G5 2016-17: BLUES AT OILERS

The Edmonton Oilers have had a fairly easy schedule so far this season, the Calgary Flames (twice), Buffalo Sabres and Carolina Hurricanes representing the second division of the current NHL. Tonight? One of the big boys is coming to town, and this is a test. For the second time this season, the Oilers could get blown out.

HAMMER ON A DRUM, YEAR OVER YEAR

• Oilers in October 2015: 0-4-0, goal differential -8
  • Oilers in October 2016: 3-1-0, goal differential +2

I think the Oilers are in a little trouble here, this game could go sideways in a hurry. Despite the record, Edmonton has been inconsistent—typical of a young team trying to climb the standings. St. Louis? They are tigers in a cage, every damned game. And oh yeah, they lost on Tuesday.

• Jeremy Rutherford: Hitch on Yakupov: “Yesterday was his best game. We moved him up (the lineup) based on his play. He’s got an element that we need.” Source

I will trust Ken Hitchcock never, so expect him to use Nail all night in a feature role if it is working, and Nail Nail’s ass to the bench if it isn’t working. He sees the opportunity for an edge and is playing that card. Good for him, gamesmanship has its place. I do hope Nail does well and receives a warm welcome.

DEFENSE SCF-SCA (5X5)

defense-scf-sca

These are pretty good numbers across the board, but we are going to have to be aware of the McDavid WOWY effect. If a defenseman is spending a lot of time with McDavid, the skew is pretty damned strong. Russell is 10-5 (66.7) with McDavid, 13-12 (52.0) without—and that is a helluva push.

DEFENSE WOWY MCDAVID (5X5)

defense-wowy-mcdavid

• The Fayne numbers are in a very small sample size, in fact all of these numbers are too small to trust (but Fayne’s numbers are basically nothing at all).
  • Adam Larsson and Oscar Klefbom are the only pairing that doesn’t lose a pile of scoring chances away from McDavid—Larsson actually increases which is a helluva trick and unlikely to continue. The top pairing is playing a lot with the top line so far this season.

DEFENSIVE TIME-ON-ICE WITH MCDAVID (5X5)

1. Adam Larsson 29:16
  2. Oscar Klefbom 26:07
  3. Kris Russell 24:19
  4. Andrej Sekera 18:58
  5. Darnell Nurse 15:55
  6. Eric Gryba 6:04
  7. Brandon Davidson 1:28
  8. Mark Fayne 1:25

Sekera has been my early defensive MVP, interesting to see that he is playing far less with McDavid (while also delivering excellent results). All of this information is early, but as we approach Game 20 we will have another look at things to see how (especially the top 5D) the icetime is being doled out.

FORWARDS SCF-SCA (5X5)

forwards-scf

• No surprise here, the scoring chance numbers on the McDavid line are amazing and I don’t think that number is going to change a lot—even if and when Eberle or Lucic move to the 2line.
  • The 2line (Pouliot—Nuge—Kassian) is good not great, you would like to see them above 50 percent across the board.
  • The 3line (Maroon—Draisaitl—Slepyshev) actually looks like the 2line based on scoring chances, I wonder if this trio is getting the easier minutes (as we have discussed at length) against the soft parade. A third scoring line is vital—especially if the Nuge line continues to struggle.
  • I wonder if we see Lucic—Draisaitl at some point in the coming days. Tonight is a game I am concerned about—St. Louis is an excellent NHL team—and we could see some line shuffling if the game gets past a two goal Blues advantage.
  • All numbers here.

ABOUT JESSE

The Oilers sat Jesse Puljujarvi in Game 4 and there is a chance he sits again. Down on the farm, Jujhar Khaira scored two goals while centering the top line for the Condors as the AHL season got underway. JP is a special case, because he is a special player. In order for Todd McLellan to send the young Finn down, he would have to believe that his young winger would benefit from the experience more than staying with the big club and learning on the job. It is a difficult decision and could go either way. We can all agree he has to play, so if JP is out again tonight it may indicate a switch out, and Khaira appears poised to be the man heading to the NHL.

REGRESSION TO THE MEAT

Connor McDavid scored six points in the first two games and then has been shutout in the last two games. This leaves us wondering when the next breakout game will occur, but in truth 97 had all kinds of chances in the Carolina game (setting up Lucic and Nuge, among others). It is important to remember that in any season there can be incredible surges up and down—and that luck works both ways. If Connor McDavid doesn’t score tonight, take heart. Regression sounds like a bad word, but it does work in both directions.

