PS G7 2016-17: JETS AT OILERS

The grind of the exhibition season nears an and, just as the AHL team and the team infirmary open for business. Welcome, ladies and men, it is time for another Oilers season and anatomy lesson. Giddyup.

GOALIES

1. Cam Talbot, 29. He should get most or all of the October starts. Edmonton badly needs him to perform something close to out of his mind before Halloween, as each season in memory has been lost by the time the doorbell rings and the clowns demand candy. Chances of Making the Oilers: 100%.
  2. Jonas Gustavsson, 31. His career numbers do not inspire, and I believe the Oilers should at least consider plucking Reto Berra off the waiver wire. Gustavsson could be sent to Bakersfield to play with Laurent Brossoit, Nick Ellis could play in Norfolk and Eetu Laurikainen could set sail for Finland—as he did a year ago while under an Oilers contract. Chances of Making the Oilers: 100%.

LEFT DEFENSE

1. LD Oscar Klefbom, 23. He was fabulous Tuesday night, such a fine skater and he was confident with the puck. A very strong player for this team.  Chances of Making the Oilers: 100%.
  2. LD Andrej Sekera, 30. Quality defender could help the power play and will help the 5×5 and PK. Effective moving the puck, suspect we will see him RH side at times this year. Chances of Making the Oilers: 100%.
  3. LD Brandon Davidson, 24. I don’t think we see him tonight, possibly not Saturday. A guess would be short-term IR at the outer marker, and that might be a way to maneuver the roster. Chances of Making the Oilers: 100%.
  4. LD Darnell Nurse, 21. With the defense (mostly) healthy, I will be looking for TOI total. If Nurse is playing less than the 20:14 a night he averaged a year ago, maybe he can take a step forward. Chances of Making the Oilers: 100%.
  5. LD Griffin Reinhart, 22. Uneven TC performance was saved by a strong outing Tuesday night. Still betting on a trip to Bakersfield. Chances of Making the Oilers: 25%.

RIGHT DEFENSE

1. RD Adam Larsson, 23. I was impressed with his two-way play Tuesday, good passer and he can defend. Looked very good with Oscar. Chances of Making the Oilers: 100%.
  2. RD Mark Fayne, 29. I do believe he will make the team, but am not prepared to put it a lock—he was waived last fall, could happen again. Chances of Making the Oilers: 90%.
  3. RD Eric Gryba, 28. I think he has a legit chance to make this team, he played a ton the other night and defended well. Chances of Making the Oilers: 50%.
  4. RD Matt Benning, 23. In terms of mobile, passing defenseman, he is a very rare item on this roster. Has played well enough to get at least one more start. I think he could make this team. Chances of Making the Oilers: 35%.

puljujarvi-caggiula2

CENTER

1. C Connor McDavid, 19. Edmonton’s new captain, the turn north imminent (we hope). The most delightful hockey player. Chances of Making the Oilers: 100%.
  2. C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, 23. Terrific WCOH and pre-season, he looks poised for a very good season—important to have his line contributing offensively. Chances of Making the Oilers: 100%.
  3. C-R Leon Draisaitl, 20. Oilers appear to need a cloning device, as he is both 2R and 3C. I think they want him close to 18-20 minutes a night (2R) as opposed to 16 minutes (3C). I am picking him to post fewer points this year, but projected him as a 3C. Interesting days ahead. Chances of Making the Oilers: 100%.
  4. C Mark Letestu, 31. Overlooked player in many ways, he can help the Oilers with important chores like PK, winning faceoffs and yes even the power play. Chances of Making the Oilers: 100%.
  5. C-L Drake Caggiula, 22. I have bumped his number, with injuries to others it seems he has a job at this point. Will he be in the opening night lineup? Chances of Making the Oilers: 80%.
  6. C Anton Lander, 25. I have him as a somewhat likely roster player, mostly due to the PK numbers. Remain convinced McDavid and Nuge are going to be on the 4×5, and do believe the team will cast about looking for a replacement if Lander is plodding again this year. Chances of Making the Oilers: 70%.

