TEN POINTS FROM GRIFFINDOR

Griffin Reinhart was sent to Bakersfield today, a predictable outcome based on his own performance. Peter Chiarelli traded for him in 2015, and part of the reason for it was immediate return—as in an NHL regular toot sweet. We are here. On draft weekend, I wrote the following:

• I have said, and believe, it was an overpay. If Reinhart ends up being Colten Teubert, please hold it against Peter Chiarelli and Bob Green. If he turns out to be splendid, give them credit. In the meantime, let’s not beat each other up too badly, okay? Thanks. Source

The Oilers appear to have lost this trade in two ways:

• First, the 2015-16 season saw Reinhart play only 29 games, and he did not emerge as a bona fide NHL defender. That was part of the reason for the deal, hurrying up the development time and getting an NHL-ready piece.
  • Second, the Islanders draft picks are pushing for NHL time (Mathew Barzal, Anthony Beauvillier) and appear to be on their way to solid NHL careers (note: five years, folks).

I think Peter Chiarelli overpaid, said it at the time and say it now. Reinhart failing to have an NHL career would be a bitter pill, but it does give PC a chance to re-think the evaluation team. If your advisors are giving you tips that look this bad one year on, are you sure listening to them is a good idea?

Not every trade works out, but that draft was a very deep one and this was rated as a poor one the day it was made. General managers have a responsibility to their owners and fans—this was a trade we called on day one and it has actually turned out worse (so far) than expected. The Oilers management should take heat for this deal, and that is not the same as disliking Griffin Reinhart. I’ll cheer like hell for him, but he missed a giant opportunity with this organization during 2016 training camp. It would have been a helluva lot easier to keep him here, but this decision wasn’t a difficult one.

THE CERTAIN OILERS

certain-oilers-sep-23

• This is the original certain list, and I do think all of the names here remain solid bets for the NHL roster this season. Roles may have changed—Leon could be on RW—but this is the heart of the order.

THE UNCERTAIN OILERS

uncertain-oilers

• The injured guys really cloud the roster as we enter the weekend. If all four men hit the IR (or three and Versteeg remains unsigned), then we are looking at the names on the certain list plus Slepyshev, Pitlick, Lander, Yakupov and Puljujarvi (making 14). I doubt it goes just this way.
  • Reinhart being sent out is predictable, he had (by my count) one good game and then last night he posted good possession numbers but did not play well.
  • We are at 8 defensemen now, Edmonton could run with them opening night. I would bet on signing Kris Russell or making a trade.

• Parsing Bob: The Oilers could deal Yak tonight (for a pick or a prospect) and sign Kris Russell tomorrow.
  • Parsing Bob: This might put Eric Gryba and or Matt Benning in a lesser position as it pertains to opening night roster.
  • Parsing Bob: Mark Fayne is in more hell than a little bit.
  • Parsing Bob: Stay near the cyber.

51 Responses to "TEN POINTS FROM GRIFFINDOR"

1. Younger Oil says:

“The Oilers management should take heat for this deal, and that is not the same as disliking Griffin Reinhart.”

This is perfectly worded, and sums up the feelings of everyone who hated the trade the day it was made.

Of course an Oiler fan is going to cheer for everyone in an Oiler jersey, and nobody in their right mind would wish failure upon anyone wearing the copper and blue.

As a result, the criticism against Reinhart and his development, and how he is doing compared to his peers and projected development is not personal.

Sure, he will always be compared to 16th and 33rd picks, but that comparison is ALWAYS going to be used to criticize the trade and the management, and never the player. He will always be held to a high standard, and be under scrutiny, but the same could be said about many, in not all NHL players.

It is just such an indefensible trade (in my opinion at least, and I’ve yet to see a compelling argument to make me reconsider my position). It’s “Wait and See” VS “Look at History”, which can promote good discussion, but makes it tough to change anyone’s mind, and I have no doubt will continue for the length of Reinhart’s career.

2. RexLibris says:

I might be a little prejudiced here, but looking over Fayne, Gryba and Russell together, I’d take either of the first two way before the third.

From Corsica.Hockey, proceeding Gryba – Fayne – Russell, here are some numbers:

CF%
    49.44
    49.27
    44.84

FF%
    48.4
    48.7
    46.83

xGA/60 (expected Goals Against/60 minutes)
    2.52
    2.58
    2.59

The one area Russell excelled was in penalty differential which went (same order)
    -11
    -10

Russell posts more offense, generally, but as a defender he is very not good.

3. Kraz says:

According to league sources, the #stlblues are on the verge of acquiring Edmonton forward Nail Yakupov.— Jeremy Rutherford (@jprutherford) October 7, 2016

4. Centre of attention says:

Stauffer thinks its a pick.