LOWDOWN WITH LOWETIDE

A fun morning, with some things in play and not yet form. Scheduled to appear, TSN1260 at 10 this morning:

• Rob Vollman, Hockey Statistician. Author of the wildly successful Stat Shot will visit and discuss the Oilers so far. Very early, but I would like to drill down on all the goals—against and for—and discuss early points of interest like Kris Russell and Jesse Puljujarvi.
  • Frank Seravalli, TSN. The Calder race looks like it is going to be a phenomenon, and these Oilers are in a playoff spot this morning—how long will it last?

485 Responses to "G5 2016-17: BLUES AT OILERS"

« Older Comments
  1. jp says:

Hot Damn!!!

Time for the parade!!!

But seriously, who’d a thunk the Oilers were going to knock off the Blues tonight?

Nice to see, and real progress appears to have been made.

Also. Talbot is back on track.

2. flyfish1168 says:

What is just as good as an Oiler win. A Phlegm loss.

3. hags9k says:

Awesome win.

4. Bulging Twine says:

speed!

5. LMHF#1 says:

A hockey team?

That was a solid win. Good job by Dad.

7. Ice Sage says:

Best game in eons.
    The danger #’s should be close.

8. Oil2Oilers says:

Did the Oilers win because MOAR BIGGER?

Or goalering?

Or McDavid?

Or PTO?

9. Frank the dog says:

Strength vs strength regulation win. Now its a matter of learning consistency.
    Good job boys!

10. OilClog says:

Beat the Blues in regulation

Beat Hitchcock

Space jam returning to theatres

Woooooo

11. Yak Efron says:

We can haz cheezburger?

12. Side says:

How can this be? The Oilers are supposed to be a 60 something point team!

13. Réal Goudenyéu says:

That is a pretty solid win right there.

14. Bulging Twine says:

Big third for Lucic!

15. Ryan says:

That was a solid win. Good job by Dad.

Perfect outcome. Yak scores, we win!

Somewhere in the world a Corgi got its wings, but the Oilers played a mature game regardless.

16. OmJo says:

Huge bounceback by Calbot these last couple of games. Really good to see , he made some superb saves and no weak goals against.

I still think the Blues controlled the pace for 2/3 periods, but we stuck in it and turned it up a notch in the third.4-1 to start the season is never a bad thing!

And Connor McDavid can still say he’s never gone three games without a point.

17. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

There were some spotty moments (the Gryba penalty being particularly bad) but overall I thought the team did a great job of forcing St Louis to the outside. Not ideal because you don’t have possession but effective in keeping the HDSC low (hopefully my eyes line up with the numbers).

Connor McDavid should have had four points tonight. Far and away Lucic’s best game, seemed quicker tonight, Nurse I thought had a pretty effective game. There was some fire but I also saw him skate it out, make a simple play and dump rather than rush, good arrows.

Talbot was dialed in. Excellent game, excellent game!

18. Lucinius says:

OIlers remain unbeaten when I don’t watch them play. Hrm.

Good to see the win; almost as good is the Flames losing. Unfortunate Anaheim and LA won, but hopefully Vancouver will lose, but I hold little hope of that; Buffalo seems to be getting revenge on the Oilers for the McDavid lotto by losing to our divisional rivals after thumping us.

19. Ice Sage says:

OilClog:
    Beat the Blues in regulation

Beat Hitchcock

Space jam returning to theatres

Woooooo

and Yak gets some love (but not too much)

20. Water Fire says:

G Punny Bunches of Stats:
    Water Fire,

You are heretofore “Walter Fire”.

If it’s any consolation, Kinger heretofore should be called “Klinger_Oil”

I’ll take that

21. Klima's_Bucket says:

The Taylor/Tyler debate may or may not have been settled when Pitlick tipped in that dandy.
    Nice to see Yak score and the Blues lose.

22. Derek says:

Natural Stat Trick has it as: http://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20162017&game=20060

Percentages:

Oilers %
    CF – 41.5
    FF – 44.6
    SF – 43.4
    SCF – 54.6
    HDCF – 63.6

Lost the shot battle, won the chances battle. I’m not sure what this means for this team but I do know its been a long goddamned time since the Edmonton Oilers outchanced St.Louis in a game.

23. Bag of Pucks says:

Beating the Blues at their own game. That has to be progress.

They would’ve lost this game in overtime last season.

24. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Derek,

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:

Talbot was dialed in. Excellent game, excellent game!

The eye test succeeds!

25. G Sunny Bunches of Yaks says:

All the fancies were in the Blues favour except for two:

Dangerous Fenwick … and the score!

26. Ice Sage says:

Lucinius:
    OIlers remain unbeaten when I don’t watch them play. Hrm.

27. hags9k says:

I thought Russel was very good again, including a great sequence in the second where he nearly setup a McDavid goal.

An actual NHL defenseman. Who knew?

28. stevezie says:

böök¡je:
    Just got home and I don’t even feel like turning the game on. I really think the 10 years of ‘Oilers’ has damaged my ability to have faith in this team.

I was at the 6-2 game and all I saw was that the opposition could pretty much shut down McDavid because they don’t have other offensive threats to worry about.Hall and McDavid on the same team cause problems for other teams because they can’t zero in on him.I was told that I had to watch Larsson before I could judge the trade.I know it has only been 4 games, but I see him as a solid defenceman who makes mistakes at times.It doesn’t surprise me because that is what he was in NJ.

You just can’t lose trades like that and expect to ever compete for anything but a playoff spot.

The Yak trade is far less of a concern. How they managed Yak (who I admit may never really make it) is almost criminal.

I know they are 3-1, but outside of McDavid, I don’t see a lot of things to be excited about on this team right now.

I HOPE I am just bitter and wrong and I fully admit that is possible, but I don’t think this is a well managed team and without good management, you don’t ever compete for anything significant.

Anyway, I’m turning the game on.Let’s see what happens.

You’re right about everything.

I started watching Seinfeld re runs in the third and we were winning a one goal game.

Hitchcock hockey and damaged enthusiasm. It’ll come back.

29. G Sunny Bunches of Yaks says:

Oilers shots were 9 ft closer on average, 28 ft to 37 ft!

30. Younger Oil says:

VERY impressive to win.

Important to note we are only 1-0 against last year’s playoff teams, but picking up points early in the season like this is a BIG deal.

31. JustWatt says:

Bulging Twine:
    Big third for Lucic!

He looked great all period for sure. Even took the figure skates out for a shift!

32. Rebilled says:

All Ye Faith in Father Talbot.

Great game.

33. Water Fire says:

Turn made.

I caught the third, and that was a stable looking team with speed and making good hockey plays. Do that for 20 more and watch the offense start to ignite, even more.

Talbot is doing what he needs to, and congrats to he and the missus.

Having guys like Pitlick and Sleps playing well makes a huge difference. Big fast guys with hands that can cash a few and keep the enemy at bay.

This should be a huge confidence builder, good on the whole lot of them, coaches too.

34. Ebsonfire says:

It’s a good day. Thank the gords.

35. Water Fire says:

G Sunny Bunches of Yaks:
    Oilers shots were 9 ft closer on average, 28 ft to 37 ft!

Damn that systems coach!

36. G Sunny Bunches of Yaks says:

I’ll have the post-game up in a few minutes, but in the meantime, enjoy this ‘shots against’ rink map of the bulletproofiness of KlefLar:

37. Centre of attention says:

Interviewer: -chuckles- “Did you think you would be that open for your goal?”

Yak: “you think its a bad goal? You chirping me?”

Yak seemed a little on edge in the post-game interview. Doesn’t seem to appreciate the Edmonton media frenzy.

38. Ryan says:

Ebsonfire:
    It’s a good day. Thank the gords.

It’s a good day.

The antiMoarbiggar crowd is smoking the drapes.

The ‘Bruinization’ of the Oilers is very good thing,

We haven’t seen these Oilers pushed out of a game sofar. #looch.

39. square_wheels says:

stevezie,

A bit like starting the night off as T-bone but ending up as CoCo the Monkey ?

That show never gets old. But being an Oiler fan, at times, sure can.

40. Clay says:

Best thing about the game tonight is Talbot looked really solid. That’s the key here – if the Oilers get league-average goaltending for most the season, we’ll have some meaningful games past Christmas. And he looked capable of that and more tonight.

In position, reading plays, rebound control (mostly), not much if any scrambling.

41. tcho says:

We just beat the St. Louis Blues. In regulation.

No, really.

That’s pretty cool. Not feeling much like critiquing this win.

(Oh, and the Phlegms lost in reg. :-))

42. square_wheels says:

G Sunny Bunches of Yaks,

Really, 4 shots from the edge of Ricki’s box, that is it ?

