BETWEEN THE BUTTONS

The Edmonton Oilers ran their exhibition record to 3-2-0 with a costly victory over the Los Angeles Kings last night, as Brandon Davidson (day-to-day) and Iiro Pakarinein (at least a month, according to Todd McLellan via Jack Michaels) hit the ice in dramatic fashion.

PLAYER NOTES

• G Laurent Brossoit: Played well for most of the game, at least one goal was tipped and the second GA may have been, too. Likely to be start the season in Bakersfield, but the battle for backup is winnable and one suspects he has an inside champion among the management group. I think he is a better G than Jonas Gustavsson, which is not the same as saying he is a capable backup.  Stopped 27 of 29 .931.
  • Jonas Gustavsson: DNP, likely gets the game Tuesday or Thursday.
  • LD Darnell Nurse: He had some distressing shifts early, but settled in as the game wore on. I saw some calm feet and good passes, and of course there were periods when those things were not on display. Young defenders take time, but this was an encouraging outing. Oilers should not rush this player. Oilers should not rush this player.
  • LD Brandon Davidson: Made some errant passes too, but was the first of the pair to settle in and play his game. Mobile defender began finding the range by pass and carry before the other blue, and for my money was the best in the group. The head hit was idiotic and the penalty should involve hot coals.
  • LD Jordan Oesterle: His mobility was on display and stood out compared to some of Edmonton’s defenders. I think he dealt with the chaos of his pairing pretty well, and would suggest his performance was the best of the three D who played last night (and are applying for No. 7 job). He is the modern prototype.
  • RD Matt Benning: He is a difficult player to get surrounded in terms of skill set. Undersized, he is determined and hits like a truck. Also wins more battles than you would think. Good passer, I think he needs time but could easily see NHL duty at some point this year. Picked up an assist on the McDavid goal. Good skater, suspect he is fairly high on Chiarelli’s whiteboard.
  • LD Mark Fraser: The boots will keep him from playing much (or at all) in the NHL, but he is a Chiarelli player. Heavy, heavy hitter, cannot imagine it is much fun to play against him. Very little finesse, grabbed an assist so what do I know.
  • RD Eric Gryba: Big man finally gets a chance during this TC. Slow wheels early, and an insane icing sequence late, but overall I was struck by his ability to defend. I know you don’t like it, but defending is useful—perhaps even necessary! Had some crushing hits on a night when the Kings were running Oilmen.
  • LC Connor McDavid: Scored a goal and an assist, actually had another goal but the ref blew the whistle. How many chances? I don’t know, eight? Contested all over the ice, sublime skater in coast mode, something other-worldly when the jet boots kick in. The mind kind of blurs, I find myself impatient for his next shift. Why must these other people get their turns, anyway? Six shots on goal.
  • L Milan Lucic: He is finding his way now, picked up an assist on the Eberle goal and made some nice decisions with the puck. Not every sortie works, but he usually does something in a shift that makes you notice. I do not like ML on the power play, wonder if the Oilers are beginning to think about Pouliot as an alternative.
  • R Jordan Eberle: Smoked the goal, that tells us the shoulder injury is over and he should be able to one-time the puck. 35 goals? He could post a very strong number if everyone plays 82, like Ken Hodge in 1969. 1-1-2 on the night. The line was much better last night.
  • C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins: Skated miles, worked hard, I do not recall a shot on goal and he was not on the ice for a goal either way. I liked his work and his passing, would like to see him be more aggressive offensively. At the end of his career, Dave Keon expressed regret at not having been more aggressive, to push once the puck turned over.
  • R Jesse Puljujarvi: Fabulous goal, it was a shot from Laredo but had real torque. Cannot believe the Oilers good fortune at having him fall to them. Hey-zeus they have had a run at the draft table. He needs to keep playing well, but I liked his game last night.
  • L Benoit Pouliot: Sublime two-way winger picks off errant passes and disrupts progress routinely. Two shots on what proved to be a quieter offensive line for him (he moved down for a time after the Pakarinen injury), I still liked his game a lot.
  • C Drake Caggiula: The impact games may be gone (LAK had several NHLers) but it was a good game to my eye. Took a nasty cross check to the face (McNabb?) but kept on coming. He is a slippery bugger, and skilled. There was a play (second period) where he got himself from a poor shooting position to a good one while being closely guarded all the while. Impressive little moment. Needs to keep doing this and the competition is increasing.
  • L-R Kris Versteeg: He was in the middle of several things and forechecked well. Did not show a lot of offense, but made himself useful in other ways. His skating looks fine to me and he is good with the puck on his stick. How on earth this guy arrived on a PTO is one of life’s great mysteries. Sign the man.
  • R Nail Yakupov: I saw him very good last night, he was creative, hard on the puck and involved physically. In fact, Caggiula with the two Russian wingers were a complete pain in the ass for the Kings when they were together. Todd McLellan may have found a sweet spot there (3line with Caggiula) where the Russian can flourish. If we see Caggiula-Yakupov opening night, remember Vernon.
  • L Anton Slepyshev: He was very effective last night, using his size and speed to get into the action and have an impact. Picked up an assist on the Puljujarvi goal, skated miles and seems to be on the right side of the puck more often than one year ago. Impressive player.
  • C Anton Lander: He had a better game, in the role he would likely play if he should make the Oilers (not a sure thing). He was good in the FO circle, does have a physical side (and that showed a little last night) and can help a team. His speed is a concern, as that 3-4line axis has some slow boots built in.
  • R Iiro Pakarinen: Nasty injury, and it sounds like he will be gone for a month or so (early words from Todd McLellan).

NEXT ROUND OF CUTS

I think we can play along from here and get close to the roster. Laurent Brossoit may get one more appearance, and he has outplayed Jonas Gustavsson, but the easy play is to send the youngster to Bakersfield to start the season. On defense, Mark Fraser and Dillon Simpson would appear to be next up, suspect Griffin Reinhart gets another chance—with Matt Benning probably getting another start, too. For me, the 7D job is likely down to Jordan Oesterle versus Eric Gryba and it is possible both men make the team (8D). Up front, Edmonton could send down Jere Sallinen, Anton Slepyshev and Tyler Pitlick—although the injury to Iiro Pakarinen may change some plans.

