THERE’S A PLACE

The Edmonton Oilers are huddling these hours, figuring out the final opening night roster. Some decisions have already been made—the club likes several wingers, did not like several blue enough—and we are at a point where we have the 23-man roster surrounded.

OPENING NIGHT ROSTER (A GUESS)

• Milan Lucic—Connor McDavid—Jordan Eberle
  • Benoit Pouliot—Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Leon Draisaitl
  • Patrick Maroon—??????—Jesse Puljujarvi
  • Tyler Pitlick—Mark Letestu—Zack Kassian
  • Extras: Drake Caggiula, Anton Slepyshev
  • Oscar Klefbom—Adam Larsson
  • Kris Russell—Andrej Sekera
  • Darnell Nurse—Brandon Davidson
  • Extra: Mark Fayne
  • Cam Talbot (Jonas Gustavsson)

I think we see a center acquired, otherwise the ??? becomes Anton Lander. One of the things that the Yakupov trade gave us was more clarity about RW. If we look at pairs and lines over the preseason, the names Jordan Eberle, Leon Draisaitl, Jesse Puljujarvi and Kris Versteeg appear heavily on the skill lines.

AHEM

• Elliotte Friedman: Edmonton’s decision on Kris Versteeg may not come until after Wednesday. On a PTO, Versteeg played well before a groin injury. The Oilers can take time to make sure he’s healthy, and it can’t hurt start-of-season roster/cap management. Source

Interesting news, and it does inform us in regard to decisions that need to be made between now and opening night Wednesday against the Calgary Flames. I think the chances of Edmonton running Leon on RW opening night are pretty good—especially if Drake Caggiula is ready to go. Also seems to me a RHC may be on the wish list, and Edmonton does have some room—just a little—on the 50-man:

50-man-oct-9

If the Oilers sign Versteeg and add someone via waivers, the roster would be at 49—probably too close for comfort and we may not see a waiver claim. Could we see a trade? I think it probably comes down to this: Edmonton has more than one need, and the season will bring its own surprises. We should probably assume that the roster opening night looks as above.

C-H-A-N-G-E-S

re forwards 2016-17RE DEFENSE 2016-17re oilers goals against 2016-17

These are my RE projections for 2016-17 (226-226) and it is interesting to see how little has changed on this roster since I ran these numbers. I have Nail Yakupov on the list, do not have Kris Versteeg and Kris Russell. In looking at this list, interesting to see how equal the GF I projected from RW (Eberle—27; Puljujarvi—14; Yakupov—11. Total: 52) compared to LW (Lucic—22; Pouliot—17; Maroon—12. Total: 51) on the top three lines. I have the top three centers scoring 68 goals, Leon moving over changes things—should that occur.

I think Jesse Puljujarvi has shown he can survive in the NHL, and he will chip in here and there on offense—especially if the club gets him some power-play time. In 6 preseason games, he scored a goal and averaged a little over 13 minutes a night. He made several mistakes via pass, battled well and can certainly hit and take a hit.

The Oilers could send JP down, and play Leon at RW with Caggiula on 3C (Lander until he is ready) with Pitlick, Kassian and Slepyshev vying for playing time. I do not think it is likely, and would be interested in knowing just how difficult the JP decision is for Todd McLellan.

47 Responses to "THERE’S A PLACE"

1. Woogie63 says:

Should we get Yakimov a plane ticket YEG?

2. jonrmcleod says:

Would someone send Cheapo Steve $2 so he won’t die of thirst?

steve simmons
    @simmonssteve
    The cheapo Blue Jays, who sell out every game, don’t turn the soda machine on in press box until close to game time. No one else does that.

3. jonrmcleod says:

Send him a slice of pizza while your’re at it.

steve simmonsVerified
    ‏@simmonssteve
    It’s same with food. Big league teams offer some form of sustenance on work out days – Pizza in Texas. The Blue Jays give you nothing.

4. hunter1909 says:

Hunter1909’s Oilers Death March is back for the 2016-17 season!

Here’s how you play: Pick the exact number of points you think the Oilers will have at the end of the season.

