AND WE ARE BACK

The Edmonton Oilers were going to lose sooner or later, but the Buffalo Sabres were not the team most of us thought would represent the stumble. You will read a lot about ‘it is how they react to this loss’ and there is some truth to that, but in reality the Oilers looked off all night against the Sabres—and if they bring that kind of dull work ethic, then Carolina will set them on their ass, too. Last night, in my opinion, had nothing to do with talent and a lot to do with execution—something Todd McLellan may have been in favor of around midnight. Edmonton faced early push back from Buffalo, went down 0-2, and surged back to tie. When Cam Talbot let in a goal from Laredo (the JC Tremblay play!), the Oilers folded like a cheap suit. Do that 75 more times and Nolan Patrick will be putting on an orange and blue in June.

RICHARD HELL, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2015: 0-3-0, goal differential -6
  • Oilers in October 2016: 2-1-0, goal differential +1
 Well damn, it was a nice start. It was a difficult game to endure for all kinds of reasons—the goalie was not good, the defense was poor in important moments, the forwards did not cash their chances—but it is one game and these things happen. The great baseball manager Casey Stengel said there are 50 games you win no matter what and 50 games you lose no matter what—and what you do in those other 62 that determines who wins the pennant.Taking baseball’s GP totals and applying them to hockey that would be 25-25 in the 50 games (no matter what), and then performances in the final 32 games making all the difference. I think the Oilers had one of their 25 L’s last night. What can we learn from it?

DEFENSE, LAST NIGHT

defense-last-night
  • This was a tough game to view and then break down, because there were lots of chances and the Oilers won the possession battle 5×5 by a handsome margin.
  • It’s possible to have good numbers and get noticed for negative things—single moments and events can have super importance while being exactly single moments and events. Such was the case last night.
  • Andrej Sekera and Kris Russell were solid again, with and without each other. You want to see this for 20 games, and I believe in the power and the glory of lefty-righty, but hot damn this looks good. Maybe it is Sekera being just that good, but in fairness to Russell he looks good from here.
  • Klefbom had an off game with the puck on his stick in my opinion, but he is in a prominent spot while also lacking a ton of NHL experience. His Corsi for 5×5 percentage is now the worst among regular D on the team (43 percent—Larsson is at 50 percent), but we would do well to remember that he missed a lot of time last season. I still believe in Oscar.
  • Darnell Nurse and Eric Gryba had tough moments, mostly with the puck. For me young Nurse did do a few good things too, and I am a encouraged by him this season. A hat tip and thank you for standing between an apparently angered Josh Gorges and Connor McDavid late in the game (after 97 and McDavid scampered up the middle for 12 yards and an ass-over-tea-kettle goalie).
  • Cam Talbot was not good. I remain convinced he is a suitable No. 1 goalie—not brilliant, but suitable—and that Peter Chiarelli should have aimed higher for the backup. I sincerely hope Jonas Gustavsson is okay.

FORWARDS, LAST NIGHT

forwards-last-night

• Jesse Puljujarvi impresses me (and I have said it) as a guy who does a lot of things we expect from older players, like being on the right side of the puck and winning battles. Poster Sliderule said this about him in the comments section last night: Puljujarvi was noticeable in that he played his position well marking a man and engaging.Only 18 but they are not going to send him down as he is better than options. That is exactly how I see it.
  • Patrick Maroon worked hard, got things done but nothing rhymes—some days are diamond and some days are stone. I like him more than some of you, but he needs to be productive every night—there is a thin line between usefulness and down the road for role players.
  • Zack Kassian was solid to very good. Had three shots, an assist and played up the roster.
  • Leon Draisaitl was high event and I thought he could have had more than one assist with a little luck. Six shots, 70 percent on the dot, he was probably the best center last night.
  • Benoit Pouliot took two penalties in the offensive zone and then saw the bench for the rest of the night. I don’t agree with that call—Pouliot is an effective player even with the penalties—and benching him gave Edmonton less of a chance to win the game. He scored, which is important.
  • Connor McDavid had several good moments, but did not cash and ended the game with one shot on goal. The line shuffling may continue, and I do think eventually we will see one or the other winger move from his line. It might be Lucic, who seems to have chem with Leon. He followed two insane games with a quieter one, and I suspect we see a breathtaking performance on Tuesday. Sabres marked him well.
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins picked up an assist, had three shots and was 47 percent on the dot. Also was part of the penalty killing group. People are on him already, but he looked fine early in camp (after returning from World Cup of Hockey) and I thought he was good last night.
  • Tyler Pitlick had a nice game in a support role. Hope he sticks around for the whole season.
  • Milan Lucic was high event, scoring a goal (nice chem with Leon), elbowing people randomly and creating collisions as able. Also shot the puck in the net after a whistle (it was awful, he was late and did it on purpose, God love him) and it seemed to wake up the team. I am biased, but love that he is an Oiler.
  • Jordan Eberle had an assist, two shots and a takeaway—also knocked Kulikov on his tail feathers. He seems a more determined player these days, think Lucic may be having an impact.
  • Mark Letestu did not have a strong night, but these things happen and he is a game rooster. You need guys like these because asking McDavid and Nuge to PK and take own-zone faceoffs is crazy.
  • Anton Lander made an amazingly addled slash and got a penalty, lordy Anton this is not the time, man. He is, I suspect, hanging by a blasted thread, and then takes a dumb penalty.

Yes. Well. McLellan also said no one was ready to play and seemed to blame it on the early start time, but didn’t let anyone off the hook. They were bad, and they have a chance to fix it Tuesday. I do wonder if Pouliot is living on borrowed time, especially with Patrick Maroon at the ready. I think a smart team plucks BP and gets a top flight winger for years to come.

THE HEART OF THE MATTER

• Todd McLellan: “The preparation. We looked like the Bad News Bears. We had a five o’clock game in the afternoon, we had guys falling all over the place. Our passing was poor. Positionally, from the goaltender on up to the forwards, no one was ready to play.” Source

I have no quarrel with the Oilers moving the practice day from Wednesday to Monday, because I do think it is important to win the Tuesday. The concern for all Oilers fans should be the underlined portion of the quote from Mr. Barnes article (a worthwhile read). I will tell you that the Oilers have stunk the joint out (to my memory) on early Sunday games going back a very long way, and that for me this reaction is a breath of fresh air. React before the season is lost!

You may feel Todd McLellan made a wrong move here, but for me this Oilers team has to turn north. How long have we been discussing it? If this team cannot get through October with a 5-3-1 record (or similar) then at some point in November we are going to begin talking about Nolan Patrick, Peter Chiarelli is going to make some trades and Todd McLellan’s hold on this coaching job is going to erode. If not now, when?

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

At 10 this morning, TSN1260. Scheduled to appear:

• Scott Burnside, ESPN. Quick starts in St. Louis and Pittsburgh, Flyers’s rookies and McDavid, Matthews and Marchand off to hot starts.
  • Andy McNamara, TSN4Downs. NFL weekend saw the Cowboys continue their rise and the AFC West remains the most interesting division in football.
  • Jason Gregor, TSN1260. Oilers loss last night gives fans pause, Eskimos cross over and Toronto Blue Jays in a must win game tonight.

10-1260 text, @Lowetide on twitter. I will also be on the round table with Dusty and Wil (and Matt Iwanyk!) at a little after 9 this morning.

176 Responses to "AND WE ARE BACK"

1. kinger_OIL says:

– Great post LT. I am not at bullish on Talbo as you are. I agree we needed better than than the monster. What an opportunity for Brossoit.

– Talbot’s not trending the right way: as his assignment gets higher:

2013 – 21 games – 0.941SV% = awesome back-up on awesome team
    2014 – 36 games – 0.926SV% = good Lundquist goes down, but a drop-off
    2015 – 56 games – 0.917SV% = meh, team was meh. Rarely “stole games”
    2016 – 3 games – I won’t post SV%, but he hasn’t looked primetime in any of 3 games

– I don’t know if he can reverse this trend of being worse as the responsibilty increases, but he’s 29 years old, this is his 4rth year, and he certainly isn’t crushing it

– We need is average goaltending, and this year’s tandemn is not average, nor was last years…

2. Water Fire says:

Great work LT. Unfortunately for Talbot the goalie stands alone. The other players get a little shelter from the herd.

It’s make or brake time for Talbot methinks.

Edit: some may use the spelling ‘break’.

3. misfit says:

Did they have one of their 25, or did they piss away one of the 32?

4. Dino says:

1. I agree with the decision to practice today instead of take the day off. I think it shows accountability and urgency to win NOW, something this organization has lacked for a while. Kudos to coach, captain and the rest of the players for recognizing this.

2. A lot of people feel Mclellan is overreacting too soon in the season and might be losing the room because of it. I beg to differ. I think the goal for this team this year is playoffs and to make it they have to win early and they have to beat the weaker teams like a depleted Buffalo. Coach is mad because that was an important and attainable 2 points they pissed away, the message has to be delivered now while the season is young.