JAMES WISNIEWSKI 2014-15

• 5×5 points per 60: 0.91
  • 5×4 points per 60: 3.94
  • Corsi for 5×5 %: 49.1
  • Qual Comp: 3rd pairing
  • Qual Team: 2nd pairing
  • Corsi for 5×5 % REL: 4.7
  • Shots on goal/percentage: 147 shots/5.4
  • Boxcars: 69, 8-26-34
  • (All numbers via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com and BehindtheNet.ca)

He was injured a year ago, so this is the latest information we have to view Wisniewski. It is later in camp, but the Edmonton Oilers do not have a RH shooter from the point on the power play. My suspicion is that the team does have plans to sign one or both of their PTO invites still in camp, so Wisniewski may not be an option. I believe he should be a strong option for this team—this is a player who would be a solid fit for a real need. Perhaps PC has another player in mind? You have to believe Wisniewski’s skating issues are phenomenal.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260—heavy on the hockey today. Scheduled to appear:

• Scott Burnside, ESPN. WCOH, injuries, RFAs and training camp battles.
  • Sunil Agnihotri, Copper & Blue/The SuperFan. Oilers roster spots, where to play Yakupov, top 6D, where to play Leon.
  • Jason Gregor, TSN1260. Oilers and Yak, Eskimos win a big game, Blue Jays!
  • Andrew Stoeten, BlueJays Nation. Toronto is in for the wild card game, will they be in Texas later this week?

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon! (I am on the round table today).

162 Responses to "BETWEEN THE BUTTONS"

1. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March is back for the 2016-17 season!

Here’s how you play: Pick the exact number of points you think the Oilers will have at the end of the season.

Then, after the usual training camp hypejobs stop and the real NHL starts, Oilers usually lose 2-3 defencemen and spent the rest of the season chasing/debating the lottery. What better way to enjoy those pointless, meaningless games than The Hunter1909 Official Oilers Death March™?

Last year had well over 200 players. Prizes being sorted as this message gets posted for last season’s winners who will be notified at a later date.

Contest Entry: Open until puck drop on opening night. Think of a giant guillotine blade – once the first puck drops it’s all over.

2. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

I’m really curious about Wiz. If he’s the guy he was 2 years ago, then signing him is the obvious choice. The fact that no one has done so yet, and that he was cut so early from his chosen PTO, raises some questions for sure.

Some folks on twitter and the like are brushing the release off as Tampa not having the cap space. The only correct response to this is…. maybe? We really don’t know.

I will say this. If the issue is cap space, and he really is playing well, I’d be surprised. This is a player that could likely be had (at this point) for around $1m, meaning you can probably add him and find a way to subtract someone more expensive. You would think players on a PTO option represent the potential for cap flexibility, not constraint.

Or maybe not.

All I know is that there is a decent chance that, given his injury history, Wiz has simply lost his wheels much like Ryan Whitney did some years ago. If this is a player that can’t turn left, he’s not going to help on the powerplay or at all.

3. PhrankLee says:

A great write up, LT! Glad to find everything in it’s place here as usual.

Micah Blake McCurdy over at @IneffectiveMath does a great job with the 2016/2017 season simulations. I thought you would like the article.

Thanks again, LT for beacon, long-shot and hope.

4. rickithebear says:

“Undersized, he is determined and hits like a truck.”
    Gryba 228
    Klefbom 215
    Nurse 213
    Fayne 212
    Reinhart 212
    Davidson 210
    Larsson 205
    Benning 202
    Sekera 198
    Simpson 194
    Oesterle 182
    EDIT:Above are web site weights

below are Camp weights:
    Gryba 225
    Klefbom 220
    Nurse 220
    Fayne 216
    Larsson 215
    Reinhart 213
    Davidson 207
    Sekera 201
    Simpson 198
    Benning 195
    Oesterle 191

5. Henry says:

Hunter: I want 102 points. And a pony.

Thanks

6. Ducey says:

Is there any verbal on how Wiz looked in preseason so far? You can’t take a lot out of preseason games but it would be something.

I’d be pretty careful before signing him. He has not played in a year, is 32, and is coming off a major injury.

7. bsmart says:

Hunter, I will take 91 points. Thanks

8. Woogie63 says:

LB vs Condor vs. Oilers

Condors

Between now and December 30 Condors play 32 games, 18 of which are back to back. It is reasonable to expect LB to play 24 games and get 36 GOOD practices days

Oilers

it would be reasonable LB play in 10 games and have 5-10 GOOD practice days

9. SpotTheLoon says:

hunter1909,

I will go with 83 points.

Thanks

10. LMHF#1 says:

Mark Fraser is such a terrible hockey player at the NHL level. How many more generations of the game before you can’t have a middling career doing what he does?

Nothing personal against the guy…I just don’t like watching players in Oilers jerseys who couldn’t out-pass my Midget team.

11. Dr. Taboggan says:

Hunter you are a beauty. Put me down for 77.

12. fifthcartel says:

Gryba might be able to defend but is ability to take and make a pass is horrendous. Rogers Place is going to have so much wear and tear on the glass if they sign Gryba.

13. DRFNsuperstar says:

What’s the 50 man list looking like these days? Can Chia sign Versteeg and Wiz?

That team in Bakersfield would be a contender with a young core of Khaira, Reinhart, Slepyshev, Drake, Puljujärvi, Benning, and Brossoit if Chia does the right thing. Did anyone notice the LA team with only a few returning players looked exactly like the kings teams of the last 5 years? How does Lombardi keep drafting and developing the same style of player, while finding goalie gems and having competitive teams at both the AHL and NHL level? Plus get out of toxic contracts through loopholes (I really hope Vegas doesn’t take Brown!)

14. stush18 says:

fifthcartel:

I really liked his game. I mean are really able to say that gryba or fayne is better at passing than either of each other?

Hockey is all about 1v1 battles. You have to get around your man and create an odd man situation around the puck, and then get to the net. Gryba separates, and moves the puck away from his man. I’m honestly very happy with a lineup of

Klef-Larsson
    Sekera-fayne
    Davidson-gryba

I honestly believe this becomes one of the stingier defenses in the league.

15. digger50 says:

The team needs a mix of players and if you don’t have any Gryba or Fraser types then the Puck movers just get run through the boards. (Osterle) i don’t mean enforcers, just son of a b*iach who is tough to play against. I see a need for a heavy 6th or 7th d man.

16. stush18 says:

I know you’re high on oesterle LT, and I love his offensive ability, but if I’m getzlaf and perry I’m targeting that corner all game and walking out uncontested.

Edit*kinda what digger said ^

17. Woogie63 says:

DRFNsuperstar,

Re: how does LAK keep developing the same player ….

Darren Abbott has been a great leader of Monarchs and now the Reign he would be a sneaky excellent addition to the Oilers.

