SOMEONE BELONGS TO EVERYONE (AND NO ONE BELONGS TO ME)

I would get the papers after school—maybe 3:45—from the Sears on the highway. The Saskatoon Star-Phoenix provided two bags and I would put about 30 in each—they gave you extra, but my Dad always subscribed anyway. In summer, later in July, I would do the north side of town and then the east and then come downtown to Rexall Drugs. If the July Hockey News was in (and I would have been checking for a couple of weeks), all I had to do was deliver main street and then head home past the post office, credit union and the Co-op.

The July edition of The Hockey News had all of the trades, and complete draft coverage. I remember the 1974 edition best, they drafted 247 players that year and by midnight of the first night in my hands I had memorized the Bruins and Seals picks. To this day, I can tell you things about some of them I bet you do not know:

• Boston drafted Mark Howe, who at that time (1974 summer) was coming off a 38-goal season with the Houston Aeros of the WHA. He would never play in Boston, instead entering the NHL in 1979 as a member of the New England Whalers. He was a LW in 1974, and a great one, too. By 1979 he was a dynamic defender and a future Hall of Famer. He suffered a horrible injury in 1980 when he slid into the pointed metal center of the net and cut a five inch gash in his upper thigh. He was essentially impaled by the metal, and the injury, which nearly ended his career, prompted the NHL to change the design of its nets so that there would no longer be a center portion that jutted up toward the goal line. He never played for any of my favorite teams, but Boston drafted him and I liked him for his entire career because of it.
  • Boston drafted Tom Edur that year. Edur became famous (for me) as one of the few famous Jehovah’s Witnesses of my young life—he actually retired from the game in order to minister his faith to others. It was a pretty big story at the time (this was later in the 1970s), but I knew who he was because I had memorized his name from that 1974 Hockey News.
  • California drafted Charlie Simmer, I knew his name in July 1974. He didn’t become really famous until 1979 as a member of the Los Angeles Kings, but I followed his career as a Seal prospect for several years. Simmer came into pro hockey at a time when good young players were losing a chance to develop due to finances. There were some (I could find the stories in old HNs) were entire leagues were cutting down to survive—gas shortage, bankruptcy, God knows what all. Simmer was signed by the Los Angeles Kings after the Cleveland Barons (the Seals moved there in the 1970s) in the period after the Barons released all of their prospects in an effort to save money. All of them.
  • Ron Chipperfield was a very famous prospect in 1974, I thought he would go No. 1 overall on the strength of scoring 90 goals for the Brandon Wheat Kings in 1973-74. He went late in Round 1 (skating issues) but for me it was extra reason to cheer for him. When Chipperfield landed in Edmonton as an Oiler, I had about six years of intel on him—and extra heartbreak when he was traded to the Quebec Nordiques at a difficult time for him.

Prospects. I have always followed them, their careers and their travels. So, when Anton Lander was drafted in 2009, I did what the Hockey News used to do for me—gathered all of the intel available and started a file on him. Lander is pretty close to an ideal Lowetide prospect—smart, two-way center, maybe a little shy offensively but carrying other things that give him value. I think Lander was mishandled at times during his Oilers career, but he has also had periods of poor or inconsistent play that helped get him here. In my mental file, Anton Lander is as important as Tom Edur and Charlie Simmer and all of the others who have come along over these many years. I think that is, at the heart of things, the reason I am a fan. Caring about players based on their story, the story you place around them combined with on-ice feats you witness. I care about Anton Lander, today. I hope things go well for him, and I will think of him—as I did of Ron Chipperfield when finding out about the wildly unfair circumstances surrounding his life at the time of his trade to Quebec—and wonder about him as his life rolls out, here or in another town. It is the people and their stories that breathe life into the relationship between fan and team. The Anton Lander file has reached a fork in the road, but it will not end, today. Godspeed, Anton Lander, and I hope you find your place in the sun.

ROSTER CUT DOWN DAY!

opening-night-oct-10-potential-roster

• Anton Lander, Kris Versteeg and Matt Benning are on the outside looking in currently. That could change for one or more today.
  • Waivers (as we discussed yesterday) are possible and RW, C and D are available who could help. It is late in the process to add a player, but we will see.
  • Players who we would not have picked at the beginning of camp as locks: Matt Benning, Tyler Pitlick, Anton Slepyshev, Drake Caggiula.
  • Jesse Puljujarvi looks like a roster player for opening night, lots of upset people about this decision. I will tell you that he does not look like a fish out of water out there (good at marking his man, very physical, can win battles) and that he is probably one of the four best RW options at this time. I think expecting anything more than a goal every four games or so is unreasonable. His RE is here. It is reasonable to expect JP to play in Edmonton and Bakersfield this season.
  • Leon Draisaitl is a key player for this team. Placing him on RW confirms (imo) the Oilers are worried about offense sans Taylor Hall for the line that goes over the boards after McDavid. Vital that 2line scores regularly, I think 50+ goals is a reasonable goal for Pouliot-Nuge-Leon.

TOWER OF BABEL

Back when I was a mod for HFboards, it became clear to me that there was a generation gap—and I was on the old man side of it. It took me some time to understand that younger people (HF’s posters were universally younger than me) had no trouble using hyperbole or what I would consider inflammatory words in normal conversation.

So people would get timed out or banned by me for things that weren’t really worth banning. To this day, I will say ‘this player is perhaps unready’ whereas the 2001 HFboards member might say ‘the guy is crap’ and what has changed is that I have learned to live with it. When chatting back and forth with the yutes of 2001, sometimes I would give my ‘more flies with honey’ speech and they would politely listen and then go on with their lives—which is probably what I would have done at the same age.

Fifteen years on and the conversation hasn’t gotten as far was many of us hoped, and I think part of that comes from the generation gap mentioned above. There are discussions that can be had, one side to the other, but the math folks grow weary of re-explaining things and the older set gets pissed at being patronized. And so it goes.

I have no answer, and increasingly find myself isolated from both msm and the entire math society. Never an insider in either arena, I kept sifting through what was available (and what I could understand) for one true thing. When I found it (varies, but for defensemen it is Corsi for RelTm 5×5), it became my default position until further notice.

What I find now is a lot of men and women in the field, miles smarter than me and each it seems with their own Bible. Back in the day, the way things usually worked went like this: Vic or Tyler would write a post (or someone else) and the group would chime in with ideas, eventually reaching a conclusion or growing another arm or statistic. That was the deal, kind of like a melting pot.

Now? Tower of Babel. I have no answers for you, remain hopeful that WoodMoney gets published and wait for Tyler Dellow to land somewhere in media and find a larger platform. In the meantime, I do gather what I can, ask questions of those I trust and look forward to another period of enlightenment.

For what it’s worth, here is what the numbers I value tell us about Kris Russell:

1. Mark Giordano 2.6
  2. TJ Brodie 1.7
  3. Dougie Hamilton 1.7
  4. Jyrki Jokipakka -1.8
  5. Derek Engelland -3.7
  6. Dennis Wideman -3.7
  7. Kris Russell -4.7 (also includes Dallas numbers)
  8. Source

That is CorsiFor%/RelTeam at 5×5, and gives us a good look into Kris Russell as a player. I spoke to Kent Wilson the other day, the impression I got of Russell was as a third-pairing blue who could be deployed on the second power play. That seems completely reasonable to me, although the shot blocking verbal sometimes implies we are looking at a defensive defender. Again for what it is worth, allow me to publish the Oilers numbers from last season:

1. Brandon Davidson 4.1
  2. Oscar Klefbom 1.9
  3. Eric Gryba 1.2
  4. Mark Fayne 0.6
  5. Andrej Sekera 0.1
  6. Griffin Reinhart -2.9
  7. Darnell Nurse -4.8

For Sekera and Fayne, we need to remember they were playing tougher opposition, but then again I have read many places where Kris Russell is manna from heaven because he can replace Mark Fayne. Bottom line: We all evaluate things differently, and in other spots on the internet (twitter is now a snake pit) people are no longer talking to each other, rather across each other. Blocking someone means failure, not success. We would do well to remember that, and for men and women who are my age we should also remember that aggressive verbal from a younger person does not mean their words have no value. It is a very difficult time to be an adult learner, and I find myself distressed at how so few people are open to new ideas—or to the possibility their language and Bible may not be the truth and the light. Hail Mary, full of grace.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Scott Burnside, ESPN. Sidney Crosby’s concussion isn’t good news for anyone.
  • Jonathan Willis, Cult of Hockey. Oilers waivers, final roster set.
  • Scott Cullen, TSN. Crosby, mlb playoffs, CFL weekend.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. Talk soon!