I’ll go with a 3rd round pick. + a conditional second if he scores well or something.

Anyone taking over/under?

5. Centre of attention says:

Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 33s33 seconds ago
    I can confirm. Yakupov traded to Blues. Unsure of return at this time. #Oilers

done deal

6. RexLibris says:

Gregor says Yakupov to the Blues.

So there we go.

Sail on, Nail. Best of luck to you.

7. JDï™ says:

Sail on Petrochemist, and thanks for all the bees!

I’ll go over, and say it’s a 2nd rounder.

8. Centre of attention says:

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 18s18 seconds ago
    Confirmed Yakapov a @StLouisBlues. Conditional pick involved. @NHL

Called it

9. Centre of attention says:

JDï™:
    Sail on Petrochemist, and thanks for all the bees!

I’ll go over, and say it’s a 2nd rounder.

It’s conditional. If he sucks in St Louis, its a 3rd. If he scores 15 goals its a 2nd.

10. Centre of attention says:

THEY ARE SIGNING RUSSEL LOL

This team man

11. Pouzar says:

sigh

Best of Luck Yak.

12. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention: If he scores 15 goals its a 2nd.

So, I was right then?

13. Centre of attention says:

St. Louis Blues ‏@StLouisBlues 17s17 seconds ago
    BREAKING NEWS: #stlblues acquire Nail Yakupov from Edmonton in exchange for Zach Pochiro and a conditional pick.

14. Pouzar says:

At least Russell is a right shot.

*click*

15. Centre of attention says:

JDï™: So, I was right then?

I never said you were wrong 🙂

I was correct btw, its a conditional 3rd rounder.

I hear things, sometimes. Shhhhh 😉

16. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention: Zach Pochiro

2015-16: Pochiro made his AHL debut with the Chicago Wolves in a December game against Milwaukee, finishing with no points nor penalties in his only AHL game. He played 44 games with the ECHL’s Quad City Mallards, scoring 9 goals with 17 assists, and was -9 with 69 penalty minutes. Quad City finished third in the Midwest Division and was swept by Missouri in a first-round playoff series. Pochiro missed the playoffs after suffering an upper-body injury in April.
    Talent Analysis

Pochiro continues to grow in the offensive zone but remains a power forward with a solid two-way game. He is still a work in progress at this time and continues to refine his skills and become a more consistent player. His overall skating is a concern and better puck handling skills will give him an added edge in the offensive zone to go along with his solid defensive play.
    Future

Pochiro played for the ECHL’s Quad City Mallards in his first pro season in 2015-16, appearing in one AHL game with the Chicago Wolves. A popular draft pick as a St. Louis native, he has some scoring ability and plays with a sandpaper to his game. The 22-year-old is still fairly raw as a prospect and will need to make strides in 2016-17 if he is to one day play in the NHL.

Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/zach-pochiro/#X3v2sqfWY4VyU2Dc.99

17. LadiesloveSmid says:

Sail on my enigmatic friend. From your early twitter follies, to sliding across rexall, to kissing the oil drop on your jersey, to the love you still held for the city and fans of the team that jostled you around like laundry. I won’t forget you and I will cheer you on wherever you find yourself.

Looking forward to a Chia’s next 7 trade wins to make up for some lost ground

18. Centre of attention says:

Pouzar:
    At least Russell is a right shot.

*click*

I think he did play right side in Calgary, FWIW.

I’m pissed btw. Drinking heavy already. Might need to take a self-induced time out before I say something silly here haha.

19. Pouzar says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 5m5 minutes ago
    Bob Stauffer Retweeted Nick Kypreos
    Don’t be surprised if Peter Chiarelli isn’t done here. Can use Yak’s cap space to upgrade D

20. JDï™ says:

Centre of attention: I was correct btw, its a conditional 3rd rounder.

3rd rounder if he scores 15 goals?

Does it matter if 6 of them are against the Oilers?

21. Pouzar says:

Centre of attention: I think he did play right side in Calgary, FWIW.

I am trying to abstain till Sunday. Single parenting this weekend. This is testing my sobriety.

22. Centre of attention says:

Edmonton OilersVerified account
    ‏@EdmontonOilers
    The selection becomes a second-round #NHLDraft choice in 2018 if Yakupov scores 15 or more goals during the 2016-17 season.

Turns out I knew exactly what the return was before it became public.

huh.

23. T0ML says:

Well atleast I wont feel dirty cheering on Yak City …. Hope he does well!

24. John Chambers says:

Wow – two #1 OV’s traded in a span of 100 days.

Our RW depth is all of a sudden suspect, and we’re looking at Slepyshev in the top-9 in the event of an injury.

McLellan and many others must’ve really disliked Nail Yakupov.

25. Ribs says:

What is a “Zach Pochiro”? I’m assuming some sort of mexican pasta dish?