18. rickithebear says:

Oiler forwards camp weights (lb/in)
    Lucic LW 236 (3.15)
    Maroon LW 227 (3.03)
    ————————–
    Slepyshev LW/RW 217 (2.93)
    Draisatl C 214 (2.93)
    RNH C 190 (2.64)
    Mcdavid C 190 (2.60)
    ———————–
    Caguilla RW/C 185 (2.78)
    Eberle RW 184 (2.59)
    Lander C 183 (2.54)

PC likes him some size and position verstility

19. digger50 says:

So it seems the end of last season was only yesterday and we were talking all the improvements that needed to happen over the summer. Those that put down low expectations in Hunters death march should be pissed. If you do not think playoffs are possible this year then you or we should be screaming “it has not been enough!”

I think Chia has been hunting high and low for more players without wanting to give away any more skill. Two PTO in camp, thank god really. We knew thier was a high likelihood for a third line centre but surprised the bet was going to be on a rookie.

The roster and depth keeps building but I think we may still be a dollar short.

However, Hunter if you can put me down for an optimistic 93 points please and thanks.

20. russ99 says:

DRFNsuperstar:
    What’s the 50 man list looking like these days? Can Chia sign Versteeg and Wiz?

So we should have room for Versteeg and one more player.

Caggiula is making the Oilers, book it.

21. rickithebear says:

fifthcartel:

So you are saying you do not care about defence or giving up goals.

You want to see that speed transition offence from the 3rd and 4th line players he is going to play with.

OK then!

22. Tire Fire says:

Sitting in the hospital, bedside, while the wife naps between what looks like hellish contractions. Will be our first. Oilers: you’re on the clock to become respectable before she becomes a fan of another team.

23. Jethro Tull says:

Tire Fire:
    Sitting in the hospital, bedside, while the wife naps between what looks like hellish contractions.Will be our first. Oilers: you’re on the clock to become respectable before she becomes a fan of another team.

Congratulations, hope everything goes smoothly.

24. Yeti says:

Tire Fire:

Congrats, it’s great that you’re bringing a little Tire Fire into the world!
    (My wife went into contractions during Game 7 of the SCF. Yes, that Game 7! It made losing rather irrelevant in big scheme of things).

25. Aron_S says:

hunter1909,

Put me down for 83 points and I’ll pray to the Gords I’m well below the actual standings.

Thanks!

26. delooper says:

JDï™:
    Interesting read from Jim Rutherford:

That’s a lovely little article. It gives a good sense for the space a GM operates in.

27. fifthcartel says:

stush18,

I saw a slow defensemen who cannot handle the puck well at all. With Fayne and the other defensemen on the roster I just can’t see the need to spend cap space + a contract spot on Eric Gryba.

But I still fully expect the Oilers to sign Gryba.

28. Fog of Warts says:

PhrankLee: http://hockeyviz.com/txt/preview1617/preview.html

Man, Micah consistently gets more right than wrong, which in the world of statistical exposition is a blind freaking miracle.

It’s almost like if I absent-mindedly lowered my skeptical shields for a sloppy sixty seconds, I wouldn’t even feel obligated to go for a blood test.

Emphasis on “kind of”.

But it sure is nice, nevertheless.

29. LadiesloveSmid says:

Mark Fraser on waivers

30. Evilas says:

Tire Fire,

Congrats and best wishes!

31. Ronald Chevalier says:

Hunter, I will go for 89 points!

32. Eastern Oil says:

Tire Fire:

Congrats! Enjoy the ride my friend. We just had our second 3 months ago and I fainted and drilled my face off of the rocking chair in the room. Do not have a history of fainting, and never had a problem with the first either.

So I watched my second being born from a nearby bench, and then had to go to Emerg so they could make sure I did not have a concussion.

But, in the end, I was a little bruised (especially my pride) but my wife and boy were healthy and happy and that’s all I cared about.

33. Elkhorn Boy says:

Hunter, put me down for 84 please….. I saw Yak as playing a solid game too LT. Hope he is part of the solution moving forward but will need to see sustained good play, and that hasn’t been his MO for a while now.

34. leadfarmer says:

JDï™:
    Interesting read from Jim Rutherford:

A couple of weeks ago we were talking about the importance of speed in todays NHL and someone mentioned if its that important why dont GMs talk about it like they talk about getting bigger and I said that its coming. Notice how many times he talks about speed and how few times he mentions getting bigger and stronger

35. stush18 says:

fifthcartel:
    stush18,

But I still fully expect the Oilers to sign Gryba.

fair enough. You know exactly what you’re getting with gryba. To me he had excellent results last year on the third pair, and was our best penalty killer. Again last night I would say he was our best “defender”. Ya nurse and benning battle hard, and they obviously have more upside, but I’d rather have them playing lots in the minors than playing limited ev min and PK.

I also want to free up Larsson from his heavy zone starts a bit, and give him some pp time. I’d run some combination of Davidson-gryba and split the minutes between the rest of the guys.

36. pocession charge says:

leadfarmer: A couple of weeks ago we were talking about the importance of speed in todays NHL and someone mentioned if its that important why dont GMs talk about it like they talk about getting bigger and I said that its coming.Notice how many times he talks about speed and how few times he mentions getting bigger and stronger

What I took away from his article was that there is no specific style that is paramount to winning. Each team is built differently and you should not chase the trends.

He also mentioned heart, character, and determination several times. Pfft. What does that have to do with winning? And he didn’t even talk about compelting other GM’s into trading their star players for less than market value. Oh right, that’s the Ray Shero article…..

Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers 30s30 seconds ago
    The #Oilers have also assigned forward Tyler Benson to the @WHLGiants & forward Jere Sallinen to the @Condors.

38. Bruce Wayne says:

I maintain that guys like Gryba, and especially Fraser, are not in fact good defensively. It may look like they are good, but they allow more shots, chances, and goals, than guys who are more agile and better with the puck.

They are the hockey equivalent of the backup catcher who is “good” defensively. He’s not actually good defensively but he can’t hit at all and so he must be good defensively.

Now Gryba shoots right, which matters, and he’s not Fraser bad, so he might indeed be better than Oesterle on the right side, but defensive defensemen are overated in general by the league.

In any case this is an empirical question, easily answered.

39. Woogie63 says:

Tire Fire:

Enjoy the moment …hoping you and Mrs Tire Fire have a healthy little “Connor”

40. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Chicago sent Gustafson to the AHL too. I know he’s a favourite long shot of yours.

41. dustrock says:

Interesting that he said the lack of speed became an issue,. especially in the 2nd half of back-to-back games. Never really considered that aspect before.

42. slopitch says:

Hunter: I’ll take 93 pts and playoffs please and thankyou.

If I’m Chai I do this… this will be my stance till tomorrow.