Jeebus, thats impressive.

The polarizing Russel, any further thoughts on my “cheating gap” theory ?

43. Picturesque says:

Impressive game from Lucic – he seems to have that extra gear in particular games (remember that playoff comeback win against Toronto?) I think tonight this was Lucic playing against a contender and stepping up to show his worth. It would be ideal if he played like this every game!

44. treevojo says:

I find it amazing that talbot can still stop the puck while being a father.

Everybody knows that goaltending is a single mans game.

All the greats never had time to make kids. Too focused on stopping the puck.

What an idiot. Ruined his career for one night of fun.

45. Radiusofnerdature says:

Proud parenting moment today. My 3.5 y/o daughter came downstairs, saw me reading Lowetide on the computer and started clapping, yelling “yaay hockey, me team! Go oiler!” My wife just shook her head and glared at me.

I’ll pay for this but it was worth it!

46. treevojo says:

I sure hope mcdavid never decides to spawn.

His feet will instantly turn to jelly and his hands to stone.

Should probably consider castration before he ruins his career.

47. Bulging Twine says:

Elliott 4 goals on 32 shots.
    Ding
    another hit to the confidence

48. Gordies Elbow says:

They’re playing 5 game segments, per McLellan.

This was the first 5 games, and they ended up 5gp – 4w- 1l – 0t – 8pts – 4row – 20gf – 16ga – +4

What does the next five game segment look like?

49. Bulging Twine says:

Purcell 2nd Healthy scratch for LA

50. Younger Oil says:

Jake Allen: “They’re not the Oilers of the past few years.”

51. Ice Sage says:

Younger Oil,

He had to play a great game and I bet he was surprised how reactive he had to be – Oilers, esp top line penetrated lots.

52. Réal Goudenyéu says:

Gordies Elbow:
    They’re playing 5 game segments, per McLellan.

This was the first 5 games, and they ended up5gp – 4w- 1l – 0t – 8pts – 4row – 20gf – 16ga– +4

What does the next five game segment look like?

Wpg>was>van>Ott>tor

53. LMHF#1 says:

They might just have enough guys on the team now who can will you through a third period. Guys that know how to win and expect it.

Would hope to see them move to solidify the D with one more strong player in the next ten games, and go from there. You can wait until the deadline for a winger if that’s relevant at the time.

Show the team you mean it. Reward the results and the effort.

54. treevojo says:

Prime example

7th rounder lucic

Chose Edmonton cause it was a nice place to raise a family and that moron chia backed up the brinks truck.

Can’t keep up with mcdavid. Can only beat a puck square within 3 feet of the net.

#anchor

55. G Sunny Bunches of Yaks says:

Post-game! Some interesting things

Trigger warning: minor Russell rant (mostly cut&pasted from an earlier comment here)

56. Little Poteet says:

Réal Goudenyéu: Wpg>was>van>Ott>tor

That looks like it could be 4-1 again. One outdoor game, 2 at home against the better teams, and 2 on the road. I bet we score less this segment, unless McDavid really victimizes Toronto in front of his family and friends again 🙂

Comments out of the locker room interesting tonight and this from Bob is a good bit

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 48m48 minutes ago

Oilers came into tonight 29th in FO%. Lander, Draisaitl, RNH, McDavid all above 53%. Alex Steen went 2-17. Oil did little things to earn win

58. Little Poteet says:

G Sunny Bunches of Yaks,

This summary is good stuff G, thank you! KlefLar only allowing 4 shots against at events is incredible, and all from the outside too. Also noticed that seems like vs Gryba Nurse, all the shots came from Grybas half of the rink.
    Another note saw how badly Nuge and friends performed via shot shares. Sleppy I thought had a good night and at times it seemed like Nuge was the only oiler who could advance the puck through the neutral zone. I did notice that it didn’t ever result in much. I feel more like Nuge and Pou are great off the Rush but their possession game down low had problems tonight. Are they doing the heavy lifting when it comes to Qualcomp? I had a hard time noticing which blues were on the ice when tonight

59. who says:

Well they beat the Blues at their own game. Probably a good sign but goddam is that ever boring hockey to watch. The only good hockey was after the Blues got behind and had to press.
    What am I missing on Russell. There are actually guys on this thread saying he was bad tonight? To me he is the same player he was in Calgary. Makes good reads has quick feet and a quick stick and can move the puck out of our zone. The only thing he struggles with is handling guys physically, down low. I think you can throw your fancystats on him out the window.
    Yakupov looked pretty good tonight. One of the more dangerous Blues. Do you think we would have a more balanced attack with Yak with Connor and Eberle with Nuge? I know he is a long way from being a great player but he has the ability to create something out of very little. Still don’t understand that trade.