Then, after the usual training camp hypejobs stop and the real NHL starts, Oilers usually lose 2-3 defencemen and spent the rest of the season chasing/debating the lottery. What better way to enjoy those pointless, meaningless games than The Hunter1909 Official Oilers Death March™?

Last year had well over 200 players. Prizes being sorted as this message gets posted for last season’s winners who will be notified at a later date.

Contest Entry: Open until puck drop on opening night. Think of a giant guillotine blade – once the first puck drops it’s all over.

5. JDï™ says:

jonrmcleod,

It’s as if they don’t like the Toronto sports media. Huh.

Why is Marie Antoinette at a ballgame?

7. JDï™ says:

I haven’t heard this one – why is Marie Antoinette at a ballgame?

8. Klima's_Bucket says:

Marie Antoinette always makes me think of this song a buddy showed to me years ago.

“On a warm and sunny day in the land of the grapes
    The masses gathered by the gates
    Hoping Marie was there
    Cause there was no more bread on the shelf
    The doughboy had relieved himself
    What could her highness spare

“Don’t hesitate to feed them cake”
    That is the famous quote she spake
    Angels, devils upside down – what was she thinking”

9. npanciroli says:

I think JP is in Bakersfield without injuries.
    This management (Chia) hasn’t had issues sending players down before with Nurse and Drai.

Lucic McDavid Eberle
    Pouliot RNH Drai
    Maroon Cagguila Versteeg

Was probably the plan until injuries.

10. sliderule says:

hunter1909,

OK Hunter first time at this.

I was going to do Connors number at 97 but with 11 turnovers from D I deducted 8 pts and go with 89

11. Halfwise says:

Does giving JP a few games with the big club at the start of the year conflict with “win now”? I think it does but PC and TMc might be too curious to resist the temptation.

I’d play Pitlick and send down JP until Christmas.

12. Alpine says:

As Ladieslovesmid noted in the previous thread, Dylan Wells has .933 SV% through 5 games. SSS warning but I feel like Jumps in SV% are common from draft to draft+1 or +2 years for some good CHL prospect goalies. Brossoit saw a jump in his third year, Murray saw one in his fourth year. Hope Wells can keep it up, he might be for real.

13. Zelepukin says:

Hunter, put me down for 99. The Rexall curse will be lifted. We’ll have the least amount of man-games missed in years.

14. Pescador says:

jonrmcleod:
    Send him a slice of pizza while your’re at it.

steve simmonsVerified
    ‏@simmonssteve

You already have a free ticket in, you deserve free food & drink taboot?
    I suspect as soon as he gets his free shit, he will start complaining about the quality.
    What a slob.
    Great post, happy thanksgiving Mr Mitchell &
    Too all

15. Professor Q says:

Why is Marie Antoinette at a ballgame?

She must have lost her head.

16. go_oil says:

If Caggiula is stil hurt I could see:

Milan Lucic—Connor McDavid—Jordan Eberle
    Benoit Pouliot—Ryan Nugent-Hopkins—Jesse Puljujarvi
    Patrick Maroon—Leon Draisaitl—Anton Slepyshev
    Tyler Pitlick—Mark Letestu—Zack Kassian

Perhaps Jesse and Anton switching spots, or Versteeg eventually sliding in there.

17. Professor Q says:

npanciroli:
    I think JP is in Bakersfield without injuries.

Lucic McDavid Eberle
    Pouliot RNH Drai
    Maroon Cagguila Versteeg

Was probably the plan until injuries.

Yet why does Caggiula get a placement? Shouldn’t he be in the AHL before Pulju?

18. Ryan says:

Why are the Oilers always so tight against the 50 man?

At times like this, it would be nice not to have signed Christoffer.