27-97-14
    67-93/29-29/93
    Versteeg-DC-Yak
    Maroon-Testube-Kassian

Klef-Larsson
    Sekera-Fayne
    Nurse-Davidson
    Osterle

Id let Gryba go and save my powder dry for a PP RHD. Gyrba isnt better the Osterle or Reinhart imo.

43. slopitch says:

Too bad the Oilers didnt get in on Zaitsev. Coulda been a decent 3rd pairing PP guy. RHD.

44. Cameron says:

hunter1909,

I’ll take 85 points please.

45. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

slopitch,

Considering we have about a 1 in 30 chance of acquiring any of the outside the league UFA types I’d say we did pretty well landing Caggiula and Benning. Can’t catch’em all.

46. Ducey says:

russ99: I think we’re at 47, but we have to start the year with Ference on the 50 man and the roster in order to move him to LTIR, so our roster and 50-man will need to have space for an extra, until he’s on LTIR.

So we should have room for Versteeg and one more player.

Caggiula is making the Oilers, book it.

LTIR doesn’t impact the 50 man, I don’t think.

47. Ducey says:

Evilas:
    Ducey,

Here are some of his preseason results:

Thanks. Not sure what we can make of that. Pretty small samples. I guess its good he was playing 20 minutes a night.

48. slopitch says:

Ca$h-McMoney!: giula and Benning. Can’t catch’em all.

Oh totally. Just a good fit for team need + opportunity.

49. kooler says:

Any news on suspension hearing for Pearson and has he been suspended before?

Any word on Davidson?

Missed the beinging of the game, what happend to Pakarinen? Thanks

50. JDï™ says:

kooler: Pakarinen

His knee folded under as he went down while battling along the boards. Looked like his skate got caught in the ice. Not good.

51. Pastor of Disaster says:

Hunter, I posted at about midnight a week ago, not sure if you saw it, but could you put me down for 84 points please? Thanks!

52. knighttown says:

75 points Hunter

53. Pouzar says:

‘ I think he is a better G than Jonas Gustavsson, which is not the same as saying he is a capable backup. Stopped 27 of 29 .931.”

Perfectly said.

———————-
    #8 Markov 3.38
    #9 Krug 3.21
    #10 Byfuglien 3.20

I want to see if Sekera can handle 4.50 PPTOI

55. Skook says:

Hunter, put me down for 101 points (which will also demonstrate why I lurk instead of posting).

56. Frank the dog says:

Hunter, we can change our forecast right up to puck drop, right?

57. Oiln5 says:

Brossoit and JP are in the same situation. Both would provide upgrades at the NHL level. Both should be seasoned for 1 more year.

58. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

Oiln5,

Not sure I agree on LB. Maybe not right away, but saying he needs a year in the AHL because he will get more games there is a self fulfilling prophecy. If he plays all year in the AHL what reason will we have to make a different determination next year.

He’s not that young. He’s going to have to play backup NHL minutes eventually. If he shows well I’d rather experiment this year than next, when we might actually be good.

59. Kepler says:

Hunter: I will go with 104 points please.

Thanks!

60. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

You can count me as someone who thinks losing Pak for a month is a good thing.

Not saying that to be a jerk, I wish the individual the best, but as a team this forces a decision on us. It forces a test of a different look at the position. If it works we have ourselves an upgrade, if it doesn’t we have Pak back to play his 8 minutes in November.

61. kinger_OIL says:

– “sigh”Spoke to my best hockey source. Smartest guy I know in hockey. He says : “Oil still suck”

62. stush18 says:

Ca$h-McMoney!:
    You can count me as someone who thinks losing Pak for a month is a good thing.

Not saying that to be a jerk, I wish the individual the best, but as a team this forces a decision on us.It forces a test of a different look at the position.If it works we have ourselves an upgrade, if it doesn’t we have Pak back to play his 8 minutes in November.

I been a bit of a voice for pak, but I kinda agree. It gives us room to see what other players can do. One less guy to send down

63. jake70 says:

knighttown:
    75 points Hunter

You do know Justin Schultz is not on the active roster right?? 🙂

64. theWaxCollector says:

It was great to see Nurse get in Pearson’s face after the hit, been waiting to see that from someone all preseason

65. LadiesloveSmid says:

ho boy. from reddit, here’s a Reinhart pre-season highlight reel

66. Frank the dog says:

theWaxCollector:

Did Lucic leave his cojones in Boston? I haven’t seen him mean since then. Didn’t even teach Nurse a lesson. He’s too nice now. Almost like Laraque went. Next thing he’ll become a vegan and sing Kumbaya in the locker room.

67. striatic says:

Gord bless those optimists selecting 90 plus points and playoffs this season. Especially with the potential of missing Klefbom and Davidson to start the season.

68. Frank the dog says:

striatic:

Klef is skating now. Seems ok. Davey is lightly concussed. That’s a concern. Watching this made me drop from 96 to the 70’s in points. Refs also seem the same as last year.

69. striatic says:

Frank the dog,

Reserving judgment until regular season.

70. LadiesloveSmid says:

striatic:

I’m thinking with average luck in regards to health, and the right deployment by TMac they could get to 91 or 94 points. I forget which was my prediction

71. striatic says:

Frank the dog,

McLellan referred to Klef as being “healthier” this season as opposed to “healthy” this season. Kremlinology, but that wasn’t a good sign to start preseason. I don’t think it’ll take much to keep him out of the lineup.

72. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

striatic,

If I pick a number below 90 I need to seriously question why I cheer for the team. In order to avoid that I pick a high number without really believing deep down it will happen.

73. bhooradley says:

Hunter, 88 points in honor of young Davidson please. Thanks for doing this again.

74. Water Fire says:

JDï™:
    Interesting read from Jim Rutherford:

Putting players in a position to succeed really seems like a plan.

Getting slower doesn’t though.

75. jonrmcleod says:

Hunter, what were the other guesses? Hmmmm…1 point, please. Closest without going over wins, right?

Just kidding.

86 points

76. Chachi says:

kinger_OIL:
    – “sigh”Spoke to my best hockey source.Smartest guy I know in hockey.He says : “Oil still suck”

Well, he sounds really smart…

77. Jethro Tull says:

striatic:
    Frank the dog,

Maybe TMac’s just moor gooder at grammer this year.

It’s not a lie. Klef IS healthier this year.

78. LadiesloveSmid says:

Stauffer seems to think Gryba is a better PKer than Fayne, shot attempts and xGF% suggests Sekera-Nurse-Fayne are EDM’s best PKers. That said, I have a hard time figuring out how to measure PK ability aside from by eye

79. kinger_OIL says:

– Caggulia won’t have the room he does now. Anyway, my number for Hunter TBD, and in a lull this week I will post an update on this poll from the summer, pre-draft doldrums.