60. Gerta Rauss says:

Another nice effort against a good hockey club

Still room for improvement but I’m going to enjoy the 4-1 start

Scoring from the bottom 6 of the roster again tonight-it’s a thing

61. Hall of Shame says:

Ice Sage: Yes, now if only Vancouver would start acting like the bottom feeders they’re supposed to be… might have to wait till the 28th

Hands up everyone who had the Dys and Oil top of leaderboard rounding the first mirage.

62. Hall of Shame says:

Little Poteet: This summary is good stuff G, thank you! KlefLar only allowing 4 shots against at events is incredible, and all from the outside too.

Another fine night from Klefbomaniac and Larssony

63. G Sunny Bunches of Yaks says:

Little Poteet,

Thanks!

Yeah, Nuge had a tough go of it. I thought both Poo and Kassian were not very good. Really poor game from Poo given expectations.

They were matched against the Tarasenko-Stastny line all night, which partially explains the numbers, that’s a frightening line to face.

64. OF17 says:

Great work on the post-game, G. Never paid much attention to Russell on other teams, but I’m glad that my eyes aren’t completely failing me when it comes to identifying effective hockey 🙂

65. wheatnoil says:

G Sunny Bunches of Yaks:
    Post-game!Some interesting things

Connor McDangerFenwick indeed.

66. Zelepukin says:

wheatnoil: DangerFens are interesting. The Oilers can lose the corsi battle but McDavid their way to a DangerFenwick win.

Connor McDangerFenwick indeed.

Agreed on the Russell rant too. I’ve said from the beginning, you just need a D pairing who don’t fall completely apart against top lines and are capable of getting the puck to McD. That’s it. If you can do that with speed then chances are you’re on the ice for a + or worst case spend most of the shift in the offensive zone. We didn’t have anyone last year who could do that well, so there were far too many McD shifts wasted by ferencing the puck away.

67. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

So on Russell, is it possible that his fancies were a by-product of just how craptacular the Phlegms have been over the last several years defensively? What do his numbers look like with St Louis and Columbus back at the beginning of the decade? (this may be a tricky issue because at some point we have to take into account his age back then as well).

I was watching last Friday’s game with a Flames friend and he had nothing but good things to say about Russell. Good pass, gets in the way, knows his role, great in the dressing room etc etc. My friend knows a few of the Flames and said that the Oilers/Flames basically did a tit for tat with Versteeg and Russell. Russell had been working out with the Flames guys all offseason and there was big hope among the team that they would be able to resign him this year. I’m not in anyway planning the parade here but as the games keep coming (and if he keeps up this pace) we may have to give Chia kudos for finding another diamond in the rough.

68. Oilspill says:

Russell is playing very well. We’ll enough that he’ll get 5 mil next year.

who:
    Subscribe to our RSS FeedFollow us on Twitter

HomeContact

69. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

Also the team has four more outings with PoolParty before they lose a year so two questions come to mind.

1) Do the Oilers still lose a year even if they send him to Bakersfield after 9 games?

2) Do we see him draw in against Winnipeg, Washington, Van or Ottawa? All the lines seem to be rolling rather well (I”d like more scoring/offensive chances) so I don’t think there is reason enough to sit a guy like Sleppy or Lander right now and can’t see TMac dropping Kassian or Poo. Should they just send him down for the time being?

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:

JP has played in three NHL games.

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!:

We have to wait and see. Russell has had three poor possession years in a row after a nice run. Was it usage? Partner? Erosion? We will find out but need more time. He has looked good so far but his possession number is not steller. Many miles to go.

72. Gino says:

böök¡je,

Welcome back

73. jake70 says:

Went to bed at 1-1, expected the score to be 4-1 STL when I got up. They may crater at some point, but at least trick or treaters won’t be going out as the Oilers this year.

74. jp says:

Gino:
    böök¡je,

Welcome back

I don’t think that’s the same guy. He has an extra umlaut.

75. Oilspill says:

Retrieval % I like this Stat BUT
    A. Is it unpressured
    B. Number or forecheckers
    C. Support in place from forwards or d partner.
    Again really meaningless unless it is de-generalized.

76. SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo! says:

OK cool, I’m always a little confused with how this works. Its not the first “9 games of the season” its the first “9 games that he dresses and plays” correct?

Also saw yesterday that the Kings are expecting Quick to be out at least 3 months with his injury. While I never want to celebrate another’s injury I can’t help but think this is a good thing.

77. rickithebear says:

X
    &
    O

78. fuzzy muppet says:

Great start overall for the team, but being an Oilers fan, I still have a feeling that the rug will be yanked out from under them and will come crashing down at some point.

They really need to get a 2nd line RW to help sustain. Kassian is a decent player but he’s not top 6 material.

Get some sleep Cam, You’ve earned it!

79. Yeti says:

jp: I don’t think that’s the same guy. He has an extra umlaut.

Umlauts are like chips. You can’t have just one.

SayItAin'tSo, Gretz, SayItAin'tSo!:

Yes. He gets nine games, just like Rantanen of Colorado one year ago.

81. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

who:
    Yakupov looked pretty good tonight. One of the more dangerous Blues. Do you think we would have a more balanced attack with Yak with Connor and Eberle with Nuge? I know he is a long way from being a great player buthe has the ability to create something out of very little. Still don’t understand that trade.

Understanding the train wreck that got the player and the team into the situation is a bigger issue. Personally my dislike for McTavish and Lowe colts my judgement as to who in management/operations is the culprit.

Time to move on. I’m just enjoying a 4-1 start! Hall and Yak can go on to have success, that’s fine and sure we can miss what they could bring, but I’d like to concentrate on the players we do have and who do want to play here.(Note: not suggesting Hall didn’t want to play here, but Yak sure didn’t).

82. G Sunny Bunches of Yaks says:

SayItAin’tSo, Gretz, SayItAin’tSo!,

Right now, if there’s a basic change to Russell’s game, it is because of McDavid. There is a warp field around McDavid, and (to my eye) teams are forechecking and generally playing more conservatively against McDeity.

They seem to recognize if you get caught up ice and Connor gets the puck, they. are. toast. So they hang back just that little bit, and that extra quarter second of time is enough for Russell to make the simple play, retrieve the puck or box out the attacker, and get the puck in Sekera or McDavid’s hands.

Simple and effective.

The demonstration of this is in these numbers:

Kris Russell CF% with Connor McDavid: 48% (+2% rel) <- 5% above last years #s on both measures
    Kris Russell CF% w/o Connor McDavid: 43% (-5% rel) <- in line with last years #s

So the irony is that both the pro and con Russell sides can declare that they're on Gords side.

Here's where it gets interesting:

Kris Russell xGF% w Connor McDavid: 58%
    Kris Russel xGF% w/o Connor McDavid: 62%

Whaaaaaaaat?!?! Who saw that coming?

The real answer now is: which of those two is going to correct? And where will the numbers settle?

While those numbers give us an idea of what's happened so far (and it fully jives with the eye test), we only have about a third of the data we need to have confidence in the predictivity of these numbers.

Another 10 games (=~ 150 mins of WOWY TOI) and those numbers will stabilize close to where they're going to be for the season, which I pretty much guarantee will be lower than they are now … but how much lower!

Then let's draw some conclusions about what Kris Russell is likely to be as an Edmonton Oiler.

Til then it's mostly pointless small sample bickering.

83. who says:

Walter Gretzkys Neighbour: Yak is a pretty good player who stated pretty clearly both verbally and by some reports by his behaviour that he wanted out of Edmonton. So understanding the trade isn’t the issue. The player said “trade me” and his performance was totally compromised as a nOiler forever thereafter.

Good comparison would be Drouin or even Stamkos in Tampa. They both seem to have had issues with their coach or usage and Drouin demanded a trade and yet they are both still in Tampa and contributing to a good team. The difference is that Yzerman didn’t cave in to a trade request.
    I have no problem with the Hall trade because they addressed an area of need and got a quality asset back.

84. Walter Gretzkys Neighbour says:

who: Yeah I understand the reasons for the Yak trade and I was not against trading him. Just didn’t want to trade him for next to nothing which is what they did.

Completely agree with you. The sad issue is the “management” gurus who contributed to this. It feels like Chiarelli – unlike Yzerman was really put in a completely no win situation. Yak may have bolted for the KHL potentially for literally nothing had they said he was to report to Bakersfield. They didn’t get a viable return for him but sometimes that happens (more often to the Oilers it seems though doesn’t it?)

« Older Comments