400 Responses to "SOMEONE BELONGS TO EVERYONE (AND NO ONE BELONGS TO ME)"

« Older Comments
  1. JDï™ says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie now14 seconds ago

CGY signs Nick Grossmann, who was on a PTO, to one-year, one-way deal worth $575K.

2. russ99 says:

My Death March pick already had a sprinkle of mismanagement built into it. Lol

I’m staying put.

3. Centre of attention says:

Sounds like Ristolainen just signed, Trouba domino to fall shortly?

4. classict says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

Fair enough. And in many player evaluation cases, like Larson or even Russell it’s probably fair to say we need some time before jumping to conclusions. I know as people keep digging into the stats opinions are changing a bit.

Today though I’m all for the pitchforks, maybe there’s something unexpected brewing but setup for future moves doesn’t seem to be something the Oilers have done lately. It doesn’t really take player evaluation ability or an understanding of stats to see the RW depth is in a potentially very bad place.

Placing all their bets on every single aspect of the team being the best case scenario has screwed them for years now and it’s looking like they’re going to try it again.

5. stephen sheps says:

hunter1909: The Hunter1909 Death March™ takes a person’s points total and once that’s been written in THE BOOK, IN INK…

Besides, what self-respecting Death March™ allows people to change their minds?

Hunter, just making sure you have my request for a Hemsky down in that book of yours. I was one of the earliest people to respond, and have no desire to change my tune, despite management’s attempts to make it harder to love this stupid team.

thanks

6. LadiesloveSmid says:

sign Boyes now, should have claimed Parenteau. Wonder if Versteeg timed it to screw them

7. dustrock says:

JDï™:
    Scott Cullen ‏@tsnscottcullen 15m15 minutes ago

Not sure about this, but I’m hearing that Chiarelli designed the Samsung Note 7.

Ugh, management still a laughing stock. Great.

8. JustWatt says:

JDï™: And maybe with that wonky groin, he’s more comfortable fitting into the Calgary lineup!

Yeah, it’s true that he doesn’t have the correct anatomical defect to play on this team. Point conceded!

9. Pouzar says:

Jack Michaels (@EdmontonJack) | Twitter

1 hour ago – View on Twitter

(Projected lineup 2/2) Klefbom-Larsson, Sekera-Russell, Nurse-Davidson. Talbot starts, Gustavsson backs up. Slepyshev, Fayne, Gryba extras.

2 hours ago – View on Twitter

(Correction) Oiler lineup for tomorrow: Lucic-McDavid-Eberle, Pouliot-RNH-Draisaitl, Maroon-Caggiula-Puljujarvi, Pitlick-Letestu-Kassian…

10. stush18 says:

Holy shit tune in at lunchtime and the comment section is on its second page!

11. Centre of attention says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 23s24 seconds ago
    Bob McKenzie Retweeted John Vogl
    Six years and $5.4M AAV for Ristolainen:

Trouba domino to fall soon?

12. JDï™ says:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger now10 seconds ago

Darren Dreger Retweeted Calgary Flames

My read: Oilers likely wanted Versteeg to be more of a part-time player than he was comfortable with.

13. PhrankLee says:

If someone told me 2 years ago that Versteeg would turn down an offer to play with the Oilers after a PTO because Versteeg himself didn’t think he would be in the top 6 I would have given thanks then and there.

In my mind it represents a big improvement. If what I am getting is the right story. That says a lot about our team actually improving.

I left for a year to get away from the conflict you describe so well in your post, LT.

Like every other year since 79 I will wait 20 games until I have an opinion of this year’s squad. I need to see them play some actual games before I can saw off and tell anyone what mistakes an NHL GM is making.

Preseason has never counted.

14. Centre of attention says:

Etem on waivers.

I would claim him, our RW depth is that bad.

15. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

classict,

Ok but they didn’t put all of their hopes on a line of unseen players. They signed Versteeg to a PTO, played him and played him in a position to succeed in training camp, were nervous over his injury history before and then got injured in camp and then he signed with Calgary who probably offered top line minutes.

This sort of argument echoes the Subban/Hamilton trade talks and even though in the Hamilton case we have heard from reliable sources that Boston were dinks and took a lesser deal people still blamed Chia for not getting it done.

You can go pitchfork in both cases if you like but evidence shows us you may be on the verge of sticking the wrong guy if you do.

16. ashley says:

I wonder what it would take to get Yakupov from STL. Larsson and a second?

17. kinger_OIL says:

Pouzar:
    Jack Michaels (@EdmontonJack) | Twitter

1 hour ago – View on Twitter

2 hours ago – View on Twitter

Wow!

– Maroon: was fine with McD for a cup of coffee, not great
    – Caggiula: small college player
    – Pool-party: Oil-develpment special
    3rd line is not-NHL level

– Pitlick: fine on 4rth line
    – Letetsu: fine on 4rth line
    – Kassian: don’t trust him untill he plays a year
    4rth line is standard do nothing line.

– Russel is clearly not a top-4 D. Nurse is not even bona-fide D right now. Larsson: don’t know who he is on new team, new role, new conference.

– Hunter: I’m still processing before giving my number…

18. npanciroli says:

Davidson, Fayne 1st for Trouba and all is forgiven!

19. ashley says:

I don’t think the Versteeg thing is that big of a deal. The difference between him and, say, Slep or Pitlick is too small to really get that worked up about. He’s the better option right now, but maybe in December we see things differently….and maybe Chia already does.

I suspect they offered a two way deal, and he wanted one way.

It’s not like they let a gifted RW like Yakupov go for nothing. Now that would be dumb.

20. Pouzar says:

Gryba to start in AHL if he clears as per TMc

21. vinotintazo says:

ashley:
    I don’t think the Versteeg thing is that big of a deal.The difference between him and, say, Slep or Pitlick is too small to really get that worked up about.He’s the better option right now, but maybe in December we see things differently….and maybe Chia already does.

I suspect they offered a two way deal, and he wanted one way.

It’s not like they let a gifted RW like Yakupov go for nothing.Now that would be dumb.

if Pitlick or Slepychev can score 40 points then you’re right, but I doubt it.

22. BONVIE says:

ashley:

I suspect they offered a two way deal, and he wanted one way.

Yeah but it’s all about depth the injuries will come.

23. westcoastjos says:

hunter1909,

Hunter – 79 points. Depressing, but I feel like it is realistic given the lack of depth and the injuries that will surely occur.

24. BONVIE says:

Pouzar:
    Gryba to start in AHL if he clears as per TMc

He will get picked of waivers for that contract.

25. classict says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

But (for me anyways) it’s not about missing out on the Hamilton trade, or the Versteeg signing. It the constant failure to have a backup plan in place. The backup plan for missing out on Hamilton was an overpay for Reinhart. The backup plan for Versteeg looks like play a bunch of rookies.

Trading yak and not making a waiver claim on someone while Versteeg isn’t signed is exactly planning for the best case scenario to work out.

I might be wrong but if the rookies struggle i see either, they continue to play them, which is banking hopes on the rookies playing well. Or they end up overpaying for someone halfway through the season for veteran help.

Who knows, maybe I’ll be pleasantly shocked and they’ll fleece a team for once.

26. npanciroli says:

Pouzar:
    Gryba to start in AHL if he clears as per TMc

Yeah the Oilers are absolutely enamored with Nurse, I’m kind of surprised he hasn’t been gifted 2nd pairing minutes over Sekera.

Klefbom Larsson
    Nurse Russell
    Sekera Davidson
    in the Oilers eyes*

*maybe

27. LostBoy says:

Man. So after the summer they trade Taylor Hall…

…they’re going to ice 5 LD on opening night.

Everything should be fine.

I don’t see what could possibly go wrong.

28. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

classict,

All fair points. We don’t know when they offered Versteeg a contract nor do we know whether or not he screwed them at the 11th hour. That clouds the story on Versteeg and considering the real story is only 5 hours old I say we hold off. Agreed on Reinhart, I disliked the trade when it happened and am really nervous 18 months out.

Folks we should discuss the Ducks. According to General Fanager they have 5 million and change in cap space and need to sign both Rakell and Lindholm. And with Ristonainen getting $5.4/6years earlier today the Ducks are in a serious serious pickle.

A shoe has to drop in Anaheim

29. --hudson-- says:

I agree with this, Versteeg isn’t the issue. The management still appears to have warts. It’s a shame.

