TRIAGE

The Edmonton Oilers won their opener on Wednesday night, but did not escape unscathed from the battle. Brandon Davidson, who has a long and growing injury resume, went back on the IR today and it may be some time before we see him again.

Larsson and Davidson (along with Kris Russell, who was hit from behind early) came out with some shrapnel after encountering rookie wrecking ball Matthew Tkachuk. Oilers fans spent much of the day tweeting and posting about the new demon, but the truth is Tkachuk is going about his business in a manner that suggests he will be in the NHL after October.

• Brian Burke: “Kid’s a kind of pain in the ass. We don’t have enough guys who are pains in the ass. And the way I like to play, I like guys who are pains in the ass.” Source

When we discussed Tkachuk as a possible Oiler, plenty of verbal flew (from this blog and its commenters) in regard to his young man’s rugged, edgy play. I don’t like watching Oilers defenders drop like flies, but this is part of his story and the Oilers have to deal with this player while also grabbing two points tomorrow night. If he continues to play on the outer edge, he will develop a reputation and that has its own impact (see Gudas, Radko).

CURRENT ROSTER

current-roster

• Injured: Brandon Davidson, Andrew Ference, Matt Hendricks, Iiro Pakarinen. Also Drake Caggiula is being held in stasis.
  • Darcy McLeod was a guest on the Lowdown this morning, and suggested the best partner for Darnell Nurse on the third pairing (sans Davidson) might be Nurse—Gryba. That is an excellent point.
  • The Oilers need to see if this young college center can help post haste, and if not they need to trade for a better Versteeg. You buggers laughed at my Purcell idea, but that guy can do things.

Goalies are voodoo (and don’t bother typing in the comments that goalies are not voodoo, because you typing that is just more damned voodoo, and I am on to you) so who knows, but Ellis looked good to me. I don’t like the idea of losing a Finn to Norfolk and eventually the call of Finnish sauna’s, but this Joker Man Puljujarvi appears to have that country covered for the Oilers through the next decade or so.

HIGH DANGER CHANCES, AMONG DEFENSEMEN

• Oscar Klefbom 6-1 +5
  • Adam Larsson 4-0 +4
  • Kris Russell 4-0 +4
  • Andrej Sekera 3-1 +2
  • Brandon Davidson 2-3 -1
  • Darnell Nurse 3-5 -2
  • Source

More tomorrow, and a discussion of Eric Gryba versus Mark Fayne versus Matt Benning may be a major them for tomorrow’s post. The man with the most total high danger events is the guy you would like to have quiet games, and that is going to be a problem until it isn’t.

169 Responses to "TRIAGE"

1. jm363561 says:

For the same reason Nurse – Fayne were not predicted to be a good pair, and they were not, Nurse – Gryba are unlikely to be a success. Neither is a good puck mover. I would prefer Oesterle or Bennington. Nurse’s one and only responsibility is to impale Tkachuk on a large cow horn.

2. Centre of attention says:

Klefbom-Larsson
    Sekera-Fayne
    Nurse-Gryba

Make it so.

3. Colieo87 says:

hey hunter you going to post whwt everyone pickings are?

4. meanashell11 says:

Centre of attention:
    Klefbom-Larsson
    Sekera-Fayne
    Nurse-Gryba

Make it so.

Russell?

5. JJS says:

Is Tkachuk the new Avery? A guy that Burke claims to like but in reality is a dirty mofo that has little respect around the league?

These player types don’t last too long before getting their due(s).

6. pocession charge says:

Anyone else watching Buffalo Montreal? Neither team looks very good but Buffalo is another level of stink. Montreal doing their best Oilers impersonation playing Sergachev — he looks way in over his head out there.

pocession charge:
    Anyone else watching Buffalo Montreal?Neither team looks very good but Buffalo is another level of stink.Montreal doing their best Oilers impersonation playing Sergachev — he looks way in over his head out there.

8. khildahl says:

Re: Burke’s comments…

Did Lowe take the barn fight portfolio upstairs, or did it remain a GM responsibility?

9. Centre of attention says:

meanashell11: Russell?

So it would be:

Klefbom-Larsson
    Sekera-Fayne
    Russel-Gryba

Better?

10. treevojo says:

meanashell11: Russell?

I am guessing that lineup is based on oilers first goal against last night.

Russel made a huge gaffe on the play from the bench.

Word is he should have blocked that shot.

Really what else is he good for if he isn’t blocking everything directed at the oil net?

11. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: Thankfully the Bruins game came on (they look awful too) but the Sabres are playing like the 74-75 Washington Capitals.

The Devils-Panthers game is on and I’m pretty excited to see Hall 🙂

12. Gret99zky says:

Dammit!! I have it on good authority the Oilers will stay healthy this year.

Concerning Matthew Tkachuk, I would remind those who are seeking revenge of the words of another Matthew; Matthew 5:39.

“But I tell you not to resist an evildoer. On the contrary, whoever slaps you on the right cheek, turn the other to him as well.”

Strange number 539. Still, like it better than 98.

jm363561:

Actually we don’t have to guess, but have results from last year to go on.

Relative Expected Goals: Nurse with most common partners:

Relative TOI Rel.xGF%
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH ADAM.CLENDENING -4.53
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH ERIC.GRYBA -5
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH ANDREJ.SEKERA -5.81
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH JUSTIN.SCHULTZ -9.01
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH MARK.FAYNE -11

Looks like Gryba is near his best partner and Fayne is his worst.

If corsi is more your thing:

Relative Corsi:
    TOI Rel.CF%
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH ERIC.GRYBA -0.32
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH JUSTIN.SCHULTZ -2.79
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH MARK.FAYNE -4.42
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH ADAM.CLENDENING -5.81
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH ANDREJ.SEKERA -6.23

Yeah, Gryba is his best partner from the current roster.

Gret99zky:
    Dammit!!I have it on good authority the Oilers will stay healthy this year.

Concerning Matthew Tkachuk, I would remind those who are seeking revenge of the words of another Matthew;Matthew 5:39.

