JUST WHO IS MAKING THIS TEAM, ANYWAY?

Matt Benning is in Oilers camp and we are one week away from opening night. You can disregard it, or poo-poo it, but it is a fact. Matt Benning is not far from making the NHL Oilers on the first dice roll, and that has to be factored into the season. If Benning is one of the final cuts (he will be), it also follows he could and should be an early recall. No one still in camp is a fringe NHL player in the estimation of the management and coaching staff. I say that because there were comments online today about favors and making things look good and that is absolutely nuts. This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no fooling around. This is the Oilers, in real time. Now.

DISTANT BELLS

distant-bells-oct-5

• The distant bell list confirms our suspicions from pre-camp, Ference and his LTIR assignment is the last man standing. I was unfair to Dillon Simpson and for that he was the last actual player from this list to be sent down. Simpson passed a few more blue again this training camp, David Musil included. The young man reminds me of an old Night Gallery starring Ossie Davis called The Cemetery. Simpson is Portifoy.

THE UNCERTAIN OILERS

uncertain-oilers-oct-3

• Some of these players (Matt Hendricks, Kris Versteeg, Iiro Pakarinen) detoured from uncertain Oilers to unhealthy Oilers—and it opens up all kinds of opportunities for the remaining healthy forwards (as shown below in the projected opening night roster).
  • I have nine sure things on my Certain Oilers list below, meaning that the healthy uncertain forwards (Anton Slepyshev, Tyler Pitlick, Anton Lander, Drake Caggiula, Nail Yakupov and Jesse Puljujarvi) are six men applying for (potentially) five forwards.
  • Defense is now pretty much decided, unless we see a waiver move or a trade. I have five sure things on the Certain Oilers list, meaning two or three blue spots left (and Reinhart, Fayne, Gryba and Benning in the running). I still think GR gets sent down, but felt Oesterle would be here today so there you go.

THE CERTAIN OILERS

certain-oilers-sep-23

• Brandon Davidson’s status is unknown, he may not be ready for opening night. Nuge had a day off today, we should monitor his status too (he had a weird exchange in the third period along the offensive boards against a Ducks blue last night).
  • The certain Oilers list is more than 15 now, Jonas Gustavsson, Mark Fayne, Kris Versteeg, Drake Caggiula probably inside (that is my opinion).
  • That means a lot of changes in the next few days. Signing Versteeg and possibly Gryba, deciding on Yak/Puljujarvi, adding a defender who can help on the power play, possibly adding a goalie (RETO BERRA IS ON WAIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) mean these lists could be getting a major shakeup in the next seven days.

MCDAVID IS CAPTAIN!

I am fairly sure there is some percentage of daily readers to this blog who would like my opinion on Connor McDavid being named captain. I will tell you he seems absolutely qualified to do damn near anything in hockey, but the things one would need to know to have a reasonable opinion are not available to me. Ask the coach, or the Nuge, or the 23rd man on last year’s team. I am in no way attempting to reduce the importance of the role, or hide some deep resentment or anger about this announcement. The things that would allow me to make an educated comment about this appointment are not available to me, so I will congratulate the young man and wish he and his teammates well this season. If this increases the chances of his signing an 8-year contract with the Oilers, it has my blessing.

WAIVERS

• Get Reto Berra. Seriously. He is a $1.45 million cap hit and his SP last season was .922 in 14 games on a truly lost team in Denver. What part of haul ass can anyone fail to understand here? Manna from heaven! I bet you real money Peter Chiarelli is considering this heavily.
  • Ponder Mark Barberio. His possession numbers were strong a year ago, he is not expensive and he could certainly move back the LH depth chart behind Oscar Klefbom and Andrej Sekera (plus Davidson if he plays LH side). He would also be a solid pickup if the plan is to trade Davidson at some point this season.

75 Responses to "JUST WHO IS MAKING THIS TEAM, ANYWAY?"

1. WeirsBeard says:

Two questions,
    Is Fayne not on your certain list to appease the peanut gallery, or do you think he is still in danger in view of the management? He is not a complete player, but does deliver in certain areas, and for me, is not a problem.