3. I hope Puljujuarvi gets sent down after his 9 games and we see this line:

Pou Mcd Ebs
    Luc RNH Drai
    Maroon Cag Kassian
    Pitlick Letestu Lander

5. Hall Awaits says:

If Drake is ready I think Pou sits. Just deserved to. The bonehead crap has to stop.

6. JJS says:

It was evident last night the Oil are still searching for chemistry. We don’t spend too much time on the topic around here but the constant player turnover must have a significant effect on comfort, anticipation, battle level etc.

Terrible example alert but I know when I have a steady d-partner in beer league, we start to bond at a higher level and will do more to protect one another, predict subtle plays and so on.

Historically, a veteran team like Chicago and Detroit would shoot out of the gate with ease as the top 6/top 4 were virtually the same year to year. This has shifted for both teams and we are seeing the result.

Hopefully, we can cement a top 6 this year and keep it going for a few.

7. commonfan14 says:

If we don’t protect any goalies for the expansion draft, maybe the NHL lets us protect another skater?

8. leadfarmer says:

Talbots is ok, but there he has never proven to be a 60 games starter and I don’t like the fact thats what they were expecting out of him.

Lucic has good chemistry with Draisatl. Pats myself on the back for calling that. He just doesnt have the wheels to work with McDavid but him and Draisatl are physically a load for the opposition.

9. Water Fire says:

Pouliot is never going to stop what he does. He’s too old. He is also an effective player overall, it’s not like any of the vets are blowing the doors off right now, Sekera excepted.

McLellan needs to make sure he isn’t cutting his nose off to spite his face. If anything, if you don’t like the player, tell Peter and make him look good with lots of TOI etc and trade him instead of Oilering him.

Pouliot has enough track to be pumped and dumped.

10. HugThePost says:

Across generations and repeated iterations of this team, the same themes still come up. We have replaced management, traded everyone from number one picks to barely prospects, replaced coaches, brought in veteran brand name champions who ‘know what it takes’ and landed the Next One. But we still see the same thing:

1. The team collectively not showing up at regular intervals during the season
    2. The goalie letting in any puck that gets directed his way, at the worst possible time
    3. penalties
    4. losing to crap teams
    5. taking 2 steps forward followed by 5 steps back

I remember Todd Marchant quoted when he was here that the Oilers never seem to know how to deal with a little bit of success and how they let some positives go to their heads and think it is all easy after getting a couple of wins and then proceed to go on a 6 game losing streak.

It just seems that with all of the team turnover, the new arena, a supposed new identity and era of Oilers hockey, the same stinky mentality and perhaps a bit of a black cloud still hovers around this team.

I agree with LT, they HAVE to turn it north in a significant way this year. If they can’t at this point where do they go from here?

11. stevezie says:

I prefer the team win, but a part of me was glad to see a loss yesterday.

I swear I’m not anti-joy, but the reckless, drunken blue-skying after two uneven games was getting a bit much for me.

To preemptively defend myself from charges of being a less famous version of Derek Zona- my fued with Chiarelli and Katz (they don’t know about it yet) has made me a an Oilers grouch between games, but once the puck drops I find myself unconsciously compelled to cheer for the Oilers and swear at the refs.

Anyway I hope the next loss is closer.

12. digger50 says:

Agree that “shaking up the lines” often has the opposite effect than intended. Instead of focusing on the game they have to adjust to new linemates, often counter productive.

Talbot not in net. Likely this game is turned around.

Having confidence in a back up goalie makes a difference. The fact the Oilers plan on playing Gustafson very little shows they do not have confidence. Why then did they acquire him??

You cannot win with poor goaltending, period.

13. russ99 says:

Eberle is completely in tune with Lucic, Eberle is completely in tune with McDavid.

McDavid – Lucic not so much, but that is no reason to throw away our most consistently producing scoring line.

Breaking that line up to get other lines going diminishes our overall offense. The onus should be on those other lines playing more effectively than sinking McDavid to do so.

14. DRFNsuperstar says:

Todd must be confused as heck right now, there is an itch he cannot seem to scratch…sooner or later Young Jesse is going to be in on the cycle with Lucic, and Eberle will be back with his buddies Nuge and Pouliot. If Connor isn’t putting up 3 in a game another line has to cash. The Drake is going to have a hell of a time going from pre-season stud to regular season 3C after being out a couple weeks with injury.

Lucic-Mcdavid-Jesse
    Pouliot-Nuge-Ebs
    Maroon-Drai-Kass
    Dogs breakfast

15. leadfarmer says:

Pou is taking a lot of penalties. Normally its overblow 28 and 30 penalty minutes in the last two seasons, but he is already up to 12. He needs to not try quite so hard to make something out of nothing.

The game last night was on Talbot. The guys fought hard to get back to 2-2. That center ice goal is the kind of back breaking goaltending that sewered seasons before.

16. russ99 says:

digger50:

Talbot not in net. Likely this game is turned around.

You cannot win with poor goaltending, period.

The expansion draft is a big reason why we’ve made the goaltending moves we have.

Unless Monster misses some significant time, Broissoit will stay in Bakersfield.

Talbot will be OK.

17. stevezie says:

stevezie,

Bad games happen. Nothing from yesterday is cause for panic.

I mean, not cause for any more panic.

18. HugThePost says:

stevezie:
    stevezie,

Bad games happen. Nothing from yesterday is cause for panic.

I mean, not cause for any more panic.

After 10 years of not just losing, but crushing-type losing and on a grander scale a quarter century of being amongst the NHL’s weaklings (with the exception of one miracle spring), who can blame any fan of this team for being always on edge about what the next team disaster is?

19. SoCaloil says:

If you take 5 o-zone penalties in 2 games you deserved to be benched. End of story…
    Especially at the beginning of the season.

20. Bruce Wayne says:

stevezie:
    I prefer the team win, but a part of me was glad to see a loss yesterday.

Anyway I hope the next loss is closer.

Agree completely. While watching I want them to win. But I’m glad when they lose too, because they deserve it. The worst thing that could happen is for this team to succeed in spite of the horrific offseasons of the past two years.

As to the article, it is interesting to watch the transformation of lowetide. In terms of life lessons, and reading the tea leaves, he remains as wise as ever. I, for one, could use some of his moderation. And yet, his judgement of the Oilers has lost its moderation, he’s gone all-in on the Chiarelli/McClellan kool-aid.

How can you lament the forthcoming shipping away of Pouliot in one breath, and then applaud McClellan for throwing him under the bus with the other?

Puljujarvi has no business playing in the NHL. Versteeg or Parenteau or both should be in his spot. They are better players now and he will be a better player later by thriving in the AHL rather than trying to keep his head above water in the NHL. Keeping him in the NHL is the kind of lose-lose move that is becoming Chiarelli’s trademark.

It is really hard to know what to hope for. If the team fails, then there is a chance that Chiarelli and McClellan (I’m going full Godot on this one) are shown the door. More likely, though, the blame falls on someone like Eberle who is traded for a bag of pucks to free up cap space that Chiarelli can then waste.

If the team makes the playoffs, Chiarelli gains the gravitas to continue to waste the McDavid years. But at least then there is a chance that Eberle stays.

So whatever happens this year, remember the counterfactual is not more of the same. Rather imagine a team that didn’t trade for Reinhart, didn’t trade Hall, didn’t sign Lucic, and instead trading Nurse for a RHD as good as Larsson (very possible), signed Demers (definitely possible), and filled out the roster with cheap veterans instead of Puljujarvi and Pitlikick and Slephyshev, etc. That team is one of the best teams in the NHL.

21. Water Fire says:

Good teams spread talent. The cap means you can’t have a top 9 that gets paid. Or 6 defense. If you want three productive lines, you have to use pairs and a complimentary player up front. Often the D pairs have a good player and emerging player, but that young player has to be legit.

22. Yeti says:

stevezie,

It does raise the question of whether the wins against Calgary tell us more about that team’s weaknesses than our own strengths.

23. dustrock says:

leadfarmer:
    Pou is taking a lot of penalties.Normally its overblow 28 and 30 penalty minutes in the last two seasons, but he is already up to 12.He needs to not try quite so hard to make something out of nothing.

The game last night was on Talbot.The guys fought hard to get back to 2-2.That center ice goal is the kind of back breaking goaltending that sewered seasons before.

LT, I know you’re a Pouliot fan, and I like him a lot too, but yes, 12 PIMs in 3 games. And as always, offensive zone penalties. It has to stop. He can’t take 2 penalties per game.

Other than maybe one game in the preseason (I know, it’s preseason), I don’t think Talbot has looked razor sharp at all. The 2nd Calgary game was a bit crazy after the first period, and he shut the door there, but there was a time last season where he did look like a #1, and would shrug off the occasional bad goal.

The scouting report from a few NYR fans when we traded for him was that he would let in a few softies, but he would also make saves that he had no business making. It’s that 2nd part that is missing right now.

24. dustrock says:

With respect to McLellan, I was debating on twitter last night with Cameron Thomson about T-Mac’s comments. Cam isn’t a huge McLellan fan, and thinks he’s never had to work with a team with this many holes.