26. Pouzar says:

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 41s42 seconds ago
    There are rumblings tonight that Kris Russell will be signing with EDM, too.

27. John Chambers says:

Pouzar:
    Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer5m5 minutes ago
    Bob Stauffer Retweeted Nick Kypreos

Let’s hope this results in Trouba becoming an Oiler.

28. Centre of attention says:

Pouzar:
    Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC41s42 seconds ago
    There are rumblings tonight that Kris Russell will be signing with EDM, too.

🙂 called it 20 minutes ago

Pissing away value with a firehouse since 2007.

Ladies and Gentlemen your Edmonton Oilers.

Now they signed Russell.

Fuck.

30. Pouzar says:

Woodguy:
    Pissing away value with a firehouse since 2007.

Ladies and Gentlemen your Edmonton Oilers.

Now they signed Russell.

Fuck.

Character brah!

31. JDï™ says:

This is exactly like the 6th year of owning that Passat.

32. square_wheels says:

Woodguy,

I think Taylor-Haul 4000 may have just melted down……..mushroom cloud emanating from our ‘hood in Calgary……….hope G is ok ?

This fucking org.

Fuck.

33. JDï™ says:

square_wheels: hope G is ok ?

As long as he got the snow tires on his NSX, he should be alright.

34. JDï™ says:

Elliotte Friedman Verified account
    ‏@FriedgeHNIC

Russell deal may not be announced until tomorrow, but word is it’s a one-year deal at approx $3.1M

35. RexLibris says:

Woodguy:
    Pissing away value with a firehouse since 2007.

Ladies and Gentlemen your Edmonton Oilers.

Now they signed Russell.

Fuck.

Yep.

They have Gryba sitting right there, and Nakladal hanging back in the reeds just waiting to sign in Calgary (would he consider Edmonton?) but you know who’s really effective at the hockey-ing? Russell!

36. Pouzar says:

JDï™:
    Elliotte Friedman Verified account
    ‏@FriedgeHNIC

*pssssshhhhhtttt*

37. hunter1909 says:

Centre of attention:
    St. Louis Blues ‏@StLouisBlues17s17 seconds ago

Oilers = Official feeder team to the NHL. Since 1991.

38. T0ML says:

I mean its not a massive overpay …. even if it is 1 year, atleast he can PK and we wont be fucked if he is injured (I’d rather him on it than Klef #oilerspositives)

39. Pouzar says:

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 43s43 seconds ago
    Bob Stauffer Retweeted Elliotte Friedman
    Adding Russell Would give Oilers D: Klefbom-Larsson, Nurse-Davidson, Russell-Sekera (played RD WCOH) and Fayne

40. JDï™ says:

New post up.

41. Chachi says:

Was Russell going to get 3.1 million from any other team in the NHL? Was he going to get 2.5 million? 2 million? 1.5 million, maybe? He better block every fucking shot that is taken in the Oilers’ end all fucking year when he is on the ice for 3.1 million plus some shots that are taken when he ISN’T on the ice.

42. Ray says:

So the trade is actually Nail for Rusell, a pick and a spot on the 50 man roster.

Just like Hall went for Larson and Lucic right?

43. МАГИЯ 10 says:

JDï™: 3rd rounder if he scores 15 goals?

Does it matter if 6 of them are against the Oilers?

We can start Gusto for all the games in that series.

44. PunjabiOil says:

called it 20 minutes ago.

Called it 4 hours ago 😉

Same source says Versteeg signing imminent.

45. Ben says:

If Chiarrelli turns out to be dog food I just don’t think I’ll be able to handle it.

A pure circus of un-smartness. From the very top down.

46. commonfan14 says:

Ben,

“If?”

47. Wild Bill Hunter says:

48. matt says:

Pouzar,

Dude, single parenting vaporizes my sobriety.

49. matt says:

John Chambers,

hahahahaha. Oh, I needed that. I mean, two first round picks and Yak in 2015 for Trouba and some stuff? Sure. Now? Russell, Rinehart.

50. matt says:

Wild Bill Hunter: I am not totally opposed to trading Yakupov, but for less than nothing? Why bother? AND Kris fricking Russell????? What is Chiarelli thinking? Russell is not even close to being what the Oilers are missing.

Somebody sell him the High Level bridge quickly in exchange for his job please.

51. anjinsan says:

Reinhart was losing (Barzal/Kyle Connor) + Brandon Carlo. This is just incompetence.

Yak shot 21% and led the Oilers in goals his first year and then management made garbage of him — is this not dysfunction?

Fire Renney. Fire Krueger. Hire MacTavish; Hire Eakins…who is keeping track of the +/- of management?

Petry … Dubnyk…Hall Ugh.

If Connor McDavid leaves, does the franchise collapse?