You have Caggiula on the bubble. How do we feel about him as an extra forward? Is sitting some games less detrimental to his development than some of the other uncertain wingers, given his age and probable proximity to his ceiling?

Thanks LT. et al. too.

2. digger50 says:

Great blog today LT.

– Potluck and Sleppy showed well yesterday

– can someone find Jessie P a helmet that will fit his head?

3. МАГИЯ 10 says:

Until Davidson returns the current roster has 3 of your certains and 1 uncertain on the left and 1 certain and 3 uncertains on the right. For short periods its fine to be 7th or 8th D but young players are better off playing more time in the A. Surely Fayne makes the team. Are they still waiting for something to shake free before signing Gryba?

4. JDï™ says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

Replied to your car comment in the last post.

WeirsBeard:
    Two questions,

Thanks LT. et al. too.

I think the Oilers would move Fayne if a deal came available, he is paid extremely well for what he brings. I value DD, but they should not be paid extreme dollars.

Caggiula has impressed the hell out of me. I think he should play every game until he stops pushing the play, even if that means regular season.

6. Spydyr says:

I’m with you pick up Reto Berra and hope like heck someone picks up the Monster when gets waived to the AHL. With the Oilers favorable October schedule they can have a good long look at Berra in practice before he gets a start.

7. LOObird says:

Is it silly for me to be worried about Versteeg not signing yet?

Is it normal for teams to sign players off of PTO’s this late?

I feel like they must have seen enough already to decide. Maybe the injury is a factor.

8. DBO says:

Caggiula is the kind of 11/12/13 forward every coach loves. He has speed, smarts, scoring touch and can play multiple positions while also being able to play on a skill line if needed and hold his own. Kind of what LT has been saying: Draft skill kids not checkers, Cause you can teach a skill kid to check, you can’t teach a checker to have skill.

With Hendricks and Pak out. I expect Lander and Pitlick to be the extra forwards with The Drake skating on the 4th lline LW to start the year. With Puljarvi down to minors and Versteeg at 2 RW and Yak at 3RW (on a line with Maroon and Drai to kill the opposition weak parade).

9. Spydyr says:

LOObird:
    Is it silly for me to be worried about Versteeg not signing yet?

Is it normal for teams to sign players off of PTO’s this late?

They may be in negotiations as we speak.We have no idea.

10. OF17 says:

Might be a good thing for Caggiula to sit in the press box every so often. There’s a huge step up in GP for college kids entering the NHL, and making that transition easier wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

11. OF17 says:

DBO,

That’s how I see it as well.

12. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March is back for the 2016-17 season!

Here’s how you play: Pick the exact number of points you think the Oilers will have at the end of the season.

Then, after the usual training camp hypejobs stop and the real NHL starts, Oilers usually lose 2-3 defencemen and spent the rest of the season chasing/debating the lottery. What better way to enjoy those pointless, meaningless games than The Hunter1909 Official Oilers Death March™?

Last year had well over 200 players. Prizes being sorted as this message gets posted for last season’s winners who will be notified at a later date.

Contest Entry: Open until puck drop on opening night. Think of a giant guillotine blade – once the first puck drops it’s all over.

13. LOObird says:

hunter1909,

81 points please.

Thanks for doing this again.

14. HT Joe says:

hunter1909: Think of a giant guillotine blade – once the first puck drops it’s all over.

Thank you for perfectly describing every Oilers season…

LOObird:
    Is it silly for me to be worried about Versteeg not signing yet?

Is it normal for teams to sign players off of PTO’s this late?

Nope. They need to make a trade.

16. jimmers2 says:

A question for anyone who has seen a home game in person – how is the ice now? Did the new ice plant etc. finally produce a respectable ice sheet?

jimmers2:
    A question for anyone who has seen a home game in person – how is the ice now?Did the new ice plant etc. finally produce a respectable ice sheet?

