…right? So why was Byfuglien running around?

86. Centre of attention says:

bill needle:
    And hopefully Talbot can forget this one.

Too many cross-crease passes got threw. That goal by Connor wouldn’t have happened if Reinhart wasn’t doing warmup stretches right in Cam’s face. Look at the goal again if you can, he seriously does the splits and just kind of sits down in the crease briefly with Cam.

godot10:
    Kassian was playing tonight…right?So why was Byfuglien running around?

Hendricks stepped up, that is a fact.

88. leadfarmer says:

godot10:
    I’ve been waiting to make a prediction in Hunter’s Death March contest till I got to whether #ThoroughllyMediocreCoach and #BoyWonderCroft hadfixed the special teams.

So did you bet the mortgage on the house on last year’s preseason results where Detroit and the Oilers won their conferences and Pittsburgh was near bottom of the standings.

89. Centre of attention says:

godot10:
    Kassian was playing tonight…right?So why was Byfuglien running around?

Hendricks had to step up, and Byfuglien body slammed him to the ice. Hendricks is still a warrior and he held in there without getting seriously hurt. That is a major feat considering his opponent. Seriously.

Kassian was late to the scrum and decided to jump some by stander instead of Byfuglien, almost getting an extra penalty.

90. delooper says:

godot10,

I thought he was in Rocky mountain House? Did he go to eastern Ukraine?

91. Wolfie says:

It’s a good thing that one wasn’t televised…. Ugly with a capital U.

92. Ryan says:

godot10:
    Kassian was playing tonight…right?So why was Byfuglien running around?

Buff is 6’5, 260 lbs.

He exists alone in his own weight class.

Kassian is more pest that pugilist.

I don’t see Kassian answering the bell with Byfuglien.

93. Oilspill says:

Larson on for 4 goals against? Bit worrisome!

delooper:
    godot10,

I thought he was in Rocky mountain House?Did he go to eastern Ukraine?

I don’t know. Just speculating based on his posts on this blog.

95. Centre of attention says:

Ryan: Buff is 6’5, 260 lbs.

He exists alone in his own weight class.

Kassian is more pest that pugilist.

I don’t see Kassian answering the bell with Byfuglien.

Like I said, even Looch would be in tough against Byfuglien. Dustin is half man, half bear.

(more like 75% bear IMO 😉 )

Ryan: Buff is 6’5, 260 lbs.

He exists alone in his own weight class.

Kassian is more pest that pugilist.

I don’t see Kassian answering the bell with Byfuglien.

Well then what’s the point of Kassian? Did he at least pretty up Petan like he did Gagner?

97. Zelepukin says:

Ryan: Buff is 6’5, 260 lbs.

He exists alone in his own weight class.

Kassian is more pest that pugilist.

I don’t see Kassian answering the bell with Byfuglien.

Ya he wasn’t running around, just finishing his checks which are always big. The Griff dump-in was a perfect example. Routine dump-in and Buf finished his check which Griff did not expect to be so heavy of a hit.

98. Zelepukin says:

godot10: Well then what’s the point of Kassian?

What’s the point of anyone thinking dropping the mitts with Buf is somehow going to scare him into stop finishing his checks? When has that ever happened ever?

99. Centre of attention says:

Oilspill:
    Larson on for 4 goals against?Bit worrisome!

Penalty kill was bad and it wasn’t all Larsson’s fault.

I’ve been satisfied with Larsson’s performance so far. It’s also preseason so one wonders how much you can read into things yet.

100. Clay says:

godot10: Well then what’s the point of Kassian?

Have you seen his eyeglow?

101. REDRIGGER says:

Oil2Oilers: Like the idea of this line up. With a built in 5th line waiting in the wings of
    Slepyshev-Caggiula-Kharia

kharia 13th forward

slep -cagguila-pulujarvi 19-23 mins a night in bakersfield and id bet they tear it up(provided there are a couple dmen able to get the puck up to them).

102. stevezie says:

godot10,

He or she was in Ukraine at some point. Not sure of the details.

103. StixMalone says:

Ben:
    My great-uncle’s prostate allows a more reliable stream than this.

104. Woogie63 says:

StixMalone: That is classic! I can’t understand in this tech rich country why we get third world streams!!!? No really, if Rogers is doing the NHL sponsorship you think they can back up their claims of being tech savvy. Can’t they???.

105. Bruce McCurdy says:

Ronald Chevalier:
    what the hell did I miss?? The feed froze for about ten minutes in the second.Kassian got ten for what? Did Hendricks fight Buff?? Curse you feed!!!

Klef scored after the feed came back, so it’s not like he went straight to the room.

106. Centre of attention says:

Bruce McCurdy: Same thing happened to me. Clock was at 10:xx when the picture froze and 4:xx when it finally came back. Missed the fight, missed the misconduct, most importantly missed the hit on Klefbom. Can someone who had a better feed please describe it?

Klefbom cut to the middle on a zone entry and Byfuglien caught him with a chicken wing. Popped his head back and knocked his helmet askew.