Strange number 539.Still, like it better than 98.

15. rickithebear says:

After hearing klefbom’s grandma’s critic of his game last night.

I wonted to know her opinion of ottawa’s d performance.

” Coach should have CHL’ed there asses.
    Make them walk in front of the bus to Ottawa.”

His Grandma does not pull punches.

Matthew 6: Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

17. Gret99zky says:

Woodguy: Psalm 34:16 “The face of the LORD is against evildoers, To cut off the memory of them from the earth.”

Catchy. I like it.

Reminds me of Ezekiel 25:17

18. GMB3 says:

Klefboms grandma’s critic? Did I miss something?

It would be nice to have Giordano/Brodie/Hamilton spread out over 3 pairings like the Flames have opposed to having a third pairing of Darnell Nurse and Eric Gryba. Nurse gives me a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach out there.

19. jonrmcleod says:

Since we’re all quoting Scripture tonight…

Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Romans 12:19-21

20. Younger Oil says:

Hall loses his mark in the O-zone, Panthers capitalize. 1-0.

Edit: Might not have been Hall’s man per se, but he was the closest Devil.

21. Younger Oil says:

Also, how a 4th round pick in 2015 can make the show before the 4th Overall pick in 2012 is pretty impressive.

22. MrEd says:

Eetu fulfills our expansion draft requirement for goalering. I think.

23. meanashell11 says:

Centre of attention: He can bump Nurse then. I don’t know what I was doing when i posted that roster. I guess I’m just used to the Oilers finding ways to stick Nurse in the NHL.

So it would be:

Klefbom-Larsson
    Sekera-Fayne
    Russel-Gryba

Better?

I would put Russell with Sekera and Gryba Fayne

24. rickithebear says:

Ooh! Gods religious desciples!

“DONT TOUCH THAT SWITCH!” David Koresh

25. Bank Shot says:

Am I the only one who thought that Eberle should have looked for McDavid on that empty net goal?

That was a real long shot to take.

26. meanashell11 says:

This is how I want Nurse to respond to MT tomorrow.

jonrmcleod: Since we’re all quoting Scripture tonight…

Romans 12:19-21

That’s why in a hockey context I prefer the Old Testament.

More vengeance and wiping enemies off the earth.

Bank Shot:

That was a real long shot to take.

29. Gret99zky says:

“I just whipped your ass!”

Austin 3:16

30. khildahl says:

Gret99zky,

It was only a matter of time until someone said it.

31. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: McDavid never gave Eberle a look for his hatty last season, just selfishly drilled it into the net for his own hat trick.

IIRC, coaches get pretty upset if you pass on an open net 😛

Quite the shot by Eberle though, could have easily been an icing and own-zone face off.

Centre of attention: IIRC, coaches get pretty upset if you pass on an open net 😛

33. treevojo says:

meanashell11:
    This is how I want Nurse to respond to MT tomorrow.

Nurse says” if Russell can be blamed for goals against while sitting on the bench I sure as shit can put the fear of God into tkachuk from the press box”

34. meanashell11 says:

treevojo: I guess nurse will have to one up Russell to accomplish that with your Fayne gryba third pairing.

I like it! But I prefer a closer encounter!

35. Centre of attention says:

Lowetide: I was joking of course, McDavid made an act of incredibly unselfish play last season.

I like the fact that Eberle scored that ENG. They don’t ask how, they ask how many.

And even 1 empty netter can get a goal scorer’s feet moving a little quicker next game. Goals are oxygen for guys like Eberle.

36. Melman says:

Pretty sure it’ll be the Nurse-Gryba pair to crank up the meanness don’t F with us quotient as Cgy will be looking to run everyone through the glass.

37. kinger_OIL says:

Becasue we be doing scriptures Samuel Jackson’s ultimate “fake”scripture, quoted by Jules:.Pulp Fiction that entertained me I think from start to finish like no movie has as an adult. I encourage anyone who hasn’t seen it to do so:

Ezekiel 25:17
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

38. rickithebear says:

I asked her about Mathews.

She said,
    “typical young forward.”
    “all flash”
    “when you need them to deliver”
    “they fold and you lose”

39. pocession charge says:

Evander Kane just slammed into the boards doing 100mph. He is hurt. Looks like a broken body.

40. Bulging Twine says:

Amazing day for rookies last night in the NHL, Matthews with 4 goals, Puljujarvi with a goal, and Tkachuk injuring two Defensemen with cheap shots.

41. Jethro Tull says:

kinger_OIL,

Inglewood Jack!

42. Oilspill says:

I’m not believing the numbers but Gryba can play in his own zone.

Woodguy:
    Subscribe to our RSS FeedFollow us on Twitter

HomeContact

43. Water Fire says:

Melman:

Lucic ………..
    …………….. Kassian
    Maroon …………………
    guarantee your spot by whooping a fLame (see Nurse 2015-2016)

Swedes (Bomers G’ma doesn’t like wimps!)
    Sekera Gryba
    Nurse Fayne

Anything cheap and a mean Oiler calls them out. If they are going to build a roster like this I expect no less.

44. rickithebear says:

I hear Klefbom’s Grandma did quart sealers of Hembrant all night with Stan Weir, they agreed to let one of the players kick Tkacuk’s ass, then went for breakfast!

45. Oilspill says:

I’d leave Fayne with the clipboard in the presser.

meanashell11: I would put Russell with Sekera and Gryba Fayne

46. treevojo says:

Chia’s defensive line up for tomorrow

Kelfbom larsson
    Sekera Russell
    Gryba Fayne

Chia to mclellan ” hey Todd I have decided to put more focus into the analytics. Apparently there is a 6% drop off if we don’t have balance between lefties and righties. Hope this works for you”

Immediately CARAMEL LEX LUTHER’S head explodes!

47. RexLibris says:

Missed on McDavid.

Missed on Matthews.

Third time’s the charm, right?

Prediction: Buffalo finishes 30th, Edmonton finishes 17th, wins the draft lottery and Tim Murray runs screaming off the draft floor and is next heard from 20 years from now meditating in a Buddhist temple in the Himalayas.