I was at the game last night and the ice looked fabulous. A little carved by mid-period, but they had the AC blaring like made and to me it looked good. Interesting to hear what the skaters think.

18. Melman says:

Based on your 15 certains list, I’d like to see:

a backup goaler (hopefully Berra);
    Gryba and Fayne added to the D; and
    Versteeg, Slepy, Pitlick, Caggiula, and Yak

Lander goes down – he is what he is, JP gets some seasoning along with Benning and GR. Slep can go down on paper until they LTIR TCAF

19. DRAGON52 says:

hunter1909:
    Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March is back for the 2016-17 season!

hunter1909,

Hunter put me in for 88 pts.

20. striatic says:

“RETO BERRA IS ON WAIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

21. Frank the dog says:

Yak 1LW, Ebs 2RW, Pitlick 3RW Kassian 4RW
    Caggiula 4LW

iirc Yak put up better numbers than Ebs with CMD. Is that correct?
    Gryba and Fayne on RD and claim Rita , dump the monster.

Make additional decisions as the injured heal in good time.

22. thurmtim says:

Call me an optimist, I am guessing 91 points, please!

I definitely agree on Reto Berra. The plus side of neither he nor the Monster shat the sheets, they can have great trade value later this season when someone else has G injury/performance issues…. doesn’t hurt to stockpile assets when we have the contract room.

23. stush18 says:

OF17:

24. Bruce McCurdy says:

thurmtim:
    Call me an optimist, I am guessing 91 points, please!

25. TeeVee says:

hunter1909:
    Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March is back for the 2016-17 season!

I’ll take 103 this year.

26. thurmtim says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Good point, Bruce. All do need some playing time, I guess. So 6 would likely be a maximum realistically, though not practically. Although… if they are looking to hedge their bets on the Monster and expect to trade one of them regardless when someone else gets into inevitable goalie trouble, is it still a viable opportunity??? I don’t know, asking for a friend…

😉

27. stush18 says:

stush18: This is a very good point. Although I really feel he could play the start of the year and then get called up.

I think the Hendricks injury gives lander an opportunity here. He’s a defensively responsible centre. Great on face offs, and physical and just a little dirty.

Him and letestu will patrol the fourth line with pitlick playing pk , while slepy swaps out with versteeg.

JP gets sent to the minors. Hasn’t been noticeable enough

28. stush18 says:

Bruce McCurdy: How many teams have 6 goalies on their 50-man list? Too lazy to check, but I’m guessing 5/50 is the norm.

Ya no way we pick up Berra.

29. jimmers2 says:

Thanks, LT. That is good news.

30. jm363561 says:

Not sorry to see Oesterle go down – I think he could be really good in a Tyson Barrie kind of way. His height and weight are very similar to Barrie but he will not learn to play like him sitting in the press box.

31. BornInAGretzkyJersey says:

I work with an on-ice official for the WHL. He was at the Rogers Place opener, the Rebels vs Oil Kings game. Said “the ice is shit.” Said he hopes it gets better as they dial everything in.

32. striatic says:

That’s just the trouble, but there’s a potential asset sitting there ready to be claimed, letting sunk costs get in the way of that is giving away opportunity.

Pick up Berra, then try to shake some of those other Goalie contracts loose.

Damn, that Gustavsson signing was unnecessarily hasty.

33. LadiesloveSmid says:

Lowetide: Nope. They need to make a trade.

Methinks Yak is gonezo in the next 72 hours

Montreal? New Jersey? Philly?

Replacing Yak with Pulju this early seems like a mistake, give Pulju AHL time

34. LadiesloveSmid says:

if they claim Berra are Ellis/Laurikainen forced to play in the ECHL or seriously split time in Bako? would Gustavsson agree to terminate the contract?

35. Frank the dog says:

LadiesloveSmid: Methinks Yak is gonezo in the next 72 hours

Montreal? New Jersey? Philly?