LEFT WING

1. L Milan Lucic, 28. Fans are restless to see action, as the big man rounds into form on a new team with new linemates. Oilers are still playing him a ton on the PP. Chances of Making the Oilers: 100%.
  2. L Benoit Pouliot, 29. Sublime forechecker, throwback winger in that way. I think he gets traded at some point this year, but it will be a mistake. Chances of Making the Oilers: 100%.
  3. L Patrick Maroon, 28. He was the best forward on the ice Tuesday, and seems to be in good spots a whole helluva lot of the time. Could play higher than 3L. Chances of Making the Oilers: 100%.
  4. R Tyler Pitlick, 24. Since 2010, I have written more words about Pitlick than any other prospect taken outside the first round. He always looked like a player to me. Chances of Making the Oilers: 60%.
  5. R Anton Slepyshev, 22. The injuries to others increase his chances, still look at him as a more likely Condor at this time. Chances of Making the Oilers: 50%.

RIGHT WING

1. R Jordan Eberle, 26. He looks a step behind so far, needs to be ready for opening night—Edmonton needs a goal a game from the 1line to contend in my opinion. Chances of Making the Oilers: 100%.
  2. R Zack Kassian, 25. He is a surprisingly useful player with the puck, makes good decisions and can hold on to the puck for extended periods in the offensive zone. Chances of Making the Oilers: 100%.
  3. R Kris Versteeg, 30. I have bumped him up to 100 percent, the injury does not appear to be something that will require IR and he has been solid when in the lineup. Chances of Making the Oilers: 100%.
  4. R Nail Yakupov, 22. He is still here, and the injuries probably put him on the roster. Where will he play? I think it comes down to Puljujarvi. Chances of Making the Oilers: 90%.
  5. R Jesse Puljujarvi, 18. He is big (6.04, 203), fast and skilled—and quiet so far during main camp. He did so some good things with Nuge, suspect he is on the bubble. A question we cannot answer: Does the organization feel JP will get better instruction in Bakersfield or Edmonton? Chances of Making the Oilers: 50%.

INJURED

1. L Matt Hendricks, 35. Tough break for the veteran winger, sounds like weeks instead of days. Chances of Making the Oilers: nil.
  2. R Iiro Pakarinen, 24. Injury did not look good, out for some time. Chances of Making the Oilers: nil.
  3. LD Andrew Ference—LTIR. Chances of Making the Oilers: nil.

balance-ball

Photo via Nevit Dilmen

MILES FROM BALANCE

As we enter what could be a fairly active transaction period, it is a good idea to remind ourselves about the areas that are required to reach balance:

• Puck-moving defenseman who can play RH on second or third pair.
  • The Pisani, a two-way player who can be the defensive conscience on a line that lacks experience and or actual ability. This player anchors an outscoring line that over delivers on cap and playing time.
  • A better backup goalie bet.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NAIL!

yakupovcommons

I hope it is here, with the Oilers, but no matter what I wish a good year for this young man and that his next birthday sees him more settled in his career. At 23, it is certain he has had a lifetime of crossroads.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A very busy day, starting at 10 this morning. TSN1260, scheduled to appear:

• Darcy McLeod, Because Oilers. Reta Berra, Leon, Puljujarvi and Yak City.
  • Andrew Stoeten, Blue Jays Nation. October baseball! How high can the Blue Jays fly?
  • Andy McNamara, TSN4Downs. NFL Week 5 has Brady back, Eagles trying to go 4-0 and the Cardinals reeling.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. McDavid the youngest captain in NHL history, and it feels like a very active transaction weekend.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. This is going to be a fun day!

488 Responses to "PS G7 2016-17: JETS AT OILERS"

« Older Comments
  1. Yak Efron says:

Now on Bell tsn3

2. OmJo says:

I feel like if other players passed more to Yak on the rush he wouldn’t be offside so much. He’s usually open but I have barely seen anybody pass to him at all this game, let alone when entering the offensive zone.

3. russ99 says:

McDavid having a whale of a night.

Man, he looks ready to put up numbers we haven’t seen here in a long time.

4. stush18 says:

OmJo:
    Lucic and Eberle have been invisible in this game. Lucic in particular.

Like are we going to nitpick every little thing in preseason?

Here’s a hint. Mcdavids wingers are probably going to always look a little invisible, because we always focus on mcdavid.

5. Halfwise says:

Benning did some Jultzing there, I regret to say.

6. Oilanderp says:

That Jets goal was all on Gryba, he surely could’ve blocked that from the bench. Lack of compete!

7. pocession charge says:

Pitlick getting his ear twisted for the bad pass into his own slot.

8. OmJo says:

stush18: Like are we going to nitpick every little thing in preseason?

9. Oilanderp says:

Good call refs.