Klefbom was out on the powerplay while Byfuglien was in the box. He scored soon after but I think he missed the entire third period.

It seems like they pulled him as a precaution, maybe the doc’s noticed something weird between periods? Who knows. He has concussion history though so its a nail biter no matter what.

107. Frank the dog says:

Seems to me that winning is not the point in pre-season games. A refreshing change from wining the pre-season and then collapsing.
    But if we collapse out of the gate I will likely go demented.

108. Bruce Wayne says:

stevezie:
    godot10,

He or she was in Ukraine at some point. Not sure of the details.

Not serving with the far right, that is for sure. Godot should not spread slander, as cover for Russia’s tyranny.

109. namflashback says:

Neither Rogers nor OEG run the streaming anymore.

Last year, the NHL partnered with MLBA Media (MLBAM) and MLBAM now operates nhl.com and all the team sites.

Woogie63: The team is owned by the Edmonton ENTERTAINMENT GROUP, that streaming quality was not good enough for 8 years ago.

110. Professor Q says:

I unfortunately had to miss this game due to a Back From the Bush party.

Although they had the Flames game on…sigh.

What happened with the Byf hit?

Sheesh, do I not like that guy. I know he’s big and skilled but he is indeed dirty, despite his defenders.

111. Professor Q says:

Ryan: Buff is 6’5, 260 lbs.

He exists alone in his own weight class.

Kassian is more pest that pugilist.

I don’t see Kassian answering the bell with Byfuglien.

Kassian used to be near Byf’s size, as did Maroon and Lucic. All three have slimmed down significantly this off season and last year, however.

112. Pouzar says:

Alpine: Slepyshev reminds me of Dvorak a lot.

Yup. Was gonna say the same thing after his last game.

113. delooper says:

stevezie,

I recall he went to wester/central Ukraine as an election observer. As far as I know he didn’t get involved in the recent conflicts… Will email him to ensure he’s safe in Alberta.

114. Wolfie says:

Versteeg and PJ didn’t do much to stake a claim to Yak’s spot tonight…

115. Centre of attention says:

Jack Michaels ‏@EdmontonJack 21s21 seconds ago
    Caggiula may have been a bit quiet tonight, but he still won 10/16 draws, had 4 shots on net (2nd only to RNH), & finished +1 in a 5-1 loss.

116. russ99 says:

A bit scary we were so bad on the PK with our two best PK centers (RNH and Letestu) in tonight.

Hope Todd gives the regular team a good 3-4 game preseason run out, as we’re a bit underwhelming so far.

117. Gerta Rauss says:

McLellan post game

-covers a lot of ground, no surprise penalties/penalty killing were prominent

118. HT Joe says:

I missed the game, but for those who watched (and also for the mathier people here), how has Larsson been doing?

In particular, is he a fantastic defensive d-man with very little offensive upside? Or are his outlet passes really good?

I’d love to hear the preliminary feedback. Thanks in advance.

119. commonfan14 says:

Wolfie: Versteeg and PJ didn’t do much to stake a claim to Yak’s spot tonight…

It doesn’t matter. They’ve already decided to burn him for nothing.

They continue to do stupid things.

120. "Steve Smith" says:

Centre of attention:
    Jack Michaels ‏@EdmontonJack21s21 seconds ago

The fact of it being a 5-1 game is a bit of a red herring as it pertains to plus/minus when four of the five goals against were scored on the power play.

121. BONVIE says:

Pakaranen was on for 4 of the 5 goals against. Hopefully Kharia and Beck can kill penalties, because Lander and Pakaranen look every bit as bad as they were last year.

122. BONVIE says:

Centre of attention: I’m with LT. besides maybe 1 goal that he kind of put in himself by turning into the net, the team really needs to be better on the PK.

Your looking in the wrong spot if you think Reinhart was to blame on that goal look at the forward floating in front of Reinhart he needs to cover a guy that far left of the net when the puck is in the opposite corner. I know it’s been a theme to blame the defenseman for some guys, but when the puck is in your own zone you can’t have both Dmen working the corners one Dman should always be in front of the net where Reinhart was but that forward Pakaranen who was in front of the net has to get his head in the game he needs to be aggressive and cover open men set up wide and let the D do their job out front.

123. Ryan says:

BONVIE:

You’re looking in the wrong spot if you think Reinhart was to blame on that goal. Look at the forward floating in front of Reinhart; he needs to cover a guy that far left of the net when the puck is in the opposite corner. I know it’s been a theme to blame the defenseman for some guys, but when the puck is in your own zone you can’t have both Dmen working the corners. One Dman should always be in front of the net where Reinhart was, but that forward Pakaranen who was in front of the net has to get his head in the game. He needs to be aggressive and cover open men set up wide and let the D do their job out front.

FTFY

124. russ99 says:

McLellan really needs to lay down the law on blown coverage by forwards in the d-zone.

Really needs to improve this year if we’re going to do anything.

« Older Comments