Replacing Yak with Pulju this early seems like a mistake, give Pulju AHL time

Montreal would be a good landing spot for Yak methinks.

36. GCW_69 says:

If you don’t have 2 NHL calibre goalies on the 50 man list, it shouldn’t matter how many you have below the line, you fill the need and deal with the rest another way.

37. Bruce McCurdy says:

striatic: After Gustavsson’s disappointing pre-season, Chia better not blow this shot at redemption.

Let’s review Gustavsson’s “disappointing pre-season”:

30 shutout minutes in Calgary
    40 dodgy minutes with 3 (or was it 4?) GA in Vancouver

So (part of) one bad game. Enough for Chia to suddenly change his mind about the guy? I have serious doubts on that front. If he agreed with the widespread opinion around here he never would have signed the guy in the first place. Since he did it seem reasonable to expect Gus will be given more than a bad 40 minutes to be swept aside.

The other issue besides contract numbers on the dwindling 50-man list is the marginal $650 K in cap hit for the backup tendy. That’s more than chump change.

Berra isn’t a bad option but I don’t see it happening.

38. Kmart99 says:

Hunter – 79 pts plz

39. Oilspill says:

Spoke with a couple of players..ice is terrible…really tough picking up pucks.

BornInAGretzkyJersey:

I work with an on-ice official for the WHL.He was at the Rogers Place opener, the Rebels vs Oil Kings game.Said “the ice is shit.”Said he hopes it gets better as they dial everything in.

40. Fog of Warts says:

[Gimli inflection]: You could find more collective sagacity—by the standards of an interstellar flag ship—in a drunk tank during spring break at Daytona Beach, also known—for short—as Spring Breach.

Yet this one, perhaps, is truly anointed.

Therefore, in my considered opinion, no need for anyone to reference Ender’s Game.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

———

There’s actually a bit of a plot that comes to me from time to time: Holodeck Spring Break. (The holodeck standing in for any viable yet transient fountain of youth.)

This is where a group of experienced crew members all decide to return to their favourite teenage body and have a PAR-tay. All those glorious bodies, but with seriously mature pick-up lines.

[Walks up to gorgeous girl]: “Damn! I need it baaad. Hits me like a tonne of bricks every time, and I never expect it. How about you?”

“It’s a bit of a slower process for most of the women folk. Hit on me again, later tonight.”

“Anything I can whisper into your ear to speed you along?”

“Naw … but thanks for asking.”

“Is it later yet?”

“Fuck off, cowboy. Oh, and hand me that Bellini menu on the way by.”

“Last time you had the Peach Supreme.”

“Last time I had three Peach Supremes.”

“My lord, you get around. Even with the hounds raging, I know better than to get all whiskey dick this early in the evening.”

“Yeah, I noticed. All the regulars at teeny night—the guys—are nursing Red Bulls. Don’t you get thirsty drinking that slow?”

“Water. Works miracles with the old hydration, not that I actually need any miracles in my present state.”

“Right, so fuck off for now, and hit on me later, would you? I’ve got some serious drinking to do to get my Cosmo on.”

“Cosmo Kramer or Cosmo magazine?”

“Hey, you’re quite the retro buff, aren’t you? Now fuck off, would you kindly, good sir?”

“Am I ruining it yet?”

“Yes, I’m starting to get pissed for real.”

“Is that a good sign or a bad sign?”

“Stop it! This isn’t funny any more. I came back to be a teenager, not to repeat high school.”

“What did you get in Celestial Calculus?”

“Fuck off.”

“Okay, that’s the temperature I was waiting for. Later gater, if you’re still standing.”

You’ve been standing for the last half hour.”

“No pain, no gain. Teeny night is not for the feeble hearted.”

“Seriously, you should do something about that. I’ve heard it can suffer permanent damage.”

Au contraire, micro-vascular surgery surpassed that medical barrier a full two centuries ago.”

“Huh, nobody told me. Now would you pleeeease—”

“—all right, all right, I’m going, just as sooner as I can straighten out, and fly right.”