48. RexLibris says:

Jethro Tull:
    kinger_OIL,

Inglewood Jack!

This is a good reference.

49. Jordan says:

rickithebear:

I asked her about Mathews.

She said,
    “typical young forward.”
    “all flash”
    “when you need them to deliver”
    “they fold and you lose”

Well, to be fair, that’s not really surprising. When I talked to her about her favourite player, she said,
    “Only good players are defensemen. Both ends of nice need attention. Bobby Orr was real hockey player. Offense and defense.”
    So then when I asked her about Gretzky and Lemieux…,
    “All offense – very offensive. Orr better.”
    Do you think Klefbom will ever play like Orr?
    “No. He doesn’t eat his Surströmming. Will never be close to Orr. There was man who enjoyed Surströmming.”

50. McSorley33 says:

If you are looking to recapture last years success.

Have Fayne on one pairing and Gryba on another pairing.

However, Calgary is not a very good team

Grossman and Deryk Engellen on the same team you say…..

Hopefully, TMac can figure out the Elite PK man that is Deryk Engelland.

Wow. People need to rewatch Engelland on the PK.

51. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Gret99zky:
    Reminds me of Ezekiel 25:17

As read by Samuel L Jackson

52. McSorley33 says:

Watching Jets and Huricanes……Noah Hanifan has a Bomb from the point.

That kid is the goods.

53. PREDICKTER says:

Davidson injury is not a concussion. If the kid can get a little luck for once, might be anywhere from a week to a month. Rest easy folks. And maybe a prayer for him while we’re so religious tonight. And yes I have a source.

54. Bulging Twine says:

Did you see this angle of the slewfoot?

55. Yak Efron says:

Yak scores for StL, cuts to StL management laughing and smiling like they found $100 on the street.

56. Jonathan Willis says:

Woodguy: Actually we don’t have to guess, but have results from last year to go on.

RelativeExpected Goals: Nurse with most common partners:

RelativeTOIRel.xGF%
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH ADAM.CLENDENING-4.53
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH ERIC.GRYBA-5
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH ANDREJ.SEKERA-5.81
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH JUSTIN.SCHULTZ-9.01
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH MARK.FAYNE-11

Looks like Gryba is near his best partner and Fayne is his worst.

If corsi is more your thing:

Relative Corsi:TOIRel.CF%
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH ERIC.GRYBA-0.32
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH JUSTIN.SCHULTZ-2.79
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH MARK.FAYNE-4.42
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH ADAM.CLENDENING-5.81
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH ANDREJ.SEKERA-6.23

Yeah, Gryba is his best partner from the current roster.

I’m not saying don’t try it, but if I’m remembering correctly I wouldn’t read much into last year’s numbers.

57. kinger_OIL says:

RexLibris: Inglewood Jack

Thanks for the reminder:

– And honestly Pulp Fiction was a movie that really created a whole new genre: what a movie…

58. cabbiesmacker says:

Yak Efron:

And Korpikoski scores for Dallas so we should mourn steaming pile of dog doo #2

59. Yak Efron says:

Just reporting the facts, Ma’am.

60. The Hermit says:

Yak Efron:

When they look closer they will see it’s covered with bees 🙂

Yak Efron: ion. Bobby Orr was real hockey player. Offense and defense.”
    So then when I asked her about Gretzky and Lemieux…,
    “All offense – very offensive. Orr better.”

A nice goal, too. Good for him, hope he scores 30 more this season.

62. Gerta Rauss says:

Yak Efron:

1 down, 14 to go..!!!

63. SkatinginSand says:

Brian Burke: “Kid’s a kind of pain in the ass. We don’t have enough guys who are pains in the ass. And the way I like to play, I like guys who are pains in the ass.” Source

Is this the same Brian Burke who had the big rant a couple of years ago about rats taking over the game? Seems to be just a bit duplicitous, since he now has the next Matt Cooke/Raffi Torres.

I just hope he gets his 40 game suspension before someone gets very seriously injured, but seeing as how the NHL Committee of Unrepentant Thugs isn’t looking at these incidents, I doubt it.

64. Yak Efron says:

The Hermit: When they look closer they will see it’s covered with bees

Oh, it definitely appears that the bees are still there, but StL looks like they would rather use an apiarist to deal with it, instead of a can of Raid.

65. hunter1909 says:

Proverbs 31; 6-7:

“Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts. Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.”

66. Centre of attention says:

I’ve been watching a bit of the California teams last night and tonight, and from what I’ve seen so far, the Pacific might be more manageable for the Canadian teams than we think.

A team in the high 80’s point wise MIGHT sneak in 3rd place. IMO.

I hope it’s the Oilers.

67. Jaxon says:

Lowetide: A nice goal, too. Good for him, hope he scores 30 more this season.

I see Paajarvi was on the ice with him too, and he scored on Dubnyk.

68. LadiesloveSmid says:

How many times did Yak score that goal for EDM? wtf moment for me

69. LadiesloveSmid says:

Centre of attention,

Quick’s long term injury should be huge for LA, no quality backup (like Edmonton, stay healthy Talbot)

Think SJ will be good and one of ANA/LA will falter, I like the flames roster make up over Edmonton’s this year

70. pells says:

I’ve said this many times before and I definitely think last night proves me right. Nurse needs to develop in the minors. He looks like a nervous wreck when the puck is on his stick. He needs to learn puck management and develop confidence in that part of his game or he will never be better then a Gryba type player. I agree with what someone else said ”he gives me a nervous feeling in the pit of stomach”.

71. Yak Efron says:

Pajaarvi from a beautiful feed by Yak.

72. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: A nice goal, too. Good for him, hope he scores 30 more this season.

I’d be happy with 14.

73. Ryan says:

Jonathan Willis: Correct me if I’m wrong here, but I seem to recall when I was going through Nurse’s season that he was never Gryba’s regular partner – i.e. their shifts together were bits and bobs from different games. Again, this is by memory but I think they picked up 90-odd minutes that way.