There is really only the last question still outstanding, from the 80 or so who responded:

1) Who will the first player drafted by the Oil this year? : A few had Pulji
    2) Name one D that the Oil will acquire, not currently on roster : No one picked Larsson
    3) Name another D that the Oil will acquire, (no one is fine) – So far, “no one” is right answer
    4) Who will be the backup goalie next year – No one had Monster, Brossoit had many votes: TBD
    5) Will one of the Steve Austins (Ebs/Hall/RNH) be traded – one person had Hall!
    6) Which NHL roster players will be bought-out or sent to AHL before start of next season: TBD
    7) Who is going to be the forward acquired with the biggest salary in the off-season: 2 picked Lucic
    8) Will MacT and/or Howson be “reassigned”? – Some got Howson right
    9) How many separate trades will the Oil complete – Only 1 (or am I forgetting others?)
    10) Of Griff/Nurse/Davidson/Osterle/Klef: which ones will be on starting roster for first game – TBD

– Basically we all suck at reading the tea-leaves, and the draft pick was really found luck.

80. RexLibris says:

jonrmcleod:

Just kidding.

86 points

Dang it! That was my guess.

Fine, I’ll go heavy on Bettman points and say 3.

81. Oilspill says:

Interesting the icing at the end by Gryba. I was kind of pissed but then I thought what we’re his options?
    6 on 5 tonnnes(metric) of pressure when draw was won.
    A. SKATE it out..not even Karlsson could do that.
    B. Pass to someone 6 to 10 ft away and out manned. 80% chance of turnover.
    C Flip it high …tend to need time and room. High chance of turnover or accidentally put over glass.
    D. RIM it hard opposite way. High chance d man stops it gaining possession in offensive zone or icing anyway if he misses it.

Interested what the hockey scholars think he should have done. I’ve played upto CIS and I’m not sure what options he had?

jonrmcleod:

Just kidding.

86 points

82. Cowboy says:

Hunter I will take 94 please

83. RexLibris says:

kinger_OIL:

– Caggulia won’t have the room he does now.Anyway,my number for Hunter TBD, and in a lull this week I will postan update on this poll from the summer, pre-draft doldrums.

1) Who will the first player drafted by the Oil this year? : A few had Pulji
    8) Will MacT and/or Howson be “reassigned”? – Some got Howson right

Sounds like we were trying to read tea leaves when the Oilers were drinking coffee.

84. kinger_OIL says:

Chachi: Well, he sounds really smart…

– Well that was the coles note version! He always gives me insight from a hockey insider that is way ahead of the curve. Has a great pulse on the league given his background.

– Told me “They need to trade Hall” years ago. Posted that here, got killed. I rarely share his nuggets though, but it helps frame my dialogue when posting here about the Oil and the league

– Noone has a crystal ball. I respect him though when he says this team still just isn’t that good

85. Jethro Tull says:

kinger_OIL: – My smart guys issue with that game was that it was about 40% as physical as the real L.A. regular season game, and guys are still getting crushed.

Ah! You’ve given ‘Physicality’ a number, indicating it is quantifiable! So, what metrics are you using? DouchebagShotsToTheHead/60? Hmm?

And if guys are STILL getting ‘crushed’ at 40%, wouldn’t this indicate a wasted effort of 60% during the regular season? Maybe pace yourselves and use it in the off-season? Hmm?

Is your friend ‘old school’? MOAR BIGGAR, MOAR HITS? Hmm?

86. ashley says:

kinger_OIL: – Well that was the coles note version!He always gives me insight from a hockey insider that is way ahead of the curve.Has a great pulse on the league given his background.

– Told me “They need to trade Hall” years ago.Posted that here, got killed.I rarely share his nuggets though, but it helps frame my dialogue when posting here about the Oil and the league

– Noone has a crystal ball.I respect him though when he says this team still just isn’t that good

Sounds like DSF. Smart guy. He doesn’t post here much anymore.

87. kinger_OIL says:

Jethro Tull: Ah!You’ve given ‘Physicality’ a number, indicating it is quantifiable!So, what metrics are you using?DouchebagShotsToTheHead/60? Hmm?

And if guys are STILL getting ‘crushed’ at 40%, wouldn’t this indicate a wasted effort of 60% during the regular season?Maybe pace yourselves and use it in the off-season?Hmm?

Is your friend ‘old school’?MOAR BIGGAR, MOAR HITS? Hmm?

– Don’t know how you infer MOAR Big from that ? Certainly he didn’t.

– There’s small minority in here who are “homer’s with perspective” They are my favourite posters

88. Oddspell says:

kinger_OIL,

While I agree with your friend on his analysis of last night, I also think it’s worth noting that the Oilers didn’t dress a very physical lineup, and our prize ox Lucic is still figuring things out.

No Maroon, Drai, Kassian, Hendricks. That’s a third of our forwards, and 4/5 of our biggest/most physical forwards. I don’t think preseason so far is a good indication of how the Oilers will play. I’ll give it a couple regular season games.

89. RexLibris says:

kinger_OIL: – No his point was that despite the win, they didn’t look good dealing with the pysical component vs a team that wasn’t playing at the physical intensity of the regular season.

– Don’t know how you infer MOAR Big from that ?Certainly he didn’t.

– There’s small minority in here who are “homer’s with perspective”They are my favourite posters

I wasn’t terribly encouraged by the win last night either.

Now, they were without Klefbom, Larsson and Draisaitl to name three, but the Kings were dressing a backup goalie and were without more than a few of their big stars as well.

Seemed the Kings owned the pace of play and the Oilers’ zone for large portions of the night.

A lot of variables at play that lead to that, and the absences mentioned are among them, but altogether it was a win I’ll take and then gladly move on to what I hope are better games.

90. Colieo87 says:

hunter1909,

put me down for 86 points please

As someone who liked Jakob Chychrun a lot last year, pimped him until the end and thought everyone was missing the boat as he fell in the draft rankings it pleases me to no end to read stuff like this:

Chychrun has shown so well to this point in camp, there’s an excellent chance he will, at the very least, start this season in the NHL, not with the Sarnia Sting of the Ontario Hockey League. Chychrun could play as many as nine regular-season games without burning the first-year of his entry-level contract and we shouldn’t be surprised if he gets that opportunity.

A rookie hater like Tippett doesn’t fuck around with this stuff. If you are playing its because he thinks you should play.

His 16 year old year is the 2nd best in the last 10+ years only to Doughty.

Many really underestimated what Hatcher’s influence on his play was and how long it takes to recover from shoulder problems.