Now if a competent RD for the power play or third line centre comes available next week, and we can claim because we have room on the 50 man list, all is forgiven;)

ashley:

I suspect they offered a two way deal, and he wanted one way.

30. Bruce Wayne says:

What is the difference between intellectual humility and the inability to see clearly?

Why is forever suspending judgement, “waiting to see” intellectual humility and not, willful ignorance? How can you tell the difference?

This is how the goalposts are forever being moved, because no matter the situation there is always some piece of it which we do not know, which allows for an indefinite suspension of judgement. Moreover, this suspension of judgment is, by its nature, capricious. It is not applied universally, but only to those who it wants to defend. In this regard it is in practice what it is in theory, unprincipled.

31. krakman says:

LostBoy:
    Man.So in the summer they trade Taylor Hall…

…they’re going to ice 5 LD on opening night.

Everything should be fine.

I don’t see what could possibly go wrong.

Plus 2 raw rookies on the third line…

I just don’t get it, doesn’t anyone in oilers management learn from past mistakes?

32. Pouzar says:

Did he actually say this?

Chia
    -Russel is second in the league in clean entries into the O zone

33. JDï™ says:

Pouzar: Did he actually say this?

I hearded it with mine own ears.

34. McSorley33 says:

The Clevland Browns lost again on the weekend to drop to 0-5.

Sign Russel. Sign Gryba. Trade Yak for pennies. Lose Versteeg.

If you are an Oiler management apologist, you have to concede you are feeling
    Exhausted by this point, no?

Some the efforts put forth have been Baghdad Bob quality…

I know, I know tons of RW depth on the Oilers….I get it Bob.

35. T0ML says:

So does this mean he does Analytics?

Pouzar:
    Did he actually say this?

Chia-Russel is second in the league in clean entries into the O zone

36. Hall of Shame says:

fifthcartel:
    Hall of Shame,

Meant to press edit, but accidentally deleted that instead.

hah. thought for a second you were an inside guy that posted too quickly 😉

37. soup says:

Hunter, thanks for doing this again. I am always too optimistic in October, disappointed by November. I feel like “this is a playoff year” but fear that requires a couple of early season trades. Let’s say 84 points. Enough to be close.

38. verite says:

Chiarelli is an incompetent
    We all know this

Does anyone really believe that this team will get any more than 60 points?

How many games before thieir ffirst win? 10, at least.

39. verite says:

Moderation is censorship.

40. P2theickles1 says:

Hunter
    stephen sheps,

I’ll take 83 Points this year!
    Really hope I am wrong and we see some playoff hockey this year!
    Go Oilers Go!!

41. T0ML says:

Dont think I saw anyone post the confirmation..

This one is $950KElliotte Friedman added,

Calgary Flames @NHLFlames
    The #Flames have signed forward Kris Versteeg to a one-year contract ~ http://cflam.es/2dZckwL
    0 replies 22 retweets 40 likes
    Reply Retweet 22
    Like 40

42. fuzzy muppet says:

It’s almost like Chirarelli looked at his roster when pre-season started and felt like there was”too much fucking balance now”

Need to make room for more LD’s and rookies. It’s the Oiler way.

they are picking a winger at 5th OV next year.

43. Wolfie says:

I’m not too concerned about not signing Versteeg…. Maybe I’m just used to poor decisions and mismanagement… The Oilers could still ice unicorns if they split the top 6 and paired guys up. Granted the dearth of RWs is a problem but not something they can’t overcome.

Don’t forget McDavid is going to be on the ice upwards of 25 mins a game. He and the Nuge will likely see lots of double time. There is flexibility in the roster and they can still limit the minutes given to rookies.

44. DRFNsuperstar says:

T0ML:
    So does this mean he does Analytics?

I took it as confirmation only the public is using shot attempt based possession stats to evaluate individual players’ skill and predict future performance. Also another one of Chia’s subtle F U’s to everybody who thinks they are smarter than an NHL GM BECAUSE CORSI.

45. Aron_S says:

So I saw the Versteeg signs in Calgary news on my Twitter feed during lunch. Things didn’t taste great after that.

The Oilers are a team in the NHL. That’s about all I have to say right now.

46. Hall of Shame says:

Wolfie: Don’t forget McDavid is going to be on the ice upwards of 25 mins a game.

If he plays 13 at centre and 12 on the wing we’re all set. take that, ovi.

47. Centre of attention says:

Iginla? Chiarelli really really wanted to keep him in Boston for what its worth.

48. npanciroli says:

Centre of attention:

49. npanciroli says:

Toronto’s D looks awful IMO.

50. Centre of attention says:

npanciroli: Bozak for Fayne wouldn’t be so bad. They have him top line C on their roster though on Twitter.

Bozak is also not a winger, but I would do that deal.

51. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Centre of attention,

If Stauffer is talking about it there is something in the works.

52. StixMalone says:

What happens if Gryba doesn’t clear? The search is again on for a RD? If Fayne gets traded for a veteran WINGER who comes up Reinhardt? Wow this could get ugly….

53. npanciroli says:

Centre of attention: Bozak is also not a winger, but I would do that deal.

Ahh, missed winger.

54. Bank Shot says:

Centre of attention: Bozak is also not a winger, but I would do that deal.

And that’s probably why it won’t happen.

If they trade Fayne for a winger, it won’t be a deal that leaves a good taste in our mouths.

I’d expect someone with big risk like Hartnell or Kulemin.

55. Centre of attention says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:
    Centre of attention,

If Stauffer is talking about it there is something in the works.

Yeah he mentioned it specifically twice, first he mentions Fayne sitting, then says “maybe there is a move to be made there”

later with spector they are talking about adding a veteran winger.

Iginla was just a guess.

56. Pouzar says:

Centre of attention: Stauffer talking about a Fayne for “veteran winger” deal. We would have to eat Salary.

It’s as good as done then. He’s been predicting these moves days in advance for a while now.

57. Centre of attention says:

Bank Shot: And that’s probably why it won’t happen.

I’d expect someone with big risk like Hartnell or Kulemin.

Who knows, maybe he hits 40 years old and decides to go full Jagr? Doubtful.

It would for sure be a “Chiarelli” move though, and Iggy is a Chiarelli player-type. IIRC, Chiarelli tried moving the moon in order to keep Iginla in Boston.

58. OmJo says:

StixMalone,

Isn’t he on a two-way contract?

59. npanciroli says:

Centre of attention: Iginla would have risk. 39 years old. His contract is almost up though. Scored 22 last year. Could probably be your power play hammer but would need sheltered minutes 5×5.

Who knows, maybe he hits 40 and decides to go full Jagr?

Iggy would actually be a neat addition and show JP how to work that spot on the PP. Definitely sheltered minutes.

60. Full Clapper Top Cheddar says:

hunter1909,Hey Hunter, put me down for 88 points. Thanks for doing this. Also, LT your blog is amazing and has opened my eyes to many different aspects of the game that I never had a clue about. Thanks for all your hard work!

61. npanciroli says:

OmJo:
    StixMalone,

Isn’t he on a two-way contract?

I think two-way is just a salary thing, time in the league or something determines waivers.

62. russ99 says:

StixMalone:

Meh, Chiarelli has not stopped short this summer. If there’s a hole, he’ll fix it.

I agree that we’re a bit shorthanded, with little room for error, though.

Fayne dumped for something useful? I’ll believe it when I see it.

63. Oilspill says:

Fayne in the lineup is almost conceding the game. My bet is he’s waived within 10 games. A team wouldn’t take him if we retained 100%.
    With the contract Gryba is on there’s a good chance he’s pick off.

Pouzar:
    Subscribe to our RSS FeedFollow us on Twitter

HomeContact

64. Hall of Shame says:

OmJo:
    StixMalone,

Isn’t he on a two-way contract?

😉

65. Bank Shot says:

Who knows, maybe he hits 40 years old and decides to go full Jagr? Doubtful.

The move would be universally loved by Oilers fans, and that tells me its not a fair trade. Iginla might be slightly overpaid at this point, but he’s still been a useful player and one year remaining isn’t a big deal if he starts to slide.

Fayne is a two year boat anchor.

What’s in it for Colorado?

If the Oilers make this Fayne for winger deal I’m pretty confident it will be a worse player or one with as many or more years remaining than Fayne.

66. JDï™ says:

Frank the dog: That’s dirty.

Pissed me off when Korpse signed in Dallas too, but at least they got Grossman. Nicklas, you know – Grossman.