Gryba was his forth most common d partner at evens.

From hockeyviz, it looks like you’re correct they played bits of several games together. They were paired together for five games though.

hunter1909:
    Proverbs 31; 6-7:

I may have overdone this one.

75. RexLibris says:

hunter1909:
    Proverbs 31; 6-7:

That should be carved into a wooden panel and set above the doorway that is Lowetide’s blog.

76. Centre of attention says:

MPS from Yakupov and its 3-1 Blues.

I seriously hope this becomes a thing.

77. REDRIGGER says:

Too funny tonight as 2 high oiler picks have goals for the blues tonight. Good for them. Yak will get us that second in 2018.

78. Lucinius says:

Yak.. what a bum. Sigh…

Anyways; missed the game last night (had to work and was busy enough I couldn’t keep track of the game), but I saw enough through highlights and the comments here to be worried. Especially about the special teams; there really is no excuse for the Oilers to have a shoddy powerplay, and yet with the exception of Krueger and Nelson our powerplay has been downright horrendous the past number of years.

Not surprised, however. Saw enough from the coaching staff last year to know what to expect when it came to special teams; very, very little.

For the next game I’m merely hoping that McDavid, RNH, Klefbom, Larsson, Sekera and Talbot stay healthy. Lose any of those and we are screwed something terrible; Davidson was bad, but one of those could kill the season in the crib.

79. Younger Oil says:

Matheson had an incredible OT shift, WOW.

80. leadfarmer says:

We going to start crying about Korpse next. You know he scored tonight too. So did Cogliano. It’s actually ex Oilers score goal night

leadfarmer:
    We going to start crying about Korpse next.You know he scored tonight too.So did Cogliano.It’s actually ex Oilers score goal night

I am damned happy for all these fellows.

82. Lucinius says:

leadfarmer,

Except for Hall!

Larsson is so far out-scoring him.

Wonder how long that will last…

Younger Oil:
    Matheson had an incredible OT shift, WOW.

That was amazing. He was way into his shift when he made that play.

84. Younger Oil says:

Yakupov is going to end the season with 14 goals and 60 assists.

85. The Hermit says:

Yak Efron: Oh, it definitely appears that the bees are still there, but StLlooks like they would rather use an apiarist to deal with it, instead of a can of Raid.

I hope Yak does well in St Louis. Thought he would be a superstar with the Oilers.

86. Aron_S says:

With the video evidence of Tkachuk’s slewfoot on Davidson and “flying” elbow on Larsson, has there been any word of extra discipline from the league? Do they penalize slewfoots or does it depend on how the current department of discipline is feeling that day?

87. RexLibris says:

Lowetide: I am damned happy for all these fellows.

Here here.

Last player to leave here that I held any real grudge against was Pronger, and that was a different time and different feeling.

88. RexLibris says:

Aron_S:

I’d be surprised, honestly. The refs may keep an eye on him next few games because he appears to like to hide it in scrums, but unlike the Shaw one tonight I don’t see anything coming of it.

89. rickithebear says:

Centre of attention:
    MPS from Yakupov and its 3-1 Blues.

I seriously hope this becomes a thing.

12-13 w/ MP
    148.4 evtoi
    3.23 gf/60
    2.83 ga/60
    Yak
    1.21 evg/60
    2.43 Evp/60

90. dangilitis says:

On a non depressing Oiler giveaway note, Jagr had 7 SOG tonight, freak of nature!

If McLellan thinks yak was infected, and his assistants are qualified to run the PP again, I think we have cause to question his ability to get the most out of this lineup.

While I appreciate that 5×5 stats predict wins, special teams data must surely need to be included when you get outshot and outscored for over 15% of the game… while up a man…

91. Professor Q says:

Aron_S:

He also tried to hit and get into Nuge’s head at one point.

If he targets Nuge or McDavid next…

92. Yak Efron says:

Yak 1st star, they play the yakety yak song for him as he takes a spin. But he’s no Korpikoski.

93. Centre of attention says:

Yak played under 9 minutes and pulled off a first star performance.

Not bad young man.

94. RexLibris says:

Adam Cracknell scored as well tonight.

I’m waiting for Drake Berehowsky and Donald Dufresne now.

95. --hudson-- says:

Cracknell with 2 points! Ex oilers are tearing it up

96. verite says:

Tonight in St Louis proves that Chiarelli should be fired immediately
    As I have continually said he is an abject incompetent
    Yak is better than any Oiker right winger, and we flashed him for nothing
    An absolute incompetent

97. verite says:

Moderation is censorship

98. jake70 says:

LT “I don’t like watching Oilers defenders drop like flies,… ”

If you place OIlers defenders with Connor McDavid, wonder if it changes opinions.

Two things:

1. I do not understand being upset at ex-Oilers having success.
    2. The only thing McLellan has to worry about is winning. That is why hammering Tkachuk for a previous sin (before winning the game tomorrow) is such a bad idea.

Fin.

100. Oilspill says:

What does your eyetest say?

101. Bulging Twine says:

Centre of attention:
    Yak played under 9 minutes and pulled off a first star performance.

Not bad young man.

was that a home game? are they giving him the love? fawning over him, making him feel like he’s deeply appreciated and wanted. Building up his confidence.

102. Blackwolf says:

verite:
    Tonight in St Louis proves that Chiarelli should be fired immediately
    As I have continually said he is an abject incompetent
    Yak is better than any Oiker right winger, and we flashed him for nothing
    An absolute incompetent

Do you normally charge for flashing?

103. leadfarmer says:

Lowetide: I am damned happy for all these fellows.

Exactly. It’s been hard being a fan, I can’t imagine what it’s been like for all these guys. This organization has failed a lot of people

104. Yak Efron says:

Bulging Twine: was that a home game?are they giving him the love?fawning over him, making him feel like he’s deeply appreciated and wanted.Building up his confidence.

Home.

The fans and broadcasters? Yes.

Judging by his minutes and deployment, management and coaching are slow playing him while they deal with the bees.