This kid’s gonna be very good.

92. auzy11 says:

Nurse i feel needs more time in the miners,i wonder if the Oil have ever taken a look at Ville Pokka who is stuck behind a bunch in Chi Town,played for the Finns ins Worlds last year and at World Cup,the kid is ready and has talent,i am hearing the Hawks want an arm and leg for him….if not money woes i would send Nurse for Trouba,but then you have to pay Trouba 5.5-6.0 mill per year,,,,,Bottom line do you want to win or spend years waiting for players to develop….We have waited long enough….

93. Chachi says:

Woodguy:

94. LadiesloveSmid says:

ashley: Sounds like DSF.Smart guy.He doesn’t post here much anymore.

DSF was either a smart troll or empty in the head when it comes to hockey, I believe the former

Said Colborne was as good as Draisaitl would get, RNH has never scored 50P, when the oilers won the lottery he just commented on how screwed they were cap-wise, thinks Klefbom=Lindell/Nemeth, oilers should trade Eberle+1st for Hanzal, recently that Matthews/MacKinnon could be better than McDavid.

Made me turn away from the site on a number of occasions, was glad he decided to step out on his own terms

95. Bruce Wayne says:

So let’s see, the team followed your insider’s advice, and the result of following this insider’s advice is that the team still sucks.

Ergo, either not have followed the insider’s advice or
    should not trust the insider’s judgement, in which case,
    the team should not have traded Hall, thereby following the insider’s advice.

Or, in other words, the two propositions from your insider are clearly contradictory.

96. RexLibris says:

Woodguy,

I imagine some teeth are gnashing in Detroit about this.

I just hope Chychrun helps the Coyotes succeed AFTER Doan retires.

97. pocession charge says:

Oilspill:
    6 on 5 tonnnes(metric) of pressure when draw was won.
    A. SKATE it out..not even Karlsson could do that.
    B. Pass to someone 6 to 10 ft away and out manned. 80% chance of turnover.

He needs to play with his head up. Gryba got that puck and rifled it off the glass without looking. When he got full control of the puck, the Kings started to head to the bench for a line change because they had been out there for awhile. There was little to no pressure coming. Gryba could have circled the puck back deeper into his zone and had all the time in the world to make a play. He panicked and iced the puck. That line about Karlsson not being able to skate the puck out on that play is silly — there was no pressure.

98. Pouzar says:

pocession charge: He needs to play with his head up.Gryba got that puck and rifled it off the glass without looking.When he got full control of the puck, the Kings started to head to the bench for a line change because they had been out there for awhile.There was little to no pressure coming.Gryba could have circled the puck back deeper into his zone and had all the time in the world to make a play.He panicked and iced the puck.That line about Karlsson not being able to skate the puck out on that play is silly — there was no pressure.

Yup.

99. Woogie63 says:

Hunter, can I get back to you on April 9 around 10:13 MST?

100. Ca$h-McMoney! says:

LadiesloveSmid,

Granlund > Hall offensively continues to be his high water mark.

101. RexLibris says:

To be fair, DSF did say that I should be ashamed of myself and I am.

I write for a Flames’ blog.

The shame is crippling.

There are days where I can scarcely find strength to draw breath.

Seriously though, I’ve engaged DSF on twitter several times and while we often disagree, I’ve generally appreciated hearing his perspective.

102. Water Fire says:

– Don’t know how you infer MOAR Big from that ?Certainly he didn’t.

Speed and tempo make size irrelevant. How did the big Sharks do against the Pens? They should have taken that rag tag beat up D to the cleaners, but couldn’t handle the pace.

Rutherford put it well in the article. To me basically it comes down to first using what you have in the best way and augmenting that, and second to what the league is calling.

If they are calling obstruction speed and tempo are king. If they aren’t then size is king. I don’t expect LA to win again. I also don’t think the Sharks to get over the hump. The only thing stopping the Hawks and Pens is the cap.

Given the mounting risk of lawsuits, and that the discussion of player safety is now completely out in the open, I don’t see much chance of going ‘all the way’ back to the wonderful days of rugby on ice.

Unless they find their US demographic is the same as MMA or wrestling of course.

103. Jethro Tull says:

Perhaps TMac gave areas of focus for the team to improve upon that didn’t include getting your head separated from your body in a meaningless game.

Man, we’re just too used to losing.

104. Jethro Tull says:

RexLibris:
    To be fair, DSF did say that I should be ashamed of myself and I am.

I write for a Flames’ blog.

The shame is crippling.

There are days where I can scarcely find strength to draw breath.

Guys and Gals, we’ve mentioned his name four times now.

Is anybody stood in front of a mirror?

105. Pouzar says:

Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor
    “I think they have a top-five. Ekblad, Yankle, Demers, Matheson and Petrovic. The other spot is up for grabs.” Richards on Panthers D. #NHL

106. stush18 says:

That’s on the rest of the team too. Needs to be communication on the ice, someone yelling “time” when he grabs it.

Dunno cuz I couldn’t hear, but maybe brossoit yelled “ice it”. Tough to nitpick a 6v5 icing

107. RexLibris says:

Jethro Tull: See, here’s the problem I have – it’s automatically assumed that LA were playing with lowered intensity because it’s pre-season, however the same benefit of the doubt is not extended to the Oilers. Why?

Man, we’re just too used to losing.

…somethingsomethingYou Develop A Pastsomethingsomething…

🙂

108. stevezie says:

kinger_OIL,

There is enough smoke around Hall that i feel comfortable saying management felt- for reasons we can’t know or comment on- that they had to move Hall.

I do not think this justifies moving him at a loss. If his trade value was that much lower than his actual value, then whoever has a problem with him has to suck it up until we get a better offer.

*i am not trying to restart the trade debate. I am just explaining that, for me, word that “insiders” didn’t like Hall does not change my opinion of the trade. Insiders often miss the forest for the trees (and that’s assuming their tree reports are accurate in the first place.)

109. LadiesloveSmid says:

Pouzar,

can Pysyk on his off hand be outplayed by Kindl? hopefully he could shake free. Don’t know what would happen with Fayne though, don’t imagine Nurse gets sent down

110. stevezie says:

Pouzar,

I like Florida’s defense better than Woodguy does. Pysyk sure looks like he’d bring an element that D corps needs, too.

111. Jethro Tull says:

Pouzar:
    Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor

Great Oilers reporting, Jason!

112. LoDog says:

Woodguy:

A rookie hater like Tippett doesn’t fuck around with this stuff.If you are playing its because he thinks you should play.

His 16 year old year is the 2nd best in the last 10+ years only to Doughty.