Here Boy Wonder executes a perfect two-hand tunic adjustment grab, achieving not the least relief.

“Trying tugging the other garment.”

“Riiiiight, I knew that. Old habits die hard.”

“Was that a hint?”

“What?”

“Oh, nothing,” she calls demurely over her shoulder, as Boy Wonder finally masters his egress without inflicting any self-harm.

Damn her all to hell. Was her question about hints itself a hint of some kind?! Am I ever going to achieve hand? Man, so many times, but this time I think I know what the problem is here. You can put a women into the booth, but she just doesn’t unage as gracefully as a man does. Hard yet squidgy youthful body, same old adult mind games. But still, it wouldn’t hurt to put in half an hour of quality time with the replicator summoning up all manner and sundry of thigh-high stockings and miniskirts and … other sartorial options. And then she’ll say ‘what the heck is all this for, lover boy’, and I’ll say ‘you put me up to it’ and she’ll say ‘no I didn’t’ and I’ll say ‘sure you did’ and she’ll say ‘like, when?’ and I’ll say ‘before all those Bellinis, lover girl’ and then she’ll start to paw through the pile and to complain ‘oh, I can’t believe some of these things, you rascal’ but eventually her cheeks will turn pink and then finally, we’ll both be on firmer ground.”

41. Water Fire says:

jm363561:

Gizmo Williams is 5′ 6″. How did he play pro football? Well I saw him up close and he was also 5’6″ wide.

Barrie is listed at 5’10” and 190. Oesterle is 6′ and 182. Those two people don’t look the same.

One is a stocky muscular guy and one is tallish and skinny.

Guess who is better at dealing with NHL forwards? Guess who can shoot the puck?

There is a reality to pro sports physically that only extreme talent can overcome. Oesterle isn’t ‘extremely’ talented. Gostisbehere may be, we’ll see.

42. JDï™ says:

Water Fire: Oesterle is 6′ and 182

But doesn’t that really mean that he’s 5′ 10″ and 175 lbs?

43. kinger_OIL says:

– I honestly don’t get the Matt Benning fuss: he’s got no NHL experience, he was unsigned, he scored 9 goals in his last 3 years of college: except that he was drafted by the existing GM, he’s a local boy and his Dad played for the Oil: Actually having wrote all that, now I get it!

44. Younger Oil says:

If Puljujarvi or Caggiula start in the NHL, this team has learned absolutely nothing in the past decade.

If both start, that is just utter idiocy.

There is absolutely no way that the difference between Yakupov and Puljujarvi today is big enough to justify trading Yak for peanuts and burning a year off of Puljujarvi’s ELC. A competent GM/coach would play Yak with quality players for once (where he can produce as well as Eberle), see if he can have success, and if he does, you can either keep him or trade him for greater value.

Caggiula has been a pleasant surprise, but has shown absolutely nothing against actual NHL opposition.

The next few days are full of moves crucial to the success of this team today and in the future, and it will give us a lot of information as to the competency of Chiarelli as a GM.

45. Johnny skid says:

Younger Oil:

If both start, that is just utter idiocy.

i hope chiarelli thinks the same way as you.

46. Side says:

kinger_OIL:

Are you filling in for Caramel Batman?

47. Water Fire says:

JDï™: But doesn’t that really mean that he’s 5′ 10″ and 175 lbs?

Probably, but the idea is height to weight ratio (HI Ricki). I wouldn’t be surprised if they had a standard for lying about size stats like everything else they do. It’s about strength, and weak people better be like Pat Kane.

If you look around the league’s rosters there are not many players that are light at least for their height, because it means not strong, accounting for the fact all of the numbers are bumped up.

Chiarelli mentioned this as Bruins GM and it was discussed here years back. They were looking for ‘heavy’ players more than tall. Short guys that are built are very strong and have a low centre of gravity and hard to knock around. Many great players have been like that. They are also often fast because they are powerful, like speed skaters.