10. Professor Q says:

If the glove fits…

11. stush18 says:

OmJo: Not nitpicking at all. Just an observation, no need to bring the pitchforks out lol

Wasn’t supposed to sound so aggressive. I don’t normally watch the game and type thoughts. Too tough

12. OmJo says:

Oilanderp,

When Myers broke his stick on McDavids goal, I just thought…man, if he was an Oiler people would be calling for him to be cut tomorrow.

We’re becoming worse than leafs fans lol..

13. Zelepukin says:

If any McD winger is invisible it’s their fault for not tapping in one of the many open net gift dishes that McD does every single game.

14. OmJo says:

stush18,

All good

15. Oilanderp says:

OmJo,

We’ve been in the running for some time. It happens during long runs of futility I think. At least we don’t throw beer cans… much.

16. Pescador says:

Posters need to know that it can elevate to pitchforks at any moment

17. Johnny skid says:

Oilanderp: At least we don’t throw beer cans… much.

no beer cans, just jersey’s.

18. OmJo says:

Oilanderp,

We throw jerseys instead 😛

I think Leafs fans copied us with that, too. Damn.

19. Oilanderp says:

Johnny skid,
    *snort*

20. pocession charge says:

Kassian looked decent on the PK tonight. I mean, he’s not a McDavid level PK’er yet, but looked fast and aggressive at (mostly) the right times. It’s a great role for him, too.

21. Tye says:

This is the reply/thank you comment to all those who responded to me this afternoon

Thanks guys. 🙂

22. Centre of attention says:

zach laing 🏒 ‏@zjlaing 2m2 minutes ago
    Stauffer just said it’s a possibility Caggiula could be out for “weeks” when talking about the makeup of the Oilers roster and Inj. impact.

23. rickithebear says:

Being was f…… awful.
    does not know what the Hsca is in his own zone.

To the blue in our zone before the forwards twice.

24. Yak Efron says:

So who gets injured next game?

25. Gerta Rauss says:

Centre of attention:
    zach laing ‏@zjlaing2m2 minutes ago

Unbelievable

26. pocession charge says:

Halfwise:
    Benning did some Jultzing there, I regret to say.

He’s young but definitely more intense than Schultz. I’m hoping that he is off to California for some ripening and perhaps the first RH injury call up if he’s progressing.

27. Suntory Hanzo says:

Tye,

Looked up your qualifications and this came up in my town. Although I have no idea what salary expectations are. Must be more around. That being said, a ways from AB.

28. Centre of attention says:

Gerta Rauss: Unbelievable

This is Yaks chance.

With Caggs out, Drai has a better chance of seeing significant time at 3C, meaning Yakupov has a line mate.

29. Zelepukin says:

Yak Efron:
    So who gets injured next game?

My money is on Maroon.

30. OmJo says:

Yak Efron,

Talbot. Because Oilers.

31. Gerta Rauss says:

Centre of attention: This is Yaks chance

At this rate, it’ll be Yak, Drai and the janitor on that line because that’s all that will be healthy

32. dustrock says:

Not sure when I can forgive the Hall trade (Stanley Cup win?) but Dreamy & Hefty (Klef & Larsson) are looking pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

33. Zelepukin says:

OmJo:
    Yak Efron,

Talbot. Because Oilers.

ahh damn, I should have thought of that. That’s a good one.

34. Todd Macallan says:

TMac, on Drake: “Lower body, just got twisted up on his breakaway. See how he is in the morning.” Doesn’t sound like “weeks,” especially considering he was able to take the penalty shot afterwards. With the Oilers luck who knows, but I’m optimistic.

35. Halfwise says:

pocession charge: He’s young but definitely more intense than Schultz.I’m hoping that he is off to California for some ripening and perhaps the first RH injury call up if he’s progressing.

I hope so too.

I see the potential; he just has to learn the job and what he can’t get away with at this level, same as everyone else.

36. Suntory Hanzo says:

dustrock,

New season is in the works!

37. Centre of attention says:

Todd Macallan:

yeah i heard that afterwards too. Just going off what I heard from the radio crew / twitter previously with that comment.

Coach didn’t seem too concerned, though maybe he’s just numb to the injury bug now. I mean he took a puck himself and had to leave the bench, like if we didn’t have bad luck we wouldn’t have any luck at all.

38. Centre of attention says:

dustrock:
    Not sure when I can forgive the Hall trade (Stanley Cup win?)but Dreamy & Hefty (Klef & Larsson) are looking pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

agreed.