I did agree with him he seems visibly frustrated and saying things like “idiocy” in the Game 3 postgame is somewhat alarming.

I don’t think he’s lost the room at all – given his resume, the success at the World Championships, and at the World Cup with the Young Guns, he should be accorded the respect of the room.

But I get the sense he is getting frustrated with the breakdowns and errors in execution and I wonder if he’s struggling as well.

25. Fog of Warts says:

There’s a piece in Bloomberg this morning about how Wall Street regards the worst outcome as a “wave”, where all three of Madison’s blind mice somehow wind up the same colour. Wall St does not want to see three grapefruits or three prunes come up on the November slot machine. It leads to an electoral mandate (gasp!) and random acts of progressive leadership.

The media, however, persists in interpreting polls as “support” for prune or grapefruit. We had that problem around here for a long time until Bettman rigged the draft to prevent what happened last night: league-marquee talent mired in an eternal same old, same old. (When the mob fixes an outcome, it stays fixed. Rigging, however, is subject to the best laid plans of mice and men a great deal more than some would have us believe.)

It’s hard to judge management when the preference order looks like this:

great balls of fire
    stellar success
    ordinary success
    Milquetoast success framed as a building block moving forward (five whole “clearly a lot more work to do” playoff games)
    great balls of tire
    cataclysmic failure
    merely abject failure
    ordinary failure
    piddling failure (welcome to draft position #17)

That’s what Wall Street wants for government. Draft position #17 & a prevailing ethos of gridlock constipation. However, even Wall Street drops a stitch from time to time.

The team, led by Chief U.S. Equity Strategist David Kostin … adds that the most recent example of a meaningful impact from this would be the Democratic sweep in 2008, which led to the passage of the Affordable Care Act.

This looks pretty dire on the surface of things, but Tommy Douglas need not fear that the incorrigible southerners are scooping his legacy: the word “affordable” in the name of this act serves as a dead giveaway.

Here’s to hoping Connor won’t settle, like Wall Street, for merely rigging the ship upright. But still, there are decent limits.

up and under

In January 1905 Salt’s journal, The Humanitarian, published an eye-witness account of a Royal Navy birching ‘gone wrong’. When one bircher failed to incite his victim to screams, he became overzealous, aimed ‘up and under’, and landed his birch on a particularly delicate part of the anatomy:

“Towards the completion of the number of strokes, the corporal [carrying out the birching] began to be anxious for his reputation, so he resorted to the unfair and terrible ‘upward’ stroke, but his aim was not true. The poor fellow gave a yell which I shall never forget and fainted at once… Until he had been surgically examined there was no anxiety, but when it was known that no permanent injury had been inflicted, the matter became one for jest among those sufficiently lost to all sense of decency.”

What? That’s the strangest use of the words “anxious” and “anxiety” I’ve ever seen. It must have been—for some—a slang term of black humour for tough on crime money shot.

Bircherism. When the mob fixes something, it stays fixed.

26. dustrock says:

I’ve been sounding the alarm about Talbot’s wife being due in October for about 4 months now.

This is exactly what I feared would happen.

I doubt she’s sleeping well, and I doubt he’s sleeping well.

I don’t blame him for not being focused on hockey, because family is far more important, but I’m wondering if maybe he should take a couple of weeks off. Seriously.

This is where having Gustavsson and LB as the answers makes it difficult.

27. rickithebear says:

Period 1: 10 HSC corsi
    Talbot 6 HSC shots 2 G
    2 HSC misses

period 2: 6 HSC corsi
    Talbot 2 HSC SH 1G;
    One open hole,shot from distance. 1G
    2 HSC misses
    Gustavsson 1 HSC SH

Period 3: 12 HSC corsi
    Talbot 6 HSC shots 3G;
    3 HSC misses

21HSC SH of 24 SHots 87.5%

28 HSC corsi

This is a terrible HSC game.

10.5 is average.

21 is ?

28. HugThePost says:

dustrock:

This is exactly what I feared would happen.

I doubt she’s sleeping well, and I doubt he’s sleeping well.

This is where having Gustavsson and LB as the answers makes it difficult.

Should the Oilers provide nanny services for their players who have new additions to their families? I am not kidding—if it will help a guy focus and perform better on his job, it would be a worthwhile investment for Katz.

We are dead in the water if Talbot cannot play up to par. We need him to be league average at the very least or else our long walk through the hinterland of the NHL goes on.

29. B S says:

dustrock,

This is where a road trip would come in handy. I also hope Talbot had the foresight to hire a nanny.

30. B S says:

HugThePost,

The players should be hiring their own nannies, lord knows they’re payed enough to afford it. Oilers admin can help find them for the players, but I seriously don’t know why the team should be on the hook for a player’s life decision.

31. jake70 says:

1:46, 1:22, 2:37 – these are the first period minute marks in each of the first 3 games when the Oilers were scored upon. One game they did score first however, only to give it right back.

32. NYCOIL "Gentleman Backpacker" says:

Pouliot has always worn out his welcome with fans due to o-zone penalties. Happened in Boston and NYR. That’s partly why until Edmonton he could not get a long-term deal. I think he irritates his coaches, too. He will have a great forecheck then get frustrated and clutch, hook, etc. He has not learned to eliminate that from his game except his first year in Edmonton I said he played his best-ever stretch of hockey. And he still took a memorably bad o-zone penalty that cost the team a game.

I did warn y’all before he signed here what the team would be getting. Hey, if he actually stayed healthy to put up 50 points instead of just a 50 point pace over 60 games, did not take as many penalties, etc., he never would have been available to come sign and play here. Edmonton has him because of his warts, not in spite of them.

Rangers fans were tired of his schtick and it seems Oiler fans are tiring of it, too.

33. rickithebear says:

Talbot had a .768 HSC save% in buffalo game.
    that is in the range
    Montoya; Rinne averaged for last 3 years.

34. Water Fire says:

dustrock:

This is exactly what I feared would happen.

I doubt she’s sleeping well, and I doubt he’s sleeping well.

This is where having Gustavsson and LB as the answers makes it difficult.

Turn North. No more excuses. How many here have thrown their careers away because they had a baby, or two?

I don’t buy it.

Edit: I should say that you’re likely right, but I don’t buy it from Talbot. I am sure his hockey wife doesn’t want to see him fail. He was not good in the Calgary games either.

35. Bag of Pucks says:

HugThePost: Should the Oilers provide nanny services for their players who have new additions to their families?I am not kidding—if it will help a guy focus and perform better on his job, it would be a worthwhile investment for Katz.

We are dead in the water if Talbot cannot play up to par.We need him to be league average at the very least or else our long walk through the hinterland of the NHL goes on.

Is it too much to expect someone earning $4 million + a season or $66k a game to hire their own homecare assistance to ensure they can do their job properly?

Man, the amount of excuses we make for people nowadays.

36. GMB3 says:

LT, I do not and I don’t think I will ever understand your love affair with BP. He’s not a top flight winger in this league. Has he ever really stuck with a team in the NHL? There are reasons he hasn’t.

The guy has the skillset you would associate with a former 4th overall pick, but his overall inconsistent effort is incredibly frustrating. I’m not talking about the stupid selfish penalties either. As you said, the super importance of single moments and events can have a huge impact on the game, and Poo’s inability to get the puck deep, win important puck battles, and his tendency to wait for the puck to get to him or wait for the play to develop instead of going it and doing it himself hurts the team at important junctions during games.

I thought Jordan Eberle looked better than I’ve seen him play in over a year. It was refreshing. Kassian has upped the ante as well, the guy is a work horse and will only get better IMO.

Talbot will rebound. We will have a better idea of how far north this team has turned after their game with Carolina. Big “show me” game IMO.

37. norm_klassen says:

talbot for whatever reason starts of slow! Lowetide mentioned the need for a good back up and ya its showing now! i hope brocan grow into the back up role. The monster getting injured second shift in was soo oilers!
    talbot will correct himself i hope in time because scoring cines in goes we need to win a 2-1 game as much as the 5-3 ones

38. admiralmark says:

1) The Sky is Falling!
    2) Canucks are gonna win the Stanley Cup!
    3) Talbot is the 2nd coming of Racicot!
    4) Trumps gonna win!
    5) I love being wrong!

39. GMB3 says:

Also Milan Lucic, I love the guy. These intangibles you hear so many NHL executives and coaches talk about that so many people in the fancy stat community scoff at? He brings them. The teams response after that late shot on goal was perfect. Moar plz

40. Jethro Tull says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

That doesn’t jive. He played for Boston: Lucic and Marchand. And for the Rags and the douches they’ve had playing for them like Callahan and Dubinsky. He’s just been a spare part for most of his career, never being quite good enough to keep but good enough to trade.

41. GMB3 says:

NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

Well said. The guy has the ability to be an impact playsr yet I feel his impact is often negative

42. Water Fire says:

I was concerned in the Calgary games how poorly Tabot dealt with pucks he was rebounding in front of him.

They weren’t going that far out which is good, but at least two of the goals came from those. There should be nothing to shoot at 3 feet in front of the goalie, but they found the net.