The light guys are almost always the most skilled guys. And I mean most skilled as in league best. There is no place for weak lesser skilled players in the NHL. They never stick because they cannot handle the players that are physically developed.

They are either unable to develop physically or don’t get it and can’t establish the final development curve in their pursuit. If it was easy many more of the thousands of good talented hockey players in the world would make the top 3 or 4 leagues.

48. Dipstick says:

Sorry to ask this, but does it effect Puju’s ELC if he sent to the AHL rather than back to his club team in Finland?

49. Gordies Elbow says:

Fog of Warts,

Please create a blog I can follow.

Please.

50. LadiesloveSmid says:

Dipstick:

I was wondering the same thing. I read somewhere that like Ristolainen in 13/14 he’s still under contract for another season in Karpat, so if he plays in the NHL or AHL he uses a year on his ELC. Not 100% sure if it’s correct or not.

51. Woogie63 says:

PC sending Nurse and Driasaitl to Bakersfield, is a really good hint for this year.

Rookies like Puljarjari, Benning, Cagguila will go down.

Veterans like Lander, Pitlick, Versteeg and Slepyshev have learned enough to contribute to a NHL team.

I think this is very normal in cities where the hockey team is expecting to be in the play-offs.

52. Bruce McCurdy says:

Younger Oil: Agreed on what everyone has said, claiming Berra with the way Gustaffson has played is an absolute no-brainer.

I challenge your take on “the way Gustavsson has played”. He’s barely played at all, was good one night, not so good the other. Suddenly replacing him with an expensive guy off the waiver wire is “an absolute no-brainer”?

53. OF17 says:

Younger Oil,

Caggiula is bit of a different case due to his age. If I’m not mistaken, this is Caggiula’s draft +5 season, which is when legit prospects start to make the big club. This is entirely different from Gagner making it in his draft +1, or Paajarvi in his draft +2, or any number of other examples of the Oilers fast-tracking prospects to detrimental development. Caggiula might not be ready at the end of the day, but this is a different case from Oilers’ history and certainly a different case from Puljujarvi’s potential placement this year.

54. Oilspill says:

My prediction is Fayne starts the season and within 5 games gets the presser. Gets bought out at end of year.

55. geowal says:

Younger Oil: There is absolutely no way that the difference between Yakupov and Puljujarvi today is big enough to justify trading Yak for peanuts and burning a year off of Puljujarvi’s ELC

56. OF17 says:

geowal: Unless you propose sending him back to the Liga, his years of ELC is irrelevant in this. All that matters is his development and contribution to winning, and yaks…development/trade value etc

ELC doesn’t get burned unless Puljujarvi spends more than 9 games in the NHL. Mikko Rantanen had this happen last year, and General Fanager is showing him with 3 years left on his ELC still.

57. Atc-Nate says:

Re: Yak to Montreal. Poor kid. 2 years with wEakens and then to be saddled with Michel Therien? I’d bolt for the KHL at that point and I’m f-ing Canadian.

58. Robinthe403 says:

hunter1909,

Hunter,

Sign me up for 92 points. The same point total, if memory serves me correctly, that put our Oilers into the playoffs in Spring 2006.

Fingers crossed,

Robinthe403

59. Robinthe403 says:

Bruce McCurdy,

Take it for what it is worth but one of the last things Fussy Britches tweeted was something cryptic about Chiarelli not being done on the goaltending front… Mentioned a Finn, too.

60. Professor Q says:

This will be a very odd question (or perhaps not), but what is with the 3 As being named by Edmonton?

I personally remember it being this way, and remember the switch from White Homes to White Roads, but it seems as if lately teams only name 2 As if they have a C.

In NHL 17, too, they only give you the option of only having 2 As with one C.

61. --hudson-- says:

Just throwing this out there, another option is to trade Gustavsson for Berra. That would save Florida a good chunk of change and potentially upgrade the backup spot.

Of course this is assuming Oilers actually prefer Berra to Gustavsson (an unknown) and if Berra clears waivers (likely).