67. Centre of attention says:

Bank Shot: The move would be universally loved by Oilers fans, and that tells me its not a fair trade.Iginla might be slightly overpaid at this point, but he’s still been a useful player and one year remaining isn’t a big deal if he starts to slide.

Fayne is a two year boat anchor.

What’s in it for Colorado?

Other teams might find value in Fayne if they can move out a contract in turn.

Iginla is almost 40 and it wouldn’t be an automatic win for the Oilers. It is also just a guess, Stauffer and Spector could easily be talking about someone else like Hossa 😉 haha.

68. OmJo says:

He could easily, very easily be put on 2RW. But the Oilers are hellbent on Draisaitl in that position, at the expense of depth and apparently need.

Sigh…

69. Nate780 says:

McSorley33,

not saying I support all the decisions so far, far from it. But how would anyone be” exhausted” before the season has even started? We’ve been a joke for a decade, and now we finally have someone making changes. i’ll hold my opinion, for now.

70. Bank Shot says:

Centre of attention: We would need to retain money and it would be Colorado trying to shed money as well as add a useful Right-shot D.

Other teams might find value in Fayne if they can move out a contract in turn.

Iginla is almost 40 and it wouldn’t be an automatic win for the Oilers. It is also just a guess, Stauffer and Spector could easily be talking about someone else like Hossa haha.

71. Chachi says:

Other teams might find value in Fayne if they can move out a contract in turn.

Marcel Hossa?

72. Centre of attention says:

Bank Shot: Maybe they can get Filppula if they retain salary on Fayne. I’d still guess a Hartnell, or more likely a Kulemin.

Filppula is a center I thought?

73. fifthcartel says:

I actually liked their forwards a pretty decent amount with Yak and or Versteeg. I thought they’d be fine without Yakupoov but not signing Versteeg is insane.

Not signing him because you want to play a rookie and a C on wing over him is downright full Oilers.

Two rookies in the top 9 and 5/6 of the defense are left handed and then he adds Gryba while having plenty of his kind on the defense already.

74. Aron_S says:

Frank the dog:

Honestly, join someone for a PTO then sign somewhere else? That’s dirty. Fuck Bookje.

I think Versteeg is going to get a rough ride from a couple OIlers tomorrow night.

75. neojanus says:

I’ll join in here, Hunter.

I’ll go with 88 points this year.

Oilers are more competitive within their division and steal at least 4 more Pacific games due to trimming 25 GA this season.

Healthy Connor gets you a lot more GF as well.

The Over/Under though is entirely based on the health of the back-end. If Talbot struggles or if Klef/Larsson get injured then this will be a long long LONG fucking season. I could see the Oilers around 72 points if there are major lineup issues.

Really need that RD to anchor that 2nd pair and PP.

76. Surgeons Knot says:

Where are you all hearing Stauffer talk about these potential moves? I follow him on Twitter, but assume this was on a radio show today?

77. Oil2Oilers says:

Protagonist: 90% certain Lazar is on a conditioning stint and actually isn’t on waivers. They sent him down because he had Mono and missed all of camp.

Thanks for the info

78. Brad says:

Where did stauffer say anything about a vet winger? Haven’t seen anything on Twitter – oilers now?

79. leadfarmer says:

I’m glad we’re going to be developing Gryba and Fraser in the Ahl instead of you know; actual prospects.

80. Bank Shot says:

Centre of attention: Filppula is a center I thought?

He is but every center is a winger. That would be a pipe dream as well by me. haha. Filppula is way too good to get in return for Fayne.

81. Nate780 says:

OmJo,

you were in the room? what else was said?

82. JDï™ says:

OmJo: How do you give Russell (LD) $3.1M but refuse to give Versteeg (RH RW) enough money to sign here?

Simply put, defense is a bigger problem, and they’re harder to acquire.

Save your teeth over Versteeg.

83. Centre of attention says:

Surgeons Knot:

yes, in the last half hour he started talking trade crap.

Stauffer has become one of the most reliable locally-based insiders. When he says stuff, you’d best listen up.

84. OmJo says:

Aron_S,

Look at it from his perspective. He’s behind in the depth chart to a rookie who belongs in the AHL and a LH centre, plus went all TC without a contract.

While in Calgary he’s apparently getting top line minutes. I don’t blame him.

85. OmJo says:

JDï™,

Yes, but we have an overabundance of LHD. In particular, 3LD. The player we didn’t need (Russell) and Gryba now puts us at 49 contracts, correct?

Our RW depth was a much bigger need than LD, even back in July.

86. Nate780 says:

Everyone acting like the Oilers just let Versteeg walk, a whole lot of poopy pants based off ignorant opinions of what happened. it was my understanding that the Oilers offered him a contract (as per Todd McLellan) and Versteeg went to Calgary instead because of their weak RW depth, with more opportunity to play on a skilled line and more minutes

87. HugThePost says:

OmJo:
    Aron_S,

While in Calgary he’s apparently getting top line minutes. I don’t blame him.

I recall an interview he gave early in TC where he mentioned he and his wife were expecting baby #1 and they were happy with the chance to be in Alberta as he (and maybe his wife) is from Lethbridge and wants to be close to home and I presume family there. Perhaps the chance to live that much closer to his family impacted his decision too.

88. Justthestatsman says:

My Hunter1909 Death March prediction is 79 points. Thanks!

89. JDï™ says:

OmJo: es, but we have an overabundance of LHD. In particular, 3LD. The player we didn’t need (Russell) and Gryba now puts us at 49 contracts, correct?

So now you’re gnashing your teeth over Russell. Sure, whatever.

Contracts stand at 48 now. Please tell me how you would have solved the RHD problem.

90. stush18 says:

JDï™:
    Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie now14 seconds ago

Jesus imagine his sphincter with mcdavid boring down on him

91. npanciroli says:

I do think it’s funny that NYI is running a 3rd line of kids and it’s awesome they were great draft picks, Edmonton running a 3rd line of kids and it’s terrible and those Oilers always rushing rookies.

(I would still get a vet RW and run Drai as 3C)

92. Younger Oil says:

Nate780:
    Everyone acting like the Oilers just let Versteeg walk, a whole lot of poopy pants based off ignorant opinions of what happened. it was my understanding that the Oilers offered him a contract “as per Todd McLellan” and Versteeg went to Calgary instead because of their weak RW depth, with more opportunity to play on a skilled line and more minutes

1. They shouldn’t have traded Yakupov if Versteeg wasn’t a lock to be signed.

2. After Yakupov was traded, they should have claimed Parenteau if Versteeg wasn’t a lock to be signed.

3. They played Drai at RW for the last few days of camp, alienating Versteeg and making him feel like he wouldn’t be getting much play time.

4. They have acknowledged that they tried to sign Versteeg, which shows that they don’t feel comfortable with their RW depth, even though they had multiple opportunities to get a player at no cost.

It’s not just Versteeg walking, but Chia having multiple safety nets to easily address the RW depth, and instead deciding to ignore them and plummet to the ground below that is making Oiler fans very, very concerned about the choices that the management are making.

93. HugThePost says:

how many of us are watching the interweb closely right now for a sign, any sign, that the Oilers are going to pull a rabbit out of the proverbial hat and right balance this dang team once and for all!!???

94. Nate780 says:

Younger Oil,

They offered him a contract, couldn’t have been much worse than Calgary (if at all). Let’s assume it’s even value, and you’re playing this year to prove yourself for a future contract.

Would you rather play against Eberle, Draisatl (no surprise they like him as RW) and Puljarjvi

or

Brower, Frolik and Ferland?

Pretty easy decision if you ask me.

The Yak trade, on the other hand, is a F***ing joke.

95. BONE207 says:

stush18: Jesus imagine his sphincter with mcdavid boring down on him

96. npanciroli says:

I would want Fayne to go for someone with a contract no longer than his though. That McDavid extension need to be careful.

97. Nate780 says:

BONE207,

just make sure your doctor doesn’t have sausage fingers

98. BONE207 says:

Nate780:
    BONE207,

just make sure your doctor doesn’t have sausage fingers

Wrong procedure Nate. That’s the Proctologist.

99. leadfarmer says:

OmJo,

Ok I get that Russell isn’t ideal but his strength is exactly what this team needs. The pp and this season would be dead on arrival if we didn’t get someone that could get the pp set up. Did no one watch the pp last year and this preseason, all that offensive talent and they can’t even get setup in the offensive zone.