105. jm363561 says:

RelativeExpected Goals: Nurse with most common partners:

RelativeTOIRel.xGF%
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH ADAM.CLENDENING-4.53
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH ERIC.GRYBA-5
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH ANDREJ.SEKERA-5.81
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH JUSTIN.SCHULTZ-9.01
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH MARK.FAYNE-11

Looks like Gryba is near his best partner and Fayne is his worst.

If corsi is more your thing:

Relative Corsi:TOIRel.CF%
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH ERIC.GRYBA-0.32
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH JUSTIN.SCHULTZ-2.79
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH MARK.FAYNE-4.42
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH ADAM.CLENDENING-5.81
    DARNELL.NURSE WITH ANDREJ.SEKERA-6.23

Yeah, Gryba is his best partner from the current roster.

106. Chachi says:

verite:
    Tonight in St Louis proves that Chiarelli should be fired immediately
    As I have continually said he is an abject incompetent
    Yak is better than any Oiker right winger, and we flashed him for nothing
    An absolute incompetent

107. HT Joe says:

Bulging Twine:
    Did you see this angle of the slewfoot?

It’s fine and dandy for people to claim that the Oilers shouldn’t retaliate, but does the opinion change if Tkachuk hurts McDavid with the same play? Because it shouldn’t! If the zebras do nothing, and the league does nothing, the Oilers should give Tkachuk swift troglodyte fury if he tries to injure another Oiler, regardless of the Oiler involved. Plain and simple.

108. Johnny skid says:

Chachi: Yak’s goal was an absolute stinker by Dubnyk. Good for Yak, but yeesh, that was an awful goal.

maybe next game he can put a legit goal in for you.

109. Bulging Twine says:

I feel like Edmonton sports media people are dropping the ball today. Rivalries are a beautiful thing in sports, they are what take sports to the next level for a fan. We all want the battle of Alberta to be a great rivalry again. I hear media people saying that the Battle of Alberta hasn’t had much fire to it lately. Well you have a huge part to play in making the rivalry a rivalry. In heating it up amongst the fan base. We have here before us an excellent opportunity to stoke the fires of rivalry. To really get some heat going. In browsing twitter and blogs today I see a fanbase totally riled up about Tkachuk taking runs at our beloved Oilers. Slewfoots, cheap shots, and hits from behind. The passion is there but what do we hear and read from the Edmonton Sports media? A, “Calm down” type response.
    Do you remember when Rod Phillips had us feeling that every hit against an Oiler was a dirty play by a sneaky dirty player? Every penalty was outrageous and unjust. Rod Phillips helped stoke the fires of rivalry amongst us. He became the voice of us all. He expressed our outrage and passion. He got the heartbeat of the fan and expressed it for us all. We need another Rod Phillips to help the Battle of Alberta become a great sports rivalry in our time. We want a rivalry. The time is now. Media you play a huge part in fanning the passions of the fans into a firey blaze. I don’t know why you are trying to calm it down or missing this great story. Isn’t a big part of your role to catch a story, catch the buzz and jump on it. There is huge buzz. Jump on it. Fridays game should be must watch TV, must comment on blogs, must call in to radio shows. Amp it up. Please. Fire up the fanbase. You have the power and avenues to do so. Then the players breathe in the atmosphere in the stands of a frustrated, intense, passionate crowd and they are swept up in it. They play more passionately. And it all feeds the beast, the rivalry. Who will be the new voice of the fan. Who will step up. Capture our feelings and ride it, stir us up don’t throw water on us. We will cry at your retirement. We will love you forever.
    signed
    A fan

110. Yak Efron says:

Yep, but his assist on the game winner was top notch.

111. Richard S.S. says:

Those that control the Oilers App on iPhones have killed it. You must install the NHL App or you’ve got nothing. I made my choice a long tome ago when I installed the Oilers’ App and not the NHL’s App. I’m an Oilers Fan not an NHL Fan so that’s very annoying.

112. Chachi says:

Johnny skid: maybe next game he can put a legit goal in for you.

113. Chachi says:

Yak Efron: Yep, but his assist on the game winner was top notch.

It was a great pass.

114. Bulging Twine says:

btw Lowetide, I deeply appreciate and respect you
    thanks for what you do for me an Oilers fan

115. kooler says:

So how many ex-oilers scored tonight?

116. OmJo says:

Bulging Twine:
    I feel like Edmonton sports media people are dropping the ball today.Rivalries are a beautiful thing in sports, they are what take sports to the next level for a fan.We all want the battle of Alberta to be a great rivalry again.I hear media people saying that the Battle of Alberta hasn’t had much fire to it lately.Well you have a huge part to play in making the rivalry a rivalry.In heating it up amongst the fan base.We have here before us an excellent opportunity to stoke the fires of rivalry.To really get some heat going.In browsing twitter and blogs today I see a fanbase totally riled up about Tkachuk taking runs at our beloved Oilers.Slewfoots, cheap shots, and hits from behind.The passion is there but what do we hear and read from the Edmonton Sports media?A, “Calm down” type response.
    Do you remember when Rod Phillips had us feeling that every hit against an Oiler was a dirty play by a sneaky dirty player?Every penalty was outrageous and unjust.Rod Phillips helped stoke the fires of rivalry amongst us.He became the voice of us all.He expressed our outrage and passion.He got the heartbeat of the fan and expressed it for us all.We need another Rod Phillips to help the Battle of Alberta become a great sports rivalry in our time.We want a rivalry.The time is now.Media you play a huge part in fanning the passions of the fans into a firey blaze.I don’t know why you are trying to calm it down or missing this great story.Isn’t a big part of your role to catch a story, catch the buzz and jump on it.There is huge buzz.Jump on it.Fridays game should be must watch TV, must comment on blogs, must call in to radio shows.Amp it up.Please.Fire up the fanbase.You have the power and avenues to do so.Then the players breathe in the atmosphere in the stands of a frustrated, intense, passionate crowd and they are swept up in it.They play more passionately.And it all feeds the beast, the rivalry.Who will be the new voice of the fan.Who will step up.Capture our feelings and ride it, stir us up don’t throw water on us.We will cry at your retirement.We will love you forever.
    signed
    A fan

117. Centre of attention says:

kooler:
    So how many ex-oilers scored tonight?

pretty much all of them, except Hall. Technically Duby had an assist on Yak’s goal if you want to look at it that way 😉

118. Johnny skid says:

Chachi: Did you watch the video of the goal? Is my observation valid? If Talbot let that in would you be happy with it?