19. Frank the dog says:

How they do this season is a really big tell for so many things. Did Chia build an exponentially better team by swapping Hall and Demera for Lucic and Larssen? Are we just an injury prone team or was last year an aberration? Are we doomed to screwed up referring or did they just turn a blind eye to infections last year?
    Were the 10 years of suck Katz just sticking it to Northlands, for opposing the arena, using all that time to build a dynasty team, or did they really not have a clue for all those years?
    Like most of us I am hoping for the best, that we explode out the gate, CMD wins the Calder, TMac wons coach of the hear and the team makes it to the 2nd roind of the playoffs.
    I think the team looks good enough to to that nit so did last years team at this time.
    I am concerned at the number of injuries we already have in the pre-season.
    .500 is 82 points. So with the present uncertainties, the likelihood to me is perhaps 78 points.
    But if the years of rebuild were on fact an intentional preparation at the expense of Northlands in order to build an arena dynasty, and it does in fact come together, then the sky is the limit.
    I have been optimistic for too long.

%%HUNTER: Put me down for 79 points. This means better than anyone since the great collapse, but only gradual progress, more likely though that I will no longer be disappointed.

20. Woogie63 says:

Ryan:
    Why are the Oilers always so tight against the 50 man?

At times like this, it would be nice not to have signed Christoffer.

Did we need to take a contact back to move Yak?

21. Ryan says:

Woogie63: Did we need to take a contact back to move Yak?

According to my googling, the Blues have 48 contracts, so probably ‘yes.’

22. stush18 says:

Ryan:
    Why are the Oilers always so tight against the 50 man?

At times like this, it would be nice not to have signed Christoffer.

Most teams are tight against the fifty man limit. 20 plus players for each NHL and ahl roster.

23. Richard S.S. says:

Defense is set at $23.696 Million. Goal is set at $4.967 Million. LT’s Top Two Lines are set at $29.175 Million. Those still healthy plus buyout are set at $5.3 Million. LTIRs, Ference, Hendricks and Pakarinen cost $5.825 Million. This totals about $69.488 Million.

That leaves $3.512 Million to fill 2 RW or 3 RW, 3C, 4 LW and two spares (C and W) and still stay under the cap. How LTIRs and the Cap function together I have no idea. Versteeg doesn’t need to be signed before Game One. Puljujarvi can go down for 15 – 20 games to bring his game up to speed. Caggiula can stay down until after Game One.

Lander (C) over Caggiula (C) costs $.988 Million ($.362 Million saving). Pitlick (RW) over Versteeg costs $.725 Million (a minimum of $. 775 Million saved). Even Slepyshev costs $1.525 Million. Just those three still cost $3.238 million. I think Chiarelli has more significant decisions to make than just Puljujarvi.

24. Simba says:

hunter1909,

Hey Hunter, put me down for 92.

25. blackadder says:

hunter1909,

Just finished an amazing Thanksgiving supper, watching the 1974 version of the Three Musketeers with the family, and feeling great about the world.

So, you can put me down for 98 points.

26. striker says:

hunter1909,

Hey Hunter, I’ll guess 90 points for the Oil. Thanks for doing this by the way.

27. Johnny Larue says:

Professor Q: Yet why does Caggiula get a placement? Shouldn’t he be in the AHL before Pulju?

Drake is not 18 so not as young also speaks the language played on the small ice etc. Not saying Jesse is going to be great just that the AHL would help him get up to speed

28. Brad says:

Professor Q,

Because he has earned the look based on his play. Puljujarvi has not, IMO. Likely doesn’t matter, as I assume both will be on the opening night roster. But Cagguila has made it on merit, regardless of whatever people like to say about the Oilers Oilering.

29. SkatinginSand says:

Frank the dog,

Connor could win the Hart, Art Ross, Rocket Richard, Mark Messier, Lady Bing awards, among others. After last game, he might even get a few votes for the Vezina. I would be delirious if he won the Conn Smythe. However, there is no way that he will ever win the Calder. That is only for rookies and he was robbed last year.

30. JohnnyRocket says:

Hey Hunter, Please put me down for 88 points. Thanks again for doing this!

31. Frank the dog says:

SkatinginSand:
    Frank the dog,

Connor could win the Hart, Art Ross, Rocket Richard, Mark Messier, Lady Bing awards, among others.After last game, he might even get a few votes for the Vezina. I would be delirious if he won the Conn Smythe.However, there is no way that he will ever win the Calder. That is only for rookies and he was robbed last year.