Any advanced stats on him have to be looked at with suspicion. Guys that block that many shots have terrible advanced stats yet shot blocking is still a skill the league values especially in the playoffs. So what is he? A one year stop gap to fill a spot that was not going to be filled due to cost, see Hall trade for reference, and we can flip him at the deadline for a draft pick which dmen with expiring contracts are the currency at that time.

I was wondering if anyone has time to calculate how much the top 10 shot blockers are a drag on Corsi which I think these guys need a fudge factor to adjust for the Corsi cost of shot blocks.

100. JustWatt says:

npanciroli,

Point well made sir! We Oiler fans often want to have it both ways.

101. Nate780 says:

BONE207,

ahhh yes, my bad.

102. JDï™ says:

Younger Oil: plummet to the ground below

Well they are winless for October…

103. Nate780 says:

leadfarmer,

he only blocks so many shots because he can’t get the puck out of the zone, lol

104. Jethro Tull says:

JDï™: Well they are winless for October…

Ebs hasn’t scored since April. Soft.

105. Ray says:

If Fayne is going for a winger, Matt Read in Philly has an identical deal as his and Philly has even fewer RD than us.

They also have quite a few young forwards trying to break through.

Might be a fit there

106. BONE207 says:

Jack Michaels ‏@EdmontonJack · Oct 8

Looking for K. Russell comparables?

Kris Russell:
    573 games, 38 goals, 177 points, -8.

Andrej Sekera:
    567 games, 37 goals, 189 points, -8.

I’m ok with 2 Sekeras.

107. OmJo says:

JDï™,

My bad, thanks for the correction.

I was against the contract signing the moment it happened for the record. In what way is a 3LD the answer for 2RD? Russell is a sub-par 5v5 LD to begin with, playing him on his offside only makes him worse.

I would have put Fayne back with Sekera, a pairing that is proven to work, and work well, until something else comes along, and sign Gryba for 3RD. Klefbom-Larsson/Sekera-Fayne/Davidson-Gryba. If Fayne starts to suck, I would much rather have Davidson at 2RD than Russell. And call up one of the endless supply of LD we have to fill in for 3LD.

But Chiarelli apparently has no patience whatsoever.

108. Hall of Shame says:

HugThePost:

yeah. just about time to send Eberle out for a right hand D. and commit to Drai and JP as our top 6 RW. 😉

109. npanciroli says:

Ray:

They also have quite a few young forwards trying to break through.

Might be a fit there

YES PLZ

edit: wow his stats way worse than i thought. Still would do it.

110. BONVIE says:

Younger Oil: 1. They shouldn’t have traded Yakupov if Versteeg wasn’t a lock to be signed.

I think that sums it up pretty well. I was never a big fan of keeping Yakupov around because of the distraction, and I don’t think he is an effective NHL player, but if your opinion of Yakupov differs at all and you think he could have been useful, I see why this should infuriate you. If you were in the Yakupov is a useful NHL player camp, this move has to really be a piss off.

My biggest issue starts with your point number three. I mean if they wanted to use Draisatel on the wing they still didn’t need to telegraph that move. I mean if your a right winger and then look at the depth of Eberle than all the rest and a chance to have either Nuge, Draisatel, or McDavid as your centre that is huge motivation to sign, unfortunately they messed that up. There was no benefits for them to do this at all, they already knew Leon could play RW.

111. Drew says:

BONE207:
    Jack Michaels ‏@EdmontonJack· Oct 8

Looking for K. Russell comparables?

Kris Russell:
    573 games, 38 goals, 177 points, -8.

Andrej Sekera:
    567 games, 37 goals, 189 points, -8.

I’m ok with 2 Sekeras.

Question,

do you really believe he is another Sekera? (sorry have not researched you previous comments to see if accurate)

112. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Hall of Shame,

Now this would be something to get mad about haha

113. classict says:

leadfarmer,

We can use Fenwick since it doesn’t count blocked shots, exactly what it was designed for. Unless you mean they cause 2nd or 3rd shots that go unblocked, which to me seems like a bad trait…

114. russ99 says:

BONVIE,

I thought the Draisaitl at RW was telegraphed by McLellan in his presser before camp started…

Also, Versteeg played with Maroon and Caggiula for the most part in preseason.

I don’t see that this was a factor, more likely due to the decision to keep Puljujarvi up.

115. Yegfoundation says:

Oh, those Oilers!

IMO, losing Versteeg is a big deal, and will mean more minutes for rookies, which history shows is challenging when one is trying to win hockey games.

I mean no offence to any Oiler fan when I say, that I’m rooting for the Jets and Flames this season, as I believe good management should be rewarded, and poor management (see the Edmonton Oiler’s) should be punished with respect to league standings.

I will continue to be an Oiler’s enthusiast/observer, but at this time, I can no longer call myself an Oiler’s Fan.

116. BONE207 says:

Drew: Question,

Fancy stats and WOWY numbers might show them as different but then this is the Oilers now. We have high end talent up front to whom all you have to do is angle your shin pads towards them and all the shots that get blocked with ricochet to our Captain Connor who will deposit bushels full of pucks in the other teams net. Easy no??

117. OmJo says:

leadfarmer,

Two things:

1) I would almost prefer to give a shot at Wisniewski if we are that desperate for a PP defence man. He’s right-handed, and could have filled in 3RD for a third of the cost of Russell. Plus he has had the opposite effect on his pairings, he tends to make them better than they are. I get his injury history is a scare but that would be a better gamble IMO. I would have Gryba as 7D in that case.

2) Chiarelli thinks that Russell is a long-term solution. Said himself he’s hoping to get him locked up on a longer term contract.

118. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Yegfoundation,

You do realize Calgary has just as many “kids” penciled in high profile places along its lineup right?

Have Bennett, Tkachuk and Monahan “earned” their spots more than say Drai, Nuge or Pool Party?

119. Nate780 says:

Yegfoundation,

must be nice to just jump ship whenever you feel like it.

120. JDï™ says:

Yegfoundation: I can no longer call myself an Oiler’s Fan.

121. marty62 says:

I don’t know what the stink is about in regards to Versteeg. Edmonton obviously offered him a contract, but the player ultimately has to decide to sign on the dotted line. I think at the beginning of camp Versteeg was looking just to make the team, best case maybe 3rd line minutes. He has a good camp, other teams notice and he gets some offers. In Calgary he probably has better chance to play top 6 minutes as Calgary’s forwards are even more inexperienced than Edmonton. So if I was in his shoes if Edmontons offer and Calgarys were close in dollars, I believe they were, than of course he signs in Calgary. Better chance to play top 6 minutes and get better stats, sign a longer contract….

122. JDï™ says:

OmJo: give a shot at Wisniewski i

He’s still available, if that means anything:

123. flea says:

Yegfoundation:
    Oh, those Oilers!

I will continue to be an Oiler’s enthusiast/observer, but at this time, I can nolonger call myself an Oiler’s Fan.

I dunno, this is a pretty bold statement considering no teams have played a single game yet this season.

I am optimistic about the Oilers, because I feel like for the first time in a long time, the team isn’t getting glowing reviews heading into the season. All the other seasons it was about “this is the year the kids will break through!” and they never did, got hurt and finished poorly.

It’s like the Seinfeld episode “The Opposite” where George does everything opposite of expected. So I’m expecting the worst but something tells me it’s going to be good.

And really, it’s just additional reason to say Fuck the Flames! Our PTO castoff heads straight to their top line, what does that say about their depth. Go Oilers!

124. StixMalone says:

BONE207: I prefer not to think about anyone’s sphincter but my own. Check that…with a pending colonoscopy, I don’t even want to think of my own.

I don’t think one has to worry about Gryba clearing waivers. He was a UFA a few hours ago. If a team really wanted him, they would have signed him, rather than wait till a day before roster cutdown day to claim him.

A right shot centre (like Bozak) would be preferable to a winger in a deal for Fayne. Centres can always play wing.

126. digger50 says:

Bah!

Versteeg no biggie.

It’s like losing a third line winger to injury and we have lots of those wingers. Plus a few gems will pass through the waiver wire soon.

We are also slightly off target. Cagguila looks great but at this point he is the September darling and he is very likely to run out of gas and drop off. It would be really poor planning to have Planned for him to. E third line centre. Hard to believe. And thus I think they have been in pursuit and still are in pursuit of that third line centre. We don’t need a RW, we need a centre and Drake is only holding the fort.

127. BONE207 says:

StixMalone: That lovely tasting 4 litres of “fruit flavour” drink one has to force down is leaving a better taste than what opening night has to offer. Lol I’m still waiting for Trouba to arrive too…..