This kid’s gonna be very good.

And Yakupov blew away stamkos’ 16 year old season. Long ways to go.

113. JustWatt says:

I’m a little surprised at the level of negativity about last nights game from some in here.

How many months during the offseason did we discuss the importance of D-men who can defend in their own zone and headman the pass out?

Consider: no Klefbom, no Larsson, no Sekera, no Fayne. Entire top 4D missing.

So why are you surprised they looked like the old Oilers again?

114. Pouzar says:

LadiesloveSmid:
    Pouzar,

Don’t know enough about Pysyk to comment. Seems well liked here by some.

115. Chachi says:

RexLibris:
    To be fair, DSF did say that I should be ashamed of myself and I am.

I write for a Flames’ blog.

The shame is crippling.

There are days where I can scarcely find strength to draw breath.

His twitter feed is 5% intelligent thought, 70% straight-up Oilers/Edmonton trolling (he is obsessed), 15% Vancouver Canucks fantasy writing and 10% far right-wing nut-jobbery. It is entertaining in a train wreck kind of way.

116. Jethro Tull says:

stevezie: Insiders often miss the forest for the trees (and that’s assuming their tree reports are accurate in the first place.)

I trust Woodguy with all my tree needs.

He’s bona fide.

117. "Steve Smith" says:

rickithebear: So you are saying you do not care about defence or giving up goals.

Yes, Ricki. That’s exactly what people who complain about defencemen’s puck-handling ability are saying. I congratulate you on your superb reading comprehension skills.

118. Pouzar says:

Elliotte Friedman Retweeted
    NHL Player Safety ‏@NHLPlayerSafety 55s56 seconds ago
    Los Angeles’ Tanner Pearson will have a hearing for an illegal check to the head on Edmonton’s Brandon Davidson. Date and time TBD.

119. stush18 says:

Woodguy:

His 16 year old year is the 2nd best in the last 10+ years only to Doughty.

This kid’s gonna be very good.

I didn’t go very much in depth with him, but I was also very high on him.

My big thing was he had shoulder surgery (if I remember). He started very slowly, and came on strong. He also didn’t play powerplay much.

To be honest I had Sergachev ahead of him, but joulevi behind him.

120. McSorley33 says:

Woodguy,

His 16 year old year is the 2nd best in the last 10+ years only to Doughty.
    This kid’s gonna be very good.
    ********************************************************************************
    X 1000000

121. leadfarmer says:

Chychrun is the best defenseman out of the bunch in this years draft and many people got tricked into thinking he is the fourth or fifth best d. That was a fantastic trade by Coyotes

As far as Coyotes being a team not going anywhere I disagree. They have a fantastic d-corp. Ekman Larsson, Goligoski are top notch defensemen that anchor each of the top two pairings on the left side. Michalek and Stone, and Murphy are very solid group of supporting defensemen. They learned to build the defense first.

They can bring in a rookie because they are not bringing them in by the dozens like the Oilers. While they are bringing forward prospects by the boatloads its easier to develop them with good defensemen.

122. Oilspill says:

Ìm talking the 2 face off icing where virtually 8 players are under the dot.

pocession charge: control of the puck, the Kings started to head

123. McSorley33 says:

No need to bring in Wiz.

After watching Eric Gryba play hockey in the final minute of last nights game. I think Eric has proven
    everything he needs to.

It is the stuff you rarely even see in the Beer leagues.

I have to admit – I really like the Oesterle kid. I would prefer him and his physical liabilities over Gryba as a 7D.

Completely understand that he ( Jorand O ) would be in tough on the West coast.

124. Chachi says:

leadfarmer:
    Chychrun is the best defenseman out of the bunch in this years draft and many people got tricked into thinking he is the fourth or fifth best d.That was a fantastic trade by Coyotes

As far as Coyotes being a team not going anywhere I disagree.They have a fantastic d-corp.Ekman Larsson, Goligoski are top notch defensemen that anchor each of the top two pairings on the left side.Michalek and Stone, and Murphy are very solid group of supporting defensemen. They learned to build the defense first.

They can bring in a rookie because they are not bringing them in by the dozens like the Oilers.While they are bringing forward prospects by the boatloads its easier to develop them with good defensemen.

125. Ducey says:

Jethro Tull: I trust Woodguy with all my tree needs.

He’s bona fide.

Let us know when he sets you up with a forest 🙂

126. BrazilianOil says:

Completely off topic but I think you will enjoy it. The litle girl at the top has 6 years old.

127. Water Fire says:

Last year the final playoff team in the west had a +10 Goal Diff.

128. Water Fire says:

Woodguy:

His 16 year old year is the 2nd best in the last 10+ years only to Doughty.

This kid’s gonna be very good.

I liked him too. Wasn’t it Tippet who said a few years ago that he traded a highly touted defender because he realized that the reason the guy defended so hard was the puck was always in their end?

Mobility, gap control, passing, 1 V 1 play are what makes a good D. Offense driven by a defender is a rare bonus. For most I think offense comes from making the correct decision as to where to move the puck and making a good pass or following the play with good timing

129. commonfan14 says:

Woodguy: All for the price of taking Dats’ cap hit and no money out of pocket.
    Man.

The Flyers later moved up from 22 to 18 by giving the Jets a 2nd for a 3rd.

Credit to the Coyotes for making a move to get their guy, but they paid in full and then some.

130. RexLibris says:

Pouzar:
    Elliotte Friedman RetweetedNHL Player Safety ‏@NHLPlayerSafety55s56 seconds ago

I’m guessing two games.

Anyone else want to play Spin the Wheel Of Justice?

131. Ducey says:

RexLibris: I’m guessing two games.

Anyone else want to play Spin the Wheel Of Justice?

The rest of the exhibition and 1 game.

132. Jethro Tull says:

RexLibris: I’m guessing two games.

Anyone else want to play Spin the Wheel Of Justice?

Come on! It may have been a head-shot, but I have it good authority it was only at 40% intensity!

Sorry Kinger, couldn’t resist! 😉

133. Pouzar says:

RexLibris: I’m guessing two games.

Anyone else want to play Spin the Wheel Of Justice?

Stern warning.

134. vinotintazo says:

RexLibris: I’m guessing two games.

Anyone else want to play Spin the Wheel Of Justice?

A 1 on 1 video coaching session with Dallas Eakins.

BrazilianOil:
    Completely off topic but I think you will enjoy it.The litle girl at the top has 6 years old.

Amazing. I put it on twitter, hope you don’t mind.

136. classict says:

commonfan14,

Depends if you think Chychrun is actually only worth the 16th.

Same way the 4th overall pick ceases to have the value of a 4th when a player like Pulju drops.