39. Genjutsu says:

As injuries go it hasn’t been all that bad mostly guys that where questionable to make the team anyways.

Davidson is the only real concern and he might be the first one back.

40. Younger Oil says:

As dumb as it sounds, an injury for Caggiula might be the best thing for his development.

41. BONE207 says:

Yak Efron:
    So who gets injured next game?

That’s Hunter’s area of expertise. What do you say Hunter? Pick a player and how many weeks. Put me down for: Yak for 4 weeks.

Because Oilers

42. who says:

Couple of random thoughts on the game tonight.
    1) they need to figure out the problem with the ice asap. Looked like they were playing with a sponge puck out there half the time. I want to see the talented players make plays, not struggle to settle the puck down.
    2) Tyler Myers is a quality dman. Have said that since I started posting here. Love the way he can shake a forechecker and skate the puck out of the zone.
    3) I predict the Oilers and Jets will finish ahead of the Flames and Canucks and both will challenge for a playoff spot. Lot of good young talent on both teams. Jets need to resolve the Trouba issue because they are thin on defense without him. Think the Oilers have a better group of six than the Jets do if Trouba is not in the Jets lineup.
    4)Oilers may not have to make any more cuts if they keep losing players to injury every game.
    5)I would sign Gryba and send Benning down for at least half a season. He makes a better first pass than Gryba but is not near as polished in his coverages and doesn’t defend as well. Gryba is a strong man and skates pretty well for a big guy. Reinhart and Benning would make a good first pairing in Bakersfield

43. Centre of attention says:

Larsson has been lowkey solid all pre-season IMO.

I know, I know. It’s only pre-season. Still a good arrow though.

44. "Steve Smith" says:

Can we recall people during the pre-season if our healthy roster dips to below twenty?

45. Thorin says:

Tye:

Thanks guys.

Reading that, Tye, I’d guess you’d do very well in software dev. Constantly wanting to learn new things and being naturally inquisitive and thoughtful are excellent qualities in this field.

It takes at least a couple of years of training (for instance at NAIT) and the first couple of years don’t pay that much (35k-45k first year after school), but it’s in an office during the day with decent benefits (or even working from home) and raises happen pretty quickly.

As a parent with two young kids you would qualify for various grants (better than student loans becauae you don’t have to pay a grant back). That would allow you to focus on your studies fulltime, rather than trying to work at the same time and then failing the classes. It’s what I ended up doing, I had one and then two kids while going to school.

All that said, your kids aren’t in school yet so moving to BC for a job is easier. And continuing on with welding will probably make you more money in the short and medium term than going back to school.

Once you figure out what you’re doing and get it all sorted out, don’t forget to come back and tell us so we can celebrate with you!

“Steve Smith”:

Chances are the cafe will know.

47. Gerta Rauss says:

“Steve Smith”: Also, does anybody know what time the gas station in Field, B.C., opens? Its hours aren’t posted, though it does have a sign posted indicating that it’s closed Wednesdays, which makes me suspect that I’m not getting out of here at, say, six am.

If it’s any help Steve, it’s mostly downhill to Golden from there

48. Thorin says:

I came home from driving kids to ringette and swimming, grabbed a beer, turned on the pvr and started the game I’d set to record.

“Blackout in effect”

FUCK

I guess all I can talk about tonight is cars. Someone posted they were getting a Super Seven? If I was looking ata car like that, I’d either want a Morgan or an Ariel Atom (both open-top cars). For some reason I don’t get excited at Super Sevens.

Here in St Albert they had the Rockin’ August car show. This one evening, I’d picked up some kids from the bar (my oldest is an adult now) and this Cruella DeVille typecar pulled up next to us. Turns out the driver handbuilt it on an old Cadillac chassis. It was a thing of beauty and absolutely unique. Sometimes I envy people who have the skill to create such things.

49. dangilitis says:

I’m convinced that the Oilers have enlisted the help of the media to skewer Yakupov’s value so that we can re-sign him for a long-term contract at bargain basement prices.

Because the alternative explanation would be that the Oilers would prefer to take Marcus Kruger’s shittier contract off Chicago’s hands… And no team would be dumb enough to trade a #1 draft pick for a 3.1 mil/y 4th line C in decline, right??? Right???!!!

50. Kmart99 says:

TYE,

Having been through a very similar situation, I’d suggest a school program that you are passionate about.