Well as long the team in Blue doesn’t consume the same liquid, perhaps we can see a glimmer of hope. Let the real games begin already. All the speculation is inspiring the Lowetidians to rummage through their garden sheds and gather on WG’s lawn again. Which direction the crowd rushes will become apparent soon.

128. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

flea,

Now this is more like it! Attacking opposing teams instead of our own team! Yay yay.

But seriously though Go Oilers Go!

If the Ducks stay on the lamb with Lindholm (their blueline without him is young and while promising is full of holes) for an extended period of time, the Kings have scoring issues and the Flames/Coyotes show their experience levels (and I think all of these are very real possibilities) a hot start could do damage.

129. npanciroli says:

It seems to me the Oilers want Fayne off the team or in the AHL and Gryba as the 7th D.

I would almost prefer Gryba as 7th D (or Fayne) with Nurse in AHL.

Klefbom Larsson
    Sekera Russell
    Davidson Fayne
    Gryba

Rotate Russell and Davidson if you want.

130. JDï™ says:

Wishing a happy turkey soup day to one and all – yes, even Cameroon.

131. treevojo says:

Yegfoundation,

Wow!

Lots of overreaction today.

A player on a pto chooses to accept a contract to a rival team instead of the contract offered by the oilers.

Fuck it! That’s it! I am now cheering for rival team and Winnipeg too!

Take that stupid chia.

132. classict says:

digger50,

Well the idea would be that Drai can play 3C if we had a winger, and that a winger would be easier to find than a centre.

But yea if there were a Versteeg/Paranteau ability 3C available that would be good. Hopefully they don’t over pay for one when the RW route could have been free.

133. khildahl says:

JDï™:
    Wishing a happy turkey soup day to one and all – yes, even Cameroon.

But not Chad though, right?

134. wheatnoil says:

This is a fascinating read.

I know I’m quoting too much from it and people should click the link, but I think it’s really worth reading this whole quote from Dreger.

“Edmonton presented an interesting tryout, and essentially he made the team. But, and I think we can appreciate this, what the Oilers couldn’t promise – and this is my understanding, based on those I’ve talked to there – they couldn’t promise him a full-time spot. I think they wanted him to be insurance or a back-up plan and not play every game – maybe every other game.

“Well, maybe what Edmonton didn’t know is that Versteeg had options. One of those options happened to be in Alberta. I think for family reasons he wanted to stay in Alberta. I think he’s going to be a good fit at a reasonable price and a short term for the Calgary Flames.”

Sounds like it’s not a matter of 3rd line minutes. Oilers saw Versteeg as a ‘not every-day’ option, so he went somewhere where they were going to play him regularly.

I disagree with the Oilers wholeheartedly on that evaluation.

135. russ99 says:

npanciroli,

IMO Benning is ahead of both, and he hasn’t been sent down yet.

Assuming Gryba is being sent down otherwise why a 2-way contract and waivers.

136. JustWatt says:

godot10:

A right shot centre (like Bozak) would be preferable to a winger in a deal for Fayne.Centres can always play wing.

I agree entirely. Why did Bob say Chia is looking at a Fayne-for-winger deal? The only winger we have that can play center is Drai and there is no way Fayne is fetching a 2RW to free him up for that 3C spot. I sure hope there turns out to be more to that rumor because otherwise its just more of the same.

We can’t reasonably expect much progress if the 3rd line bleeds out all the goals that the 1st line pots (outscores the opposition’s first line).

137. russ99 says:

wheatnoil,

That’s a pretty damning quote. Chia’s got some splaining to do.

138. Yegfoundation says:

Gents thank you for the responses to my post, and the oppprtunity to clarify my previous statement. My decision to no longer call myself an Oilers fan is not in anyway a result of the Kris Versteeg news, and instead is a result of the entirety of the Oilers Management decisions during the Katz era.

I would not feel satisified to see Daryl Katz hoist the cup based on his current actions, and utter dissrespect for Oiler fans.

I will however, feel good when the Oilers do well, and my many cyber friends on this blog are rewarded for their support of their team.

139. Centre of attention says:

wheatnoil:
    This is a fascinating read.

“Edmonton presented an interesting tryout, and essentially he made the team. But, and I think we can appreciate this, what the Oilers couldn’t promise – and this is my understanding, based on those I’ve talked to there – they couldn’t promise him a full-time spot. I think they wanted him to be insurance ora back-up plan and not play every game – maybe every other game.

I disagree with the Oilers wholeheartedly on that evaluation.

Perhaps the Oilers know something about his injury that others don’t?

I think it was more minutes then missing games. He didn’t see himself getting a pile of points on the third line, or in the pressbox occasionally.

140. russ99 says:

JustWatt,

First and second line is toughs vs. toughs, which is why Drai is on the second, so they can get consistent scoring vs. more difficult opposition.

Third line is soft minutes, and McLellan has run that group all of preseason to dump it in, keep possession and take shots when they get them, so I don’t see that group bleeding out goals. Maroon and Caggiula played a decent 2-way game in preseason too.

On the road it may be different, and vs. teams like the Kings and Ducks on the road, Drai will have to play center.

141. npanciroli says:

russ99:
    npanciroli,

IMO Benning is ahead of both, and he hasn’t been sent down yet.

Assuming Gryba is being sent down otherwise why a 2-way contract and waivers.

Didn’t realize Benning still with the team. Interesting. He has looked good – would be nice to have him play lots of minutes with Nurse in AHL.

142. linkfromhyrule says:

wheatnoil: I disagree with the Oilers wholeheartedly on that evaluation.

Agreed. How can they look at:
    Eberle
    Puljujarvi
    Kassian

and think that Versteeg is not only worse than all 3, but also worse than Draisaitl playing wing, to the point where he should only play every other night. WTF? He would be at minimum 3rd best RW on the team. Even if Puljujarvi plays amazing, why would Kassian play over him?

Then on top of it, they signed Russel (LD) and Gryba (RD), and sent Gryba to the AHL. Why? Now we have Gryba and Fraser eating up minutes in Bakersfield. I hope that Sportlogiq is right about Russel, because I’ve not seen anything to improve what I thought of him prior to the signing. Now Chia is talking long term signing before he’s even played an actual game. What benefit does that provide?

So many questions…

143. OmJo says:

Yegfoundation:

The Oilers are like crack. Congrats on kicking the addiction!

In all seriousness, after the last decade I can’t and won’t blame you. I don’t think Katz deserves success either TBH, but at the same time I think the city deserves it, which you mentioned.

I don’t get why people get furious over others cheering for a different team lol.

144. classict says:

russ99,

So who plays that 2 RW spot on the road vs Kings or Ducks?

145. Nate780 says:

Yegfoundation,

they haven’t even played a game yet

146. Woogie63 says:

Versteeg’ last minutes with the team feel awkward. But if he can play 2RW or 1RW on the Flames or 3RW on the Oilers I have no ill will against Versteeg or PC.

Slepyshev, Pitlick, Kassian are excellent depth and are terrific young options

147. JDï™ says:

khildahl: But not Chad though, right?

As Pierre would say, “THIS GUY GETS IT!”

148. JustWatt says:

russ99,

I like your optimism and want to share it with you. Hope it works out at home. On the road that will leave a rook on the 2nd line and that doesn’t seem like a great position to succeed in for whoever they put there. I still see a big hole that could use filling.

149. Chachi says:

Yegfoundation: Love you guys, but can’t say that I feel that the Oilers derserve our support based on their effort in icing a winning team.

Deserve’s got nothin’ to do with it

150. HugThePost says:

is the NHL deadline for final rosters 5pm MST?

Where is Chia’s buzzer beater deal to restore all hope?

151. JDï™ says:

HugThePost: 5pm EST?

Fixed.

I expect there’s a backlog of transactions sitting on someone’s desk. I fully expected TSN’s twit page to be going flat-out since 3 pm, but nothing.

152. digger50 says:

classict:
    digger50,

Yes, logically if a winger could slot in 2RW then frees up Drai and that is what most fans deduce when they look at the roster. (Logically)

Problem being is MaClelland has Drai slotted into the top 6, and it would take a whole lot of convincing to change his mind

Even as many disagree, if you accept this as fact then it shows where the team feels it needs to add. They tried Anton, they will try Drake, and eventually fill the spot with someone new or have Drai back there.