If you can’t stop or recover pucks in the crease things will not go well.

Chicago, Detroit and Pittsburgh have won multiple Cups with wobbly goaltending from their starters, so not all is lost. But it is disappointing, and Talbot needs to get it together before he sewers the team’s season, unless Chia has a miracle up his sleeve.

43. GMB3 says:

Jethro Tull:
    NYCOIL “Gentleman Backpacker”,

44. stush18 says:

Gotta love oilers fans.

2-0, book the parade, mcdavid is our saviour.

2-1, typical oilers, defends and goalteanding sucks, where does mr. Patrick fit into next years lineup?

45. Jethro Tull says:

admiralmark:
    1) The Sky is Falling!
    2) Canucks are gonna win the Stanley Cup!
    3) Talbot is the 2nd coming of Racicot!
    4) Trumps gonna win!
    5) I love being wrong!

Next year’s RE: James Bond film titles.

Today’s? Skyfall.

Potentials?

Thunderball
    Dr. No
    Etc.

46. Jethro Tull says:

GMB3: Lucic and Marchand bring a lot more to the table than stupid O zone penalties. Lucic being a douche seems to help ignite a fire within his own team, Marchand is a nuisance for the opposing team. Poo is a nuisance for his old team

Now there is a narrative if ever there was one.

47. Oddspell says:

stush18,

Excuse me, I’ll have you know I thought the sky was falling even when we were at 2-0.

48. Confused says:

We do not seem to have much physical element in our play.
    Did not see many finishing checks last night.
    Game 3 and we already have people throwing punches at Conner!

Also this “start every game poorly”, is the same as last year.
    Why can’t they get geared up to start then the puck drops.
    Losing the first goal is often devastating.

These are both fixable, its really about attitude and commitment not skill,

misfit:
    Did they have one of their 25, or did they piss away one of the 32?

Answer: They pissed away one of the 32.

50. dustrock says:

godot10: A bunch of the players including the captain and the goaltender went to the extremely loud Kanye West concert the night before an early Sunday game.

Answer:They pissed away one of the 32.

Did they really go to the concert? Ha ha, so much for my pregnant wife theory.

Although I understand we’re playing the Canes tomorrow, and Talbot’s wife is scheduled for a C-Section on Wednesday.

Do you start him?

51. Side says:

Answer:They pissed away one of the 32.

Why do you keep mentioning that it was extremely loud?

Hall Awaits:

Pouliot is 30. He is what he is. He is effective because he plays at the edge, and that produces bad penalties. One has to take the bad with the good or you end up with nothing. You can expect to change a 30-year old hockey player.

It is like coaches trying to change Penner.

The player isn’t going to change what made and makes him an NHL quality player.

It is not surprising that Pouliot played the best he ever played under Todd Nelson, who is capable of getting the good and coaching to minimize the bad out of a player.

Side: Did the players send out something on Twitter about them all going out to Kanye?

Why do you keep mentioning that it was extremely loud?

Sleep and recovery time. They may have been responsible and not drank or ate bad food, but they were never going to be able to get a proper sleep.

54. Side says:

godot10: Sleep and recovery time.They may have been responsible and not drank or ate bad food, but they were never going to be able to get a proper sleep.

But again, how do you know a bunch of them were at the concert?

In regards to sleep and recovery time, I’m sure they have had many times before, whether it be from their flight schedules, travelling time, etc. where they have not had a lot of sleep and recovery time and I don’t recall them playing that bad.

They played a bad game but I’m not entirely convinced it was because some of them went to a concert the night before.

I think the Kanye point is done. We have no proof of wrongdoing and I am not comfortable with projecting behavior of others. We have discussed it, let’s move on please and thanks.

56. GMB3 says:

Jethro Tull,

Well Brad Marchand is good enough to score 37 and play for Team C. Milan Lucic seems to garner respect around the league. Seems to be reason enough for both fans and the organization to put up with their shit. Not sure what BP does to put himself in their stratosphere of effectiveness in the NHL.

Not sure where that fits within this narrative. It seems to rationalize one POV anyways. Which does more for a discussion than just saying “I disagree”

57. Confused says:

Anyone know anything about the Josh Leivo situation?

58. "Steve Smith" says:

…and that egomaniacal rapper’s name? Andrew Ference.

59. GMB3 says:

That example may not even be relevant, but I feel that they need to do more than other teams to win games.. and preparation is a huge part of that

60. "Steve Smith" says:

stevezie:
    …your life must be full of constant disappointment and confusion in regards to the behaviour of human beings.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD.

(But hey, it’s a living.)

It gives me no pleasure to delete posts, but we are finished with the thing about the thing. Move on please.

62. "Steve Smith" says:

Okay, turns out that LT was serious.

63. OmJo says:

How long until the Oilers trade Pouliot and half his salary for a sixth round pick?

Because we obviously don’t need forward depth.

64. OmJo says:

That makes me wonder… When teams retain salary, does it effect their cap hit at all? Is one of the reasons the Ducks can’t sign Lindholm because they still have Maroon’s salary on their cap?

65. fifthcartel says:

Confused,

This is a player I could see the Oilers claiming.

Agreed on the Oilers trading Pouliot, and possibly for not much at all. I’m scared to think of them dumping him and going with Maroon and Caggiula at 2 and 3LW, but it is something I could see. I doubt they’d get a helpful player back with how they feel about him.

66. classict says:

OmJo,

Yup. Though it’s more than just Maroon stopping them from signing Lindholm.

67. GMB3 says:

I feel as though when a team plays that poorly it’s easy to question their preparation for the game and what they did the night before is part of that. I didn’t read much of the game thread yesterday so I didn’t know bringing it up was such an issue. So my apologies.

Let’s chalk it up to a youthful team underestimating their opponent and hope they come out better against Carolina instead of letting it snowball.

68. westcoastjos says:

Well, that was depressing. It remains to be seen whether I will be happy or crying at the Ottawa game at the end of the month. I’d be happy with at least .500 I think.

69. HugThePost says:

what is the word on the schedule for the Drake’s injury?

70. russ99 says:

Pouliot is not a Chia acquisition, so it’s possible that he could go.

But he’s still quite useful outside of the bad penalties.

But he’s going to need to score a few goals without his leg to turn things around with McLellan.

Similar MacT signing Fayne is a different case entirely.

Side:

This is a mistake of their own choosing, not because of a travel schedule. It was an “own goal”.

72. Blackwolf says:

Out of curiosity, how did the Hawks do the year Gagner had his 8 point night. Every team has 2-3 duds a year, it’s not a big deal.
    The Oilers definitely need to tighten things up sooner than later if they are dreaming of a playoff shot though.

73. Bag of Pucks says:

godot10: Pouliot is 30.He is what he is.He is effective because he plays at the edge, and that produces bad penalties.One has to take the bad with the good or you end up with nothing.You can expect to change a 30-year old hockey player.

It is like coaches trying to change Penner.

The player isn’t going to change what made and makes him an NHL quality player.

Taking Ozone penalties is what made Pouliot a quality NHL player?

Cos that’s the behaviour TMac is trying to change.

74. blainer says:

I agree with LT that sitting out BP will actually hurt the team. I also agree that 5 OZ penalties in two games is inexcusable.

I think the message TMc gave BP by sitting on the bench last game should be enough for now but he has to be put on notice.

If this happens again I will start sitting you. This team is not deep enough to sit out Pou yet unless Tmc really thinks he is a liability beyond taking bad penalties ( and they must stop ) and if he really thinks that and the stats show that then sit him.

75. Bag of Pucks says:

Fair enough, but the team can’t move North when it’s focused on West.

I agree it’s unfair to give the players a ‘bad rap’ over this.

Btw, anyone who provides money to someone who names their child ‘North West’ deserves whatever bad karma that yields.

76. Confused says:

fifthcartel,

Agreed.

But when will he be available?????

77. blainer says:

Blackwolf:

This. I am still very optimistic but the injury to Davey stings.

78. Side says:

Bag of Pucks: Taking Ozone penalties is what made Pouliot a quality NHL player?

Cos that’s the behaviour TMac is trying to change.

Which has nothing to do with Todd being a “round peg” coach, and Pouliot being a “square peg” player.

Of course, the result is what people focus on. People are criticizing Todd for benching Pouliot for so long, which is totally fair, but if the Oilers were able to turn it around after that point people would be praising Todd for benching Pouliot to allow the Oilers to play at ES more. But since the Oilers lost, badly, now it’s Todd’s fault for not playing Pouliot more. But I guess this is what the Oilers org. and the fans do. They take in good players or management, put every move under a microscope and criticize it when it doesn’t pan out, then it gets blown out of proportion.

Now Pouliot is considered a bum, and Todd is considered an inflexible coach who is mediocre at best.

79. Bag of Pucks says:

Looking for silver linings….

1) Loved that positively filthy Lucic elbow on Okposo. That was positively Messier-esque in its nonchalant delivery.
    2) Further to point one, I love that this team actually pushes back now around the crease and in scrums. It’s been a long long time since we saw an Oiler team that collectively answers those physical challenges.
    3) Draisaitl and Lucic could very well become a thing. Throw Maroon or Kassian on that line and call it the ‘Rock em Sock em Robots.’
    4) Feeling better about my death march prediction after last night’s game.