I worked on the oil rigs for 3 years and hated it. Then took Engineering at U of A, and worked for TerraCore for 1 year and hated it. Then I decided, at 29 yrs of age, I wanted to be a designer and took NAIT’s architectural technologist diploma. It was a hard pill to swallow having my wife support the fam for 2 years… But it was worth it. You said you like Sketchup, design, guitar … Sounds like there’s a big creative side to you. I don’t know if Architecture is your gig, but my advice would be to go towards whatever you feel pulled to.

Not to sound like I’m working for NAIT, but I LOVED the architectural program. Photoshop, Revit, Sketchup, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator. Lots of creative learning, and these are skills that someone creative can promote globally if need be. If you’re in a position where a career change is possible, I’d suggest you do so in a direction that you are passionate about. If training is necessary, then take the training.

I don’t make quite as much now as I used to in the oilfield, but my job security is as good as it has ever been and I love what I do. Best of luck to you.

Like Allan Watts says:

‘There’s no sense planning for a future that, when you get there, you won’t be there, you’ll be living in some other future that hasn’t yet arrived. You can’t live fully, unless you can live fully now.’

Badass motherfucker that Allan Watts is.

51. OmJo says:

dangilitis,

The Oilers are a special bunch. I’m waiting for the rumour to die off though.

Why would the Oilers give away Yakupov for an AHLer, and retain salary? Why the help the Blackhawks while getting screwed over at the same time? They have cap issues? Good! They’re competition, the worse shape they’re in, the better.

Find it funny how some Hawks fans are looking forward to the trade. Some even passing around the idea of Yakupov playing with Toews and Hossa. Meanwhile fans of his current team legitimately want to put him on waivers or trade him for “a bag of pucks”. No, not a physical bag of pucks, but just the saying itself. Like all they want back is the sentence ” A bag of pucks. “

52. OmJo says:

Yak retweeting somebody saying he hopes he’s an Oiler for years to come like why you gotta play with my heart like that. Either dude wants to stay or he’s a better troll than hockey player lol

53. admiralmark says:

For the life of me I cannot understand why McLellan thinks they need McDavid to block shots in order to win games. Get a competent PK unit and save McDavid for 5×5 and PP. We do not need this kid standing in front of 90mph slapshots.

I get throwing him out there in the last 30-40 seconds for the counter punch. But other then that I think its asinine. This team needs less injuries.. And with our injury luck this is just asking for it.

54. dangilitis says:

OmJo:
    dangilitis,

The Oilers are a special bunch. I’m waiting for the rumour to die off though.

Find it funny how some Hawks fans are looking forward to the trade. Some even passing around the idea of Yakupov playing with Toews and Hossa. Meanwhile fans of his current team legitimately want to put him on waivers or trade him for “a bag of pucks”. No, not a physical bag of pucks, but just the saying itself. Like all they want back is the sentence ” A bag of pucks. ”

Absolutely. I’m trying to figure out what this rumour entails. Giving away Yakupov to Chicago for 1.5 million/year, while they keep 1 million on the books? And/or taking one of the relatively few bad contracts left on that roster? While they are up against the cap, there aren’t many bad contracts on that team in the here and now, and the Oilers are likely going to have cheaper internal options for whatever player Chicago is offering, including Yakupov

I just can’t see any trade involving Yakupov making sense to the Oilers when his value is perceived to be net negative. I can accept the criticism from those who think he is not adding to the club at the moment (although I don’t necessarily agree with it). However, he is not making the Oilers, or any other team for that matter, worse, by his continued presence on its roster.

55. BONVIE says:

Current best lineups with injuries

Left Defense : Oscar Klefbom, Griffin Reinhart, Darnell Nurse

Left Wing : Milan Lucic, Benoit Pouliot, Patrick Maroon, Matt Hendricks
    Right Wing : Jordan Eberle, Zack Kassian, Kris Versteeg, Tyler Pitlick

Press box
    Eric Gryba
    Griffin Reinhart
    Mark Letetsu

I would definitely go with two Dman in the 23 man roster.

56. Oilanderp says:

dustrock:

I saw Danny Heatley at a glance in your post. Do I qualify for treatment? Man, I have a sore Vanek too.