I am absolutely okay with loading up the top six. My belief is the first ten games Oilers need to treat like the playoffs, these games will be that important to this team. Win and it changes everything.

For rookies, yes I want to see how Puljujarvi does, but if I see him 5 minutes a night for the first ten games whileMaClelland tries to win and set up the season, that’s fine. Plenty of time to look at rookies later.

Start winning and this allows the rookies to get a shot. So load up with proven players and play the first ten games like the playoffs.

153. dangilitis says:

Centre of attention,

Iginla is a leader and a gamer who scored 47 pts last year on a bad team, he’s an Edmonton born player and best of all his presence on the oilers would devastate flames to the core. If fayne was traded and the return was iginla I would be extremely happy.

godot10: Kris Russell gives an alternative and additional option to Fayne.Both are flawed.The Oilers played 14 defensemen last year.Russell is a better option than Fayne to play with a young guy like Nurse or Reinhart when the injuries hit this year.Fayne with anyone but Klefbom or Sekera will be a catastrophic pairing, and I think Klefbom himself struggled with Fayne last year. Russell has more versatility.Russell won’t fall off a cliff if one is forced to play him with Nurse or Reinhart.

Russell can probably also play McLellan’s system better.Both he and Fayne are weak at defending zone entries.But Russell is probably better at quick puck retrieval and passing.Think Pittsburgh using quick puck retrieval and placing a pass to an open spot to cover for a weak defense last year.

And if the Oilers forwards are better at sustaining a cycle, Russell will be better than Fayne in offensive support.

Russell was added for more depth more than anything else.Nurse and Larsson cover Gryba’s skill set.And Russell is a better option when injuries hit for playing with an inexperienced D.

Good post.

155. Jethro Tull says:

Are we forgetting what brought Versteeg to us in the first place?

Injury and an insurance “misunderstanding” after signing a contract in Europe.

This reeks of an agent being a douche. Signed in Europe until he heard there was NHL interest, found a loophole, came to camp, the team even waits for him to recover from injury, then signs to division rival.

This is on Versteeg, not Chia.

Strange, to strange to be coincidence.

156. Oilspill says:

Well maybe in beer league soccer. These guys know that you go where it is best for you. There will be ZERO resentment!

Aron_S: I don’t play in the NHL but I do manage and play on a soccer team and when we had two players leave with no notice to play on a rival team (while we were still finalizing our roster), I can tell you there were some dark feelings. Some teammates were just disappointed, but others were mad as hell.

157. russ99 says:

classict:
    russ99,

So who plays that 2 RW spot on the road vs Kings or Ducks?

Kassian.

McLellan’s MO, 2 skill forwards and 1 big to keep the cycle going.

158. Doug McLachlan says:

Forwards

Out: Hall, Purcell, Yakupov,Korpikoski, Klinkhammer, Gadzic
    In : Lucic, Puljujarvi, Cagulia, Maroon, Kassian

Defense

Out: Schultz, Nikitin
    In: Larsson, Russell

159. JDï™ says:

Aivis Kalniņš
    ‏@A_Kalnins

Team is not happy with Nichuskin’s performance, coach went after him, hearing team is considering releasing him from his contract.

Yikes. At least get a 3rd rounder for him!

160. JDï™ says:

Jethro Tull: Signed in Europe until he heard there was NHL interest, found a loophole, came to camp, the team even waits for him to recover from injury, then signs to division rival.

Although the team reported that he failed a medical.

With two teenage daughters, I would just turn off the internet for both parties until we get to the bottom of this.

161. Pouzar says:

JDï™:

Aivis Kalniņš
    ‏@A_Kalnins

Yikes. At least get a 3rd rounder for him!

We need size on the wings damnnit!

162. HugThePost says:

Pouzar: We need size on the wings damnnit!

People in Edmonton’s MSM need a player to label ‘enigmatic’!!

163. JDï™ says:

Pouzar,

HugThePost,

It’s a win/win!

164. Hall of Shame says:

Nate780:
    Yegfoundation,

they haven’t even played a game yet

Well he did say he can’t root for management and they those guys had all summer and more 😉

Honestly it’s a lot funner to root for the underdogs. The coaches and the players. And their season hasn’t started. The sausage makers? Not so much.

165. commonfan14 says:

Failure to sign Versteeg might not be that big a deal. Neither was the failed Tkachev contract.

Why both failures are important, however, is that they speak to competence.

166. Clay says:

Somewhere around mid-February, when Pulju scores his 20th goal, while Versteeg hits the 40-games-lost-due-to-injury mark, we’ll all look back on today and laugh and laugh.

“Remember how much we thought we needed Versteeg? God, I was so worked up! Boy, Calgary has sure been scrambling trying to replace him. This Pullyourarmy kid is really sumpin, hey? Good times.”

167. Bling says:

When Chia says organizational analytics has Russell as the 2nd best in the NHL in controlled zone entries, we can be certain that there is a problem with data collection, analysis, interpretation AND pro-scouting.

That is a statement that cannot be backed up by numbers or eye.

I am fine with Russell as a 3rd pairing D, but Chia is stretching things a lot.

168. Soup Fascist says:

I have a feeling Fayne may be waived when roster is finalized. Call me crazy.

169. Frank the dog says:

verite:
    Chiarelli is an incompetent
    We all know this

Does anyone really believe that this team will get any more than 60 points?

How many games before thieir ffirst win?10, at least.

I smell a bet here.

170. Bling says:

The Versteeg thing is strange.

If JP struggles, will they give him the Nurse/Lander/Gagner/Cogliano/Paajarvi/Yakupov treatment and let him figure it out in the bigs?

171. Centre of attention says:

Clay:

“Remember how much we thought we needed Versteeg?God, I was so worked up!Boy, Calgary has sure been scrambling trying to replace him.This Pullyourarmy kid is really sumpin, hey?Good times.”

I really, really, hope you’re correct.

172. Bank Shot says:

commonfan14:

Why both failures are important, however, is that they speak to competence.

He was offered a contract by Edmonton and reportedly didn’t sign it.

I’m not sure its really Chiarelli’s fault that Versteeg didn’t sign.

I guess he could have offered the contract sooner. I’m not sure when it was offered.

Apparently Treveling approached Versteeg’s agent after Versteeg had signed a PTO with Edmonton so Versteeg knew Calgary had interest the entire time, and no competition at RW.

Smart move by Versteeg to sign there. Will score more points playing with Gaudreau and Monahan then on the Oilers second or third lines.

173. classict says:

Clay,

Wow where have I heard that before? Can we even count on one hand the number of times we’ve expected this from rookies?

And what if he doesn’t deliver, we use another rookie or keep letting him struggle?

I’ve been an attentive fan during Lowe, Tambellini and MacT as GM.

Chris Versteeg chosing CGY over EDM due to ability to pump his numbers for his next contract is not worth all the weeping and wailing and wearing of sack clothe.

It’s unfortunate, but it not worth the vitrol in this thread.

175. marty62 says:

Woodguy:
    I’ve been an attentive fan during Lowe, Tambellini and MacT as GM.

It’s unfortunate, but it not worth the vitrol in this thread.

This all day long

176. Doug McLachlan says:

Versteeg was brought in for JP (and the dearly departed Yakupov) to outplay.

Yakupov didn’t and while JP didn’t light it up, he held his own on the 200ft part of the game – the more difficult part for a rookie to master.

I would have preferred Versteeg because of the options he provided but they gave an honest assessment of where they saw him fitting in and, surprise, he chose to play top-line minutes in Calgary.

To guarantee Versteeg time on Nuge’s line, let alone McDavid’s, would not have been right. He doesn’t play ahead of Eberle and I understand (though don’t agree with) the idea of stacking the top 6. Versteeg wasn’t going to crack that.

A free-agent took the better deal – that isn’t on Chia, this is on McLellan insisting on putting the big German in the top 6.

177. Nate780 says:

Hall of Shame,

I don’t agree with a lot of what has happened, but at least something has happened, an honest effort to improve. which is more than we can say about the last decade.

I’m not all that happy with the Yakupov trade and the Russel signing. Not as upset as others over the Hall trade. Honestly, i feel like i should be mad, but i’m just happy that there are actually changes being made to this team.

Whether they’re good or not, will take time to see, i’m not going to flip a switch during preseason.

178. classict says:

Woodguy,

Agreed. But maybe it’s not just the Versteeg issue in a bubble that’s making people upset. 🙂 If a guy like Versteeg doesn’t sign off a PTO on a playoff team, probably none of that teams fan’s care. At some point there’s a last straw for people… I’m not there yet myself.