119. OmJo says:

Chachi,

It was a similar type of goal to JPs goal in preseason and yesterday (Elliott should of had that) and those two goals are the arguments for having him in the lineup.

It was good enough to get the Blues their second win, and get him first star in his first game in St. Louis.

I don’t think you had any issue counting Eberles ENG yesterday as his 1 of his predicted 30? Maybe it should only be 0.5, idk lol

120. Bulging Twine says:

OmJo: That kind of passion is long gone from hockey, replaced instead by a passion for money, money, and… Money. That goes for reporters, too.

All it takes is one.
    Others will follow.
    And there is huge money to be made as the passions of rivalry engage previously disinterested people (and wallets).

121. OmJo says:

The problem with one of Lucic, Kassian, or Gryba going after Tkachuk is… The kid is only 18 years old. They’re all on their late 20s. If anybody is going to go after him, it has to be Nurse.

Yes, he’s an 18-year old brat, but it just seems… weird, for lack of a better word, for people to cheer on a 28 year old behemoth like Lucic beating on an 18 year old. And if their response for that is Engelland running McDavid into the boards, no amount of fights will fix that.

I’m with LT here, revenge can’t come at the expense of a win. The last thing they need to do is let Tkachuk get into their heads, that’s just a victory for him. Let Nurse take some shots at him and don’t give them an excuse to go after McDavid.

122. Chachi says:

Johnny skid: slap shot with a player putting his stick in the way which deflects it happens a lot.

So you didn’t watch it and you are just being a dick. Cool.

123. OmJo says:

Bulging Twine,

I hope you’re right, but I just can’t see it happening with the way society is today. I feel like he or she would be isolated pretty quickly for taking a stance like that.

The NHL wants to get rid of fights and I think many analysts and reporters are on board with promoting that, instead.

Just my two cents, all speculation on my part.

124. Chachi says:

OmJo:
    Chachi,

I have a bet with Pouzar that Eberle won’t score 30. I like your empty net goals only only count for half a goal rule. Also, I hope Eberle scores 40 empty net goals since that will mean lots of wins for the Oilers.

125. OmJo says:

Chachi,

Nail Yakupov’s first goal with the St. Louis Blues (with alternate angle) https://t.co/UswpT6iHN7

Does it not look like it deflected off of the defenders stick?

126. OmJo says:

Chachi,

I think you missed my point, but whatever lol

Good luck with your bet (I do mean that sincerely… I think 🙄)

(I do, you might need it)

127. Younger Oil says:

13 games played and 11 of them have at least 5 goals scored, 6 of which had at least 8 goals scored.

Offence is easier than defence early in the season, but so far the NHL is getting their wish for more goals in spades.

128. Pescador says:

hunter1909:
    Proverbs 31; 6-7:

Sniff,
    Beautiful just beautiful.
    ” And yay he gave strong drink unto himself, & everything was glorious again”
    Fisherman 10:16

129. JJS says:

OmJo,

OmJo:

I’m not advocating for someone going out of his way to pummel Tkachuk but if he wants to play that type of game, he knows exactly what the outcome will be. He decided in junior hockey that he would fashion his game on the edges of the rules and he is already making a name for himself through pre-season and one game. If he goes out of his way to injure, it is vastly different than laying a good hit. He is assaulting players with dirty, blindside, disrespectful plays. This is punishable by repeated beatings by every tough 28 year old in the league as he is already on the verge of ruining careers. It has to stop. Kassian is 25 by the way – is that young enough? 🙂

130. russ99 says:

We put a lot of time and energy into following.Oilers players and prospects so I’m very happy to see these guys do well on another team, obviously not against the Oilers,

I don’t get why we have to turn on former players. There’s precedent and it’s quite ugly.

Maybe with the new arena and the positivity of the McDavid era taking off we can dispense with all that.

131. JDï™ says:

verite:
    Moderation is censorship

The words that you type into your computer at us make me sad.

132. Chachi says:

OmJo:
    Chachi,

Does it not look like it deflected off of the defenders stick?

Nope. Looks like it went straight at Dubnyk’s glove, hit it and bounced in. As I said though, good for Yak.

133. Chachi says:

OmJo:
    Chachi,

I think you missed my point, but whatever lol

Good luck with your bet (I do mean that sincerely… I think )

(I do, you might need it)

You had a point? Yes, I missed it.

134. dangilitis says:

rickithebear:

I asked her about Mathews.

She said,
    “typical young forward.”
    “all flash”
    “when you need them to deliver”
    “they fold and you lose”

Based on her astute observations, she’s already more qualified than half of the sportsnet crew, I’m sure they could hire her. Although it might be embarrassing when she outworks them all…

135. theDjdj says:

Nurse will stand up Tkachuk. I’m not advocating it. Or suggesting it’s required. But he’s the type of player that takes personally a dirty play that injured his partner. Like an 80s buddy cop drama.

136. theDjdj says:

You know what I don’t think we’ve talked enough about? The fact that the lions share of goals last night came from depth players. Forever and day we’ve seemed to strugggle with bottom 6 offense. Good to see an up arrow on that trend.

Spread scoring is one of the key pieces of strong play off teams.

137. dangilitis says:

HT Joe: On a few occasions, it looked like Oilers players tried to drag Tkachuk off of Davidson, only to have a linesman or ref prevent it.. what is wrong with the zebras… why aren’t THEY pulling Tkachuk off of the player he injured??!