57. auzy11 says:

A couple weeks ago i mentioned Ville Pokka on here playing for Rockford in CHI Towns system,Played for Finns in Worlds and more recently World Cup ,this kid is stuck in behind a bunch in Chicago If thats who the Oil are thinking of i would Trade Yak in a heartneat,if not there are about three players in Chicogos farm system that are NHL ready…….Pokka is pretty big and is said to have the heaviest shot in entire Hawks system including the NHL…..If thats who they are looking at get him NOW…Right hand D man…….

58. МАГИЯ 10 says:

“Steve Smith”: me

If it’s not open by 8, Wednesday may not mean what they think it means.

59. Kmart99 says:

That Yak to CHI deal makes very little sense for the Oilers if they have to retain salary.

Yak has averaged 16goals over 82games since coming to the NHL. Just because he isn’t a 1RW or a high end 2RW doesn’t mean he’s not an NHL player. He can put up a fair amount of offense playing 3-2RW so why would he have negative value?

Just doesn’t make sense to me. He’s a bust as a #1 overall, but he would be considered a success as a 4th Rd pick.

60. Pouzar says:

Chris Nichols (@NicholsOnHockey) | Twitter

3 mins ago – View on Twitter

McKenzie: But I do know this – If #Oilers can get Yakupov moved before the regular season, they’re going to do it. twitter.com/NicholsOnHock…

4 mins ago – View on Twitter

McKenzie: #Oilers have also been talking to a bunch of other teams about Yakupov. I don’t know that any of them are that far down the road.

61. OmJo says:

Pouzar:
    Chris Nichols (@NicholsOnHockey) | Twitter

3 mins ago – View on Twitter

4 mins ago – View on Twitter

I hope he does get traded. Go to a small market team, a competent organisation that won’t put him on the fourth line and say “okay, here are our worst players. Make these guys look like NHLers if you want to play with NHLers.”

62. HT Joe says:

How wild would it be for the NJ devils to pick up Yak for a mid-low draft pick? 🙂

On a more serious note, do people think Nashville would be a nice landing spot for him? That would become a fun team to cheer for.

63. OmJo says:

@JayZawaski670 I’m pretty used to being ignored by hockey media at this point. Today was actually the most credit I’ve gotten

What I love more than anything, with the exception of being right, is credit. I want the credit. Give it to me.

Tweets by Barstool chief guy. I’m telling you this is attention seeking 101. Eklund has a whole website he started by making BS trades lol, let’s not forget that.

64. Pouzar says:

OmJo: Kids’ already a mental disaster, I’m sure being told every day that the Oilers don’t want him, at all, is going to help his game.

I think shipping him off because they want him gone before the regular season is the wrong move especially with wingers dropping like flies. He has looked pretty good to me the last 2 contests now.
    Looks like Drai will have to play 3rd line C for sure, let Yak ride shotgun with him and Maroon and see what happens. Those 2 guys aren’t exactly chopped liver and they would most likely out play most bottom 6 comp.

65. OmJo says:

HT Joe,

Yakupov and a 3rd for a 2020 7th round draft pick.

66. Pouzar says:

Does this work for anyone?

67. Water Fire says:

admiralmark:
    For the life of me I cannot understand why McLellan thinks they need McDavid to block shots in order to win games. Get a competent PK unit and save McDavid for 5×5 and PP.We do not need this kid standing in front of 90mph slapshots.

It seems to me one of those old boy macho play until dead, anything for the team including have your best players out, mentalities. The worst thing is from the verbal it doesn’t sound like there is much or any training, just really the ‘school of hard knocks’ so to speak.

I get the value of getting in lanes, and if you do that right the risk of injury is less as the shots aren’t full bore because they don’t have time or something to shoot at.

‘Making saves’ and hunkering down 20 ft back to stop a clean one is plain stupid, and even Don Cherry says to let the goalie have it it’s his job and he has the pads – how many times are that type of play own goals from a deflection. Lots.

68. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

So some thoughts.

I have been on the record as stating that I was never once in any way shape or form worried about any sort of negative effect resulting from making Connor McDavid the Captain before the season began. Last night he reminded all of us, why any such fears are misplaced. In his first game with a C on his sweater (preseason yes I agree) the man goes out, scores two (has chances for at least two more), decides that he’ll lead an end to end to end to end rush because he needed a bit more cardio training and to top it off decides that its good entertainment for the entire building to “pucker up” everytime he gets within 15 feet of the puck. Connor McDavid doesn’t feel pressure, pressure feels Connor McDavid.