80. stevezie says:

godot10,

I look forward to both our posts being deleted (and I won’t complain), but until they are:

People are going to act like people. You are asking them to act like hockey playing robots. This request is- at best- naive and amusing.

Humans gonna human.

81. stevezie says:

And those humans’ name? Paul Harvey

82. Water Fire says:

With Pouliot the issue might be how the coaches see the penalties. Aggressiveness is not usually frowned upon to the point of benching. If it’s seen as not skating or overly retaliatory that would garner a different result.

83. Bag of Pucks says:

Side: Yeah I don’t quite understand why people are saying it’s Todd’s fault for Pouliot taking penalties.

Of course, the result is what people focus on.People are criticizing Todd for benching Pouliot for so long, which is totally fair, but if the Oilers were able to turn it around after that point people would be praising Todd for benching Pouliot to allow the Oilers to play at ES more.But since the Oilers lost, badly, now it’s Todd’s fault for not playing Pouliot more.But I guess this is what the Oilers org. and the fans do.They take in good players or management, put every move under a microscope and criticize it when it doesn’t pan out, then it gets blown out of proportion.

Not to mention that Pouliot’s biggest crime is the one I consider most egregious in an NHL player, he’s careless with his stick. It’s a dangerous enough game as is without guys swinging their lumber around at visor height.

This type of behaviour used to be rectified by a member of the opposition pounding the piss out of the hacker/slasher. But fighting’s down, so the game is safer now….lol

84. corbs says:

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath and relax. The season isn’t over because we had a bad game. Just like the two good games didn’t make us a Stanley Cup favourite. It’s three damn games, RELAX!

Lowetide…one thing I can’t understand is how you can still see value in Pouliot? He’s lazy and takes way too many penalties that cost us. He adds more negatives than positives in my mind and I’d love to be rid of him. I’d also love to see Puljujarvi sent down but when the alternative is Slepyshev I’m not sure that’s better. I see nothing in Slepy that makes me feel he’s an NHL player.

Just my opinion.

85. Jethro Tull says:

GMB3:
    Jethro Tull,

I believe i outlined my POV wrt Pouliot by saying i believed he was more expendable than unwanted on his previous teams. I’m not going to repost the same thing ad nauseam to every poster to reply.

Btw, Kanye West likes fish sticks.

86. McSorley33 says:

Well, I am going to say a few silver linings imo. Take a positive spin.

I must be coming down with something.

Amazing how good Sek has looked so far and what happens when a player gets slotted into his proper role.

In addition, I am not sure how you can argue with Pitlick’s play so far. I don’t think he has a lot of offense to bring, but an ideal 4th liner. Hit, skate and hopefully PK.

Further, maybe it is just me but Mr. Kassian looks pretty good. At 3W, with Leon – if you squint –
    ( Pool party assumed to inherit 2RW ) real, real hard you can see a possibility for 3 scoring lines.

Base talent is clearly there for Mr. Kassian only 25 ….

Larsson and Russell have looked good as well.

*********************************

87. Chachi says:

Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 21m21 minutes ago
    Not sure if a factor, but starting goalie Cam Talbot and his wife are having twins on Wednesday. Day off Wed would make more sense. #Oilers

I am sure Talbot had a little something other than a concert on his mind last night…

88. McSorley33 says:

NYCOIL – correctly called Poo a long time before we saw him in Edmonton.

Never seen an advanced scouting tip – so deadly accurate.

Tip of the Cap to him.

89. Chachi says:

dustrock: Did they really go to the concert?Ha ha, so much for my pregnant wife theory.

Do you start him?

Nope.

90. stevezie says:

dustrock,

I wouldn’t start him if he just pitched a shutout. He probably wants to be in the hospital.

Let humans do human things!

91. frjohnk says:

RE: Gustavvson has a concussion right?
    Talbot expecting twins Wednesday.

Broissant called up yet?

92. su_dhillon says:

I think Talbot is going to be fine and will give them a season at the expected level, in that middle of the pack among starting goalies.

The problem with this scenario of him struggling for small periods or starting off slow isn’t that he isn’t a real #1 but rather that they treated him like an elite r 65 game starter and don’t have a real alternative if Talbot plays at a less than optimal level.

Its what the Oilers always do, plan for best case scenario and when that doesn’t happen, plan for the draft and talk about all the bad luck you had.

It’s the same on the blueline, if one of Larson or Kelfbom miss any real time or struggle its basically a wrap because the Oilers have only planned for them being really good for 75 games each.

93. Jethro Tull says:

Wonder what Scibbles is up to…

94. digger50 says:

Third period 5 on 3 at the 6:45 mark, the Sabres fire it on from the blue line and it bounces off the boards coming to rest against the post. Or did it? From the second angle it looks to be in the net. Cam covers it with his glove and slides it out.

I thought it was in and another reason I am a little down on the goalie this morning.

Second issue was giving up so many shots from bottom of the circle.

Some players were actually pretty good (Eberle) but could not cash.

95. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

My two cents on Pouliot.

Look this is a very good hockey player, I honestly think the coaching staff as well as management believe so and aside from the last two games there wasn’t really evidence last year that management/coaches figured he was a liability. Now this year is a bit different. If Pouliot and his line mates are producing I believe TMac looks the other way. Now we can go over LT’s game data, David Staples shot-chance data and the G data and we’ll see a similar pattern Nuge-Poo have been mediocre to less than mediocre in all three games. This right here is why Poo got stapled to the bench. If that line is firing on all cylinders and in the heat of the moment Poo takes a dumb penalty so be it life would go on. If that line is not creating and Poo is taking two O-Zone penalties a game then all of a sudden liability becomes a real word for the coaches.

Poo may or may not get traded at some point. I don’t believe last nights benching means a trade is imminent. The most logical/likely answer is that he and Nuge haven’t been playing great and on top of that he’s been racking up PIMs at a Tie Domi rate. If that line starts to create chances and cashes a few of them life will be just fine.

Also very happy for Mr. and Mrs Talbot! I am not yet in the stage of life where kids are on the way but from what I’ve been told by friends and family the count down before the little aliens arrive is/can be worse than actually having them screaming in the house. Here’s to hoping our Goaler just has some of the Pre-dad jitters and soon enough he’ll regain the form we saw last winter (notice how I didn’t say fall…)

96. Water Fire says:

stevezie:
    dustrock,

Let humans do human things!

Agreed. Give him time off for that.

Still, I don’t think forgetting how to play is a normal reaction. I mean, how many goalies have kids in the history of the NHL? It’s unfortunate this has happened twice. I could see nerves causing a dip in play, but he and Dubnyk both lost it.

I feel for the guy, but enough is enough with these Oilers. I suppose a lot of bad luck with Monster, didn’t get to see if he could save the day. This team is at the point where it has to make it’s own luck.

97. Younger Oil says:

The previous two seasons with the Oilers, Pouliot has averaged 15 minor penalties a season, approximately one every four games.

We shouldn’t write him off completely because of three incomprehensibly stupid games.

He should definitely be in the press box for a game or two, but the past three games he has taken penalties at 8 times the rate he has done in the past, it is NOT the norm.

98. JDï™ says:

frjohnk:
    RE: Gustavvson has a concussion right?
    Talbot expecting twins Wednesday.

Broissant called up yet?

From the Oilers’ site:

The Oilers have taken the ice for practice at Rogers Place.

Oilers goaltender Jonas Gustavsson, who was pulled from last night’s game after sustaining an upper body injury, is not on the ice.

Former Oilers goalie Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers is skating with the team as the extra netminder.

Stay tuned for further updates, news, notes and interviews throughout today.

99. stevezie says:

Water Fire,

Oh I agree. Lots of people have kids without letting in centre-ice goals.

Whatever, it was one game. If it becomes a trend, then he can start packing his bags and clearing his shelf for next year’s Vezina.

100. StixMalone says:

stush18:
    Gotta love oilers fans.

2-0, book the parade, mcdavid is our saviour.

The point is this was the Buffalo Sabres! Not the Sharks or any other GOOD team. They have to show up and take those critical 2 points on weaker opponents. You can’t afford to flush 2 points in today’s game. Then to add insult to injury they gave up after that “Tommy Salo” career ending goal! This was a flat out wasted effort on their part and these type of games need to be addressed and purged from their heads because it hasn’t changed in how many years? Tmac has every right to be verbal about this type of game because it is on the players. They get paid to do this for a living. A quite comfortable living too. Every player is accountable and I like how Tmac is handling it. URGENCY is something these players need to understand to move forward …enough of my fan rant for today. Although I know there will be more in the season…..ugh.

101. JDï™ says:

Jethro Tull:
    Wonder what Scibbles is up to…

Probably trying to buy into a Ruble hedge fund of some sort.

102. stush18 says:

Water Fire:

I think the issue is the O-zone penalties cancel out any momentum a team has been creating.