It’s fine and dandy for people to claim that the Oilers shouldn’t retaliate, but does the opinion change if Tkachuk hurts McDavid with the same play?Because it shouldn’t!If the zebras do nothing, and the league does nothing, the Oilers should give Tkachuk swift troglodyte fury if he tries to injure another Oiler, regardless of the Oiler involved. Plain and simple.

The problem, unfortunately, is that beating on tkachuk for injuring a top 4 D is not going to stop these issues from happening. Sorry, LT but Gudas is a terrible example of how someone with a history gets 6 games while people call that “heavy handed” punishment. That’s laughable. Tkachuk was just publicly encouraged to play on the line by his Neanderthal dipshit of a boss. Its his ticket to going from AHL to NHL dollars as an 18 year old regardless of offensive production. He would think twice about dirty play if he knew that first time offenses carried a 10 game minimum, which would certainly derail a rookie season. Most teams clearly can’t police themselves and the league sure as shit can’t.

So is the solution targeting tkachuk? Not off the hop tomorrow. To me, it’s targeting hamilton, Brodie and giordano, with borderline hits any chance they can get. That’s not retribution, it’s fighting fire with fire, until the league brings out the fire hose rather than the sprinklers. Think Andy Sutton inspired play.

138. Stelio Kontos says:

Why not have a SmackIntyre? I’m fine having one of those guys if they beat the living piss out of someone who isn’t the other teams fighter. Knocking out Ratis Ivannans doesn’t do much, but if you took a 10 game suspension for putting Tkachuk in a coma, that’s probably worth it. Sign GSP, he’s a ufa.

139. LMHF#1 says:

I see the St Louis Blues know how to stay on-side.

That will work out well for #64.

140. Bling says:

Always great to see Yak succeed!

Absolute howitzer of a slapper. That pass to Paajarvi was also sweet.

If he continues to play with Berglund he will thrive.

141. Frank the dog says:

kinger_OIL:
    Becasue we be doing scriptures Samuel Jackson’s ultimate “fake”scripture, quoted by Jules:.Pulp Fiction that entertained me I think from start to finish like no movie has as an adult.I encourage anyone who hasn’t seen it to do so:

Ezekiel 25:17

For those who may be interested in the actual Ezekiel 25:16-17, here’s what that said:
    Behold I will stretch out my hand against the Flames, even cut off the Tkachuks and destroy the remnant of the Saddledome, I will execute great vengeance on them with wrathful rebukes, and they will know when I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon them” (Modified for relevance)

Of course the Real One could care less about the score but may have some thoughts about intentional dirty play on every side.
    Tkachuk injures himself skating down the ice. Oil win 25-0 Bookje it.

142. Pescador says:

Stelio Kontos:

Does it have to be a coma?
    How about if he just gets some teeth knocked out?
    That would satisfy my bloodlust.
    Love GSP

143. Frank the dog says:

Aron_S:

I think the “upper body” (shoulder) injury came when he went down on his left arm and was still on his left arm when Tkachuk jumped in him. Intent to injure for sure.

144. Frank the dog says:

Pescador: Does it have to be a coma?
    How about if he just gets some teeth knocked out?
    That would satisfy my bloodlust.
    Love GSP

A whip for the horse, a bridle for the donkey, and a rod for the back of a fool.
    Proverbs 26:3

145. GMB3 says:

Yak looked like an offensively gifted winger last night. Good thing we have so much depth on RW

146. OF17 says:

OmJo:
    Chachi,

Difference being Puljujarvi’s goals came off a deceptively quick release and strong shot. Goalies don’t expect that good of a shot to come from that position and angle, which makes it look like a bad goal. Puljujarvi is a sneaky bugger. Goalies are going to learn to be on their toes when he has the puck, because so far in his NHL career, he’s shown a unique shot choice and deadly release.

147. 719 says:

Yak also was not checking his man tight on Minnesota’s last goal, allowing him freedom to wheel around in the offensive zone until he found the perfect pass…

148. OF17 says:

I have nothing against Yak as a person, but it is a bit irksome that something as simple as taking a slap shot on the rush was too much for him to figure out here. I’ve typed this message out a few times and deleted it because I didn’t want to sound spiteful, but man, it makes you wonder just what he was trying to accomplish here.

Saw some video on Matt Read with the rumblings about Fayne that have been going on here. I think he could be a good fit. Good speed, pretty good skill, solid defensive awareness. He’s a small bugger, which goes against what Chiarelli is trying to build here, but a lot of his goals come from the hash marks in. Could be a good option to play on the Nuge line this year and then swap with Puljujarvi next year. Maroon-Draisaitl-Read could be a pretty great outscoring 3rd line.

russ99:
    We put a lot of time and energy into following.Oilers players and prospects soI’m very happy to see these guys do well on another team, obviously not against the Oilers,

I agree with this sentiment

90 min is a lot of time to get in small chunks.

I’ll try to have a look today, but I’d expect at least 4 games together.

152. Hilmar says:

The Yak hate is real it seems.

I thought it was universally known that everything about playing hockey is a lot easier with confidence.

We have been saying for a long time that Yak might need a change of scenery, looks like that assessment might be correct. He was not getting it done here, better for both him and the team to part ways.

Hope for 15 goals instead of second guessing the player.

jm363561: Or his least bad. Oesterle or Benning would be my preference, but all will be forgiven if one of them impales Tkachuk. I prefer cheek turning brought about by a whack to the jaw.

I agree with the least bad sentiment.

I think the jury is still out on whether he’s an Actual NHL Dman yet.

Ryan: Hm, they played a total of 95 minutes together last season. That’s a pretty small sample.

Gryba was his forth most common d partner at evens.

From hockeyviz, it looks like you’re correct they played bits of several games together.They were paired together for five games though.

Michah’s vises usually give me a headache, but that one is very useful and I had no idea it existed.

Thanks for that

Oilspill:
    I’m not believing the numbers but Gryba can play in his own zone.

The data isn’t an obscure thing that requires faith.

Its just counting things that happen on the ice.

Data just is.

You do, however, have to trust those interpreting the data.

In this case I posited:

Less expected goals against is better than more

Less shot attempts against is better than more.