Bruce McCurdy: Not quite everyone, please read my comments above. I’m not sold on Gustavsson but I refuse to buy in to the groupthink that he is no good at all and that our GM is an idiot for signing him. Maybe so but it is hardly an established fact the way some are presenting it.

62. stush18 says:

Professor Q:

In NHL 17, too, they only give you the option of only having 2 As with one C.

I’m pretty sure that’s how most teams go with it. Not sure why EA has been doing it like this, but they have for years, and it’s a bit of a piss off

63. stush18 says:

Younger Oil:

If both start, that is just utter idiocy.

I mean cagguilla has been playing very well against NHL players. I think he deserves a shot, he isn’t an 18 yr old rookie. JP, not so much, and I’m a fan.

Also did you read Rutherfords piece in the players tribune? Talked about how one of the toughest things is managing a team that is successful financially, as well as balancing the future.

After Alberta and Canada’s recent year, and the new rink, I would think chia is on a tighter leash when it comes to the money side of things.

I don’t think anyone will debate who’s the better goalie. But adding another guy into the 50 man roster and another 1.5mil prolly doesn’t sit well with Katz.

This isn’t just about best players no matter what. You gotta consider relationships, prospects, money, etc.

64. JDï™ says:

Professor Q: what is with the 3 As being named by Edmonton?

Average man-games lost dictates that they appoint more leaders. For once, this team does something based on stats, and you people rail against it. 😉

65. JDï™ says:

TMC when discussing the end of season meetings with McDavid, and the decision to make him Captain Connor (CC):

“Players who aren’t ready don’t share a lot with us in those meetings, but he (CC) was very open with us, and we were very open with him…”

Okay, okay, we’ll trade him – just give us some time.

66. OilHub says:

hunter1909,

Thanks for doing this Hunter!
    Please put me down for 99 points, I might be drinking the Kool aid but it seems that this year has a new flavour..
    Thanks

67. Frank the dog says:

I’m wondering how easy it would have been for our 1st #1 pick to swallow being an assistant captain to CMD?
    I’m sure he would have been professional about it, but it wouldn’t have been easy. Someone would have had to have told him it was CMD and not him.

68. maudite says:

Hunter:

39-40 5 Otl 83 pts

GD -10

69. striatic says:

Atc-Nate:

He’d be excited to reunite with his buddy from Junior, Galchenyuk.

70. SwedishPoster says:

I’ll add my contribution to the Hunter point guessing extravaganza soon. I’m making my guess based on pure science this season. I’ve been to a conference in Vienna and have a few days off to close out the week so while walking the streets of Vienna I have plenty of time for my scientific approach. The idea is to take the first number between 78 and 108 that presents itself while I stroll around the old town and then add the number of points McDavid puts up the last two preseason. It’s a tried and tested method with strong empirical evidence…

71. russ99 says:

OF17:
    Younger Oil,

Players who play all 4 years in NCAA follow a completely different path than those who go the Junior route.

72. The Trade Guy says:

LOObird:
    Is it silly for me to be worried about Versteeg not signing yet?

Is it normal for teams to sign players off of PTO’s this late?

My guess would be they may have even verbally agreed on a deal but are keeping what cap they open for a trade they want to make. (and to LTIR Ference) so I think something will get done there. (based on not much admittedly)

73. The Trade Guy says:

Frank the dog:

All men who play the game of hockey are humble before McDavid. I suspect they barely batted an eye.

74. OmJo says:

Frank the dog,

I think Hall cares more about winning than being captain at the end of the day. I’m sure he realized once we drafted McDavid that he was going to be captain eventually.

Anybody else find the Eklund rumour of Hall trying to get NJ to trade for Yakupov funny? Firstly because it’s Eklund, and secondly because the consensus among Oilers fans appears to be Hall hates him, and thirdly because it’s Eklund.

75. Drew says:

Frank the dog:

The story goes that the 1st #1 suggested Connor as the captain in his year end interview.