Players, coaches, and fans all feel the momentum swings. Hell we all knew that the Sedins were going to score the other night against Calgary. It was inevitable. But we can’t quantify it, so it’s dismissed, but pouliots penalties kill momentum. The only way they help is if he doesn’t get callled and creates a scoring chance.

Pouliots penalties demonstrate a lack of caring. He is fast enough to chase them down, and maintain body positioning. But he slashes, hooks, and whacks until the carrier loses the puck. The refs appear to be catching onto his game early this year, and its costing him.

How can he be LT’s and the coaches mythical “Pisani” if the coaches can’t trust you to not take a penalty?

103. Jethro Tull says:

Okay, so benching Pou was bad for the team. Or was it. On the plus side, no more stupid penalties. On the flip side, we benched one of our scorers. This is all short term. In the long term, Pou absolutely had to be benched.

Pou must have been told to dial it back a bit. He didn’t. So what else can TMac do? So you let it slide this game, but that’s a losing gambit as soon as he does it next game. That’s undermining the coaching staff. There’s exactly one guy on our team allowed to free wheel and he doesn’t. Why? Because even Connor realises he doesn’t get to do what he wants. I don’t blame Pou for all the penalties. I blame him for not giving TMac any other choice.

104. Jethro Tull says:

JDï™: Probably trying to buy into a Ruble hedge fund of some sort.

At least he’s in the land of the bear rug.

105. Evilas says:

This team hasn’t been close to good yet this season, is it possible that Talbot settles his mind after the twins are born?

I would like to see:

Pou-McD-JP
    Big Rig-RNH-Ebs
    Looch-Drai-Kass
    Caguila-Letestu-Pitlick

Nurse + Conditional 2017 1st to Jets for Trouba
    Fayne to someplace for something (obviously he is not valued by this coaching staff)

Klef-Lars
    Sek-Trouba
    Russ-Gryba

and eventually

Klef-Lars
    Sek-Russ
    Davy-Trouba

106. leadfarmer says:

JDï™: From the Oilers’ site:

The Oilers have taken the ice for practice at Rogers Place.

Stay tuned for further updates, news, notes and interviews throughout today.

We just need Ty Conklin back and the goaltending cycle is complete.

107. Showerhead says:

The trouble is you develop a past.

– Lowetide.

If Edmonton had the recent history of the Chicago Blackhawks, losing to a bottom-feeder with this kind of aplomb could be managed without this kind of hand-wringing.

I like that the leadership was pissed off. I like that they practiced today. The point is to eliminate games like that one – no more freebies – and to compete in the rest of them.

When Edmonton’s resume is more impressive… Well actually I think people will still go on major highs and lows as they win and lose. So there goes that. But should they ever have a recent history of excellent play, overcoming bad bounces, etc, I think the confidence level will be a lot higher than it is now.

108. 106 and 106 says:

Best story ever. Makes so much sense in sports.

109. Kmart99 says:

“Regardless of team or quality of mates, Pouliot has consistently been on the positive side of on-ice shot generation, with a very respectable Relative Corsi each and every year of his career.
    Pouliot also consistently comes in around the 2 points per 60 level.” – From McCurdy
    His WOWY numbers over his career are also pretty unbelievable. Pretty much every player he has ever played with has posted better possession numbers with him then they have without him.

The offensive zone penalties are unacceptable, but if he can keep the total below 30 seconds/game then the penalties are worth it. So far this season he’s gone way too far racking up 12 PIMS already in 3 games, so here’s hoping he responds to the benching and gets those numbers down.

110. JDï™ says:

Remember when the Hawks let some scrub on a bottom-feeder team score 8 points against them?

That scrub’s name…

111. Ben says:

Talbot expecting twins? Can’t this guy stop anything from getting through? *badoomhiss*

I have started the process of timing out individuals who will not stop talking about the Kanye concert. I encourage you to cease posting about it, and at this time will begin deleting accounts. Thanks so much for not respecting this blog.

113. Jethro Tull says:

Kan ye no’ get it through yer heeds to stop talking about Cant yay?

114. Jethro Tull says:

Ben:
    Talbot expecting twins? Can’t this guy stop anything from getting through?*badoomhiss*

Would have been a hell of a save….

115. verite says:

Flushing RNH should be obvious
    A $6million bust

116. maxwell_mischief says:

YAAAAS Lowetide!

117. RexLibris says:

118. Réal Goudenyéu says:

RexLibris: This wouldn’t have happened if they’d gone to an Anne Murray concert! That’s all I’m gonna say!

Hey snowbird is not about birds.

119. maxwell_mischief says:

Also, I honestly felt the Oilers were managing a lot of the game pretty well early, and stinky turnovers cost them. Klefbom had a bad game, but I don’t think it is reason to panic. I don’t know what’s happening in Talbot’s personal life, that is his business, but he needs to be better on the ice. And he will be. The Davi injury is a big blow, I like Gryba fine but I hope Benning gets a go, I think if you shelter him with Sekera and pair Russell and Nurse, Russell’s game could help Nurse out. The pair of Sekera-Russell is awesome, and I would imagine if that were the situation that the two vets would get some extra minutes together. Benning, in my opinion, would bring a similar element to the back end. The question being is if he can bring that game in regular season NHL games?

120. RexLibris says:

Talbot had a rough go early last season as well.

He’s had two bad games out of three.

But you know what? He’s a goalie and goalies are, well, we all know.

The game yesterday was initially due to some poor execution by the Oilers, but more so I think we can say it was due to poor reclamation by the Oilers.

Bylsma is a pretty good coach and he designed a game plan that neutered the offense.

The Oilers never found a way to adjust, or at least to execute what adjustments McLellan may have been trying to effect.

But let’s keep our heads on here. It was one game. Bad habits had been showing up in the previous two but as McLellan says, they were trying to outscore their problems.

Lucic looked better. Larsson looked good, to my eye. Pitlick had a nice game. Sekera was fantastic. Draisaitl showed why every team in the league quietly asks about him. Russell is slowly undermining the credibility of my hockey opinion. Nurse didn’t lose himself trying to do too much.

All thing we can take from last night.

The problem is that these were all individual achievements. None of them seemed to come together at the right time or on a consistent basis. Throw in some goaltending that I’m sure Talbot is thoroughly embarrassed about and a team that may not be as bad as we’d like to think and you get a loss.

If they do the same to Carolina I think we can begin to draw some conclusions on the nature of challenges facing this team and, therefore, the coaching staff.

121. Louis Levasseur says:

Here’s me being positive. I have watched many games like that in the past number of seasons, where you could tell, even before the leather seat under your ass got warm, that the Oil had no interest in the game and, therefore, no chance. Last night was for sure a stinker, but somehow I felt like they were still involved. We had great scoring chances, were banging bodies and generally engaged. Of course goal tending sucked, and a few guys were bad, but the crappiness felt less crappy this time.

Then again, maybe it’s just me.

122. Jethro Tull says:

2 x tix to the Gagner West concert. PM me.

123. SkatinginSand says:

Great job LT! Completely agree, Eberle has looked much more engaged this year.

Only disagreement, Pouliot had to be benched. Five careless o zone penalties and an unsportsmanlike conduct in 7 periods and a message needs to be sent. As a coach, it is always a tough call to bench someone, but the way he was playing, he was hurting the team and in a way that is inexcusable. The expectations are reasonable and everyone has to know that there are consequences for lazy, undisciplined play.

124. RexLibris says:

Jethro Tull:
    2 x tix to the Gagner West concert. PM me.

Now why did “Gagner West” never become a thing when we were all playing with his name?

125. Bag of Pucks says:

Seems like a good day to suggest other discussion topics that should be banned.

I’d be ok with us never discussing the following:

1) Feminine hygiene products
    2) Today’s weather
    3) Personal tatoos and the significant meaning(s) they carry for the bearer
    4) Reality tv
    5) Things your cellphone can do (you bought it, you didn’t invent it)
    6) Aesthetic qualities of athlete’s bodies
    7) The 1986 and 1989 NHL postseasons
    8) The Mike Comrie and Tommy Salo soap opera
    9) The lost decade of Oilers hockey
    10) My wife’s sexual history prior to my arrival on the scene

126. RexLibris says:

Question for the group (and please, LT, I’d love to hear your thoughts on this as well):

What might be involved in acquiring Curtis Lazar out of Ottawa? He’s a right-handed C but looks like he’s settling in as a potential 3rd line RW. The offense hasn’t shown up yet but I think his playing style and skill set would be rather well suited to what Chiarelli is trying to build here.

I have no idea where he fits in the Senators’ long-term plans or the perception of him as a prospect at this stage.

Bag of Pucks: Great list
    Rex: Lazar is/was my favorite Oil King of the modern era, would love to see him return. Sens need blue badly, so it would probably start there.

128. stevezie says:

RexLibris,

It’s hard to guage if they are this disappointed in him yet,but Reinhart for Lazar has a certain rhyme to it.

129. Truth says:

Oilers save percentage was 0.750 last night. Yes they started out of the gate slowly, but they had it tied until Talbot’s embarrassing center ice mishap. I know from experience (not NHL, obviously) that a whiff like that totally deflates a team. They needed the next goal and didn’t have much of a chance to get it, again due to poor goaltending.