Folks there is something special about this here kid and I know as a jaded Oiler fan its tough to believe we can have nice things, but oh my gord! Through shear dumb luck we have had the second coming land in our collective hockey laps. I do not fret because deep down I know Connor does not fret, he’s too busy thinking about dominating the game of hockey to worry about such trivial matters.

69. Johnny skid says:

yak was one of the more noticeable players on the ice last night and did not disappear like some players above him in the lineup.

70. OmJo says:

Pouzar,

Oh don’t get me wrong, I would be ecstatic to see a Maroon -Drai – Yak third line this season. It’s just after a decade of high expectations I’m trying to lower them to avoid being disappointed when the Oilers do the “wrong” thing like they always seem to do.

I’m asking myself, “What would the Oilers do?” and it would be to trade Yakupov while he has the lowest value of his life, and is actually doing things on the ice now after training his ass off all summer.

And yeah, based on yesterdays game, his shot is still there. Aim is a little off, sure. I kind of wish guys would pass more to him, it seems like nobody on this team does anymore.

71. HT Joe says:

OmJo:
    HT Joe,

Yakupov and a 3rd for a 2020 7th round draft pick.

That sounds more like a trade with Kenny Holland… maybe Yak would do well in Detroit (especially with Coach Nelson running their AHL affiliate).

I guess what I’m saying is that now that the Oilers are seemingly starting to trade away their #1 overalls, I finally have a reason to start cheering for other teams.

I wish nothing but the best of luck for Yak, regardless of the jersey he’s wearing.

72. OmJo says:

Pouzar,

Yup, webpage loaded up for me on my phone.

73. Water Fire says:

Johnny skid:
    yak was one of the more noticeable players on the ice last night and did not disappear like some playersabove him in the lineup.

If he could just score (finish on his many chances) the conversation would be very different.

74. Pouzar says:

Benoit Pouliot is good at hockey. Jezzuz H the man is all arms and legs. What a stick and skater. We need more of him not less. Even Dennis Beyak called him McDavid a couple of times.
    Trade him at your peril Chia b/c he may also be your captain’s best LW option.

75. OmJo says:

HT Joe,

Well, atleast nobody will be complaining about us hogging first overall picks anymore, right? That’s a good thing. Sharing is caring and all of that.

And we don’t even ask a lot for these first overall picks. Sure, the fans had to endure year after year after year of ECHL-calibre hockey, and all of that will be for nothing once we trade Hall, Yak and Nuge for subpar returns 🙂

Note: Larsson isn’t a subpar player, but a subpar return for Hall. I hate the trade, not the player.

76. Pouzar says:

OmJo:
    Pouzar,

Yup, webpage loaded up for me on my phone.

Thx

77. Pouzar says:

OmJo,

Just stick him on the RW Line 3 already and let JP marinate for the love of Gord.

78. OmJo says:

If we go by preseason, our top 3 LW so far would be Pouliot, Maroon, and Lucic. IMO.

79. frjohnk says:

Yak gets traded

Then EBERLE gets injured.

JP is forced to play 1RW 1 week into the season.

Sounds about right

80. OmJo says:

Pouzar,

It seems obvious he isn’t ready for the NHL, yet he’s still here. I’d have to think Pitlick has a better chance of making the team than he does, in Yaks place. But he’s not a shiny new toy :/

Maroon – Drai – Yak works. Give that line some time and good things will happen. But we can never have good things for some reason.

81. HT Joe says:

OmJo:
    HT Joe,

I agree on all fronts. On that note, I sure hope we can keep Nuge and McDavid.

82. OmJo says:

frjohnk:
    Yak gets traded

Then EBERLE gets injured.

JP is forced to play 1RW 1 week into the season.

Sounds about right

Here come the Oilers lol 😛

83. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

My goodness there is Negative Nancy’ness clouding the blog this morning holy crapola.

84. Pouzar says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:

Join us or we will destroy you with groupthink and JDI-like puns.

85. OmJo says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

I’m not a morning person lol

86. Oddspell says:

frjohnk:
    Yak gets traded

Then EBERLE gets injured.

JP is forced to play 1RW 1 week into the season.

Sounds about right

To be fair, I imagine at that point Draisaitl slides over.

87. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:
  88. OmJo says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Pouzar,

OmJo,

I would suggest watching this. It’ll help

Aha much appreciated. I feel like one of those people in snickers commercials after watching that lol

McDavid is like that player you created on NHL games that is 99 overall lol… It seems he gets better and better every game if that’s even possible.

« Older Comments