Not leap of faith type of interpretation.

156. stevezie says:

russ99,

I feel the same way about exes. If someone I once closely associated with goes on to do really great things, that reflects really well on me. It’s only if she turns hobo that I look stupid.

Wishing ill on people just because you’ve parted is a classic sign of lacking confidence and security. If they go on to do well, does that mean we made a mistake to let them go? Or were they better than us all along…

verite:
    Moderation is censorship

Ignorance is strength

Oilspill:
    What does your eyetest say?

No one can remember what Gryba and Nurse looked like together last year.

If you’d like to go back and re-watch those games, please do so and report back.

159. Jethro Tull says:

Two things:

1. I do not understand being upset at ex-Oilers having success.

Fin.

I think Tkachuk needs to be hammered for what he’s going to do, not what he’s done. For the last five years, we’ve taken the high road and let our skilled kids get run by no name goons. For heaven’s sake, it was one of the first things Lucic mentioned when he signed, LT!

It’s deplorable the way Burke is encouraging him. If this isn’t dealt with, Tkachuk, like any bully, will take it as precedent that he can do this with impunity.

I don’t advocate doing what Kassian did to Gagner, but line him up for some big legal checks, then if he wants to make something of it, oblige him.

LT, ask yourself: WWSWD?

*What would Stan Weir Do?

160. Frank the dog says:

OF17:

I don’t think Chia or TMac carry any blame for Yak, nor, in fact, does Todd Nelson or Ralph Krueger. I believe there are very few people who would survive Eakins discriminatory treatment without extreme damage to their attitude and self confidence. The damage was too severe for TMac to fix in the time he had available, Yak already had the mark of Cain on him. The damage I am speaking to was done primarily by Dallas Eakins. Elkins wears this and many other aspects of those darkest days. But we cannot let the other players in the room at that time off Scott free, because unlike Eakins actions, the hard evidence os not available to me.
    But it’s like the smell of poop. You know it’s somewhere but have to find it and remove it to make the smell go away. Let’s just say that Eakins would not have behaved as he did, if Yak was popular in the locker room.
    To me, Yak’s biggest justification will be if he outscores Hall this year.

161. Johnny skid says:

Frank the dog: I don’t think Chia or TMac carry any blame for Yak,

i’m not sure how you came to that conclusion. if they would have taken the same approach as st. louis is would that not work here.

162. Big Dan says:

Professor Q: He also tried to hit and get into Nuge’s head at one point.

If he targets Nuge or McDavid next…

This is a test of the new oiler “identity”. In the 80s, they had a pack mentality. You don’t mess with our stars. It can’t just be Lucic or nurse. This idiot injured 2 of our guys. We are going to send a message physically (maroon, kassian, gryba, many others). There will be added thump in every hit, preferably with that punk on his ass. Tkachuk will drop his gloves – or someone will jump in for him. Regardless, if the oilers let this slide, it’s another season on the IR and teams laughing at us. I care more about this than a win tonight. Thank you tkachuk for bringing back my hatred for the flames. I was starting to like them. Fuck you burke too.

163. russ99 says:

Big Dan: This is a test of the new oiler “identity”.In the 80s, they had a pack mentality.You don’t mess with our stars.It can’t just be Lucic or nurse.This idiot injured 2 of our guys.We are going to send a message physically (maroon, kassian, gryba, many others).There will be added thump in every hit, preferably with that punk on his ass. Tkachuk will drop his gloves – or someone will jump in for him.Regardless, if the oilers let this slide, it’s another season on the IR and teams laughing at us.I care more about this than a win tonight.Thank you tkachuk for bringing back my hatred for the flames.I was starting to like them.Fuck you burke too.

I can’t believe that he’s not getting a hearing for either dirty play.

Oilers need to dispense some justice tonight, we need to lay down the gauntlet that we’re not going to be pushovers this year.

164. Drew says:

Woodguy: No one can remember what Gryba and Nurse looked like together last year.

they looked great man great, (insert trump wave here)

165. theres oil in virginia says:

Woodguy: Ignorance is strength

166. Water Fire says:

Woodguy: Given the lack of response from Nurse to Tkachuk when he was on the ice I’m not sure his response from the PB would be all that different.

To me the reason Nurse is on the team is his fighting, it certainly can’t be the hockey. Kassian is not there to pop 30. Lucic didn’t get that contract for his offense. Gryba, Maroon, etc..

Lucic is the best player of them, so he should have the right to pick his spots, but if anyone makes a questionable play he has to stand up, if no one else will. He also needs to be talking to the team about taking things lying down.

Even sociopaths like Tkachuk get tired of everyone coming at them at some point and their hands and faces get sore. Or the team or league asks them to tone it down.

That being said, those other less puck capable guys need to make sure if they are on the ice they step in and make a serious attempt at getting at the player. If the guy declines to fight then the team should take a page out of Messier’s book and file that number for later.

That actually works pretty good after it’s served up, it’s probably worse knowing it’s coming than anything once players know that’s what is going to happen.

If they don’t do that I want more skilled players. Big doesn’t mean anything if you don’t use it other than probably slower, and I like fast players and up tempo hockey.

167. Drew says:

theres oil in virginia: You see, it’s like, you look all ’round and you see all this stuff…and everybody’s got stuff but me…where’s mine…where’s my stuff…

In response to WG it does not matter what is- only what is believed.

Yak Efron: Home.

The fans and broadcasters? Yes.

Judging by his minutes and deployment,management and coaching are slow playing him while they deal with the bees.

Do you think that Hitch had a conversation or two with Krueger about Yakupov and how to utilize him? He is starting pretty much exactly where Krueger started with Yak. i.e. limited minutes in favourable situations.

McLellan is a round peg only coach, which means a lot of pegs get discarded, because McLellan only knows round holes.

169. OmJo says:

OF17:

It took Eberle six years to hire a shooting coach to learn how to one-time a puck.

Plus, IIRC one of Yaks goals with McDavid last season was a slap shot. I think it was against the Canucks. He has scored like that before, not sure why he said that lol..