130. stevezie says:

Bag of Pucks,

And the name of that wife? Lauren Pronger.

131. G Honey Pie Sugar Bunch says:

So a couple of guys showed careless use of their posts and LT … benched ’em?

Gold (Digger), Jerry, Gold (Digger)!

132. SoCaloil says:

So Talbot didn’t play well first 2 games, but gets Ws.
    He is expecting twins within days, so no wonder he’s not playing great.
    There is a depleted Sabres group.
    And we don’t start our backup?

WOW. Hitch started Hutton in Game 3.
    why have a backup if you can’t start him.

133. CrazyCoach says:

Bag of Pucks: I’d be ok with us never discussing the following:
    1) Feminine hygiene products
    2) Today’s weather
    3) Personal tatoos and the significant meaning(s) they carry for the bearer
    4) Reality tv
    5) Things your cellphone can do (you bought it, you didn’t invent it)
    6) Aesthetic qualities of athlete’s bodies
    7) The 1986 and 1989 NHL postseasons
    8) The Mike Comrie and Tommy Salo soap opera
    9) The lost decade of Oilers hockey
    10) My wife’s sexual history prior to my arrival on the scene

But I was just going to talk about going to the tattoo parlour last night in the rain, when my awesome cell phone rang, and it was Tommy Salo (I have some Swedish in me) calling me askin if I remembered to pick up some pads for my wife (her and Tommy are too close), and if I had a copy of Game 7 against LA in 89. I had to cut him off as I was having a discussion on the other line with PIerre McGuire about Sid Crosby’s thighs, and the OIlers turning it around after a decade in the wilderness.

So now I can’t?

134. Bag of Pucks says:

CrazyCoach: But I was just going to talk about going to the tattoo parlour last night in the rain, when my awesome cell phone rang, and it was Tommy Salo (I have some Swedish in me) calling me askin if I remembered to pick up some pads for my wife (her and Tommy are too close), and if I had a copy of Game 7 against LA in 89.I had to cut him off as I was having a discussion on the other line with PIerre McGuire about Sid Crosby’s thighs, and the OIlers turning it around after a decade in the wilderness.

So now I can’t?

“I have some Swedish in me”

That’s what she said….

And you forgot to mention the tattoo on Crosby’s thigh!

135. CrazyCoach says:

Bag of Pucks: “I have some Swedish in me”
    That’s what she said….
    And you forgot to mention the tattoo on Crosby’s thigh!

ooooh, burn. ha ha ha ha

Yes, I always wonder what it meant?

136. Walter Sobchak says:

My own crazy opinion, I still believe the Oilers should target Lindholm or Trouba.

Not a popular topic here but I would be willing to put Nurse as the one of the pieces going back.

137. RexLibris says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Seems like a good day to suggest other discussion topics that should be banned.

I’d be ok with us never discussing the following:

1) Feminine hygiene products
    2) Today’s weather
    3) Personal tatoos and the significant meaning(s) they carry for the bearer
    4) Reality tv
    5) Things your cellphone can do (you bought it, you didn’t invent it)
    6) Aesthetic qualities of athlete’s bodies
    7) The 1986 and 1989 NHL postseasons
    8) The Mike Comrie and Tommy Salo soap opera
    9) The lost decade of Oilers hockey
    10) My wife’s sexual history prior to my arrival on the scene

1. Okay.
    2. Kind of a wet cold.
    3. Matches Radar O’Reilly
    4. Is it now more “real” than the evening news?
    5. It’s a 2005 flip-phone. I can’t brag about anything except that it still holds a charge.
    6. Not even Dreamy’s abs?
    7. And people here aren’t fans of the Canadiens?
    8. Sorry, I don’t understand. Maybe it went over my head.
    9. Do we have to limit it to just one lost decade?
    10. Not going there.

138. Chachi says:

RexLibris:

Sounds like Ottawa still likes him very much and he is in their short and long term plans. Especially when you compare the comments in this article to the management verbal when Reinhart was sent down. Unless of course they are wary of lowering his value to other teams in the league by speaking negatively about him in the press. As an Oilers fan I am not sure what that looks like…

139. RexLibris says:

Bag of Pucks: Great list

So I hear you saying they will trade Reinhart for Lazar, LT. Would you like to talk about how that makes you feel?

😉

Seriously though, winnowing this damned leftorium for a RW version of Maroon would be ideal. Love Lazar. Wonderful player and by all accounts a great room presence.

140. Bag of Pucks says:

Walter Sobchak:
    My own crazy opinion,I still believe the Oilers should target Lindholm or Trouba.

There’s a possibility that Nurse could become the next Eric Gudbranson. He could also become the next Victor Hedman.

You better be sure you know which way that pendulum is going to swing before you trade him.

When a player is that physically gifted, I think you have to give them a lot of development rope. The upside is too good to dump the stock at the first sign of a dip.

141. Bag of Pucks says:

RexLibris
    8.Sorry, I don’t understand. Maybe it went over my head.

K, so I’m doing a pretty poor job not talking about this one already.

142. RexLibris says:

Chachi: http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/senatorsextra/senators-assign-curtis-lazar-to-binghamton

Sounds like Ottawa still likes him very much and he is in their short and long term plans. Especially when you compare the comments in this article to the management verbal when Reinhart was sent down.Unless of course they are wary of lowering his value to other teams in the league by speaking negatively about him in the press. As an Oilers fan I am not sure what that looks like…

143. LMHF#1 says:

Bag of Pucks: He could also become the next Victor Hedman.

144. RexLibris says:

Bag of Pucks: http://www.thesportster.com/hockey/top-12-nhl-players-who-allegedly-slept-with-a-teammates-wife/5/

K, so I’m doing a pretty poor job not talking about this one already.

I don’t even want to know.

:X

145. fifthcartel says:

Lazar is interesting because he has to be protected in the expansion draft.

Forwards likely to be protected on ottawa:

Hoffman, Ryan (NMC), Stone, Brassard, Turris, Pageau, Lazar?

Defense:

Karlsson, Phaneuf (NMC), Ceci

Leaving Methot to be exposed. I doubt they’d MacArthur with his injures issues, so Lazar is probably one of the 7 forwards they protect.

I was curious if a Reinhart for Lazar swap made sense since both have to be protected/exposed, but it looks like they likely have room for him.

Re: Nurse..

I’ve said/thought this before but how many defensemen with his poor shot attempt results ended up turning into (good) top-4/top-2 defensemen? I would wager not many.

146. Chachi says:

RexLibris: Thanks. Funny thing is, given how badly Chiarelli was burned on the Reinhart deal it seems unlikely he’ll heed any advice on the value of Lazar now.

Good point.

147. JustWatt says:

106 and 106:

Best story ever. Makes so much sense in sports.

I really like your application of this principle. By my estimation, we’ve had one game in each category so far:

Win no matter what: Game 1

Lose no matter what: Game 3

The Middle that matter: Game 2

Feel free to disagree but by that standard the Oilers have won the one game that could have gone either way. I choose to believe this because it means I don’t have to light my hair on fire and run around like a headless chicken shouting about this team. Yet. 🙂

148. Bag of Pucks says:

LMHF#1: Haven’t seen anything to date that would indicate such a high ceiling. What’s the rationale here?

8. Darnell Nurse — Sault Ste. Marie LD

Has huge upside. Big and strong with great upper body strength
    despite still being a beanpole. Wait until he adds a few pounds to that
    hulking frame 6’5″ frame. He’s just miserable to play against now; throws
    opponents around with authority and plays a mean, nasty game. Throws
    big hits both along the boards and in open ice. Has a very long stride
    and reach with good lateral movement. Plays a positionally steady
    game in own end. Strong penalty killer who uses his body/stick to
    eliminate shooting and passing lanes. Cleans men out in front of net.
    Clears rebounds and ties up his check preventing second chances. Can
    be a dominant force and top pairing shutdown defender. Offensive
    game emerged in 2nd half. Started moving up into the rush decisively,
    showing good timing and instincts. Makes a good first pass and skates
    with his head up, looking to make plays. Also shows recovery speed.

Projection: Top pairing d-man who logs huge minutes.
    Style compares to: Alex Pietrangelo

And bloodlines…

149. Hope is a good thing says:

Talbot faced 24 shots in the first period in Calgary – he was the #1 reason they got 2 points, imo. I am guessing his wife was still about to have twins then. I believe he’ll be ok.

Some games you don’t play well (like last night) and your D and offence bail you out.
    Some games your D turn over pucks or allow slot shots (like last night) and you find a way to win.
    Some games your offence generates plenty of quality chances but you can’t seem to cash (like last night), but your goalie steals one for you.

Some games none of those things happen, and you lose 6-2 to Buffalo.

Learn from it, be professional and be ready for the next game. It’s an 82 game marathon, don’t let one cramp take you out of the race. I still like the gm, coach, and team. .666 hockey so far. Breathe.