The Oilers haven’t had a “Wow they really fleeced those guys!” move in so long.

However on another note, Versteeg does impact the depth, and they will have to address it at some point this season. There is reason to be concerned about how they will address it.

179. frjohnk says:

Just a few days ago, I said , Watch Yakupov get traded, Versteeg doesnt sign here and EBERLE will get hurt. JP will then be on the 1st line.

so far 2 out of 4 I got right and the season has not started.

180. Centre of attention says:

Woodguy:
    I’ve been an attentive fan during Lowe, Tambellini and MacT as GM.

It’s unfortunate, but it not worth the vitrol in this thread.

Agree though we should be used to this by now with Tambi, Lowe, MacT era’s all proving to be survivable. My apologies for venting in such a way.

181. Bank Shot says:

Doug McLachlan:
    Versteeg was brought in for JP (and the dearly departed Yakupov) to outplay.

Did JP really hold his own?

He looked overmatched all camp to me.

I’m not upset that Chiarelli missed on versteeg in particular. he’s not the hill to die on, but he should have brought in another veteran RW for sure.

That is the missed opportunity. Now JP makes the Oilers by default.

182. Frank the dog says:

linkfromhyrule: Agreed. How can they look at:
    Eberle
    Puljujarvi
    Kassian

So many questions…

Are you an orthopedic surgeon ? The Swiss aren’t stupid and they passed on him after they discovered that he had hip surgery in the past. Every other team passed on him until now. You can bet the Oil got expert opinions on him and decided to sign him on the basis of how much they could realistically expect him to play in a regular season. The Oil offered him what he was worth to them.
    Did you see how a hip injury impacted TFCAF? It’s not funny, and a team can only play as well as the players they can ice, e.g. last season. We can’t afford as many injuries as we had last year, Versteeg would have been good insurance, but he was worth more down south.
    I have no problem with that. But as for Bookjie………
    Edit: On reflection that’s a bit sharp. But I find it tiresome how often people call others stupid when in fact they simply lack the information that was on hand to make decisions.

183. stevezie says:

Trading Yak and ignoring Parenteau and Pulkkinen to make room for Versteeg only to have him sign elsewhere is hilarious.

Chiarelli is a bad GM. If he wants to change that opinion he needs to change the evidence. The benefit of the doubt on future moves is long, long gone.

184. Hall of Shame says:

Nate780:
    Hall of Shame,

Chiarelli certainly isn’t afraid to make changes. Which delights the fans and perhaps the other GM’s who are looking at a trifecta when they set their collective premium for trading with the Oil: losing team premium + small canadian market + gm in a hurry premium.

I’m rooting for the players and coaches and their efforts to build a team that’s more than just a great core of young ones. If the gunslinger short term focused GM actually beats the house, music. But not expecting much from PC in terms of real contributions towards winning Stanley.

185. stevezie says:

Frank the dog,

The Oilers didn’t pass on him though, they offered him a contract and he left them holding the bag to go to a better organization.

If they had passed on him they might have explored some kind of depth. I’m well aware that Yak, Parenteau and Pulkkinen are all flawed players, but the current plan requires two rookies to be good as of game 1 and for no one to get hurt. They could have had JP and Caggiula in the minors as depth for the inevitable injury but they chose not to.

Other than Yak every contract discussed could have been buried in the minors if it didn’t work out. This was some terrible management.

I am 34, but I side with LT on some language issues. I don’t like hearing armchair folks like me calling top level players “garbage” or “bad at hockey”, so I won’t call Chiarelli an idiot. But he sure seems to be a bad GM.

I know I seem angry, but I really can’t stop laughing. Versteeg turning them down hours after the waiver wires close is hilarious.

They could probably easily trade for some of these guys (they’re on waivers, how valued could they be?), but I’ll give them credit for doing that once it’s done. So far they have missed almost every opportunity presented.

186. judgedrude says:

Fayne won’t be traded until the Ference LTIR, right? Because Fayne’s contract will help push up the maximum cap overage.

Anybody have the list yet for cap compliance?

187. Frank the dog says:

Yegfoundation:
    Oh, those Oilers!

Many of us have had to cool off the Oil for awhile. No big deal.

Centre of attention: the fact they didn’t claim someone when they knew Versteeg is not a sure thing IS worth some vitrol. Maybe not as much as some (including myself) have displayed, but you can understand with recent events a large portion of the fan base (including myself) are on edge.

I liked a couple of RHC on waivers, but remember that these players are marginal NHLers and Oiler have lots of those under contract.

189. Oilspill says:

Ok ok. Why if you are an opposing GM would you trade for Fayne?
    1. Poor defensively
    2. Poor Passer
    3. Not Gritty
    4. Weak offensively.
    5 Ridiculous contract.

Gryba was better in all catagories and didn’t get picked up.
    Opposing GM wants to get better. He won’t help. They will play youth from the AHL who’d likely do better.
    I don’t know to this day why he wasn’t bought out For 1.3mil for 4 years.

Ray:

They also have quite a few young forwards trying to break through.

Might be a fit there

190. jm363561 says:

Nate780:
    Yegfoundation,
    =====
    must be nice to just jump ship whenever you feel like it.
    =====

=======
    I love the way this is announced like some royal proclamation. Hear ye, hear ye, let it be known to all men that I am now merely observing the Edmonton Oilers and no longer supporting them.

In which case some might say you were never a fan.

Good morning from Manila by the way. Going back to sleep. Losing Versteeg is no big deal. No plan B; two rookies on line 3; and 5LHD all are. When Trouba arrives all will be forgiven. Hear ye, hear ye, now I really am going back to sleep.

191. jm363561 says:

judgedrude:
    Fayne won’t be traded until the Ference LTIR, right?Because Fayne’s contract will help push up the maximum cap overage.

Anybody have the list yet for cap compliance?

Very good point.

192. stevezie says:

Woodguy,

All of the available options were flawed players (none moreso thank Yak), but they were free and would offer depth.

If one of Caggiula or JP struggles out of the gate, or if anyone in the top nine gets hurt, we are in big trouble.

The specific guys we don’t have isn’t the issue. The overall lack of depth is.

And it could have been addressed so easily.

193. stevezie says:

Oilspill,

Fayne might go for someone else”s Fayne. We could use a penalty killing forward, a lot of those guys are old and overpaid.

stevezie:
    Woodguy,

The specific guys we don’t have isn’t the issue. The overall lack of depth is.

And it could have been addressed so easily.

I’m not sure the marginal difference between all the players involved is enough to get excited about.

I saw Caggulia, Slappy and Pitlick good this TC and saw Khaira good last year (good fancies too).

No question that it’s a downgrade, but I’m unsure how much of a downgrade it is.

Its not Lennart Pettrell, Eager and Hordichuk making the team.

195. Side says:

The overreaction in this thread is amazing. I hope all of you who said you are no longer Oilers fans stick to your word – more seats for me to pick from in Rogers!

Also, it’s madness how people are predicting the Oilers are going to get 60 something or 70 something points. This is the most balanced roster we have had in the last decade with a generational talent in McDavid and you think we’re going to end up last, again?

The only way the Oilers are at the bottom is if their top 2 lines, the top 4 D and Talbot get injured long term and at the same time.

196. spoiler says:

Bruce Wayne:

Why is forever suspending judgement, “waiting to see” intellectual humility and not, willful ignorance?How can you tell the difference?

This is how the goalposts are forever being moved, because no matter the situation there is always some piece of it which we do not know, which allows for an indefinite suspension of judgement.Moreover, this suspension of judgment is, by its nature, capricious.It is not applied universally, but only to those who it wants to defend.In this regard it is in practice what it is in theory, unprincipled.

Film noir.

197. spoiler says:

stevezie,

This remains to be seen. Possibly true, but I’m not convinced it is. If it is an easy address, that shouldn’t change mid-season. Replacement-strength wingers are the most common asset there is… maybe backup goalies depending on the definition of terms.

198. Fog of Warts says:

Yes, as many others have said already, great post LT.

I have a few things I might say in response, once these inhibitory french fries fall out of my nose, as they surely will, for even the best best-behaviour banana sauce b-b-b-breaks eventually.

199. hunter1909 says:

JDï™,

Outstanding question.

Please ask this here:

hunter2909@Safe-mail.net

200. hunter1909 says:

Who knows, maybe he hits 40 years old and decides to go full Jagr? Doubtful.

iginla would be incredible. The Flames would implode for a start.

« Older Comments