137. leadfarmer says:

Chachi: The Coyotes were a -36 goal differential team last year. They gave up as many goals as the Oilers. I really hope their plan to turn that woeful defensive record around is centered around Alex Goligoski and an 18 year old rookie.

No its based on adding an established top pairing defenseman in Goligoski, having Domi and Duclair take a step forward. Establishing Dylan Strome in the league as well as maybe another very good prospect.

138. BrazilianOil says:

Of course not. Is from a sport played where I was born. The kids just put the helmets a few years ago.

Sometimes they fall down and is a little scary. You can google ” castellers” and you will find a lot of videos.

Thanks for your time!

139. Water Fire says:

I can’t wait until obvious head shots and boarding get taken seriously.

As someone mentioned who plays hockey head shots are pretty much intentional. I feel boarding is as well.

Some of you seem to know guys in or related to the NHL. In my travels I run across guys who’ve played pro (most not a lot of NHL) and when I have asked them when a nasty happens, not one has ever said they thought it was an accident.

An accident that doesn’t look like an accident, at the end of the day is the same thing, so even if a guy keeps accidentally taking people out, their lack of control is just as dangerous and should have the same results. If it keeps happening time to get them out of the league someways.

The league wants money, and it is amazing that they don’t see that talent getting injured lowers the game (thus revenue in the end) more than the violence appeals to certain fans.

Because it isn’t very often a top player goons a 4th liner, right?

140. Pouzar says:

Patrick C ‏@ChunkletsHockey 36m36 minutes ago
    #KHL: Looks like Patrik Hersley is leaving Lokomotiv; a good 2-way defenceman, should get an offer from someone.

141. rickithebear says:

“Steve Smith”: Yes, Ricki.That’s exactly what people who complain about defencemen’s puck-handling ability are saying.I congratulate you on your superb reading comprehension skills.

Strange I thought otherwise!

It was more interrogative.

In a hillbilly sarcastic piss the anal retentive ethics/critical reasoning profs and students off sort of way.

only topped by the frat boy

They pay you for this shit!

Fist pump on that one Steve buddy!

142. Jethro Tull says:

Pouzar:
    Patrick C ‏@ChunkletsHockey36m36 minutes ago

I’m not sure on this guy…….

143. Pouzar says:

Jethro Tull: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=83450

I’m not sure on this guy…….

I thought he was supposed to come over last year?

144. Jethro Tull says:

Pouzar: I thought he was supposed to come over last year?

He’s 30yo. His ship may have sailed. And “2-way” is a stretch when it’s against lesser comp. particularly when used in conjunction with “good”.

145. Chachi says:

leadfarmer: No its based on adding an established top pairing defenseman in Goligoski, having Domi and Duclair take a step forward.Establishing Dylan Strome in the league as well as maybe another very good prospect.

Goligoski is a fine dman. Domi and Duclair are good players, but there is no guarantee they are going to take a big step forward this year – see almost every 2nd year player ever. Dylan Strome is a fine prospect, but there is no guarantee he shoots out the lights as a rookie. A major injury to either Ekman-Larsson or Goligoski and they are a guaranteed bottom-five team.

146. commonfan14 says:

classict,

Nah, the guy who drops to 16 is never relevant.

…something-something-Barzal-Reinhart-something…

Chachi: If Chayka is as smart as people seem to think he is there is no way he will burn a year of this super- star-in-waiting’s ELC on a season where he’s going to get his head kicked in as an 18 year old d-man on a team that is going nowhere.

Agreed

148. OF17 says:

BrazilianOil:

Thanks for your time!

You’re Catalan? Thought you were Brazilian! Fa cinc anys, jo vaig tradiur el Llibre de meravelles de Estellès com tesi universitària. Visca Catalunya!

LoDog: And Yakupov blew away stamkos’ 16 year old season.Long ways to go.

Absolutely its a long way to go, but TIppett playing the shit out of him is a very good arrow.

Jethro Tull: I trust Woodguy with all my tree needs.

He’s bona fide.

and I’m a Dapper Dan man!

commonfan14,

The Flyers later moved up from 22 to 18 by giving the Jets a 2nd for a 3rd.

Thanks for the correction.

Also,

If that’s “paying in full” for a guy who I have as a high end #1, then it must have been full price out of the bargain bin.

stush18: I didn’t go very much in depth with him, but I was also very high on him.

To be honest I had Sergachev ahead of him, but joulevi behind him.

Oilers need to optimize “now” and making that trade pushes the timeline back.

153. Professor Q says:

Woodguy: No.

Oilers need to optimize “now” and making that trade pushes the timeline back.

What if they then traded Church for Troubadour? !)

commonfan14: The Coyotes actually paid a second rounder in addition to taking on Datsyuk’s cap hit in order to move up four spots in a pick swap with Detroit.

The Flyers later moved up from 22 to 18 by giving the Jets a 2nd for a 3rd.

Chayka also dumped a NHL contract on Detroit and freed up over $1 million in real dollars in the deal.

155. "Steve Smith" says:

rickithebear: In a hillbilly sarcastic piss the anal retentive ethics/critical reasoningprofs and students off sort of way.

Well, that’s certainly going on my letterhead.

156. hunter1909 says:

stush18: Question. Would you have traded nurse for that pick to pick up chychrun? Especially now that you know he’s close to sticking?

Consider this: Nurse was thrown into the NHL before he was ready. Chychrun’s style, plus the monumental fuckup that is the Edmonton Oilers from top to bottom since 2006 might have something to do with it.

Hall of Fame defenceman Larry Robinson played in the AHL for a year and a half before he saw any time in the NHL. Nurse could still turn out to be great.

This might be the new Oilers koolaid: trade away Taylor Halls for decent but not great trending players who unlike any of the Oilers were developed properly. While hoping there are enough big guns left other than McDavid to still compete in the WCF a few times, lol.

Fucking losers.

157. leadfarmer says:

Woodguy:
    commonfan14,

The Flyers later moved up from 22 to 18 by giving the Jets a 2nd for a 3rd.

Thanks for the correction.

Also,

Exactly. Given that if I was GM I would choose him in the 4-6 range paying the 20th plus a second for a cap dump to take him is a great deal. Somehow the narrative got started that his is not good offensively when he out scored guys that were considered to have lots of offensive potential and where on stacked offensive powerhouses like Juolevi.

158. Jethro Tull says:

“Steve Smith”: Well, that’s certainly going on my letterhead.

I’m going to use it to autocorrect “Yours sincerely” with it.

159. BrazilianOil says:

OF17,

Si que ho sóc. But i’m living in brazil now.