Personally, I liked the way they played hard to the end instead of quitting and playing no-hit, don’t give a shit hockey like they did far too often in years gone by.

150. JustWatt says:

So now I can’t?

/thread

151. G Honey Pie Sugar Bunch says:

JustWatt,

If you do, please wear your Oilers jersey and post the video, as it will make for an endless supply of perfect “Yes I’m an Oilers fan, wotzit to ya” memes and avatars!

152. G Honey Pie Sugar Bunch says:

G Honey Pie Sugar Bunch:
    So a couple of guys showed careless use of their posts and LT … benched ’em?

Gold (Digger), Jerry, Gold (Digger)!

I’m glad LT used his Power wisely.

153. G Honey Pie Sugar Bunch says:

G Honey Pie Sugar Bunch: I’m glad LT used his Power wisely.

I’m sure it will only make the posters who were timed out Stronger.

154. G Honey Pie Sugar Bunch says:

G Honey Pie Sugar Bunch: I’m sure it will only make the posters who were timed out Stronger.

Sorry, it’s not that I’m Heartless, it’s just that I can’t help myself.

Luckily those are the only Kanye songs I know, or this thing would go on forever.

155. JustWatt says:

G Honey Pie Sugar Bunch,

And now I know how I’m going to achieve my 15 minutes of fame. Bless you sir!

156. G Honey Pie Sugar Bunch says:

JustWatt,

Exactly! We must all contribute what we can. My shtick is confusing numbers, Walls of Text(tm), and bad jokes, but yours can make you immortal!

157. kev says:

re: Pouliot: perhaps I am I misremembering but didn’t he start out last year with a game (or two?) of bad penalties and he came forward and stated he knew it and would be better with that. And he was? Today he owned it again and while I think “really, again!?” I feel better knowing he can and will tamp it down again.

Anyway, disappointed they lost a good chance at 2 points in craptacular fashion. Feel bad for those fans who paid their hard earned dollars on this particular game, too.

LB called up, hope to see him play some. Sure hope Gustavsson is ok.

158. LMHF#1 says:

Bag of Pucks: http://www.redlinereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/2013-Sample-Package.pdf

8. Darnell Nurse — Sault Ste. Marie LD

Has huge upside. Big and strong with great upper body strength
    despite still being a beanpole. Wait until he adds a few pounds to that
    hulking frame 6’5″ frame. He’s just miserable to play against now; throws
    opponents around with authority and plays a mean, nasty game. Throws
    big hits both along the boards and in open ice. Has a very long stride
    and reach with good lateral movement. Plays a positionally steady
    game in own end. Strong penalty killer who uses his body/stick to
    eliminate shooting and passing lanes. Cleans men out in front of net.
    Clears rebounds and ties up his check preventing second chances. Can
    be a dominant force and top pairing shutdown defender. Offensive
    game emerged in 2nd half. Started moving up into the rush decisively,
    showing good timing and instincts. Makes a good first pass and skates
    with his head up, looking to make plays. Also shows recovery speed.

Projection: Top pairing d-man who logs huge minutes.
    Style compares to: Alex Pietrangelo

And bloodlines…

159. BONE207 says:

Jethro Tull:
    2 x tix to the Gagner West concert. PM me.

Jethro…The boss is going to find out if you have an Aqualung if you keep it up.

At least the air is clearing of the smoke from this morning. I’ve heard about doom & gloom, cancer & something about a Nolan guy.

Yes they blew that game. I’d rate it as one of the 25 they should have won due to Buffalo’s injury situation.
    I read this: Pouliot is never going to stop what he does. He’s too old.
    He may be French speaking, dumb but not too old. He forechecks with enthusiasm for sure. What he is though, is reckless. One hand on the stick placing it where people either step on it or bite it. A second hand on the stick more often would probably be all he needs to do. A kick in the ass and a pointer in the right direction would resolve his play I believe.

Great reading though LT and gang. Now back to talk of credible hockey and musical acts. Instead of West, let’s head south…to Hanna & Nickleback…

160. BONE207 says:

Bag of Pucks:
    Seems like a good day to suggest other discussion topics that should be banned.

I’d be ok with us never discussing the following:

1) Feminine hygiene products
    2) Today’s weather
    3) Personal tatoos and the significant meaning(s) they carry for the bearer
    4) Reality tv
    5) Things your cellphone can do (you bought it, you didn’t invent it)
    6) Aesthetic qualities of athlete’s bodies
    7) The 1986 and 1989 NHL postseasons
    8) The Mike Comrie and Tommy Salo soap opera
    9) The lost decade of Oilers hockey
    10) My wife’s sexual history prior to my arrival on the scene

I’ll sign the banning of the above. LT…you have the control. Make it so…

161. Bag of Pucks says:

G Honey Pie Sugar Bunch: Sorry, it’s not that I’m Heartless, it’s just that I can’t help myself.

As near as I can tell, the only instruments he can play, err….program, are drum machines and samplers with a rudimentary ability on the piano cited for musical ‘street cred.’

I wonder if the members of Rush would consider him a fellow musician?

162. Jethro Tull says:

BONE207: Jethro…The boss is going to find out if you have an Aqualung if you keep it up.

I would also be obliged if you let the police do the policing.

163. Bag of Pucks says:

LMHF#1: Okay, but given that almost none of that has shown up in his NHL, not even the glimpses you’d usually see in even the most far-off prospect…I just don’t see it.

Now, try to imagine learning how to win a Formula One race in the next 12 months.

That’s a good analogy for learning to become a top pairing defenceman in the NHL.

Patience.

164. pocession charge says:

JDï™: From the Oilers’ site:

The Oilers have taken the ice for practice at Rogers Place.

Stay tuned for further updates, news, notes and interviews throughout today.

He actually plays in the same rec hockey league as me. And with Talbot’s game where it is right now, he might be better.

165. stephen sheps says:

Jethro Tull,

not to get involved in the rest of the convo, but you know that aqualung is your namesake’s most notable record, right? I think he was also playing off some puns for laughs… could be wrong though. it’s been a strange day, both here at LT’s place and in real life.

166. pocession charge says:

Bag of Pucks: Kanye’s wikipedia entry describes him as ‘among the most acclaimed musicians of the 21st century.’

I wonder if the members of Rush would consider him a fellow musician?

Kanye is a genius. And he loves fish sticks.

167. BONE207 says:

Jethro Tull: I don’t know what this means. I can only assume your autocorrect is playing up. My comments are designed to be so ridiculous that they can’t be serious. Other posters’ were very serious about something that was ridiculous. Players go out all the time, visit friends on the road and such. LT is probably monitoring pretty closely and as long as my comments do not cross the line, which I believe was linking player performance to what they do in their own time, I will be safe.

I would also be obliged if you let the police do the policing.

I was merely warning you that LT may try drowning you and testing that Aqualung. No autocorrect problem here. I fully comprehend what you are doing. It’s funny as hell too. Hell, even if I had known Kanye was in town, I would hope that the team has better musical tastes. Not Anne Murray tastes though. ☺☺

Sorry LT…Anne Murray is an icon.

168. stevezie says:

I’m trying hard to respect the ban on a certain conversation topic, but people keep saying patently ridiculous things. Granted they are a different kind of ridiculous thing than this morning…

I won’t take you on. But I will leave you with the wise words of a great muppet.

(Narrowly beating out a recent Nobel laureate’s thoughts on criticising and understanding)

169. linkfromhyrule says:

stephen sheps: also, does anyone here have any tips or hacks for breaking the security on a PDF?

I run into this extremely annoying problem all the time. Figured out a decent fix.

Click and drag the pdf into chrome or firefox (not 100% sure this works in firefox), and it should load in the tab. Click print and print the file to pdf (you may need to download a “print to pdf” plugin. Should resave as a new pdf and delete the security settings. I hope this isn’t for anything illegal!! Haha

170. stephen sheps says:

linkfromhyrule,

no it’s totally legit. was given a homework assignment for a potential job but the document they sent was locked and I need some of the data for the project. I figured out a fix, but I’ll try that trick anyway! thanks

171. Jethro Tull says:

stephen sheps,

BONE207,

Hey, no worries, guys.

And I keep telling you, I R+D agricultural tools, equipment and techniques. Are you suggesting a chamber music quartet have stolen my name? It’ll be that Vivaldi, I’ll be bound.

Still, here’s to getting a win tomorrow night!

172. Walter Sobchak says:

Bag of Pucks: Remember when you were leaning to drive? Compare that to how good a driver you are now.

Patience.

Sorry, comparing him to Hedman is a little to forward on the projection scale IMO.

Yet, I agree that he’ll be better than Gudbranson which leads me to my original post that he could be a piece to use for Lindholm or Trouba, both are projecting well ahead of Nurse, although Trouba did have a regression last year.

173. Rebilled says:

LB and JDD?

JDD??

JDD???

THIS TEAM AMAZES ME

174. theres oil in virginia says:

RexLibris:
    4. Is it now more “real” than the evening news?

When was the evening “news” ever real?

Holy smokes, I thought my wife and I had the last two. (Psst, they sell batteries on the interwebs.)