My bad, thank you.

32. slopitch says:

If he’s gonna play RW, I’d like to see Drai with McDavid. At least for a look.

33. SkatinginSand says:

I have a feeling that as soon as Ference gets LTIRed, Versteeg will get a contract and Puljujarvi will get a free ticket to look for the Girl with Faraway Eyes. Of course I am wrong about as often as I am right.

I am not comparing their abilities as players, but since the departure of Visnovsky, has there been any Oilers defenceman as active in the offensive zone as Russell was last night?

Brad:
    Professor Q,

When Cagguila or Puljujarvi does something for 20 games in the AHL it will mean something. One basically still has no clue whether either player is ready.

If either one starts in the NHL, it is not based on merit, it will be merely based on a hunch or guess that a ridiculously small sample size against an indeterminate level of competition may continue when competition begins for real.

35. BONVIE says:

Hendricks
    Pak

Minors… Pulijarvi, Lander

36. JJS says:

Brad:
    Professor Q,

Not to mention he has 4 years of collegiate hockey (NHL sized rink, top notch coaching/systems) and is 22 years old. This matters for the vast majority of hockey players (superstars notwithstanding). Add that to his polished play over the course of the past 3 weeks and Caggs should be considerably ahead in terms of the lineup.

37. JDï™ says:

SkatinginSand: Puljujarvi will get a free ticket to look for the Girl with Faraway Eyes.

As long as he doesn’t start running red lights, I’m okay with this.

38. jm363561 says:

godot10: Training camp means eff all. If training camp meant something, wouldn’t Tkachev be in the NHL?

When Cagguila or Puljujarvi does something for 20 games in the AHL it will mean something.One basically still has no clue whether either player is ready.

I could not have put this better myself, (and did not in my two previous posts). If these two + Versteeg and Benning are on the roster we are wishing on a prayer (much as I like Cagguila, JP and Benning).

39. JDï™ says:

Hey anyone with cable in north america – was there an episode of Last Man On Earth tonight? Or was it nixed for the ‘debate’?

Asking for a friend.

40. stush18 says:

Just a little tidbit but tkachev has 17 points in 16 games in the khl, as a 21 yr old.

I’m going on record as saying he prolly could have played in the NHL, and very w ell may still

41. JDï™ says:

stush18: tkachev has 17 points in 16 games in the khl

To be fair, the KHL scoring leaders feature a variety of failed NHL players. O! has 22 points.

Not that it’s so much less of a league, but it’s very different to score in the KHL.

42. MessyEH says:

82 pts for McDavid and 82 Pts for the Oilers.

43. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

Ok, I’m going to be that jerk guy who plays the “spelling and grammar” card. Could we recognize that “prolly” is not actually a word? We aren’t limited to 140 characters like Twitter and it takes only a couple more keystrokes, so how about we just stick with actual spelling?

That’d be great. I guess I’m just old.

Edit: My wife just said after reading this, “Wow you’re grumpy too!”

Sorry about that!

44. Zack says:

HUNTER: please put me down for 87pts!

It’s nice to see, after all these years, that the needs/holes we have aren’t the #1, #2 C or Defense positions. Hopefully we see Versteeg healthy soon, slotting Draisiatl back at 3C for a nice forward depth chart.

45. Jethro Tull says:

Walter Gretzkys Neighbour:

That’d be great. I guess I’m just old.

Edit: My wife just said after reading this, “Wow you’re grumpy too!”

Sorry about that!

“That would” not “That’d”. We’re not limited to 140 characters, you know.

😉

46. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

Jethro Tull: “That would” not “That’d”. We’re not limited to 140 characters, you know.

Ha! Perfect! I was going for the Lumberg vibe!

47. Jethro Tull says:

Walter Gretzkys Neighbour: Ha! Perfect! I was going for the Lumberg vibe!

Lol, I think that’s how Eakins broke Yak.

“So….we don’t have a first overall pick on the third line, so if you could do that, That’d be great.”